[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys, I played so much Dark Souls that I'm having trouble
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: bloodborne_large_art-1152x720.jpg (296 KB, 1152x720) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne_large_art-1152x720.jpg
296 KB, 1152x720
Guys, I played so much Dark Souls that I'm having trouble acclimating to Bloodborne and its lack of shield.

Help me to git gud?
>>
Step 1. Git.
Step 2. Gud.
>>
just keep playing, you'll get it after a while
>>
>>323660520
So my issue is i keep losing all my echoes, and can't level up. And from what I hear, I can't level up until after I get my first Insight anyway, right?
>>
Hit enemies with your weapon and dodge when they want to hit you back.
>>
>>323660305
>he never do the no shield, naked, parry run in DaS
>>
Dodge motherfucker. It's the circle button.
>>
>>323660305
I think I didn't completely get the new playstyle until after I got out of Central Yharnam, and this is coming from someone who's used to play Souls games shieldless

Gascoigne's fight helps a lot though, it's supposed to force you to move fast, be aggressive and learn to parry. The basics of Bloodborne combat.
>>
>>323660612
Nigga i'm old, i ain't got time for that shit

i play through the normal stories of games and that's it, if i even have time and motivation to play through the entire thing. I don't do "challenge runs" or bullshit like that
>>
>>323660305
you should have been playing dark souls with minimal shield use from the start

aside from L1 and triangle being swapped, muscle memory transfers over perfectly
>>
>>323660305
dodge through attacks and R1.

The dodge isnt like Dark Souls, it's responsive and can be spammed. Just redownloaded DS1 and the dodge is way more unforgiving (not even counting the stamina consumption).
>>
>>323660583
Yes.
>>
>>323660583
Ye but why are you losing your echoes in the first place?
>>
>>323660305
Dark Souls and Bloodborne are two entirely different games that are meant to be played differently. Your first mistake was approaching everything Dark Souls style, probably always on the defensive, when the game is meant to be played more aggressively. Don't be afraid to go on the initiative when attacking.
>>
Git gud.

I played so much Bloodborne now that I struggle to go back to Dark Souls. There are still so many things I love about DS, but the fast combat in Bloodborne is my jam.
>>
>>323660583
you keep dying and you haven't even gotten to the first boss yet? Jesus christ anon get it together. If you are able to upgrade your weapons, do so. There is a bench in the hunters dream you can use. Other than that just learn to dodge, always be locked on to your target. Either slide around to people's backs or dodge right into them because you are invincible for 100% of your dodge animation
Also use pebbles to lure enemies if they are in groups you don't think you can handle.
>>
>>323660846
because i keep dying

i said so in the first post
>>
File: 1397128552217.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1397128552217.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>323660710
Nigga, dashing consume so little stamina that you can afford to do multiple dash and still managed to do a couple of swing AND dash out of safety.
>>
I struggled through Dark Souls and had a tough time.

I played Bloodborne and found it much easier and engaging.

Just dodge around enemies, nigga.
>>
>>323660923
You can't upgrade your weapons until after Gascoigne I believe.
>>
>>323660945
the issue is that you really shouldn't be dying to the first enemies you encounter, they fall apart if you look at them the wrong way. Unless you tried to take on that big axe dude they put right at the beginning for no reason. Fuck that dude, he's not even guarding anything

>>323661090
You can upgrade weapons with shards to +2 or +3 before him, and that is a pretty significant help in the beginning. it's gems that you unlock after gascoigne
>>
I was the opposite, played Bloodborne first then DaS1.

I had no idea how OP shields were, I was just using it to block attacks from regular hollows'n'shit, I went through half the game thinking anything that looked powerful would just ignore my shield.

When I figured out my square-foot of metal could block a giant hitting me with an axe the size of washing machine the game became easy-mode.

>>323660305
Just be aggressive, run in and hit them first, spam roll out of the way, or use quickstep to avoid attack. Every weapon has a unique attack done after rolling or sidestepping and it's usually quick enough to start a combo on them after an attack.

Learn the timings of all your moves, especially charge attacks, if you can time it right and hit them with a heavy before they connect you'll almost always stun them.

If you get hit (which happens more then Dark Souls due to no shield) don't instantly back-off, trust your instincts and try get some R1 spam in to get health back.

Learn to parry, that shits invaluable. But also other uses for your gun. Even if you don't stagger them, bullets can sometimes cancel thier attack and will send dogs and spiders flying at any hit.
>>
>>323661182
If i'm careful i don't have a problem with the first area with the bonfire. That shit's easy, i just take it slow. I got to the area where there's like two giant dogs (just before the bridge to the first boss) and that's where I can't seem to make any progress at. And then i get frustrated because I died, then i panic and die and lose my echoes, rinse and repeat.
>>
>>323661182
Weird. I thought you needed the workshop tools to unlock upgrading. I guess I learnt something new today.
>>
>>323661373
>where there's like two giant dogs
nigga don't fight those giant dogs yet. Just go somewhere else. Slosh around in the sewers man, there are other paths you haven't checked out. You will gain insight by starting the first boss fight or by using an item called Madman's knowledge. You don't lose insight on death, so just pop all those motherfuckers. have fun when you hit 40
>>
>>323661373
Those are werewolves. Avoid them and keep going forward after the stairs then you'll be near that little gathering all the peasants were at with the crucifix. Drop down a hole past some boxes into the sewer and you'll find a good armour set on a corpse nearby
>>
>>323661580
but those dogs are on the way to the first boss. Aren't they?
>>
>>323661373
Those Werewolves can be skipped and or Cheesed.

Pro-tip about Bloodborne. If you are running to the boss the same, long path through the level you initially took you didn't explore enough. Every level has at least one shortcut to help going from Lamp to Boss.

Go through the level and have a good look at everything, roll through barrels etc...
>>
>>323661612
the boss is in the exact opposite direction of the dogs, and they are positioned in such a way that they won't notice you unless you get right in their face
>>
>>323661704
OP hasn't found that path, he's coming at them from the other side.
>>
>>323661612
If you have trouble with the cleric beast you can return to him later. He's an optional boss.
>>
>>323660305
just use the other invincibility button, its functionally the same just a different animation
>>
>>323661872
so i just accidentally rolled off a ledge and there's dogs in cages here, a coldblood dew in the husk of a staircase, and an entrance down. That's where I'm supposed to go first? Down?
>>
>>323661980
I think a piece of advice for cleric beast is to not lock on and run through the legs after it attacks
>>
File: 1419492271950.jpg (19 KB, 248x248) Image search: [Google]
1419492271950.jpg
19 KB, 248x248
>>323661872
sweet jesus you're right
I didn't even think it was possible to miss that route

You clearly just need to do a little more exploration, and a foray into the sewers is still in your best interest before hitting the boss
>>
>>323660305

Wow OP just wow.

So first of all your gun is to counter enemy attacks.
And you can counter nearly every attack in the game.

To do so you just shot in the moment the enemys attack you.

Thats it
>>
>>323662064
don't go down yet, there is a shortcut you can open up and a straight line to the cleric beast. Go straight past where you rolled off
>>
>>323662064
Kind of. Just explore. The first bit of Yarnham is wonderful for finding cute little hidden things. And also any door or window with a lit lamp outside it has someone inside you can talk to.
>>
>>323662064
You say you played "so much" Dark Souls and yet you're asking for fucking advice on how to navigate? Did you happen to also play a lot of Skyrim in between? Quit asking people where you're "supposed" to go and let the level design lead you where it may. Think for your goddamn self.
>>
>>323662161
i found a path that led into a house and some old dude in a wheelchair just scared the fuck out of me and shot me, but i killed him, and opened a gate to the lantern at the start.

This is kinda cool, I didn't expect it to loop around like this. I expected more lamps/bonfires instead of just having one central one in an area.
>>
>>323660305
Keep moving around.Stick with the weapon you started out with.Bloodborne is piss easy once you get the hang of it.
>>
>>323662257
Sorry, the original Dark Souls was a little less visually cluttered and sort of led you where to go a little easier, at least for the first half. And as casually as I play video games normally, sometimes i need a nudge in the right direction before i "get it", you know?
>>
>>323662283
>I didn't expect it to loop around like this. I expected more lamps/bonfires instead of just having one central one in an area.

That's pretty standard for most of the level design in Bloodborne. You only get one lantern per area and slowly unlock shortcuts as you go. Only exception I can think of is Yahargul which has that lamp in the cathedral for whatever reason.
>>
>>323662283
loops nigga. this game is all loops. At any given point in time you should be thinking to yourself "how might the current path I am on somehow connect to my most recent lantern"
if you go upstairs from the house with the wheelchair dude you will be on the other side of the dogs and steps away from cleric beast. go ahead and throw yourself at him if you want, but you're going to have a bad time in there until you explore a little more
>>
File: trumpfaces.gif (3 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
trumpfaces.gif
3 MB, 360x203
I'm relatively new and never played a Souls game before, so maybe I can help.

first off if you're exploring any new area max out your blood vials first (you can carry 20)

the main thing you need to learn is the quick-stepping left and right when locked on an enemy. be patient and wait for the enemy's attack, then side step. try to get around to your enemy's back. before you start attacking be sure that

don't worry too much about staggering with your gun. I'm 7 bosses in and haven't died more than twice to a boss... and I am still not very good with that. I have a lot more fun being aggressive and using quickstep, and it has served me well so far.

if you're health gets low don't be afraid to unlock from your enemy and just run/roll away (remember holding down O sprints)

watch YouTubers who are good play through the first part of the game to get an idea of how you should be engaging enemies and fighting.

also I don't know if you have come across pebbles, but you can throw one at a single enemy from a group, and then just that one enemy will break away from his group and engage you. I used those a lot in the beginning.

there WILL be a moment when the combat clicks (probably about 3-4 hours in for me), and then the game becomes much more fun.

pic unrelated.
>>
>>323662283
Did you by any chance play lots of Dark Souls 2?

Anyway, with 1 or two exceptions there will only ever be one lamp per area, it's not like Dark Souls where they are hidden, each one is in plane sight but the game stretches you into going for what feels like miles without one. All the levels have at least one (often 3+) shortcuts and they almost all twist around themselves.
>>
>>323662424
Don't worry too much, Central Yharnam is up there in terms of how complex the areas are. It'll baptize you in fire so the rest of the game becomes much easier to navigate.
>>
File: 1441676837556.jpg (36 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1441676837556.jpg
36 KB, 500x375
>>323662514

**before you start attacking be sure that your enemy is done attacking. pretty much all enemies have quick single swipe type attacks and more complex attacks.

sorry for not finishing that sentence.
>>
>>323662592
I actually have barely touched DS2. That game feels like a straight-to-dvd sequel to a movie.
>>
Out of curiosity what weapon did you start with OP?
>>
>>323662763
Saw cleaver.
>>
>>323660520
I want to second this.

I played Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 a shit ton, and was good WITHOUT the shield in both games. But when I got to Bloodborne, it fucked me up hard.

You just have to get used to it, and used to the fact that most enemies won't get stun locked to death like in DaS1/2, can attack faster than you, and are much tougher all around.

Do yourself a favor, and get a familiar weapon in Ludwig's Holy Blade.

Don't try to rush through levels like you could in Dark Souls until you know the level back and forth. The enemies are too quick, and more strategically placed to prevent this. Not saying it's not possible, but you'll just find yourself dead if you don't know exactly where you're going.

You can farm some echos on the bridge where you fought the Cleric Beast.
>>
File: 1441091516659.jpg (72 KB, 564x748) Image search: [Google]
1441091516659.jpg
72 KB, 564x748
>>323662597
>the rest of the game becomes much easier to navigate.

yeah what about the forbidden woods though? fuuuck that place.
>>
>>323662514
> watch YouTubers who are good play through the first part of the game to get an idea of how you should be engaging enemies and fighting.

Wew

W E W
E
W

Don't do this, just don't. You'll ruin the game for yourself. Instead play the game by yourself and then watch ENB's playthrough but only watch up to stuff you've already done. That way you experience the game blind, as your supposed to, then get insight from someone who knows nearly everything (mechanically) about the game, also lets you go back and get any items you may have missed or look at an area from a new perspective.

Never watch anything that you havnt done yet.
>>
>>323662916
Forbidden Woods is still pretty linear. There are a few branching paths but they all take you to either short cuts or secrets. It's not as open as Central Yharnam.
>>
Leveling up makes the game easier. I know you're probably thinking: "no shit". But it's true.

Each level you gain increases defense. Go find a good place to farm. As an added bonus, you'll be able to "train" while farming.
>>
First timer here.

I'm up to Nightmare of Mensis but I want to beat Logarius first.

I can't beat him.

Help.
>>
>tfw I played Bloodborne blind, and didn't know about Bloodgem infusion until just before the final boss.

Don't forget about Bloodgem infusion, OP. It can literally double your base attack, which it did for me once I checked out what gems I had picked up along the way.
>>
File: caprisun.jpg (27 KB, 725x471) Image search: [Google]
caprisun.jpg
27 KB, 725x471
>>323663003

I just meant for him to watch some Central Yarnham playthrough footage... in other words stuff he has already seen

yeah don't ruin it for yourself OP.

ALSO don't automatically start attacking every NPC you see. if you lock on someone and they don't have a health meter, just go up and talk to them.

pic unrelated
>>
>>323663237

isn't that visible from the same menu screen that lets you fortify and repair your weapons? there are like three options right? you just never checked it out?
>>
>>323663237
man the first blind run was the best

>didn't know cainhurst existed
>forgot about nightmare frontier
>didn't know about dlc
>didn't know beating gehrman throws you immediately into new game plus
>didn't know how to equip runes
>>
>>323662916
One of the most linear levels.

It's a path with two shortcut elevators, if you get lost in the Snake area just head downhill.

It's classic Souls, the area feels fucking huge and unfairly long without a lamp, but when you sit down and think about it it's actually very short.

First time I played and got to the little villiage I was terrified of dying and having to repeat all that progress, but it's Litterally around the corner from the lamp.
>>
>>323662916
Forbidden Woods is fucking large but it's really just a linear path curving back and forth, like a letter S with an extra curl.
>>
>>323663237
I don't know how to infuse. I've got 4 stones but i dont know how to use them.
>>
>>323663130
he's super easy until he activates Devil Trigger
Keep him near the side of the roof where he starts. once the summoned swords come out just hide behind some architecture. Look around, there should be a couple of spots that will block the swords and have enough room for you to dodge without falling off

he also has a big charge up move that he does for a few seconds that you can interrupt with a backstab+visceral
>>
>>323662916
I still feel like I missed something there.
And those snakes are dicks. They should've just been a pile of dicks.
>>
File: bloodbornemap.jpg (369 KB, 2214x964) Image search: [Google]
bloodbornemap.jpg
369 KB, 2214x964
Yharnam actually has a nice layout.
>>
>>323660974

>That much health and endurance

This better have been NG++ or something nigger
>>
>>323663380
there is a bench in the hunters dream you can use
>>
>>323663384

Oh you can cancel the swords, just lock on and shoot or hit the sword he stabs into the ground.
>>
>>323663130
When he sticks the sword in the ground, attack it to get rid of it.

When he goes into his super saiyan form, backstab him for ez damage and to prevent him from becoming immune to bullets.
>>
>>323663350
The chest with the tool is actually pretty easy to miss. I didn't find it until I walked through there a second time to fight Henryk.
>>
>>323663458
does that unlock sometime? Someone in this thread said something about being able to infuse before the first boss
>>
File: 1419663248109.png (245 KB, 718x404) Image search: [Google]
1419663248109.png
245 KB, 718x404
>>323663412
neat, pretty cool
>>
>>323663359
I must be blind cause I've beat the game twice (once I let German kill me, once I fucked his shit up) and I've never found the DLC or Cainhurst. I can't seem to find three pieces of umbilical cord either, only two.
>>
>>323663518
no you double nigger. you can upgrade your weapon right fucking now. You unlock other things later on, but you can do normal +1, +2, +3 upgrades right from the start
>>
>>323663350
Never checked it out. Figured it was stuff for blood tinge type builds, elemental weapons and such.
>>
>>323663412
This map is pretty fucked. Doesn't have Yahargul connecting to Old Yharnam, and Forbidden Woods doesn't come out under Iosefka's Clinic.
>>
>>323663412
Uh, that's wrong.

Yarhagul is right next to Old Yharnam (separated only by Paarls boss room) and Iosefka's clinic is much closer to the forest (the big ladder that goes from Forest Cave to Graveyard).
>>
>>323663560
Well if you can't find Cainhurst OR the third umbilical cord (actually there are four you can get technically) it's probably because you missed the shortcut from Forbidden Woods back to the clinic.
>>
>>323663560
well my second playthrough was a guided one to find all the shit I missed as well as right everything I did wrong

but DLC is accessed by the Amygdala right outside Cathedral Ward and for Cainhurst you need to get the item from the clinic and go to the end of Hemwick's Channel Lane
>>
>>323660305
Honestly dude?

Just get used to dodging and acclimate yourself to using I-frames more. And don't be stingy on that dodge buttons. Unlike DaS, dodging is cheap as fuck.
>>
>>323663560
>I've never found the DLC or Cainhurst. I can't seem to find three pieces of umbilical cord either, only two.

Okay Cainhurst and Cord I kind of understand, but the Eye of a Blood-Drunk Hunter literally tells you in the item description where to go.
>>
>>323663560
To go to cainhurst you need the cainhurst summons. I forget where you get that...
But once you got it go back to the area right before the witches boss and inspect the black obelisk in the middle of the area.
>>
play bb like you would fight the four kings
>>
>>323663689
>>323663712

Yeah, also it's too flat.

I think Yharnam's layout is kinda difficult since the city is so thick and dense urban-wise.
>>
>>323663942

Back of Iosefka's clinic on a corpse, go through the cave in the forbidden woods.
>>
holy fuck rats are way scarier in bloodborne than they were in DaS1
>>
>>323663942
in iosefkas clinic
>>
>>323663560
There are actually 4 Third Cords.

One up above the Forest in the back entrance to Ioseka's Clinic (Only after Rom). The other is down below at the base of Oedon Chapel.

im assuming you found the Hunters Workshop one.

The item to go to Cainhurst is also in back entrance to Iosefka's Clinic.
>>
>>323663803
I missed the shortcut on my first play through, I found it on my second, and I killed the nurse who was turning people into ayylmaos.

>>323663812
>item from the clinic
What item?

>>323663920
>reading item descriptions
Why would you even use the menu unless you were changing weapons

>>323663942
I'll check it out, thanks m8
>>
>>323660305
>needing a shield for dark souls
Jesus, bb is easier than das because of the movement speed git gud.
>>
File: zbXnvfa.png (374 KB, 1000x892) Image search: [Google]
zbXnvfa.png
374 KB, 1000x892
So I'm about 20 hours in, and the only thing I don't like about the game is that sometimes it's not clear at all what the next step is. I don't want an arrow or list of objectives or some bullshit, but the story elements are so cryptic and intentionally convoluted (not sure if that's the best word) that it seems like there is oftentimes no indication at all what should be done next. Also there doesn't really seem to always be a clear reason why a specific door becomes unlocked or whatever.

I know this fits the old school style, and I love exploring, but when I am just backtracking looking for every previously locked door in areas I have already explored thoroughly, it's not super fun.

everything else is awesome :)
>>
>>323664050
What do the cords do once you've got them?
>>
>>323664159
They let you fight the final boss.
>>
File: 1434377319998.jpg (15 KB, 453x381) Image search: [Google]
1434377319998.jpg
15 KB, 453x381
>>323664159
ayy
>>
>>323664159

Change the ending. You need at least 3. If you eat three of them then at the end of the game fight the final boss instead of the normal ending you get to fight a true final boss and a new ending. You can eat them whenever, you just need to eat 3.
>>
>>323664098
Enemies are much faster in BB than Dark Souls.

Enemies in DS1/2 are a joke compared to the enemies in BB.
>>
>>323662459
It is because otherwise people who haven't done the area before Blood Moon would quit on the ganksquad.

I've helped so many idiots through the area and it never ceases to amaze me how much people struggle at old women and literal piles of corpses.
>>
>>323664069
> Why would you even use the menu unless you were changing weapons

Um, if you're going to play Dark Souls or Bloodborne you should probably start reading item descriptions. Without reading the summons finding Caunhurst would be dumb-luck (same with DLC) and you'll miss out on almost all the lore/story.
>>
>>323664141
Basically you should take off your linear progression mentality and put on your explorer's mentality. The story's not going to do it for you, so make your own motivation and check stuff out under your own power.

And the only door that opens up and doesn't really make sense is the one in Cathedral Ward after killing Blood-Starved Beast. Don't worry about it anywhere else.
>>
File: 1438569447543.gif (2 MB, 334x258) Image search: [Google]
1438569447543.gif
2 MB, 334x258
>>323664295

>lore
>>
>>323664295
Sometimes it's just tough to find the time to read item descriptions in Bloodborne. It's not like there are many safe zones. Then when you finally get to one, you've long forgotten the 10+ items you picked up during the last run.
>>
>>323664141
There's only 1 door that opens without explanation. Whenever you pick up a key, read it and you'll usually know what it opens..
>>
>>323660583
the first insight is in the sewers near some large rats, just run past everybody, grab it and grind until you feel comfortable fighting the cleric beast
>>
>>323664445
>It's not like there are many safe zones
If there is nothing alive onscreen and you aren't moving, you're safe. Enemy patrols are not that expansive
>>
>>323664445
>Sometimes it's just tough to find the time to read item descriptions in Bloodborne.
Theyre like 1 paragraph mostly, hardly a whole wiki article or book. What the actual fuck, thats like 20 seconds of your time. Sit in the hunters dream for 2 minutes and go through all the items, or alternatively, after killing an enemy, another isnt going to run from the other side of the map and attack you.

I refuse to believe people are this abhorrent of reading, do you at least check what a new item is when you pick it up?
>>
>>323664597
I got that, and leveled up 3 times, then put two levels into my weapon. feeling a little bit better about myself now.

I kinda get it now. I was having a lot of trouble with the "okay, you're a guy now go" beginning of this game, but I think i got it now. Combat's still gonna be tricky for me i think but we'll see what happens with that
>>
>>323664295
wondrous safe place
>>
>>323663359
This, except I didn't have dlc and I wanted to be freed from the night as that would be the choice my first character would make, so mergo seemed a really boring final boss for me, just dash behind her that's it... Gehrman was god tier though
>>
>literally every boss just spams wide arcing swipes with very short tells and dodgy hitboxes
My main issue in Bloodborne is that most of the time I never know how I was even supposed to dodge certain things. I get hit before my thumb can even press the button all the way.
>>
>>323664897
If you keep looking around the sewer you should find a whole set of armor that is a straight upgrade from your starting stuff. Once you grab that have a run at the cleric beast
>>
>>323662916
it's a dick to navigate and get all the loot, but if you only care about progressing all you must do is go downhill
>>
I beat BB and the DLC today and was disappointed at the lack of mimics. Is there one in the game that I missed?
>>
>>323665101
I disagree, only chalice (mediocre as a whole) dungeon bosses, keeper of lords, ptnumeru descendant and shitty minibosses have really fast no-tell shitty moves.
Blame sony for forcing this replayability dungeon shit with shoehorned in bosses and no testing.
Watchdog and the undead giants are really cool and good fights though.
>>
>>323665101
the secret to bloodborne is to dodge into the attacks and not away
>>
>>323665279
Doesn't fit the world, that's too magical and bullshitty, has nothing to do with the arcane and the cosmos
The booby trapped loot done by hunters is far more fitting
>>
>>323665101
I'll freely admit I've played the game enough to memorize most of this shit, but it seems to me like your criticism just isn't true at all. There aren't even that many bosses in the game with moves that come close to "wide arcing swipes." Maybe BSB, Paarl, and Amelia.
>>
File: f5.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
f5.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
>fighting boss
>hands get sweaty
>can't pause
>>
File: 1452450441205.gif (733 KB, 288x422) Image search: [Google]
1452450441205.gif
733 KB, 288x422
>>323660305
Git, gud hunter.
>>
>>323663130
1st phase: run in circles, hide behind pillars to avoid arcane shit, run to his right, get one hit, run. repeat

2nd phase: when he transitions to the next phase you MUST visceral attack him while he charges. after that, parry spam the shit out of him. if he does the flying attack, dodge towards him right before he lands, hit him once or twice while he recovers. when he plants the sword, run to it and hit it once.

The 1st phase demands being a passive cunt and might take a good while, the 2nd is all about aggression and getting the parries right. It also helps if he does the flying attack often, since it's easy to avoid.
>>
>>323665306
The entirety of Paarl is shitty moves that are really difficult to avoid on reaction. Sure he's easy to cheese by just stunlocking him, but if you don't have the damage for that the fucker is a nightmare.
>>
Whoever decided that you shouldn't have any kind of invulnerability while on the ground, and that most bosses should be able to combo you to death from full health, is a real cunt
>>
>>323665769
wow, that sounds awful. What game does that?
>>
>>323665769
>invulnerability while on the ground

It's called the dodge button.
>>
>>323663359
My blind run still makes me laugh

>Get to Old Yarnham gate
>Read sign
"Welp, guess I need to find another way in"
>Leave
>Beat the game without knowing there was a whole section in there
>>
File: 1426155749783.png (91 KB, 400x268) Image search: [Google]
1426155749783.png
91 KB, 400x268
Pro tip right here
use gestures in front of the Doll
>>
>>323665870
you never even found Paarl and went in the back way?
>>
>>323665958
Nope, I went straight to One Reborn and missed him too
>>
>>323665839
You can't dodge while being knocked down, can you?
>>
>>323665893
this

Also don't attack her. This is super important.
>>
>>323666014
>>323665769
I've gotten rekt on Bloodborne a metric shit ton of times.

I can't ever remember this happening.
>>
>>323665614
Wait until you get to the Chalice version.

You can no longer stunlock him from 100 to 0 and he has damage up the ass.

Good luck telling what the fuck is going on with that camera.
>>
There's a simple 4 rules for playing Bloodborne:
1. be aggressive
2. b
3. e
4. aggressive
>>
Don't be afraid to go balls out from time to time.

Always... ALWAYS, fight aggressive. You're the hunter, not the prey.

I know that sounds cliche, and cringeworthy, but someone said this in a thread while I was having major trouble getting through the game, and it helped me to git gud.
>>
>>323666086
Pretty much all of my deaths vs Gascoigne were due to getting knocked down, and then hit by a followup attack before I could get up.
>>
>>323660974
>AND dash out of safety.

The problem isn't being limited by stamina.

When I was fighting Orphan he was a fucking PAIN for me.

The problem wasn't stamina it was I'd hit him, and then he'd hit me back during my end lag. I was so used to my Blades of Mercy (which were now doing shit all dmg even at +10) that I was using a diff weapon.

and also my build wasn't like lvl 300 like that webm is.
>>
>>323665432
Ebrietas?
>>
>>323666223
Actually there's only one directive: be a good hunter.
>>
>>323666223
>>323666272
aggressivemind
>>
>>323666223
>>323666272
I try that, and then I die because enemies hit me in the middle of my attack animations.
Everything is faster than you in Bloodborne, so aggression really doesn't work.
>>
>>323666289
Spam dodge to the side when knocked down and you roll instead of slowly standing up.
>>
>>323666309
Ah sure, I guess she counts. I usually just stick with the "bait head slam" method though.
>>
>>323666406
If attacking seems slow utilize the roll attacks more.

You can close the gap and attack much faster that way.
>>
>>323666436
I don't even get to the point where I attempt to stand up, I get hit the instant I hit the ground.
>>
Hey guys, I played Bloodborne first.

Should I go back and play Demon or Dark Souls first? Which is harder?
>>
Is level 70 to low for the Orphan of Kos
>>
>>323666406
Being aggressive doesn't mean fighting dumb. Plus remember that most enemies won't get stunlocked to death like in Dark Souls.

Dark Souls was easy, in that all you had to do was wait for the enemies' lumbering attacks, then spam R1 until they died. You need to get out there and initiate contact. Be proactive in attacking, taking back blood when you get hit. Not wasting precious vials.
>>
>>323666436
Warning: This tactic WILL get you fucked in some fights.

Panic rolling to get up will get you fucked so hard it's bordering bullying.
>>
>>323666621
I'd play Demon's since is the faster one. Coming from BB, Das might feel like it runs in slow motion.
>>
File: 1448569948195.jpg (33 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
1448569948195.jpg
33 KB, 300x360
>>323666406
>aggression really doesn't work
there are plenty of fast weapons in BB and many can easily stunlock regular enemies and smaller bosses. Any weapon in the game that is slower than your enemy will stunlock them into oblivion as long as you attacked at an appropriate opening
you are a shit and encouraging passivity in this game is cancer
>>
>>323666406
"Be aggressive" doesn't mean spamming R1 with no regard for the enemy's movements. It means dodging an attack by moving forward instead of away. For example, in the chalice dungeons there's a boss called Headless Bloodletting Beast. Most people have trouble with him. I beat him first try by dodging through and under his swipes and going ham on his back legs. I hugged the motherfucker to death. I didn't spam attacks like a retard and I still dodged when he tried to get me, but I did so forwardley.
>>
>>323666648
Some Jap beat it on NG+7 at level 4.
>>
>>323666608
That shouldn't happen unless you get swarmed.

For example Gascoine can spam leap in beast form but you always have time to tech roll away. However the attack tracks you in such way that rolling backwards doesn't work.
>>
>>323666656
>Be proactive in attacking, taking back blood when you get hit.
Except that most bosses will continuously spam attacks for 5-6 seconds, and don't leave themselves open for more than 1-2 hits, so the regain mechanic might as well not exist.
>>323666730
>there are plenty of fast weapons in BB
That not every build has access to.
>>
You really need to get the feel for your weapon, KNOW the distance. Utilize the strong attack to close distances (R2). Know when to use the fast/weak attacks rather than 2 handing.

Also, you have a pistol for a reason. If an enemy is about to swing on you, shoot them in the face. It seems hard, but it's surprisingly easy once, and will become like an instinct after you unleash 2-3 fast attacks, and know the counterattack is coming.
>>
>>323666885
>That not every build has access to.
see
>Any weapon in the game that is slower than your enemy will stunlock them into oblivion
>>
>>323666859
Gascoigne in human form can cancel any of his attacks that cause a knockdown into a chasing jump attack that will hit you before you can "tech roll". It typically won't kill you, but it's still a pain in the ass.
>>
>>323666885
The bosses don't vomit out damage in every direction

Unless you're clinically retarded you can dodge right past their swings and slap their sides or ass and get your shit back. It's just a matter of learning where to dodge for most attacks, and which ones do swing around behind them.

In other words, don't be a shitter and git gud
>>
>>323666934
Unless you're massively overgeared you typically won't make an average boss stagger all that often.
>>
For me the worst part of bloodborne was the fact that you need to farm blood vials. I mean really, who the fuck in the devs team thought that it's a good idea? You had 2 souls games where flasks proved to be an effective system, why change in back to demon's retarded grindfest? After every failed boss attempt you need to go back to the first area and spend at least 5 minutes farming vials back to 20. This coupled with retarded fast travel and long-ass load times almost made me drop the game when it first came out.
>>
>>323667017
There's nothing wrong with punishing failure. You shouldn't be enjoying failing. See it as an incentive to play smarter.
>>
>>323666885
Most bosses don't spam attacks directly behind them. Repeat after me:

DODGE
FORWARD
>>
>>323666937
But no one gets hit by human Gasbag.

Talking about cancelling attacks Defiled Watchdog charge is the absolute worst.
>>
>>323667017
Or just play better, there is also rally anyway
>>
>>323667092
Most bosses can track your movement mid combo.
>>
Most youtube playthrough watching, souls shitters are under the assumption that you can just circle strafe everything as a WIN button.

Soon as you kick that line of thinking, you'll be on your way to git'n gud.
>>
>>323667017
Agreed.

>>323667082
The punishment for failure is that you die to the boss and have to go back. Farming should be a pursuit only for the most invested high-level players to get the best upgrades. Forcing new, learning players to farm just makes them drop the game. It's bad design.
>>
>>323667158

No, they can't. If they're in mid-swing they'll hit where you were when they began the attack. That's how you beat them, because you can roll right past them and chop them in the ass.
>>
>>323667158
But they don't spin like in DaS2.

Every boss has a combo you can punish with any weapon. I'm certain that almost every move in the game can be punished with some weapon.
>>
>>323667158
Not really

And even the ones that do, there's zero cooldown between sidesteps. You can dodge again less than a split second after the first, to the point where two can pull you away from pretty much any fucking attack in the game
>>
>>323667158
They really, really don't. I can't honestly come up with a better response than that; you're just wrong. This isn't Dark Souls 2 we're talking about, here.
>>
>>323660305
>armor and weapons have no weight
>always fast rolling
>enemies telegraph all attacks
>more powerful ranged weapons
>pretty much unlimited ammo if you have regen gems on
>"golly its hard not being able to block anything"
>>
>>323667280

No, not really. The only time you're low on vials in the game is right at the start but the routes to cleric beast and gasgoinge have plenty of enemies you can kill easily, and they drop vials like candy.
>>
>>323667017
I didn't find it that bad. But yeah it's a bad mechanic. Estus is better.

Someone in /bbg/ summed it up well.

If you ARE good at the game then this is never a problem even though it's easy for you to collect vials.

If you suck though you will be starved of vials, forced to farm and will struggle because you are bad at the game. It's just not fair on those people.

>>323667082
You say that as if blood vial farming is the ONLY failure punishment when Souls genre already strips you of all your souls AND resets the area. It doesn't also need a potion farming system.
>>
>>323667158
I must have gotten a glitched version of the game where they don't do that. lucky me. A couple of them kind of lean in my direction when I try to go around them because they're not blind, but nobody flips around and breaks their spine to hit me
>>
>>323667440
"You can do boring shit to mitigate the problem" doesn't make it not a problem.
>>
>>323667301
>>323667341
>>323667352
>>323667370
I guess I was just imagining things when I was fighting Gehrman then
>>
>>323667543

No but like, you don't at all have to go out of your way to pick up vials, the game presents them to you on a platter on the path to each boss.
>>
>>323667740
Don't worry, I felt that the game had less quality assurance than Big Rigs when fighting Loran Darkbeast.
>>
>>323667740
>Gehrman
>Most bosses
>>
File: This tracking man.webm (1000 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
This tracking man.webm
1000 KB, 640x360
>>323667301
>>323667301
>>323667352
>>323667370
>they don't track you mid combo
?????????????

also did you never fight the dlc sharks?
>>
File: This tracking man (1).webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
This tracking man (1).webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>323667895
my b that version of webm sucks heres a better one.
>>
>>323660710
>Being a boring shitter in Das.
No shield runs aren't a "challenge" they are just learning the game a little instead of hiding behind much shield.
>>
>>323660305

after beating BB I went back and played all the older games with a focus on 2 handing or power standing weapons. It's a lot of fun, but I do miss shields since they're so good

I hope they're nerfed a bit in 3 (but not to the point of uselessness like in BB)
>>
>>323660710
You must have been shitted on in pvp.
>>
>>323660305
if you needed a shield to play DaS you were probably bad at it. It's the same playstyle as a lightweight DEX build: just fucking press Circle whenever they're about to hit you.
>>
>>323667845
I get that, but if it's your first Souls game and you get stuck on Blood-Starved Beast for 20 tries and run out, having to go back somewhere to farm vials is ridiculously boring. There's really no reason for it.
>>
>>323667895

I think there's a level of programming difference. Like, even the stone trolls do that where they'll follow up a second swing at you if you dodge around the first. However it's not like a tracking combo, but more like individual moves firing quickly at you.

99% of the time you won't get tracked that badly so long as you move fast enough, though.
>>
>>323660305
I literally baby-mode DS and DS2 with Havels, BKUGS and Greatshields with endurance builds.
I managed to get through BB (still haven't beaten Gehrman though) with the starting spin2win axe, STR/END build.
In the whole game, I have not performed a single parry or backstab.
>>
>>323668225

By the time I got to blood-starved beast I had like over a hundred of them.

There's no real reason to expend more than two-three vials on most bosses, if you need to abuse them then you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>323667017

Yeah it did suck. it's not an issue on subsequent playthrough, but I don't know why they did away with the Estus system, it was perfect.
>>
File: Laughing Summoners.gif (186 KB, 511x394) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Summoners.gif
186 KB, 511x394
>>323667982
>>323667895
that first hit he gets on you is because you fucking dodged back into his combo
>>
>>323668397
Two vials is one hit.
Did you really beat every single boss on your first try while only getting hit once?
>>
>>323668547

No, but I sure didn't waste vials in fights primarily about learning enemy moves.
>>
>>323668397
This isn't about good players, it's about the bad ones who are trying to learn. When you've already gotten gud and can beat every boss without using vials the two systems are practically indistinguishable. It wouldn't affect you either way. But for those players who don't have a clue, they'll burn through those reserves pretty quickly. Which means they'll spend more time farming easy enemies and less time actually tackling the area they're stuck on and learning how to git gud.
>>
>>323668717

Spoiler Alert: I am a bad player. This is my first souls game. I died a million times but I'm at least able to realize I have a finite amount of vials and an infinite number of lives, so there's no need to waste them.
>>
>enter boss room
>Bloodletting Beast
>never fought this boss before
>assumes some kind of odd stance as soon as I enter the area
>I figure I should stay back for a bit and see what this fucker is going to do
>suddenly punch
>oneshot from across the room
there is no way to defend this
>>
Vials should never be a problem from the moment you get to the Lecture Building.
>>
>>323666014
you can recover more quickly if you spam it
>>
>>323660305
Exploit iframes and be aggressive
>>
>>323669014
Panic mashing dodge will get you killed just as hard as doing nothing.
>>
>>323665101
>don't understand how to dodge
>game is flawed
>>
>>323669083
It's not a matter of understanding, it's a matter of execution. I can't time a dodge down to a few frames in a game that runs at 20 fps on a good day and that vomits visual effects all over the screen.
>>
>>323668905
>games are not allowed to surprise me
>It's the games fault that I haven't put enough points into Vit
>>
>>323669207
Damn son if you never played it you could have just said so from the beginning.
>>
>>323668857
And I guess that's the problem. The game almost forces the player to go and die without using vials while trying to learn the boss. Because if you waste them you'll need to farm yadda yadda. That's what I didn't like.

And after Rom I really started to run out of them. I don't think that I am a bad player, I kill most bosses in like 3-4 tries. In souls games I never gave up until the boss was dead because the game didn't punish you for trying but in bloodborne I sometimes just went to sleep because I didn't feel like farming vials just to try once more.
>>
>>323668857
Besides after a while you get alternative means of recovery, first via gems (though those are so slow that they only helps you if you get recovery hits) then via visceral attacks and at last by using bullets if you have arcane build.
>>
>>323668905
Chalice dungeon bosses are mostly bullshit and a significant drop in quality from the main game.
>>
>>323668329
>its not a combo because i said so

>>323668486
im not talking about that hit. The final hit is tracking and part of that combo.
>>
>>323669295
Why not just have random, unrecognizable pitfalls leading to instant death spike traps then? That's SURPRISING too.
And that fucking punch will kill you no matter how much vit or defense you have.
>>
>>323669385
That's cool and all but the system was working perfectly fine in Dark Souls and didn't need to be changed. If Bloodborne was a new concept I could see past it but there's really no reason they had to downgrade from estus.
>>
>>323669354

I don't think that's the game's fault, though, I think it's your fault for failing to adapt. The game encourages agressive play with HP recovery through attacking, even. The vials are there for the moments when you get a boss down to 25% HP and you just want to be able to tank one more hit,not when you're doing your first try.
>>
>>323669412
Only bad Chalice bosses are the upscaled trash and Rom, everything else is amazing.

The zones themselves can go suck a dick but at least you feel like champion after beating the really hard ones.
>>
>>323669543
>I don't think that's the game's fault, though, I think it's your fault for failing to adapt.

You can say this about practically any bad game design.
>>
>>323669543
Except the bosses also hit for 60-70% of your health to compensate, and you can't get back that much just by attacking. Bosses don't leave themselves open that long.
>>
>>323669543
wtf? Rally isnt that good vs bosses because you can usually only get 1 attack in which is nothing compared to their dmg
>>
>>323669295

VIT is so important in BB. honestly at least 30 is a minimum, and even at the soft cap of 50, things can kill you very fast in the DLC and lower chalice dungeons

but there will always be people with 13 VIT ':^) lol just don't get hit mate' getting one shotted
>>
>>323669698

Most of those heavy hits are easy to see coming, though. The attacks from a boss that are fast and unexpected do comparatively less damage unless you're under-leveled. That's what regain is for, you get the fuck up then hack away. You should by that point at least know what the boss's movements are, so you can compensate.

>>323669861

Fucking bullshit, most of the bosses in the first half you can dodge behind and deliver a ton of R1 attacks to.
>>
>>323669918
VIT only matters in PvP, in endgame PvE everything will oneshot you whether you have 13 vit or 50
>>
>>323669991
I don't know what kinds of bosses you've been fighting then, because most of the ones I've fought will not hit you for less than 40%. And those comparatively light attacks are still hard to regain from because they're almost always followed by 4-5 seconds of frenzied attacking that moves the boss around too much for you to attack them more than once or twice.
>>
Dodge aggressively.
>>
>>323669991
>most of the bosses

yeah on a decent chunk it is viable. But especially in the DLC bosses you can get 1 hit in and that's all. Making Rally pretty much useless against them.
>>
>>323669918
You don't need that much, I stay under 1k hp to allow constany wheel charge. I rarely get one shotted outside of co-op and even then its not constant.

I think you need 50 vit to avoid all the one shots due to defilement.
>>
Got destroyed the the living failures numerous times then absolutely wrecked Maria. I thought she was supposed to be hard and they were meant to be easy.
>>
>>323670121

Um are you fighting them naked or something? Sounds like you're just treating obvious heavy hits like light hits. Look, if BSB or Paarl or Amelia come at you and raise their arms menacingly, that's a heavy hit and you should fucking dodge it.

>>323670158

Yeah but follow the conversation, we're talking about early-game when you have few vials.
>>
>>323670308
Speaking of which, any advice on dodging Paarl's shit after the second phase? At that point his swipes basically just become a lingering cone hitbox in front of it and getting caught once spells guaranteed death. They come out so quickly at that point that it's difficult to avoid them too. I've even gotten hit by the electricity surrounding them while standing directly underneath it.
>>
>>323670257
No, Maria is pretty damn easy. Failures are even easier, though.
>>
>>323670148
Indeed, just dodge towards them. Most of the time if the enemy is moving at all or preparing a big attack, you'll teleport behind them and can give them a couple impersonnel backstabs.
>>
>>323670625
Don't let him stay in the second phase.

Go balls to the walls from the start of the fight and whack his legs so that he depowers and run at him constantly while hitting the legs. He doesn't have time to charge and only meekly swipes while running away.

The power up might look like the explosion but it isn't the same and completely safe time to attack.
>>
>>323670257
In my experience from the DLC.

Ludwig was awkward in phase 1, first timed phase 2.

Living Failures I one shotted. Maria took a few tries but nothing too challenging.

Laurence messed me up for a while. Not sure why. Just kept getting hit and not getting many hits in.

Orphan fucked my shit up for quite some time.

Didn't really have any problems with a single non DLC boss, bar maybe Ebrietas for a couple of tries.
>>
>>323670625

He's easy to stunlock. You roll under him at the start and smash his legs, that makes him fall down. Run around and smash his skull, and then he'll lose his electricity and start to run away. Just roll under him and repeat the process before he can retreat far enough to build up a charge. He has to get over to a wall or something, you'll figure it out pretty quickly.
>>
>>323670859
>>323670987
I've never even managed to make him stagger, despite swinging at the legs over and over. Is my damage just too low?
>>
It's also worth mentioning they've added old hunter NPC summons for most of the bossfights (Rom, Shadow, BSB, Amelia, Cleric, Ludwig, One Reborn) so you can just use them as bait if you get stuck. The guy who comes with you for Rom is hilariously useful because he can ranged harass spiders and heal you with the bell. He's a mensis guy too which is kind of worrying from a lore PoV.
>>
>>323671097

Maybe, upgrade it a bit and see what happens. IIRC the Gaol and Paarl aren't intended to be done straightaway and you can come back and fight Paarl after Rom so he does have some range.
>>
>>323671284
Don't most people kill Paarl around level 30? I must obviously be doing something wrong then, I only do about 30 damage or so on the legs per hit, with a +5 weapon.
>>
>>323660305
>I played so much Dark Souls that I'm having trouble acclimating to Bloodborne and its lack of shield.
said literally no one ever
>>
>>323671097
Did you use Beast Pellet and Fire Paper?
>>
>>323671196
Don't they increase the bosses' HP?
>>
>>323671346

what weapon?
>>
>>323671346
+5 weapon should be enough. Maybe you aren't actually hitting the same leg enough?
>>
>>323671391
I ran out of those at Blood-starved Beast
>>323671508
Cane
>>
>>323671489

If they do I didn't notice.
>>
>>323671684
>Cane

I'm so sorry.
>>
>>323671684

>Cane

you fucker, you were setting us up for this shit, weren't you?
>>
>>323671753
>>323671785
W-What?
>>
>>323671841
Cane is the harder to use weapon of the 3.

Lot of people call it Hard Mode.
>>
>>323671753
>>323671785
What's wrong with the Cane?
I just started BB and with this Rifle Spear I stumbled upon, the two have served me much better than those other weapons.
>>
>>323671841

The Cane is literally the most difficult weapon to use in the game from the start, it even tells you that.

Look, just go to the entrance to the sewer in central yharnam from the yharnam lamp past the two brick trolls. Once you get inside, turn to the right and smash the boxes and go through the window. Go around the right side until you see a dangling corpse, cut it down, then drop down to where it landed. Inside it is the Saw Spear. Upgrade that shit and kick the crap out of the boss.
>>
>>323672109
>having to rely on the scrub spear
kek
>>
>>323672109
That's what I did on previous playthroughs, but Saw Spear, Hunter Axe, neither of them did all that much damage. I eventually managed to just kinda wear it down, but with the cane I'm having an especially hard time. Meanwhile every youtube video I see has the person hit its legs for 150-200 per swing, while I can barely do 80.
>>
File: I have my share of woes.jpg (79 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
I have my share of woes.jpg
79 KB, 960x544
>first blind playthrough
>call for assistance literally every time
>beat game
>that wasn't so hard
>realised beckoning bell is easy mode
>new character
>mfw

Beckoning bell is stupid and should not have been available in the first playthrough
>>
>>323672230

better than le gentleman stick
>>
>>323672353

They may just have upgraded the fuck out of it.
>>
>>323672756
The main point is, they could stagger Paarl, I couldn't. Only thing that ever reliably worked for me was repeated Kirkhammer R2s to the head.
>>
>>323672437
On my first playthrough I summoned for every boss up until Shadows of Yharnam. For some reason I could never find anyone there to help. So after actually giving it my all and beating the fuckers I realized how much I was missing and never summoned again that playthrough.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.