[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone actually like being forced to complete minigames/side
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: Ff10_logo.jpg (781 KB, 1775x1152) Image search: [Google]
Ff10_logo.jpg
781 KB, 1775x1152
Does anyone actually like being forced to complete minigames/side objectives in order to access parts of the core game (In this case super bosses and further character customization)?

I don't understand why anyone would design a game likes this. This has got to be some of the worst post game I've seen in a jrpg
>>
>>323295436
FF7 had mini games as part of the main story
>>
File: 1440806045700.jpg (8 KB, 235x222) Image search: [Google]
1440806045700.jpg
8 KB, 235x222
>>323295436
>optional boss
>core game
There's your problem, son.
>>
>>323295436
If what your really asking is do we like FFX? Then my answer is certainly no. Not at all.
>>
You'd think that the word "post game" would give you a clue that it isn't part of the main content.

That being said, FFX is garbage, so any reason you have for hating this game is good for me.
>>
>>323295436
Post-game super bosses are side objectives. You are a fucking moron, jesus christ.
>>
>>323295708
>>323295605

Sorry, by 'core game' I didn't mean part of the story, I meant more like the core systems and concepts. Like the battles and character customization

As in, people play RPGs for the combat and stat stuff, so why lock a portion of that behind awkwardly implemented side games? Seems silly to me
>>
>>323295436
super bosses and customization are not core to the game
now you want to talk about X-2 and getting 100% to get the REAL ending, I call bs on that
>>
>>323295838
>As in, people play RPGs for the combat and stat stuff
that's pretty presumptions. I don't think anyone plays FF games for their combat.
>>
>>323295838
what part of the combat in FFX is hidden away behind side games?
>>
>>323296183

The post game content, aka the super hard bosses and stuff. A lot of them require breaking the stat caps, which require you to get the celestial weapons, which require you to do a bunch of minigames. I got turned off by it pretty quickly
>>
>>323296567
How is that any different from 7, 8 or 9 though? Pretty much every FF game has you go trough stupid bullshit to beat the super bosses. Why exactly do you single out 10 for this?
>>
>>323295436
>does anyone else hate being forced to play the game to access content?

Try telltale "games". Youll enjoy them more.
>>
>>323297131

>I enjoy standing in one spot and dodging 200 lightning bolts
>>
>>323296902
Not him, but X end game is retardedly bad compared to other FF. Try maxing out a grid and not using zanmoto to beat the dark aeons. Or that stupid fucking chocobo race. Or the hours of shitzball.
>>
>>323296567
I see what you're getting at, and I kind of agree (in that many of these sidequests are not really obvious in FF games) but I don't see why you shouldn't have to do some sidequesting for OP weapons that are only useful post-game.

Also, if you think FFX is bad at this you wouldn't believe the grinding you have to do in FFXIII to get the highest level weaponry
>>
>>323295436
Ff8 with taking tests is probably worse
>>
>>323297294
>Or that stupid fucking chocobo race.
I got it after a few tries

>hours of shitzball
really don't have to play for hours

The only thing that really annoyed me was the 200 lightning strike dodges
>>
>>323297294
X sucks in general compared to previous entries in the franchise. I don't really want to defend it, but it's just baffling to me that you can complain about dodging 200 lighting strikes to get a weapon, but apparently you're OK with doing the hours long chocobo minigame/sidequest to get the ultimate weapon for zidane.
>>323297426
The tests don't matter dick in FF8.
>>
>>323297308
>but I don't see why you shouldn't have to do some sidequesting for OP weapons that are only useful post-game

Oh, I'm not saying you shouldn't do sidequests for stuff. I just think those side quests should be more conducive to the genre/core concepts. I don't play rpgs for the awkward minigames. Chocobo racing, lighting bolts, and the butterfly stuff wasn't fun.

I dunno. For example, things like the monster capturing are slightly more in line with what I'd like to do, and feel more natural within the game's environment
>>
I don't think any videogame should force you to do mini-games to unlock things for the core game unless they are really short and simple.
Breath of fire 3 nailed this with the fishing game. The only items you could get from the mini-game exclusively were more fishing equipment.
>>
Is it true that seppos didn't get the proper sphere grid originally?
>>
>>323297618
That's not true, you get some pretty good equipment by fishing for the Manillo shopskeeper. And because he doesn't accept money, you need to catch a lot of fish for trading shit.
>>
>>323297782
but all of those other items can be bought later from normal shops.
>>
>>323297581
>I don't play rpgs for the awkward minigames. Chocobo racing, lighting bolts, and the butterfly stuff wasn't fun.

most of the 3d final fantasies have these, and FFX had some of the most awkward of the series, but the chocobo racing in VII I think takes the cake as the worst

>monster capturing
literally my favorite part of the game and one of the reasons I really liked the monster hunts in XII
>>
>>323297782
I mean, just look at the list for the last fishing spot in the game

Lost Shore:
royal sword
life armor
cupids lyre
shamans ring
ivory dice
skill ink

Does royal sword or life armor sound like fishing equipment to you?
>>
>>323297750
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
>>323297880
Nope. The royal sword for example can only be found in the Desert (another minigame of sorts, and probably the worst of its kind) or by trading for it at Manillo.
>>
>>323298080
That's true actually, but that still means it's not exclusive to a minigame
>>
>>323297994
Stop posting cuck shit.
>>
>>323296567

Why? The idea is that post game makes you think a little bit more about what you do outside of the default. Those core concepts are just advanced concepts designed for endgame purposes only.
>>
>>323298170
Instead it's exclusive to two minigames, and one being the most boring and shitty experience you can have. I don't exactly see that as being better, and I'm saying that as someone who regards BoF3 as one of my personal games of all time.

The desert is especially aggravating, because you don't get any clues for it, other than "there's a sword and armor somewhere in the desert, good luck lol", so you either find it through pure luck, or you use a guide.
>>
>>323298595
>Direction for getting through the desert were badly translated in my country
I'm still mad as fuck
>>
>>323298758
yeah, the PAL translations were fucked. They also have other baffling errors. I remember in the german version PecoPeco started talking (what the fuck) in english (why) suddenly at some point, and then went back to his normal onion shit.
>>
>>323298595
>The desert is especially aggravating, because you don't get any clues for it, other than "there's a sword and armor somewhere in the desert, good luck lol", so you either find it through pure luck, or you use a guide.

There's an npc in the oasis who gives you the exact directions for the sword and armor.
I don't even consider the desert a minigame, it's just a little calm segment before the final dungeon. I think you may just be a whiny cunt.
>>
>Does anyone actually like playing videogames
>>
>>323299141
Did I hurt your feeling or something? Why so aggressive?
>>
>>323299757
I'm just tired. Sorry, I just think the desert of death gets more shit than it deserves. It's not that bad in the long run except for the mistranslation in the ps1 version.
>>
>>323300485
Maybe, I guess having played the PAL version originally tainted my perception of the desert.
>>
>>323296567
Would you prefer FF9's method of having endless mini-games providing mostly insignificant rewards?
>>
>>323297294
>shitzball
You mean the part where you Jecht Shot people in the face until you're the world champion?
>>
Y'all niggas complaining how bullshit FFX's end game content when motherfucking FF13 and 13-2's end game content are fucking DLCs.
>>
>>323295436
>post game
There's the problem. It's post game, they can do whatever the hell they want with it at that point.
>>
I skip side shit and collectables in every game I play. I just recently played through tomb raider (the 2013 version) and I don't think I picked up a single relic or document after the first area. yeah great, like I give a fuck that this is a japanese blade from some forgotten era.

pick up item; "art unlocked" = literally go kill yourself as a game dev.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.