[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Slav games so much better than Western ones? >wRPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: Kamajii is amused.jpg (27 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
Kamajii is amused.jpg
27 KB, 240x180
Why are Slav games so much better than Western ones?

>wRPG renaissance
>two best games are made by Slavs

Where did Western talent go?
>>
>>329337472
But Divinity Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity arent slav games.
>>
maybe the only difference is their publishers aren't trying to rush as many unfinished games out the door as they can.
>>
>>329337472
Western just can't make good games anymore.
They all been shit after 2007
>>
>>329337541
Yes, that's why they're generic RPGs who no one remembers. Did you buy the rerelease too?
>>
>>329337640
Enhanced Edition for Original Sin?
I got that for free, no need to buy it.
But I did play it, yeah. Good changes to an already good game.
>>
NO game, even Half Life, beats this masterpiece.
>>
>>329337682
But it's bland as hell.

>>329337806
Half Life is overrated as hell and has in fact introduced all the shitty mechanics pervading modern FPS, from extremely scripted gameplay, companions that you cannot 'turn off', simplistic puzzles a la Ken Levine, driving, turret section.. the list goes on.
>>
>>329337603
There have been good games, most of them were more flawed in concept than Slavic games are with bugs. Mirror's Edge will always be one of my favourites due to its concept.
>>
>>329337985
>But it's bland as hell.

Bland? How so?

If anything, its full of flavor. Loads of jokes, loads of fancy over the top silly things, high fantasy stuff like automated brooms cleaning the rooms or talking to animals.
Loads of gimmicks in the game, like standing in blood to heal, or setting yourself on fire for extra fire spell damage with talents and such.
Loads of extra mechanics bring even more flavor, stuff like cooking or grenades, which arent important part, but are something you can do and diverse your experience.
Loads of side quests, optional stuff, secrets, non-essential dialogues and such. The whole inter party dialogue system and the small bonuses you get for roleplaying certain characters, like always being optimistic or pragmatic.

There is a log in the game. I would accept you calling it anything else, since thats you having bad taste, but its objectively not bland.
>>
>>329338269
Everything you mention is fine in theory, but in practice Divinity just shuffles stereotypes. It doesn't have its own identity apart from being a shallow commentary on DnD games. It deals more with archetypes than it cares - or is able to - to create its own route. Compare two characters Avellone wrote for PoE (worse game) - that Monk guy and Grieving Mother, that's identity.
>>
>>329338492
Oh, I get it. You are just unable to enjoy silly and colorful things, and need them to be dark and serious.

I am sorry.
>>
>>329337603
Almost all slav games were shovelware before 2007
>>
>>329338578
Whatever strawman soothes you.
>>
>>329338789
Its not strawman, its an observation.
You picked the two darkest and most serious characters from the darker and more serious game, and complained that the bright&silly game isnt more like that.
>>
Slav hillarious intollerant mentality, strong survivalits character and weak economy make them unique as fuck (if not drunk as fuck)
Still somewhat free of muh progressive by the books formula of genericness and equality.
Still not much money to make or use, so have to improvise and make do on creativity, talent and passion.
But it will be lost soon... It allready begun.
>>
>>329338705
Painkiller was good. I know you said almost but Painkiller was good. Its multiplayer was amazing.
>>
>>329338919
It's about identity versus stereotype, you chose to focus on tone.
>>
There hasn't been a good western european game development scene since the mid 80s.
>>
>>329337472
Unfortunately it won't last. Polish talents will migrate west because of higher earnings and then they will obey the likes of Bobby Kotick. They work their asses off in Eastern Europe just so they are noticed by the big ones and get away from this shithole.
>>
>>329339092
Grieving Mother and Durance are also stereotypes, though.
They are just dark&serious stereotypes, the type you like.

If you cant recognize them, I suggest you read some B-tier fantasy novels. I genuinely think you will enjoy it and find some stuff you like there.
Try Dark Company series, or Joe Abercrombie's First Law series and its spinoffs.
>>
>>329338269
Not him but what he said in
>Everything you mention is fine in theory, but in practice Divinity just shuffles stereotypes. It doesn't have its own identity apart from being a shallow commentary on DnD games. It deals more with archetypes than it cares - or is able to - to create its own route.

Is spot on.

D:OS is fine, I didn't notice any glaring defect or anything but it's just there. They had a lot of good ideas but in the end they ended up amounting to a completely unremarkable game. It's like that reaction image from persona 4 that we see here every so often saying something along the lines of "you added so many flavors and spices and yet the resulting food ended up tasting like nothing". Also the writing was absolutely nothing to write home about and that part is crucial for an RPG, specially one of this kind. Gimmicks will only do so much. They're just gimmicks after all.
>>
>>329339287
It's Black Company and it's far better than Abercrombie drivel. Everything is a stereotype if you choose to frame it as such, but the simple truth is that no one will remember any character from Divinity while Durance always gets quoted on here spontaneously. Same as Nameless One, Kreia etc.

Divinity characters have as much going for them as that "hilarious" mop you mentioned.
>>
>>329339567
>Black Company
Sure, my bad.
> it's far better than Abercrombie drivel.
Eeeh... mostly. The worst books of Black Company arent as good as the best Ambercombie ones. You should read both.

>Durance always gets quoted on here spontaneously
I've never seen anyone quote him outside of the threads before the game released, when the beta leaked. It would make me happy if he was, but thats a plain lie. And I liked Jahan more, the way he speaks and his story.
Overall it is clear as day to me that you just dislike happy things. Stop trying to fit in with le cynical /v/ and enjoy yourself.
>>
>>329337472
Because western devs are fucking shit. No wonder the 7th gen, which was by far the absolute worst gen since the pre-NES days, was so fucking underwhelming since it was when the west has gotten a tight hold of the industry and japan couldn't pull its shit together.

CDPR can't design good gameplay and controls to fucking save their lives though, but their writing is something else. What is the other wrpg you're referencing?
>>
>>329339793
You seem to have a real problem with maintaining a discussion without resorting to strawman fallacy.

>>329339821
I meant Age of Decadence and Underrail, Witcher series is just a copy of Western AAA titles and that's why it's so popular.
>>
>>329339987
Underrail is on my backlog list, it sounds fun. Tell me about it anon. Whisper big jewish words with a shilling tone to my ear and make my wallet wet with desire.
>>
>>329339987
All of the characters you mentioned as well written are dark and serious.
You quoted the magical automated mop as "hilarious", with the quotation marks.
From your posts so far its easy to deduce that you judge dark things as well written, and silly things as poorly written.

I have nothing else to say, you are a confused man who thinks his subjective opinion is fact, and his taste is how everything should be measured.
Protip: you dont need tortured souls and grime to have a good setting and even less so a good game. Not every good RPG has to be a grimdark interactive book with bad gameplay.
>>
>>329337806

STALKER has its charm, it is certainly enjoyable, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, especially when it's the definitive case of "mods fixed it"
>>
Why are all slav coutries shitholes /v/?
>>
>>329340076
Only play it if you really really like post-apocalyptic drabness. It has amazing exploration-into-experience system, well developed psyker class, not much in terms of identity apart from rock solid mechanics. It's also the first worthwhile game coming out of Serbia, made by one guy so that's a curio.
>>
>>329339987
>Witcher series is just a copy of Western AAA titles and that's why it's so popular.

I actually don't think so because on a fundamental Witcher is very different from western RPGs, it's just the most popular out of its east Euro, or whatever you consider Poland to fall under, kind kind of games.
>>
>>329340247
Where do you live?
>>
>>329337472
no convoluted industry
>>
>>329340380
How is Witcher different? It flaunts the exact same mechanics as western AAA titles.
>>
File: 477.jpg (147 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
477.jpg
147 KB, 1024x640
>>329340076
Not the same guy, but it's not Fallout. This is what I see a lot of people getting confused about and then saying they were misled by lies. While it HAS a really good setting and alright writing, it's not a story-focused game so don't expect companions or in-depth quests. It's more about combat and exploration. It also feels distinctly not-western and if anything it's more akin to Metro than Fallout in that respect.

>>329340342
> It's also the first worthwhile game coming out of Serbia, made by one guy so that's a curio.

He did hire some freelance help, but I am interested in seeing what Styg will do next. He seems to have the right idea and comes off as a cool guy from interviews I've seen.
>>
>>329340620
>It flaunts the exact same mechanics as western AAA titles.
and what exactly are those, pray tell? I wasn't aware western rpgs had a monopoly on anything.
>>
>>329337472
New untapped development force and general feeling of "we have to make it big or go broke, without the backing of a big publisher".
>>
File: goodidea.jpg (58 KB, 640x244) Image search: [Google]
goodidea.jpg
58 KB, 640x244
Good idea: Game designed by slavs

Bad idea: Game programmed by slavs
>>
File: 1456097444133.gif (992 KB, 499x374) Image search: [Google]
1456097444133.gif
992 KB, 499x374
>>329337472
Why does he look like a retired dr.robotnik?
>>
>>329341938
You mean Dr Talos

>>329341908
>Slav programming is bad meme
>>
>>329341908
As opposed to what? All games are badly made as a rule.
Video games are very large scale projects, and they are pushed out very fast. They always such on a technical level for a year after release.
>>
File: Gerald_and_Maria_Robotnik.png (2 MB, 777x1029) Image search: [Google]
Gerald_and_Maria_Robotnik.png
2 MB, 777x1029
>>329341938
Exactly what I thought.

Looks like Gerald too.
>>
>>329337472
You haven't played many slav games.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.