[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As someone who dropped DA2 before she came back and never played
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
As someone who dropped DA2 before she came back and never played DA:I, I have to ask; Was there any reason that Gaider completely invalidated your choice to kill her?
Was there some particularly special function that she served that could in no way be fulfilled by anyone else?

I ask because it seems pretty pants on head retarded to not simply replace her with another character that fulfills a similar role, like ME2/3 did, unless she is absolutely vital to the plot.
I understand that with bioware being bioware it was probably initially just an oversight they were too lazy to fix, but was there any hint of another motive?
>>
>>329258945
Well she gets a pretty central role in dai and i can see why they would not want the extra work of having two different central characters depending on a choice in the first game.

But i think that they should have thought about that before letting you kill her in the first one if they wanted to bring her back so desperately.
>>
because FUCK YOU.
They needed a retcon.
>>
From what I've heard they tried to explain this fuck up in the last DAI DLC. That she was sent by the Maker to help the Inquisitor.......it's still bullshit.
>>
It's because DA:O is the only one you need to play and the others don't matter.
>>
Gaider is the guy that retconed desire demons because some San Francisco fat feminists were offended by their sexyness.

So this is not surprising.
>>
>>329259296
I can understand that, but couldn't they have just sidelined the character entirely and made an entirely new one up for the sake of being central to the plot? In DA:O, she was just some ex assassin who claimed to hear the maker's voice, and the ashes of Andraste quest makes it ambiguous if she's just making shit up for the attention and/or partly insane.

What I'm saying is that nothing in DA:O really lends her to being a unique character like Morrigan was (Since some other random witch having a demon god baby would be a colossal asspull), since you could just find someone else devout to fill her role.
>>
>>329258945

The real reason is that a focus group decided the character was marketable. All creative consequences of this are secondary.

We all know this to be the answer.
>>
File: Morrigan.jpg (220 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Morrigan.jpg
220 KB, 1920x1080
Because Bioware has a problem with giving you some choices while at the same time having their own idea of what you should've chosen going forward. They have their own story you're just riding along for where they decide what you should've done.
>>
>>329259814
Nah, with any creative decision in bioware/ea, you always assume ineptitude first, then greed.
>>
>>329258945
>choices mattering
lel. They tried to save face in the $15 DA:I ending DLC by revealing that she was some sort of lyrium ghost if you killed her(She's' still the exact same character though).
She was popular among the writers and devs That's why she's back.
>>
File: Baldurs gate fan buys DA2.jpg (30 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
Baldurs gate fan buys DA2.jpg
30 KB, 500x380
>>329260005
I still don't understand why Gaider got triggered over people pointing out the inconsistency.
Couldn't he just have flat out said
"We're sorry for the disappointment our decisions have caused, but we have decided to go in a new story direction and unfortunately this means having to undo some choices we previously made available. We appreciate the fact that you enjoy our games and characters within them enough to make such an impassioned response to our creative choices, and we promise to make sure they lead to a game worthy of your loyalty."?
It would let them wipe the slate clean, get away with a rather stupid decision and avoid an absolute PR meltdown.
Granted, the game did enough damage, but at least acting like a mature adult would give people hope the sequel wouldn't be as bad
>>
>>329260653
sorry, famalam. mature people work in video game in position where they dont have to answer to you.
>>
File: 1455743459075.png (213 KB, 500x602) Image search: [Google]
1455743459075.png
213 KB, 500x602
>>329260653
Because several of the people there seem to have trouble getting their heads out of their asses when it comes to things like that. It's even more stupid when they go and talk about how much they like interacting with the fans and everything.
>>
>>329260197

Aptitude at what? It's not EA's intent to make a good game. The decisions of these corporations are ruled by market data (rather than a drop of creative vision of passion) with the goal of creating profit.
>>
File: you were warned.png (467 KB, 767x873) Image search: [Google]
you were warned.png
467 KB, 767x873
>>329261040
I assume that when a bioware employee mentions fan, they actually mean sycophant
>>
>>329261040
How they handled the whole ME3 ending fuck up and SWtoR critics is a good example that Bioware is terrible at PR.
>>
>>329261108
I mean that bioware is so woefully incompetent, and so obviously lacks ANY kind of peer review or constructive critique outside grammar spelling, that it's always safest to assume they're just a bunch of idiots when you see any sort of retarded decision.
Well, not unless it's shameless Jewing (day 1 DLC, etc)
>>
>>329259731
bioware = shit writing

sure they could have permanently killed her off, but she was a romance option and people liked her. in bioware games even though these worlds are huge everyone has to know each other and cameo in sequels. it's basically fan service. though i did kill alistair in origins and he never showed up again so that's something i guess
>>
>>329261396

I don't think the CEO's who've made millions off dumb fuck casuals are incompetent or idiots at all. They're very good at what they do.
>>
>>329261402
Bioware's fan service is cancer and their fans are some of the worst out their and unfortunately their behavior is spreading. I remember how when the Witcher 3 came out how many people kept saying they wanted to have a Citadel dlc for that game were they throw in epic party. Literally one of the worst dlcs I have ever played. Fuck bioware and their shitty fan service and writing.
>>
File: 1439850702471.jpg (691 KB, 1804x1543) Image search: [Google]
1439850702471.jpg
691 KB, 1804x1543
>>329261754
IT'S TIME TO ACTIVATE SINGALONG MODE
>>
>>329261723
The competent ones are all at EA, and EA doesn't care what a studio does as long as they make an profit.
The most they do is rush out content and extort as much money from dumbasses as humanly possible, because they know they hit a goldmine in biowares (admittedly small) fanbase. They know that no matter what bioware shits out, Biodrones will eat it up, and the relatively small size of the fanbase doesn't matter as long as EA can cut corners.
They pretty much leave bioware too it because they don't need to intervene.
>>
>You couldn't fuck the best DA2 character because she was your sister
>You couldn't fuck the best ME2/3 character because they were a robot
>>
>>329261754
i always think of origins and me1 as the last ounce of dignity bioware had

they made those games, which set up their universes perfectly, with decent writing and characters, then came in the waifufags and bioware realized "holy shit we can put in half the work and just give these dumbasses romance and dlc shit"

hopefully CDPR won't give in to the same mistakes of bioware
>>
>>329262398
>You couldn't fuck the best DA2 character because she was your sister
I got the brother because I played mage.
That was bullshit desu.
>>
>>329263615
You'll be happy to know that Grey Warden Carver is probably only slightly inferior to Bethany.
>>
File: 1294218446007.jpg (85 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1294218446007.jpg
85 KB, 300x300
>>329258945
This is stupid
If EA wants to enforce something as being canon, then make a linear RPG
Stop giving use the illusion of there being choices, because obviously they suck balls trying to tie things together at the end.

Why is this even a topic--it should be world-renowned that Bioware/EA sucks at any sort of complex, comprehensive storytelling.
>>
>>329263615
Aside from the lack of tits Carver is actually a lot better as a character.
>>
>>329264627
every RPG is just an illusion of choice though
>>
why is origins so good? the 2 sequels i hate, but i just cant help but love origins
>>
>>329266658
Most games that give a choice are like GMs who have a story set out, but leave blank spaces to appease the players. ultimately, the players only fill in flavour, but that's not what matters
Bioware games are like the GMs who say that your character doesn't want to go anywhere their plot isn't.
>>
>>329266874
Fair enough I don't play modern Bioware games to be honest.
>>
>da origins
>have to kill off alistair for my warden to become king cause he's being a pussy about it
>engaged to anora
>future games barely reference it
>10 ingame years later still called "prince consort"
eat shit bioware
>>
>>329258945
She's in the main game? I don't remember seeing her on vanilla DAII
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.