[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am about to play this for the first time, what am i getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7
I am about to play this for the first time, what am i getting into? Any advices for someone who knows jack shit about elder scrolls besides the average skyrim shit? What kind of shit from skyrim i shouldn't try doing on oblivion?
>>
>>323351165
Fallout 3 without guns
>>
>>323351841
You're Fucking retarded
>>
File: 1437955687187.jpg (25 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1437955687187.jpg
25 KB, 500x375
>>323352452
bethesdrone detected
>>
>>323352592
How is Oblivion anything like Fallout 3?
>>
File: 1437866161528.jpg (31 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
1437866161528.jpg
31 KB, 505x431
>>323352683
It's shit
>>
>>323351165
Piece of actual advice here. Look up how to properly level your character. It is possible to completely fuck yourself and get stuck with a severely under powered character due to poor leveling.
>>
>>323352763
It isn't
>>
>>323351165
I have fond memories of this game, just play it and enjoy yourself.
>>
>>323351165
Terrible combat, but great quests. DBH is the best quest chain. WHODUNNIT 10/10
>>
>>323352792
Also I'd recommend some mods to tweak a bit here and there as you see fit. I have one that makes caves dark as fuck, so it's spookier and makes a torch necessary, also one for open cities.
>>
>>323351165
Get the mod that makes restoration training not take months.
Oh and don't try to dual wield I guess?
>>
File: 1426362482126.jpg (65 KB, 438x503) Image search: [Google]
1426362482126.jpg
65 KB, 438x503
>>323352813
it pretty much marked the beginning of bethesda's downfall anon
>>
>>323351165

100% chameleon = gg
>>
I should really play the racing game they made so I can determine if Oblivion is my least favorite Bethesda Game Studios game after Fallout Shelter.
>>
>>323353657
Fallout 3 is better than Oblivion in almost every way
>>
>>323352792
thanks, any character builds you would recommend?
>>323352951
I am staying away from mods for now, going dry and clean with no DLC and shit so i can experience it for what it is, them i will try to polish the turd, if you know what i mean
>>
>>323353923
Could you explain why?
>>
>>323353923
Oblivion is better than Fallout 3*
>>
>>323354008
i would definitely start with some texture mods,
oblivion character overhaul (makes faces higher quality)
high quality rugs
qarls texture pack 3 for nmm
improved trees and flora 2
unnofficial oblivion patch
>fixes a fuckton of bugs
>>
>>323351165
its like fallout without guns.

Bethesda games really aren't all that diff from each other but in a nutshell oblivion has more RPG elements than skyrim

Combat is just as awful as any other vanilla beth game so mods are mandatory unless you want spongy enemies that do piss damage to you and take forever to kill

Althetics and aerobics will take years to level so use cheats to multiply the exp gain because you'll unlock a dodge move that makes combat slightly more interesting.

Only choose skills you'll level a lot for your major skills because leveling those up will level your whole character.

Dark brotherhood questine is great and gives you very nice rewards, worth the hassle of the first few hit missions.

You can get a really strong sword early on by finding and killing umbra. Shes strong but you can hide on a prop and cheese with ranged attacks
>>
>>323354627
Oblivion is nothing like Fallout 3
>>
>>323352592
Fuck off lahey, you drunk bastard
>>
>>323354152
I disagree but I enjoy the Fallout universe more than the Elder Scrolls universe. That and the last time I played Fallout 3 was with Tale of Two Wastelands which may have skewed my opinion.
>>
File: 1426119329215.jpg (156 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1426119329215.jpg
156 KB, 803x688
>>323354870
>oversimplifies mechanics from previous game
>literally zero memorable characters besides that one guy voiced by that famous dude
>repetitive copy/paste dungeons
>bugs out the ass
>garbage combat
>scaling enemies
>>
>>323354130
Not him but
>don't have to jump in place to train a skill, cast the same spell over and over and over and over and over
>more actual dlc
>radio with violin music, fuck 3dawg
>guns
>robot companions
I guess the only thing oblivion has over fallout, to me, is the lush wilderness and I enjoyed the mage's guild.
>>
>>323356276
Oblivion has better writing
>>
>>323356540
They both have the same level of writing.
Terrible.
>>
>>323351165
the leveling system is fucked so you'll have to gain experience through actual play instead of just training endlessly with gold
>>
>>323356648
What's wrong with Oblivion writing?
>>
>>323356748
A lot of the issues in Oblivion could have been solved if Martin had sex while I was hunting for Nirnroots.
>>
>>323356748
It's uninteresting, the world doesn't pay attention to it at all.
It doesn't make any sense either.
Why would they take the septim, fully dressed in septim clothing, through a sewer to escape the imperial city when he could just use magic to teleport literally anywhere else.
Or use magic to hide.
Or have more guards.
Or be dressed up as a peasant and sneak out that way.

Why was Kvatch's attack just ignored afterwards?

Why did the oblivion gates popping up not cause travelling between cities to stop?

Why the fuck did Martin turn into a dragon?

Why couldn't we just fight the daedric prince? It's not like that's impossible.
>>
>>323351165
avoid the main quest line and do guild quests because they are the only fun to be had in that stupid game
>>
>>323354130
Actual story and characters.

(inb4 New Vegas sperging)
>>
hating on oblivion is the latest /v/ meme
>>
Pick the Thief sign for FREE stats out of your ass
Pick Orc or redKINGZ if you want to max stength fast, pick a british cuck if you want to use magic since mer are gay and ugly
Don't level up fast
Don't put all your main skills in your main skills section since they're what determine your level ups
Get at least 10 levels in 2 different attribute groups (3 if you don't care about luck) before levelling because level scaling will fuck you in the ass once you get past steel armor bandits
>>
>>323351165
sneaking and stealing will give you the best experience since straight up combat is terrible, though you know that already if you've played Skyrim.

Do the Thieves and Dark Brotherhood faction quests, they're leagues better than Skyrim's.
>>
>>323356648
At least Fallout 3 has the occasional memorable character and story element even if it's mostly trash. What the hell does Oblivion have?
>>
You know a game's leveling system is broken when it makes more sense to keep your most used skills out of your major skills list
>>
>>323358170
Got it, now i am worried about level scaling, should i use mods before its too late?
>>
>>323358514
quote the wrong person anon?
>>
>>323358961
Well, picture this, the only creature in Skyrim that always levels with the player are the Magic Anomaly's from the Mage Guild questline. Think of how spongy they were and just assume half the creatures in Oblivion are just as bad.
>>
>>323359506
Got it, gonna try vanilla anyway, i want to smell the roses so i can see what i am missing, thanks
>>
>>323351165
Train Armorer every level until you reach Journeyman. (level 50). There's an armor/weapons store in the Imperial City market district with a redguard woman who can train you.
Don't bother with mysticism.
Join Mages Guild and take the alchemy apparatus and sell it back to them for easy money.
Remove all your armor before creating new spells.
Install "Quest Award Leveller". Even if you want to play vanilla, just get it anyways. It only fixes a bullshit feature that was in the game.
If you want to get rid of diseases, go to an alchemy shop and buy Root Pulp or Mandrake Root. They cure disease, so you can sell the cure disease potions for a bit of gold instead. They also weigh less.
>>
>>323351165
Are there any other good vampire mods other than LTD?
>>
>>323355054
I like Fallout much more than TES too but bethesda cannot do fallout well to save their lives. Oblivion's better than fallout 3 imo but New vegas is better than both
>>
>>323361925
>It only fixes a bullshit feature that was in the game.
That leveled loot was a thing in oblivion still fucking baffles me to this day.
Holy shit the worst idea they had.
>>
>>323351165
Good quests
>>
>>323362161
Yeah, it fucking ruined your character just for wanting to do a single quest.
>>
>>323363679
>Cheydinhal shield
>Fucking dank as shit looking
>really cool ability
>if you get it early it's shit
>if you get it late there's nothing left to do
t-thanks bethesda
>>
>>323351165
You play the game right, you get real strong real fast.

>100% Chameleon makes you a ghost.
>Jump everywhere so you train acrobatics.
>Make a 1 sec 100 charm spell.
>Paintbrushes can build a stair to anywhere.
>Skeleton key is awesome, everything else sucks.
>You can quicksave before getting a sigil stone to get the one you want.
>Becoming a vampire gives you some cool powers but makes most people hostile.
>If something seems too good to be true, be alert.
>If you ask about something and the option is still lit, they're lying.
>>
isn't there a mod overhaul that changes the level scaling of your character and all the enemys?
>>
>>323365271
get restoration to 25, then do a 100 charm on touch + 100 fortify mercantile on self for 1 sec.
Also, people only get hostile if you are stage 4 vampire. But you don't advance stage unless you wait or sleep. Even if you do, just break into a house and feed on some poor bastard.
>>
>>323351165
A garbage game that is shit compared to its predecessor and only marginally better than it's sequel.
>>
>>323365980
They are often complete overhauls. And those usually come with bullshit annoying "features".
I made a mod where mixed up the leveled loot on NPCs so they don't have a full set of fucking daedric armor every time. You can still find daedric, but there's about a 1/15 chance compared to vanilla. NPCs will still be leveled, but you won't find the best armor just because you are a higher level. It's a mix of good and bad loot in higher levels, basically.
>>
>>323357606
>Why the fuck did Martin turn into a dragon?
Because he became an avatar of Akatosh, the Time Dragon.

>Why couldn't we just fight the daedric prince? It's not like that's impossible.
Nah it's impossible.

Oblivion is shit though, just answering all that can be answered from the plot.
>>
>>323366709
Not him, but technically we can. The game breaks though.

Enchant a sword with enough damage and you can kill Dagon. He regenerates real fast and has a fuckton of health, but he's not unkillable.
>>
>>323367110
I was talking from a lore standpoint.
You can't kill a Daedra prince, that's why it's such a big deal that he can be with all his body and power in Mundus, all Martin did was banish him again.
>>
>>323351165
you can totally rape the game by getting into the mages guild university early and making the following spells:

-Unlock Very Hard Lock
-Charm 100 pts for 1-3 seconds
-Invisibility for 15, 30 or 120 seconds
-Paralyze for 1 second (cost is low to cast and still buys you some time while the enemy gets up)

beware of bears if you level up a lot
>>
>>323367659
I know, just pointing out that if you really want to you can.
>>
>>323351165
OOO is the must have mod desu
Also Oblivion XP imo, but you might want to "experience" the vanilla leveling yourself first
>>
>>323367110
Shoot him with the wabbajack or skull of corruption and he melts. He doesn't have any loot on him.
>>
>>323352683
are you retarded
>>
>>323368153
I would not recommend OOO. It adds a bunch of annoying features.
>>
Don't do the main quest passed the Siege of Kvatch

You're going to have a bad time doing side quests otherwise.
>>
>>323361291
You can always just turn the difficulty down to compensate if you find the level scaling prohibitively obnoxious. All it affects is damage dealt and/or taken.
>>
>>323365980
OOO severely reduces level scaling, though it doesn't actually eliminate it unfortunately.
>>
>>323353001

Why is being a dickass thief always so overpowered in TES games?
>>
Skip it and play Morrowind or Skyrim.
>>
>>323354008
>thanks, any character builds you would recommend?
Yes, MAX build. as in maximize your stats so that by the time you finish leveling you have enough points to put into everything.

You're going to have to level strength if you want to do a damn bit of damage. The enemies scale pretty hard.

Just don't feel like a pussy if you have to turn the difficulty down, all that that means is that the game is unforgiving in it's scaling, and basically forces you to min-max if you want to not be passed up by enemy power increase.
>>
>>323369069
Lazy stealth that they refuse to design so the AI doesn't go full retard when dealing with someone using it.
>>
>>323351165
Focus on Speed and Acrobatics.

Play the game like a fast pace first person beat em up.
>>
>>323369069
Someone post the stealth archer by races list.
>>
Piece of advice for you OP that, in my opinion, makes the game more fun.

Instead of fast traveling, get a horse, and then plan your trips. If you're making a trip across country, it should be an epic journey, where you stop at inns for the night and shit, explore a dungeon along the way, and take care of local tasks. Becoming too reliant on fast travel cheapens the role playing. That's not to say it doesn't have its uses though, but the most fun I've ever had in TES games was always just walking along the roads at night. Something about it is just nice.
>>
>>323351165
>Any advices for someone who knows jack shit about elder scrolls besides the average skyrim shit?
Yes, uninstall the game and play Morrowind instead.
>>
>>323369506
Seconded

know that some missions are pretty shit in regards to traveling so don't worry too much about finishing every quest on the spot and just go in a part of the map, do things there, then follow your guts until it takes you naturally close to the places where you can turn in the quests.
>>
>>323369506
This

Fast travel often ruins open world games. I avoid using it fairly often, unless the game requires me to travel across large bodies of water like the witcher 3 does if you go through skellige a lot
>>
>>323354627
>You can get a really strong sword early on by finding and killing umbra

Dont do this, you dont want to loot any unique items until you're a higher level. Everything in this game scales with your level so if you get Umbra at a low level it will be shit.
>>
>>323351165
It's fucking great anon. If you're playing it on a console make sure to get the add ons, especially the extra dwellings. People complain about the level scaling, in reality this just makes goblins super tough at a high level but also allows for a wider range of better enemies. Unfortunately its popularity means a lot of very bitter virgins are incredibly angry about it for some reason.

If you're playing it vanilla check to see if the infinite gold glitch still works because when I found it i regretted hauling so much armour to market.

Really wish I could play it agin for the first time, I'd never seen anything like it and it's my most fondly remembered game.
>>
>>323369506
Don't worry, i am not into fast travel either, but the lack of a run button really makes walking tiresome

Also holy shit, this game has some beautiful looking towns, not only big but so nice looking, its like i am playing an MMO, and the dialogue isn't even that bad either
>>
>>323372425
I'm pretty sure umbra isn't scaled, like a lot of the daedric quest loot
>>
>>323352792
I think this gets overstated a bit. Really all you have to worry about is not leveling non-combat skills more than combat skills.
>>
>>323373519
if you want a "run button", get in the university and make a spell called "Stimpak". Make it boost athletics 100 pts for 3 seconds and make another one acrobatics for 2 seconds. You'll be able to jump and run so fucking fast it will make you laugh. You can literally travel faster on foot than with the fastest horse that way
>>
File: 1307750329248.jpg (34 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
1307750329248.jpg
34 KB, 500x332
>reinstall two days ago after loving it back in 2006
>start modding
>everything going smooth
>want to fix potato faces
>blockhead mod supposed to come with two files
>it comes with one
>no fix
>finally get sick of it and ditch all my mods that need blockhead
>realize there's literally dozens of files mixed in
>fuck it, uninstall for a fresh start
>game doesn't launch
>uninstall, wipe everything, reinstall
>game freezes on first loading screen
>one last try
>freezes on first loading screen

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
>>323376537
i know the sentiment
>>
File: WAKE ME UP.png (69 KB, 366x401) Image search: [Google]
WAKE ME UP.png
69 KB, 366x401
>>323376537
I know this feeling, just go vanilla and don't look back
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.