[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on MOBA's /v/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 9
File: moba.jpg (245 KB, 600x356) Image search: [Google]
moba.jpg
245 KB, 600x356
Redpill me on MOBA's /v/
>>
File: 1401459520156.jpg (30 KB, 700x242) Image search: [Google]
1401459520156.jpg
30 KB, 700x242
>>329294007
>>
>>329294007
Don't get fooled by the petty infighting of the moba community into thinking that any of the games is better than the others.
They are all casual trash.
This is all.
>>
Dota 2 is better.
>>
>>329294007
if you have fun playing a game, letting other peoples opinions of said game detract from your enjoyment of said game make you a shallow cuck. sit and meditate for a moment on what you find enjoyable about a game and make the decision for yourself if you enjoy playing it, adjusting your system of beliefs to placate another individual is the ultimate form of idiocy.
>>
>>329294007
RTS plus ARPG plus tower defense plus fighter plus FPS.
The games certainly have an appeal, but they're kind of risky to pick up since the communities are awful and that tends to weedle its way into even the nicest people who play, and they're known to be very addicting and kill your motivation to play anything else
>>
File: 1453181810421.jpg (219 KB, 995x835) Image search: [Google]
1453181810421.jpg
219 KB, 995x835
>>329294259
Where did the moba touch you, anon?
>>
>>329294007
i dont like them?
>>
>>329294007
We like to shit on it for the sake of shitting on it, but that's just /v/. Apart from the community, the games are fine. Just mute everyone when you play.
>>
people can like them, you can also, if you do not, it doesn't matter.

Play what you want to play, if your friends talk about it to you, nod and act interested, if that is all they talk about, why are they your friends?
>>
>>329295838
So you saved a picture that only serves as an ad hominem insult about a stereotypical strawman projected onto your opponent?

You didn't really think that's a real argument, did you?
>>
HoN is dead
League of legends is boring as fuck
and dota is infested with retards
>>
>>329294007
They are fun to play with a group of friends. Without friends to play with I'd choose any other game.
>>
>>329296191
>You didn't really think that's a real argument, did you?
Did you think >>329294259 was?
Shitpost in, shitpost out
>>
>>329294007
There's like 7 good players for each one
You get paid a million dollars when you sign up for Smite
>>
>>329296294
"casual trash" is a fairly fitting description of the most casual genre outside facebook games.
>>
DOTA2 is riddled with hacks. Most blatant one is trueshot critical strike on a hero less than level 6. Others include, inflicting attack speed slow from a low-level hero with otherwise no such skill of sort, or item for that matter. With a tournament currently ongoing, Valve has little to no support on matchmaking regarding hackers. Don't play this game at its current state.
>>
You'll get banned after a match in League if you type "gg ez", or "LATA BITCH" while playing Udyr
>>
>>329296461
Waiting for a real argument, any time you're ready
>>
>>329296510
>riddled with hacks

untrue
>>
>>329296461
I hope you are not implying that Dota is easy
>>
>>329296608
they're bad?
>>
ASSFAGGOTS are just a way that casuals waste time so they can feel like they're a part of something: in this case that something is "gaming culture"
>>
>>329296608
So basically you have nothing to say about me claiming that the games are super casual.
>>
>>329296682
spotted the hacker
>>
>>329296864
Casuals can play them, yeah, casuals can play any game, doesn't mean that they're good at them, what's your point?
>>
>>329296864
So basically you have nothing to say about >>329295838.
>>
>>329296461
>need at least 100 hours invested just to remember all the skills, items and mechanics
>thousands of hours to be decent
>casual
excellent meme redditbro
>>
>>329294259
>that guy who goes into threads of games he hates to say he hates them
like clockwork
>>
>>329294007
They were pretty good back in 2006 but now they're stupid safe space tier boring snooze fests populated by the most mentally challenged dregs of the games community.

Everyone who isn't a gaylord waste of nervous tissue just hops from shooter to shooter.

And I don't mean fucking Overwatch, I mean shit like Fistful of Frags.
>>
Team based games that people do solo queue ranked for. Responsibility of failures are deferred to people they don't know on their team, while victories are ego boosts for themselves.

Great genre for constructed teams, however. Only way to take the games seriously.
>>
>>329294894
Thing is that a lot of people aren't having fun with the game, but are treating it like a job. They feel like they're working towards some end goal that they don't know what is. Really they're just putting their existence on hold with these games while they could had actual good experiences with other games or have done something productive.
>>
>>329295838
>those who cant do can meme
>>
>>329294007
DotA is the most balanced, combat is very fast and typically over very quickly high damage and lots of burst, its community is the best

LoL is more unbalanced due to runes and character purchase system, but the ingame team fights are fun because they last longer and feel more like 'fights', less burst and more about sustainable damage, community is awful

HoN is dead, its the worst of all 3, and its community is the worst.
>>
Its a skinner box made to make you feel like you accomplished something
Like all video games. It just synthesizes it into its purest form.
>>
>>329294007
It's hard to redpill you on these games because, like ANY OTHER GAME, you'll have to see for yourself if you like them or not.
I have dumped many hours into Dota (and to a lesser extent LoL) and can tell you the 'skill' involved is less mechanical (like Starcraft) and more communication based (like WoW raids, for example.) You have to know what to do and when, and with whom. That's about it. The challenge comes from the incredibly aggressive, insecure manchild community that 7/10 times speaks improper or no english, always wants the most important role or plays the flavor of the month characters that are piss easy and still lose.
That being said, there are some great moments in all of the games that make them worth playing to some people. If you're fairly level headed and able to shake off negative retards, they're fun and somewhat rewarding. If you get caught up in the infighting, hate and tears then you'll hate yourself for playing.
>>
>>329294007
Game riddled with casuals that think they're good at the game when in reality they aren't anywhere near being decent.

It's Dunning-Kruger effect: the genre
>>
Only white-trash and cretins of the lower strata plays such games.

This is the first time I comment on this genre ever, since it's not even worthy a respond. Let the dregs gather together, and leave real gaming to us with more patrician taste.
>>
>>329296797
sorry to repill you brah but EVERY game is a waste of time. no one cares about you 100%ing DMC or unlocking all the characters in street fighter. no one is going to suck your dick for completing the katamari damacy campaign, and you aren't going to cure cancer by finishing dark souls 1 2 or 3. to think that any of the progress you make in ANY video game garners anything other than "passing time" be it enjoyable or "meaningful" is kinda master of euphoria status.
>>
>>329297216
This is sadly pretty accurate. Takes all the skinners boxiness of an MMO and condenses it into about a half hour and made it a competitive bragging rights competition.

But the skinners box is fucking effective in this case, and it'd be hard to argue against that.
>>
>>329297027
>Fistful of Frags
My nigga
>>
>>329297061
i can appreciate you wanting people to have good taste but youre not god. if people want to waste
their their lives playing a game why give a shit?
>>
>>329297305
Anon, before using thesauruses to sound intelligent on 4chan, you should probably master simple grammar.

Frankly, nobody cares it's your first time commenting on it. I understand why you might feel your opinion matters more because of that, but you're as anonymous as the rest of us.
>>
>>329294007
Play a couple games of league. Play a couple games of Dota. Choose whichever feels better.

I know you aren't actually asking though, do you just really like hearing the same arguments over and over? You even used the same picture.
>>
>>329294007

It's a team based game where anyone can potentially snowball and single handedly carry an entire team to victory. You mostly play with randoms.

Do the math on what that means.
>>
>>329297639
>Play a couple games of league. Play a couple games of Dota. Choose whichever feels better.
If you do this the result will nearly always be LoL but LoL is regarded by most people (even long-term LoL players) to be the worse choice

It's basically the fast food of the genre, it's real easy to pick up and appealing at first but after having nothing but it for long enough it just makes you want to vomit
>>
>>329297607
My opinion is merely a fact. Any individuals who plays "LoL" or Dota is going to be a trash person with no taste.

I hope this doesn't make you mad, but the truth is already known.
>>
>>329296907
I haven't had any problems either. Maybe it's ranked? Custom servers don't have VAC.
>>
>>329297880
>This obvious
Never mind. Go shitpost on a board that actually needs it.
>>
>>329297604
It's not so much about them being unproductive, it's about them playing mobas as if they were a low paying job, and with about as much enthusiasm as if it was a low paying job.
>>
>>329297787
>It's basically the fast food of the genre, it's real easy to pick up and appealing at first but after having nothing but it for long enough it just makes you want to vomit
You have to try HotS.

I'm still amazed that Blizzard still managed to casualised the genre even further.
>>
I like Dota the best. Haven't played HoN though.

Dota has more unique heroes than league, and just more gameplay mechanics and better items.
Those aren't why I prefer it though. I just prefer the more strategic gameplay in dota compared to Leagues faster gameplay.

Every fight in league is just based on damage. Its more like a shooter than dota in that you just have to react fast. Every ability is just damage, heal, slow or stun.
Dota has a lot more interesting abilities going for it, and is more about strategy and positioning. A team that is behind in farm and levels can easily win a teamfight if they play better than the other team for the fight. And there are a lot more active items.
>>
>>329297926
I've had two games where the enemy has a daedalus-like right clicks at level 2. One in ranked, the other unranked. Not custom server either.
>>
>>329298594
HotS is like 7-11 pizza at 3 AM
Disgusting when you first see it, disgusting when you've had it for ages
>>
>>329297787
>fuckinggggggggg this
I regret spending money on League.
Only reason I still play it is because I've sunk about $100 on it.

If anything, play dota.
>>
>>329298928
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>329298693
I'd really like to argue with that last paragraph there, as a dota player. I think it's unfair though, but this patch and the last two have boiled down to (in pub games and the competitive scene) either
>Don't let carry x farm, and push before 35 minutes
or
>Make your carry farm, and defend pushes
Really fucking boring. Teamfights end in moments too. I haven't had a good >30 second teamfight in a while.
>>
>>329297217
>>
>>329298901
I'm not the guy you were talking with, but in over 3k hours I have only run into one guy cheating, and that was just something that showed which enemys were illusions and I think also gave him truesight. People that use the program get VAC banned real quick.

There is literally no hacks that can change damage in any way, the closest thing to it was one guy who managed to find a way to send whatever packet(s) he sent when selling an item multiple times for a bunch of free gold. It was patched within a few days, with only one guy ever doing it.
>>
>>329299030
The greentext must be a quote meme is literally the worst thing to ever come over here with reddit. Including the people.
>>
>>329299245
Where is that graph from and how does it relate to the post you're answering to?
>>
>>329297434
He's mostly talking about cultural appropriation of nerd culture. Before autists like us identified each other through how much time we wasted in vidya/tabletop games/weird books/whatever.

Now everyone can be a vidya nerd and force their way into our shit by mostly playing mobas and other similar entry level games. I mean, I don't give a shit they enjoy these things or not, but those faggots should stop going around forcing themselves into these. This is honestly just inviting a bunch of secret club replies, but that's just how it feels.
>>
>>329299662
It doesn't always need to be a direct quote, but if you greentext random fucking statements in your post for no reason, you're retarded and you should have lurked more before you started posting.
>>
>>329298901
You sound like you're misinformed or really unlucky, anon. I've had at least 4000 hours and like this guy >>329299309 have only experienced one cheater (they used a loophole with the coaching system to get a 6th hero, pretty funny actually)
>>329299245
I gotta say that I mostly agree with this chart, but just because it's a graphic doesn't make it true or give it any authority, you know? Supplement this image with some opinion to make a more compelling argument. Also, I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or not.
>>
>>329297651
This, high variance is the most common feature of supercasual games.
Even the shittiest player can get lucky and have his time to shine. Of course, it completely destroys the skill cap of the game.
>>
>>329299834
It doesn't need to be fucking anything.

>I can use it to change the tone you are reading in if I want.

Its a tool to be used however you want.
>>
>>329299838
The coach bug allowed a coach to spawn infinite enemy heroes, and then silencer would kill them all for like 9k int. Pretty good.

I've seen plenty of bugs like that though. Just no actual hacks.
>>
f2p
third worlder bait games
one unit
autoattack
minimal amounts of pvp
high idle time
drone culture led to believe it's srs bsns, shill it for free
daily /v/ threads by paid shills like OP
>>
>>329295838
used to be a timmy, then i begrudgingly tried lol. It's fairly fun and i don't understand the hate.
>>
>>329300326
Watching a video of this, wow.

It's clear they've done it more than once, why do something so unfun?
>>
>>329300176
Sure, you can do whatever you want, but you're going to out yourself as a newfriend and have everyone laugh at you.

You're right, you can use whatever you want as a tool for whatever you want, but that doesn't make it right. You can make an omelette with a hammer if you want, nobody's stopping you but everyone's going to know you're an idiot.

Ignoring that something is wrong doesn't make it any less wrong.
>>
>>329300093
>Any player can get lucky and have his time to shine
Most players do, and that's where the inflated ego comes in, I'm certain of it.
And that's exactly why the community is shit. Every retard in every bracket is going to think they know better than the advanced algorithms that compare them to millions of other players. It's become hilarious to me how delusional some people are, but also how easily "bad" players will win games solo.
>>
>>329294007
the only go assfaggots games are DOTA 2 and SMITE. if you play anything else please kill yourself.
>>
i'm always curious how many of you faggots constantly comeinto the same threads and post the same exact things. This thread is made fucking daily and it's literally faggots repeating the same shit verbatim
>>
>>329300963
good*
>>
>>329300963
>smite
>good
>>
>>329299245
Nigger I have the Big Blue Blob, Better than Napoleon and World Conquest cheevos and I can tell you Europa Universalis doesn't take "high strategy".
And no EU3 didn't either, it was just more enjoyable.
>>
>>329301096
>This thread is made fucking daily and it's literally faggots repeating the same shit verbatim
Literally half of all threads, if not more.
>>
>>329301336
nice rebuttal famalia. tell me why its shit.
>>
>>329297787
>If you do this the result will nearly always be LoL
I used to think so, but I'm not so sure anymore. The thing is that the first time you play Dota, you will be confused (but then most games are confusing if you don't know anything about them). On the other hand, the game is pretty, the characters are really well voice acted and the abilities are impactful (a key issue I have with HotS is how terrible abilities are).

I actually think Dota 2 is fine as a casual game, and that a big thing scaring off new players is the self-perpetuating idea that Dota 2 is a game you need to play hundreds of hours in order to have fun. You don't need to know about things like stacking or even warding when you first start out, but people often act like you do.
>>
>>329294007
Played a lot of LoL back in season 1&2. Gave up on it because the game became worse and worse by the day.
Been trying some DotA recently and I have to say I enjoy it much more.

If anything my advice would be: do NOT get seriously into LoL. It might be more accessible at first, but the big problem of the game is it's stale as fuck. Everything that deviates from the cookie cutter strategy is immediately nerfed, and all champioons that do something too unique get nerfed or reworked until they play like everyone else.
That means your "reward" for getting good at LoL (gold in S1, don't know how it works now) is getting into a level of play where you're expected to do the exact same thing every game and the loser is whoever deviates the most from the optimal strategy. It's the most boring thing.

So far, DotA seems to have a lot more variation, and different heroes actually play entirely differently.

Also: all those games have shit community. Either ignore the constant flame, or better find 4 people to make a team.
>>
>>329300708
I didn't get to abuse it, but I enjoy the abuse of the bug whenever I do shit like it, not the winning.
I'm a sucker for glitches and stuff.
>>
>>329300754
People have been using greentext for any reason they feel like since 4chan has existed.

Its the newcomers that read the FAQ that think it was even originally made explicitly for quoting.
>>
>>329301630
Not him, but off the top of my head:
-dashfest
-"new hero is OP" syndrome
-active items system is terrible (sad part about this is it was actually pretty decent before their S3 change)
-various shit like enemy creeps blocking your shots but not their shots (which penalizes aggressive plays)
-towers are too fucking strong
-itemization is overall pretty boring; only items with actives are the active items of which you can only get two, some of the regular items have interesting passives but overall they don't, and they follow the LoL trend of higher tier items having better gold efficiency (which makes snowballing a bigger problem)
-the movement is really uninteresting and awkward compared to good third person games

I actually play Smite a decent amount because it's the only MP game some of my friends play. It was fine as a casual game (although the serious game modes are still bad), but I feel the Season 3 changes were terrible and really ruin the game.
>>
>>329302582
No they haven't.
I very rarely see people misuse it, and when they do multiple people usually point it out.

I'm sorry that you don't understand imageboard culture, but it'll come to you if you lurk longer
>>
>>329301692
I don't know man. Riot has been clever to put you on this treadmill where you unlock summoner spells and skills until level 20 (or is it 30? I can't remember). Also since you're playing against other player who are also climbing the rank, it gives you the impression that the game keeps fresh and is constantly moving.
Like, below level 10, nobody knows what the fuck they are doing, mostly you'll see a bunch of ranged carries and some nukers I guess.
Then around level 15, you start entering the realm of Tryndamere and Yi, since nobody knows how to CC you can pick one of those and dunk everyone.
Then from level 20 consistent jungle starts to be a thing and that's something new you discover, and so on.
Only when you start doing ranked and rank up a bit you slowly understand it's always gonna be the same.

At least that was my experience in season 1.

Outside of the "limited hero" thing, DotA kinda drops you in there with everyone else so it can be less attractive.
>>
>>329301630
- The game has the camera placement of a 3D game but is exactly as 2D as LoL or Dota because every attack is locked onto a 2D plane, means the game feels really limited and dull compared to actual 3rd person action games
- Shares all of LoL's flaws including the forced meta, snowballing thanks to samey characters and excessive focus on ability scaling, and also "get out of jail free" summoner spells as of the Season 3 update
- The lack of targeting removes a ton of the formula's planning and strategy element just to trade it off for a very microscopic amount of mechanical gameplay when compared to even the easiest FPSs and fighting games
- Art direction is god awful, "so randumb xDDD" skins everywhere which is even more tasteless than usual considering the characters are actual deities some people worship
- Itemization is boring and oversimplified, no components and zero item slot management, just build 6 endgame items one at a time

I play it because some friends are into it, but it is not a good game
It's a gimmick version of LoL, it's the kind of thing that would be a custom game if LoL's engine supported it
>>
>>329302882
Oh yeah if you meant it like that I agree, Riot does a good job of putting players in a skinner box to get them hooked and of limiting the options of the new players (which does make the game far less intimidating than if it gave new players everything, although I strongly dislike that tactic)

What I meant if that if a new player just plays the game, forgetting about trying to play optimally and just going with it, I really think that player will find himself enjoying Dota more than LoL. Basically what I think is that Dota is a more intimidating game than LoL, but also a funner game for new players if they manage to get past the intimidating "exterior".
>>
>>329303909
Maybe. I'd like to have the experience of a beginner to the genre when you start with DotA.
Like, would you go 0-20 every game or would it not be that bad.
>>
File: Wukong.png (228 KB, 388x512) Image search: [Google]
Wukong.png
228 KB, 388x512
Smite is the only one worth playing, and this beast here is the only reason why.
>>
How do i git gud on dota?
it's updating right now and maybe i'll give it a try
>>
File: monkey.webm (2 MB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
monkey.webm
2 MB, 720x1280
>>329294007
The term you're looking for is "dotalikes" and they're all trash. Don't bother with the genre.
>>
>>329304637
Have you played before, or are you just jumping in now? Have you played other assfaggots before it?
>>
>>329304743
new to this maybe played it once muh last hit and don't get hit is all i know honestly
>>
>>329299245
>coaster tycoon
>almost the same excitement as AoE and Total War
Who the fuck made this, and why are you posting it
>>
>>329302609
>enemy creeps block shots.
>Penalizes aggressive play
First the creep thing makes sense. there's really no way to make it so that shots go through the minions without adding a z-axis to the shots.

Second Smite is already way too aggressive for what it is. Anything that allows some semblance of passive play is pretty good for it.

Plus the wave is dead quick anyway.
>>
>>329304818
DotA has this nice "limited heroes" mode where there are only a few easy to use heroes selectable, it's nice to learn.
Also when I started I believe there was a "beginners only" mode that you could only play a few games in, don't know if it's still there. Surprisingly, at the time at least, it was NOT full of smurfs.
Read a guide on a hero before you play it.

General purpose guide:
https://purgegamers.true.io/g/dota-2-guide/
>>
File: 1454515641235.jpg (23 KB, 446x362) Image search: [Google]
1454515641235.jpg
23 KB, 446x362
>thinking /v/ can even stomach playing against another player without pooping pants
>>
>>329305359
Thanks i'll check it out
>>
>>329294007
It's kinda like smoking, even people who're into it would recommend you dont start.
>>
>>329294007
>redpill me
Kill yourself.
>>
>>329304850
well, in total war games half the time you are mostly doing unexciting things
>>
>>329305359
>>329305718
Don't worry about mad teammates. Find a role you enjoy, and play it while you learn the game in general.

Heroes I'd suggest starting with are Sniper as a carry, Lich as a support, Nyx as ganker sort of guy, Centaur as a tanky carry and techies. Techies is kind of unique.

Don't buy blink dagger even when its suggested if you are new, unless you can easily see why its useful such as for getting good black holes on enigma. Don't bother with it on sniper for example, you are going to be better off with a damage item until you get better at the game.
>>
>>329308372
I miss Techies.
>>
File: 1368524643565.png (123 KB, 334x226) Image search: [Google]
1368524643565.png
123 KB, 334x226
>>329308372
>Don't buy blink dagger even when its suggested if you are new
Pretty good advice yeah.
>mfw people put a fucking blink dagger in Invoker guides
NIGGER IF SOMEONE IS READING YOUR GUIDE IT'S BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THE HERO WHY WOULD YOU TELL THEM TO BUY A FUCKING BLINK
>>
>>329308573
The nerf hit him way too hard, but hes still playable. There is always room for a hero that functions off your opponents stupidity.
>>
>>329308573
I don't. He single handedly turns the game into a chore
>>
>>329308810
Yeah I don't think he's completely unplayable, but I don't play him, he just makes games extremely funny and sadly his popularity has dropped hard.
>>
>>329310371
Good, he's right where he belongs: in the occasional game to be refreshing rather than being the expected norm.
>>
File: CalciumConqueror.jpg (12 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
CalciumConqueror.jpg
12 KB, 184x184
>Trundle was my favorite champ in League
>They redesign him into a completely different character
>Skeleton King was my favorite hero in Dota 2
>They redesign him into a sad old man ghost
>>
The only one worth a shit is Dota 2. That's fact.
>>
>>329312092
>dota 2
>moba
>>
>>329313420
shut the fuck up
>>
>>329311558
>start playing dota
>main bloodseeker for ages
>hey guys we totally revamped bloodseeker! (After several nerfs beforehand as well)
>main techies for ages
>hey guys, we nerfed techies to oblivion, not because he was good but because a lot of people don't like him
>>
>>329315986

Techies demanded an amount of attention and investment from his opponents that was disproportional to any other hero.
>>
>>329317496
And he got completely and utterly shut down by said attention, unlike any other hero.
If you manage to hold onto a gem, or your supports actually buy some sentries the game is a 5v4.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.