[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about NPC AI for a second? Lets start with TES &
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
File: tesv2012-01-0314-11-08grsl.jpg (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
tesv2012-01-0314-11-08grsl.jpg
1 MB, 1680x1050
Can we talk about NPC AI for a second?

Lets start with TES & Fallout. With Oblivion, NPCs had a certain amount of dynamic ability within their scheduling, and personality traits such their responsibility level would feed into it. For example, some NPCs with low responsibility would steal from around them or pickpocket other NPCs (often failing), if they wanted something but didn't have it in their inventory. This and some other small dynamic abilities that made them interact with the world really added to the unpredictable feel of the game, made it feel alive.

Then Skyrim hits, and those dynamic abilities have been stripped away for whatever reason. Even their scheduling has been stripped down to bare bones, and they never do anything unpredictable at all. same thing over and over, very little world interaction with a purpose. Sure they have some extra idle animations to make it look their doing things, but there's nothing going on beneath the hood. It's just eye candy.

Fallout 4 seems to be the same radiant AI from skyrim but tweaked for the fallout universe, has anyone noticed any specific AI improvements/changes?

The point? Oblivion is a DECADE old and in terms of AI freedom in an open world, it's probably still the best we have. The only other franchise that calk about having decent, dynamic AI is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Why is this? Does your average gamer simply not care about the immersion factor and unpredictability that AI freedom can bring to a game? For me good AI can make a game feel alive, I like not knowing exactly what's going to happen or not knowing what I'm going to come across because things happen due to AI decisions.
>>
>>324023048
>For example, some NPCs with low responsibility would steal from around them or pickpocket other NPCs

I'll call bullshit on that. Like 500+ hours of playing Oblivion and I don't think I've ever seen anything even close to that.
>>
The best thing about the Oblivion AI was how they had to dumb it down, before release some characters would get spiteful and go out to kill pickpockets that had stolen from them. Wish they'd kept that in the game to be honest.
>>
File: 1449047756932.jpg (70 KB, 599x600) Image search: [Google]
1449047756932.jpg
70 KB, 599x600
>Can we talk about NPC AI for a second?
>oblivion
>skyrim
>fallout
>oblivion
>oblivion
>skyrim
>fallout
>fallout
>skyrim
>oblivion
>fallout
>>
>>324023230
I've seen city guards shoot down random citizens in the streets. When I check their inventory they have stolen items.
>>
>Oblivion
>NPC's don't even take shelter while it's raining
>>
File: CitySwimmer.png (1006 KB, 600x1000) Image search: [Google]
CitySwimmer.png
1006 KB, 600x1000
>>324023230
Then you've not been paying much attention.

City swimmer, pic related, would end up dead all the time because of trying to pickpocket food from other NPCs. Ongar in Bruma would do it aswell sometimes, I've watched him get punched to death because he tried to pickpocket an NPC in front of ~5 other NPCS in a tavern.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:City-Swimmer

Check the notes
>"Due to her low responsibility, it is not uncommon for her to be pursued by the guards and killed for pickpocketing. To temporarily prevent this simply place food near her."
>>
>>324023625
Wow. Neat.

Not once. In any save I have played have I ever seen an NPC die without my character having some form of hand in it.
>>
File: 1444605348185.png (256 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
1444605348185.png
256 KB, 330x330
>>324023048
Why do people in here have such a big nostalgia boner for Oblivion that they're now literally making stuff up?

Oblivion'sRadiant "AI" was a laughingstock for months after it was released. They might've as well just replaced it with a random number generator deciding on random scripted actions. In fact, many people assumed that was the case. Even Morrowind had better AI than Oblivion.
Skyrim's was still shit considering how much time they had to improve upon Oblivion's garbage AI, but it was still infinitely better.
>>
>>324024156
>I have no idea what I'm talking about
>>
>>324023784
Same man I had no idea the AI was capable of that in Oblivion
>>
File: toodddd.png (86 KB, 226x175) Image search: [Google]
toodddd.png
86 KB, 226x175
>>324024156
>we will never have the original Oblivion AI before it was gutted
Feels bad man
>>
>>324024156
Care to share examples of games with more dynamic AI?
>>
Skyrim NPCs are god tier compared to fucking Witcher 3
>>
>>324023048
See >>324023230
>>324023784
>>324024258

Notice a pattern? It's not that people don't care, it's that people -don't notice-.

What's the point of having an interesting, dynamic AI when only maybe 1 in every hundred people ever experience it?
>>
>>324023426
That's scripted events though
>>
Skyrim's "drop an apple and the whole town fights to death for it" NPCs are better than anything in Oblivion
>>
>>324023625
I remember the first time that happened to me, it freaked me out. I swear if you dropped heaps of valuable stuff in Skyrim that people would steal it and fight over it and shit like that.
>>
>>324024669
>>324024669
someone post the "Just one coin please" picture
>>
File: polvillage.jpg (230 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
polvillage.jpg
230 KB, 1440x900
>>324023784
The best thing was what modders where able to do with it.

OOO added extra adventurers/raiders who would randomly delve into ruins just like the player could, and they'd actually loot bodies/chests as they want. They'd be quite unpredictable, some would be friendly and wouldn't mind you being there and taking loot, some would turn on you if you took loot but they wanted it etc. It was great.

>>324024156
Except your wrong. Nothing has been mentioned in this thread that's made up. If you where active in the modding scene, you'd have seen the differences between oblivions & skyrims AI capabilities talked about in length by some of the best technical modders. It's 100% fact that on the whole, the overall dynamic abilities was cut down in skyrim, to save performance & stop "silly things from happening".
>>
>>324024946
If no casual noticed Oblivion's AI and everyone says Skyrim's is better, then it doesn't matter how advanced Oblivion's AI was, it still failed and was useless.
>>
>>324024946
>Oblivion's AI was extremely advanced but only top technical modders noticed!
Ok gramps.
>>
>>324024460
Then the game should bring the player's attention to that. I didn't know the NPCs eat food in Oblivion, because in other games they don't, but when I was doing the Dark Brotherhood quests, I was told I can place a poisoned apple in someone's inventory and it would kill them. I was surprised.
>>
File: sneak.jpg (49 KB, 425x273) Image search: [Google]
sneak.jpg
49 KB, 425x273
>>324024532
If you're talking about the thiefs in riften in skyrim, yes that's a scripted radiant event.

In oblivion though, there was a few NPCs who could dynamically chose to steal based on their AI. It wasn't a scripted event. Thry'd often get caught and guards would kill them over bread.

>>324024669
Now this is an example of a scripted event. It gets triggered when you have certain companions IIRC (not sure if they NEED to be companions, but more common for me), but if you drop a weapon or armour sometimes it'll trigger an event where two NPCs will fight over it. It's not actually the NPC AI thinking "oh, I want that".
>>
>>324023048
AI is one of the most difficult things to program
>>
>>324025424
All AI is scripted you idiot. There's no real AI yet, specially not in a video game.
>>
someone post that image from the creation kit with the comparison between Oblivion NPC schedules and Skyrim
>>
Someone post that picture of my mum and all those guys hahah :(
>>
>>324025424
Now this is an example of a scripted event. It gets triggered when you have certain companions IIRC (not sure if they NEED to be companions, but more common for me), but if you drop a weapon or armour sometimes it'll trigger an event where two NPCs will fight over it. It's not actually the NPC AI thinking "oh, I want that".

It's the same thing for Oblivion you colossal fucking moron. Do you genuinely believe this behavior just popped out of thin air without any input from a developer?

I work with skyrim in the CK heavily and know for a FACT that skyrim has 10x the amount of complex NPC interactions than oblivion, from NPCs gathering around dead dragons, to them searching dead npcs for gold. The only notable random thing oblivion NPCs performed were random conversations, which hardly ever made sense anyway.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (288 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
288 KB, 1920x1080
Someone post that picture of a failboat dev with their fail AI in games.
>here's the pic
>>
>>324025497
What about the Quake 3 bots that achieved world peace by realizing the only winning move was to not play?
>>
How can people have fucking nostalgia for that uninspired LOTR ripoff? You fucking children and your desperation to appear contrarian.
>>
>>324025901
>>324025497
The crucial distinction here is NPC actions as a reaction to player input vs NPC actions without player input.
Both of you are retarded.
>>
>>324026103
that was fake
>>
File: payt.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
payt.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
>>324025497
Of course but that's not what is being refereed to.

If something just happened because, for example, the player entered the area - that's commonly refereed to as a triggered/scripted event.

If the NPC does something because it made it's own "decision" based on it's AI scripts, i.e based on the current situation and not just because the players presence triggered an event, then it's referred to as dynamic.

>>324026118
This guy gets it
>>
>>324026118
It's still the same.

Both are built around "IF - THEN"
>>
>>324026105
The gameplay itself is superior to Skyrim and is a development on Morrowind rather than a scaling down like we saw with Skyrim.

The dungeons and side quests are great, superior to either Skyrim or Morrowind.
>>
>>324023230
In shivering isles, big head has an objective where everyday for a few hours, he searches for fork items. Near where he lives is an npc who carries a fork, so its not uncommon to see him killed or chased by guards due to a failed pickpocket
>>
>>324023048
Outcast from 1999 had better AI than any Bethesda game
>>
>>324026287
Of course everything is.

All programs are built around storing values, conditional statements and loops.

Doesn't mean all programs are the same.

Smartass faggot.
>>
>>324026274
Both happen because the player is there.

Oblivion NPCs don't exist if you aren't in their cell.

Both behaviours are literally programmed exactly the same.
>>
>>324026403
>Oblivion NPCs don't exist if you aren't in their cell.
They're still simulated.

Also, that's irrelevant anyway. You could handwave anything with that reasoning.
>True dynamic AI is triggered by user input because you have to run the program
>>
STALKER is great for this. The NPCs walk around and loot and get into firefights without the player character having to do a thing.

I loved watching a pack of bloodsuckers clear a big building, hearing the yells and gunfire. I really wish more games had "random" shit like that.
>>
File: 1441723473628.png (102 KB, 450x443) Image search: [Google]
1441723473628.png
102 KB, 450x443
I hope we're seriously not at the point where people are nostalgic for fucking Oblivion.

Kill me.
>>
>>324026538
Exactly. the guy is just taking the meaning of the world "scripted" out of context when being used in reference to dynamic AI.
>>
>>324026620
It still has the best quests in TES desu.
>>
>>324026561
Yeah stalker was great for this. As it said in the OP, it's really the only other franchise that tried this stuff and made it work to an extent
>>
>>324023048
I don't know, undertale has decent ai
>>
>>324026620
Newfag, people were nostalgic for Oblivion back in 2010.
The "being upset about people being nostalgic about Oblivion" is a recent thing. You've exposed yourself as the newfag you are.
>>
File: 2015-07-26_00006.jpg (310 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-26_00006.jpg
310 KB, 1920x1080
>>324026752
I think morrowind had the best storyline, Oblivion had the best "living world" feel, skyrim had the best/smoothest combat
>>
>>324024460
Because when it does happen and you do notice it it's one of the best and most memorable parts of playing the game

Also I think more people notice these things than you may realize

Plus if the technology is 10 years old, why the hell aren't when using it now (let alone improving on it) when it's pretty objectively superior?
>>
File: 1451500963335.gif (628 KB, 172x192) Image search: [Google]
1451500963335.gif
628 KB, 172x192
>>324026842
Ok no fuck this I'm done
Fuck you guys
>>
File: 1451691257462.jpg (42 KB, 397x402) Image search: [Google]
1451691257462.jpg
42 KB, 397x402
>>324026908
>skyrim had the best/smoothest combat
>>
File: 1450573653360.gif (181 KB, 405x414) Image search: [Google]
1450573653360.gif
181 KB, 405x414
>>324026620
Yes, we are. it's been like that for a while, in fact.
You constantly have threads popping up about what a masterpiece Oblivion was and how dumbed down and for casuals Skyrim was, made by people who never even played Morrowind let alone Daggerfall. This is the reality we live in now.
>>
>>324026857
Whatever you say, faggot. I will never forget the day horse armor came out and the reactions on /v/.
>>
>>324026908
>Skyrim
>Combat
Looking past the fact that you can barely call it combat, it is not at all smooth.
Oblivion had better combat because the animations were faster and far more responsive. Skyrim has a lot of clumsy movements because it's so heavily tied to the animations.
>>
File: playernone.png (225 KB, 2518x1370) Image search: [Google]
playernone.png
225 KB, 2518x1370
>>324026342
>The dungeons and side quests are great, superior to either Skyrim or Morrowind.

Yeah, you're beyond hope if you genuinely believe that. Oblivions dungeons were all from a pre existing warehouse that were just rearranged in different ways. There was ONE level designer for oblivion, whereas there were 10x that in Skyrim. You're a fucking fool and I don't know why I even answered such an ignorant post.

Gameplay was also fucking hideous in Oblivion, what are you on? You repeatedly slammed your right trigger for melee without any feedback or delay between strikes and the animations were awful, you could say the same about Skyrim, but the nature of being a sequel means that it HAS to be improved. Also the fucking "magic" in oblivion were just recolored off 3 base spells.

>>324026274
WRONG, on all accounts. You are completely uninformed on the systems in Skyrim and I don't even know where your opinion comes from except delusional nostalgia.

Not pictured in this image are the actual scripts applied onto certain NPCs, which are near 30 in on themselves. Oblivion had a 10th of the NPC interactions that Skyrim has, it's indisputable and if you can offer evidence to the contrary, then you're dismissed.
>>
>>324027105
I will never forget the daily boob inflation mod threads.
>>
>>324026561
>See group of Stalkers get attacked by dogs
>A few of them are heavily wounded, I save them by giving them medkits
>Travel with them to an anomoly with a few artifacts, take one and leave the rest to them
>Keep hanging around, they go to a camp and play guitar and shit
>After a few minutes of comfy, warning goes off for an emission and every runs to the nearest cover

Why have no other games used a system this good
>>
>>324027129
Oblivion combat made fucking shitty indie games look good, melee players were just flailing their weapons around randomly without a care in the world and it also lacked options like dual wielding and bashing with sword/shield. It was fucking terrible.
>>
>>324027146
>muh I've fiddled with the construction set, I'm a pro modder with an important opinion
Fuck off, retard.

Call me back when Skyrim jarls start travelling between cities surrounded by guards.
>>
>>324026908
>Oblivion had the best living world feel

Lol fucking no, it was a giant green blob filled with shallow NPCs who were ugly as all fuck.
>>
>>324027326
What if the jarls did travel around, but they and their guards were all essential? That's the only way Bethesda would implement something like that.
>>
>>324027273
>melee players were just flailing their weapons around randomly without a care in the world
And this is somehow not happening in skyrim? Atleast in Oblivion you could successfully sneak in attacks after blocking and catching the next swing with your shield, because you weren't playing a drunkard that has the slowest movements possible.

>also lacked options like dual wielding and bashing with sword/shield. It was fucking terrible
Which has nothing to do with the actual combat but rather the content.

Oblivions combat was responsive whereas skyrim's is sluggish and non-rewarding.
>>
>>324027482
You keep comparing the two games. I'm going to let you in on a secret: Both games are shit, just Skyrim is slightly less shit.
>>
File: stopnow.png (279 KB, 2088x1048) Image search: [Google]
stopnow.png
279 KB, 2088x1048
>>324027326
That's a wilderness encounter, and I could very easily point you to another image to shut your retarded opinion down. In this category we have at least 20x the amount of random events than Oblivion had.

Remember, the random encounter system you see started with FALLOUT 3. Oblivion didn't have it, it only had pre determined scenes you'd see at specific points in a quest or at specific locations.
>>
>>324027561
I'm not dismissing that they're both shit.
But what I'm telling you is that skyrim did not improve the combat in any way, in fact, it made it worse.
You're the one trying to sell us this idea that skyrim somehow has the best/smoothest combat out of the series, which is objectively false.
>>
>>324027402

>giant green blob filled with shallow NPCs who were ugly as all fuck.

You literally just described real life.
>>
>>324027273
Admittedly you had to know how to play Oblivion to make it fun, but once you figure that out it's a 9/10 IMO

You could:
>play the vanilla game
>run around flailing your sword knowing that melee combat is shit, especially without mods
>do the main quest and wonder why oblivion gates aren't fun

Or you could:
>install mods to your liking
>play as a stealthy archer or some other fun build that actually tests skill somewhat
>explore the vibrant, dynamic world and do side quests

Up to you
>>
>>324023625
its not exactly dynamic AI though is it?
>>
>>324027663
The entire world isn't green, and you're obviously underage if you thought cyrodil was supposed to resemble rural england.

>>324027482
>Oblivions combat was responsive whereas skyrim's is sluggish and non-rewarding.

Just lmao, stopped reading at responsive. This is the times we live in now, like a living hell.
>>
Why is it that everybody is so apt to believe Todd's claims that RAI was so amazing that they had to dumb it down when the guy lied about nearly everything else?

Usually his lies are based on some minuscule grain of truth. I recall a developer saying that the AI was too "smart" during development and NPCs would murder each other over brooms whenever they wanted to sweep the floor. Preventing that isn't dumbing down the AI, it is making it smarter and more realistic. But this is likely what Todd referred to when he said they had to dumb it down.

Really, I don't think the AI was anything special in Oblivion. They performed tasks and ate, and based on certain traits sometimes they would not consider who owned the food.
>>
>>324024237
>>324024361
>Defending Oblivion's AI.
it doesn't matter how dynamic your AI is if every NPC behaves like it's brain damaged.
>>
File: FUCKING ARCHERS REEEE.png (1 MB, 800x3176) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING ARCHERS REEEE.png
1 MB, 800x3176
>>324027741
>literally a meme character
>>
>>324027774
>like a living hell.
Stopped reading there. You're going to have to explain how skyrim's combat is actually better/more responsive than Oblivion's if you're going to act like a faggot.
>>
>>324027659
>You're the one trying to sell us
>us

Nah, it's just you who has such shit taste.

>this idea that skyrim somehow has the best/smoothest combat out of the series, which is objectively false.

Except he's right and if you had ever touched another game with first or third person melee combat in your life, you'd know how right he is.
Both games were objectively shit, but at least the combat in Skyrim resembled something you'd see in an actual, professional video game, though only in a particularly shitty turn-of-the-century one. Oblivion combat felt like it was made in a freeware gamemaker program by some 14 year old.
>>
>>324027741
Yeah and if you install mods for Skyrim then it becomes even better than modded oblivion you fucking dolt. Does oblivion have mods like Frostfall or ETAC? Interesting NPCS?

No, the only notable mod it has is some shit city overhaul mod that conflicts with everything and Nehrim, a badly translated kraut mod with generic fantasy (although not too different from the bland, generic shitpile that was oblivion).
>>
File: 2910815.jpg (70 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
2910815.jpg
70 KB, 400x400
>>324027876
>Stopped reading at the end of the post
You sure showed him.
>>
File: 1409914582629.jpg (44 KB, 632x627) Image search: [Google]
1409914582629.jpg
44 KB, 632x627
>>324027146
>The nature of being a sequel means that it HAS to be improved

that is fucking retarded m8
>>
File: LaughingHyena01.jpg (222 KB, 1024x708) Image search: [Google]
LaughingHyena01.jpg
222 KB, 1024x708
>>324027909
>This entire post
Amazing how you can spend so many words explaining the nothingness that is your argument.

>>324027992
Get meme'd on friend :^)
>>
>>324027647
>Wolves hunting dear
kek
>>
The sad reality is, 100% of the gameworld is always made for the the player to experience, so anything that happens needs to have the player as protagonist. Seems like, from the average developer's point of view, everything that happens in the game needs to be related to the player.

GTA V one of the most recent examples: YOU can stalk people, YOU can start gang shootouts, YOU can call the police on other people's crimes (people only call the cops because of you, no other NPCs doing crimes), YOU can modify vehicles, YOU can buy weapons, and a long, long etc. NPCs can't do anything but react to the player's actions and shoot whoever they are set to hate.

I personally love when NPCs interact with the world/other NPCs on their own, specially in open worlds. It doesn't only make the world feel alive, it enhances your own experience, a lot. Replayability is also benefited from NPC to NPC/world interaction.

I'm bored of being the special snowflake that can do "something" in almost every first/third person game.

If the AI in videogames was actually interesting to play along with/against, multiplayer shit wouldn't be as popular
>>
>>324027925
Boo hoo, Oblivion has less mods than Skyrim (it still has a fuckton mind you).

Whether moded Skyrim is better than moded Oblivion is a matter of preference. I prefer the fantasy vibe, better side quests, and less repetition present in Oblivion.
>>
>>324028113
The developers intention with a sequel is that they want to improve on the original. Doesn't mean they always get it right but MOST of the time the gameplay will be better.

You people confuse setting/story with gameplay all the time. In this regard Dark souls 2 is better than dark souls 1 if we're only looking at gameplay and player customization.

No developer has it in their mind that "We're aiming to make a worse game than the original".
>>
>>324027647
You are a retard.
More scripted triggers and randomisation doesn't mean better AI. It means literally the exact opposite. You don't know a single thing about video game AI but are still mouthing off acting like a smartass.
In a good, dynamic AI system, NPCs have a set of priorities and behavioural patterns that are used to decide their actions in response to their environment. Their behaviour is emergent from the system.
In a shitty, limited AI system, every action has to be defined and scripted by the developer. They can't even be classified as game AI, just scripted events.

The difference between Oblivion and Skyrim is clear: where Oblivion gives the guards daily, monthly and yearly schedules, so that you can encounter some of them in the wilderness, either hunting deer or escorting the count to another city, Skyrim simply spawns a bunch of nameless generic guard NPCs out of thin air and deletes them once you leave the cell.
>>
File: 1441324078005.jpg (7 KB, 252x240) Image search: [Google]
1441324078005.jpg
7 KB, 252x240
>>324028113
No, I think you're the retarded one.
>>
>>324027865
>my post literally means nothing
>I love buzz words and hate fun
>>
>>324028158
There's no argument because you didn't even put forth something to argue with, you just told everyone you like eating shit, then pretended to speak for some silent majority and I simply corrected you.
>>
>>324028256
>I prefer the fantasy vibe,

You prefer generic Tolkien shit, because you are a pleb.

>better side quests

Literally 2 side quests were notable, which were all stuffed into the DB. Again as you said, matter of preference.

>less repetition present in Oblivion.

Sure love them oblivion gates and fort dungeons breh.
>>
File: annoyingWolf.jpg (586 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
annoyingWolf.jpg
586 KB, 1920x1080
>>324028308
Preach brother
>>
People defending Oblivion's combat are fucking delusional. Literally all you did was mash the attack button, and every enemy was a massive damage sponge. Don't you remember those two guards near Bruma who were always shooting each other in the dicks? They always had 500 arrows in the crotch before one finally died. Skyrim's combat may have been awful, but few enemies were sponges and none of them to the extent that Oblivion's enemies were.
>>
>>324028308
Question, how do you think the systems in Oblivion were developed in regards to AI? Do you think Todd just went near a PC and said "Hey AI, be smart!" without no developer input or scripting on their behalf?

Because the way it's worked in Skyrim is exactly how it worked in Oblivion. You would know this of course if you had ANY experience with their respective editors. But you don't and you're talking shit. The loudest people are those with the least experience regarding their topic of debate.
>>
File: PonderingHead01.png (4 KB, 324x271) Image search: [Google]
PonderingHead01.png
4 KB, 324x271
>>324028420
Refer to pic related to understand why you're failing at convincing me of anything.

The whole argument has its basis in the comparison between skyrim's combat and Oblivion's combat, in where anyone can see that Oblivion's combat was far more responsive than skyrim's.
It is not a plus to make the combat slow and tedious, which skyrim successfully does.
>>
>Skyrim's combat was better than oblivion's
Wait, is this an opinion that people actually hold?
When I first made a melee character in Skyrim, I was appalled to find out that every time you perform an attack, the game takes away your control and locks the camera and movement to the animation. I thought it was a bug or something. Literally every single time you do an attack, you can't move the camera anymore and have to watch the animation.
>>
>>324028308
It's funny how retarded you are and keep using the word scripted incorrectly. Every single modern AI in existence utilizes a state machine as a way of creating functional AI due to the sheer amount of differing game states and responses they have to have. For example, FEAR. At the base level all AI have pre-defined scripted behaviors, they just cobble actions together from these scripts and run them.

Oblivion also does the same thing as Skyrim because it's a cost-saving measure; you're not going to have all the guards in the world still existing as game objects because that's going to siphon up memory like nothing else. They're going to mildly simulate their schedules and then just spawn them if you go in an area they might be in.

Honestly you must be autistic or something since you seem to claim you know a lot about AI despite clearly not being a developer or programmer.
>>
>>324023048
>>324023625
>>324024361

None of this behavior is particularly dynamic or all that different from the AI behavior in Skyrim. The difference is that Skyrim's scripting was much cleaner and refined so that the unnecessary fluff was removed - they serve no purpose in the gameplay except to potentially break other scripts.
>>
Now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

You can call Oblivion Tolkien shit, I can call Skyrim a grey mess that's uninteresting to look at, uses a lot of the same assets, and tries too hard to achieve realism.

Even if only two side quests are memorable (I don't believe that's the case), that's two more than Skyrim. And on average the quests are simply better and more unique (instead of go to cave X, kill draugr, and get Y).

And as I said in my post one of the keys to enjoying Oblivion is recognizing that oblivion gates are shit. Just like how most of the dungeons in Skyrim are shit.
>>
>>324025387

That apple was scripted to kill an NPC if they were holding it, you can loot the apple afterwards.

As far as I know it doesn't work on all NPCs.
>>
>>324028721
But at least you can be done with the combat fairly quickly. In Oblivion you are committed to a five minutes of hacking and slashing to kill one bandit.
>>
>>324028721
>every single time you do an attack, you can't move the camera anymore and have to watch the animation.

But you can, why are you lying? What's the point?

>>324028693
No, only oblivious fools will think that the amateur hackjob that was oblivions real time attempt at combat was anywhere near passable. They tried to make an action RPG from the stat based one of Morrowind and failed with a weightless piece of shit system that offered literally no feedback. I don't even recall a stagger system being present in oblivion. You just whacked your Styrofoam bats at each other till the other fell over.
>>
>>324028256
>I prefer the fantasy vibe.
> To the Colovians, the ancestor worship and esoteric customs of the East can often be bizarre. Akaviri dragon-motifs are found in all quarters, from the high minaret bridges of the Imperial City to the paper hako skiffs that villagers use to wing their dead down the rivers. Thousands of workers ply the rice fields after the floodings, or clear the foliage of the surrounding jungle in the alternate seasons. Above them are the merchant-nobility, the temple priests and cult leaders, and the age-old aristocracy of the battlemages. The Emperor watches over them all from the towers of the Imperial City, as dragons circle overhead.
Reminds you of something? well not fucking Oblivion, that's for sure. Except that this is how Cyrodil was supposed to look like.
>>
>>324028472
>>324028930
>>
AAA devs are all about maximising profit, not making a better game than the last one. To sell games they've just got to make them look good, so all of the dev time and budget goes into showy features that are instantly noticeable (e.g. graphics) rather than subtle stuff you won't notice until you play for a while (a.i.)

Aint that some shit.
>>
>>324029009
What's your point? TES canon consistency and validity has been torn apart anyway, and I enjoyed the world that they ultimately created in Oblivion, so why should I give a shit about what it "should" have been.
>>
>>324028930
Not an exaggeration but ONE dungeon in skyrim has more detail and care put into it than 10 dungeons in oblivion. Please revisit oblivion, especially the caves, and see how remarkably empty they are. The only fucking detail would be a couple of crates.

Oblivion also had far more reused assets than skyrim, most of the cities in Oblvion looked exactly the same, being generic Medieval castles with high walls. At least the cities in skyrim (Read; cities, not villages) were unique, from Solitude to Markarth, and Riften to Whiterun. All unique architecture.
>>
>>324028680
They coded the AI in a way that would let the NPCs perform many actions with little programmer input. Which makes it a complex AI.
Skyrim's AI was dumbed down to let the programmers have more control and hand-code various behaviours.
>The loudest people are those with the least experience regarding their topic of debate.
Ironic that you're saying this, since it seems that a bit of experience with a castrated modding tool makes you an expert on game AI.
>>324028758
Keep arguing against points nobody made, makes you look desperate.
>Oblivion also does the same thing as Skyrim because it's a cost-saving measure; you're not going to have all the guards in the world still existing as game objects because that's going to siphon up memory like nothing else. They're going to mildly simulate their schedules and then just spawn them if you go in an area they might be in.
No, that's what Oblivion does. It simulates the actions of unique NPCs on macro levels and spawns them if you're in the same cell as them. The random encounter system from FO3 and Skyrim literally creates NPCs out of thin air just for you to kill or interact with. Those NPCs never existed in the game prior to you entering the cell and they're deleted after you leave.

Either you haven't played both games or you're dumb.
>>
>>324028818
In Oblivion's example we have an AI that attempts to acquire an item using a dynamic "thought-process", if it can't acquire food, it'll attempt to steal it, resulting in its death should it fail.
Whereas it can be avoided if you present the item it wants to acquire.
That's dynamic, in skyrim, it'll happen regardless of what you do to the environment.
Rogvir will always die regardless of you killing the guards around him, because he's scripted to die there, he doesn't attempt to flee, he'll just sit in a corner calling for help until someone goes up and one-shots him.
>>
File: 1385734311595.jpg (452 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1385734311595.jpg
452 KB, 1440x900
>>324028680
oh FFS.

I'm not him, but A, I've spent years modding TES, and I also work for a game studio so I have some form of a valid experience on the matter.

Yes, both games run on scripts and both have versions of the radiant AI. The point is, skyrim moved towards Radiant events, specific triggered sequences that get spawned into the world simply by the player being there.

Oblivion had things happening because of the NPCs (generally more detailed) scheduling, and because they had certain abilities that were taken out of skyrim - such as the ability to steal from other NPCs if they wanted something but didn't have it in their inventory. The driving factor for that, responsibility, was completely removed in skyrim. And when eating, instead of first checking their inventory for food like in oblivion, in skyrim an animation just gets played. This is why in oblivion there's poison apples and in skyrim you can't do things like that. It's these kind of dynamic things that this thread is about.
>>
>>324027043
just cause skyrim's combet is shit, doesnt mean it not true.
>>
>>324029001
>You just whacked your Styrofoam bats at each other till the other fell over.
As opposed to the drunken combat that is skyrim's attempt at realism?
It's never been about arguing either of them being good, it's been about which is the most shit. And skyrim takes a significant lead in that regard.
>inb4 not it isn't
refer to >>324027659
>>
>>324029009
I'm not >>324028256, but am I the only one who thought the Cyrodil jungle retcon was actually pretty based? So okay the Akaviri are Asian-inspired right? Why would the entire providence of Cyrodiil have to include their cultural hallmarks? Especially since they've been out of power for a few centuries by the first games in the Third Era?

Just because the Akaviri were fucking nips doesn't mean that the Colovians and Nibenese have to be fucking rice farmers and live in a virtual Ho-Chi-Minh trail until 400 years post Tiber Septim. The culture and look of the Imperial province fits with the way Imperial culture was portrayed in Daggerfall and and in a lot of the lore in in-game books. (Rislav the Righteous, etc.) Who cares if a "jungle" suddenly became a forest? What idea of a capital fits the Septim Empire better?
>>
>>324027876
>
Stopped reading there
>>
You're seriously underestimating the amount of detail that's present in Oblivion. But regardless, I'll take Oblivion over Skyrim any day because the detail that does exist is relatively unique. In Skyrim the detail that you speak of is copy and pasted elements that repeat in essentially the same order.

Your second argument is cherry picking. The cities/towns in Skyrim are hardly more unique than those in Oblivion. And everything else in Oblivion (dungeons, which were handcrafted, the countryside, ruins, houses) is far more unique and interesting.
>>
>>324029304
>skyrim cities more unique than Oblivion
Bad opinion warning.

I only remember three Skyrim cities: riften, which is pathetically small for a capital, whiterun where the game's main antagonist lives and markarth, because it had an entire retarded, broken questline full of plot holes about it.

Oblivion had the imperial city, obviously, the snowy bruma, run down bravil, skingrad with the vampire count, anvil with the coast, cheydinhal with the dark brotherhood, etc.
Leyavinn was quite unmemorable, though. I only remember the colorful houses.
>>
>>324029328
>They coded the AI in a way that would let the NPCs perform many actions with little programmer input. Which makes it a complex AI.
Skyrim's AI was dumbed down to let the programmers have more control and hand-code various behaviours.

How do you know this since you have NO experience with the modding tools or the development of oblivion? How do you know any of this? Hearsay? Are their voices in your head?

The scripts for certain behaviors were STILL there because things can't exist in a vacuum with development, it NEEDS the attention of a developer or else it wont exist, let alone work.

The reason skyrim went with more complex scripts instead of shallow, broken system that oblivion used is that you could get more apparent results and see the actions of NPCs.

The way oblivion handled it is that the NPCs were given scripts and then lazily chucked into the world, it wasn't complex at all, just a complete lack of care on the developers behalf where they thought "Meh, that's enough in the AI department".
>>
I want all of you faggots praising Oblivion's radiant AI to go replay it right now without any mods.

Oblivion's AI was a joke even on release and the amount of dynamism it had was absolutely laughable, especially because there were so few objective for each character shared amount all characters.
>>
>>324029304
>>324029764
>>
>>324029775
>Whiterun where the game's main antagonist lives
Explain yourself.
>>
>>324028693
>The whole argument has its basis [...]
> [...] Oblivion's combat was far more responsive than skyrim's.
>[...] slow and tedious, which skyrim successfully does

No, the problem is that you don't know what the words responsive and tedious means, probably due to the same mental disability that prevents you from seeing the irony of accusing me of posting my opinions as facts while you do that exact thing.

Oblivion has the most floaty combat known to man. It's the opposite of responsive, because when you press a key, there's no response beyond an animation playing that is completely unchanged regardless of if your character is floating in space or hitting a Daedra. Your character reacting instantly when you press a buttonduring an idle/cancellable frame isn't called "responsive combat", it's called "functional controls".
And I'm at the point where I think you're just baiting when you call Skyrim tedious when compared to Oblivion, the game where every trashmob scaled up to ensure that they where HP sponges at every level.
>>
>>324029845
And I want you to go play skyrim without mods.

Skyrim's AI was a joke even on release and the amount of dynamism it had was absolutely laughable, especially because there were so few objective for each character shared amount all characters.
>>
>>324029247
>I enjoyed the world that they ultimately created in Oblivion

I just wanted to point out why a lot of people are unhappy with Oblivion's setting.

There are hundreds of RPGs set in your average Tolkien universe, Bethesda showed that they were capable of creating such an interesting and completely alien world in Morrowind and they wasted all of their potential with Oblivion because muh Lord of the Rings.

One of the few good things in Skyrim is that when they fleshed out the lore of the Dwemer they actually managed to keep it unique.
>>
>>324029796
There's no point to arguing with these retards, anon. They've clearly never actually worked with AI development, they're just spewing buzzwords randomly arranged hoping it makes sense. Kinda like Oblivion's Radiant AI in terms of how it worked.
>>
File: 1433608148558.jpg (26 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1433608148558.jpg
26 KB, 480x480
>>324029764
>And everything else in Oblivion (dungeons, which were handcrafted, the countryside, ruins, houses) is far more unique and interesting.

So the dungeons in skyrim weren't handcrafted? What?

Ok, fuck this argument. You are a confirmed child.
>>
>>324024426
Skyrim is god tier compared to Witcher 3 anon.
>>
>>324029973
How about you stop trying to shift the argument to Skyrim and instead talk about Oblivion?

Because Oblivion is still shit even in a void where Skyrim never came out. Now go be a good Bethesda cockgobbler and play Oblivion.
>>
>>324030141
>compare oblivion and skyrim to one another
>noooh stop talking about skyrim!
weow.
>>
>>324029950
The entire civil war conflict was pulled out the ass.
The moment you get any exposition about the civil war, you immediately realize that Ulfric is the bad guy in all of this.

Unless you count the personality-less, zero presence end-game boss alduin as the main antagonist.
>>
File: 1442528902074.jpg (35 KB, 267x274) Image search: [Google]
1442528902074.jpg
35 KB, 267x274
What a fucking bait thread. Oblivion fans everybody, full fucking retard.
>>
File: 1420157982593.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1420157982593.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
>I-if he dislikes Oblivion he must be the same anon who compared Oblivion to Skyrim!
>>
>>324023048
>dynamic ability
>within their scheduling
No they didn't. They had a very strict schedule and followed it no matter what unless they were in combat. There was no "dynamic ability"
>>
>>324029796
It seems that everything I've said simply flew over your head.

I'll make one last point.
The difference between Oblivion and Skyrim is that Oblivion had a system where NPCs made decisions based on their schedules and "personalities". It was a dynamic system that resulted in emergent behaviour.
Skyrim had a system where NPCs didn't do much unless an action was explicitly defined by the developers. It was a system where NPCs performed actions from a pre-determined set of events as a direct reaction to player input.
>>
>>324023048
My bet would be that AI is expensive, CPU wise.

If it's a feature that not enough players notice, or care about, then they likely made the decision to remove it so that they could either:
A) Use the CPU cycles for something else
or
B) Simply not have to worry about making it and use employee man hours to produce something else.
or
C) Not produce anything else, put the game out faster, and lower development costs
>>
>>324030060
They were copy and pasted. You can call them handcrafted if you want but ultimately the argument I'm making is that Oblivion dungeons inspire more of a sense of exploration because they're actually unique and don't reuse the same assets and enemies over and over.

Do you seriously disagree with that? That's most people's primary complaint about Skyrim and it's evident after only a few hours of playing.
>>
File: 1451323704472.gif (3 MB, 350x235) Image search: [Google]
1451323704472.gif
3 MB, 350x235
I'm familiar with Bethesda games, but I haven't played Oblivion. Should I get it? Is it actually worth playing and exploring?
>>
File: drew.jpg (24 KB, 488x406) Image search: [Google]
drew.jpg
24 KB, 488x406
>Thread is supposed to be about life-like AI in games.
>People are talking about shitty the combat in the TES games
>>
>>324030005
Excellent point, I understand the disappointment from that perspective. However, if you're comparing it to Skyrim's world and art style I don't think that Oblivion is any more generic, less creative, or more of a cop-out.
>>
>>324030729
A reminder that Oblivion had 50 million Ayleid Ruin dungeons that were all copy and paste jobs.
>>
>>324030750
Yeah, There is a lot of depth to the game.
It might be hard getting used to though due to art style looking kind of outdated and everything is glossy as fuck. But that's what mods are for.

You'll have a good time either way.
>>
>>324030750
If you enjoyed playing Skyrim and fallouts, then yes.
>>
>>324030750
Get Oblivion XP, OOO and maybe Oblivion character overhaul version 1 (version 2 sucks).
Maybe some armor/weapon content pack that adds shit to the loot tables.

There are heavier mods, but they can be a pain in the ass to install or can break shit.
I think TES general on /vg/ has a website with mod descriptions if you're feeling brave.
>>
>>324030931
You can avoid those (along with oblivion gates) and still find plenty of interesting and unique areas to explore in Oblivion.

If you avoid the draugr and dwemer dungeons in Skyrim (very repetitive, use the same assets and enemies over and over) you pretty much have nothing left.
>>
>>324030750
If you've played either Morrowind, Skyrim, or both, don't bother. If you haven't, or you've got a serious itch for more of the same, but worse, consider getting it during a sale.
>>
>>324030217
I think you meant Windhelm, but that's whatever.

I thought it was interesting that the game portrayed the historic cultural capital of Skyrim as pile of burning tires. Established meme-level racism (to the point where it was economically disadvantageous to the city), city walls that are literally falling apart, and burial markers for famous Nord heroes that people just pass by and NEVER mention at all. Even the fact that the Palace of Kings is a standing, surviving piece of Atmoran architecture is never mentioned in game. What the fuck?

I never gave any thought the Ulfric being the ultimate bad guy of the game, over Alduin. Interesting theory. I thought of Ulfric as a necessary evil. His rebelliion galvanized an Empire to be more pro-active in dealing with internal and external affairs with the Thalmor. His death was justified.
>>
>>324030729
Are you sure you're not mixing up Oblivion and Skyrim in this argument? I really don't know if you're trolling.

I even stated above that oblivion had one level designer whereas Skyrim had 8 or more.

Ok look, go back to Oblivion and try to find a dungeon equal to Blackreach, Ustengrav or Hircines werewolf lair. Until then, I'll assume you're trolling or mentally ill.

>>324030593
The difference is you have no idea what you're talking about because you have no experience with the systems but I do. There is a very solid reason bethesda scrapped the system and that more people are willing to put up with skyrim longer than they did with oblivion. And that most oblivion modders transferred over to skyrim than they've ever done from morrowind to oblviion. Because oblvion was shit compared to morrowind, but Skyrim was a direct step up.

I'll give you this, Oblivion is a great entry game into open world RPGs for teenagers, that's when I liked it most, but playing it now years later and I can see all the complaints were very real.
>>
>>324031110
So you're admitting then that Oblivion has copy and paste dungeons despite your earlier argument that they're unique.
>>
>>324030750
If you're a faggot, believe this guy
>>324031148
If you're not play the game for yourself and make your own judgements. At worst it's slightly below Morrowind and Skyrim, at best it's slightly better than both.
>>
>>324031110
Every dungeon in Oblvion was copypasted, fuck, the oblivion/ayleid dungeons look like fucking marvels compared to your average cave/fort system in Oblivion. So what are you supposed to do? Avoid every dungeon?
>>
>>324031258
>The difference is you have no idea what you're talking about because you have no experience with the systems but I do
>Let me make no arguments for my case and make a point that nobody was arguing about
Whatever dude.
>>
>>324031001
I'd add lore friendly version of MMM with OOO compatibility to that.

OOO + MMM (and extra NPC mods like adventures and travelers) creates so much world interaction. There's always something happening.
>>
>>324031338
>If you're not play the game for yourself and make your own judgements.

Yeah, I'm sure that's why he was asking if they're worth playing, you mongoloid. Because he wanted people to tell him that he should just buy them and see for himself.
>>
>>324031279
No, I'm admitting that it has some copy and pasted elements compared to Skyrim which has mostly copy and pasted elements.

If I didn't speak in generalities it would take twice as long to explain the same thing.
>>
>>324031258
>Oblivion attracted more modders than morrowind could ever hope to
>That's somehow a point against Oblivion
Ok dude.
There were a lot more mods in oblivion that changed some fundamental aspect of the game anyway. Skyrim's seem tame by comparison.
>>
>>324029009
Yes and the jungle was a retcon in itself.
>>
>>324031521
Often that's the best answer, and I still provided a judgement that he can base his decision on (at worst it's slightly worse, at best it's slightly better).

I think that's a better approach than saying "hurr durr don't even try playing this game that lots of people like just because I don't personally like it."
>>
File: 1448139410507.jpg (108 KB, 570x720) Image search: [Google]
1448139410507.jpg
108 KB, 570x720
>>324023048
>actually praising Oblivion's artificial "Intelligence"
>>
What's a good combat mod for oblivion?
I don't want ebin new animations or flashy effects, but something that balances it to be more deadly.
Sort of a "make a mistake and you're dead, land a good hit and you've won" sort of stuff.
>>
>>324031398
Maybe it's because I mostly only played heavily moded Oblivion, but that wasn't my experience at all. Over half of the dungeons I entered seemed unique compared to practically none in moded Skyrim.
>>
>>324031828
>I didn't even read OP and am just shitposting, don't mind me
>>
>>324031621
>Frostfall
>Etac
>Interesting NPCs
>Duel
>Ultimate combat
>Perma
>Ordinator
>Lights and effects
>ENB (MUCH better one than in oblivion)
>Falskaar
>Wyrmstooth
>Beyond Reach
>Wheels of lull
>Helgen reborn
>Forgotten city

>Tame

Every mod I listed is of a much higher quality and less bug ridden than every Oblivion mod too.
>>
File: herstory.png (616 KB, 572x674) Image search: [Google]
herstory.png
616 KB, 572x674
>>324031828
>>324027824
>>324024156
>Oblivion's AI is shit guys
>doesn't give better games as example.
>>
>>324031621
Also I meant that most morrowind modders stayed with morrowind and didn't even bother to transfer over to that garbage game Oblivion. Very similar thing has happened with Skyrim and Fallout 4.
>>
Oblivion is easily the worst TES game. I feel like I'm one of the last people on this board that's 20 or older and without a leddit account
>>
File: 1415660788790.jpg (7 KB, 168x192) Image search: [Google]
1415660788790.jpg
7 KB, 168x192
>>324032017
>>324032105
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoKl98C_w-s
Also notice the hobo with the daedric axe at 3:00, that's Oblivion's weapon scaling for you.

And here's a bonus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMiu4j9xvQ
>>
>>324032320
>older than 20
>calls on "redditers"

I don't believe you
>>
I was once leaving a dungeon in Oblivion and saw the countess of leyawin and her guard fighting two bears in the woods.
The bears killed the guard and were now killing the countess. She pulled out a dagger and started poking one of the bears to death.
She killed one, but the other one got her. But since she was essential, she only fell unconscious. But the bear was waiting on top of her.
The moment she woke up, the bear would hit her and she'd fall down again.
That went on for a while until she managed to poke the bear enough times to kill it.

I've never seen anything like that happening in skyrim, ever.

Also, I once destroyed the city of bravil by attacking a random NPC. The NPCs I had high social links with came to my defence and started attacking the guards. The whole city was involved in a huge brawl after a while, with people accidentally hitting each other and triggering combat. In the end, the guards wiped out everyone and the city was empty save for the essential characters.
>>
>>324032538
See how weightless the attacks are as well, like with no regards to momentum or balance, the animations of attacks seem to be entirely separate to your entire posture.
>>
>>324032315
Then how come Oblivion has more modders than morrowind ever had?
>>
>>324032105
>Being this retarded
It doesn't matter how Complex you think Oblivion's AI is, it still doesn't accomplish what it's supposed to do. The AI is supposed to emulate a living, breathing world but the only thing it emulates is a madhouse.

Every game that has a working AI has a better AI than Oblivion.
>>
>>324032538
>NPCs actually interact with each other and do unexpected things
>bad AI
>NPCs stand in one corner all day and don't do shit except go to their houses at 9 PM
>good AI
Skyrimtards everyone.
>>
>Skyrim is old enough and talked about little enough in popular culture that /v/ is now comfortable defending it

Time sure does move quickly
>>
>>324032105
Literally any game that has vaguely functional AI has better AI than Oblivion by default.
>>
>>324026620
Go back to fucking reddit.
>>
>>324024275

nobody had the oblivion ai before it was gutted, it was just todd reading some design document while video played of a scripted sequence
>>
>>324032913
>The AI is supposed to emulate a living, breathing world
False.
The only thing it's supposed to do in a video game is entertain the player.
And oblivion AI is far more entertaining than skyrim's talking statues.
>>
>>324033042
>oh shit they called me out and im a fucking idiot
>>
>>324030890
Opening a thread about AI with a TES game was not a good idea.
>>
>>324032538
>weapon scaling has to do with AI
>>
>>324033015
>town guards murdering civilians and then killing each other
EPIKK WINNN
>>
>>324033189
>I've decided to defend the shittiest AI in history and all I have are these movable goalposts!
>>
>>324033146
>this is the new CRPG audience
cancer.
>>
>>324033313
>>town guards murdering civilians and then killing each other
There are people on this website, nay, on this planet, who read the above sentence and think "that sounds like no fun at all, I'd hate that to happen in a video game".

I guess it hurts your """""""""""""""immersion"""""""""""""""""
>>
>>324023048
Creatures AI was an emotional experience for me as a kid. It was surreal watching the entire life of one that started out as a shitbag and reformed himself into a hero against the jungle monster before taking his wife across the world then sending their only son off to the old home after she died and just waiting for death in his garden by her body. Rip in peace, Red.
>>
>>324033146
>Denying the fact that Radiant AI is designed purposefully to recreate a believable world.

What's the point of arguing if you are just going to lie?
>>
>>324033463
Honestly, what's even fun about it? Nothing. It's as fun as Skyrim's dull random enemy encounters.
>>
>>324033015
I'm not even defending Skyrim kek, I love how defensive you are. I'd rather have scripted NPC's like in the Witcher 3 who take shelter when it rains and go inside when it's nighttime than some "dynamic" AI that makes NPC's look like retards.
Here's another bonus video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVAYY5LHhv4
>>
>>324028943
No people definitely ate in Oblivion and Skyrim. They would take food from their pockets and eat it. That always bothered me though, people usually don't keep food in their pockets all day to sit at their dining table amd eat it.
>>
>>324033413
Im not even the guy you were arguing with. You stated oblivions AI was shit in a thread with multiple pros and cons to the AI then couldnt name a single fucking game with a better AI system. You're a fucking idiot then after moving your goalpost and me calling you out you try to say I'm moving goalposts (because you saw somebody else do it but don't actually understand the term) when I was never involved in your stupid fucking arguement.
>>
>>324033457
I wouldn't really call Skyrim or modern Fallout games a CRPG.
>>
>>324033501
Who cares what it's designed for?
What matters is what it accomplishes.
>>324033553
You can cast "Rage" and have the whole city go into a murdering rampage.
You can steal all of the food from someone's house and put a single poisoned apple on their table.
You can make NPCs wear a hat that causes 1 fire damage every second.
>>
>>324033782
That doesn't sound very fun.
>>
>>324033290
>d-don't criticize my game please s-stay on topic
>>
>>324023048
It's nice when developers add hard-to-notice features, but the fact is most players won't notice them, therefore it's wasted development time.

If I were a developer, I would only want to invest time into features most players would get something out of. Games of yore used to be made for enthusiasts, but the entry level is so low now that games are developed for players that don't often complete games at all.
>>
>>324028943
Bullshit.
I've had NPCs live for fucking months after I reverse pickpocketed an apple into their inventory, they'd just go eat at the tavern or some shit.
It was infuriating.
>>
>>324033782
>Someone proved that I'm wrong
>lmao who cares it's funny XDXDXD
>>
File: yea.jpg (3 KB, 116x125) Image search: [Google]
yea.jpg
3 KB, 116x125
>>324032538
>>324032913
>>324033042
>No example of better AI in another game
good job proving my point
>>
>>324034005
Proved me wrong about what?
About Oblivion AI being fun?
That's kind of subjective, don't you think?
>>
>>324026620
There's going to be skyrim nostalgia threads when the next mainline TES game comes out you know.
>>
>>324033885
>im a fucking idiot who tries to prove oranges are oranges by saying they're not apples
>>
File: 1452306904165.png (109 KB, 298x332) Image search: [Google]
1452306904165.png
109 KB, 298x332
>>324033654
So according to yourself, you entered an argument you ostensibly didn't care about, then when your flimsy bait post was torn to shreds you decided to randomly get incredibly buttblasted.
You should consider rethinking the life choices that led you to this point, Anon.
>>
>>324033501
Im not the original guy but in what fucking way does radiant AI create a believable world? Are we talking about how 6 NPCs will stand around a house hitting it with a hammer every day forever and do nothing else and the house will never change?
>>
>>324034186
/v/ already praises Skyrim at every opportunity, despite it getting shit on upon release.
>>
>>324032538
Not the people you've replied to but you've still not given any examples of better games.
>>
File: ce_preview2.jpg (1 MB, 1762x1008) Image search: [Google]
ce_preview2.jpg
1 MB, 1762x1008
>>324023048
I know I'm late but this reminded me of something.

About a year ago I was working on a huge NWN mod. The big thing this mod brought to the table was procedurally-generated city populations, so anywhere you went in a city you'd be surrounded by completely unique NPCs with different names, personalities and levels of violence.

The city had a base crime rate that determined the chance that a new NPC spawned would be a violent criminal. We had modifier nodes for certain neighborhoods to raise or lower the crime rate, so you're much more likely to be mugged in the ghetto than in richville. We also made the crime rate dynamic. It would increase or decrease depending on certain factors like civilians or guards getting murdered.

One time while playtesting this I sat on a bench in the town square for ten minutes just watching NPCs go about their lives. At one point a few thugs spawned and managed to murder a guard. This increased the crime rate, so more thugs spawned as more guards ran in for backup.

Gradually a full-blown riot began to unfold as an entire gang of violent thugs waged war on the guards with innocent civilians running for cover. This went on for a full 5 minutes before the guards finally pacified the situation and crime returned to normal. About 45 NPCs got killed in the riot.

The mod sadly got discontinued by the project leader, but I've always wanted to see something like that happen in AAA open-world games, where you can just sit n a bench and see chaos unfold without your involvement.
>>
File: 2014-02-24_00002.jpg (534 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2014-02-24_00002.jpg
534 KB, 1920x1080
>>324032671
>when half the city ends up in a street fight

Wacky shit like that is why oblivion is still dear to me
>>
>>324026287
Are you retarded? You realise literally all logic boils down to binary choices, right?
>>
>>324034218
>i can try to twist this to make me less of a faggot
No i saw you post something fucking stupid and nothing you say will change how fucking stupid it was. Keep going though
>>
File: 1451877631647.gif (1 MB, 430x342) Image search: [Google]
1451877631647.gif
1 MB, 430x342
>>324034190
Why are you so hostile? Are you defending Oblivion's weapon and armor scaling?
>>
>>324034116
oh, since you are apparently brain damaged I'll write you a summary.

Some guy is defending Oblivion's AI
Me: Oblivion's ai is bad because it doesn't accomplish what it's designed for: emulaing a realistic world
You:No, that was not what Oblivion's Ai is for.
Me: Yes it is.
You: HWO CREAS ITS FUNNY THE WAY IT IS XDXDDD

I'm not talking about Oblivion's AI not being fun, I'm talking about it being a broken mess.
>>
File: disgusted nico.jpg (432 KB, 1067x1009) Image search: [Google]
disgusted nico.jpg
432 KB, 1067x1009
>people are nostalgic for Oblivion now
>and people will be nostalgic for Skyrim when the new elderscrolls comes out

kill me senpai...
>>
We still don't have AI where I would be decked in the best armor and weapon, my companion in a hand me down but still high quality second best armor and weapon, and nearby bandits/raiders would take one loom at us and go "You know what lads? Maybe we should let this one go"

No we still have guckers in fur loin cloth and an iron knife thinking they can take on a guy in full demonic armor.
>>
>>324034470
>Umbra
Good taste
>>
>>324034063
The enemy AI in FEAR, there happy?
>>
>>324034562
>You:No, that was not what Oblivion's Ai is for.
Link me to where I said this.

Do you always argue against imaginary statements when you can't win a real argument?
>>
>>324034391
The point is that it does NOT create a believable world because it doesn't work.
>>
>>324034585
10 year anniversary this year, and the majority of people on here will be 18 to 25.

Why shouldn't they have nostalgia for it?
>>
>>324034548
>hamster poster being a hamster poster
>>
>>324034404
Are you new? On release everyone loved Skyrim...for that week until its flaws became apparent.Then it was relentlessly bashed and everyone who does talk about it is talking about mods.

Oblivion though? That was fucking awful from day 1, but now kids born in 2000 are trying to force it as this nostalgic masterpiece
>>
>>324034664
>combat AI
It's obviously superior, but that not what were're discussing here anon, we're talking about npc's "daily life" AI
>>
>>324034681
>The AI is supposed to emulate a living, breathing world
>False.
The only thing it's supposed to do in a video game is entertain the player.

note that I wrote THE AI as in the AI i was talking about before, not any AIin general.
>>
>>324034687
>moving the goalposts this hard
You are the only one in this thread who has ever brought up "creating a believable world".
>>
>>324034874
And that relates to it being good/bad AI how exactly?
>>
>>324034063
Here, I'll take the bait and even go one step further and provide three.

-Deus Ex
-Starcraft
-Morrowind

You'll notice that what the AI in these three not terribly similar games has in common is that in all of them, NPCs and enemies manage to accomplish their tasks without randomly getting themselves killed without any input from the player, by virtue of which they manage to edge out Oblivion's AI by a solid margin.
>>
>>324034585
To be fair, it came out 10 years ago. Nostalgia doesn't really have a set limit either, unless your definition of nostalgia is strictly within the "nostalgia = retro games" context.
>>
File: 2015-06-29_00003.jpg (167 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-06-29_00003.jpg
167 KB, 1366x768
>>324030750
Oblivion's mods are pretty rad.
>>
>>324035129
Still missing the point >>324034865 made anon.
>>
>>324035038
Because it doesn't accomplish its goal and is broken as fuck?
>>
>>324034548
>why do you call me an idiot for being an idiot
>is it because you're gay?
Go back to your fucking hugbox you stupid piece of shit
>>
>>324035354
It accomplishes the goal of being fun to interact with.
>>
>>324034687
Alright im the guy you replied to i thought you were saying skyrims and fo4s ai was better because it made it "believable" when it obviously doesn't.
>>
>>324023048
I liked that stealing thing in oblivion, but it didn't happen nearly enough. You could play through the game without even seeing it happen.
Also would be cool if they could steal from the player, which they couldn't if I remember correctly.
>>
>>324035298
>Morrowind

I specifically picked it because I knew you would try to move the goalposts like this, and guess what, I was fucking right.
>>
>>324034865
Oblivion's "daily life" AI failed to accomplished what it was meant do. Just because it's one of the few games that does NPC AI doesn't necessarily mean it's good, hell it gave the exact opposite of what Bethesda wanted to accomplished; Oblivion's NPC's became famous because of their stupidity, you can find countless of videos mocking them.

You're also asking me to name games that have good NPC AI, but I can't give you any, because most developers don't bother to do it. But just because bethesda bothers to do it doesn't mean it's good.
>>
>Oblivions AI is good!
>Guards are psychic and can tell when you steal a fork even when you're sneaking and burst into the house to arrest you

Oblivion kids are fucking retarded.
>>
>>324034874
You're wrong, it was their intention to create "a living breathing world" as Todd Howard said it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbx6-KQoRg
>>
>>324035649
I'll accept Morrowind if you can support your claim with evidence.
>>
>>324034861
>oblivion was jated while it was out
You weren't even here 4 years ago let alone before that stop pretending like you fucking were. People loved oblivion when it came out and the shivering isles expansion made everybody shit their pants. It is the single reason Bethesda is as big in the game industry as it is. There was a phase where only console gamers spoke out on the topic and trashed oblivion for like less than a year then the mods got big and everybody loved it again till skyrim.
>>
>>324028818
>they serve no purpose
How about simulating a believable reactive world, the holy grail of RPGs?
>>
>>324035836
A living breathing world full of lunatics.

I'll take it because it was fun to see the NPCs doing strange things.
>>
File: 1398565451682.jpg (62 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1398565451682.jpg
62 KB, 640x480
>>324035370
Someone's mad.
>>
>>324035813
>getting caught stealing
What a fucking scrub
>>
>>324035836
>believing Todd Howard
That was your first mistake.
>>
>>324035836
That's what I was saying, i just failed at quoting the guy i was replying to. My bad.
>>324035434
That's not what its goal was. Are you actually retarded?
>>324035527
Note how I never mentioned Skytim and Fo4. And no, I don't think Skyrim and Fo4's AI make their game believable.
>>
>>324035885
My claim is supported by the lack of known instances of Morrowind NPCs regularly getting themselves killed due to fucked up AI interactions, whereas in Oblivion this was not only possible, but in fact had a reasonable chance of happening, as per even the OP's admission.
>>
>>324036224
Literally nobody was arguing what the AI's goal was other than you.
Retard.
>>
>>324036224
I couldnt track who the fuck was arguing what in yalls shit mess
>>
>>324035976
Stop trying to rewrite history you utter scum reddit child. I can vividly remember the mockery and derision in every single Oblivion thread. People used to post oblvion as a fucking troll, that's how bad it was.

You are literally the worst type of scum, the type that try to change details of history to fulfill your own narrative.

THE ONLY THING that was praised in oblivion was SI and Nehrim. You know I really wish we still had the archives, because I can remember my post when skyrim was released "People are going to start praising oblivion now", lo and behold, cretins like you emerge.
>>
>>324036320
People were arguing that oblivion's AI was good, I said that it's not because it doesn't accomplish its goal and is overall a broken mess. also, to quote:
>The only thing it's supposed to do in a video game is entertain the player
>It accomplishes the goal of being fun to interact with.
>>
>>324036642
>People were arguing that oblivion's AI was good
>I said that it's not because it doesn't accomplish its goal
Doesn't follow.
>>
>>324035976
>I'll just post some absolute bullshit I made up and hope nobody posted here before I came over from reddit in 2014!

The only things related to Oblivion that /v/ didn't hate from day one were Shivering Isles, Nehrim and waifu/nude/rape mods, and even then, the former two were mostly relegated to obscure Elder Scrolls generals.
>>
File: untitled6852.png (30 KB, 471x295) Image search: [Google]
untitled6852.png
30 KB, 471x295
Can we all agree Runescape has the best world and more to explore.
>>
>>324036496
>Stop trying to rewrite history you utter scum reddit child. I can vividly remember the mockery and derision in every single Oblivion thread. People used to post oblvion as a fucking troll, that's how bad it was.

This is entirely true.

You're having a silly discussion you two, in that there were obviously people out there who loved Oblivion all along.

The /v/ consensus however definitely used to be "What is this LOTR ripoff, where's my jungle, what the fuck is up with these balloon heads, the game is a joke". For the longest time, really.

I even remember a time when Halo was massively hated and I find it kind of funny how I have to type "even". It was a normal, status quo opinion that Halo is a stupid console shooter and that gamepads are for cripples.
>>
>>324036719
If your laptop overheated every time you tried using it but made for a great frying pan would you still think it's a good Laptop?

I can't call something that doesn't fulfill the specific purpose it was created for good.
That's my point.
>>
>>324036876
Is it so wrong that I just want them to release 06' scape as single package for like £10-20 with user hosted servers and just shove like steams VAC on it or some shit, with modded servers having seperate characters to your normal one.
>>
>>324036876
?
>>
>>324037196
Your post doesn't fulfil the specific purpose of making a good argument.
>>
File: 1439394370897.png (104 KB, 357x362) Image search: [Google]
1439394370897.png
104 KB, 357x362
>>324037226
No it's not wrong it's just business if you can get your hand on a server file for the older version of the game and host a private server for the truly solo experience.

They'll never get involved with steam because they're so stingy with the $
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.