[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where did the jungle go?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: latest[1].jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Where did the jungle go?
>>
A dragon did it
no seriously its canon
>>
>>324280786
Transcription error
>>
removed catbab
>>
>>324280786
There wasn't one. That would've been stupid.
>>
Imperial City is pretty cool desu
>>
>tfw no city built on a lake in the middle of a dungeon ala Tenochitlan cus bethesda is a buncha fucks
>>
In-Universe, Tiber Septim literally willed it out of existence because living in a jungle is troublesome.

The truth, of course, is that Elder Scrolls has really interesting regions until the moment when you actually set foot on them and they're all dilluted as all hell in mediocrity.

Remember the Skyrim vampire races that could phase through ice and grab you from the bottom of frozen lakes? Yes
>>
>>324280997
whole fucking series is transcription error
>>
>>324282187
This. The truth is a simple one.

The lore for Elder Scrolls is incredible and fantastical. The games are anything but. They are very technical, limited, and mediocre due to engine limitations. Even getting Dragons to work like they do must've been a herculean effort by Beth.

The simple truth is: The fellas that write the lore were too creative for their own good and beth's shitty engine devs simply cannot answer their demands, so shit has to be retconned.
>>
>>324280786
>You have suffered for me to win this throne, and I see how you hate jungle. Let me show you the power of Talos Stormcrown, born of the North, where my breath is long winter. I breathe now, in royalty, and reshape this land which is mine. I do this for you, Red Legions, for I love you.
>>
Limits in technology.
>>
File: SadSkeleton.jpg (32 KB, 288x333) Image search: [Google]
SadSkeleton.jpg
32 KB, 288x333
>>324282610
This is the sad, sad truth.
>>
>>324282610
And this is why I abandoned my quest to become a lorefag
>>
>>324282610
One can even argue that the lore is TOO fantastical, and considering the things that Krazy Koot Kirkbride writes, one would have a pretty good case to make.

C0DA itself is absolutely insane, like an intellectual version of My Immortal.
>>
File: 45960-1-1425694918.jpg (422 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
45960-1-1425694918.jpg
422 KB, 1920x1080
Over here.

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/45960/?
>>
>>324282935
I thought C0DA was non-canon.
>>
File: Dawmstarmain.png (2 MB, 1087x900) Image search: [Google]
Dawmstarmain.png
2 MB, 1087x900
>the size of Dawnstar is described by lore to big enough to host the entire Imperial Navy
>Skyrim gets released
>get to Dawnstar
>mfw
>>
>>324283518
C0DA isn't stricly canon, but Elder Scrolls metaphysics are so fluid that it might very well be. That's what you get when your entire setting is a mutant dreamscape with very little constants.
>>
>>324283573
It's like Pokemon towns except Bethesda doesn't have the excuse of technological limits for their being scaled down.
>>
>>324283573
>Go to Dawnstar in Daggerfall
>The exact same house pasted 200 times
wow so much immersion very lore
wow
>>
>>324283874
Oh wow, a stupid faggot using stupid faggot memes as an argument? There's something I totally haven't seen a million times?
>>
>>324283573
To be fair, Skyrim probably would retcon the Imperial Navy as being one ship and three canoes, and the massive Tamrielic Fleet that spearheaded the landing at Akavir as an overwhelming THREE ships and FOUR canoes.
>>
>>324283874
You'd think that 15 years of development would have increased the copy pasting instead of reducing it to only copy paste 10 houses.
>>
>>324280786
Chim.
>>
>>324282935
>One can even argue that the lore is TOO fantastical
Yeah but I fucking love it. TES is to my knowledge, the only fantasy sword & sorc setting with an insane, time traveling, elf-genociding terminator and it somehow works.
>>
>>324282935
It IS too fantastical. Almost everything in Elder Scrolls is very abstract and imaginative, it can really look like anything.

Metaphysics, the inner workings of the universe, the mythos, it's all so very bizzare and sometimes morbid. Yet it's also fascinating, it can captivate the imagination

Luckily, Morrowind was a bizzare game in and of itself, which perfectly aligned itself with the absurd of the universe. Whatever flaws it had were easily forgiven due to the incredible leap it made and how unique and wicked it was. Though truth be told many games back in the late 90's/early 2000's share this bizzaro theme. LoK, Fallout and PlaneScape come to mind.

Then Oblivion came, and it was like a smack in the face,
> "Oh you like outlandish and mysterious themes? Haha too bad for you! Here, have generic european medieval fantasy!!"
It was like... Uhh wut??

Oblivion wasn't a bad game, but it was just so... Not Elder Scrolls. It was as unimaginative as it gets, so much that even it's knockoff bootleg (Two Worlds) managed to be more creative and interesting.

Rant over.
>>
>>324283518
I've always considered Elder Scrolls lore to be somewhat open-source.
>>
After playing around a lot with a Time Stop mod in Skyrim it made me wonder, is Time Stop magic canon? I mean, the Monks of the Psijic Order seem to use a variant of it.
>>
>>324285390
Yes it's canon. The Dragonborn has a Za Warudo shout.

It's pretty much top tier magic though.
>>
File: 1446734260884.png (242 KB, 604x438) Image search: [Google]
1446734260884.png
242 KB, 604x438
>>324284329
well CHIM'd, my friend
>>
>>324282610

As shit as bethesda has become, at the very least they still try to follow Kirkbrides logic. If they fuck it up they just pull one of the many insane things he thought of.

EoS is an example of not acknowledging kirkbride.
>>
>>324283874
>using memes for arguments
Daggerfall had around the same amount of variety in housing then Shitrim. Just because the graphics were limited and everything was more box-like doesn't give you the excuse not to be able to tell the difference between houses.
>>
>>324287971

I should also add that the last Skyrim expansion was Kirkbride as fuck.

The first dragonborn fag sucking Moras billion dicks to learn how fucking mantle the most primitive and abstract portions of the god mind, something your surface tier elderscrolls fag can't comprehend.

A reminder that the majority of elder scrolls fags still think Dwemer disapearing is a "mystery", hence the dozens of retarded "return of the dwemer" mods.
>>
>>324283874
>Dawnstar
>Daggerfall

u wot

Dawnstar would have been in Arena, and both Arena and Daggerfall were heavy on the procedural generation. That said, don't create some sort of false dichotomy. Being larger than a tiny fishing village (pretty much the same size as Khuul from Morrowind no less) does not mean it has to be 200 houses of procedurally generated crap. Expecting a moderately detailed medium-large city is not unreasonable. But we're talking about a game where the capital city has 11 houses...
>>
>>324288595

Skyrim was open world yet had instanced cities, I don't understand why they couldn't have made a big overworld city using various tricks to make it look larger without having to generate all the inner workings. Then when you're in the instances version the complete city could be present.
>>
>>324285032
If you look into all TES games you will see that Morrowind setting was the outlier not the other way around.

But never let facts get in the way of a good argument eh?
>>
>>324288968
That, or something more simple like not making the ENTIRE cities visitable but instead only giving you access to areas handwaved as being "the most important ones", residential, government sectors, and so forth. It's not like it's any more immersion breaking than the shining jewel capital city of the continent-spanning Empire being roughly the size of a large stadium
>>
>>324280786
Uncle Tiberius just shouted at it until the jungle went away.
In truth, Todd was just scared that a wider audience would think that Romans in a tropical jungle would be too weird, so he made it as unoffensive as possible.
>>
>>324288387
It is still a mystery.
C0DA got put in the fanfic section of the Beth forum for a reason.

Mostly because its fans are insufferable cunts.
>>
>>324282187
"'You have suffered for me to win this throne, and I see how you hate jungle. Let me show you the power of Talos Stormcrown, born of the North, where my breath is long winter. I breathe now, in royalty, and reshape this land which is mine. I do this for you, Red Legions, for I love you.'"

-From the Many-Headed Talos
>>
>>324289327

Nope, the Dwemer as essential to the canon affects of numidians activation.

Without that the robot just breaks time for no reason.

If Bethesda wasn't still using C0DA then the first Dragon Born's plans wouldn't make sense.
>>
>But we're talking about a game where the capital city has 11 houses...
really?
so it is smaller than Balmora, Pelagiad, tons of cities from Oblivon etc. ?
>>
Tiber Septim shouted it away
>>
>>324289069
That has literally nothing to do with what he said.
>>
>>324289558
The Dwemers fate is only important to C0DA.
>>
>>324282935
Look you can skimp on some of the more hidden shit. Like for example make the vampire stuff only in a frozen pool somewhere in a corner, then you least you acknowledge what youve made. But just cutting it out completely is fucking retarded. Look at vietcong, its a simple shooter in vietnam, does it look pretty, not really. But hell at least you feel like youre in a jungle. They could have done that with TESIV.

Also betheseda is just fucking lazy. Things like no spears just screams laziness. And they dont even have to skimp on this shit. It is not like they are a first time developer that is eating plain noodles since it is their first release and dont have any money left over. Hell they even had a moment everyone were allowed to design their own little addons to the game and they had brilliant shit. Like for example one guy making it possible to make shouts by screaming at your kinect. But no that didnt get put into the final game.
>>
>>324290345
Re read his post then re read mine.
>>
>>324290398
the argument is retarded because crysis was doing a beautiful jungle around the same time and we expect much less from a TES game graphically.

it was simple mass market appeal. thats it. generic fantasy-land is more marketable than unique jungle.
>>
>>324283131
>crysis trees
>>
>>324290597
He's not talking about the setting of Morrowind being the basis for all TES.
He said the setting of Morrowind fit the more metaphysical parts of the TES lore.
>>
>>324280786
Talos used the power of CHIM to make Cyrodiil more habitable for his people because he Loved them
>>
>>324290352

No, it's important to the Numidium, which was ACTUALLY used in daggerfall and not just some thing you can pretend doesn't exist like The robot paladin or Argonian math ships.

The bronze god causes dragonbreaks, those dragon reaks affected later Elder Scrolls games.

For the Numidium to cause Dragon Breaks, it needs to be infuseed it with the essence of doubt so that Akatosh doubts himself whenever it is activated.

Without this essential plot point of the Dwemer becoming the Nimidums skin, there is no reason why the Numidium would fuck up time.
>>
>>324280786
Retkonned by Kirkbride after release by a deus ex machinae process to save Beth ass. Beth was incompetent and the technical limitations would have made any attempt hard as fuck. So they went the super easy way and let Kirkbride spout a super shitty excuse to cover their asses
>>
>>324282610
It's strange how all the good lore starts from the time of redguard and after daggerfall. So back when they weren't actually making proper TES games.
>>
>>324290809
Don't forget the Eye of Magnus being a time-displaced mining ship that becomes the Queen of the Thalmor in Elder Scrolls Online
>>
>>324291045

Wasn't it already a time-displaced mining ship in Skyrim?
>>
>>324290598
Crysis was a top of the line that didnt have to handle a lot of shit that is required in an RPG. I was mentioning it because I meant that limitations werent a factor, just developer (or marketing as you suggest) laziness.

>hey Todd we could make this awesome jungle with in the middle a city of golden bridges and fantastical buildings
>Hmm sounds like a lot of work lets just make a generic fantasy landscape/that isnt marketable lets just go for tolkien
>>
Honestly, if I was in an executive or if I had an important position inside Bethesda, I would respectfully tell the team to not push the graphics, but rather use the technology to make the game as immersive and respectful to the lore as I can.

Sure, programming and modeling some of the crazy shit that are inside the lore would be a pain in the ass, but you can allocate the resources to those areas instead of trying to get cool graphics so that the kids are pleased. If they somehow are able to make a world as big as the one in Just Cause 2, while being as athmospheric as Morrowind they could easily win most of the GOTY awards (hell, even GOT Decade). The game could have as bland of a gameplay as Skyrim, and still be great because of the world.

I don't know what data they use to keep trying to put more graphical detail into the game, but I think that it's completely stupid and useless.
>>
>>324290809
What source says it "Has to be infused with the essence of doubt."?

Bet it rhymes with Yoda.
>>
>>324288387
Why did the Dwemer disappear? I remember reading something once which was quite interesting but I can't remember it now
>>
>>324291264
But there isnt even graphical updates. The textures are as complex as those in oblivion and the mapping for example is terrible. Let alone bugs/quirks you find in 5 minutes (like giants shooting you off in space) werent fixed in testing. And kids will also love a jungle. The game is easy to play, you can do various things and explore all kinds of fun places. And whether it is a fort on the mountain or a fort in the jungle, that doesnt matter. Hell a very outlandish place would still work.
>>
>>324291264
Just Cause 2 could be made so much more immersive but all those little towns, their is nothing to do there. No shops to buy things, no clothes to buy, no history of the villages. Just a name and copy pasted buildings.
>>
>>324291608
Because Kagrenac messed up his tonal architecture magic.
>>
>>324291139
I didn't say or imply they should have been doing anything close to Crysis.

I did say that making a jungle was not "unachieveable" or even challenging at that time. There were games with rich jungle environments before, and at the same time as its release.

They simply chose not to because generic Arnor LOTR is recognizable for plebs.
>>
>>324282610
Morrowind did a decent enough job at establishing a strange alien world.
>>
>>324291624
>>324291625
As I see it, Beth tries to make excuses by saying: 'We know the game is buggy as fuck, but hey, look at these cool graphics'.
So, if you cut the graphics and spend all the money and effort to make the world/athmosphere elements of the game better, you would probably get a better product.

Also, why the fuck doesn't Bethesda hire the best modders into their team? Valve did that with the people working on CS when it was a simple HL mod and I'm pretty sure that worked great.
>>
>>324289210
I don't get it the cities in oblivion where a good size. The imperial city felt large enough. Sure it wasn't massive but it was bigger than anything in skyrim and felt like a city.
>>
>>324291291

Ok, in Daggerfall when the Numidium is activated Dragonbreak occurs. This actually happens in the game.

Kirkbride's lore said this is due to a certian factor of the Numidium.

>>324291608

The Dwemer felt that the TeS universe was bullshit because they proved through using science that the universe was inconsistent, illogical and could be tricked.

They attempted to escape this reality by using an artificial god using the Heart of Lorkhan, they fucked it up and rather than truly ascend to this new reality they wanted they simply became the skin of the bronze god.

Because the Dwemer were the ultimate fedora tippers of the TeS universe they embodied the essence of doubt.

Whenever the numdian was activated, it litterally became the God of athiesm which reminded Akatosh, god of time, that he and the universe are a lie.

When this happens, time as a concept dies. A dragon break occurs.
>>
>>324292196
>>Also, why the fuck doesn't Bethesda hire the best modders into their team? Valve did that with the people working on CS when it was a simple HL mod and I'm pretty sure that worked great.
they had an inhouse idea gathering moment. Every employee would try to make their own mod and they showed it off. Like a brainstorm session where you also make it. However they didnt bother putting it in because fuck effort.

Also when does beth try to excuse their bugs with graphics? They are terrible.
>>
>>324291608
Long story short:
Kagrenac invented a few tools to harmonize all the dwemer together with the heart of lorkhan, a dead god's heart.

Depending on who you ask, it either worked tremendously or didn't work at all.
>>
>>324292196
Because Bethesda is nepotistic as hell, competency is worthy far less than seniority
>>
>>324292572
>Every employee would try to make their own mod and they showed it off. Like a brainstorm session where you also make it. However they didnt bother putting it in because fuck effort.
carriage mods for skyrim (which completely change the game up if you disable fast traveling) were a product of developers mods.

its not like a massive overhaul FREE EXPANSION PACKS WUZ U SAYIN WE GET FREE GAMEZ? but its a very critical piece of the puzzle if you aim to make skyrim a more challenging and RPG oriented experience.
>>
>>324292491
>they simply became the skin of the bronze god.
when or where is this?
>>
>>324292856
Really?
I belive you because why not and their results show that they are very inoperative, but do you have any example?
>>
>>324292872
It is a C0DA thing.
Lorewise it is still a mystery.
>>
>>324292872
http://www.imperial-library.info/content/final-report-trebonius
>>
File: MKirkbride.jpg (5 KB, 180x120) Image search: [Google]
MKirkbride.jpg
5 KB, 180x120
Why doesn't Beth rehire Kirkbride, as far as Lore goes Skyrim felt underwhelming, at least with Kirkbride we'll have a good story even if the mechanics are shit.
>>
>>324293812
Because he's insane
>>
>>324290809
>Argonian math ships
That sounds fun, what are those?
>>
>>324293812
because he's completely nuts, anon
>>
"We want the Lord of the Rings audience"
>>
File: MK.jpg (325 KB, 682x5000) Image search: [Google]
MK.jpg
325 KB, 682x5000
>>324293812
MK isn't allowed his drugs at Bethesda offices
>>
File: 1442073987327.jpg (19 KB, 364x329) Image search: [Google]
1442073987327.jpg
19 KB, 364x329
>>324289503
>HATE JUNGLE
>>
>>324293878
>>324294052
exactly what beth needs.
>>
>>324293249
Same people worked there for years and still no signs of any improvement in skills. They still make the same spaghetti codes and bugs for the games. And they still can't use other engines or learn actually how to optimze the same frankenstein engine they've been using for more than a decade.

FFS, they still haven't learned how to do fucking proper UV mapping for textures.
>>
>>324293954

In the future, like near the tail end of the kalpa (the lifespan of a universe before it's died and remade) the Argonians fight dragons in space ships with weapons that fire math at them.
>>
>>324294365
lmao 420 bro
>>
>>324293812
I believe he works at TellTale now.
That is one of the reasons he is not shitting on ESO anymore(in public anyway).

If they bring him back all he will add is the further adventures of Vivec.Not the Morrowind V but the mesianic zen spaceman V so not only no fuck no.
>>
>>324293812
Hire Trainwiz instead
>>
>>324293878
>>324294052
Implying that's bad we have had enough down to earth, realism seeking RPG's we need something nuts atm, so that there is breth of fresh air in stories.
>>324294365
They should build him a man cave for him to write and provide him with whatever he wants.

TES games have always been about lore and if it goes away from it, it will be a boring bland series that too without any mechanics.

FO4 was an attempt to casualise FO games and I don't want TES games stripped of their lore.
>>
>>324294849
If he brings Vivec to one of the remaining countries that haven't had a mainline title focus on it, I don't care if he sticks Vivec in another pagoda. I just want someone to make the world alien again. (not morrowind alien, but however alien to our world the country should be)
>>
>>324282610
This is true, unfortunately.

That said, Skyrim did a kind of neat job at bringing back some Daggerfall-era lore. Skyrim was still somewhat generic, but nowhere near as much as Oblivion.
>>
File: CHIM.gif (627 KB, 301x398) Image search: [Google]
CHIM.gif
627 KB, 301x398
>>324294967
Why not both?
>>
>>324295369
Costs less and still gets you the full benefits
>>
>>324280786
http://www.pcgamer.com/bethesdas-todd-howard-oblivion-sacrificed-what-made-morrowind-special/
>>
>>324283518
Canon doesn't really exist in the Elder Scrolls
>>
>>324280934

The dragonbreak was a great one time only way to resolve the various endings of Daggerfall. Spitting it out every time some dumbass decides to fuck with canon just degrades the series. Especially when they decided to fuck with canon because someone got a hardon for the LOTR movies.
>>
>>324283131
>http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/45960/?

A bandaid on a gangrenous tumor.
>>
>>324294967
>>324295369
>>324295462
He's too busy working on Nanomeme
>>
>>324295604
then you better not be using console commands or savescumming.
>>
>>324283573
>>324280786
Anyone happen to know if Skyrim has a mod like Better Cities in Oblivion? I loved how that mod added so many more buildings that it made the cities actually feel like cities.
>>
>>324295774
>look at that link
>see a ton of other crazy shit that came out only like one or two years ago
Why is it that all the crazy cool stuff comes out when everyone's moved on to the newest game?
>>
>>324288387
this, the dragonborn was a good expansion both in terms of lore and extra content, Miraak was a great antagonist, and the whole mantling the maker thing being actually included in them main storyline is remarkable

actually both expansions were good
>>
>>324295547
I believe it was shortly after did his cartoon about destroying Lore and Canon that C0DA got moved to the fanfic section.

That did not go as planned I bet.
>>
>>324296162
The Soul Cairn shit was actually pretty cool, albeit a bit empty
Shame you couldn't really explore Apocrypha, but I guess that was the point
>>
>>324295794
you know he'd drop that in a heartbeat to work on TES6
>>
>>324294967

No.

Put Trainwiz in charge, with the caveat that he can't have trains being metaphysical Kirkbridey shit.
>>
>>324296371
yeah the ideal masters and the soul cairn were interesting, and are both something that was only touched upon in battlespire, which no one played

but the whole thing with Miraak and the religion of the solstheim nords (cant remember what they called themselves, been a while since I played skyrim) and mantling the Aka-Tusk was both interesting and convoluted just enough that it actually makes you pay attention without being too frustrating
>>
>>324294967
This shit right here.

Trainwiz, as far as I'm concerned, is the REAL god of TES, not Bethesda. A magnificent modder of magical measurements.
>>
>>324296687
He wouldn't. He's convinced his indie game will be better than TES.
>>
>>324297206
>wanting a train fetishist working on the lore
>>
>>324297697
>implying Kirkbride the tranny and elf fetishist was any better
>>
>>324297821
It is
>>
>IMPERIAL CITY
>3 houses and a garden

I'm guessing Tamriel's population is 7000 people?
>>
>>324297821
>tfw we all entered Kirkbride's magical realm and loved it
>>
>>324297697
trainwiz is way better at turning kirkbride's incoherent style ramblings into coherent playable things
>>
>>324284081
That's probably why they keep losing.
>>
>>324298123
Mks stuff is always better with a filter.

Thank the Nine Ken Kuhlman can translate MKs stuff into something usable.
>>
File: TES time line.jpg (146 KB, 1363x473) Image search: [Google]
TES time line.jpg
146 KB, 1363x473
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalpa_(aeon)

Kirkbride could have shifted the stories across many parallel universes or consequent universes.

The idea of Kalpa emerges from Hindu mythology which believes universe is not infinite but is destroyed and created after a Kalpa, selection of Universe's physics is like a slot machine.
>>
>>324299282
No, Kuhlman never translated, he made his own stuff up. Apparently he's even more insane than Kirkbride but he's able to hide it better and make it more accessible. That's why he's still working for them
>>
>>324297697
You have to choose: Do you want the story jerking off Vivec, or jerking off Sotha Sil
>>
>>324299520

Kalpas are mentioned in skyrim too by the good dragon.

People need to stop pretending Kirkbride is non-canon.
>>
>>324291608
Supposedly in Skyrim it changes to say they all didn't disappear at once not just the one at the corpusarium, there were some settlements scattered around.
>>324292404
There is no way imperial city wasn't the largest in the series but the entire thing was also done with multiple instances. It was nicely done even though the rest of the map was made flat so the removal of levitation wasn't that bad in the fact it was basically useless, you'd think they would of put climbing back in at least with it being removed though.
>>324295518
Skyrim did look really cool though. I mean Oblivion just had some weird shit to it like what was the point of nirn root? Honestly I found all the fucking things and I got like 2-3 potions I don't even remember what the effect was but it was like something I'd never have a use for. Wasn't related to anything else in the game like it was just this pointless thing thrown in for no reason. "There was no in game lore really about the nirnroot just one npc that's like I have secret lores about it to makes teh secret potion."
>>
>>324299520
In a universe where console commands actually exist, who cares how fucked a timeline gets?
>>
>>324299736
Sotha Sil, Vivec's been overdone and Sotha is more interesting at this point
>>
>>324299523
They are partners in crime.
It may have seemed I was saying KK was only MKs translator but that was not my intent.
>>
>>324300493
If they were partners Coolman would have left with MK. They're just friends.
>>
File: 1447624239261.jpg (53 KB, 500x383) Image search: [Google]
1447624239261.jpg
53 KB, 500x383
>>324282610
This, but with the addition of also making the stories as generic and safe as possible for normalfags and console kiddies to swallow.

Things that are within their (limited) technical capabilities are either left out or watered down so that they're not too hard to understand/offensive. Can you imagine one of the good guys genociding an entire race? Bestiality? Polygamy? A balls to the wall sex scene written in full detail in a book? An entire race being turned into the skin/casting of a time traveling giant robot pillar that keeps time from becoming non-linear? Look at what they did to fucking Skooma. It went from vendors refusing to even touching you to giving a meager amount of stamina and being able to sell to everyone.
>>
>>324299791
The C0DA crowd needs to quit grasping at straws.
There is no doubt he has influence on the lore.
There is also no doubt his C0DA stuff is not canon.
>>
>>324300996
>something that was written after the most recent release of the series isn't included in the games
Gee, how surprising
I'll laugh when the next TES has a bunch of c0da references, just like Skyrim did with all his past stuff.
>>
>>324296852
>trainwiz makes a space ES game
>spelljammer style with crewing big magical starships to shoot at argonian root pirates
>smuggling souls from Masser to Secunda
>all the normies forever butthurt that TES is now full high fantasy instead of generic fantasy
It would be a win-win situation
>>
File: GIw8Q2n.jpg (98 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
GIw8Q2n.jpg
98 KB, 640x640
I would like to see a TES game set on a tropical Island/Jungle like a fantasy Cuba. How come so few games have that setting?
>>
>>324301160
Painted cows and offhand comments are not ringing endorsements of C0DA.
>>
>>324301910

Because european knights look out of place in those settings.
>>
>>324301996
>Offhanded remarks
>Dragon literally taking stuff from c0da

Ok
>>
>>324302019

But European Knights are boring
>>
>>324302547
You do realize the term Kalpa did not come from C0DA correct?
>>
>>324301996
No, but full speeches and books are endorsements of his previous stuff.
Again, hard for c0da to be in Skyrim when it came after Skyrim's release
>>
>>324303073
Do you mean the preacher in Whiterun?
He is named Heimskr for a reason.
>>
>>324303394
And the multiple black books in Apocrypha
also
>implying Heimskr isn't right
>>
>>324302945
the term being used in TES did
>>
>>324303692
Kalpa is a Sanskrit word for eon.

I believe you are correct but it is also possible you are not.
Part of the beauty of TES lore.
>>
>>324303514
Heimskr means Fool or Idiot in Icelandic.

Not all the devs are fans of C0DA.They tend to get irritated when a part of the fanbase gets lippy about the game not matching their headcanon.
>>
>>324304862
>Not all the devs are fans of C0DA

You still seem to miss the whole part where c0da was released AFTER Skyrim. Stuff like CHIM and the Amaranth however, are hard, acknowledged canon.
>>
>>324304862
>Not all the devs are fans of C0DA.
[citation needed]
>>
File: 129791361388.jpg (49 KB, 319x316) Image search: [Google]
129791361388.jpg
49 KB, 319x316
>>324290598
>crysis was released a year after oblivion
>morrowind was released the same year as fucking kingdom hearts
>>
>>324304862
>Heimskr means Fool or Idiot in Icelandic.

Yes, and he's still completely right. It's what we call dramatic irony.
>>
>>324296162
Miraak was a bland as fuck antagonist and the entire gravity of his plan was tremendously underplayed. You have to make all sorts of leaps just to figure out what he's trying to do and it has no bearing on the story whatsoever. He could be a generic evil warlord armed with forbidden knowledge and it wouldn't change a thing. Dagoth Ur was far more compelling, both in-game and in the lore.
>>
>>324305019
True.
Now using only in game sources explain CHIM.

You get a "Secret Syllable" from Molag Bal
You get Tiber used it to change a jungle(He changed it so it never was what it was)

From in game sources it is Possible CHIM is part of the Dragon language and Tiber CHIM RO DAHed the jungle away.

I hope they use the next game to deCHIM the lore once and for all.
>>
>>324306497
>From in game sources it is Possible CHIM is part of the Dragon language and Tiber CHIM RO DAHed the jungle away.

Except no, when it's outright stated to be a secret syllable of royalty and also canonically an Ehlnofex word in the first place.
>>
>>324282610
>Even getting Dragons to work like they do must've been a herculean effort by Beth.
Huh. Skyrim dragons are crap.

I don't get any of the praise for them. Have people just not fought dragons in other video games before? They didn't do a good job...
>>
>>324306497
Nope. You get a lot more than that. Might want to reread Mankar Camoran's Commentaries
Also CHIM is an ehnolfey word, hence the all caps.
I mean shit, have a brief read up at the very least.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:CHIM
>>
>>324304862

I can already see the meme wars happening in this thread.

May I remind you that people who want the C0da to not be canon are the kind of people that support Tolkienism and are responsible for TeSO
>>
>>324307162
The people who want c0da to not be canon are the same people who bitched when Skyrim had dwemer machines and that TES never had robots.
>>
>>324306797
Whose to say the Dragons(Who are older) aren't the ones who taught them the word?
>>
File: 129791361361.jpg (56 KB, 313x254) Image search: [Google]
129791361361.jpg
56 KB, 313x254
>>324307302
>tes never had robots
>in a world where you could literally use souls for power
>>
>>324307429
Ehlnofey are older than the dragons, that's basic lore 101 man. Ehlnofey are et'ada spirits, they predate convention and thus actually settled Mundus while dragons are only as old as time.
>>
>>324306982
The Dragon Language is all caps as well.
Hard to write lower case letters with a giant claw.
>>
Honestly I don't know who thought it was a good idea to make Cyrodiil a jungle when we already had jungles in Valenwood and Elsweyr
>>
>>324282610
>that one patch where dragons all flew completely backwards,
I still want to know what caused that
>>
>>324307469

There exists faggots who go from fantasy game to fantasy game for the gameplay but want the lore to be generic LotR shit.

I think it's a result of there being very few good lord of the rings games.

These people are responsible for all kinds of bullshit like the destruction of night elf lore in WoW.

Cancerous demographic.
>>
>>324307469
Aren't there robots in Dwemer ruins?
>>
>>324307302
I have no problem with dwemeri devices or (a)numidium.

I think c0da is garbage and kirkbride is a fucking overrated hack. What now, shitrag?
>>
>>324307429
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Ehlnofex_Languages

Not how language evolved in TES
>>
>>324307778
no, thats blizzard being blizzard.
>>
File: carlos.png (138 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
carlos.png
138 KB, 350x350
>>324307729
It was a dragon break.
>>
>>324307815
So either way you're an uncreative fuck who is hostile to any idea that is at all out-there
>>
>>324308017

Blizzard didn't get REALLY blizzard until after BC. Blizzards core team has always been shit compared to Blizzard North but Vanilla was mostly made by a more rational blizzard than the one we have today.

Because of the LotR demographic they really fucked over night elves to more resemble LotR tier lawful good so they removed their animalistic stuff.

This was done because for marketing reasons.
>>
File: Emerald_Graves_Inquisition[1].jpg (748 KB, 1024x625) Image search: [Google]
Emerald_Graves_Inquisition[1].jpg
748 KB, 1024x625
>>324283131
>>324295774
cool, reminded me of the Emerald Graves
>>
File: 1417756084230.png (95 KB, 265x449) Image search: [Google]
1417756084230.png
95 KB, 265x449
>>324308373
>>
>>324289269
The weird thing is that everybody there when he said that wound have gone
"What jungle? we've always had fantastic farmland?"
>>
>>324308453
>>324308453
not because of marketing, its because metzen and his buddies were the only ones left.
>>
>>324283782
Yes they do. If any of the Skyrim cities were as big as they are in canon they'd take up half the map size.

I'm fine with games like Skyrim scaling things down.
>>
>>324308546
But then nobody would have any reason to praise Tiber for being such an awesome ruler and giving them great farmland instead of jungle and giant insects. He wouldn't want that.
>>
>>324308390
Not him but I don't like C0DA because I'm tired of Kirkbride self-fellating himself with his self-insert Vivec.

I'm tired of the Tribunal and all that shit, just let it go, some races like the Bretons and the Altmer have a subpar amount of lore about them, why focus on the Dunmer even more?
>>
>>324308867
Bretons have subpar lore because they're inherently uninteresting.
But you know what actually introduced a lot of interesting Altmer lore? ESO
>>
>>324296154
Because crazy cool stuff takes time to create.
>>
>>324295774
Any other good LORE mods?
>>
>>324307583
Dragons are as old as Aka-Tusk, they are of him
Aka-Tusk is the reason why Et'Ada can form
Dragons as we know them today might be product of many breaks, but THE DRAGON is oldest
>>
>>324308583

Except Metzen was very much the backbone behind night elf lore.

He wanted a savage dindu elf to compliment the savage dindu orc he invisioned.

Malfurion was his mary sue prior to thrall, which is why he was nature jesus before thrall became element jesus.

The thing about Metzen is that he isn't a George Lucas full of bad ideas that other execs suppressed. He's simply stopped giving a shit. This is apparent by all his old shit he did that was actually good.

He's basically become rich, old and lazy and doesn't waste the effort anymore. He's also far more light hearted then he used to be, he was once into grimdark shit and then got into silver age comics which explains why his new stuff is so capeshit tier.
>>
>>324309046
>Bretons have subpar lore because they're inherently uninteresting.
No i'm sorry but that's fucking bullshit.
Bretons have subpar lore because the only game that focused on them was when TES was still a D&D knockoff, and since then almost no one ever cared about them in any game.

If they're boring right now they have no excuse to not make them interesting like the other races.
The Altmer at least get cool stuff like the Thalmor faction and the Psjic Order but we barely know shit about them.

ESO is just an illusion of Molag Bal
>>
>>324309205
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58672/?

The most LORE mod of all. Also the best quest mod for Skyrim
>>
>>324303394
>He is named Heimskr for a reason.
Heimskr has a book written by him in both past and future and he appears in TESO
Heimskr is an agent of Talos especially considering the fact that Many Headed Talos is a lost super rare tome
>>
>>324295907
a little late, but there are several mods like this
>expanded towns and cities (I think that's what it's called)
>JK's skyrim series.
>>
>>324284696
Who's this referring to? Sounds cool
>>
>>324309579
>not forgotten city
>>
>>324309654
It is lost for a reason.
Heresy is best forgotten.
>>
>>324309823
Pelinal.
>>
File: pelinal2.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pelinal2.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>324309839
Pelinal Whitestrake
In the original concept art especially his armor was a lot more futuristic and robotic.
>>
>>324309961
meant that to >>324309823

Also the core of the Adamantium Tower is Aka's spaceship.
>>
File: skyrim mod author.jpg (47 KB, 417x174) Image search: [Google]
skyrim mod author.jpg
47 KB, 417x174
>>324309839
>forgotten city
More like jew city
>>
>>324309394
metzen was good because everyone else were was there to keep him down and knock him down a peg.
>>
>>324310237
>makes a mod worth $100,000 knowing it would be made available for free
>gets buttmad that he doesn't make money on it
>>
>>324307656

>The Dragon Language is all caps as well.

But that's wrong though.
>>
>>324310237
>guys see this thing that I decided to make for no monetary compensation
>well it turns out doing things for free doesn't give money so i'm not making anything similar again
>>
File: 2cat.jpg (43 KB, 384x315) Image search: [Google]
2cat.jpg
43 KB, 384x315
>>324310237
>Mod
>professional

If he was a professional he would be employed. See: endereal team.
>>
>>324301910
That could be Summerset Isles, right?
>>
>>324310465
It's not even worth 100k. He says it took him around 210 days, and the mod is a few cells and a few quests (For reference >>324309579 took the author three months to make and is about twice as large). He claims he also makes over $60 an hour, and that over 100,000 people downloaded it when the most downloads he has is 50,000
He's a liar and a fucking greedy pig.
>>
>>324294564
Fucking sick.
>>
>>324307656
>thu'um is the dragon language
>>
>>324294564
>Argonians
Hist*
Don't confuse the slaves for the masters
>>
File: 1396776698648.png (719 KB, 446x1000) Image search: [Google]
1396776698648.png
719 KB, 446x1000
>>324310237
>wah nobody wants to play a mod they'd have to pay for while there's a billion other mods that are better and completely free

If you desperately want money for your mod, set up a donation system or shove your shit behind adfly links like those fucks from Minecraft's modding community.
>>
>>324310237
>waah pay me for doing a hobby
what a faggot
>>
>>324307656
>the dragon langauge is written in a script with cases
What are you doing
>>
>>324310860
Argonians arent slavew
>>
>>324306825
He's saying Beth sucks, not that the dragons are good.

Retard.
>>
>>324310237
>1700 hours for that mod
Forgotten City wasn't that big, I could make an entire landmass mod in way less than that.
What the fuck was this guy doing all that time?
>>
>>324311143
>Argonians arent slavew
>able to be mind controlled by the Hist at any moment
>even by Hist that aren't part of the main collective by the ones on Umbriel
Just because your master lets you on a long chain doesn't mean the chain doesn't exist lizardman.
You're a useful tool to the Hist.
>>
>>324311183
he's probably counting the hours he spent procrastinating somewhere with the project opened on the side as working time
>>
>>324310237
Man I wanted to play that mod too, sad to see he's a faggot
>>
>>324310569
He is employed as a programmer.
He just did this in addition to his work and for whatever autistic reason thought he'd be making bank off of it.
>>
>>324311458
so what?
just download it for free and play it
>>
>>324311495
What kind of idiot programmer doesn't realize that modding is a hobby

>>324311458
only trainwiz remains as the bastion of modding free from money and faggotry
>>
So what really happened to the Dwemer in five sentences?
>>
File: Dwemer.jpg (680 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dwemer.jpg
680 KB, 1920x1080
>>324312132
>>
>>324312132
Nobody knows.

Some fanfics claim to know but caveat emptor.
>>
>>324312132
They got turned into the skin of Numidium
>>
>>324312132
They tipped way too hard.
>>
>>324312132
They disappeared.
>>
>>324312132
They tried to become gods, but got the science wrong and wiped themselves from existence instead.
>>
>>324312132
K's math was not supported by peer review.
One of the dwemer was in the outer planes at the time.
This fouled up the math even more.
K went ahead with his plan and instead of becoming the skin of the Numidium all the Dwemer souls went to the nearest constructs.
This is why Dwemer automatons are still active.
>>
>>324312909
So when I play MW I'm literally killing the Dwemer?
>>
>>324282610
Morrowind isn't the most technically impressive game, but it gets the lore shenanigans right. Oblivion and Skyrim are just boring.

While Cyrodiil and Skyrim might not be as outlandish as Morrowind they're still quite fantastical and surreal. I can't wait to see how badly Bethesda will butcher Summerset Isles.

My greatest wish is for Elder Scrolls to be rebooted from Oblivion or even Daggerfall by a competent team to deliver a series of fantastic, well written and outlandish RPGs that displays each province in all it's glory.

Too bad that will never happen.
>>
>>324312909
Give old K some credit man.
He had to do his best while the Nords were jobbing outside and an army of Chimer was about to rek his shit.
>>
>>324297983

>the Arena
>not big enough for a tenis match
>less people than a weekend highschool football match spectating
>the Market
>a single street with 10 shops top
>no street vendors, no crowds walking around, no new stocks ever
>>
File: toddy.jpg (720 KB, 2696x4044) Image search: [Google]
toddy.jpg
720 KB, 2696x4044
Oh sorry I thought you enjoyed LotR forrests with a bunch of cities with varying European architecture and a generic lifeless Minas-Tirith clone the size of a WallMart. My bad.
>>
>>324313462
Has a game ever had a good Bazaar aside from like the first AC?
>>
>>324302019

what about Spanish Conquerors? they wore armors and fought with swords as well
>>
>>324289069
Most provinces aren't as weird as Morrowind, but they're a lot more crazy than Oblivion or Skyrim would let on.

Cyrodiil used to be a crazy jungle with both Chinese and Roman architecture. Now it's a boring Roman field.

Skyrim didn't even have one rope made of severed tongues!
>>
>>324313594

dunno. I was just really ticked off that the flea market that shows up every tuesday on my neighborhood looks way more lively and busy than the commercial hub of the capital city of the empire at the center of the world.

i mean fuck, could you imagine the difference it would have made if they had made all the buildings in the IC 4 floors instead of 2? if the streets were kinda dark from the looming buildings? if the streets were closer, more crowded and noisy with traffic from carts and people from all over the world doing business? people selling? people talking, people working, etc?

why not add two circles more to the wheel and fill them with slums and more middle class houses instead of the cushy mansions even the poor people had there? or fuck, make a level of the IC's sewers a true underground city housing bars and homes and all the seedier life. Kinda like, dunno, fucking Vivec, though it looked like a small town mall it still had a sense of life to it.

i hate the fucking place. I love urban life and settlements, even more in fantasy settings and this sorry shithouse spits on me. I will never let go of that, i hate the plastic look of Cyrodill, the amusement park-looking towns and unnatural looking plants and geography, but it's the City that makes me lose my shit. It should be the most memorable place in TES ever. But it can't even compete with Balmora.
>>
>>324282610
If the lore is so great then where is the pen and paper rpg or boardgames?
>>
>>324280786
God damn, why is every city in TES no bigger than half a dozen houses and maybe a church and general store?
>>
>>324315158
"Engine limitations." - Todd Howard
>>
>>324280786
After reading this thread I've come to realize elder scrolls lore is retarded and and ironed out by a casual gamer aiming dev team.
Besides after elder scrolls online, well its a dead title.
>>
File: almalexia2.jpg (429 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
almalexia2.jpg
429 KB, 1600x900
>>324315158
Because it takes a long time to make big cities when every building has to be able to be entered.
>>
>>324315257
He never said that tho
>>
>>324312132

>Dwemer scientifically prove reality is bullshit.
>They want to make a non-bullshit reality by merging with a mechanical god.
>They fuck it up and merge with the gods skin.
>This makes the mechanical god the lord of Fedoras.

That's 4 sentences
>>
>>324316317

i wonder what would happen if the numidium tipped it's fedora while another dragon break was happening
>>
>>324315106
The first game was an adaptation of the devs D&D game.
>>
>>324316846

It would likely pro-long the dragon break.

The dragon break is only happening because the Numuidum is metaphysically walking up to the Numuidium and tipping it's fedora, claiming it's euphoric off it's own intelligence.

This make Aka'tosh a fedora fag too who realizes that he doesn't exist.

Eventually Aka'tosh realizes he's been a colossal faggot and goes back to believing he's real again.
>>
>>324317656

so he can chim himself back from a zero sum?
>>
>>324312909
Retarded. That is literally not what happened.
>>
>>324317978

Who? The Numidium?
>>
>>324318747

akatosh
>>
I want to know why they haven't taken another stab at procedural generation to make their cities/provinces larger again.
>>
>>324318913
their engine would probably melt.

On the other hand, how does the medieval 2 mod for Elder scrolls play like?
>>
File: 14507160275340.gif (2 MB, 328x323) Image search: [Google]
14507160275340.gif
2 MB, 328x323
>>324318913

>modern bethesda games
>procedurally generated anything

this is the most perfect recipe for a clusterfuck i've ever read. It would make ArmA games look butterly smooth.
>>
>>324318843

Aka'tosh is crystallized, that's not being CHIM at all.

When the dragon break occurs I don't think he enters zero sum.
>>
>>324317978
no the numidium disrupts the linear flow of time.
>>
>>324318913

I don't think anyone really does procedural generation right these days, so I can't imagine Bethesda doing it with any amount of success.
>>
>>324318007
Nobody knows what actually happened.
>>
>>324312353
I wish elder scrolls looked this good, minus the floating black man
>>
>>324320446
>man
>>
File: 1440562395397.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1440562395397.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
>>324282610
Why can't they just get a new fucking engine already? Oblivion looked fine, back in 2005.

Fallout 4 looks like it came out in 2008.
>>
>>324320997
There's nothing actually wrong with the engine. Nor would getting a new one solve anything. You don't blame a hammer for making a bad house.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.