[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /v/ suddenly hate Chrono Cross again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: chrono cross.jpg (206 KB, 640x610) Image search: [Google]
chrono cross.jpg
206 KB, 640x610
Why does /v/ suddenly hate Chrono Cross again?
>>
Chrono Cross soundtrack is shit - Pat.
>>
File: 90aw5s.gif (342 KB, 396x303) Image search: [Google]
90aw5s.gif
342 KB, 396x303
>/v/ hates the best ps1 rpg

go figure
>>
>>323442386

I always suspected there had to be something irredeemable about his taste.
>>
cause it's fucking garbage?

>kill off the main characters off screen
>convoluted dimension traveling
>fisherman has god powers
>dragons can talk
>too many cooks
>>
>>323442212

Because its not Chrono Trigger.

Seriously that's it.

People assume that the apex of character development is deeply relating to all characters, which just isn't true. There are lots of critically acclaimed movies that have protags that aren't relateable. This game is about player agency and how small decisions can impact your relationship with the world and the people around you. Having the game focus on a small group of 3-5 characters would neuter it.
>>
this game sucks
>>
>>323442212
I never really enjoyed Chrono Cross. I don't outright hate it but I don't like it either.

>>323443094
Because its not Chrono Trigger.
Also this.
>>
Is the gameplay good? Is the story at least bearable?
>>
>>323442212
>suddenly
16 years is a bit longer than suddenly, my friend.
>>
File: Radical_dreamers.png (17 KB, 512x444) Image search: [Google]
Radical_dreamers.png
17 KB, 512x444
>>323442212
It ruined Radical Dreamers.
>>
>>323442212
/v/ always hated this game. I love it
>>
>>323442212
Not hating it, but it's not direct sequel to first one.

Harle best girl
>>
>>323443601
Yes. Leagues ahead of CT and the concept is similar to FF7 but more customizable.

Story is great, confusing at times, but if you like a plot with a lot of storylines like FF7 it's good.
>>
>>323443686
Actually, the creator of Radical Dreamers hated it so much he made Chrono Cross to fix the abomination.
>>
I like it I hope Square Enix remake this for Steam. I don't want to emu it. Because it's worth money.
>>
>>323443793
That's good then! I have it on my list of PS1 games to play. Probably gonna give it a try after and if I finiah Vargant Story.
>>
>>323443601

People like to complain about the battle system but it makes perfect since form a logical standpoint.

You have a stamina bar and it dictates how many actions you can take before you hit zero and your characters turn is over. You have light, medium, and heavy attacks that have levels of accuracy degrading in that order, and spells that use the whole bar (you can go into the negative but doing so will make it take that much longer for you to get your turn).

Its great because rather than just choosing an attack you can take a quick jab at the enemy and heal a friend or just do a quick combination of light and heavy hits.Or you could go all in and do as many hits as you can and end with a big spell. Its all up to you and your judgement of the situation.

When this game came out this kind of combat was unheard of in turn based games, it was innovation incarnate and still is today in many ways.
>>
File: index.jpg (9 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9 KB, 251x201
Chrono Cross was my favorite game ever until Xseed localized Trails in the Sky.

Pic related, it's my waifu
>>
File: 1442581451861.png (90 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
1442581451861.png
90 KB, 300x240
>>323442212
>Why does /v/ suddenly
I see you are an underage, meeming, obnoxious faggot, don't know why my word filters didn't auto hide your phrase.

The combat system is unnecessary, drawn out and no fun.
The characters are not very likable and you never spend enough time with any of them to get to know them.
The accents do not work in writing, it just makes it annoying to read.
The story is a fucking mess and had no reason to be a Chrono game to begin with.
If you don't do the right shit your ending is short and garbage at the time I had no idea why my ending was so short and crap.
What it did right was the music and the graphics were probably the best on the PS1.
>>
>n the English version, she speaks with an Australian or British Cockney accent, and includes many colloquialisms, such as "bugger" and "mate", from those dialects in her speech.
>AUSFAILIA

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING
>>
I WANT TO FUCK CAT BOY
>>
http://chrono.wikia.com/wiki/Kid

>Unavailable for a large portion of the game

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING
>>
>>323444771
>>323444939
Kill yourself. Kid is a qt and the best girl in both Chrono games.

>>323444731
>The story is a fucking mess and had no reason to be a Chrono game to begin with.
So you don't understand the story then. It is directly related to Chrono Trigger. Cry more bitchass.
>>
>>323443601
No. Combat is serviceable but gets overly simplistic as the game goes on, the RPG mechanics are obtuse as fuck. There's a lot of very innocuous choices that put you on paths to get certain characters. It doesn't really matter in the end, but there's a lot of stupid shit, like locking out your childhood friend's best tech if you make the wrong choice at the beginning of the game with no indication that it matters at all.

The story is really dumb and incredibly poorly told. It's very convoluted for the entire game, and then the ending exposition dumps on you for half an hour and explains everything and it's retarded.
>>
>>323442212
>WAHHHHH IT'S NOT CHRONO TRIGGER

Is basically what I always hear here
>>
>>323445402
Are you a fucking retard?

Kid is clearly the most important char of the game but unavailable for most of it, it's beyond FULL RETARD that they would do this
>>
>>323445413
Found the guy who didn't understand the plot.

>>323443601
Despite what the brainless haters will tell you, the game is actually a lot of fun. The combat/magic system is pretty unique, and worth trying out.
>>
Why does anyone like chrono trigger again
>>
>>323445564
>it's beyond FULL RETARD that they would do this
Not really. Maybe you don't like it, but it's not "retarded" to do it.
>>
>>323443094

>Not Chrono Trigger

For a sequel, that's pretty big downside.
>>
>>323445661
Because Chrono Trigger has the ultimate generic self-insert silent protagonist. He's literally just your average generic spikey-headed hero. BORING.

Chrono Cross has a pretty unique protagonist who is very appropriate for the setting of the game. Although I wish he wasn't silent. I hate silent protagonists.
>>
>>323445669
Yeah, you're a moron, stop posting
>>
>>323445580
You just have no taste. There's nothing to understand, the completely unmotivated exposition dump at the end of the game tells you everything. It's absolutely retarded and fits right in with every other subplot that is equally stupid.
>>
>>323445661
I've tried getting through it a few times and I still don't know why
>>
>>323445661

Because it was a fun cartoon adventure in RPG form. It also had a good soundtrack, and I enjoyed the art and character designs.

Plus who the fuck doesn't like Frog? Faggots?
>>
>>323442212
Cross has a retarded ass plot and should have never been made.
>>
>>323445812
lol convincing argument. Move along, kiddo.

>>323445916
The story is actually told pretty well, and if you don't go into it expecting it to be shit, then you can actually have a lot of fun. Unfortunately, retards like you probably got confused in your initial playthrough and decided to give up and just talk shit about it instead.
>>
PC port when?
>>
>>323446329

Forever ago, where have you been?
>>
>>323446217
>The story is actually told pretty well

I'm sure that convinced him. powerful points.
>>
Like a lot of classics, people feel they need to like Chrono Cross because they should and don't form their own opinion on it.

It's one of those "gamer cred" things to say you actually enjoy it beyond the music and the artistic style. Anything further than the surface and it begins to completely fall apart.

The plot is where Square games began to really decline and become the mess they are now. Japanese are fuck stories like Kingdom Hearts where two souls merge and then there's this third counter part, and the essence of the thing, and here's a "deep" plot point of forced contrived drama that is supposed to explain to the character regret and consequence.

The main villain is the same one from the previous game, but now it's merged with the time stopped dimensional soul of Scala who split herself into another wandering soul which is now split into two wandering souls between the two universes and both instrumental in bringing about peace and chaos, light and darkness, and the proper ending is only done when you play a melody in time with the Time Devourer that merges all the elements into one lullaby that awakens her and the two dimensions merge into one singular entity and then a live action video of a girl walking on railroad tracks plays.

If a film student intern could have made a JPRG, it's Chrono Cross.

Everyone else did a stellar job. Looks great, plays well enough and tries to circumvent grinding, and the soundtrack is iconic.

Otherwise it's lackluster and dull.
>>
>>323446459
There is no PC version of Chrono Cross.

>>323446580
>Him
You mean you.
>>
>>323444524
Up you arse oh yes!
>>
>>323443601
I really like the premise the game and side characters related stories. But at some point the main story picks up and starts revealing more stuff and explaining how the world works and motivations behind some characters actions. And holy shit no other game lost me that hard like this one did at that point. But those moments that I liked were absolutely amazing in my opinion.
Also OST is godtier, the battle system is interesting and not often used and new game plus is pretty cool.
>>
File: Kuwabara.jpg (234 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Kuwabara.jpg
234 KB, 1280x960
Cross was the logical evolution of the series, and it was nice to see the results of the Trigger cast and their rampant abuse of the timeline. Nothing about the plot progression from Trigger to Cross struck me as out of place.

For example, you put one of the sages, one of the leading minds of Zeal, a kingdom where people had zero fucking restraint when it came to scientific and magical research, and he comes up with FATE and Chronopolis, because he can't fucking help himself. You have the Dragons, who are what the planet actually wanted to happen, a reptite civilization that worked in harmony with nature instead of subduing it. You have Crono and Marle who have grown complacent getting their shit pushed in by the man they took everything away from, who was a military genius let's not forget.

The Trigger cast fucked with the timeline recklessly and reaped what they sowed.
>>
>>323443601
Gameplay/combat is pretty shit, CC isn't a very good RPG.

The story however is incredible, as is the world/setting.

It's a great game, specially if you like philosophical bullshit, go ahead and play it.
>>
>>323446714

Emulation?
>>
>>323447520
I meant a legit PC version, possibly with some minor upgrades, like all the other PC ports have gotten.
>>
>>323447082
>You have Crono and Marle who have grown complacent getting their shit pushed in by the man they took everything away from, who was a military genius let's not forget.

I don't remember the plot of trigger so well. Can someone fill me in on what was implied here?
>>
>>323442212
But I don't. In fact, it's one of my favourite old games.
>>
File: laughing.jpg (25 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
25 KB, 400x386
The best part of Chrono Cross is seeing Trigger fanboys who either don't understand the plot or never played the game get all butthurt and scream "BUT IT'S NOT A CHRONO GAME REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
>>
File: Dalton.jpg (102 KB, 490x650) Image search: [Google]
Dalton.jpg
102 KB, 490x650
>>323447629

The Trigger cast bring down Zeal, and absolutely fuck over Dalton, the leader of Zeal's military. In doing so they create a dangerous enemy, who eventually catches up to them and wipes their nation off the face of the planet.
>>
>>323447863
Didn't he get sent into a black hole

>>323447830
I played the game for a while, I remember Kid being sick and you were supposed to go to a different world via the beach but the stupid thing never triggered for me so I sold the game for $10 more than I spent on it
>>
>>323442386
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUPbMd2fbp8
>>
File: laughing de rol le.jpg (231 KB, 632x632) Image search: [Google]
laughing de rol le.jpg
231 KB, 632x632
>>323447830
>THERE'S NO REAL LINK BETWEEN TRIGGER AND CROSS EXCEPT A THROWAWAY BEACH SCENE
>IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THE MAKERS OF TRIGGER DIDN'T WANT IT TO BE RELATED TO CROSS
>CTDS comes out with an extra chapter that categorically leads to events that happen in Cross and references Cross

The fucking salt on /v/ when that was released was absolutely hilarious.
>>
nobody hates it it was just overrated.
>>
both CT and CC are both of my favorite games of all time for different reasons and that's actually great
>>
>>323447863
>joke character kills the protagonist

my head is shaking pretty hard
>>
OH YEAH!

Another great thing about Chrono Cross was the leveling system, or lack thereof, really. It doesn't really have levels. You get some tiny stat upgrades from fighting battles, and some from beating bosses, but they're not that huge a deal.

Basically, you can skip every battle if you want, and beating bosses is about skill rather than grinding for levels.
>>
>>323448617
>Joke character because he broke the fourth wall

Come on bruh, he's a fucking Trombe.
>>
>>323448652
>beating bosses is about skill rather than grinding for levels
wew lad
>>
>>323448747
I guess but he just came off as incompetent to me in the game, and kind of a joke. All he had going for him was his golems.
>>
This game suffers from the Zelda MM syndrome.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.