[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get good? I've peaked to the point where I no longer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: 2783721-4365956619-20140.png (309 KB, 1250x600) Image search: [Google]
2783721-4365956619-20140.png
309 KB, 1250x600
How do I get good? I've peaked to the point where I no longer get better by playing. The only people I ever beat in For Glory are the ones as bad as I am. Everybody else is a tourney player who FG's for the fun of it or someone who follows a favorite flowchart they got off of youtube. I can't short hop approach worth anything, can't utilize fast falls in any meaningful way, and my footstools need work too. I suck at teching, period. As a result I'm getting destroyed by tactics that should only EVER work on braindead, babby players, which means I'm probably one of them. I was just about done when I lost two stocks in a row to a resting Jigglypuff.

Advice/venting/salt thread. However, refrain from handing out advice if you play a Fire Emblem character. It doesn't quite mean as much when your it's your character that racks up wins for you.
>>
File: very hard.jpg (22 KB, 470x492) Image search: [Google]
very hard.jpg
22 KB, 470x492
Play a game that actually lets you get good
>>
>>329312535
I'll graduate to Memelee when I master Sm4sh
>>
File: Robin B&W.jpg (711 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Robin B&W.jpg
711 KB, 1500x1500
Ignoring your order. Robin main here, first off fuck you Robin is hard. Second off you gotta practice SHFF aerials in training, learn how to play quickly. Tell me what character you play and I can give you specialized advice.
>>
File: k8QYsl.jpg (134 KB, 625x897) Image search: [Google]
k8QYsl.jpg
134 KB, 625x897
I play Ness and Lucas more than anything. I honestly try my best to never kill with Ness' back throw though, if that helps my case at all.
>>
>>329313461
>>329313171
>>
1. Go to anther's ladder, not for glory. You won't get gud unless you get your daily dose of ass kicking from people better than you.

2. Play melee instead fggt.
>>
>>329313694
Go away Omni I already get destroyed enough and I never improve from it, clearly I need to change tactics and going to Anther's Ladder to get laughed at by tourney players isn't what I had in mind
>>
>>329313461

Do you like those mains? Do they feel "right" to you? As for me, I have several secondaries but Robin feels perfect for me. If you don't have that feel then maybe Ness/Lucas aren't who you truly want to play and that could be holding you back.
>>
>>329313839
Try characters that rely more on fundamentals. Marth just got buffed, that's a good place to start.
>>
>>329313962
I really enjoy playing Ness and Lucas because of how fun they are and how well their moves flow into each other given the right timing/circumstances. I haven't clicked with characters this much since Mario/Doc Mario, and I stopped playing them as much for different reasons. I've spent a lot of time in this game cycling characters and Ness/Lucas are definitely near the top as far as characters that I think "feel" right for me. I just need to learn how to make it work, that's all.
>>
>>329314324

Honestly Ness is super easy. You just need to get the DThrow combos down and SHFF. Lucas is harder but more rewarding in my opinion. Look up some videos on combos for them.
>>
>>329312435
>>329313461
>flowchart
>you main Ness
I hope you see the irony in this.
>>
>>329313171
Have any strategies for Robin? I like to consider myself a Robin main, but I still feel mediocre even after playing him from early on.

I usually prioritize aerials to make up for his horrendous ground speed but it's an uphill battle trying to keep up with faster characters.
>>
>>329313171
Not OP, but can you give me some good tips when playing Robin? S/he's my main too, but when I play, a tactic I usually do is just charge up thoron and camp it out at the side and hit multiple people at once and repeat until unable, pretty similar idea with 1v1s too.I guess I'm okay in proper combat too but I absolutely suck with aerials and comboing different attacks together. I want to get better. Someone help?
>>
>>329315038
I play Lucas more than Ness and at least I won't PK Fire into back throw.

But I won't hesitate to PK Fire into down throw into forward air into PK Thunder.
>>
>>329315325
If you're not taking all of your kill options then maybe that's why you're not doing as well as you want. Honor won't win you any battles.
Hell, I've won matches off of Giant Punching people with DK while they're taunting.
>>
>>329315121
>>329315287

First off, don't use Thoron. It takes longer to charge and doesn't grant you the amazing combo ability of Arcthunder, the edgeguarding of Elthunder, or the quick stopping of Thunder. Only whoop it out for the kill, and when you fire it, hold B to make it stronger and last longer.

The best thing to work on with Robin is spacing. You always want to be at mid-range: a spot where Arcfire will hit and so will Thunder. This gives the best balance of pressure from spells and a nice cushion. Make your opponent respect your space too, with Arcfires so you can force an air approach and then punish the approach/read an airdodge and capitalize on it.

That's all I got off the top of my head, that should get you started a bit.

Final tips:
>Use Nair offstage for edgeguarding, it sends at a brutal angle (destroys Falco and the like).
>Always charge Thunder when you can, get to whichever one you want and hold it for the right moment
>Use Nosferatu as a mixup or just use it while they respawn to get the book
>Similar to above, use books wisely. They're one of Robin's best projectiles
>>
File: pink_white.png (289 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pink_white.png
289 KB, 500x500
>>329315850
Thanks for the advice. A lot of that I've trained myself to follow, like using Elthunder as a general projectile or using Arcfire to manipulate the opponent's movement to where I can land hits. I find that Nair and Fair are great stopping moves for when someone rushes at you.

I guess my issue is just mixing up my strategy for when the usual aerial game won't cut it. Have to use Nosferatu and catch tomes more often.
>>
>>329315850

As for combos, nail down Arcfire to Levin Uair or Fair. Great damage and can seal a stock early with Uair on a stage like Town & City.

Another one is DThrow to Jab (Wind or Fire, whichever one). DThrow can also combo into Fair and Uair for the kill at decent percents for a kill combo.

Fair to Fair works sometimes, especially if you do a Bronze Fair into a Levin Fair. Besides that there isn't a ton of comboing as Robin, mostly just solid spacing and mindgames with spells to rack up damage.
>>
>>329316520

Sure thing. Mixups are important as Robin so definitely work on that. One of my favorites is approaching with Nosferatu against shield grabbers because it goes through shield and heals you as well as putting them on edge the rest of the game about shielding. Another good one is just switching up how you toss out Arcfires, for example throwing one down and then hopping over it quickly into a Nair approach.
>>
>>329312435
Play a real fighting game.

Blazblue is casual enough to get started with but still has a higher skill ceiling and a better community than Smash 4:

https://youtu.be/VxtLw3Qtj68

You will never see a Smash game play anything like that unless it's been modded like PM.

It took me a while to realize, but after hundreds of experiences just like yours, I concluded that Smash 4 just isn't fun competitively. It's frustrating.

Game is horribly unbalanced to lower the skill floor.
>>
Play melee that actually takes skill
Smash4 is for casuals
>>
>>329315121

Oh, one last thing I go to complete my three posts almost in a row:

Against rushdown characters, you really want to throw out Arcfires pretty much constantly. Wind Jab is also a godsend against SideB spamming Sonics, it just picks them up and they get trapped.

When they start to catch on to the Arcfires, make sure you read their jumping over it and punish accordingly. If you move to punish the jump and they airdodge, you can punish it harshly with a DSmash or an Arcthunder to whatever, probably FSmash. If they go in and attack then you can just bait it out and shield grab usually.
>>
>>329316981
I recommend switching to Guilty Gear once you get decent at blazblue however.
>>
>>329312435
>I've peaked to the point where I no longer get better by playing
No you fucking haven't. Go play at your locals and get stomped until you suck less.
>>
>>329312435
Play a game worth gud gitting at instead.
>>
File: 1449595672589.jpg (19 KB, 369x365) Image search: [Google]
1449595672589.jpg
19 KB, 369x365
>>329316981
>Play a real fighting game.
>
>Blazblue
>>
>>329317176
Yeah, Arcfire is a godsend is those situations. Whenever I see fast character online like Falcon, I immediately throw down an Arcfire at the start of the match to see what happens. They more often than not just run straight into it.

Well timed dash attacks also seems to catch them off guard, as do Ftlits. I'll try to keep the advice to heart, thanks again anon.
>>
>>329313171
What do SHFF aerials do when this game has such landing lag? Whenever I try, the opponent just shields or sidesteps and punishes during the landing lag.

I'm in an annoying zone where I can easily overwhelm anyone I know IRL but I get my ass kicked around half the time on For Glory and I think it's because I have no idea how to play neutral. I want to be able to use Mega Man, Ike, and Marth.
>>
OP here. I've been in training, practicing approaching a dummy Link with short hop neutral airs and keeping him from touching the ground with them. Is that an okay start? Where do fast falls come into play and how do I space myself appropriately so that I won't just land right in front of the opponent and get punished?
>>
I main PAC-MAN and have for a long time, and I'm trying to get into Wario as a secondary too. I'm really trying not to be a spammy PAC-MAN, but halfway through the match my strategies devolve into "throw hydrant, throw key at hydrant" and "throw enemy offstage and try to land a side b". What can I do to be more versatile with my approaches? How the fuck do I kill the enemy before 100%?
>>
>>329312435
Then you keep playing.
>>
>>329317676

You have to space them at the tip of your hitbox so you can have that space after. You can also go through their shield with it and wind up on the other side, which is hard to punish at first but they'll catch on so mix it up.

>>329318030

Fast fall after the aerial comes out, space so just the tip of the move hits. You're off to a good start.
>>
File: 1370917775925.jpg (57 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
1370917775925.jpg
57 KB, 500x341
>Spam projectiles.
>Shield or dodge their their only method of getting close to you.
>Grab.
>Throw.
>Repeat.
>>
>>329318208
Pacman can only really kill early with his fmash or upsmash
>>
>>329312586
Why? The fundamentals hardly transfer.
>>
>>329313461
>never use the back throw
Why not

It's great
>>
>>329317343
This, but don't play Xrd, play Accent Core +
>>
>>329317473
>telling someone to attend those autistic shitfests

Yeah, ok.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.