[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck was this game's story so fucking awful?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5
File: PLvsPWAA_NA_boxart.png (1 MB, 1000x894) Image search: [Google]
PLvsPWAA_NA_boxart.png
1 MB, 1000x894
Why the fuck was this game's story so fucking awful?
>>
>>329101397
Infighting between Capcom and Level-5 about what should and shouldn't be in the game and not giving Takumi pretty much full control over the story fucked it up pretty hard.
>>
It was a Layton game guest starring AA, and Layton games always have awful stories.
>>
>>329101397
>trying to have any kind of logical flow with a Layton twist
It was doomed from the start. They should've done an Umineko or something and had it be about trying to prove that witches didn't do shit from step 1 and gradually revealed the truth through that.
>>
I also want to add to my first point and say they had no idea where the story was going in the first place. If you look at the very first trailer and compare it to the product we got, they made a lot of changes, meaning they didn't have everything a solid plan for the direction immediately, which is especially crucial for mysteries.

>>329101689
It was a bad story even for someone who likes Layton stories. I went into it expecting a Layton-esque twist, which I was totally fine with, but the whole story just fucking falls apart and implodes on itself in that last chapter.
>>
>>329102138
I think the most frustrating thing about the twist is that it still fails to explain a bunch of things. They added bullshit about robots in one of the bonus chapters to explain away the statue at the start, but there's never even a hint about how the witches were flying. It definitely feels like that cutscene at the very least was made long before the story was finished and they just didn't want to redo it so that it made more sense.
>>
>Black paint bends light around even the biggest of objects so that it appears to be invisible
I liked the game but holy fuck did the story annoy me
>>
>>329102324
Fuck, I forgot about the cutscenes in the beginning, I was just thinking about the reveal trailer. That's even worse.
>>
>Not hypnotizing actors into thinking they actually are from Medieval times using black paint to figure out what can cure your illness Illness

What part of this isn't plausible?
>>
>>329101397
Because it didn't end with a class-action lawsuit using the mass inquisitions in a modern setting.
>>
Can someone spoil the "twists" in this game please? Played about halfway through then got sick of it.
>>
>>329102438
Even then, I think the use of characters still manages to annoy me more. I get that Layton is supposed to solve everything all the time, but that's still no reason to essentially write Phoenix into irrelevancy. They could've at least had a few moments where Layton had 99% of it worked out, but Wright notices a major oversight that changes it all, but instead we just get Layton acting like he was expecting every single objection that gets thrown out in those last scenes.
Barnham disappearing for the final chapter sucked ass too, as did finally going up against Darklaw, only for her to fuck off again 10 minutes later.
>>
>>329103058
It's almost too stupid to summarise.
Have you played any of the other Layton games?
>>
>>329103190
No, just the PW games.
>>
I feel like the story would've been a lot better if they just stop trying to make everything work in reality and just had it end up being a dream or something. That's honestly how I thought the story was going to be when it was first announced.
>>
I enjoyed it alot
But the the ending reveal happened
Literally the dumbest fucking thing ive ever seen in a videogame
>>
>>329103457
Well I was going to say that it's a Layton twist turned up to 11

It's a fake town, everyone is hypnotised. There's a substance in the water that makes them fall unconscious whenever they hear silver being struck. The people "killed" in the trials become "shades", people working for the storyteller. Whenever magic needs to happen or they need to fix something, they ring silver bells to knock people unconscious and set it up. There's also a special ink in the pages of the story that gets handed out which makes everyone extremely susceptible to suggestion. They're all hypnotised in this way to not see a certain shade of black. The shades all wear cloaks of this colour and anything they need for magic is painted that colour too. Everyone living in the town agreed to be hypnotised in advance and it's all being run by a pharmaceutical company that the storyteller owns.

I actually can't remember the actual reason for this ridiculously elaborate set-up. A large silver bell was rung by accident whilst a fire was going on. That's what the great fire that killed everyone was. I know Espella was traumatised and thought she was responsible, but what that actually has to do with why they needed this dumb project in the first place, I don't remember.
>>
>>329103058
The storyteller is the owner of a chemicals company and the entire town is a controlled experiment in testing the hallucinogenic and mind controlling effects of the areas groundwater.
>>
The only real enjoyment I really got fom this game was feelings of nostalgia from seeing the Phoenix-Maya combo again.
>>
>>329102338
The black paint doesn't bend light, they were just conditioned to... ignore it.

Like, you know those images of girls in bikinis, but there's a bubble filter around it that covers exactly what the bikini does so your mind fills in the blanks and assumes she's naked underneath?

It's kinda like that. The black paint acts as their bubble filter. Their mind doesn't see through the paint, it just ignores it and fills in the blanks based on what's around it.
>>
>>329102720
This feels like that other professor layton game.
>>
>>329104821
That fact that the main twist isn't even original for the series might be the most irritating part of the story.
Like fuck, seriously, if you're going to write something batshit crazy, at least make it something completely different to what you've already done.
>>
File: 1436534543475.jpg (19 KB, 153x221) Image search: [Google]
1436534543475.jpg
19 KB, 153x221
>>329104986
So that's the ending? Holy fuck.
>>
>>329105143
It might as well be the story to Curious Village but with added fake magic for no real reason. It's really silly.
>>
>>329104229
Espella wasn't reaponsible, Darklaw was. But Darklaw was convinced Espella did it and Espella believes it was a witch, so their fathers used their experiment to create "the story" to protect both of their innocence.
>>
>>329101397
Instead of being a crossover, it was just a Layton game with Ace Attorney characters as guest cameos.
Level 5 should burn in hell for being such fucking hacks and raping the game with their obession for total creative control.
It's a prime example of how you DON'T make a crossover.
What a fucking garbage game.
>>
>>329105414
I remembered that part, but I couldn't remember why they had to come up with such a ridiculously complicated story. And then I remembered that there actually isn't a reason why, they just decided to use the entire town to perpetuate their elaborate lie rather than come up with something similar, or just completely suppress the memories using the suggestion.

The story is getting more and more dumb as I remember more of it. It didn't even give you the satisfaction of cornering a villain at the end, instead you just push the trauma from one innocent girl to another.
>>
>>329101397
Because it was a crossover
>>
>>329101538
There was so much bias towards Layton, they made Phoenix look dumber than ever before and made Layton a complete badass.
>>
>>329105808
You mean it isn't.
A crossover would mean 50/50 game.
What we have is 90% Layton game with 10% Ace Attorney.
>>
I dunno about you guys but the Storyteller's initial testimony was one of the best laughs I've ever gotten from vidya.
>>
>>329105695
Definitely a big mistake to play it if you're only an AA fan.
>>
>>329101689
The first 3 Layton games are pretty decent and the stupid twists are charming. Holy fuck did the quality of the series drop so much in the prequels.
>>
>>329105917
It's a big mistake to play it at all. I like both series and was incredibly disappointed in this game.
>>
HOW TO EXTREMELY FUCK UP AND MISS THE ENTIRE POINT OF WHAT A CROSSOVER IS: THE GAME

>>329105917
Not him but FORGIVE ME FOR EXPECTING SOME ACE ATTORNEY IN A GAME FUCKING CALLED ACE ATTORNEY VS LAYON
>>
>>329106008
The "VS" part didn't even happen until the very last case.
>>
>>329106063
Exactly. Everything about this entire game is false advertising and blatant fucking lies.
>>
>>329105878
I was too frustrated to be amused.
I still had some vain hope left that the final act might impress me or at least have a half decent twist and then they just rehashed the twist from the first three Layton games
>>
>>329105980
>It's a big mistake to play it at all.

Not him but that's pretty harsh. Even if the story was questionable, the game has a lot of other good points. Great OST, great art, puzzles are fun (even if they lean towards the easier side so newcomers from the AA side wouldn't be too frustrated) and the trials were as fun as usual and at least not outright annoying like stuff like watch the video again or Moe the clown.
>>
>>329106063
It didn't happen at all, Layton knew pretty much everything the whole time during that sequence and was just pretending to be against Phoenix so he could explain it all.
>>
This game constantly reminded me of that one Fate Stay Night X Tsukihime doujin where the Tsukihime cast just keeps shitting all over the FSN cast.
>>
>>329106175
Also Maya.
>>
>>329106175
A decent OST is the only one I agree with. The puzzles were almost all childishly simple and the trials suffered from "it's not time for that evidence yet" than any actual AA game. The multiple witnesses and interruption mechanics were completely pointless too, they just acted as different dialogue choices in a fancy new skin.
The characters are the only other thing the game had going for it and it dropped the ball on that account several times too, like writing Barnham out of the last case and not actually giving you a proper chance to square off against Darklaw.
>>
>>329101397

Crossovers always have awful fan fiction tier storylines.

You know it's true. Don't try to prove me wrong, you know you can't.
>>
>>329106468
>the trials suffered from "it's not time for that evidence yet" than any actual AA game
It suffered from MORE of that, I meant to say
>>
File: 1366839027112.jpg (409 KB, 783x515) Image search: [Google]
1366839027112.jpg
409 KB, 783x515
Man, the Layton games on 3ds have been kinda shit desu fampai. Artstyle is pretty much ruined, and the stories are terrible in their own ways.

I'm finishing up Azran Legacy. The puzzles are still quite good, but all the shallow as fuck locations are so forgettable, I forget why I'm playing in the first place.

I haven't played Vs. PW. What I hear about it has lowered my expectations enough that I'll probably enjoy it. Is the art fixed at all?
>>
>>329106493
At least this crossover actually resembles the two series though. Let's all spare a thought for the people who were looking forward to SMTxFE, those poor souls
>>
>>329106063
>A single case introduced Professor Layton elements
>It was a single piece of evidence in the first case
>It never happens again

>A single puzzle introduced Ace Attorney elements
>It was the last puzzle
>It was incredibly simple
>Despite this, it was completely scripted

>>329106540
I got stuck in a loop during the last case because of that six-man testimony having two contradictions, where you had to press and present in the right order or it would reset with no indication. I ended up objecting to the same contradiction like five times before I got the order I should have done it in.
>>
>>329106616
>Is the art fixed at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-gfqGQNuiY

See for yourself.
>>
>>329106616
It LOOKS better than the Layton 3DS games, but the story is somehow even more convoluted and stupid than the rest of the Layton games, despite it being a crossover with a series that is all about following logical progressions.
>>
>>329105868
>There was so much bias towards Layton, they made Phoenix look dumber than ever before and made Layton a complete badass.

People act like Phoenix always relied on Layton in this game. Phoenix solved the 1st and 3rd trial without Layton's help.
>>
It's a Layton game and Ace Attorney was clearly thrown in as an afterthought. Just another proof that Level5 are shit devs that can only rehash and milk existing shit and are incapable of writing a single good story.
Dark Cloud games, Rogue Galaxy, Ni No Kuni, Layton, they all have absolutely garbage story and very repetitive gameplay.

It's a pure distilled example of a Level 5 game down to it's every garbage flaw.
>>
>>329107176
>Just another proof that Level5 are shit devs that can only rehash and milk existing shit and are incapable of writing a single good story.

Shu Takumi was the main director and writer of the game. Even if Capcom and Level 5 had in fighting, he ultimately decided what was alright for the final game.
>>
>>329107145
And he does absolutely nothing of value in the last case. He just bumbles through the case until Layton shows up and delivers all the answers on a platter.

And whilst we're on the topic of the 1st case, that one doesn't make any sense either.
>this woman was doing something shady on boat
>and I just read an article about a jewel theft
>therefore, this woman is a jewel thief!
10/10 logic, Phoenix.
>>
At least the music was amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7czv7Ij3iM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYg0J2rE0Aw&index=5&list=RD9bmDa_bDJA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz0-xcOY_8c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HwF8WQcyy8

Also the ending to the second case had me legitimately horrified for a while until I realized 'Oh right, Nintendo game' and waited for her to turn out not to be dead after all
>>
>>329107289
>Shu Takumi was the main director and writer of the game. Even if Capcom and Level 5 had in fighting, he ultimately decided what was alright for the final game.
Except he didn't precisely due to Capcom and Level 5 fighting with eachother and ultimately Capcom told Level5 "fuck it, do whatever you want, we don't care anymore".
And so Level5 executives murdered the game.
Did you know Layton sells like shit in Japan and every game since the very first one sold worse than the last? That's why they decided to cancel Layton for good because they couldn't even milk it at all anymore.
>>
>>329107289
He was in charge of scenario design, he didn't write the final game. He's still credited as the director, but he hardly had anything to do with it by the end.
>>
>>329105878
I don't remember it. What was it?
>>
>>329107289
If Takumi actually had creative control then the game wouldn't be such a shitshow.
>>
>>329107176
Keep sucking Capcom dick
>>
File: 1410150540015.png (227 KB, 518x331) Image search: [Google]
1410150540015.png
227 KB, 518x331
>>329107521
>Did you know Layton sells like shit in Japan and every game since the very first one sold worse than the last?
Do japs hate puzzles or something? The Layton series is GOAT
>>
>>329107521
>>329107625
Fair enough.

>Did you know Layton sells like shit in Japan and every game since the very first one sold worse than the last? That's why they decided to cancel Layton for good because they couldn't even milk it at all anymore.

I mean I rather they end it, or at least take a break from the series for now, if that's the case.
>>
>>329107804
Nigger I played the first two Laytons for the puzzles but even those go full retard sometimes and when I heard the next game is the exact same premise and plot twist as the previous 2 I simply dropped the series.

I liked Dark Cloud as a kid but go back to it now and see how fucking dated and repetitive it is, go on. Only Dark Cloud 2 is bearable and just barely.

Ni No Kuni is the single worst JRPG I've played this entire generation. Worse even than Bravely Default which was plagued with the groundhog day bullshit but at least I could rush through it by turning off the encounters.

Rogue Galaxy is all style and no substance, the mechanics are shallow, the characters are walking cardboard cutouts, the plot is paper thin, BUT HEY IT HAS NICE CEL-SHADED GRAFIX SO IT'S GUD!!1!11

Stop.
>>
>>329107836
Layton hit its peak with the third game. 4 was completely forgettable and 5 and 6 were okay, I guess.
I want more Layton Brothers, preferably as something other than a mobile game this time around. Seeing a more adult orientated game in the same world was pretty interesting.
>>
>>329107401
>He just bumbles through the case until Layton shows up and delivers all the answers on a platter.

Phoenix does this a lot in general though. 2-4 had him and Edgeworth just trying to buy time for Gumshoe to help them out. It's not like bumbling through cases, for Phoenix to be helped out by someone else is new.

>>329107401
>10/10 logic, Phoenix.

I admit that was a big stretch. But Phoenix tends to bluff a lot in general.

Like I get the complaints. But Phoenix being treated like a butt monkey is a thing even in the Ace Attorney series. So it's not like this is new. Layton being the way he is, comes from his series.
>>
>>329107934
They said they're done with it, they rebooted it on iOS now with Layton 7 being a pretty much shameless Ace Attorney clone minus court parts.
>>
File: Best girl.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Best girl.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>Post YFW this scene
>>
Honestly, tons of prospective 3DS games have been shit, I dunno. It's been a console of dissapointments for me.
How did it go from Kid Icarus to something like FF explorers? Jesus, it makes me want to buy another DS.
>>
>>329107994
Why did you type so much? Dick sucker
>>
>>329108045
Phoenix becomes competent though and he never has someone else actually solve the case for him, not after 1-2. Even if someone has to bring in new evidence at the last second, Phoenix is the one that works out how to use it and turns the case around. In this though, Layton already knows every conclusion that Phoenix is going to draw. It's just stupid and means we completely miss the main point of the AA series, the Turnabouts that it's named after.
>>
>>329108060
>Layton 7
Layton 7 hasn't even come out though. You're referring to Layton Brothers which was about Layton's son with no referral to any brothers. Layton Brothers came out years before the series ended IIRC.
>>
>>329108060
What, the Layton Brothers game? That's not Layton 7 or a reboot, it's a spinoff. There IS a 7th main game coming though and you play as several different characters or something.
>>
Crossover fanfictions rarely make good stories.
>>
>>329108235
Zero Escape is like the only series that had a good transition to the 3DS. AA, Layton, Pokémon, tons of other shit weren't outright bad but some of the worst in their series.
>>
>>329108350
>>329108378
I see, my bad. I assumed that iOS AA Investigations ripoff game is the reboot of the series.
>>
>>329107521
I didn't believe a series burning out was even possible until Level 5 made an art of it. They release like 3 games in the span of a year then the sales start dropping like crazy and they immediately drop it. I don't know if it's even the companies fault or that Japanese are just that finnicky and hate sequels.

It's going to happen to Yokai Watch too.
>>
>>329108664
Layton Brothers is more like a linear visual novel than anything. The only way to fail is to stop playing. It actually has a far more interesting and better written story than any of the mainline Layton games though.
>>
>>329108712
>It's going to happen to Yokai Watch too.
That will never even take off in the west due to how "Japanesey" it is. Pokemon took off because it didn't reek of Japanese mythos and because the initial Pokemon were clearly based on actual animals/bugs/dinosaurs which gave them a sense of being rooted in reality.
Then Gen 3+ came and fucked it all up.
>>
>>329108832
I know, I played it and I liked it, but I just couldn't shake the "MAN, LAYTON GAMES BOMBED, SO LET'S RIPOFF OUR COMPETITOR" feeling.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.