[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HoMM?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
I've played King's Bounty, but not HoMM, and it's mostly a basic rpg with a battle-map thing... what makes it popular?

are there any similar things for sci-fi?
>>
>>329166115
It's the ultimate fantasy army roaming simulator. I think Age of Wonders is better, but they are rather similar. You've got a hero, units, roam around, kill folks, get gear, level up. All of that with interesting and tactical battles. It's fun.

Highly recommend AoW3. Others are going to recommend HoMM3 - which I couldn't really get into.
>>
>>329166397
would you say HoMM is a sort of 4X then?

I mean, it's not quite as open as most 4Xs, since there's a lot of prebuilt elements, but a lot of it feels like it's a close cousin at least.
>>
>>329166829
Nah, you're not really conquering territory or building cities or an empire. Just look up some gameplay. Again, if you specifically want HoMM, go for the third one. It's on GoG, pretty cheap.
>>
File: 1430480137849.png (280 KB, 799x302) Image search: [Google]
1430480137849.png
280 KB, 799x302
>>329166829
In 4x you either have no combat system or you just autobattle because the combat system sucks. The focus is on managing your cities, expanding, diplomacy and all that sort of stuff.

In HOMM you just build up your city to build up an army in order to fight things to unlock more of the map to get more ressources to build up your city more to get better at fighting things so you can go to your opponents to fight them and win the map.
The battles are actually pretty fun and intricate.

It's not all that similar.

>>329167185
HOMM 5 with expansions is also really good.
Sure, 3 is the perfect classic, but 5 is more expansive and has some cool additional mechanics over 3. Only downside to 5 is the cartoony artstyle and the fact that turns are unneccessarily slow.
>>
>>329166115
HOMM 3 is the best game ever made, just play it. It's really fun with friends and hot-seat is easy to set-up.
>>
>>329168203
I don't suggest starting with HOMM V, story is too shit and camera is crap. Original campaign in HOMM isn't great either but expansion campaigns are great. Also mechanics are actually streamlined and it's definitely not more expansive.
>>
File: game clash-of-heroestcm2165081.png (756 KB, 809x787) Image search: [Google]
game clash-of-heroestcm2165081.png
756 KB, 809x787
>enjoy the fuck out of Clash of Heroes
>find the main series is boring and super generic
>>
>>329168529
HOMM 3*
>>
>>329168529
>Also mechanics are actually streamlined and it's definitely not more expansive.
It definitely is a more expansive game with more depth.
>>
>>329168869
Feel free to add examples.

Pro tip: You can't. Which is why HOMM V scene is pretty much dead while HOMM 3 keeps getting awesome content (like HoTa) and MP scene keeps growing.

It's 3rd best HOMM game and fun with friends, but it also has the least depth of the 3.
>>
>>329168529
>story is too shit
Only story I ever remotely cared about was Chronicles and I guess Battle of the Sexes.
But both of those are part of/built on 3, so I guess you have a point.
I really just play skirmishes most of the time and I think a lot of people do the same.
>>
>>329168529
>caring about story in HoMM
wow
>>
>>329169135
>Feel free to add examples.
Hero progression and two different unit upgrades come to mind.
>>
>>329169432
>he doesn't know HOMM2 had a nice charming story
>he didn't like SoD story
>he doesn't think people playing the game for the first time might not care about the story

Top kek
>>
>>329169532
2 is my favourite HoMM and not once did I think about the story
>>
>>329169487
>Hero progression

Explain how it's expanded and more in.depth from HOMM 3.

> two different unit upgrades come to mind
WTF? Are you talking about HOMM 4 or HOMM 5?
>>
>>329169610
So because YOU didn't care about the story it's "wow" when someone else does? And it's so incredibly difficult to imagine how anyone in the whole world could care about the story?
>>
>>329169892
calm down cheese tits I was jus shitposting for the sake of it
>>
>>329169762
>Explain how it's expanded and more in.depth from HOMM 3.
You get basic tiers of skills like before, but for every tier of a skill, you can also pick another skill specific to the skills you have. If you have luck, you can get a skill that increases the chance of procs to happen, for example. And once you start having more of these, they start to interact and unlock new skills. If you are Inferno and learn logistics, there's a skill that gives you the Teleport spell with a massive initiative boost for the teleported unit, for example.
>WTF? Are you talking about HOMM 4 or HOMM 5?
HOMM 5 with Tribes of the East expansion, every single unit in the game has two different upgraded versions you can pick from. Do you even know the games you're shitposting about?
>>
>>329170381
Yes, huge mechanical skill is needed to have luck to unlock a skill that works with another skill.
>>
>>329170381
>two different upgraded versions you can pick from

Which works like in HOMM4 where one is ALWAYS the better choice.
>>
>>329170627
I said it's more expansive. I never said it's more challenging.
And the large pool of skills does add variety in hero builds, which definetly adds value to the game.
Why are you so defensive anyway?

>>329171045
I wouldn't say always. There are some decent choices in there.
>>
>>329171392

I just disagree that it's more mechanical and that it has more depth. Especially the later.
>>
There's some tension in the thread so I will just post some GOAT songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDXNSWJLuo
>>
>>329171678
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtfcJ874pMo
>>
>>329171678
>>329171778
4 did so many things right, too bad the gameplay was kinda sketchy
>>
>>329166829
>would you say HoMM is a sort of 4X then?
It's not.

It lacks the Expand part of 4x games which is settlings new cities.

AoW2-3 are 4x'es.
>>
>>329171998
>4 did one thing right and it wasn't the gameplay
I agree
>>
>>329171998
Yeah, great story from what I remember, amazing music, removal of chaining (which is good and bad depending on who you ask),some great spells etc.. But it also had weird battle camera, 0/10 AI that especially didn't know what to do when heroes enter the battle and games in MP too FOREVER. Also NWC died and never balanced the game that had too many things being OP.

Probably worth playing only for the campaign and music.
>>
>>329169135
>Which is why HOMM V scene is pretty much dead while HOMM 3 keeps getting awesome content (like HoTa) and MP scene keeps growing.
If you're gonna use the "argumentum ad populum" fallacy to defend your point, I'll use it too and say the reason for that is that more casual games attract a larger crowd. That's why games that are much better and more hardcore than HoMM3, like Dominions games or Master of Magic, are nowhere near popular.
>>
File: Endless Legend.jpg (636 KB, 1901x1070) Image search: [Google]
Endless Legend.jpg
636 KB, 1901x1070
>>329166115
>are there any similar things for sci-fi?
>>
Has anyone played 7 a lot?

I was thinking about getting it, but 6 was just bad.
>>
>>329174118
Literally everyone agrees that HOMM3 is less casual so your argument is, sadly for you, wrong. Russian scene is the strongest and HOMM V is a game for kids there. Also nobody said that HOMM 3 is better because it's harder.
>>
>>329166115
>>329174224
OP listen to me, stop. Listen. That game. Endless Legend. Play it. It's the best thing ever.

Everyone, just do it.
>>
>>329174224
Fallen Enchantress and Age of Wonders
>>
>>329174118

Speaking of Master of Magic, the Caster of Magic mod looks interesting enough that I may pick it up again.
>>
>>329174319
>Literally everyone agrees that HOMM3 is less casual
Literally everyone except people that don't. Nice one.
HoMM is one of the most casual and dumbed down of all big fantasy (and most of non-fantasy) turn based game series out there. It's literally Master of Magic with 80% of features removed. So if you're gonna argue about which game is more in depth and streamlined, you shouldn't be playing a babby's first TBS like HoMM in the first place and step up to something for a more mature audience.
>>
>>329174685
Let's play HOMM3 then, I'm sure your hardcore skills from MoM will help you beat me then. Let's use gameranger, hamachi doesn't work on my PC for some reason.
>>
If you like King's Bounty, Homm is likely going to fall short for you. Even against the computer Homm isn't really a sit back and chill kind of game.
>>
>>329174224
eehhm, Endless Legend is a cheat, I mean it is technically sci-fi, but it's draped in fantasy nonsense
>>
File: Jesebeth.png (188 KB, 284x540) Image search: [Google]
Jesebeth.png
188 KB, 284x540
>>329168625
It was a cool spin off.
>>
>>329166115
King's Bounty series. It's my absolute favorite series.
>>
>>329166397
I recommend AoW3 as well. Same principles as HoMM, but better combat.
>>
>>329174847
Damn you suck at debating. So if a guy who plays driving sims can't beat a guy who plays a driving game on his phone in that game, just because he doesn't play it, that means that phone game is better? If a good Brood War players loses in League of Legends against some kids who played it for 10k hours, that that mean that Brood War and RTS in general is inferior to ASSFAGGOTs? No, it just means that people who play a game more are going to better at it.
Objectively speaking, HoMM is casual babby trash, deal with it.
>>
>>329175675
>but better combat.

I disagree about that, tactics skill in HOMM series and surrounding archers and good use of vampire lords (because of the way map works) was really fun for me.

I just started learning AoW3 so maybe I just don't know all the cool stuff like that in it yet and I'm missing out.
>>
>>329175787
But if it's casual and trash playing it for 10k hours won't mean a thing will it? Master genius like you and hardcore gamer should easily win or make it at least close right? Also what makes you believe that BW is superior to LoL? At least there is no blatant cheating in LOL. You sound very childish.
>>
File: 1414625366594.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1414625366594.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>329175358
>fantasy nonsense
>>
File: AoW3.jpg (187 KB, 1024x679) Image search: [Google]
AoW3.jpg
187 KB, 1024x679
>>329175879
>so maybe I just don't know all the cool stuff like that in it yet and I'm missing out
You are.
>>
>>329175879
Some of my favorite battles in AoW3 involve the use of some of the mid-tier units' special abilities.

I find that there are far more flexible units in AoW3 than in HoMM, and the counterattack-flanking-unit spellcasting system has way more depth in the former.

You still have to surround and protect archers, but if those archers get in trouble you can flank an enemy, move the archers away and reposition.
>>
>>329176493
"draped" like the top layer

those spacemarines have taticool crossbows. If there wasn't a heavy fantasy element, they'd be straight-up guns.
>>
>>329174414
I can't seem to get into Endless Legend as much. Every part of me wishes that the combat had a tiny bit more depth!

Everything else is ok.
>>
>>329175879
OK, real case in point. Play an archdruid. You have low tier spells (savage rage <- tier 1 druid spell) and unit abilities (awaken spirit <- shaman ability) that turn those pathetic tier 1 animals (wolves, boars, etc) into tier 2 units as far as damage is concerned.

Shamans and Druid heroes can charm animals (which have REALLY powerful units from Tier 1 to 4), so you're never without units that can use these spells.

Cast them on that fodder wolf in your party and use him to flank an enemy. You'll be surprised at the damage, and you gain hero experience (spell cast) with little risk taken.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.