[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Unpopular opinions. I'll start: System Shock 1 >
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10
File: Sysshock[1].jpg (42 KB, 361x500) Image search: [Google]
Sysshock[1].jpg
42 KB, 361x500
ITT: Unpopular opinions.

I'll start:
System Shock 1 > System Shock 2
>>
>>323446705
>System Shock 1 > System Shock 2
But that's true.
>>
I agree, but I haven't actually beaten System Shock 2. Only got like 10 hours in.

Fucking Shodan.
>>
>>323446705
This isn't unpopular at all.

It's wrong, but it isn't unpopular.
>>
>>323446705
That's a fact, not an opinion
>>
Unreal Tournament > Quake III
>>
File: Ocean_house_hotel.jpg (45 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
Ocean_house_hotel.jpg
45 KB, 800x640
the ocean house wasn't that great of a level
>>
>>323447702
I will fight you.
>>
>>323446705
Metal Gear Solid fucking sucks.
>>
Red Dead Redemption is the best Rockstar game.
>>
Dark Souls 2 is a great game
The Witcher is boring
God Hand has the best hand-to-hand combat system ever created
A console is only as good as the games available for it; hardware is largely irrelevant.
>>
How long is SS1 on an average playthrough?
>>
>>323447141

It was to be expected, given SS2's recent rise in popularity, that some people would preach their contrary credo no matter what.
>>
>>323449390

I don't think anyone who prefers SS1 dislikes SS2, they are both excellent games.
>>
>>323449390
I think it's more that the recent re-release drew attention toward SS1, and some people who never bothered with it before found that they prefer it.
>>
Brawl is the only good Smash largely because of how modable it is
>>
Final Fantasy Lighting Returns is the only final fantasy game worth playing
>>
>>323449641
SS2 is really dragged down by stat bullshit and weapon degradation. If I want to hack a panel, I'm going to fucking hack it and not spend some arbitrary video game points to allow me to do so. SS1's interface is also pretty dope. I love that I can do everything with my mouse. Also there is like 9 different leaning options.
>>
Both games are good, just different. 1 is a first person action adventure. 2 is a survival horror sci fi RPG. Different strokes.
>>
I found Halo to be offensively bad. Played it at release, never tried any of the sequels and spinoffs.
>>
I never played SS1. Played SS2 last summer and hated it actually. Tedious, weapon breaking all the time, confusing level lay out, lots of annoying fetch quests. Shodan was decently cool. Ending was suitably trippy.

Bioshock was system shock 2 but much better.

Dragon's Dogma is only a good game. The quest structure combined with extremely limited fast-travel is obnoxious.

Diablo 3 feels perfect on console due to the joypad control scheme.

Infinity Ward Call of Duties post MW have fun SP campaigns and are the best SP campaigns in the series.

30FPS is just fine with a little bit of motion blur and I'll sacrifice 60fps for better graphics/effects and a solid 30fps.

Tekken is whack. I don't care much for SNK fighters either.

Metroid Prime could've been an amazing game but the control scheme was jacked up.

Perfect Dark was not better than goldeneye by an stretch, though adding bots was really novel for n64 era.
>>
>>323449842
Is the time limit as much of a problem as the game presents itself as?

Or am I actually limited in how many sidequests I can complete in a single playthrough?
>>
>>323450279
There aren't really any NPCs, so sidequests are a non-issue. The only thing to take you off the main path is just exploration, and you set your own schedule for that.
>>
>>323450097
Lol, I got Halo at launch and loved it. So many great memories of halo. I liked the series less and less as time went on and upon returning to MCC late last year I found I couldn't play halo 1 and 2 anymore. Just couldn't do it.
>>
Duke 3D, Blood, and Shadow Warrior are all better than Doom.
>>
File: community_image_1422101748.jpg (100 KB, 632x493) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1422101748.jpg
100 KB, 632x493
>>323450270

>bioshock is system shock 2 but better

you are a faggot
>>
File: 1452035350507.png (82 KB, 499x1812) Image search: [Google]
1452035350507.png
82 KB, 499x1812
Black Ops 1 had an interesting story and I was moved to tears by Dimitri's death

The C-Consciousness did nothing wrong
>>
>>323450409

I mostly found the level design to be extremely simple, empty and repetitive compared to other games in the genre. Didn't like the overall feel of weapons and movement or design decisions like the regenerating shield either. Visual design and music was pretty cool I guess.
>>
>>323450486
Search your heart. You know its true. Its okay.
>>
I liked Life is Strange and thought the story was interesting and well told. Even with the somewhat crappy ending.
>>
>>323450270
>Bioshock was system shock 2 but much better
I politely disagree, and I talk as someone who played the Bioshock games before SS2.
SS2 is actually challenging, it had enemy diversity, something Bioshock lacked, and I never found the level layout confusing.
>>
File: 23234234234.jpg (335 KB, 985x1380) Image search: [Google]
23234234234.jpg
335 KB, 985x1380
F.E.A.R. is a mediocre, boring FPS to the point that I had to force myself to finish it.
>>
>>323450673
Level design really was horrid. Weapons were alright, but the games pacing was really bad. Right game at right time for I guess, since at the time I loved it.

Here is another unpopular opinion-- Killzone 2 was a legitimately great shooter!
>>
File: 1411354532870.jpg (62 KB, 672x846) Image search: [Google]
1411354532870.jpg
62 KB, 672x846
>>323450740

The many were a much more compelling villian, and being unable to actually store food made it pointless.

The twist was poorly done, the whole thing is that after shodan reveals herself, she still has you by the balls until the end of the game. After the twist in bioshock you get freedom in universe.

The endings also have nothing to do with any of the themes of the game, and end up being based on an entirely arbitrary morality point involving little sisters.
>>
>>323450773
That's literally the consensus on LiS.

>>323450854
FEAR is not a horror game. It's first person Matrix.
>>
>>323449390
>SS2's recent rise in popularity
Potential underage showing here - SS2 has always been known as a solid game since it was released
>>
>>323451001
>the consensus on LiS.
Eh most of the threads I see about LiS are people shitting on it.
>>
Quake 2 may not have been as groundbreaking as the first game but it was a much more fun experience.

I'll never understand the hate Q2 gets on this board.

Also, Diablo-style ARPGs stop being fun after you're 15
>>
>>323451140
This is /v/, what do you expect?
>>
>>323450828
Well, we must agree to disagree, which is fine. I also played SS2 after bioshock. I tried to go in with an open mind, there is so much of SS2 to praise and enjoy-- for its time it was extremely modern and has a lot of ways to play it, SS2 is still a very modern and diverse game. So much effort was put into making it and giving the player options, but the guns breaking was annoying, there was a lot of stat management, I found the enemy re-spawns to be a bit cheap as well given that resources are often scarce.

Wouldn't mind a system shock 3. And playing Bioshock infinite made me appreciate Bioshock 1 more than I thought I would.
>>
>>323451204

Diablo-style ARPGs were never fun to begin with. One of the shittiest styles of vidya there is.
>>
>>323451204
Q2 is my favorite
>>
>>323451316
http://othersidetease.com/sss.php
>>
>>323451204
>>323451343
I thought I was the only one.

I tried so hard to get into them. Games like Torchlight put me to fucking sleep.
>>
>>323451204
Q2 gets hate on this board? I don't remember that much about what ppl on v say about Q2. I thought it was an excellent game and the soundtrack was on point.

Q4 was also excellent and I'm so sad we didn't see more quake.
>>
>>323451540

I never managed to play through the entirety of Diablo 2, it was just so fucking dull.
>>
File: 1450063834922.jpg (18 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
1450063834922.jpg
18 KB, 330x330
>>323446705
Nah SS1 is a clearly a better game.
>more emphasis on player exploration
>level design is far more interesting
>music is more memorable
>better hacking
>shodan actually felt like a threat to the player
>didn't fall apart the last few levels

2 is still a great game tho.
>>
secret of mana is a terrible game.
>>
The Witcher games are garbage.
>>
>>323451498
Oh yeah. I saw that earlier and forgot about it. Heck. I even took the little survey. Thanks for the reminder though.

>>323450978
I agree with you on that. I just felt that as a game the good stuff was locked behind stats and too much resource management, whereas Bioshock was more accessable/casual. yeah, i liked SS2 story more.

But lets be real-- going into that giant worm thing? That was terrible. It was like Crysis-- If I do play it again I'm quitting right when I go inside the alien ship. Its up there with Halo 3 and that flood infested ship. It was a terrible experience.
>>
>>323451540
I played Torchlight, thought it was okay but would be a lot more fun with multiplayer. I bought the second one on launch and put even less time into it than the first one. I thought Path of Exile was mind-numbing and I played through the first half of Van Helsing until I realized that the second half was going to just be more of the same. I think it's got more to do with the fact that I'm not in high school any more like I was when Diablo 2 came out.
>>
>>323451316
Honestly I think stat management isn't really a problem. I invested all of my points into psi skills that literally did nothing because I didn't know any better and I had no difficulties getting through the game.
I never had to deal with guns breaking though , I can see how that would be annoying, but I thought the repair skill made it a non-issue.
Enemy respawns and scarce resources greatly contribute to the horror aspect of the game.

I need someone to convince me to play bioshock though, I got 2 hours into the game and couldn't go any further because the focus was on boring gun gameplay.
>>
>>323450270
>confusing level lay out

the fuck are you on about, the levels are very logical taking into account that they're space ship decks. also, you have a fucking map and there are oftentimes signs on the walls. you want confusing level design? play shadowman
>>
>>323452278
I don't remember the exact pacing of bioshock, but once plasmids open up more you can use them and the environment more than guns, there are tons of great options for that, but the focus isn't going to change too much, its more self-consciously a shooter. You already know what you are getting into so there is probably no reason for you to play it. Art direction is very nice though.
>>
>>323452278
Bioshock is a game you play for the atmosphere. The gunplay is probably the weakest part of it. (maybe the crafting might be worse)

They're generally simple hitscan weapons that don't do very much damage even against the weakest enemies and it takes forever to switch to different ammo types.

Bioshock 2 fixes some of the issues but if you can't stand the first game, I don't think you'll find the sequel any more tolerable.
>>
>>323451059
If you ask people what System Shock 2 is they either say

>the predecessor to Bioshock?
or
>What?
>>
>>323446705
RE1 > REmake
>>
>>323452915

only if they're normalfags or underageb&. SS2 was a big AAA release back in 1999
>>
>>323450828
>SS2 is actually challenging
someone post the webm
>>
>>323453047
>big release
>normalfags wouldn't know about it
That's a contradictory statement
>>
>>323453279

no, because most normalfags started to play vidya in 2007 when it became hip
>>
>>323453047
If it was a big release LGS wouldn't have gone under.

RIP ;_;7
>>
>>323453047

All the Looking Glass franchises were kind of niche though. Still, System Shock 2 is certainly a well-known game in gaming circles, anyone with any real interest in PC gaming would know about it
>>
>>323453385
My 60 year old dad was playing popular vidya in 1998. There's no way that's not normalfag.

He was pretty big into arcades though. Asteroids, Donkey Kong, and Zaxxon were his thing.
>>
>>323453423

they went under because of eidos, not because of the games they made

>>323453774

it's not, but your dad sounds cool
>>
>>323453998
He is pretty cool. He got me into gaming in the first place, kek.

Those are some fond memories.
>>
>>323451343
>>323451540
I simply can't enjoy ARPGs either.
>>
Looking Glass was a victim of bad timing.
SS was released at the same time as Doom and SS2 was released at the same time as Half-Life.
>>
>>323454351
They were a victim of being too good for this gay world.
>>
>>323453279
If you played went to a PC game store, read PC gaming publications/websites or belonged to any video game forums at the time, you would have been well aware of SS2. It may have not been as big as UT or Q3A but it was almost immediately a cult classic.

I didn't even play it until years later but I had heard plenty of people hyping it as the scariest, most immersive sci-fi FPS/RPG hybrid ever created. I remember a lot of people regarded it as the most frightening game they've ever played for years after its release.
>>
File: image.jpg (649 KB, 800x4655) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
649 KB, 800x4655
>>323446705
>>
>>323454805
Weak b8, m8
>>
Reddit gaming has a lot of good subreddits about games actually, lots of good tips and guides.
>>
>>323451059

Do you even know what popularity means, illiterate (underage) faggot?
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.