[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck happened to Titanfall? I never played it, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: titanfall.jpg (360 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
titanfall.jpg
360 KB, 1920x1080
What the fuck happened to Titanfall?

I never played it, but felt like tying it since it was only 10 bucks, but suddenly it's 20 again?

Is there even a community? How come a hyped and well recieved game like this just died?
>>
>>324054285
they made all the dlc maps free to put game on life support

they didn't remove the smart pistol tho so the game is still ded
>>
No single player and lack of content killed it.
>>
>>324056087
Also
>35GB audio files
>>
>>324054368
LOL, only scrubs complain about smart pistol. You probably;y never played TTF or played it for 20 hours or something.
>>
>>324056087
CS GO don't have singleplayer and number of official matchmaking maps there is comparable to TTF, but it's alive and well.
>>
it was a bit lacking in content and joined an already saturated market. it's a great game and it goes on sale for 5 often. shame it's only got a smaller dedicated playerbase but there's enough people to mm and have fun, on PC at least.
>>
>>324056605
Xbone version has 10k players online most of the time.
>>
I play it on xbone now and then, people are still playing it surprisingly
>>
>>324056364
game with season pass included is 60gb, 14 gb is game files, the rest is audio
>>
>>324056087
THIS

TF could've been great not GOTY but great with a proper campaign and not that TDM-story mix bullshit they put you in.

Not to mention the game doesn't let you run and gun by default. You have to make your way to a higher rank to unlock it. Something the recent COD games did right for once
In the meantime you were always prey of gottagofastmlgpro players who can shoot+be a ninja

>>324056364
god i forgot about this too
>>
>>324056843
...because it's good?
>>
>>324056553
csgo didnt release at 60€
>>
>>324056929
Lack of campaign is the reason why multiplayer is so good, because they focused on it fully. Why are you faggots don't complain about lack of campaign in CS: GO for example? Because you will be called out as retards you are.
>>
>>324057048
So what? It's a retarded complain "why is there no campaign in this multiplayer focused FPS?", maybe you should also ask why Witcher 3 lacks multiplayer, it's 60 bucks, where is it? Fuckers.
>>
>>324056843
>I play it on xbone now and then
>play a shooter with a controller
Or maybe play another game entirely.
>>
>>324057390
What's wrong with playing a shooter designed for controller with a controller?
>>
>>324054285
Blockbuster Online-Only FPS are victims to the next big Blockbuster Online-Only FPS. They're basically born with a "6 months to live" sticker on them.
>>
>>324057349
>It's a retarded complain(t)
No it is not.
Witcher has content for single player that lasts well over 100 hours.
Titanfall has virtually no content except a pretense of a campaign that happens whil you play online on too few maps with too little to do, becoming too stale too fast.

games having singleplayer is the norm to this day, MP is just a bonus in most games, if it is there at all, MP only games are usually priced at 30$ or lower for a reason.

Single player requires more varied level design, sound design, voice work, more artists, writers (at all), and a few other things, if you demand the same price for a game that doesn´t feature all these, where exactly do you propose is the money going in the development? Sure deves would like you to pay the regular price for a game without making content worth 60$, but in all honesty why should any informed, pre or post purchase, customer be okay with 60$ for a game that has clearly not made the multiplayer better and larger than games that feature a satisfying singleplayer as well as a MP that is on par to yours?
>>
>>324058061
TTF still have decent amount of players online on xbone, 10k players 2 years after it's release is alright, it is certainly more than playable, because game relies on dedicated servers there is no problems with shitty connection quality.
>>
Okay /v/ how would you fix Titanfall 2? More Mechs? More players?
>>
>>324054285
Apparently it's still somewhat alive on consoles, but the PC version is dead. Despite it being fun as fuck a lot of people I know (and a lot of people on /v/) dismissed it because it was published by EA and was on Origin. If it was on Steam and didn't have anything to do with EA it probably would've been a lot more popular here, even if it was the exact same game.

There is a lack of weapons and unlockables though, which I guess could be seen as a lack of content for people that need dozens of useless unlockables and skins for their game.
>>
>>324058261
What you are saying does not make any sense, even if Titanfall had a singleplayer mode it would have been 8 hour long CoD-like campaign. As for amount of work put into Titanfall - it has online-campaign with mocapped actors, pretty nice story, cutscenes that you can watch, a lot of animated details. So they have put work into that. On top of huge amount of shit they had to care about when designing basically two games in one: you have pilot combat that feels like CoD but you can also go fast and bunnyhop like Quake, and Titan combat that feels like Halo, maps have to be designed with two gameplay modes in mind, and also balanced for every gamemode. Also not a single AAA game feature the same amount stuff on the map except Battlefield that didn't had singleplayer mode too and everyone was okay with that. Titanfall has dedicated server technology that allows it to put a lot of shit on the same level with players, 12 pilots and 12 titans can be on the server with a lot of AI grunts, shit gets insanely crazy in Titanfall matches like in no any other game, because it does not have to rely on underpowered servers or playerhosting.
>>
>>324056087
This. Also, at least on XBL, the matchmaking was horrendous when it first launched, and DLC was thin. Heck, at least just put bots in.

The maps are a little too big, and require a bit too much knowledge to really be competitive, it really doesn't guide you through a beginner's curve.

The titans change the flow of the match too much.

>>324056929
I loved the way they handled the death match introductions. It was a very simple yet compelling innovation. I'm surprised other games haven't aped that.

There is so much to like about the game but a few things annoyed me, the market is so competitive that once Titanfall got dropped, it started to die faster and faster.
>>
>>324058352
More sales, more depth, more balance.
Right now ARC cannon owns everything while being easy to use, also shitty carbine is still OP as fuck. 40mil was supposed to be a go to gun for skilled players (players who look for something that is not easy to use but gives an advantage if you know how to use it) but they have failed to make it powerful enough. They need to make Titan weapons that is hard to get good at, but when you do they should give you enough advantage to make their usage viable. Right we have Plasma Railgun and 40mil that are hard to use but easy to use ARC cannon and even noob Chaingun own them.
Also penalty for players who leave highly competitive gamemodes like LTS midgame would be nice too.
>>
>>324057180
>Why are you faggots don't complain about lack of campaign in CS: GO for example?
Because CS:GO has
>mod tools
>Custom player-run servers
>A LOT more maps
>Custom game modes and maps
>A much larger community
Kinda sad that Titanfall didn't have mods and player servers, especially considering it's a Source engine game.
>>
File: titanfall.png (2 MB, 986x1378) Image search: [Google]
titanfall.png
2 MB, 986x1378
Fun as fuck.
>>
>>324061690
Oh, and CS:GO was like, what, $30 on release?
And it's regularly as low as $7.50?
>>
>>324062667
Titanfall can be bought for 5 bucks on xbone frequently, it is on sale there almost every other week.
>>
>>324062901
It's been $5 on Origin before too, but it's already dead, so that's a waste.
Point is, it was much more expensive than CS:GO with much less content.
>>
File: Kamina.full.190837.jpg (209 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Kamina.full.190837.jpg
209 KB, 1920x1200
>>324062034
>tfw you take down a titan without using your own
>tfw you kill the pilot before he can escape
>tfw you get in your titan and and beat the shit out of others with your fists
it's pretty good.
>>
>>324060128
>maps too big
Geez sometimes I feel the opposite, even the test focus groups thought the maps seemed big and the players too limited until they were actually playing and the fast paced action negated that. That's what wallrunning and jumping is for, gets you around very quick if you're good.

The titans I can agree somewhat, it happens because one team calls in their titans one at a time, of course they'll get gang raped by the other teams titans. Having a mic and decent teammates really helps.
>>
File: All You Need is Kill.jpg (304 KB, 600x824) Image search: [Google]
All You Need is Kill.jpg
304 KB, 600x824
>>324062034
Edge of Tomorrow comparison is fucking spot on.
>>
It's decent. I'd still play it every now and then if there was an active community, but on PC it was pretty dead last I checked.
>>
>>324056364

I fought hard for that jap voice, i won't say it was worth it but I wish we had the choice to download only the voices we wanted
>>
>>324060128
Also for the flow you can really just hunt the NPCs around the match and get a shit ton of attrition points if you're fast enough. I do it sometimes when my team just sucks ass, Smart gun with enhanced targeting, stim, power cell and minion detecer for the set up.
>>
The online "Campaign" system was a breath of fresh air, nothing revolutionary but a bit different. However its a goddamn shame you nobody can actually affect the outcome of the story, it'd be fun if differing victory conditions lead down to different story branches and a different result if you played through the whole thing in one sitting.

Ultimately it was a fine tuned CoD with mechs; I quite liked fighting amongst AI grunts mixed with players, and the controls were damn fine, just open it up a bit and things could improve. Maybe even incorporate a more intricate melee system to change things up with the mechs.
>>
>>324063045
It was yes, but did CS GO had all that content on launch? Amount work and money that was put in Titanfall by it's developer is pretty big, it's bigger base game than CS GO. Anyway right now it costs 20 USD and 5 USD on sale, pretty comparable to CS GO.

The mistake here is that CS GO is viewed by it's developers almost like a service, while Titanfall developers had the old fashioned way of supporting the game after launch with patches for some time, releasing DLCs and then abandoning it. It could have been so much more if they had implemented the CS GO model on Titanfall. They could have made CTF and LTS modes in TTF extremely competitive with the right tweaks and shit, also give community ability to create custom gamemodes, maybe even do the community market thing with weapon and titan skins.
>>
>>324054285
Great game but waiting for the sequel.

Does a ton of things so good that every other FPS copied from it.
>>
>>324064451
I can only think of Black Ops 3, who else copied from Titanfall?
>>
>>324064442
>while Titanfall developers had the old fashioned way of supporting the game after launch with patches for some time, releasing DLCs and then abandoning it.
Yea no, that's not the old fashioned way.
The old fashioned way would be giving the game mod tools so the community could thrive on player-created content.
>>
>>324064587
Halo's warzone thing.

The movement system was copied by COD

Evolve took a little bit of the dropping into the match thing and escaping from missions.
>>
>>324064748
Yeah that's right, thanks for refreshing my memory. Halo 5 was so shit i forgot it even existed.
>>
>>324064709
I mean old fashioned way for console game developer, Titanfall is after all mainly a console game.
>>
>>324064748
>The movement system was copied by COD
Very poorly.
>>
>>324064994
The game was originally going to be PC exclusive, that's part of the reason why it used Source engine to begin with.
>>
>>324064998
Yup, CoD AW movement was godawful, BO3 movement is a lot better right until the moment when you compare it to Titanfall.
>>
>>324064998
Which is why we need a Titanfall 2.

There's really no other game out there that has the same feeling as wall running across buildings, jumping onto a titan and shooting everything you had into it's core to kill it before jumping out and shooting the pilot before he escapes.
>>
>>324054285
wall running was cool but it was a bit too poorly implemented
yes, I've seen some of the CTF routes and done some myself
>>
>>324065123
You literally talking out your own ass.

No it wasn't, even more, they wanted to use Ratchet and Clank and engine in the beginning, even had some test levels build with it, but in the end they agreed on the Source engine because it was more similar to Quake engine that their previous CoD games used.

You can read it all in the book about Titanfall development by dorito pop.
>>
>>324065226
It's because BO3 loses all momentum as soon as you run on a wall for more than a split second.
The only way you can maintain momentum is to just keep hopping from wall to wall (which isn't possible on most maps due to the mediocre design and even then it's not as fast as Titanfall).
I honestly was hoping that BO3's movement would at least be decent but the maps just aren't made for it.
>>
>>324057390

Fag
>>
>>324065594
Treyarch made it so that COD BO3 still felt like COD except with a little extra movement.

Their intent is fine because COD isn't supposed to be played like Titanfall. Compare AW's movement where people are flying everywhere and everyone complaining how the game isn't built to handle movements like that to BO3 being COD done well meant that Treyarch limited the movement in the first place.
>>
>>324065594
I agree, but there is a bright side to BO3 movement system: the way you can chain slides and jumps to gain momentum without losing speed after slide is alright, i mean it's better than CoD AW.
>>
>>324065826
True, CoD still has it's own thing to do, but I dunno, I guess it just left a sour taste in my mouth after Titanfall.
Also, fuck anyone who thinks AW has better movement than BO3.
>>324065914
That's true, I especially loved wallhopping from wall to wall on Combine and just absolutely destroying people with the starting shotgun.
>>
>>324065826
Yes, you're right. BO3 is the best CoD experience i had in years. But it is still shitty shallow game where all guns feel the same and kill times are way too fast. Titanfall killtimes are fast too, but there is only 6 players on the huge ass map where every position can be accessed from multiple directions very fast if you're good, that shit eliminates most of the randomness that comes with fast killtimes.
>>
>>324066385
Also i must add that that you take a lot less damage in Titanfall if you are wallrunning or in the air and have high enough velocity (bunnyhoping for example). Stationary target will die fast when attacked in Titanfall. But if somebody attacked you while you were going fast you can survive and use info about his position to flank and kill him.
>>
>>324064748
>Evolve took a little bit of the dropping into the match thing and escaping from missions.
I loved doing that shit, hot dropping onto the map at the start of the match is boss, and the mad dash to get to the extraction point if you lose.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.