[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pokemon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 249x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 249x250
What do you do in these games? Is it worth $10?
>>
Just download a ROM. First gen is pretty shit honestly. If it wasn't for the nostalgia I wouldn't be replaying it myself.
>>
Not even worth $2
>>
>>329313916
Yeah the lack of item space is fucking disgusting

Hope they re-release gold/silver
>>
>>329313845
google.com
Pokemon red online emulator
Find out for yourself :^)
>>
Go buy the Gen 2 remakes or Black/White. They'll be more expensive, but superior in every way.
>>
>>329314093
why the fuck didn't they make crystal for the HH/SS series.
>>
File: 1456730331933.jpg (26 KB, 307x266) Image search: [Google]
1456730331933.jpg
26 KB, 307x266
>>329313845
Download a ROM, the re-releases are not worth it.
Yellow is the worst of Gen 1 anyway
>>
>>329314230
They literally included the elements of crystal in the HG/SS remakes you fucking tool
>>
I bought it and enjoy having on my 3ds since I still have a brick phone. its nice to have the nostalgia and call me a fag all u want but this was literally my rpg. guess im an idiot for payng 10 for a "rom"
>>
If you enjoy grindfests and collecting autism then it's made for you
>>
Not even worth downloading a ROM for other than for nostalgia's sake.. Just get fire red/ leaf green
>>
>>329313845
Playing mainline pokemon games. A complete fucking waste of my time. I wish I could take it all back.

Let me just explain for anyone who either isn't familiar with the series or doesn't understand why someone would feel this way about the games. First of all, in pokemon there are "natures" (such as modest, mild, bold, etc.) which basically boosts one stat and lowers another. You want to make sure your pokemon has the right nature, because if you pokemon is a special attacker for example, you're going to want one of the natures that boosts special attacks and lowers whichever stat you don't care about. There are 24 different natures, so in other words, only one out of every 24 pokemon you catch can actually meet its full potential. But it doesn't stop there.

There are these invisible stats called EVs and IVs. Unless you want your pokemon to have shitty stats, you're going to need to care about these hidden values. Unfortunately the method of tending to EVs and IVs involves a lot of RNG, silly little bullshit rules that you need to know, and grinding. IVs are stats which you cannot control; your pokemon is "born" with them. You're going to want either 5 or 6 IVs, meaning 5 or 6 of your stats will be boosted, similar to how natures boost a stat. So if your pokemon is born with them then how do you get more IVs? Well by grinding of course! You will need to have 2 adult pokemon of the same type (or a ditto to breed with them) (also note that this takes grinding in and of itself), then you have to put them in daycare. You will also need to attach items to the pokemon such as the everstone to ensure that the correct nature will be passed on.
>>
>>329313916
>>329313982
>>329314192
>>329314228
>>329314256
>>329316380
>>329316516
neo-/v/ baabies are disgusting.
>>
>>329316612
Have you heard enough yet of me explaining these dumb little rules? Because we're not even half way done. So now that you have 2 adult pokemon with the correct nature and the everstone in daycare, you need to just bike around a bit. That's right, literally just bike around. You're basically waiting for the pokemon to bang so that they create eggs (also, I should mention that there's a chance that the pokemon will not like each other). So eventually, the daycare guy will call you (or you can just go talk to him) and he'll give you the eggs. How do you hatch the eggs? More biking of course! But actually you need to do it a bit differently. You go put the eggs in the PC and fill up however many boxes of eggs you want to hatch. So once you're done grinding for a few hours getting all the eggs you want, now it's time to actually hatch them. So you go to the egg hatching spot (this is different in each pokemon game; usually a long strip of land or a tower that you can circle around) and you begin the long, boring, slow process of hatching your eggs. When hatching eggs, there is a very low chance that you'll get a shiny pokemon. But this is useless, because it will have shitty stats anyway. Literally you'll might as well just release it into the wild, it's unusable. It's not even something to celebrate or enjoy when you get a shiny pokemon because of this. Also, good luck getting the correct nature. It's still only a 50% chance even with the everstone. Also note that people actually hatch eggs just for the purpose of getting shiny pokemon but that's a whole new can of worms.
>>
>>329316701
Anyway, now that you've grinded for 20 hours or so, you've finally hatched all your eggs. Now you need to take your pokemon to the IV checker guy, and he'll give you some cryptic message, such as "Hm, I think this pokemon is 'fairly decent' ;)" which you need to type into google and figure out what the fuck he means by that. Basically, this is telling you how many IVs your pokemon has. He can't just say "Oh it has 3 IVs". No, it's cooler if he doesn't quite tell you how good the pokemon actually is so you have to resort to tools outside of the game. Quality game design right there. So now that you realize your pokemon has 2 or 3 IVs, you need to level it up until it's an adult (if it has the right nature that is) and then you need to breed again. You need to breed and breed and breed and repeat this process of grinding for hours and hours on end, all alone in a dark room until you finally have 5 or 6 IVs on your pokemon.
>>
>>329316776
So now that you have a pokemon with 5 or 6 IVs and the correct nature, congratulations! You're about half way done now. Now you need to look up on the internet some bullshit little rules for EV training, like you need your pokemon to have "pokerus" for example. Pokerus is a virus that infects your pokemon and allows them to be EV trained faster. You will also need some sort of item to attach to your pokemon (this varies depending on the game) usually some sort of belt or hat or something. You will also need to know about the different pills in the game, such as calcium, zinc, etc. and what stats they boost. You will need to buy 10 of these (they're expensive so you will have to grind for the money) and feed them to your pokemon before they encounter any wild pokemon. You also need to look up a list of what pokemon give off what EVs. Basically, you get EVs when you defeat certain wild pokemon; some pokemon will give attack EVs. Other pokemon will give special attack EVs, etc. so you feed your pokemon all the pills, attach all the bells and whistles you need, make sure you have pokerus, and then you begin grinding on these wild pokemon. You may need to kill anywhere between 50 and 300 (estimating) in order to fill up your EVs. Remember, pokemon battles are really slow, easy, and boring, so you have fun with that. Ok so now that you have all your EVs and IVs done, after grinding for about 300 hours just for this one pokemon, now you need to actually go train the pokemon normally. Just grind on the elite 4 or something for a few hours, until it's level 100.
>>
>>329316854
Now that you've done all this, you finally have a proper pokemon, worthy of being on your team! Now go do it 5 more times for whatever other pokemon you want in your party. Once you're finished with that, you can finally play online with other people! Congratulations! Too bad the community sucks dick and is full of whiny autistic little kids and manchildren, and the battle system is RNG based and is basically like playing rock-paper-scissors. So all that grinding you did? Yeah it was so you could play a slightly more advanced version of rock-paper-scissors. Hope it was worth it. Remember - Other people are spending their time working and earning money, helping people, having fun with their friends, or FUCK at least playing good video games. This is what you chose to do with your time. Congratulations. It wasn't worth it. No matter how much you lie to yourself and claim to enjoy this bullshit game design, it was not worth it. If any other game in the entire world had a system like this, it would receive metascores of 2 and 3. But because it's pokemon, it has a quadruple standard so the game actually gets "ironically" praised for this objectively bad game design.

Oh, and critics will say that you don't have to care about EVs and IVs. But yeah, you do. Everyone who plays the game online (the only way to get any kind of real challenge) cares about them. They all went through this process of 1,000+ hours of grinding, so if you want to win against their pokemon, you have to do it too. And I know you shitheads will find some little problems with how I described the system; like you will find some little thing I'm "TECHNICALLY" wrong about, and you will act like it debunks everything I've said. Like if I made a little typo somewhere in this, you'll act like nothing I've said is credible in any way. Stay delusional.
>>
>>329316692
(You)

Feel good now, champ?
>>
>>329316938
I would compare you pokemon fans who defend this shitty game design and will leave all kinds of butthurt responses to this post to scientologists - Or to any members of a cult / religion for that matter. No matter what I've said, instead of accepting that maybe there was a bit of truth behind what I'm saying, your mind instantly starts coming up with all kinds of defense mechanisms and excuses for why you don't have to accept what I've said. Whatever, that's your problem if you wanna play bad games. In every other RPG, when you level up you just get to pick on a menu what stats you want (or something like that, depending on the game). You don't have to play through the whole game first and then do all this shit.

Also I want to talk about pokegen. Yeah there's this thing called pokegen where you can just create pokemon so that you don't have to do all this grinding. How do you think the pokemon community reacted to it? Of course, the appropriate and expected reaction would be for them to like it. Wow, this means we don't have to do all that bullshit grinding and we can get right to playing the shitty multiplayer with each other! Nah. They fucking hated it, of course. If you use pokegen - Even if you don't cheat and you don't create pokemon with impossible stats - They will say that you're a "cheater" and that you just "want everything handed to you on a silver platter", and you will have to endure a monologue about how "I EARNED my pokemon!!!"

Of course, this is all just a defense mechanism for their time-waster's remorse and for someone beating them with pokemon that are perfectly legal and possible to obtain; they just don't like that someone is better than them, they didn't have to waste a bunch of time doing a pointless grind like they did, and that person probably has a life, unlike you.
>>
>>329313845
play a rom unless you're a dedicated pokemon fan like myself that will utilize trading with the Pokebank and shit.
If you have no friends to battle or trade online with, just play a rom cuz you're probably a poorfag.
>>
>>329316612
Step 1. Don't play 'competitive' pokemon
>>
>>329317091
Why did I type all of this? Because I don't want people to waste their time playing these games like I did. Never fucking play them. If someone tells you "it's not that bad" or "you don't have to grind that much", don't listen to them. Think of that person as some creep standing there handing out drugs to little kids, saying stuff like "don't worry, it's not that bad, you can just take one pill. It's only one :^)". If anyone ever tells you that the pokemon games are anything other than grinding trash, avoid them like the fucking plague.
>>
File: Leavanny.png (252 KB, 946x946) Image search: [Google]
Leavanny.png
252 KB, 946x946
>>329313845
>old pokemon games
catch pokemon, battle them, have fun
>new pokemon games
catch waifus, masturbate to them, shitpost on /vp/
>>
>>329316612
the only good thing about ORAS is that all of this doesn't take much time
>>
>>329317429
>>329317141
>replying to autistic pasta
>>
>>329317141
That doesn't somehow make all these criticisms of the game go away. If any other game was designed around this boring grinding-based gameplay, it would receive low scores and be considered a shitty game. It would either be hugely mocked on boards like /v/, or it would just fade into obscurity and be forgotten.

There is absolutely no reason to play pokemon when other better RPGs exist, like the Mario RPGs, Final Fantasy, Mother, etc. The only reason to play pokemon is ignorance and bad taste.
>>
>>329317590
>Final Fantasy
Speaking of ignorance and bad taste
>>
>>329317704
7 is good. It's way fucking better than pokemon.
>>
>>329317169
Hope you enjoyed grinding out your copypasta as much as you did grinding for Pokemon.
>>
>>329317851
Counterpoint: No, it's not.
>>
>>329317851
>Lists VII as the good one when VI exists
L
O
L
>>
>>329313845
Worth a pirate or playing it free
>>
File: HGSS_Jasmine.png (327 KB, 449x1280) Image search: [Google]
HGSS_Jasmine.png
327 KB, 449x1280
It's for the sake of getting Gen 1 Pokemon that you can transfer into the upcoming Pokemon Sun and Moon series.

If you simply want to play the games by themselves, then get the roms
>>
>>329313845
>cost $10.88
>you can only pay in increments of $10 in the eshop
is there a way to gain a code, or something like that? i'd rather not lose $9 since i only want to play Red
>>
>>329319998
There's been a feature to pay the exact amount for a very long time. Do you even look at the screen properly?
>>
Fuck Pokemon. We have game consoles powerful enough to handle just about anything, yet we're stuck in the ancient art form of static turn-based battles.

As a kid I always imagined Pokemon games in the future would get closer to realism, and emulate battles such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILgo5zmHq0Y

The little outliers and unpredictable shit that happened in almost every Season 1 battle is what made that show so damn good. But NO, instead the show ended up being more like the game, not the other way around! Fuck lazy developers and autistic Nintendrones.
>>
>>329316612

So, why don't you just hack? No more grinding.
>>
>>329320379
Battles after Season 1 became a snorefest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxu4biIUKCQ
>>
>>329319998
you can pay the exact amount, dude

and if you only want to play red, why wouldn't you just emulate it?
>>
>>329320558
pokebank, and i have time to burn between work, and classes
>>
>>329319998
Change zip code to Portland you're welcome
>>
File: get out and stay out.jpg (60 KB, 480x386) Image search: [Google]
get out and stay out.jpg
60 KB, 480x386
>>329314256
>Download a ROM, the re-releases are not worth it.
>Yellow is the worst of Gen 1 anyway

I guarentee this is bait.
>>
>>329313845
>Is it worth $10?
it is. but buy the game on ebay or download a rom for free
>>
>>329313845
The first battle you have in Yellow is 100 times harder than whatever shit you do in the new ones. Use that as a base of judgement.
>>
File: Yellow_team_0.png (32 KB, 372x224) Image search: [Google]
Yellow_team_0.png
32 KB, 372x224
>>329313845
Gen 1 is pretty awful, if you MUST play it, play FireRed or LeafGreen.
If you're trying to get into the series, go
FR/LG > HeartGold/SoulSilver > Emerald > Platinum >B2/W2 > X/Y
By the time you're done, Sun and Moon should be out.
>>
>>329314256
>>329324538
What's wrong with the eShop version? From what I've heard it's exactly the same as the original but with Pokemon Bank compatibility.
>>
>>329317231
holy shit, I'm constantly reminded that I wouldn't even care about pokemon anymore if they didn't make my dick so damn hard
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.