[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steam authenticator bullshit.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: steam-guard-android.jpg (198 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
steam-guard-android.jpg
198 KB, 1200x900
>There's a delicate balance between account security and the convenience of interacting with the market or trade. Any time we make changes, there's the risk of significant disruption. We recognize that today's changes will be inconvenient for users who have yet (or are unable) to use the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator. But if you're a high volume trader (who our data shows is likely using the authenticator already), or a trader who likes to exchange items with friends, these changes won't really affect you at all. We believe these steps are necessary to ensure that accounts are made more secure, that users are empowered to identify and solve problems, and that the economic systems enjoyed by millions of customers are not compromised by people with malicious intent.
No, you aren't improving anything in a good way.
You are just making everything much more inconvenient for people that aren't fucking mentally handicapped.
You want the cellphone numbers of your users and that's it, you disgusting cunts.
>>
>>329488721
After I had an account of mine stolen for the first time by a filthy muslim, I set up two-step authentication with every account that provides it, now I wish all of them did.
>>
>>329488721
I support the changes
the amount of scammers and phishing attempts on steam is surreal
anyway OP you can use the steam authenticator without a mobile phone
There is a windows freeware that supports this type of thing for lots of services
Sorry I cannot provide the name, just search two step auth PC application
>>
>>329489270
>After I had an account of mine stolen
Too bad they didn't ban you from Steam for being a fucking retard.
>>
>>329490746
Having to download some guy's programm does not sound appealing at all.
>>
>>329488721
Is the phone shit mandatory now? I don't have a device that can run it, does that mean that I'm fucked?
>>
>>329491076
Any items you trade will be on "hold" for 15 days
>>
>>329491358
Fucking Valve. I wish I weren't already boycotting them so I could do it.
>>
File: cake.jpg (25 KB, 508x468) Image search: [Google]
cake.jpg
25 KB, 508x468
steam requires an update
have to look at phone or email to relogin

reboot pc for whatever reason
have to look at phone or email to relogin

this is one of the stupidest ways to implement a secure account

JUST STOP BEING RETARDED
>>
>>329491686
That just sounds like your problem. Doesn't happen to me
>>
>>329490959
It werks on many twostep services
every rusky Jew is using it as we speak

https://winauth.com/
Stop complaining
>>
File: vlcsnap-2012-01-27-18h37m43s155.png (819 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2012-01-27-18h37m43s155.png
819 KB, 1280x720
>>329491798
have to buy a 500$+ phone just to keep your account safe

or you know
dont be a retard

i have no use for a magic rectangle when a basic cell phone does its job
>>
>>329491871

Gee I can't wait until this get hacked and every steamjew on earth gets a hold of not only my steam account but my phone number too!
>>
>>329491871
But does it work without giving away your phone number? Because that's what OP was complaining about in the first place.
>>
>>329492309
>he doesn't own a jailbroken 3gs
>2016
>>
>>329488721
what were the changes? i dont have anything in my inventory to bother protecting, because i dont play shit games
>>
>>329492408
If you give money to apple you're part of the problem. Any problem.
>>
>>329492309
motorola sells $100 smartphones...

u need to upgrade grandpa
>>
>>329492606
No he doesn't.
>>
>>329492559
You can get that shit from ebay for like $50.
>>
>>329492661
yes you do
>>
>>329492527

Basically, trading went from

> You can trade pretty much anything to anyone at any time

to

> You can still trade with anyone at any time but Valve will not reimburse you for stolen items unless you have a verified email and email trade confirmations on

to

> You have to have email confirmations on to trade period

to

> You have to have a phone number associated with your account or there is a 3-day hold on all trades

to

> You have to have a phone number to trade or there is a 15-day hold on EVERYTHING.
>>
>>329492779
>>329492735
No, nobody does.
I have a Smartphone and it just happens to not run with fucking apple or google OS.
I have absolutely no need to all this app shit.
>>
File: hehehee.jpg (14 KB, 313x473) Image search: [Google]
hehehee.jpg
14 KB, 313x473
>>329492606
>motorola

AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

AH thx for the laugh, your a funny guy.
>>
>>329492883
>I have a Smartphone and it just happens to not run with fucking apple or google OS.
And? What do you gain from this?
>mfw he fell for the jola meme
>>
>>329492559
Apple doesn't get your money from buying old/used phones you dumb piece of shit. And especially not after you jailbreak them.
>>
>implying it isn't a ruse to push people into using the 15% cut market instead of actually trading
>>
>>329492973
he can smug all over people who have actual functioning phones
>>
>>329492606
i use the steam desktop auth for $0 how about that retard
inb4 autism paranoia
>>
>>329492973
>jola meme
Can you please talk like a normal person so I actually understand your kidlingo?

>And? What do you gain from this?
What I gain is not having to spend money on something I barely use since it was the old phone of my brother.
>>
>>329493095
>inb4 autism paranoia
It's Geel9
Paranoia validated

It's open source, so it's not like anything bad's going to happen
>>
How about you retards stop blaming valve. They only did this shit to stop Brs and retards from conplaining
>>
>>329493289
>not having money to spend
go and get a job
>>
>>329493289
>kidlingo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolla_%28mobile_phone%29
>>329493289
>What I gain is not having to spend money on something I barely use since it was the old phone of my brother.
Most people do the same thing but with apple/android phones instead
>>
>>329488721
>>329490883
I have to say anon, you're making some fine points by calling everyone who disagrees with you a retard.
>>
>>329493072
>actual functioning phones
My cellphone can text, phone people, play mp3s, wake me up in the morning and surf the web via Opera mini.
That's all I ever needed from it, with the web surfing being absolutely nothing more than a "nice to have" thing.

>>329493446
Learn to read:
>>329493289
>not having to spend money on something I barely use
Even just paying 1€ would be an utter waste of money considering the phone I already have does the very few things I want from it. Plus, I don't want an apple or google OS. Not on my PC and not on my phone.

>>329493553
>disagrees
I'm calling out the shitters that get their shit stolen. At some point it's just your own damn fault when people "hack" your account.
>>
>>329493852
>more isn't better
grow up
>>
>>329494013
Sure, whatever you say.
>>
I think this is the point where if someone is fucking retarded enough to hand their account password to a stranger, they deserve to have their shit stolen.

The last time I tried to do any kind of trade, I wanted to gift my buddy a TF2 item for christmas. So I bought a giftwrap since it was a special occasion, wrapped the item up, and-

Oops! The giftwrap I bought is untradeable for seven days, so I'm not allowed to actually give the wrapped gift to my buddy for seven days. Merry christmas!

Valve's security precautions are ridiculous.
>>
File: DIE.jpg (35 KB, 810x466) Image search: [Google]
DIE.jpg
35 KB, 810x466
if your stupid enough to be scammed how does getting your phone stolen or it breaks any different?

its more trouble and unneeded steps to get access back to your account

get authenticator app
phone breaks or is stolen, cant access steam account anymore(once it logs out for any reason)
have to contact steam and sort shit out, while steam will say fuck you we already got money from you, you should have been more careful with your phone.
>>
>>329489270
I had my account stolen once, but at the time I wasn't really playing any of the games on it so I just left it alone. About a year later I finally wanted to buy something on Steam, e-mailed Valve and had it sorted within a day or two. Even had a whole bunch of new friends that the guy had made on my account in my absence.
>>
>>329495026
>I had my account stolen once
HOW
>>
>>329495583
I let a friend use it, and their computer was infected with malware.
>>
>>329495919
>logging into an important account on someone else's computer
>>
>>329497721
It wasn't really an important account to me at the time. I mean this was back in the early days when Steam was pretty much just Valve games and a small scattering of other random shit. It wasn't nearly as big as it is now.
>>
>>329497824
Also I knew the entire time I could get it back as soon as I actually cared, so I was never really worried.

I think the only games I really had on it were like Bioshock, The Longest Journey, Ghost Master, few other random shit I didn't care about
>>
>people unironically use Steam

Seriously why?
>>
>>329498346
Because it's damned convenient.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.