[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You here a lot of negativity towards DaS2 here, what are some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: images (3).jpg (18 KB, 531x277) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
18 KB, 531x277
You here a lot of negativity towards DaS2 here, what are some things that went right?
>>
>>329625997
fist styles
>>
Scholar of the First Sin is pretty excellent. Burnt Ivory King is the best fight in the series.
>>
Greathammer moveset. Love pancaking things with that R2 and one-handed moveset? So well needed, be the knight I gotta be.

I hope they do it as good for DaS 3.
>>
>>329625997
The Dlc was really good and the environments were awesome, however the geography of the locations and fairness weren't handled very well.
>>
>>329625997
Majula was fucking great. It's just a great atmosphere to hang out at. And that great view of future parts of the game.
>>
I liked the variety of swag.
>>
Weapons, armor and magic where all pretty gud
>>
First few areas are great, as are the DLC areas (barring the co-op parts).
Lots of nice equipment too. Good variety for fashion.
Also, four rings.
>>
The social element is great. The satisfaction of helping someone with a boss that's really giving them hell is magnificent in this game and with so many people playing now it's really enjoyable.
>>
>>329626084

Completly neglected
>>
>>329626747
Bone fist would like a word.
>>
>dark souls 2 hater
>get sotfs for $30 because why not, heard the DLC was good (never played it, wanted to try before 3 came out)
>play the game, it's alright, better than vanilla but still horrible in the ways that originally made it horrible
>beat the old ones + velstadt
>"OK FINALLY time to play the DLC!"
>somehow manage to delete my profile??
>tfw i have to play through this shit AGAIN to get to the so-called "good" part of it
fuck
>>
I actually love playing the game as fume knight its a really unique playstyle especially when dealing with invaders
>>
Being able to roll in any direction while locked on felt great
>>
Honestly, the only con was the level design. Felt like they dropped the metroidvania thing and just went with four linear paths followed by one longer linear path.

The humanoid-heavy bosses don't bother me, which is an unpopular opinion apparently. If you take out the obvious filler bosses like Dragonrider, there are still just as many unique bosses as the other games. I just consider the humanoid bosses as extras.
>>
All types of magic viable in both PvP and PvE (before nerfs due to community bitching).
PvP is a lot better balanced and no longer revolves about backstab baiting backstab fishers who lagstab.
Parry actually works properly online.
More build variety and some truly unique and fun weapon movesets out there.
Covenants are better designed even if they are still kidna shit.
Story is nice if you have SotFS.
Raime is the best Classic Souls boss in terms of difficulty and design.
>>
It actually had(still has) good multiplayer.
>>
The more streamlined areas make replaying it not an absolute chore like in dark souls
Warping keeps backtracking to the bare minimum and always keeps the game flowing
Much better connectivity and online
Much better stat balance and weapon balance
The changes to rolling and equip burden made fighting multiple enemies fun and fluid instead of an obnoxious chore
Theres never a dip in quality so big it near ruins the game like the lord areas in dark souls
The dlc is fantastic
Weapon variety is great
>>
>>329627203
Holy shit this. When I went back and played DS after playing DS2, the rolls just didn't feel right.
>>
>>329627812
Eeeeeeehhhhh if there's anything ds2 really fucked up on it's the rolling and movement.
>>
https://youtu.be/dh7nTM6D-GU
Soundtracks where great
>>
4 ring slots
equip load being a separate stat
>>
>>329627460
This.
Ds2 is the fallout new vegas of the souls games.
>>
>>329627431
Raime only has difficulty going for him. Artorias is better and more interesting in every way, and isn't bogged down by a huge over saturation of knights.
>>
Flynn's ring faggots miss out on the best element Ds2 brings to the table, the magnificent selection of plate armor.
>>
File: maldron the ass.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
maldron the ass.webm
3 MB, 854x480
DaS3 already took every good mechanic DaS2 brought to the game

>warps
>L3 jump
>guard break
>rolls (direction, weight etc.)
>pancakes/golfswings
>backstab whiffs
>moveset variety (with added battle art skills)

People will hate it, compare it, deny it, whatever.
I can see DaS3 being the definitive Dark Souls game.
>>
>>329625997

Personally ds2 is an improvement over ds in most areas, the biggest issue is that levels are not connected perfectly like in the first one, and it needed a bit more love on some details.
I need to play the DLC tho.
>>
>>329625997
1. Dual wielding to a degree (dual maces were my favorite weapons).
2. Levels for the most part were still fun to go through even if they didn't make the most sense
3. Lot's of variety even if too much at times
4. Separating stamina bar and weight
5. Teleport from the beginning
6. Let's you respec your character so you don't have to keep constantly building a new one if you don't want.
7. CLOTH PHYSICS!

There may be more but this is all I got for now.
>>
>>329627460
>The more streamlined areas make replaying it not an absolute chore like in dark souls
stopped reading right here
incoherent level design and bad enemy placement plus a bonfire every two steps to compensate for this
the first game is never a chore to play because of how brilliantly connected most of the areas are
>>
File: 1449874886392.png (2 MB, 986x1000) Image search: [Google]
1449874886392.png
2 MB, 986x1000
First things that come to mind:
- The character of Lucatiel
- Bonfire aesthetic (aka the ability to higher the difficulty and fight certain bosses numerous times)
- The DLCs, especially considering some of the bosses and leveldesign (Sanctum City is outstanding)
- easily accessible/less contrived multiplayer and covenants
- a lot of build and weapon variety on paper, although the latter is maybe less unique due to similiar movesets and the former is less unique because you can change your build often in just one playthrough (soulvessel)
- Health reduction, not as brutal as DeS, but better than the nonsensical non-consequences of being in Undead form in DaS
- The Gutter & Black Gulch are cool areas I guess

Last and most important point would be that they geniunely tried. First they tried to make a somewhat presentable game out of the horrendous development, then they tried really hard to rectify alot of shit they got for elements from the maingame in the DLCs. I don't think they fully suceeded, but they tried really hard. Same with Scholar, although the extensive changes seem to have their one annoying side effects and weird quirps, atleast they made up their mind and took some things into consideration. That's more than I can say for most of the community.
>>
>>329625997
Weapon variety is pretty good. Also, I like that it's fairly easy to co-op the game with a friend.
>>
>>329625997
The longsword's moveset is exquisite.
Backstabs and parries are better.
PvP works.
Fashion.

>>329627460
>Theres never a dip in quality so big it near ruins the game like the lord areas in dark souls
Greatness followed by a torrent of shit is still preferable to sustained mediocrity desu

>>329628936
But NV is arguably the best game in its series and DS2 is indisputably the worst.
>>
Small changes that I loved:
>Soapstone improvement, with it's own menu showing all your messages.
>Poison that is actually good
>Whips and fists that are not full shit
>>
I really liked Majula.
>>
>>329630013
I didn't. Nothing happens there.
>>
File: approval.png (2 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
approval.png
2 MB, 1366x768
>>329629601
>>329629641
>Dual wielding to a degree
>Separating stamina bar and weight
>Let's you respec your character so you don't have to keep constantly building a new one if you don't want.
>CLOTH PHYSICS!
>Bonfire ASCETICS
>The DLCs, especially considering some of the bosses and level design
>Health reduction, not as brutal as DeS, but better than the nonsensical non-consequences of being in Undead form in DaS

These desu
>>
>>329630320
>Separating stamina bar and weight

But that's wrong, anon.
>>
I hope that they remove the fast travel in DS3, or at least make it a late-game thing like in DS1, and work on making the levels connect better. I really like navigating through the clusterfuck of shortcuts that I've made in DS and BB
>>
>>329630489
Go on, then. Explain why endurance dictating both stats was preferable.
>>
>>329630281
>Looks amazing
>Best song
>awesome atmosphere
>>
WILL DARK SOULS 3 HAVE BONFIRE ASECTICS? HOW WILL I RE-FIGHT BOSSES, I WANT TO DO TEST MYSELF SINCE I SUCK AT OTHER VIDYA
>>
>>329630547
Level design is like Bloodborne. Fast travel is in
>>
>>329630606
Because END and VIT are both less useful investments as a result. VIT is pretty much worthless unless you want to play dressup as a boss character or Havel because armor doesn't offer enough damage reduction to make it worth it. Also, the change to fastroll weight % means that it's a lot more trivial to manage your armor and weapons such that you won't go into midroll/fatroll territory, which further undermines the point of VIT. Combining them into one stat was better because it's logically consistent and doesn't pollute the stat pool with minimally useful stats.
>>
>>329631151
END was too good in dark souls though. Stamina is never a bad thing to have more of, and you might as well chuck on extra armor with the bonus carry weight you're going to be picking up anyway.

> because armor doesn't offer enough damage reduction to make it worth it
It seems like this plus poise being worthless is more to blame than the idea itself being bad.
>>
>>329629610
>the first game is never a chore to play
many areas in dark souls just end up being long hallways with nothing to them once you know the game, like the trek too quelag or ash lake from fire link. its very boring and doesnt let up until you get the lord vessel and it sucks having to backtrack that much.

not to mention lost izalith, dukes archives, and new londo are actual chores to play.

>>329629920
>Greatness followed by a torrent of shit is still preferable to sustained mediocrity

not in the slightest. playing undead parish is fun, then the rest of the areas are just okay, they once you reach anor londo the games trash barring the painted world which is as good as undead parish.

dark souls 2 starts out almost as strong with forest of the fallen giants, but diving faster into just okay territory, stays that way until the end barring some genuinely fun places like lost bastille, the gutter and the walk though shrine/tomb.

>>329631151
>because armor doesn't offer enough damage reduction to make it worth it
this is a flat out lie, armor in dark souls 2 is extremely stron especially once you start reacing the 200lv mark. the difference in durability between a fynns ring use with no armor, and a dude with armor is extremely noticeable, as the flynns user will get 2 shot while the armor user can take about 5-6 shots.
>>
>>329632581
I don't think armor not offering substantial damage reduction is a flaw, though. I'm just of the opinion that in Souls games (especially DS2) carry weight isn't actually so useful that it'd be too good if you got it for free with END.

>>329633476
Maybe there's more of a difference in PvP then, but even then I never felt disadvantaged playing on a character with 6 VIT wearing light armor. I only played up to SL150 also.
>>
>>329633476
New Londo and especially Dukes are better than any level in DaS2.
>>
>>329633867
what the fuck
>>
>>329633476
>dukes archives, and new londo
>chores
m8
>>
>>329633867
I have ptsd from earthen peak
>>
File: 1456445736312.gif (1 MB, 300x198) Image search: [Google]
1456445736312.gif
1 MB, 300x198
>>329625997
Absolutely nothing.

SOFS did nothing to fix the game.
The DLC enemies have enough poise to completely negate everything you throw at them.
The story is mediocre, the gameplay floaty and weak.
The music is bland and unmemorable, and all of the characters are incredibly generic and uninteresting.
Environments are absolutely awful, from design to textures to lighting.

There is absolutely no reason to play DaS2 unless you are too desperate to play a Souls game, yet burned out on DeS, DaS and BB all at once.
No amounts of "but it's actually good and your opinions are just bad!" will change all this.
>>
The menus were great. The grid structure when checking your items was so much better than DaS1
>>
Lots of weapons and armor.
Cool cloth physics.
Can't think of anything else.
>>
Character animations are better. Majula is pretty. That's it.
>>
>>329627460
Warping is horrible. Granted, there is no other way it could work for Das2's level design, but I loved the feeling of embarking on an "expedition" in DaS to get to where I wanted to go. It really gave you the sensation of traveling somewhere, and planning your route was fun. Traveling to the bottom of ash lake and back before you had the lord vessel was an endeavor. It also meant that you would have to weigh carefully just how far you were willing to proceed knowing that it may not be easy to get back. I remember once going to the very bottom of the tomb of the giants, and the feeling of fresh air and sunlight that I felt once I exited the catacombs into firelink shrine was cathartic.
>>
Did anyone ever use twinblades? Were they ever viable?
>>
>>329637553

Red iron twinblade is one of the most op weapons
>>
All magic had incredible amounts of diversity and utility.

Many more builds were viable, like Caestus builds.

This will be controversial but I like the ability to respec, though I feel like it should only be allowed once.

Keeping things to one blacksmith made it so much easier to get the upgrade you wanted instead of having to traverse the Catacombs or Anor Londo over and over.

A lot of item variety led to some clever solutions for boss fights.

A stone trader so you don't have to farm that shit for eternity.

The grass crest equivalent shield was much weaker defensively.
>>
>>329625997
Backstab animation for halberds is fucking dope
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.