[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
name a flaw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9
name a flaw
>>
Split into two games.
Dungeons are a little barren.
Can force grinding on you, especially DDS2
Final dungeons are really long and plotless which kills the pacing of the ending.

Still one of the best JRPGs ever made.
>>
Cielo.
>>
>>329535792
i will fight you
>>
>>329535778
You forgot DDS2 swapping your party members around every other second
>>
Drab visuals.
>>
>>329535792
He's just shit as a party member
>>
>>329535841
It doesn't really do that. Two party members leave and return two dungeons later, severely fucking you over if you made the mistake of using both.

It doesn't constantly swap them around and the problem is overblown by babies. That said, when I talked about grinding I was referring to this problem.
>>
First game has great atmosphere and interesting setting, second turns it into a clusterfuck with the sun killing everyone.

Also Heat got fucked over, shame because he did nothing wrong.
>>
>>329535484
It's a video game.
>>
>>329535484
Hasn't been put on the vita or ps4
I'd kill for a PS2 megaten collection. Hell I'd pay full price for individual remasters of the megaten games.
>>
looks like gay ass anime shit
>>
>>329535792
If I could report you for being an absolute faggot, I'd do it 5 times over right now.
>>
>>329536000
You have to be 18 to post here
>>
>>329536045
sorry nigga but it does look like gay ass anime shit
>>
Split in two wasn't kind to it. First game was all about creating mysteries, second one all about solving them.
>>
>>329536013
He's probably referring to him being the worst party member in combat in the first game, not anything against Cielo himself.
>>
>>329535909
Yeah the plot was a mess in 2, which is a shame cause being dropped into a cyberpunk dystopian future with a totalitarian government was a great premise until it went off the rails
>>
The fucking grind if you want to go for Demifiend and Satan. At least DDS 1 has spots for grinding. Fuck the Sun.
>>
>>329536104
Kinda ironic he's one of the best next to Gale in 2, considering those are the two you have nearly the whole game
>>
>>329536137
I disagree with the plot being a mess, I thought it was great. The setting is less compelling, but that's because it traded the slow atmospheric build up of the first game for an explosive plot.

I groaned when I started DDS2 and the totalitarian government became the plot, and was pleased when it "went off the rails" in the second half.
>>
>>329536000
>Shitting on the glorious Kaneko style
It's an obvious bait, here's a (you)
>>
>>329535484
Terrible story.
Absurd encounter rate.
Most of the dungeons are pretty shit, with either braindead puzzles or being plain boring.
The final dungeon of 2 is literally the entire second half of the game.
Have to play through the games a second time to be allowed to fight the bonus bosses, for no real reason.
>>
File: 1216173757993.jpg (20 KB, 234x293) Image search: [Google]
1216173757993.jpg
20 KB, 234x293
>>329535909
>Also Heat got fucked over, shame because he did nothing wrong.
>Get to that choice in the first game where Heat wants to fight you
>Immediately realise that it's a ploy, I'm fuckin' tight with Heat and can read his mind
>Choose to fight him
>ENJOY YOUR BAD END FOR NOT BEING AN OBLIVIOUS RETARD
>>
>>329536387
>Terrible story.
It's one of the best stories in any JRPG
>The final dungeon of 2 is literally the entire second half of the game.
It's a fifth at the most. It's also well paced and arguably needed that length for all the events to sink in properly. The real problem is how plotless it is once you enter it, which means you get all this explosive plot and then the final boss is suddenly 6 hours later when you've forgotten everything.

The rest is pretty accurate.
>>
>>329536243
I dunno, I can kinda see where you'd say that, and a lot of it was handled well with the foreshadowing in 1. But everything having to do with the ending sequence and sun segment felt like the oddest combination of confusing nonsense and cliche that kinda ruined some of the build up. While the final dungeon was the most fun out of 1 and 2 imo, story wise it felt a bit less thought out than it could've been
>>
>>329535909
Heat got kinda rape-ish during the first game with Sera though it was just only a kiss, the idea behind it though was the same. He was forcing himself on her. He wasn't aware of the real people they were based on beforehand so you can't use that as an excuse for his actions. On the 2nd game though he is slightly more justified though it is still worth pointing out that he literally became corrupt in both mind and body over it.

I still believe Heat isn't as bad as the game try to make him out to be. Wonder how much he still wanna fuck when Seraph came to be. Must been awkward for the poor guy. Wouldn't matter though as he speak in fucking Japanese at that point because even the translators didn't think anyone would unlock him.

I agree though, the whole "talk to god" thing is what ruined the 2nd game for me. The black sun otherwise was fine. I find becoming demons to protect themselves from the sun was extremely interesting. More so when you become aware of how they obtain their food supply.

Spoilers in the off chance some idiot haven't play the game and may want to now but still reading the thread for whatever reason.
>>
>>329536618
It's not nonsense. It fits perfectly with the religious mythology the game is based around, the themes the game is exploring and the plot that preceded it.

I don't see how it's cliche either. How many RPGs are that ballsy?
>>
>>329536504
>It's one of the best stories in any JRPG
Hot opinion there, buddy.
>It's a fifth at the most.
No, it's literally half. I started it with the timer at 10 hours, and I'd hit 20 hours when I finished it.
>It's also well paced and arguably needed that length for all the events to sink in properly.
You've got to be fucking joking. The only plot once you start it for the entire time up until the very end is the boss every few floors having all of 5 lines of dialogue. It absolutely destroys the pacing of the game until then, which had been very cutscene heavy, and does very little to explain what had actually happened beforehand, leaving you largely lost if you weren't keyed in on the Hinduism allegory that the game is. By the time you get to the end you're more likely to have forgotten what was going on than anything else.
>>
>>329535792
>weak to aliments
>in a smt game

i dont care if his the fastest fucker around, this is unacceptable.
>>
>>329536706
>No, it's literally half. I started it with the timer at 10 hours
You rushed through the game avoiding all the side loot and made it to the final dungeon unprepared and needed to slowly grind your way through it. You should have made it to the final dungeon near the 20 hour mark. Something went wrong with your playthrough.
>>
>>329536775
>You rushed through the game avoiding all the side loot and made it to the final dungeon unprepared and needed to slowly grind your way through it.
Yeah, no. I did all the side content available, and the only "grinding" I did in the final dungeon was not running from any battles. I also beat the few bonus bosses available for a first playthrough.
Are you going to claim next that PCSX2 somehow broke the game timer?
>>
File: 59-DDS184.jpg (42 KB, 576x448) Image search: [Google]
59-DDS184.jpg
42 KB, 576x448
The ending.
Outside of that I really liked both 1 and 2. I hated how hard the final boss was for me but I beast it.

With that said, Can someone explain the entire story to me?
>>
>>329536902
Your experience is unique. No one else will ever say they made it to the final dungeon in 10 hours without actively trying to speed through the game.
>>
File: 1370897770540.jpg (11 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1370897770540.jpg
11 KB, 184x184
>Lose the main character halfway through the 2nd game
>He comes back much later
>With the same amount of exp as when he left
>>
>>329536947
The plot is pretty straightforward. I don't know what to say about that.

If you mean what the story is actually about, it's an allegory for key Hinduism principles, particularly the journey through life(s) to enlightenment, with a modern technological twist.
>>
>>329536670
>how many JRPGs are that ballsy?

A lot of SMT, if we're using DDS as the metric, considering many of the games deal with cycles and God.

As for cliche, I had a bit of disdain for the very end in that regard, especially with the "test of will" which is found in a lot of JRPGs where God just says with no explanation "you must fight me". I think Nocturne handled the same situation better with a better explanation of your actions and their consequences in regards to this.
>>
>>329537079
My only issue was the ending. Like why the sun wanted to kill everyone.
>>
>>329537046
But that fucking fight where true Heat joins and you get all that missing XP

That's going down as one of my all time favorite fights in a game. Perfectly presented with a good usage of reintroducing the MC after absence
>>
File: 1366940769566.png (7 KB, 389x255) Image search: [Google]
1366940769566.png
7 KB, 389x255
>>329536948
I actually just went and checked the log from when I was discussing it with some people. I got to the final dungeon at 20 hours, and finished it at 30 hours. So it's a third, rather than half.
My bad.
>>
>>329537243
Because cyber shaman flipped the fuck out and overloaded the sun
>>
real speh was a dick with a god complex

real heat was tusndere but with a kind heart

real gale was a scientist

real cielo was a test baby like sera that befriended her but died from all the tests

real argilla was a fucking stupid slut that wanted speh dick and shoot real heat

damn...
>>
>>329537153
Nocturne's situation is completely different. There you have a system where fighting God, or the closest thing to it in that universe, is an intended thing, something meant to determine if you are worthy of not saving the world but shaping it to your desires.

DDS has you appealing to Brahman to not kill everyone, and that process involves but doesn't end with fighting him. It ends after Seraph achieves enlightenment. He's still frying the Earth post-final-boss.

>>329537243
Because Sera was connected to Brahman when Serph "died" and he felt her pain, and that was the last straw after all the other bullshit he had been put through.
>>
File: 1420174826657.jpg (103 KB, 300x348) Image search: [Google]
1420174826657.jpg
103 KB, 300x348
>>329537046
>when Argilla rejoins she has maybe 2 second level spells because they kill her off so quickly
The second game is a fucking mess.
>>
>>329537079
so the answer in the end was love right?

did everyone get reborn with their memories intact?
>>
>>329537318
A third is still a ludicrously large portion of the game dedicated to one dungeon with little plot going on.
>>
>>329537542
I agree.
>>
>>329537486
The word is left ambiguous. Karma sounds fitting but it could be peace or love or any hippy shit.

They were reincarnated. No, they don't remember anything because they aren't those people. They're different people who will mostly grow up to be different people, just like David and Gale really aren't that similar.
>>
>>329535484
>looks a lot like Jojo part 8 characters
Been meaning to try SMTs, is there any entry that I can emulate. Sorry for being a pirate though.
>>
File: 1453712814853.png (93 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1453712814853.png
93 KB, 300x225
>>329537046
>speh gets replaced with sera
>made her focus on fire magic
>mfw they fuse
>>
>>329537614
You can emulate just about anything that has a translation patch, was localized, and isn't on 3DS or Vita.
>>
>>329537376
Alright I guess that does make sense. I still have a problem with schrodinger though. What purpose did he serve and what was up with that transformation at the end? It feels like he was a large part of the plot but kept very vague.
>>
>>329537614
You can run both digital devil saga 1 and 2 on PCSX2. They're good entry points to the series
>>
>>329537673
He's Seraph after achieving enlightenment, effectively now part of god, there to guide himself to enlightenment and others by proxy.

The whole point of the universe in that religion is to reach enlightenment. Being reincarnated as a human with a decent life is a consolation prize for living a good life but failing to truly understand.
>>
>>329537632
>made her focus healing
>my rip n tear world of strength MC turned into a holy paladin of face raping terror by the end game

Shit was cash
>>
>yfw god is a huge fucking ship
>>
>SMTfags shit on Persona for waifu shit but love Agrilla
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5U93eyig8w

this song was surprisingly comfy.
>>
>>329537934
Argilla is a goddess.
>>
>>329537774
So wait, was Seraph the first to reach enlightenment? Or schrodinger? If the latter, were the events of DDS just another cycle of reaching nirvana?
>>
>>329537658
>>329537741
Thanks. Guess I’ll start from the PS2 games after I'm done with P3Fes.
>>
>>329537838
Brahman's design was friggin awesome. The boss itself was kinda a joke though with each character having at least one type of drain shield though
>>
>>329537981
It's not really clear. I think part of enlightenment involves becoming one with the universe and breaking free of reincarnation which could mean losing individuality and becoming part of god itself truly, so they could be the same person in a time loop or he could be a different person altogether who takes the form of Seraph as a form of symbolism for her achieving enlightenment. It's not really clear.
>>
>>329535484
Full-on retarded anime names and tropes
Split into two games for no good reason
Awful fucking pacing
Sterile bleh design
Bizarre borrowing of Hindu names and terminology without actually "getting" any of it
Basically a Persona game without the life sim
>>
File: 1429072575187.png (74 KB, 217x298) Image search: [Google]
1429072575187.png
74 KB, 217x298
>>329537838
>>
>>329538232
How does it not get any of it?
>>
>>329538136
Well I guess that's my problem with the ending really. The majority leading up to the conclusion is rather straightforward but presented in a great way with good pacing, but the ending feels very ambiguous in comparison, making it feel somewhat jarring. Ah well, given the subject matter, that's probably for the best anyway.
>>
>>329535484
dumbed down nocturne.
>>
>>329538232
Shit bait

Have a pity response
>>
I fucking find it weird how whenever I start playing a game I start to see threads about said game, what is this? Is is because I'm paying more attention to them? Anyway finished 1 yesterday it was great Heat is a fucking Uchiha and so far in 2 its better overall but it feels off somehow, Roland's Persona :^) looks great. Really looking to see how Serph and the gang were while they were alive. Also DDS2 intro is fucking great.
>>
>>329536243
The problem with DDS' plot is that the original writer fell gravely ill during production, and as a result they had to get someone else to come in and finish writing it. That's why DDS2 seemed to go in a totally different direction.
Fortunately, we're getting the original DDS story in the form of the Quantam Devil Saga books. Aside from a few small changes, DDS1 stayed pretty faithful to the original script. At least, from what I've read.
First book ended when the Embryon met with Lupa and his tribe, and I don't think the second book's out yet.
>>
>>329539317
DDS2 went in a good direction though, so I don't see the problem. I get the feeling the book will be far less interesting.
>>
No fusion
>>
>>329539382
Oh, I didn't say DDS2 went in a bad direction, just not one that anyone was expecting. Sure, the nature of 2's plot may have been vaguely hinted at during 1, but that's most likely because it had already been partially re-written due to the aforementioned original writer's absence.
I rather liked QDS, to be honest. I feel like any fan of DDS would enjoy it, too.
QDS VOL. 2 WHEN?
>>
>>329539546
I downloaded the first book and found that the .pdf was completely fucked with each page being a few sentences? Did I get a bad download or have to configure it somehow? I rarely read books on a computer.
>>
>>329535484
no social links, an awful persona spinoff
>>
>>329539607
I actually bought a hard-cover copy, so I have no idea. I don't read books on computers, either.
The day it arrived was pretty exciting, though.
>>
>>329535484
SJW-agenda pushing.
Lame easy gameplay.
>>
>>329540081
>SJW-agenda pushing.
??? nice epic i like it xD?
>>
>>329538136
>It's not really clear.
DDS in a nutshell.
>>
>>329540993
The game certainly leaves a lot up to interpretation, but I prefer that to overly expository stories.
>>
>>329535484
their neck
>>
>>329535484
Not grinding all characters can fuck you up real badly. I played it blindly and didn't know that Seraph will die and other guy will leave party so I got legit stuck because I was left with 1 decent character and 3 underleveled as fuck. Couldn't kill boss no matter what and had to give up. Because I ain't gonna grind those 3 characters for like a week.
>>
>>329540934
Are you alright?
>>
>>329535484
My main team that I used throughout the first game and a good chunk of the 2nd died one after another
Also that fact that you're forced to use Cielo when by that point you REALLY needed to level him up so status attacks don't assrape your party.
>>
>>329538136
I think what it was was that when Seraph achieved enlightenment, he/she broke free of the laws of the universe and was able to travel outside of time, thus being able to appear as Schrodinger wherever. Going along with that, even though our Seraph achieves enlightenment later on time-wise in the story, that doesn't matter because as long as Seraph achieved enlightenment somewhere the outside time stuff could happen. I always also thought that Schrodinger-Seraph was the male Serph part of Seraph due to sharing Serph's voice actor, similar to how the Seraph we play as could be seen as the female part due to sharing Sera's voice actress. In the end when they're talking to each other, they achieve the assimilation of each other and become one being. One could even say that the Schrodinger half knew on some level that his presence would help bring along the enlightenment he'd already achieved, if that makes sense. His knowledge of what was to happen (or "happened" in his mind) allowed him to know more about what the future held in terms of the enlightenment process or something like that.
>>
File: 1443033483229.jpg (226 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1443033483229.jpg
226 KB, 1920x1080
If you go into a boss fight without having a void spell for their damage type, you're fucked.
There is no hint or foreshadowing of boss elements or status effects because of the demon transformation thing.
You must grind to get void spells.
Argilla got a fucking stomachache.
Combo spell Mudoon.
>>
>>329535484
Grinding noise for Demifiend fight.
>>
>>329544290
That's a problem all SMT games tend to have. The 1st attempt at a boss is usually more of a scouting mission so you can win on the 2nd attempt.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.