[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
30 FPS + Vsync or 60 FPS + no Vsync?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5
File: vsync04.jpg (44 KB, 600x336) Image search: [Google]
vsync04.jpg
44 KB, 600x336
30 FPS + Vsync or 60 FPS + no Vsync?
>>
Is that FEAR?
>>
https://youtu.be/KjGaivLaXIY
>>
>>329325849

120 FPS + Vsync
>>
>>329325849
60fps with vsync
Well really vsync is a matter of whether your monitor is of good quality or not, some monitors are just tear out the ass without vsync.
>>
60 no vsync.
>>
>>329325849
Adaptive vsync
>>
>>329325951
>>329325954

enjoy your input lag
>>
>>329325912
looks like Pray
>>
>>329326112
input lag that would only really matter in a multiplayer game
>>
Borderless fullscreen + unlocked fps

You should get no tearing and max fps
>>
I don't know, I usually turn Vsync on just for good measure.

Are there any downsides to using it?
>>
>>329326293
input lag
>>
>>329326206
Go play Dead Space 1 with a mouse without any fixes and vsync enabled and tell that again
>>
>>329326293
If your toaster's not good enough it can limit the frame rate. Also, it adds some input lag
>>
>>329326293
input lag if your fps isn't locked at 30: >>329325923
>>
>input lag
>ever
No vsync thank you
>>
>>329325849
60 FPS + Vsync

PCMASTERRACE
>>
>>329325849
60fps + no vsync
Tearing is preferable to chop
>>
>>329326437
>>329326469

30 fps + vsync = no input lag
60 fps + vsync = input lag
>>
144fps with gsync / freesync
>>
I have never seen tearing as severe as OP's pic, vsync or no.
>>
How do you people with no vsync deal with the screen tearing? It looks terrible and it hurts to look at. Makes me feel nauseous or like I'm gonna have a seizure
>>
>>329326492
i'll take 60 fps + vsync = no input lag, thank you
>>
>>329326492

No, that's not how it works.

Although Valve's done some we shit to their source engine, regardless of framerate you get input lag with all versions of vsync unless you cap the framerate to match your refresh rate via fps_max **
>>
>>329326492
>30 fps + vsync = no input lag

But that's not true, lower framerates have input lag compared to higher framerates. Games register input on a frame by frame basis, ergo half the framerate means half the registered input.
>>
60 FPS with Adaptive Vsync.
>>
>>329326665
Example

60hz display

version of vsync doesn't matter

type fps_max 60 in console and the input lag is gone.
>>
i dont care for v-sync either way
>>
Input lag is the honest to god fuckin' devil.

My games of league have more tearing than the backroom of a catholic sunday school but since Shadowplay doesn't give a fuck what quality my monitor is, the webm's always come out super smooth. So i've been told at least, I honestly don't see the difference.
>>
I doubt most people will notice 10ms of differences in input lag.
>>
I'd love to disable v-sync but whenever I see screen tearing my soul tears apart aswell
>>
>>329325912
Definitely not FEAR
t. Point Man
>>
>>329326795
This. Input lag is my biggest pet peeve in vidya and one of the few things I am not willing to compromise on in any circumstance. I remember playing TF2 against my friends before I knew v-sync added input lag and I always got my ass kicked because my movement and aiming was so noticeably delayed, after one of them realized I was running it I turned it off on their advice and instantly noticed a world of difference.

I might turn v-sync on in single player games that I prefer playing with a controller if they suffer from really, really fucking bad tearing, but anything multiplayer and/or preferable with KB&M (like shooters) I will never use v-sync.
>>
>>329326815
It's different for each game I play. Dude Sex HR and Wolfenstein TNO have terrible lag with vsync but Witcher 3 and GTA V work fine.
>>
>>329326901
>Playing through Condemned.
>Hey I recognize this outlet.
>And this spray bottle.
>And this bag of chips.
>And this pallet.
>And just about every doodad in this room.

monolith u shameless
>>
>not gsync
>>
File: 1.jpg (49 KB, 582x467) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
49 KB, 582x467
>>329326942
Set 1 and it should fix most games that get noticeable delay with vsync enabled, it might break some other games, you CPU usage will be higher too.
>>
>>329326976
Similarly, I had horrible screen tearing in Human Revolution with vsync diasabled. It's a lose/lose situation.
>>
>>329325849
locked at 62 thank you very much
>>
>>329326492

No, that's not how this works, you're clueless.

You enable vsync to prevent tearing, so your goal is better hardware and/or lower settings to obtain a better framerate to reduce/eliminate the mouse lag.

However, you may in some games be experiencing some weird effects whereas there's mouse lag regardless of your framerate if vsync is enabled, the source engine as of 1-2 years ago started doing this, and it was weird. To eliminate it in a game like CS:GO you cap the framerate to your refreshrate.

Old vsync used to just allow you to display whatever framerate you could at any given time and there was no extra input lag, just the normal amount due to the lower framerate.

Then in the last 5 years many studios started implementing vsync in the way it was originally meant to function, which was double buffered, if you couldn't match your framerate to the refresh rate, it would cut it in half.

The other older version is triple buffered.

Now there's a bunch of new versions.
>>
What is vsync anyway.

It syncs the framerate to your monitor refresh rate, right? How much does a monitor that refreshes at 60 cost?
>>
>>329326976
This is a really good point, to be honest. In >>329326942 I used TF2 as my example because in my experience, it receives the most input lag from enabling v-sync. Anything else, even other games on the Source engine, I can notice input lag but even the worst offenders are only half as bad as TF2 was.
>>
>>329327114
Locking frames with Vsync disabled does not fixes tearing issues.

The only way to avoid any tearing is with Vsync or Freesync/G-sync.
>>
60+ fps and no vsync.
No tearing if you do windowed borderless, like you should.
>>
>>329327052
They were a gameplay and atmosphere dev, not really an aesthetics and modelling dev
>>
>>329326370
>go play this game that is specifically bad with v-sync on, and pretty much the only game known to do this.

You could also dare him to play a game with the monitor off and then pretend it is a problem with the v-sync.
>>
>>329327226
I get noticeably worse performance in borderless fullscreen as opposed to true fullscreen in a lot of games. Might be related to the fact that I'm running a triple monitor set up, I don't know.
>>
File: 1452845246731.png (1017 KB, 800x681) Image search: [Google]
1452845246731.png
1017 KB, 800x681
>>329325849

Borderless Window
>>
>>329327129
Capping your FPS on CSGO adds input lag, and in TF2 and CSGO you need as much FPS as you can get to have the games runs smoothly.
>>
Vsync on and FPS globally capped to 59 FPS in RTSS. For some reason this eliminates the input lag from Vsync.
>>
>>329325849
60fps no vsync. Those two options are stupid though because it doesn't apply in the real world, it's normally just "Vsync or same framerate with no vsync".

Depends on how well the vsync is implemented, and how bad the tearing is. If I have an issue with tearing I'll try the Vsync, and if it creates a noticeable delay I won't use it. It's not a difficult concept.
>>
>>329327187
No shit it doesn't, but locking at certain frame-rates minimizes tearing. At 62, I only get a minuscule amount of tearing at the very bottom of the screen, basically unnoticeable.

Obviously it doesn't look as smooth as with vsync because that would be impossible, but it gets rid of the major tearing without introducing massive input lag.
>>
60FPS with no vsync.

I don't even notice the difference and it makes the game run better.
>>
File: 1451334742739.jpg (89 KB, 621x621) Image search: [Google]
1451334742739.jpg
89 KB, 621x621
>>329325923
>no vsync
seriously the only problem i have with this is Dying Light, but the weird thing is that I have vsync turned on but it still acts like its not...
>>
144 fps + g sync
>>
so many plain wrong "myth tier" statements and suggestions in this thread...

ill just say dont use nvidia inspector frame cap, use the game engine one if its available
>>
File: graph.png (33 KB, 952x405) Image search: [Google]
graph.png
33 KB, 952x405
>>329327669
>Jew-sync
>>
>>329327052
And that blue hammer, too?
>>
so borderless fullscreen and no vsync is the best option?
>>
>>329326370
I actually just did 120hz + v-sync Dead Space last week. You just have to disable the ingame v-sync and force it through your cards control panel.
>>
>>329327890
Yes.
And the calendars.
And the red toolbox.
And i'm pretty sure that magazine with the person that totally looks like Jason Lee on the front cover is in there as well. I think it's called Dude or Bro Magazine.
>>
>>329327828
that graph doesnt even represent anything
>>
>>329328282
for non graphical intensive games sure. everything else that requires every inch of performance out of your computer will benefit more from being ran in fullscreen.
the only game that i've ever come across that consistently crashes from alt tabbing is fallout 3.
>>
>>329328829
It represents your mom, anon. Can't you read?
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.