[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rocket jumping in TF2: >Crouch >Jump before you fully crouch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 9
File: url.jpg (5 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
5 KB, 300x168
Rocket jumping in TF2:
>Crouch
>Jump before you fully crouch
>Flick mouse to project yourself in the right direction
>Fire rocket with a distance of how much height you want (To conserve health)
>Air control to where you want to be
>Sync another rocket or pogo off the floor / wall
>More air control
Rocket jump in Overwatch:
>Push rocket jump button
>Hold space and move around like you do on the ground

Overwatch is absolute casual garbage and I have no idea how anyone can think its fun. There is zero execution required to perform any of the mechanics. It's like if they made all the commands in Street Fighter into dedicated buttons. If nobody can fuck up the execution of an ability, there's zero skill gap between players.
The only differing factor is aim, but aim is a factor in every FPS ever. There's literally no reason to play Overwatch because you'll master it within two hours of playing it.
>>
>>329205562
What game do you expect them to play. TF2 is awful to play with all those hats and cosmetics.
>>
>>329205562
>Game is shit because I can't rocket jump
>>
>>329205678
Cosmetics have absolutely zero effect on the gameplay anon. Kill yourself.
>>
>>329205562
>TF2
>not hilariously casual garbage
>>
>>329205709
Game is shit because there's zero execution required. It's a shallow experience.
>>
>>329205562
>unnecessary overcomplicated garbage
>good

lmao sorry you need uneeded garbage to relate to your life
>>
>>329205678
You're retarded
>>
File: SvfE5oDswe8K.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg (87 KB, 878x494) Image search: [Google]
SvfE5oDswe8K.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
87 KB, 878x494
>It's like if they made all the commands in Street Fighter into dedicated buttons

and thats how it was made
>>
>>329205827
>complicated
I bet you find executing shoryuken's hard.
>>329205779
>i g-got my ass kicked in a v-valve pub
>c-casual g-game!
>>
Blizzard is garbage. I'm shocked.
Blizzdrones are the biggest retards in the industry, absolutely inhuman people.
>>
>bug abusing
>>
>>329205989
I haven't played TF2 for like 5 years now. I'm 5.7k in DotA 2 and a well known player in gunz. TF2 is fun, but if you're appraising it for not being casual, then you're retarded.
>>
>>329206137
>stop using mechanics that are too complicated and have existed for over nearly 20 years it's not fair! i only started playing games in 2007 :(
>>
Overwatch doesn't really have rocket jumping, the only character who can do it at all is Junkrat and he only dies it by jumping on his mine as he detonates it, which has like a 8 sec cooldown or something.

Nice bait attempt though i guess.
>>
>>329206194
>gunz
is that still a game? I thought it was closed down
>>
Blizzard games are designed for pseudo-nerds and bnostalgia goggled beta faggots who think that playing a Blizzard game is the same as playing a real RPG or MMO or whatever the fuck genre they've destroyed.
It's why all Blizzcucks are fat manchildren, dudebros, and gurl gamers.
>>
>>329206301
Pharah you fucking retard
>>329206194
You have absolutely no idea. You experience ends at public. I bet you think CSGO takes more skill than TF2 as well lmao
>>
>>329206321
There's still some private servers. Freestyle Gunz has ~200 players online usually. It's definitely nowhere near as popular as it used to be, but neither is any other difficult game.
Here's a video for you to enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppSU5xeEMdU
>>
>>329205678
>download mod to disable all the cosmetics
>suddenly GOTYAY
>>
>>329206464
CS GO is one of the shittiest casual shooters. CS as a franchise started in the era of quake, specifically for people who couldn't keep up with the non shitters.
>>
>>329206194
>TF2
>casual
there's a reason most players will take 100+ hours to master a class. The only exception is Heavy, but because Heavy sucks ass playing him at a competitive level takes a very strong sense of strategy and timing.

It's no quake but it takes more skill than the vast majority of multiplayer games out there to master.
>>
>>329206464
>'Pharah you fucking retard'
>a character with a jet pack that can fly around for a limited time
>being the same as rocket jumping in any capacity at all
Yikes, and you call me the retard? Embarrassing.
>>
>>329206624
Cool post silver shitter.
>>
>>329206464
that's not a rocket jump it's a jetpack
>>
It was designed for MOBA shitters
>>
>>329205678
tf2 used to be a really good competitive game. hats and shit ruined everything though. tf2 had more competitive integrity than csgo ever will have
>>
>>329206647
Wow, you're actually this fucking retarded.
Both Pharah and the Soldier and Rocket Launchers, but the way Pharah gets air-time and the mechanics / execution required to perform those mechanics are embarrassingly simple compared to soldier.
>>
>>329206663
I was LEM when I quit like a year ago. Relax, it's ok to enjoy casual games. I literally just got done playing pikmin a few hours ago and it was fucking great. I just don't go around spouting how pikmin is hardcore though.
>>
>>329206848
>hats and shit ruined everything though
Give an objective reason why you think this. I see this shit echo'd often, because you read it someplace else and can't think for yourself. Go on. Explain.
>>
>>329206938
Even if it were casual, it would mean CS:GO is one of the best casual games available. There's a difference between good casual games and shit ones. Blizzard produces nothing but shit casual games that try to come off as hardcore.
>OMG hardcore raiding!
>OMG D3 so grindy!
>I play HotS, I'm so good at MOBA's!
Fuck Blizzard and their drones.
>>
>>329206848
>>329206978
The good players all leaving is actually what killed it, which is a partly a result of the trading economy.
>>
I don't know hot to explain it, but all post WoW blizzard games feel like they have 0 "impact" sc2 suffering the least from this.

It's like, I see my character doing some crazy fire move and tons of numbers, but it doesn't feel fun.
>>
>>329207062
>The good players all leaving is actually what killed it, which is a partly a result of the trading economy
Such as who? Nobody who played TF2 for the gameplay left because of the economy. It doesn't even remotely make sense because they aren't linked at all.
>>
>>329206978
because it brought in a lot of casual retards who had no interest in getting good. instead they just wanted to collect shit. the overall quality of the player base decreased drastically when hats were released
>>
>>329206882
Yeah i know this is hard for your brain to comprehend and all that, but flying around with a jetpack is kind of different than launching yourself into the air by shooting the floor with a rocket launcher. You know, one character is literally flying and the other isn't. Whoaaaaa mind = blown. Yes Pharah's mechanics are way easier, but that's because on the count of the whole flying with a jetpack not shooting herself into the air thing, you know.

If there was a character flying in a plane would you compare them to soldier too? Lmao.
>>
File: 1440961256801.jpg (1 MB, 4751x3086) Image search: [Google]
1440961256801.jpg
1 MB, 4751x3086
>>329207063
Activision merger. nuff' said. Blizzard died a long, long time ago. The people who made SC2 were not the real Blizzard, just a shitty facsimile riding their success.
>>
>>329207060
Yeah, Blizzard tends to just make products for their audience, which are generally casual players who sink a lot of time into games.
>>
>>329207196
sure they are. TF2 as a game is very much a community based game when the community evolves into something acerbic and shitty people will tend to want to disassociate with it.
>>
>>329207202
>because it brought in a lot of casual retards who had no interest in getting good. instead they just wanted to collect shit.
Has zero impact on gameplay
>the overall quality of the player base decreased drastically when hats were released
On what, Valve servers? You realise that Valve quickplay servers didn't come until way after the economy was introduced, right?
If you think the playerbase is bad because of public servers, you're absolutely 100% fucking retarded. If you want "proper" games, then play mixes / pickups.
You said absolutely nothing about the gameplay changing because of the economy. Fucking kill yourself you autist. You're just echoing shit you've read elsewhere and don't have a single excuse.
>>
>>329205562
>different games have different mechanics

wow
>>
>>329206635
Is this bait?most People use to idle in class base servers when the hat drop rate was high

Or achievement idle servers where you pick your class and do things around the map to get your achievements then idle

No one actually play tf2 competitively and the esport scene suffer cause valve never did anything with it

Now most of the esport tf2 teams move over to overwatch recently
>>
>>329206510
I can't remember the last time I played Gunz, but why is the person swinging the sword all the time?
>>
Why do people come up with such stupid explanations about tf2's current state?

You know what's worse? These people don't play tf2 anymore or never played it and just repeat what they read somewhere else.
>>
>>329207364
Their original audience wasn't casual. They completely sold us out for money.
>>
>>329207240
That's my ENTIRE POINT you fucking autistic faggot. Rather than having complex mechanics that take skill to execute, they made getting air a button press.
It being a jetpack is just a cosmetic excuse for why she is able to get air-time you dumb faggot holy shit.
>>
The hype behind OnlyWatch is tanking fast. Next to no one talks about it anymore, and it's twitch numbers are nothing to write home about.

Blizzard did it to themselves honestly.
>>
Mechanical intensity is not required or necessarily a qualifier for a good game.
>>
>>329207415
quit sperging out you fucking virgin. i've been playing competitive vidya since ut99. i've seen it happen. the competitive scene is only as strong as the pub scene. pubs are what feed the next level
>>
>>329207562
>people legitimately believe that Overwatch will fail financially
not even /v/ can be this retarded
>>
>>329207597
Yes it is, otherwise why bother playing. If you master the game in 30 mins, there is absolutely zero reason to continue playing.
>>
>>329205709
did you even read his post?
he's saying the game is shit because everyone can rocket jump
>>
>>329207691

Where in my post did I say that?
>>
File: Mei.jpg (170 KB, 1024x964) Image search: [Google]
Mei.jpg
170 KB, 1024x964
Mei is cute and thick! CUTE AND THICK!
>>
>>329207691
A man can dream. Some of us want to cling on to the hope that there's justice in this world.
>>
>>329207638

Then you'll be happy to know that the great majority of tf2 players are pubbers.
>>
>>329207638
No you haven't. You a fucking pub shitter who has absolutely no idea what you're talking about at all. The very fact that you don't understand the basic concept that cosmetics has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the gameplay proves you're fucking retarded.
You still have yet to give me a valid reason. Get the fuck out you stupid cunt.
>>
>>329205562
why are you so fucking mad? if you don't like the game just dont play it
>>
File: sweatshirt.jpg (71 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
sweatshirt.jpg
71 KB, 450x450
I just realized all of the people I was subscribed to that got beta access stopped uploading content of this game within the month.
That can't bode well.
>>
>>329207490
So GunZ gets its insanely fast pace from animation cancelling. For example, instead of walking forward, most people will instead opt to "butterfly", which is switching to your sword, jumping in the air, dashing forward (double press w), slash your sword to cancel the dash, then block with your sword to cancel the slash. This way, you are moving at a high speed through the air and can then proceed to use your gun or keep using your sword.
Another example of sword usage is shotgun shooting. Instead of just shooting, pumping, shooting, pumping etc., it is actually faster to shoot, switch to your sword while attacking, block to cancel the attack, then switch back to your shotgun, which will bypass pumping. Nearly all sword actions can be cancelled with other actions, while some gun actions, like dashing, are not cancellable. Therefore, the sword becomes very important for advanced movement.
>>
All these flavours and OP chose to be salty, just can't handle the death of tf2
>so sad
>>
>>329207807
they are pubbers who have no interest in getting good. they get gratification from collecting shit. that's all
>>
>>329207546
So your complaint is one character getting in the air in a game is easier than a character getting in the air in a different game?

Wow, what a shocking revelation. I had no idea different games had different mechanics. You know what though man you're right, fuck this bullshit, why do i have to press a bunch of buttons to climb stuff in Mirror's Edge when i can just press one button in Assassin's Creed? WHY CAN'T THEY FUNCTION THE SAME REEEEEE
>>
>>329207697
>Call of Duty WaW is a bad game because you can't do crazy shit with a million inputs per second
>SC2 is a good game because having a really high APM gives you an advantage
>>
File: cuckatoo.webm (798 KB, 426x426) Image search: [Google]
cuckatoo.webm
798 KB, 426x426
>>329207505
As someone who played BF1 and BF2, I know your pain.
>>
>>329207734
>game is shit because other people can be as good as me
>>
>>329207902
It's a shitty casual game with no substance. You can only play the way Blizzard makes you play, there's no room for creativity or finding your own ways to have fun.

It's like HotS and Dota 2. Dota 2 offers far more replay-ability and ways to change the game, HotS is full on communism and forces the same shit every game no matter what. It's fucking cancerous.
>>
>>329207835
you legitimately have autism, kiddo. it has nothing to do with the game play. it has everything to do with the player base. enjoy your dead game with no competitive scene, retard
>>
>>329207946
This go's for the entire gameplay you fucking retard. There is absolute zero depth to Overwatch. Making a comparison to another game to give an example of execution for movement is a valid criticism.
Overwatch has absolutely zero execution / mechanical depth and is a garbage casual game
You're slowly fucking getting there, maybe one day you'll understand.
>>
>>329207905
>Another example of sword usage is shotgun shooting. Instead of just shooting, pumping, shooting, pumping etc., it is actually faster to shoot, switch to your sword while attacking, block to cancel the attack, then switch back to your shotgun, which will bypass pumping.
Literally difficulty by execution. This is just a shallow barrier of "you always need to do this dumb bug in order to not be at a handicap". There's no strategy on whether to do this weapon switching thing or not, you just need to do it if you plan to use the shotgun. Shit design desu
>>
>>329208081
>being this defeated
You still haven't proven your point. I say your point, but you just echo shit you've heard elsewhere because you're a fucking retard with no idea about anything
Please, consume everything under the sink you fucking faggot.
BTFO.
>>
>>329206557
What mod is this?
>>
>>329207916

All of them? Doubt it, besides, idling for items died a long time ago, valve first killed text idling, then they modified the drop system, then traders inflated the prices so much that now a key is worth over 270 craftable weapons.

Stop being stupid man, you know nothing about tf2.
>>
>>329207458
>people idled
>means there was no competitive scene
???
Besides my argument is not whether there was a scene or not just that TF2 is a difficult game to master. Even some of the best gamers I know will get shit on by average pubbies that play the game 3+ hours a week if they haven't barely played tf2 in their life.
>>
File: 1445870039991.jpg (505 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1445870039991.jpg
505 KB, 1500x1500
They could release digital shit on a plate and sell millions in the first 24 hours.
The only way to stop Blizzard is to literally destroy them.
>>
Reminder that no matter how hard you try to shit on Overwatch, it's going to be a huge financial success for Blizzard and TF2 will still continue to be dead
>>
>>329205562
The whole fucking point of pharah is that she has a jet pack. That's why she can fly because she has a fucking

JETPACK
>>
>>329208267
Just like ToR.
>>
DUDE
ROCKET KORRA
LMAO
>>
>>329208267
TF2 is far from financially dead though
inb4
>y-yeah but it's shit now!
the point you made in your post was that Overwatch was going to make money regardless of how good it will actually be
sounds familiar?
>>
>>329208272
She has a jetpack because they needed a way to have a "rocket jump"ing character that didn't require the execution depth of it you fucking retard.
The cosmetics of the character have absolute nothing to do with the mechanics of doing the same thing which is getting air.
>>
>>329208158
This is good game design though, even if unintentional. This forces you to choose between using your sword between shots to increase your shooting speed or to increase your movement options. Due to the level design and ability to rapidly move around the stage, you could easily outmaneuver someone who chose to stay stationary while shooting, while still getting shots off yourself. I'm honestly not a big fan of the input barrier, but despite them, it still forces a decision point that gives players more options than just shooting.
>>
>>329208183
you should really kill yourself you autistic virgin

really, i do hope you enjoy playing dead games

don't bother responding, but your autistic ass will anyway
>>
File: 1454526958055.jpg (380 KB, 1484x1978) Image search: [Google]
1454526958055.jpg
380 KB, 1484x1978
I never understood why people say TF2 is dead when it's the third most played game on Steam, even though it's been out for over nine years.
>>
>>329208101
Kek. I'm not getting anywhere, i'm just fucking around with you because clearly you're autistic and getting pissy easily. Case in point with the majority of the thread flinging shit at you.

Your complaint is one game is easier to play than another. So fucking what? Do you want a pat on the back for figuring that out? Guess what man, CoD is also easier than most FPS and has little depth or execution in it. We already know. If you just wanted to start a thread about how easy overwatch is compared to other games you should have just said that instead of that completely autistic post about a rocket jump versus flying with a jetpack.
>>
>>329205562
nothing against tf2 rocket jumping, I had put probably 800-1000 hours into back when I actively played, but
>Sync another rocket or pogo off the floor / wall
>using anything more than a single rocket per jump outside of jump maps
99.999 percent of the time this is the most health inefficient thing you can do and will just get you killed for being an idiot trying to show off a skill that doesn't really matter that much in the core game

you already take like 45 minimum from a rocket jump, 60ish if you want some decent distance/height, and shooting a rocket directly under your feet as you cross will easily do upwards of 90 damage. Doubles will probably do 200+ health after fall damage and then the combined impact of 2 head on rockets below you, and triples aren't even worth talking about in standard maps.

>inb4 gunboats

>>329207597
Complex, high skill ceilling movement systems are the only things that actually interest me. 90% of the time I'll barely even play the base game and just spend all my time trickjumping. Did it with defrag, did it with tfc, did it with tf2, kind of sort of did it with T:A but that game was just too damn basic.

Need more games with fun movement.
>>
>>329208081
>being this retarded
>>
File: CDHPN7MUMAIBvLo.png (123 KB, 448x394) Image search: [Google]
CDHPN7MUMAIBvLo.png
123 KB, 448x394
>>329205562
>implying H4RDC0R3 TF2 players don't just use scripted keybinds to do the same shit
>>
>>329208451
>they make a character with the sole purpose of being a flying character
>gets angry when they make it so people can fly with that character

How are you this fuckin neckbearded
>>
>>329205562
>There's literally no reason to play Overwatch because you'll master it within two hours of playing it.
lol I said that a while ago and Blizztards threw a shitfit of denial.

For what it's worth though Quake doesn't require you to crouch either; the issue with Overwatch is how fucking boring air movement is to use, and how mechanically dull it is.

>>329205739
Hats and current TF2's artstyle are fucking disgusting to look at.

Stupid balance changes (& weapons) don't help either.
>>
>>329208451
>She has a jetpack because they needed a way to have a "rocket jump"ing character that didn't require the execution depth of it
there's already characters in the game that have traditional explosive jumping. they also travel faster in the air then a character with a floaty jetpack
>>
There is no rocket jumping in Overwatch. If you mean Pharah, it's a jetpack.
There is mine jumping, instead of 'nade jumping, though. But that works identically.

And Junkrat is both fun as fuck and exceptionally viable.
>>
>>329205562
Both of these are shit anyway, why does anything matter.
>>
>>329206848
'comp' tf2 has always been a joke and they had to bastardize the game worse than smash to get it to a semi-playable place, and it's still only for people who can't hack quake

it's true that all the pubstars started to quit when hats were being added, but that had more to do with people just getting bored and moving on to other things than the core gameplay changing

I will give you though that unlocks acted like new player traps and prevented anyone new from seriously learning how to be good at the game, there aren't even decent pubstar players anywhere anymore because of how unlocks fucked the skill curve
>>
>>329205562
Have you ever thought that maybe (just maybe) this game isn't meant to be like TF2? I know, it's quite a new theory, but bear with me for a little bit. One is made by Valve..and other Blizzard. Wait, it keeps getting better. Both involve having fun right, BUT TF2 has been around longer and no ones played Overwatch long enough to even make a meta or find little quirky things equivalent to a rocket jump. It's almost like (holy shit here it comes) they are two different games!!! OH MY GOD!?!
>>
>>329208798
How are you that fucking illiterate.
>>
>>329208371
ToR is a big success for Bioware, and makes them a lot of money. It's doing wery well after the F2P switch.

Yes, I am aware that this is a bad thing, and that in a just world that heap of shit would crash and burn.
>>
>>329208458

Why are you so assmad about tf2 anyways? The game is far from dead, many people spend a lot of time and money on it, pubs are viable and fun now, and everyday I encounter more people that know how to play.

It has a robust install base, a well established economy, and great gameplay that allows a competitive scene. It won't be dethroned, overwatch won't die, I'm sure of it, there are too many casuals out there that will play it nonstop.
>>
>>329210634
Was that game maybe (just maybe) meant to be good? Because they failed.

And fucking lol if you think Blizzard didn't just look at what's popular and tried to "put their own spin on it."
>>
I miss TF2
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.