[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we save MMO gaming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: wowbox.jpg (191 KB, 300x430) Image search: [Google]
wowbox.jpg
191 KB, 300x430
How do we save MMO gaming?
>>
>>329443195

You can't. It's already dead and it died a long, long time ago.

Unless you're a Necromancer. Good luck.
>>
Play offline MMORPGs like Dragon's Dogma, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon Age Inkiwisitor.
>>
>>329443726

Too bad the only noteable MMO with Necromancers is Guild Wars / 2.

Too bad that's dead as well.
>>
Bring back City of Heroes
>>
>>329443195
Let it die.
Wait 20 years.
Try again after the memories of the death of MMOs is gone from modern audiences.
>>
File: The Final Hours.jpg (653 KB, 1679x986) Image search: [Google]
The Final Hours.jpg
653 KB, 1679x986
>>329444067
This. Goddammit, this.
>>
>>329443195
Don't try to pander to long-term MMO gamers. They demand every game turn into WOW during alpha/beta testing, then when it comes out whinge that it's not as good as WOW in it's prime, while the changes they demanded have driven away everyone else due to all the stupid cliched MMO bullshit. Just don't try to make those people happy, they never will be except in their memories.
>>
>>329443195
Easy. You take away methods of "convenience" like Group Finders and make the players actually interact with each other. That is the primary reason you play MMO's and it's the primary reason they currently suck. Once you have the sense of community back, the gameplay and meaningful (haha) experiences return.
>>
File: 1433288391455.jpg (102 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
1433288391455.jpg
102 KB, 500x379
>>329443848
>offline MMORPGs
>offline massively multiplayer online

anon are you by any chance retarded?
>>
>>329444449
Tbh, I wanted to see Warhammer Online alive again. I had the fun of my life in that game.
>>
Guild wars 2 is awesome play that.
>>
>>329444673
LOL
>>
>>329444673

Either fucking retard or mid-tier b8.
>>
>>329443195
By prepurchasing World of Warcraft: Legion, Deluxe Edition, and World of Warcraft: Legion, Collector's Edition.
>>
>>329444673
>Still hotkeys
No. There's a reason single player games don't use it as a control system.
>>
>>329444630
This is the best we'll get. It's even more alive now then what it was back when only T1 was available. Check it out.

http://www.returnofreckoning.com/about.php
>>
>>329444673
I want Anet drones to leave.

>50 bucks for expansion
>expansion contains 4 maps and 3 new armor skins
>weekly updates in the cash shop instead of producing actual content
No thank you.
>>
I just think they need to come out with an MMO that feels traditional but still feels like a game and experience instead of just throwing numbers, mathematics, features and gimmicks everywhere. WoW has become too streamlined and predictable, it holds your hand in every possible aspect and is too worried about letting the players think for themselves or switching things up.

The first time I played WoW it felt like an adventure and there was a big unknown world to be discovered, but I can't imagine someone having that same feeling in 2016 if they just picked up the game for the first time in their lives. As soon as you start up you're already told what to do and have a hundred different help messages thrown on your screen and a fully discovered map you can fly around in.

I don't think Vanilla WoW would work by today's standards, but I think they need to focus on what made it so great back then and apply it to a game that's designed well and feels interesting and most importantly immersive.

I would honestly pay anything to re-experience what I felt in 2006 .
>>
Increased difficulty and remove "muh quality of life" ultra-convenience. Sadly this will never be profitable.
>>
>>329443195
We need to go back to the roots of what MMOs were designed to be. We need to get rid of everything that makes games simple and stop pandering to people that just want more and more of the same crap. People complain they'll never be as big as wow so they make cash shops and more cash shops with a free to play model instead of actually trying to make a half decent game in their own style. When they stop that, the MMO industry might not be as bad off as it is.

We need something refreshing, something that is different in even artwork. Even if that artwork looks like it's a decade old. What we need from the MMO market is for it to have its soul back. MMOs stopped being about having fun with randoms and became more about grinding and being the best you can be. That is the problem with the MMO industry from my perspective.
>>
>>329444609
This correlates with my post. I like this post.
>>
>kikestarter is bringing in lots of smaller scale MMOs that pander to more focused crowds rather than just being 'WoW: the reskin'
Fix what? It fixed itself.
>>
>>329443848
Dragon Age Inquisition and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning™ were examples of offline MMORPGs that had updated content (in the form of endless DLC). Dragon's Dogma was a massive example of how limited offline MMORPGs are.
>>
>>329446145
I head about these guys and the good job they have been doing.
I played a bit when they just started, I guess is time to check it again.
>>
>>329448954
Sorry, but how can you have an offline mmo? An mmo by definition implies it's "massive multiplayer", and if it's offline, it's not mulitplayer correct? Or am I simply missing something obvious?
>>
can't be saved. wow did everything you can possibly do with an mmo, and you people are just bored with it.
>>
>>329443195
Stop making mmos with face roll difficulty
Stop making mmos with no early game dungeons
Make the dungeons interesting and fun
Stop making mmos with shitty raids
Stop making mmos with dungeon finders
Stop making mmos with linear paths masquerading as areas
Stop making mmos that only reward sticking to the main quest hubs/quests (aka reward exploration)
Stop letting ncsoft make mmos
Stop letting blizzard release shirt expansions to a game whose appeal died with the release of TFT
Etc.
>>
File: Allthegoodonesdiebeforewow.jpg (81 KB, 1328x747) Image search: [Google]
Allthegoodonesdiebeforewow.jpg
81 KB, 1328x747
>>329444232
THIS.
My favorite MMO, this game had an amazing community.
>>
Kill all south koreans

they have shit taste and when games comes out in europe, its already dead or patched to shit
>>
>>329448742
Name one.
>>
i hope some day there is something like ff11 in his best moment 2003-2009 aprox, where you are all alone and exploring every area with no quest or shit and all was really dangerous and fun
>>
>>329450196
>city of villains
Dropped (actually dropped it when they nerfed in combat travel powers)
>>
>>329443195
Kill it completely and let it rest.
We need some kind of crop rotation for vidya
>>
Make a decent Ultima Online reboot.
>>
>>329444609
Going from 1 to 5-40 still doesn't give you a community. The only time WoW established a true community was back in Vanilla, because the majority of the players spent the majority of their time in the WORLD of WARCRAFT, not the skinnerbox of purples.

The idea of end game as it is, is frankly cancer. You can't lose your gear, you can't lose your level, you can't even lose gold, you can't lose any progress you make in the world. So how can you look any place but up?

Just copy Yggdrasil and you're pretty much set.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.