[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Oculus Rift $600 >HTC Vive $900 >Holo Lens $3000 Will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: Famicom-3D-System.jpg (2 MB, 3990x1920) Image search: [Google]
Famicom-3D-System.jpg
2 MB, 3990x1920
>Oculus Rift $600
>HTC Vive $900
>Holo Lens $3000

Will these things really become the future or will they always be niche products? Will cheaper and shittier console and smartphone VR devices make it appeal to the mass market?
>>
Niche.

I do think Head Mounted Displays will replace monitors as we know them, but VR is just a fad.

HMD is what will come of this.
>>
Only one thing I wanna know.

Since the damn screen is so close to your face, you don't need to wear glasses right?
>>
>>329503645
They'll start off fairly niche, but will grow in popularity over time as they get cheaper. They won't become a replacement for gaming though.
>>
>>329503738
assuming you're nearsighted, yeah you wont need them
>>
File: image.png (274 KB, 633x423) Image search: [Google]
image.png
274 KB, 633x423
>Holo Lens $3000
AW HECK!
>>
>>329504009

hmmm... i might have to try it out once it becomes affordable
>>
>>329503738
Depends.
>>329503910
But they will only get cheaper if the audience steadily grows. And I am not sure it will.
>>329503705
I also think VR will stay nice but AR will become more and more popular and I could even see AR glasses replace smartphones in the future
>>329504207
For the dev kit the real thing will be more expensive.
>>
>>329503738
no glasses needed. There is a pair of lenses to make the screen seem farther away from your face
>>
>>329504259
>But they will only get cheaper if the audience steadily grows. And I am not sure it will.
No. The hardware will get cheaper over time as advancements in the field are being made. A new and improved VR/HMD will show up at some point in the future at an even cheaper price.
>>
>>329504798
Only if they keep developing and that will only happen if they make money off of their devices.

I just hope they went in being are aware of the niche market.
>>
Everyone thought Google Glass would be the future of everything. VR is a continuation of that
>>
>>329506060
No Holo Lens is
>>
File: 1338696111343.jpg (47 KB, 519x648) Image search: [Google]
1338696111343.jpg
47 KB, 519x648
>>329504992
The marked has lots of uses for VR and AR
>push vr into the market
>that shit only had red color and it not only had a few games, it also didnt implemented the inmersive element because hardware limitations, stereo 3d was there.
>push vr into the market
>we went for a red only 8 bit shit to a full color and Svga resolution, with tracking, but it delays alot, and the screens are tiny, but for flight simulator and simracing is pretty good (bought the vr920)
>push vr into the market
we went from 640x480 to 1280x1024 screens, and they say the delay is less, but that shit cost like 16k and its compatible with maybe 5 games
>push vr into the market
>we went from 1280x800 from dark brands at 30fps to over 1080p at 90fps, tracking with very low latency and a comunity capable of making it compatible for almost every game, because dll inject, it still expensive, they improved the field of view, but the pixel density in front of your eye its the same as that old 640x480 screen
>push vr into the market
I dont know, for now the tech base is pretty much done, it will get cheaper, and the screen res will improve.
>>
>>329506060
>Everyone thought Google Glass would be the future of everything

[citation needed]
>>
>>329506149
which means augmentet reality not virtual reality
>>
>Will cheaper and shittier console and smartphone VR devices make it appeal to the mass market?

Samsung's giving a Gear VR with every S7 preorder, so that's gonna be a million-ish in the market.
>>
>>329506060
Not really. No one is going to start wearing stupid glasses, only hipsters do that and no, no one will go through the trouble of wearing future contact lenses.

VR is not the future. Is a shitty in between while we wait for direct neural communication.
>>
>>329503645
bought an oculus and a hololens with my yearly bonus,lmao fucking underage poorfags
>>
Those $99 Samsung things will probably sell well
>>
Niche until they're cheap (<=$400) and can offer a AAA experience on APUs / integrated GPUs.
>>
>>329503705
HMDs have been on the market for years before VR and there isn't much to improve with them technology wise. They already have decent pixel density and use microOLEDs so they're more lightweight.

If we're talking about the future, a normal HMD is just a worse VR headset so it would make no sense to get one.
>>
>>329506435
>Not really. No one is going to start wearing stupid glasses, only hipsters do that and no, no one will go through the trouble of wearing future contact lenses.
They will. Kurzweil says so and will debate you easily
>>
>>329506458
They're just giving them away at this point, so it'll certainly be in the hands of a lot of people
>>
>>329506435
People also said nobody will carry around stupid oversized iPhones you can't use for calls and now tablets are everywhere
>>
>>329506060
None of these are trying to solve the same problems as Google Glass. Glass is a HUD that is always on your face, these are cludgy monsters that sit on your face and require IR cameras scanning your space at all times. Totally different use cases.
>>
>>329506584
>Kurzweil
lel he also said we will get nano bots implimented and live forever 10 years ago
>>
>>329506629
No one ever underestimated the vapidness of the modern whore to buy the most expensive and stupid shit.

This is different, this is something you wear on your face, every day. Only way to avoid that is future contact lenses, but they're a pain in the ass even for people that actually need them.
>>
>>329506720
His predictions are always 15 years late, but never wrong
>>
>>329506837
What are you talking about you could always take off the glasses.

It's just like a smartphone only on your face you operate with your eyes.
>>329506859
Yeah they are and the ones that are right were always extremely vague.
>>
>>329507062
>"In the 2030s," said Ray, "we are going to send nano-robots into the brain (via capillaries) that will provide full immersion virtual reality from within the nervous system and will connect our neocortex to the cloud. Just like how we can wirelessly expand the power of our smartphones 10,000-fold in the cloud today, we'll be able to expand our neocortex in the cloud."

Just wait.

http://singularityhub.com/2015/10/12/ray-kurzweils-wildest-prediction-nanobots-will-plug-our-brains-into-the-web-by-the-2030s/
>>
>>329507321
Now he says 2045 i.e. when he is long dead.

He is full of shit. Never trust a jew wearing that many rings.

>expand the power of our smartphones 10,000-fold by connecting it to the cloud
Does he work for microsoft?
>>
>>329503645
so how poorly did that device work?

also fuck Nintendo for keeping the Game Boy Light in Japan.
>>
>>329507678
Only gave you a headache no 3D

And yes those clip on lights were shit. How the fuck could they release the GBA in 2001 with mono sound and without a blacklight?
It's retardation
>>
>try a prototype
>wow it's fucking nothing
I feel like it's like hypnosis or being an audiophile or being able to see the difference between refresh rates on monitors. Some people just pop boners when they use it but I feel absolutely nothing.
>>
>>329507515
>In the 2030s, we will be able to send nanobots into living people’s brains and extract memories of people who have passed away.

the future is going to be wild mate. Nanobots are a real technology and they are advancing according to his predictions.
>>
>>329507834
Really? I was wondering how those things are from some of the reaction video.

To me it just looks like a small wide screen close to your face displaying games with bad graphics but the people on that rollercoaster went wild.
>>329508008
Yeah, yeah go to bed Ray.
>>
>>329506060
>product X was unsuccessful
>therefore every product that bears any resemblance whatsoever to product X, no matter how superficial, is guaranteed to fail
>>
>>329508812
But Google Glass fits more into AR not VR just like Kinect.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.