[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is DEUS EX worth a preorder?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4
File: deus-ex-mankind-divided-ce.jpg (2 MB, 2168x1356) Image search: [Google]
deus-ex-mankind-divided-ce.jpg
2 MB, 2168x1356
After a full year of 50+ pirated games, this is the first vidya I'm actually thinking of buying and maybe preordering.
I'm obviously talking about the collector's edition, why would anyone preorder the standard edition of something?

The PC deluxe edition is around 120€, while a normal console game is usually 70€.
So it's basically 50€ for
>a 25cm statue
>extra missions
>three different armor/weapon sets (HR costume, stealth, combat)
>soundtrack as digital download
>digital artbook + digital novel + digital comic
>actual artbook
>limited steelbook

Do you think it's fair? Do you think it's worth it?
It would be the first physical PC game I buy since 10+ years ago
>>
>>329088917
No game is worth pre-ordering ever.
>>
>>329089015
Why?
>>
>>329089079
don't ever pre-order anything

ever
>>
>>329088917
>Do you think it's fair? Do you think it's worth it?

Fair? Maybe not. Worth it? Yes, undoubtedly. Considering what other collector editions give you, this has some nice stuff

>steelbook cover
>figurine
>artbook
>digital content

it's not too shabby
>>
>soundtrack sampler
Remember when they'd actually give you the full thing?
>>
>>329088917
You won't be able to pirate the game anyway, because of DENUVO
>>
File: What a shame.jpg (104 KB, 827x546) Image search: [Google]
What a shame.jpg
104 KB, 827x546
>>329089067
But if I don't preorder it, they won't send the copy in time and I won't be playing it on day one. Also, it's actually limited.
The question here isn't "are preorders a nice thing ?"

It's "Do you think the price is worth it?"

>>329089162
read
>>329089079

>>329089368
>You won't be able to pirate the game anyway
But anon, I already completed some Denuvo pirated games.
This time it's different, because I actually want to support them.

>>329089357
Good thing we have torrents
>>
>>329089642
>Do you think the price is worth it?
no

and never pre-order
>>
>>329089797
>no
Why?
>and never pre-order
read
>>329089079
>>
>>329089642
>But if I don't preorder it, they won't send the copy in time and I won't be playing it on day one.
It's not like the predecessor was that great that you'd have to play it day one. It was "better than expected", but still not as good as the original. I very much doubt that this is going to change with their new release.
>>
>>329089894
Because only retards pre-order stuff. You don't pay for something in advance that may as well turn out to be shit.

If it's a small-time kickstarter project which you absolutely want and where you're certain that it won't be made with your input, you might as well hand them your money in advance, but a big publisher does not need your money, so don't give it to them.
>>
If you are going to buy it day one there is literally no reason to not pre-order for free shit. You can always cancel the pre-order anyway if the need arises.
>>
>>329089797
>not preordering
Because listening to bitter biased shitters and gaming reviews is much better, amirite?
>>
>>329090498
no, you are, as always, wrong

never preorder, always wait, do proper homework

don't be stupid for once in your life
>>
Why on earth would you consider pre-ordering a Squenix game after what happened to Hitman, not to mention the game got a six month delay. You should not go anywhere near this game until at least a week after launch.
>>
>>329090862
This.
>>
>>329090862
correct
>>
>>329089932
>It's not like the predecessor was that great that you'd have to play it day one

Yes it was.
It was completely different than everything else at that time, especially considering that very genre. It's the reason I played the first Deus Ex and loved it.
I built a 2500$ rig for it. I pirated everything possible from that franchise and it's still the series that offered the most to me in the last two years.
It's not a question anon, I'm going to play the shit out of it on day one, and I'm going to fully support the devs this time.

>I very much doubt that this is going to change with their new release
They have both money and time now. Something they lacked in both DX and HR, and the result is shorter games with a lot of cuts and rushed endings.

>>329090083
>Because only retards pre-order stuff
Not an argument.

> You don't pay for something in advance that may as well turn out to be shit.
Deus Ex? From the HR team? With actual budget?
Sure thing nigger.

>a big publisher does not need your money
But I need it on day one. And I need the series to stay alive. So, we both want something here

>>329090217
>there is literally no reason to not pre-order for free shit
Except playing it on day one?
And actually getting the cool statue and everything, you know
>>
>>329090980
>But I need it on day one
no you don't
>>
>>329088917
All of that in game shit is in the regular edition too.
>>
>>329090724
Preodering is always based on research beforehand.

For example, I have both Odin Sphere L and Trillion preordered because I know there is no chance of them being disappointing.
>>
>>329088917
>augment your preorder

no, fuck them for ever trying that
buy this shit used or pirate it
>>
>>329090980
>Yes it was.
I disagree there. I found it okay, but lacking in many regards. Mandatory boss battles, not open enough when it came to applying skills/abilities; absence of skills, the plot being ill-fitting for an RPG-like game, e.g. forcing a romantic interest upon the player, etc. etc.

>It's not a question anon, I'm going to play the shit out of it on day one, and I'm going to fully support the devs this time.
Support them after they've delivered then.
>>
File: 1428441306860.png (426 KB, 600x630) Image search: [Google]
1428441306860.png
426 KB, 600x630
leak when?
>>
>>329089642
>he thinks modern games are in playable shape on day1
>>
If you preorder it just make sure you keep up with the news regarding the game. Since SE is publishing it there's a pretty high chance of them pulling some stupid bullshit before the game comes out.
>>
>>329091253
>forcing a romantic interest?
You mean Meghan? Who turned out to not actually be in love with Jensen? Or Malik? Where there were small implications but nothing explicit?
>>
>>329090980
>Deus Ex? From the HR team? With actual budget?
Yes.

People seem to think the having a budget means that devs can do what they want, but if there is anything which the history of video games teaches us is that budget doesn't buy you freedom but that it usually comes with obligations. The people who hand the devs that budget are not patrons of the arts, who want them to make a good game, they want them to make a profitable game. And good is not a pre-requisite for profitable.
>>
>a fancy case for optical media you'll never use
>a statue that will look nothing like the picture that will just end up in a shoebox in your closet
>a small art book full of concept art so you can admire how the finished game looks nothing like it
>useless items packs that are obsolete after the first 30 minutes of the game
>an extra sewer mission
>not even the whole soundtrack
>pdfs with low res images

Take advice from people who have ordered these stupid things and got burned, don't let the cycle of shitty CEs continue.
>>
>>329091418
>You mean Meghan?
Of course.

Paul in Deus Ex 1 served a similar role, and that was already not a very good decision.
>>
>€
Could you translate that into burgerbucks? I don't know what third world currency is valued at
>>
>>329088917
> Should I buy this game that's not out yet and no one has played.

What the fuck do you think?
>>
>>329091534
>>
File: 1396728857116.jpg (236 KB, 974x2200) Image search: [Google]
1396728857116.jpg
236 KB, 974x2200
>>329088917
>>
>>329091065
>no you don't
But I will do it regardless.

>>329091069
I'm mostly interested in the extra mission, the armor sets and the statue; excluding the action figure, are all the other shit in the standard version too?
Are you sure they don't want you to preorder or else they'll cut the content for you?

>>329091226
read the thread

>>329091253
>I disagree there
I'm ok with that. Good thing you're not me.
>Support them after they've delivered then
Why?
There's no way the game will disappoint me. The thread was more about the price...

>>329091380
On a 980ti rig? I have yet to see performance problems
even in games with terrible performance

>there's a pretty high chance of them pulling some stupid bullshit before the game comes out
There was already a 6 months delay, I don't think they'll be able to do worse

>>329091428
>Yes.
I disagree, anon.

>budget doesn't buy you freedom but that it usually comes with obligations
Sure. But they already delayed it. They lost a fucking important place in the market, leaving a hole in a period with no important games (a release in february would have been pretty profitable).

>good is not a pre-requisite for profitable
For a Deus Ex game, it is.

>>329091483
I'm a sucker for art so the artwork would pre still nice.
I'm a DX fan so a statue would be rad.
>low res
Anon even the Os X version of HR had hig res artbooks

But thanks, at least you actually have a real opinion
>>
>>329092117
>There's no way the game will disappoint me.
The history of video games is the history of disappointments.
>>
>>329092117
Look you shitlord, you obviously want this waste of money so just buy it and stop trying to get /v/ to agree its a good idea.
>>
>>329092117
>they already delayed it.
That's not up to them. It's up to the people who pay them.

>For a Deus Ex game, it is.
No, not really.
>>
>>329091534
Game is 119€.
It's 130$.

But if you want to buy it in murrica, it's somehow 140$.
>>
>>329092117
All the original "augment your pre-order" stuff is "free" for everybody that pre-orders any version of the game. What I meant was that it wasn't exclusive to the collector's edition pre-order, but rather all pre-orders.
>>
>>329092117
just go do whatever your dumb fucking moron ass wants

stop wasting our time with your bullshit
>>
>>329092323
This.

If OP wants to be a retard, he's free to waste his money. I don't know why he wants /v/'s approval.
>>
>>329092117
>I'm mostly interested in the extra mission

did you already forget the shitty 5 minute sewer 'extra mission' in HR?
>>
>>329092197
>The history of video games is the history of disappointments
Sure thing.
But I really can't tell how a game like this could ever disappoint me.

>>329092323
>you obviously want this waste of money
The game?
Yup. The collector? Maybe not, that's why I made the thread

>>329092326
>No, not really.
Yeah, The Fall was so profitable, right? Basically the whole reason they made MD

>>329092359
>for everybody that pre-orders any version of the game
But I won't preorder the standard game.
It's just stupid. I would just buy it from Steam.
The preorder is just something you have to deal with if you want the nice stuff

>>329092556
>did you already forget the shitty 5 minute sewer 'extra mission' in HR?

Yes. What's about that?
I pirated the game so I had everything by default.
>>
>>329092117
You need to keep in mind that the extra content in DE:HR was absolute dog shit.
>>
>>329092837
What was the extra content about?
>>
>>329092917
If I remember correctly is was a double barrel shotgun and a sniper or something. They weren't very good weapons, had terrible models, and weren't up-gradable.
>>
>pre-ordering
>buying Collection shit

Cancer.
>>
>>329093103
Trying too hard now.
>>
>>329092772
>But I really can't tell how a game like this could ever disappoint me.
You will be able to when it does.
>>
>>329093230
Sure thing anon.
Btw, I'm sorry you aren't able to enjoy games anymore.
>>
>>329091269

BIX NOOD
>>
>>329093316
I am well able to enjoy games, I'm unable to enjoy wasting my money - and having spent more than two decades of my life playing video games, I know fairly well what to expect from this industry by now.

I don't see a problem with waiting a week or two; it's not like I have that much time on my hands anyway.
>>
>>329093728
>I am well able to enjoy games, I'm unable to enjoy wasting my money
Me too, anon. And that's why, as I said, I pirated more than 50 games in the last year alone.

>it's not like I have that much time on my hands anyway
Did you realize we are different beings?
I won't have shit to do in august, I'm sorry you'll be working on in vacation or whatever.
>>
>>329093915
Even if I didn't have shit to do, and I always have shit to do in my line of work, I wouldn't be all too eager to throw away my money. It's a matter of principle. It would severely pain me to reward people for delivering shit.
>>
>>329088917
Nope
>>
>>329094072
>It would severely pain me to reward people for delivering shit

To me, it would be more like rewarding them for the other games I pirated, the book, the soundtrack, the comic and so on

all of that while keeping the franchise alive
>>
>>329094527
I can only repeat what I wrote before: reward them after they've delivered, not before.
>>
>>329094920
But they already delivered many months of free quality entertainment...
>>
>>329095049
Different games. If you liked those, go buy those. Don't buy a future product that might as well be shit.

If you reward them for a shit game then they'll think the shit game was actually good and their next game will be shit too. Reward them for the game you actually liked.

In any case, if you do want to waste your money: be my guest, it's your own money after all and it's not my business to tell anyone what to do with his money. I will however continue to call people out for being retards who spend their money foolishly.
>>
>>329095373

pre-order =/= review score

There's a difference between hype presentation and actual product. case-in-point Rage
>>
>>329095373
>If you liked those, go buy those.

Sure, I got the first Deus Ex for 1.70€.
I don't feel like I actually awarded the creators, or the creators of the next game, or even helped the franchise to stay alive.
I just felt like I gifted 1€ to Square, and it's a shitty feeling.

If I give them money around day one (and if it's 120€ instead of 1€), at least I know I could be among those who will made a difference when Sqare will ask themselves if a new Deus Ex game is a good idea.

>Don't buy a future product that might as well be shit
As I already said, I literally can't see how. Maybe it will be shit to you, maybe it has great possibilities of being a crappy game to your tastes, but I personally, legitimately can't see how the game can disappoint me.

>if you do want to waste your money
Wasting money =/= supporting a franchise, anon
>>
>>329092837

More importantly, it was sold later as DLC.

No in-game content is ever preorder-only.

There's no rational reason to preorder a game unless, like OP, you're a child who needs to "play it on day one."
>>
>>329096682
And actually get the statue and shiny stuff.
>>
DXMD is gona be great. Buy the preorder anon. I am.

And all niggers who denounce HR and MD should be lynched
>>
>>329098171
>denounce HR

Frankly, I regret not preordering HR. I held out until their was enough legit, not-handheld-by-the-devs gameplay footage/reviews out to feel confident about it.

That said, it had its weak points, which usually had something to do with rushed production.

I'm concerned about a game with MD's themes being made in the current media/thought climate, though. HR wasn't quite preachy, but I'm not sure MD's going to be able to avoid it.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.