[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
virtuix omni
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10
File: Virtuix_Omni_Skyrim_(cropped).jpg (45 KB, 466x662) Image search: [Google]
Virtuix_Omni_Skyrim_(cropped).jpg
45 KB, 466x662
can we talk a little about this thing?

i feel the ability to move in vr while not tripping over the cord is possibly an understated problem.

there aren't many practical solutions to the problem. most people don't just have a room to wander around with an overhead cable pulley.

what's more is if i'm going to be seated, i may just go back to the desktop and say fuck dealing with a headset.

this thing is affordable, about as much as a standing desk. it's space friendly. it reeks of practicality.

i haven't used it tho. and if it doesn't work good, it may as well not exist.

what are all your thoughts on active vr?
>>
File: vr treadmill.webm (2 MB, 400x660) Image search: [Google]
vr treadmill.webm
2 MB, 400x660
>sliding your feet around
>>
>>323816197
yeah basically I think treadmills are loud, expensive, power hungry, heavy and entirely impractical for basically anybody.

if sliding doesn't work, active vr is doomed to be anything more than a niche of a niche inside of a niche where rich old men.
>>
>>323816452
>impractical for basically anybody
>>
>>323815843
>>323816197
I'm on board with the headsets, but these machines look clunky as fuck and 20 years from now once we have better technology people will look back and think "what the fuck were they thinking?"
>>
>>323815843
Kind of pointless since vr games are also going to require you to crouch and crawl
>>323816701
This, can't wait till it hits "just like my Japanese animes" levels.
>>
>>323816701
VR treadmills are about where VR headsets were 20 years ago. Goofy and completely impractical.
>>
>>323816673
yes traditional treadmills are impractical inside your home.

they're loud, heavy, energy consuming pieces of shit. and omnidirectional versions are expensive as fuck.

>>323816701
yeah but that's the whole point. headsets alone ain't shit and problematic. we NEED active vr. if this thing doesn't work, what will?

pls no paraplegic gimp responses
>>
>>323817051
>problematic

Get out.
>>
>>323816913
>require you to crouch and crawl
that's a way distant secondary issue that be done with the controller. getting up and moving and avoiding cord tangling issues is a primary first issue.
>>
VR is a dumb meme that I'll enjoy seeing die for a second time.
>>
>>323817263
>buttmad game dev who designed his game around an xbone controller
kill yourself idiot
>>
I saw it on Shark Tank, only one of the sharks tried it - I think it was Herjavek. He didn't grasp it, so they didn't make an offer. I think that was so short sighted, this device is patented.
>>
>>323817051
We don't need "active vr". You need to just cope with the fact we don't have a good solution for body movement in vr yet and just sit your ass down and enjoy the fact you can move your hands in it.
>>
>>323817589
>just sit your ass down

sorry but i'm interested in vr beyond a glorified jerkoff machine
>>
>>323817716
But anon, that is literally the whole point of vr.
>>
>>323818695
>the whole point of vr is waifu cancer
nice reality, vrtards
>>
>>323815843
>$600+ for a VR headset
>$700+ for a treadmill type machine
>$900+ PC to run
Fuck VR.
>>
File: Oculus Rift best use.webm (672 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Oculus Rift best use.webm
672 KB, 1280x720
>>323818910
>>
File: PT during the day.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
PT during the day.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>
>>323819895
This is actually cool, can finally couch co-op Halo 5 now.
>>
>>323819861
consider that the treadmill could theoretically replace the cost of a desk+chair

>excuse me while i access my desktop on my treadmill with my voice activated typing and motion controller mouse
>>
File: 15503925_7.jpg (15 KB, 360x306) Image search: [Google]
15503925_7.jpg
15 KB, 360x306
We'll never really get over the mobility issue until we have something that takes over the nervous system, and I can't imagine people going along with it even if it were feasible.
>>
>>323820951
as long as I got to go sword and sorcery or space opera during leisure time, I would 100% be willing to sign my body over to an automated computer
>>
>>323816673
now that i think about it, vr could cater to the fitness industry. make using a treadmill more appealing so you aren't just staring at a wall or a TV, you are taking a jog through a VR park, where you can jog anywhere you want
>>
>>323820195
That stiff camera movement really lends an uncanny valley feel to this
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywC2IpTzsRQ#t=5m22
It's shit
>>
>>323823657
for every one of these there's a hundred saying the opposite.

don't know what to believe.
>>
>>323820951
I've got an idea that's feasible but no idea on how to implement it.

>Induce sleep paralysis somehow on person to where only the head of a person can move/function.
>Use VR headset to give audio/visual link, trying to process that much data to/from someone's consciousness would require way more bandwidth processing power than is feasible for the next 30 years at least.
>Have a small device at the base of the neck or around points of the skull that detect brain impulses for movement and translate it into the simulation.
>Provide haptic feedback in a similar manner.

Having a matrix style VR really is impossible with current day technology, but this idea is feasible within the next 20 years assuming one critical thing- someone figures out how to safely induce a paralysis state without medication. The other technology is there, there are prosthetic limbs that already intercept neural impulses to initiate movement. While not advanced enough to be a seamless transition the early tech is there. Haptic feedback is also possible from the same technology. Smell and taste however are likely never going to happen without Matrix-like VR, that just has too many variables. Same with visual and auditory, too much data to process.
>>
>>323823657
>7:00
>they're using the direction your head is facing to control the direction you move
that's fucking awful
>>
>>323824867
it's not a limitation of the treadmill it's the gun they were using. you can track using lighthouse just fine.
>>
>>323824867
if they're doing that, why not just use a normal treadmill?
>>
File: AceCombat7.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
AceCombat7.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>323815843
Nah bro

I just want VR seated and playing with a standard controller

headtracking and slightly more immersion is all I want

fuck all the waggle controls and walking around a virtual room shit
>>
>>323824947
what gun?
>>
This is weird. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-2HRtjV0AY
>>
>>323825092
This, At most I want camera controls tied to head tracking, everything else I want controlled by a standard gaming input.
>>
>>323825092
>headtracking and slightly more immersion is all I want
you don't need to tack a display to your face to do it
>>
>>323825112
i have no idea all i know is they were using the gun to just shoot shit and your head to aim because lighthouse doesn't work in a gigantic auditorium where it's designed for you're home
>>
>>323817263
Get triggered harder, fag
>>
>>323825523
Jesus, if you are going to grow a heard at least have the decency to style it. Hobo beards are fucking disgusting.
>>
>>323816701
>20 years from now once we have better technology
You know, I agree that threadmills have zero chance of wider adoption, but what would that better technology even look like?
>>
>>323825523
How is that weird?
>>
>>323826006
an exoskeleton that provides full body haptic feedback.
>>
File: executiontable.jpg (32 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
executiontable.jpg
32 KB, 480x360
>>323826006
Sensors placed on you body to detect muscle impulses and then strapped into this so you don't flail around inadvertently
>>
>>323826862
Not gonna happen in your lifetime.
This I can see though:
>>323826268
>>
>these standing up VR machines always have anorexic manlet suburbanites showcasing it

How about show someone who is gargantuan huffing and buffing and eventually giving up after 5 minutes to play with a normal controller?

Or how about showing someone that is 10 feet tall that can barely register on the thing because the middle section only goes up to their knee?

It's always these same boring little fuckboy niggers who are in these showcases.
>>
File: komari_eating.gif (754 KB, 317x423) Image search: [Google]
komari_eating.gif
754 KB, 317x423
I'd like to imagine that arcades would implement this technology first.

And that it would bring a resurgance to arcades.
>>
File: DcH5YRIh.jpg (40 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
DcH5YRIh.jpg
40 KB, 500x374
>>323827060
obese and extremely tall people have it hard in everything they do in life. why should this product pander any differently to them?
>>
>>323827407
>wearing a sweaty ass Oculus/VR after some pimply nerd takes it off in an arcade. No thanks. Fuck off ya weeb.
>>
VR stuff will never be public, like in arcades and gyms especially.

It's like using a public toilet or phone, it's going to be the grossest shit ever and no one will fucking clean that headset at all.
>>
>>323827060
They use normies because that is who they want buying this shit. Gamers are a niche market and wont net them very many shekels
>>
>>323827575
>>323827562
Disposable facial interface, made of paper or something.
I think a bigger problem is dumbass customers breaking the expensive headsets.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.