[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Darkest Dungeon made me love RNG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 1452158836691.webm (982 KB, 711x400) Image search: [Google]
1452158836691.webm
982 KB, 711x400
I'm not trolling, I've realized that RNG is the neccessary flavor for the game to have good atmosphere. It's an unseen hand influencing decisions you make and the thing that makes you revisit those experiences in your mind afterwards, creating a bond of imagination with the game world.
>>
that's called Stockholm syndrome, OP
>>
>>323179492
Can somebody explain what the fuck happened?
>>
>>323180140
Stress induced heart attack
>>
>>323180140
his bounty hunter was suffering from Paranoia. it gives a chance that the character will gain stress and refuse to eat food when you camp. gaining stress caused him to reach 200, which caused a heart attack, which killed him, which caused more stress to the rest of the party.
>>
File: hnnnnng.jpg (12 KB, 378x301) Image search: [Google]
hnnnnng.jpg
12 KB, 378x301
So what practical gameplay purpose do heart attacks serve? Why were they implemented? Was it to prevent some kind of scum tactic or something?
>>
>>323182263
rng

crit chance

putting accent on characters's psyche
>>
>>323182263
Artificial difficulty.
>>
I want to like the game. I really do.
>>
I see people complain RNG so much when it comes to this game when its rarely been a problem to me. I feel like the game gives you enough options to "manage" RNG and a good sense of caution can be all you need.
The only time RNG has really fucked me over in this game was a 1 fight out of 1 run where I got crit 4 times in a row on a single hero.
>>
Anon, you've been abused to the point of having a mental breakdown.

Don't let the game hurt you anymore.
>>
>>323179492
i just noticed that's from the very first Boss-dungeon

no one can be that bad
>>
File: 1452172264392.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1452172264392.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>323184409
most people don't get past first boss
>>
>>323184543
That has to be the ugliest person i've ever seen
>>
>>323182263
They were implemented because people found out a way to game the system and keep people alive forever despite being completely stressed.

You can turn heart attacks off anyway.
>>
>>323180014

literally this. you spent money on this game and need to justify your purchase, nothing more than that.

rng like that, 90% of the times is lazy/bad design
>>
>>323184543
That is the face of a broken man.
>>
>>323179492
Never gets old

>i know you're all out to get me!
>FUCK OFF WITH YOUR POISONED FOOD
>>
>>323182263
So gaining stress is still a problem once you're already affliced
>>
>>323184680
Not saying that guy's good looking, but how in the hell does he even come close to "ugliest person you've ever seen"?
>>
Another anon compared it to the chaos that surrounds the dungeon, which I thought was pretty accurate. It does seem a bit much at times, I've had hunger twice times backtracking four rooms, then not get it at all over a longer distance.

>>323184543
>>323184409
Necromancer is pretty easy with the right team, you just need someone to pull him forward, and a good dps like a bounty hunter or abomination.
>>
>>323185326
I dont go out much
>>
>>323184730
>I don't play Pen and Paper/Tabletop Games
Some people just like dice-based mechanics anon.
>>
>>323185546
I just killed him with shit tier Plague Doctor, Man at Arms with torn rotator, based Houndmaster and Dismas the Highwayman. Was very easy, Plague was lvl1, rest were lvl2 with upgraded weapons to lvl2. If I kill a boss without a healer I consider him easy.
>>
>>323185546
you don't even need to pull him forward, just get good backline hitters like the PD or GR, and maybe a Crusader to kill skeletons
>>
>>323179492
RNG can have a place in singleplayer games, but in competitive multiplayer it has no place, as any element of chance means that the match is no longer a pure test of skill between two players. That being said, in non-competitive multiplayer, like Mario Party or something, it can be fine.

The real reason people don't like RNG in a lot of situations though is that, when implemented poorly, it's something that can completely screw you and you have no influence over. Alternatively, it just makes the game boring. Look at the card game War, or Candyland. Those games are literally entirely RNG, and you can do nothing to influence them. As such, they're utterly boring.
>>
>>323185832
>RNG can have a place in singleplayer games, but in competitive multiplayer it has no place, as any element of chance means that the match is no longer a pure test of skill between two players.
I disagree. RNG can test the player's ability to adapt to unexpected circumstances. There's a certain level of bullshit, such as "give one player a rocket launcher to start and another player the nerf bat" that's unacceptable, but as a concept, I don't write it out.
>>
>>323185570
So you basically only see mirror?
>>
>>323184226
Because it's a tactics game without tactics due to it?

Literally all you need to do is get two frontliners with a forward charge and bash your head against the wall while playing a pussy, and you've beat the game. Great, deep, genius, fun.
>>
>>323185546
>almost at boss
>only occultist healer
>top myself off with my last food, everyone gets one
>open a door
>hunger
It's fucking bullshit.
>>
>>323186043
>RNG can test the player's ability to adapt to unexpected circumstances
Don't type shit like that in a DD thread.
>>
>>323184543
>Struggling with the Necromancer
Christ the only answer is git gud here.
>>
REMIND YOURSELF
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.