[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opening a Bar with Video Games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: barcade_v1_460x285(1).jpg (46 KB, 460x285) Image search: [Google]
barcade_v1_460x285(1).jpg
46 KB, 460x285
Hey /v/,

I'm opening a bar that will also have video game consoles! Mostly Xbones and PS4 with a couple a retro consoles and arcade cabinets that I can hook up to whatever I want.

What games should I carry? I'm trying to stay mostly with multiplayer games that are easy for people to just jump into.
>>
>>329521293
make sure the blacks dont steal your shit

also fighting games -- specifically, mortal kombat. everyone loves mortal kombat
>>
We'll Also have a 64, Gamecube, and Dreamcast. What are your must haves?
>>
This idea is doomed to failure (assuming it isn't just a hypothetical to inspire discussion) but I legitimately wish you the best, OP.
>>
Get PS4 and XB1 demo stations. They look like arcade cabinets and the controllers are stuck to the station, so nobody can steal them.
>>
>>329522139
I think they have stuff like this in Japan. Arino visited a place like this, although much more low key than JO's plans.

Get ye fightans and party games like Smash. I wonder if drunks playing fightans will end up in real fights.
>>
>>329521293

Try to carry a shotgun, also.
>>
>>329521293
We have a bar like that here in Cincinnati called 16 bit
Has some arcade cabinets, retro consoles modded to run emulators, an n64 with an actual cartridge selection
>>
>>329521293
Be sure to pay your bouncers extra well.

Also new consoles except the Wii U are not local multiplayer focused. Just stick to retro consoles.
>>
snk/neo geo compilation cabinets

turtles in time

crazy taxi

battletoads

bucky o hare

bust a move
>>
>>329522839
There is a ton of casual gamers who want to play fifa, 2k or cod, which have local multiplayer
>>
>>329521293
Terrible idea. I own a bar myself and sone quick advice for you. You're gonna get slammed on weekends and people aren't gonna have space to play. Not to mention a bunch of drunk retarded strangers will be handling your 400 dollar consoles and cabinets.

I frequent a bar that tried this. Needles to say what's left of the arcade cabinets are never used anymore and the consoles lasted two weeks.

For now, concentrate in hiring nice, well mannered, hard working and most importantly well trained bartenders and wait staff. Otherwise you are doomed to fail.
>>
File: caged laff.gif (2 MB, 187x155) Image search: [Google]
caged laff.gif
2 MB, 187x155
>>329521293

wow what an original idea

it's sure to succeed
>>
>>329523279

lmao this you're better off fucking opening a library/bar
>>
>>329523279
I agree with this anon.

Drunks are fucking clumsy and careless; they're gonna throw up, spill beverages, slip and hit your expensive consoles.

At most get one of those arcades that you can mod and add a shit ton of games into it.
>>
>>329523549
>I have never ever worked a service job in my entire fucking entitled life.

Not even that anon but if you've never done this shit before you can't just open up some wild bunch shit.

>>329521293
There's alot to consider when opening any business, and especially managing it to some amount of success.

That being send, barcades can draw in a niche faggot crowd looking to buy overpriced IPA's and play with half broken cabinets.

Most people who want to play on consoles own one, and would probably rather just drink and play at home, unless you think that specific demographic of gamer also is interested in a retro arcade, but they probably aren't.

Personally I love going to barcades, but if you have a really tight space you have to consider that a decent percent of your clientele will probably want to play on working cabinets with enough space for people to circulate also. i.e. don't put tables directly behind the machines, but maybe smaller ones in between machines for people to put their drinks down. Also have a strict policy about not placing drinks on the top of cabinets.

Also have fucking working cabinets.
>>
>>329521293
That's a terrible idea, have you ever even been to a bar?
>>
>>329524054

>I have never ever worked a service job in my entire fucking entitled life.

I apologize for getting an education.
>>
>>329521293
OutRun 2
>>
>>329521293
Close at midnight, keep the drunk riffraff out. Market your place as an arcade that serves drinks, not as a bar with videogames.
>>
>>329524282
>Close at midnight

lmao
>>
>>329522819
I stopped at arcade legacy Bar edition while waiting to play a show down the street. It was way more comfy than 16bit.
>>
File: 1456427847609.jpg (72 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1456427847609.jpg
72 KB, 700x700
>>329524216
Did mommy and daddy buy your textbooks also and your car? also pay for the insurance.

Suck my fucking dick you fucking retarded shit fucker.
>>
File: IMG_5252.jpg (770 KB, 3264x1908) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5252.jpg
770 KB, 3264x1908
http://killerqueenarcade.com/

Best comp arcade game. Especially for drunk people.
>>
>>329524282
Midnight?

Do you live in some uncivilized land?

Soft 1:30am, "closed" at 2am, hard 3am.

Friends and sad regulars stay as long as they want.
>>
>>329524559

>posting Apicary
>fucking retarded shit fucker

Why are you so mad I didn't fuck up in high school, you clown?
>>
>>329524665
I'm mad because deflecting little entitled shits don't even know what hard work is.
>>
>>329524559

You seem angry. Understandable for someone who's parents apparently hated them.
>>
>>329524784

>hard work has to be shit work

lmao no

keep projecting your failures though
>>
>>329524882
I guess shouldn't be surprised that people on /v/ have never had to deal with real life before.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb1viD56zkM

Regardless of my thoughts, good luck.
>>
>>329521293
Do you want the hipster normie crowd like Barcade that's there to drink and also play games or for lack of a better word actual "gamers" like The Foundry or eSports Arena that are there to play and also drink?
>>
File: GET HIM.jpg (80 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
GET HIM.jpg
80 KB, 1024x768
>>329524980

>real life = shit living

you're killin' me son
>>
Gone Home
>>
>>329524613

They don't really have this explicitly for sale on their website.

>>329524282

We'll be closing closer to 1:00, 1:30 depending on the crowd.

>>329524151
Yep. I work at one.
>>
Get f-zero gx cabin
>>
>>329521293
>I'm opening a bar that will also have video game consoles!
This idea has been approached repeatedly and without success. The result is almost always a letdown in terms of the implementation of either the gaming or bar aspects of the establishment.
>What games should I carry?
Lots of co-op games and fighting games.
>>
Open a cyber cafe if you want to do that. Alcohol + expensive electronics = bad time for you
>>
Doesnt Yahtzee own or work or have friends who own a vidya bar in Australia?

I would totally go to a vidya bar as long as it isnt pretentious

though seems like the more successful one are more like arcades that serve alcohol
>>
>>329526018
>Doesnt Yahtzee own or work or have friends who own a vidya bar in Australia?

Yeah it didn't do very well. What a shock.
>>
>>329526232
It can be done in the right area with proper management. It can't be done everywhere if there isn't the demographics for it.
>>
>>329522139
These might be more common though then again Ive only seen two
>>
>>329526406

Opening a bar aimed at socially awkward ass burgers will never work.
>>
>Go to local "videogaming bar
>Step in the front door
>Gigantic Assassin's Creed statue
>"Please wait to be seated"

Fuck you EXP Bar. I turned around right away and walked out. I'm not fucking around with being seated. I just wanted to try a stupid overpriced cocktail with a gaming name and maybe play a round of Smash Bros or something.

I haven't been more disappointed by an establishment like that in my life. How fucking hard is to to open a bar where you can order a drink then queue up for some fighting games while you drink it?
>>
>>329526587
Those people don't even go to begin with. You gotta net a hipster crowd.
>>
>>329521293
Pander to the FGC.
>>
There was a place like that in Minneapolis called insert coins.

2 levels, game consoles at the bar, shitloads of great arcade games, a Wii and Kinect room like VIP areas.

Closed within 2 years.

Not a good option.
>>
>>329525896
I think if he asks for deposits on the controllers and has sufficiently secure cabinets for protecting the consoles, that part is less of an issue.
>>
File: copy that.jpg (15 KB, 300x158) Image search: [Google]
copy that.jpg
15 KB, 300x158
>>329521293

>Bro you wanna go to the bar and play games
>I guess but who's going to drive?
>Shit I drove last time
>You know, we have all these consoles and stuff here
>Yeah and the booze is cheaper
>Why the fuck are we going out to play games again?
>I don't know man. Just invite a few guys over and let's play Smash
>>
>>329526665
You're in vancouver right?

BC has some bullshit laws that prevent 'games' to be paid past a certain threshold in an establishment serving alcohol. It's somehow related to some old law involving gambling games and their relation to alcohol or something. Hope they fix it.
>>
File: 1387964291976.png (217 KB, 490x520) Image search: [Google]
1387964291976.png
217 KB, 490x520
I give it a week before your controllers get destroyed or your consoles get stolen.

It's a good idea though, every bar I've been to with a gaming schtick with it has always been super enjoyable to go to, but they usually don't last long.
>>
>>329521882
>Everyone loves MK
Yeah, barring people that play fighting games
>>
>>329521293
EDF, Raiden, Pac-Man DX, CoD/Halo/Star Wars for the meme machines.

Get Donkey Kong, Metal Slug X, Joust, Smash TV, Simpsons for arcade.
>>
>>329527403
>You're in vancouver right?
Yup
>BC has some bullshit laws
Oh I'm aware. I recall when EXP was just starting out and they were whining about them.

That doesn't change how tasteless the experience was. I do not walk into a "bar" and expect to deal with being seated by hosts. I couldn't even really see what the place looked like from the door. Not to mention how low of an opinion I have of Assassin's Creed games. They're garbage and always have been, The statue was another sign that this place was fucking stupid. Their manager must be a normalfag idiot if he shelled out for a fucking 10 foot Ezio Auditore.
>>
Why not just open a normal bar and casually let people know there's a gaming room and point them in that direction? Word will spread eventually that the room exists, but you won't get the social stigma of a "video game bar".
>>
>>329527332
Said no one ever
>>
File: headquarters-beercade-1.jpg (206 KB, 998x666) Image search: [Google]
headquarters-beercade-1.jpg
206 KB, 998x666
>>329521293
Chicago has a few Beercades but I don't think consoles will work at all. They're not built for the abuse of hundreds of drunk fucks every week.

If you want to focus on something, focus on arcades that hit the nostalgia feels and pinballs. To keep people coming back, make them free to pay but slightly raise the price of alcohol. One of my favorite bars (Headquarters Beercade) follows that and it seems to work for them.
>>
>>329521293
use flash carts to avoid swapping games
>>
>>329524613
This. KQ is absolutely fun
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.