[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why game nowdays can't do exploration right
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7
File: 182387284.webm (3 MB, 889x500) Image search: [Google]
182387284.webm
3 MB, 889x500
Why game nowdays can't do exploration right
>>
because video games are shit
>>
>>323611237

This.
>>
File: 1449788016572.jpg (37 KB, 538x302) Image search: [Google]
1449788016572.jpg
37 KB, 538x302
>>323611030
Was the webm supposed to show the example of bad or good exploration? I presume the former since this game is actually really fucking empty and soulless and a couple of visually neat floating creatures do not equal "good exploration".
>>
>>323611030
Because we don't know what your standard of 'right' is.
>>
>>323611030
Skyrim, and in general the casualization of video games. Developers don't need to make an interesting world with actual depth to discover if the majority of its players are mouth breathers that enter a trance for an empty field of nothingness.
>>
>>323611030
but dragons dogma does it right
>>
Alright, post the game. What is it, Wildstar?
>>
>>323611030

How can you say that when Xenoblade Chronicles X only been out for a month?
>>
>>323611030
What game is that
>>
Because exploration is not just a big map full of nothing. If you make it just a big world with monsters and a few empty towns in between, it will be shit.
In TW3, for example, there's a lot of random quests around, or other shit to do, and sometimes you don't even need to fight to solve your problems. That's why it's fun to explore.
Density in open world is something that should be done with care. Maybe one day we'll have underwater exploration, with limited oxygen and visibility, but you have to make the ocean engaging and mysterious for it to go right.
>>
>>323612083
>>323612197
World of----- I mean, Rift.
>>
Because gamers are whiny assholes who'd rather complain about dumb shit than tell me what awesome ass game that webm is so I can go play a fucking video game.
>>
>>323611030
games need to be linear and scripted for that cinematic experience, optional areas are considered a waste of effort
>>
>>323611030
If you want to explore, go outside. There's a whole world to explore.
>>
>>323611030
exploration involves the player doing something and not watching the game unfold through cut-scenes
>>
Minecraft
>>
>>323613028
I tried that once, but then I got shot for trespassing.
>>
>>323611030
I was sure that I enjoyed exploring in the new Xenoblade, but I guess OP proved me wrong.
>>
Too focused on big open worlds that are completely empty, instead of separate dense areas.

This is part of the reason I'm looking forward to FFXV because they're merging the two.
>>
>>323612174
Probably because the shit combat bogs it down. I'll agree that the world exploration is extremely well-done, however.
>>
>big wide world for you to explore!
>draw distance is 40 feet
Fuck every game that does this.
>>
File: arisen 2.webm (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
arisen 2.webm
1 MB, 1920x1080
Most exploration games' problem is that the player is too slow. Road trips are fun but not if you're on a segway.

Good examples: Zineth
Bad examples: Skyrim

It's all about the sense of freedom and discovery. Give me the shinespark. Give me the fast. (pic related is probably a shit example but it looks nice)
>>
>>323613301

Well I might not agree about the combat, the tread is about exploration and hinestly, this game is now one of my favorite only because of that, it is just fun walking around and discovering new places.
>>
>>323613606
why does he have a turd on his head
>>
No, I mean, why
If theres no chest or collectable why would I explore?
>>
>>323613808
Jesus fuck, get out of here.
>>
>>323611030
Game?
>>
>>323613028
But Anon, there's no monsters to kill every 4 minutes for money.
>>
>>323613028
then maybe game devs should stop using ''large''
(fucking lie Skyrim can hardly be considered large for example) open worlds as main feature?
>>
>>323612174
Muh nigga
>>
>>323611030
Is anyone even playing Rift anymore?
>>
>>323613301
While I do not agree with your comment on the combat I would defend to the death your right to express said opinion.
>>
>>323611030
this gave me a mild panic attack.

big bodies of water with big things in them.
>>
>>323613808
>If theres no chest or collectable

ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this is why video games died. i give you exhbit a.
>>
>>323611928
The first romp around Skyrim was pretty neat.
But by the third time you come across Old Orc it's boring.
>>
>>323611030

That was amazing.

Its a shame every MMO is shit though.
>>
>>323611936
The fuck are you talking about, it has one of the blandest open worlds ever made.
It's emptier than MGSV.
>>
>>323611030
I enjoy Mad Max on PS4, I think it does Fallout better than FO4 did.
>>
>>323612174
this, XCX is definitely an good example of exploration done right. It's not perfect mind you, just make sure you go through a good portion of every continent before you get a skell, otherwise the exploration becomes much more simple and trivial.
>>
>>323613606
look at all that fucking nothing
bonus points for being hidden by fog to trick retarded players
>>
>>323614504
Clearly. Nobody likes exploring in it. It failed on consoles, and since then hasn't been touched.
>>
>>323614347
Explorefags killed video games. The world designers love putting in tons of generic pointless scenery, but not enough players care because there's no powerups or useful items to get. Instead they add collectibles and players who want 100% completion have to get all the maguffins hidden in these stupid areas. They use collectible stats to justify their jobs making boring scenery for explorefags like themselves.
>>
I enjoy exploration in ESO tbqh.
I can't understand the hate on it.
The price model is ok. You can easily enjoy a few houndred hours before you get to the point you want to have the subscription.
The map is big and dense, mostly sidequests. Chests everywhere. Raw materials everywhere. bretty gud.
>>
>>323614809
The environments are interesting but there's nothing there besides enemies and blue diamonds to collect. It's a straight MMO world where nothing matters and you have no lasting impact, there's no interesting secrets to find or secret quests or storylets to uncover.
>>
>>323611030
Holy shit am I the only one but THAT fucking Swimming Animation WTF.
>>
>>323611030
The only thing I thought while watching your webm was: "Why Batman is swimming into R'lyeh?"
>>
File: 2011-02-26_235246.jpg (927 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2011-02-26_235246.jpg
927 KB, 1920x1080
I was really impressed with Rift's zones in that expansion, but it still couldn't keep me in the game.
Way too much currency/token grinding.

>>323614164
Started in beta and lost interest once F2P was announced. I came back for that water expansion, had a blast leveling and exploring, and then quit when the grind became apparent.
The warrior healing soul was really fun, though.
it deserves to be far more popular than it is, especially since the game is heavily dependent on the community
>>
>>323615276
I wouldn't say that, they're are lots of areas and landmarks that are hidden from plain sight to find, and going around fighting tyrants can be pretty fun too. Also there are some areas where there will be an npc around with a quest, not to mention that there are also treasures scattered all around that can sometimes give you rewarding stuff.
>>
>>323616963
And what are there in the landmarks? More blue diamonds to pick up or a probe to place to increase your arbitrary exploration %

And those tyrants? Respawning enemies that you basically fight the same as you fight anything else in that game, using overddrive to try and kill before they have the chance to even fight back, and even if you win they'll just respawn next time you're there again.
>>
>>323613606
Funny enough in Morrowind there is all sorts ways of game breaking travel, from buffing your speed to an absurd degree (belt of blinding speed is an early-game example if you know how to work around it), to levitating or jump magic to all sorts of place, and the ability to create your own teleport point.
>>
>>323616870
Eh, wish I could've gotten into it.

It just ended up feeling like WoW, and at the time I thought that I may as well play WoW instead of a WoW clone.
>>
>>323611030
name of game?
>>
>>323613028
Thanks Dad.
>>
>>323612317
Witcher 3 lacks actual player agency in it's exploration...I mean, hear me out
I like Witcher 3, but all of it's good "exploration" is tied to some quest and often times shit doesn't exist unless you trigger something like a quest, hell you can never do a quest from midway
As opposed to something like Morrowind where you could literally go from game start to Vivec cantons, kill Vivec and get wraithguard and now you would be instantly 1/3rds into the main quest
>>
>>323614695
Well, it should be. Since the fact that the entire Fallout series was based on a Mad-Max-style game.
>>
File: 1452482755619.png (191 KB, 630x776) Image search: [Google]
1452482755619.png
191 KB, 630x776
>>323613028
>Most areas are off-limits
>All accessible areas are shit
Nah I'm good.
>>
File: 1398948956538.png (7 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1398948956538.png
7 KB, 500x500
>>323611030
The game is Rift if anyone is wondering.

It has a beautiful world but endgame in it fucking confusing. After you ding lvl65 you have no idea what to do, and most mobs in high level content fuck you up.
>>
>>323617607
It's Rift- a WoW clone MMORPG.
It's F2P, but those water areas are high level so keep that in mind.
It's pretty good, but becomes less good at max level when you start dealing with tokens and weekly caps on earning them
>>
>>323618020

Can't be any worse than FFXIV or WoW, can it?
>>
>>323618103
I liked it a lot, but have no patience for that endgame grind.
The soul system (any class can tank, heal, or support) works very well and gives you a lot of fun stuff to mess with, but you'll need to pay to unlock some of them.
If you start playing, make sure you pick a high population shard- it's heavily reliant on community.
Have fun, I wish I could go exploring in it for the first time again.
>>
>>323615268
the hate it gets is mostly from three things
A) posers on /v/ who pretend to know lore and hate it for le ebin khajiit said sithis XD shit or actual lorefags like me who can can not fathom why they would portray wild hunt as two glowing red werewolves and why fuck up everything and all related to Magna-Ge and Amulet of Kings.
B) A lot of the PVE mechanics are shit, dungeons are worse than Skyrim tier, instancing is shit and I got bored of combat pretty fast because no matter how much "better" it is than most MMO's it's still shit combat with none of the usual TES mainline game freedom.
C) Freedom, the main reason why people hate and why I hate it is because I expected a sandbox MMO as opposed a themepark MMO...but of course, expecting an MMO about one of the most popular sandbox games to be a sandbox is silly.

TESO is another showcase of why modern MMO is cancer, everyone wants MMOs to be this new player hugboxes where no one is ever hurt and there is zero sandbox involved.
>>
>>323618324

I don't mind the grind as long as it's somewhat enjoyable. My main concern comes from raiding, as raiding in FFXIV completely turned me off from it.
>>
>>323616870

The game died when they decided the nerf the rift spawns to nothing on release. They game was fun with constant threats of rifts.

Destroyed their one unique feature
>>
>>323617198
>to increase your arbitrary exploration %

It also helps your income of materials, miranium, and credits by using the right probe. It's also a fast travel point. How much of the game have you played? Anyone who has played the game knows that probes are the best thing about the exploration.
>>
>>323618485
It has around 100k total players now

Also p2w gear
>>
I am going to be that faggot, but Morrowind has the best exploration out of any vidya ever in my opinion, mainly because of one thing, player agency.
Everything is truly open, not in a shitty
>YOU CAN DO EEERRYYYTHAAANG
way, it's just that world is actually constructed and filled without the player in mind, yes, without the player in mind.
When you go around and enter a certain Daedric shrine there are people minding their rituals and shit, you might enter a cave and find that someone is murdering someone else only to discover later that you stumbled upon a quest midway through.
I mean, when a game lets you find a quest to go kill a giant in a cave or just stumble upon the same cave and the giant is still there, that gives me the greatest feeling of true freedom and exploration.
>>
>>323618485
I can't comment on the raiding, but it was infamous for being really difficult when I last played (2 years ago). Rift was (in)famous for its difficult (yet well designed) raids, but I don't know how it is today. Check the official forums and you might get a good idea, I suppose.

>>323618508
Yeah, that was a big disappointment. The NPCs stopped taking over towns as well, at least for any period of time. Players should be punished for their failure.
>>
>>323618952
/thread
>>
>>323618857

I heard the P2W gear was a lower tier gear set for an absurd price. I am not saying that forgives P2W but it does make it slightly better than other P2W games.
>>
>>323619112
That's how it was when I last played it.
Don't expect /v/ to be reasonable about these things, although I hate the idea of any equipment bought with RL money.
I really, really miss the days of monthly subscription.
>>
>>323619290

Same.
>>
If its freedom and open areas doesnt FF12 does it right?
>>
>>323615276
well what do you want exactly man?

you sound a little hard to please.
>>
>>323618952
And that is the reason why Witcher 3 felt somewhat painful to me, because I knew they could do so much better with it.
I mean, every time I had to turn on Witcher sense to follow this on rails trigger road to trigger certain events I felt fucking pain, especially when I would stumble upon something in witcher senses but it would not activate until I would follow it in a specific way and activate several other things before that.
That shit wasn't there just in the quest progression, it also concerned certain mobs which often did not appear again until quest triggered them, and NPC's that were not there until quest made them appear etc.
Witcher 3 could be so much better if they would simply trust the player more and let the world run it's course.
>>
>>323619415
OP is a fag because he doesn't define the exact openness and freedom he means
>>
File: gothic.jpg (511 KB, 1838x860) Image search: [Google]
gothic.jpg
511 KB, 1838x860
>tfw Gothic is dead
>>
>>323618952
You mean, like, runescape?
I dont know if runescape had great exploration or if i'm wearing my nostalgia goggles again
>>
>>323617763
>Hell you can't start a quest midway.

Yes you can.
>>
why explore when you can just read a wiki instead
>>
>>323620218
Really? I've reloaded and checked stuff like that after it became apparent to me how railroaded a lot of the quest sections were.
What quests can you start midway by just encountering quest chunks?
>>323620010
I believe that while Runescape might have been crude, in the same way Ultima Online is...and it was also grindy as shit, it had great player agency, something that MMOs completely forgot.
>>
>>323620474
That's a silly question, why do anything in vidya?
Exploration just like any other gameplay element is there to stimulate certain feelings and emotions.
>>
>>323619510
Except that you can find quests midway through them. Just the other day I found some Fiend near a road in Skellige that was the bounty for a contract I hadn't started yet.

And a few quests have different starts for them that will trigger depending on which you find first.
>>
>>323611030
>you swim in water
>you swim and swim
>some huge motherfucker shows up above you
>swim down
>get through some weird water border
>fall down to the bottom
Wait, what?
>>
>>323621851
I could be a faggot by saying that
>hurr bounties don't count
But sure, you are probably right, still Witcher 3 was often very railroady in it's quests for my tastes.
>>
>>323622386
>>hurr bounties don't count
But that's what always requires following footprints and searching for clues. So you do sound like a faggot.
>>
>>323622630
Hence why I didn't say that, but
>But that's what always requires following footprints and searching for clues
is wrong
every other quest in Witcher had following footprints, it's just that with bounties it's 99% of them having bounties.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.