[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys I have a problem. I got hired by a game studio to work on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: heroes.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
heroes.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Guys I have a problem. I got hired by a game studio to work on a new moba being made. My problem is, all my ideas keep getting rejected. They said they wanted their game to be a more dark themed one, and not real light hearted and silly like Dota 2, League, and Heroes of the Storm. Well despite that all my character ideas get rejected. Maybe you can tell me what you think of them and I can see if there really is something so unfitting about them, or if this team is full of shit and trying to blackball me. here are a few character concepts:

Jon Bannister the Violent Brawler - a vicious and violent drunk, he lives for the thrill of fighting. Spending his days in local pubs, he drinks and fights until he cannot stand anymore. He joins the tournament to find more strong opponents to fight and more ale to drink. His skills so far are a haymaker punch that knocks people back, a drinking move with a puking followup that slows enemies, and his ult is called "Over the BANNISTER!" where he creates a large bannister on the battlefield, and runs into enemies with a clothesline, knocking them over the bannister and doing tons of damage and a stun

Sodom the Master of Pain - a bdsm dungeon master, he lives to cause others and himself pain, he enters the tournament to experience the "ultimate" release...
He only had two skills so far from my concept of him, one he grabs you with a whip and chokes you with it as his allies can attack the enemy, and his ult where he turns an area of the battlefield into a bdsm dungeon, causing any enemies that roam into it to be forced into disgusting situations and making them vulnerable to his team

how is that so far?
>>
>>329327905
Wat
>>
Sounds awful
I hope you know your company will go bankrupt shortly after this game is released, there's no fucking way anything at this point can compete with LoL/Dota.
>>
>>329328037
well? do you like them? here's another one

Dredrik "The Judge" Judge - a judge serving the courts, he got tired of all the filth and corruption and decided to become judge, jury, and executioner, murdering all who disobeyed the law He enters the tournament to kill any and all lawbreakers and make examples of them.

skills: passive - I got my eye on you the judge gains vision of an enemy he attacks for up to 5 seconds after the attack, even hiding in bushes won't prevent this effect

The Gavel - the judge swings his gavel on the floor, creating a tremor that knocks up any nearby opponents and does attack damage

Jugdely Robes - passive - his robes grant him pride in himself on the battlefield, giving him increased movement speed, he can activate it to increase movespeed of allies for 5 seconds

The Gallows - he runs towards an opponent, if he connects he places a noose around them and hangs them, stunning them for 2 seconds, does no damage

Ult Final Judgement he whips out his two guns Crime and Punishment, and starts shooting the enemy nonstop for 6 waves of shots, each wave increasing the damage dealt, if all waves hit, the enemy is also slowed by 60% for 2 seconds
>>
>>329328241
>thinking no more mobas should ever be made because two other companies did them first

Yeah you're right, no one else should have tried making cars since henry t ford did it first, who could compete with him
>>
>>329328373
I'm not saying that there SHOULD only be two, just that there's no way this won't flop and be forgotten in a month.
>>
This pasta is getting a bit stale my friend, can I order a new dish?
>>
>>329327905
>Sodom the Master of Pain - a bdsm dungeon master, he lives to cause others and himself pain, he enters the tournament to experience the "ultimate" release...
Hey man I think you got the wrong door, the leather club's two blocks down.
>>
>>329328450
explain heroes of the storm then, that game didn't flop
>>
>>329328321
I'm fucking dying
>>
>>329328574
It did, it never had a playerbase to begin with
Blizzard even had the benefit of a large userbase that buys all their games
>>
>>329328559
they said the game is supposed to be more dark and gritty, so a character like that fits imo
>>
>>329327905
Give up. These all sound medicore
>>
>>329328625
bdsm is dark and gritty?
>>
>>329328373
Just like all the WoW killers worked out great.
>>
>>329328625
Yeah, fits right in with the deep dark fantasy genre.
>>
File: 2j0jqjp.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2j0jqjp.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
>adapt a design from zladizlaw or whatever that kurwa Lovecraftian artist's name is
>come up with back story
>???
>profit!
>>
>>329327905
>new MOBA
>unironically working on ASSFAGGOTS
I better start looking for a new job, games dead on arrival don't make your employer last long.
>>
ok another one, this is one of my favorites

Grey - an alien grey from another planet, it has come to enter the tournament to send combat data back to its homeworld

skills passive Terror being in his presence errodes the sanity of all enemies in a radius around him causing a fear effect that lasts 1 second if the terror meter fills

Death Ray he fires off a death beam from his gun, that travels in a life and explodes on impact with an enemy, causing initial damage and burn damage over time

levitation passive if he hasn't attacked for 4 seconds he goes airbone levitating and moving at increased speed, can activate to leap to an enemy when in range

gleaming data this skill allows him to learn the weak points of an enemy, giving increased damage to his attacks so long as he attacks the weak sides of the enemy

Ultimate Abduction - he summons down a ufo from the skies to attack, a tractor beam will land, grabbing the first enemy hero it comes in contact with and yanking them into the ship, as their screams of terror and pain are heard, they'll be thrown back onto the battlefield after 5 seconds, in a catatonic state that lasts 3 seconds and leaves them unable to attack
>>
>>329327905
I don't know the general theme of your project, but those concepts sound bad. The bdsm and puking drunkard make it sound childish instead of gritty.
>>
>>329329159
>ayy lmao
>edgy

Just look into random asian and indian folk monsters. That shit is generally creepy as fuck.
>>
>>329329163
How do they sound childish though? They're serious characters. Ok how about thee other concepts:

-a prostitute with half her faced burned off by a john(she wears a mask that covers half her face) that fights with vials of poison and acid

-a detective high on opium that does trick shots with his gun and can enter a special mode where the player sees the map through his eyes ie. a blurry opium infused mess that gives his skills more damage if you can land them

-a young man that's an army experiment to create a super soldier with psionic powers, he enhances his abilities with a drug system where he has to shoot up needles of different kinds of drugs for different effects, with each drug having a negative effect if he ods on them
>>
File: Grey.jpg (70 KB, 688x1024) Image search: [Google]
Grey.jpg
70 KB, 688x1024
>>329329250
how are greys not dark and gritty? they have creepy black eyes like a shark, they abduct people and do weird experiments, and they can walk through walls and shit
>>
You're creating character concepts and just tacking on skills that you think fit with their theme. What you should do is think of interesting skill kits with a clearly defined role and then creating a character around that. People don't play MOBA's because they think a character's background story is cool, it's because of how they play.
>>
>>329329464
They're a literal meme

>E gui (traditional Chinese: 餓鬼; simplified Chinese: 饿鬼; pinyin: è guǐ; literally: "hungry ghost") refers to ghosts which appear during the Ghost Festival. They are the spirits of people who committed sins out of greed when they were alive, and have been condemned to suffer in hunger after death. The e gui is usually depicted as having green or grey skin, a mouth too small for ingesting food, and sometimes with a potbelly. The ghost suffers from insatiable hunger and roams the streets and kitchens in search of offerings and decomposed food. These hungry ghosts consume anything, including excreted waste and rotten flesh. There are various types: some have fire-breathing abilities while others suffer from anorexia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_supernatural_beings_in_Chinese_folklore
>>
>>329327905

You're going to have to post some ideas from your coworkers that were well received so we know what kind of shit they're looking for.
>>
>>329329159

What a fucking shitty hero.

>passive wants you to be close
>first skill is ranged
>second skill gives him a leap
>third skill wants is ranged
>fourth skill has a 3 second stun

What exactly did you want this hero to do? Is it supposed to be ranged? Because if so, his passive, 2nd skill and 3rd skill is useless. Melee? If so, his first skill is useless.

And why that ult? Do you really want to add that much to a base champion at release? How do you expect to scale champion abilities if you give one an 8 second CC (5 second invuln, 3 second stun) at release?

No wonder your ideas keep getting denied, they're fucking shit.
>>
>>329329643
well I had an idea for a kit that punishes opponents for being overly aggressive, I planned on the character for it being a rapist but I don't think the team will go for that sadly
>>
>>329330438
Well what was the kit exactly?
>>
>>329327905
game aesthetics aren't really a problem. game balance is.

once a hero got a slight buff many players will autolock pick-abuse it for MMR increase. dota is sadly the worst balanced game there is since maybe Vladmir's got introduced which is way back 6.5x. LoL is just slightly better.

but let's be honest here. who wouldn't want to pick OP heroes to have a stress outlet from their wageslavery?
>>
>>329330771
Picking OP heroes isn't so much about venting as it is keeping up with the meta though.
>>
File: icon.jpg (5 KB, 64x64) Image search: [Google]
icon.jpg
5 KB, 64x64
>>329330856
>game is all about whatever meta *cough* trendfaggots *cough* says

Never regretting not switching to dota 2 since my best hero is nerfed to the ground.
>>
File: best girl.png (751 KB, 1600x1134) Image search: [Google]
best girl.png
751 KB, 1600x1134
>>329330856
>meta

you mean picking broken heroes and buying broken items?
>>
>>329331182
Yes, exactly that.
>>
>>329330856
>>329330771
>>329330995
This is why I still haven't bothered going into ranked and just keep playing whatever champs seem interesting and entertaining to play in unranked games.

And I'm saying this as a guy who has 70 hour work weeks worth of nightshifts at a 7eleven every second week.
>>
>>329331240
>not detecting sarcasm

lol, they're called "broken" for a reason. that's nothing more than a shitty excuse of a meta.
>>
>>329331269
the cons of that are just as obvious

>you aren't playing against semi-good players
>thinking you're a great player
>bashed to the ground when entering ranked games.
>>
File: banter.jpg (40 KB, 353x325) Image search: [Google]
banter.jpg
40 KB, 353x325
>>329327905
>>329328321

This is hilariously bad. Holy fuck I'm laughing way harder than I should be.

Now this is shitposting.
>>
Here's my suggestion.

Tenebrus, the Darkblade.
>>
>>329327905
Your abilities hard to visualize, particularly the drunk and pain master's ultimate. Creating random objects in the battlefield to perform an ability will either take too long to be effective or be too quick to appreciate.

You also have a few missed opportunities, like Anon said, that stem from trying to add abilities to a character instead of the other way around.

So define their role and build around it. If it were up to me, I would make the drunkard a brawler. His passive would be damage reduction + increased attack based on his alcohol intake. Keep the haymaker but he doesn't want to knock people back, he wants to knock them out cold so he can inflict more damage so make it a stun. Remove the puking, it sounds visually unappealing, and just make it drinking ability that generates booze over time. He can either drink them as they come to maintain his steroids or save them up for an intense fight. You can scale him to be weak when sober. Make his ultimate a molotov cocktail or something that burns and does a lot of damage.

The pain master should be a tank. He needs a masochist ability that damages himself but sends him into a fury of rage that grants him movement speed and lifesteal or something. Make him scale of of HP somehow or gain HP by hurting enemies.

Anyways, hope you have better luck, but you need to change the way you design characters.
>>
>>329331493
I know what you tried to say, but it's true.
>>
>>329332504
also keep hero lore in tact. you'd be surprised just how... out of lore dota Lycantrophe is.

>eating towers instead of chomping throats
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 500x916) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 500x916
Creative here.

Your ideas are trash, sorry. I didn't bother reading past the first post.

If the vision of the creators have specific characters in mind, then any and all suggestions, unless insanely good and in line with the original vision, will be rejected.

You sound like an "ideas guy."

Let me elaborate: by trash I mean your ideas are lacking in creativity. They're boring. This is evident by your long list; you're hoping one or two "just stick." These are not fleshed out ideas. There is no concept art. There is no art direction. Just words directing a vague feel of bad charaters.

I don't know your role at your new job, but you should not be allowed to make creative decisions.

Sorry. You're essentially a short man trying to play ball with the benchwarmers and getting laughed at.

Here is a character idea off the top of my head, literally, impromptu as I type:

Jones - a black crack addict with abhatred toward authority. He's hone sing for his next drug fix. He's the embodiment of every black racial stereotype. Got out of prison and went straight back. His catch phrase is "I dindu nuffin" and "God dayum." His ability is crackpot, where he creates a fissure in the ground and slaps you over the head with a pot, thanks to self buffs from drugs. He has a unique ability to play the race card, freezing non minirity opponents in their tracks. His wife bailed him out from jail after winning the lottery. He keeps going back to jail because he knows she'll bail him out.

There. Pitch that, I'm not even rereading for coherency.

GL.
>>
>>329333829
Apparently jonesing gets autocorrected. W/e
>>
File: 1453611820865.jpg (76 KB, 500x552) Image search: [Google]
1453611820865.jpg
76 KB, 500x552
>>329327905
This is a joke, right? You're joking. You have to be joking.
>>
File: 1452901950539.png (218 KB, 360x614) Image search: [Google]
1452901950539.png
218 KB, 360x614
>>329327905
>>329328321
you CANNOT be serious with these
please be trolling
>>
>>329333286
>it's true that you should be picking OP heroes
>game balance is a retarded concept

right...
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.