[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rise of the AA auteurs/devs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 32
File: auteur devs.jpg (127 KB, 798x417) Image search: [Google]
auteur devs.jpg
127 KB, 798x417
There's an obvious trend in vidya right now, of big names of the AAA industry making small companies and making their own games without big publishers meddling with their vision. I'll Give examples:

>Patrice Desilets, lead on PoP: Sands of Time and creator of the Assassin's Creed IP, founded Panache Digital Games, and is working on an evolution-based prehistoric game that is supposed to be in line with the AC series, as the next step
>Daniel Vavra, of Mafia and Mafia II fame, created his company along with other industry veterans and they're making a medieval game called Kingdom Come: Deliverance
>Michel Ancel, most notorious for creating Rayman and Beyond Good & Evil, is working on a game called WiLD in his new indie studio Wild Sheep Studios, the game has supposedly no affiliation with Ubisoft, and Ancel is still with Ubi
>Craig Hubbard, formerly a big figure in Monolith Productions who was the lead on F.E.A.R., Shogo and No One Lives Forever 1/2, created a company called Blackpowder Studios, and they already made a game called Betrayer
>West & Zampella, former creators of Infinity Ward who are known for creating Call of Duty, left/were fired from IF, and they created Respawn Entertainment, which already made the game Titanfall, Respawn is still an independent company

The trends just show an evasion of those talented lead developers and they're making small teams which aren't exactly indie nor AAA, but middle games with good production values made by knowledgeable veterans. Do you think this will become an even more popular trend?
>>
>AA
Paradox Interactive has been doing it for a while.
>>
File: 1449193387697.png (89 KB, 399x382) Image search: [Google]
1449193387697.png
89 KB, 399x382
>>322885492
>Daniel Vavra
He's even worse than Randy Pitchford.
>>
>>322885623
But this is different, those guys come from big budget companies, and are trying to start over with a new company and a game that could be considered AA.
>>
I've been saying for years that it was bound to happen. If my dumb ass could see it, smarter people have been planning for it or taking advantage.

Thanks to pc gaming and steam, devs don't need publishers any more. With the industry becoming as stifling and self destructive as it is, more people will start leaving to just be independent. It's getting to the point where there's no benefit to stay in the corporate world. It's infested with AIDS and non games these days.
>>
>>322885764
That happens all the time. Those big companies have been bleeding employees since forever. Bioware, Blizzard, Maxis (R.I.P). Obsidian is made from ex Troika employees for example.
It's just that most of them leave the videogame industry all together since there's more stability in other areas of IT.
>>
>>322886275
But now the industry is in a better state for independent development as >>322886040
said. Not only Steam and digital distribution helps, but today you can use some very good engines for cheap as fuck. That whole thing about Unreal Engine being free of monthly fees, and only charging you after your game sells a certain number of copies, the environment is just way friendlier towards people with know how to start a small/medium company.
>>
>>322885492
>/v/ learns that studios come and go just like guilds
>>
File: the silly frank.jpg (73 KB, 1202x828) Image search: [Google]
the silly frank.jpg
73 KB, 1202x828
>>322886434
refer to >>322886409
>>
>>322886409
Sure, it's easier nowadays, but also more competitive. Look at cellphone games, you can it's easier but you also have to swim above the sea of shit that flood that enviroment.
Name alone isn't enough. In the end, it's all about if they can deliver. Having a publisher on your back means making compromises, but it also brings more security. See Schafner, always throwing a fit about Activision but when he had to actually take care of the finances of a small studio, he made the same "evil" decisions. So there's pros and cons.
>>
File: kojimer.jpg (17 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
kojimer.jpg
17 KB, 480x270
>>322887134
They still have a reputation that comes with their names. Thos aren't some garage neckbeards trying to make a game, those are established names who can leverage their legacy for small publisher deals, and for marketing.

if Kojima made an indie studio tomorrow, you don't think his independent new game would be hyped as fuck? Even more so because it supposedly wouldn't be tied to Konami's bullshit.
>>
File: dev.jpg (256 KB, 1634x530) Image search: [Google]
dev.jpg
256 KB, 1634x530
No. Now is the worst time possible to be an auteur. Those names you mentioned are where they are because they came to fame during the 90's where publishers had less control of game development. Nowadays, the creation of a game doesn't really encourage individual devs to come forth and take bold steps. When was the last time you heard of a director helming a AAA game and him getting praise for it? It mostly only happens in Japan where the attitude towards game creation is more conservative and less design by committee.

Those annual series like CoD, Ass Creed and so forth have created an assembly-line method of gamemaking that requires no artistic input. Only statistics.
>>
>>322887416
Some companies are still rising, and despite the lack of auteurs buzz, their rise to a certain degree of reputation and relevance can't be denied.

Companies like: MachineGames, Frictional Games, Klei Entertainment .

Not really a recent thing but Rocksteady came to relevance recently
>>
>>322887373
Sure but listen to this man >>322887416
The names you listed in OP are barely recognizeable.
Will Wright
Kojima
Chris Avellone
John Carmack
Romero
Miyazaki
Todd Howard
Those are/were big names that can/could actually swing masses over. Because they put themselves besides their games, taking responsability over that product and also the heat that comes with it. You barely see that nowadays. Games don't come with a personality attached to it, this is a relic from the 90's.
>>
File: Nier_Automata_4.jpg (56 KB, 515x579) Image search: [Google]
Nier_Automata_4.jpg
56 KB, 515x579
>>322887768
Yes, but they really aren't that common compared to the 90's which was a mayhem of small studios rising to fame. It was wild, unpredictable and encouraged devs to step into the spotlight. Few studios rise to fame today and maintain their integrity. Most get bought out by AAA publishers or they become AAA big shots themselves.

Japan is an exception where AA games are the norm and directors and designers are considered to be a big deal. Someone like Yoko Taro wouldn't have lasted a day under a western publisher.
>>
File: lucas_web_2010_a_l.jpg (61 KB, 675x380) Image search: [Google]
lucas_web_2010_a_l.jpg
61 KB, 675x380
>>322887874
The names listed in the OP like Ancel and Desilets are also only being picked up by big studios because they made a name for themselves in the 90's with games like Rayman and the like.

In many ways, it's actually worrisome that we don't have a similar influx of new talent. Most of our "auteurs" are old and came to fame during a different time where publishers weren't actively fucking devs in the ass and reducing them to mere grunt workers.

There is similar shit happening in movies. The AAA/indie divide is getting more and more noticeable in movies aswell. And the ones that direct bold movies with decent budget are often very old or came to fame outside of Hollywood.
>>
>>322887416
>left side
no awards hasbeens
>right side
awarded devs
>>
>>322887874
>Will Wright
His last good game was before my pubes had hair.
>Kojima
Japanese Tarantino, but his mom wont let him make movies.
>Chris Avellone
B tier fiction writer playing gamedev.
>John Carmack
Autist who works for facebook.
>Romero
Manchild whos biggest accomplishment is knowing Carmack.
>Miyazaki
Made the same thing for 20 years, and people randomly decided its good at one point.
>Todd Howard
The least important person at a studio which hasnt made a good game in 15 years.
>>
>>322887941
That's because video games was a very new kind of business. These days there's way more stuff to see, like one anon pointed out, but I believe anyone can still rise above the mediocrity even with an indie game.

I mean Notch isn't in the same realm as the devs cited on this thread, yet he still gained notoriety and of course shitzillions of money. If an autistic neckbeard like him can do it, why can't anyone else?

Look at the Terraria developer Redigit, while he's no Notch in the money department, I think that guy made a shitload of money with Terraria, and then he's going for Terraria 2. Who kniows what lies in his future.
>>
File: sakaguchi.jpg (376 KB, 940x565) Image search: [Google]
sakaguchi.jpg
376 KB, 940x565
>>322888704
Those are garage-budget indie devs that got immensely lucky and released the right game at the right time. They are so few and far between though. Notch more or less won the lottery with Minecraft.

I think the biggest issue today is that western publishers simply refuse to fund AA games and let some bold ballsy motherfucker make the game as he wants it to be. The model is either AAA, which is heavily controlled by publishers and the devs are barely allowed any freedom or indie where the devs have complete freedom but they lack the budget to make something out of it.

I think it happened when games went mainstream and the big games lost their character. It became a simple passive hobby that was more about maximum market penetration among the lowest common denominator rather than something bold that would excel itself from the rest.

On the other hand, you still have Japanese publishers being more conservative and more willing to fund AA games and let some big shot direct their games.
>>
>>322888274
How do you know that there isn't an influx of talent today? They could be either be trying to make a game with a very small indie studio, on a game that doesn't look like a world beater, or they're working for AAA companies, yet they keep a low profile, as big companies don't like an employee becoming bigger than the company itself.

You have to put in mind that to get a Michel Ancel, the guy was involved in making multiple classics in a time span of decades. We won't know the next big talented guys once until they pump some major hits, and maybe multiple of them to prove that it wasn't a fluke.
I think Flying Wild Hog (Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior 2013) is also a promising new company. Who knows how they'll turn out.
>>
>>322885492
I can only hope so, AA games really are the best games. Big enough to make fully fledged games with high production values, but not big/expensive enough to require excessive funding and in turn excessive sales
>>
>>322889103
>I think the biggest issue today is that western publishers simply refuse to fund AA games and let some bold ballsy motherfucker make the game as he wants it to be. The model is either AAA, which is heavily controlled by publishers and the devs are barely allowed any freedom or indie where the devs have complete freedom but they lack the budget to make something out of it.

It's actually not really that as much as publishers wanting full ownership over the property. You could hear Obsidian talking about this while PoE kickstarter was doing well and they suddenly got offers from various publishers who wanted to give them money as long as Obsidian handed the new IP. Problem is that publishers still want absolute, iron-fist control over everything, even when they have so called "indie divisions".
>>
Does Ori and the Blind Forest count as a 'AA' game?
>>
>>322889112
>yet they keep a low profile, as big companies don't like an employee becoming bigger than the company itself.
But that's the problem isn't it? There is a power struggle between publishers and devs and publishers completely destroyed devs in that power struggle. You won't hear about the devs making AAA games. Because the publisher don't want them going famous. They don't want them suddenly dictating THEIR games and have an online following. Can you name the director of Battlefront, latest CoD, latest Ass Creed, Destiny and so on? I can't. And that's because publishers are willingly making sure that you won't do that. At best you might see some producer (corporate puppet) during interviews but you don't get much more than that.

And that shit is cancerous to everything that auteur theory means. Again, Jap publishers are the only ones actually ADVERTISING individual talent as something worth bragging about. They are considered a big deal, even if they're treated way worse than they were in the 90's when they were completely running the show themselves.
>>
File: those things, they take time.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
those things, they take time.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>322889103
I'm not sure on publishers not funding those middle tier guys.

Respawn managed to get their game published by EA.

Patrice Desilets has investors helping him out with Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

I think Vavra also got investors, along with the crowdfunding thing he had going.

There are also smaller publishers like Devolver Digital, that publishes Serious Sam,Hotline Miami and Shadow Warrior.

Even Tim "Joker gasoline scene" Schafer got investors for Psychonauts 2
>>
File: crimsonsh-logo1.jpg (580 KB, 1020x864) Image search: [Google]
crimsonsh-logo1.jpg
580 KB, 1020x864
>>322889103
>all these shitty copy pasted JRPGs left and right
>meanwhile, Matsuno is probably in a basement working on some mobile garbage

Crimson Shroud wasn't even treated as a proper game and most likely didn't sell well enough to get him on-board again.
>>
>>322885492
you mean like how it once was?
>>
>>322889767
different situations tho, now it is way cheaper to distribute games with DD, and high end game engines such as Unreal Engine are extremely cheap to use, from a creative and financial sense, developers have it waaay easier than those nerds in a garage had
>>
>>322889685
Well, we'll see how those investments are going. EA is going to keep close watch on Respawn. Don't expect much good there. Though Ancel's new studio seems exciting.

>>322889708
I thought Matsuno quit altogether? There is probably work for him if he wants it but making FF12 burned him out.
>>
>>322885492
The industry has a problem with overinflated budget for no real benefit, it's about fucking time everyone started doing this.

On the contrary, I don't get how companies can keep complaining that games cost too much to make, and then they proceed to make the next 400 million dollar budget piece of shit with zero value/content. This shit has been going on for years.
>>
>>322889912
Those big publishers know exactly what they're doing. Spend 200 million dollars advertise your game and suddenly all those mid-tier games made by poorer publishers suddenly don't have any buyers left. It's classic corporate fighting. The desire to establish a monopoly. Right now we're in an oligopoly.
>>
>>322888554
>>Kojima
>Japanese Tarantino, but his mom wont let him make movies.

So he hates white men, was raised by a single mom who fucked niggers for heroin and found escapism in blacksploitation movies and foot fetishism ?
>>
>>322889708
CS is a mediocre game, it has low production values (which is not the issue), but also low depth and meat to it. It was simply badly designed.

Matsuno embraced mobile shit and shitting out mediocre games, he's irrelevant
>>
>>322889554
It's good for experience at least, those talented devs get know how from working with big publishers, and once they had enough they branch out and create a start up.

In a way I doubt Desilets, Ancel and many others would know how to do a lot of shit, if it wasn't for the experience they got from big environments.
>>
>>322890086
He hates japanese men, he was raised by a single mom who fucked americans for heroin and found escapism in hamburger culture and USA fetishism.
>>
File: Vavra.png (256 KB, 500x466) Image search: [Google]
Vavra.png
256 KB, 500x466
>>322885492
>Vavra
>>
>>322887373
Kojima did make an indie studio stupid.

The new Kojima Productions is completely independent and its first game is PS4 exclusive because Sony offered to fund it or something.
>>
>>322890184
Sure I agree but back then Ubisoft wasn't actively trying to shit on Desilets and Ancel and making sure they remained irrelevant. Hell, Desilets and Ancel ditching Ubisoft is telling just how much shit changed from the 90's to now.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/245618/Patrice_Desilets_tells_his_side_of_the_Ubisoft_firing_story.php

>Desilets recounts the tale of the moment he decided to fight his legal battle against his former employer: "How do I want to move forward in my life? Let's forget the career part of things. Do I want to be the guy who bent over or not?" he asked his girlfriend.

These big shot devs basically got systematically ass fucked by the publishers when they realized they could make more money making games for retards.
>>
>>322890364
I cant tell if he is drinking the counter culture koolaid or if he is riding that horse to promote his game.
>>
>>322890364
based as fuck, speaking from experience
>>
>>322890501
Many slavic countries are deeply anti-communist, Poland and recently Ukraine have straight banned communism and depictions of the hammer and sickle. His anti-SJW stance is real as fuck from his experience as a czech, I'm sure.
>>
File: 1438964331228.jpg (38 KB, 788x788) Image search: [Google]
1438964331228.jpg
38 KB, 788x788
>>322887874
Most of those creators are complete shit and have done fuck all in recent years apart from Miyazaki and Kojima.

The only reason Todd Howard is big is because his development team is relatively efficient, Todd's games are devoid of any distinct personality or soul.
>>
>>322890501
He's just anti-SJW, he always blows them the fuck out.
>>
>>322890621
This isnt about communism though, the context here is him standing against the gender/race equality trend. I cant tell if he really wants to fight it, or if he is pretending to do so to promote his upcoming game.
>>
>>322890621
Eastern Europeans are the only Europeans not brainwashed by the SJWs into bending over and taking mudslime cock.
>>
>>322890751
His game got attacked because it didn't include black knights (kek). And he's anti-SJW as it is.
>>
>>322890457
relax nigger, I haven't followed kojima's news at all
>>
>>322890850
I think this attack came as a response to him making anti-SJW movement comments on twitter or in interviews.
>>
File: Meet_14180d_5302332.png (730 KB, 1024x1181) Image search: [Google]
Meet_14180d_5302332.png
730 KB, 1024x1181
>>322890850
Among other things, which irritated special snowflakes.
>>
>>322890939
Chicken or the egg. Either way, he isn't doing it because he wants to promote his game. If anything, it hurts his game. He does it because Eastern Europeans hate communists.
>>
>>322890751
It is, he explicitly said in one interview that the SJW censorship is exactly what slavic countries already experienced once. I wanna stop this to avoid derailing the thread, but search around.
>>
>>322890686
That's because they left the industry. And why they were mentioned in past form. Which is the point, it was something from the past, all of them were already making a name for themselves in the 90's. You can add other japs for the list, like Ono.
>>
>>322890470
It sucks but I'm sure this happens in many industries, not only vidya.

Can't let talented guys grow bigger than the company itself. This already happens in vidya today, with "A team", "B team" discussions especially when talking Dark Souls. The old Infinity Ward vs Treyarch CoDs, which is now dead because IF got butchered anyway
>>
>>322891110
Well he is clearly wrong. The "equality" during communism wasnt about gender or diversity quotas, it was about equal mostly low opportunity for everyone, and it really was equal.

t. lived under communism for 6 years, so my opinion is legit
>>
>>322887874
>Will Wright
Is that Miyamoto's gaijin translator?
>Kojima
I'm ok
>Chris Avellone
Literally who?
>John Carmack
Autist who couldn't craft a good game outside of his FPS comfort zone if his life depended on it. Hell, after Rage, he can't even craft a good FPS.
>Romero
Daikatana turned gas station attendant. Atleast he digs Chrono Trigger.
>Miyazaki
Cool guy, but chill on the Souls games and make a new AC.
>Todd Howard
That faggot meme character cum pathological liar that yells at people to buy FO4?
>>
File: my soggy knee.jpg (8 KB, 203x300) Image search: [Google]
my soggy knee.jpg
8 KB, 203x300
>>322891305
But it is. The symbol of feminism, the clenched fist is a revolutionary symbol. It isn't a coincidence. Feminism has always been linked with communism, and famous writers of feminism always, always leaned left.
>>
>>322891241
Oh please, there's still plenty of big names mentioned today.
>Kojima
>Miyazaki
>Tim Schafer
>Cliff Bleszinski
>Hideki Kamiya
>Tetsuya Nomura
>Neil Druckmann
>Ken Levine
>Gabe Newell
>Katsura Harada
>Masahiro Sakurai
>Yoko Taro
>David Jaffe
Just because big name creators have broken away from publishers doesn't mean they've become irrelevent.
>>
>>322891504
Communism does promote equality for women. Modern feminist movements dont. They promote superiority of women.
The fact that modern feminists are looking to link themselves with communism doesnt mean such a link is real.
>>
>>322890686
This. This all day. This nigga gets it.
>>
>>322891562
>Cliff Bleszinski
this guy is the worst of all, most overhyped developer ever

All he did was make maps for Unreal, and then Gears of War, which was casualized garbage. Such an overhyped retard that all he does nowadays is to try hard to make polemic comments with everything to get hits.
>>
>>322890501
>We're so deep into social justice now, that calling a non-white person unqualified is considered counter-culture

What's next? Meritocracy is bad because your social background and world-view isn't taken into account?
>>
>>322889894
but they were never in a garage.
they were 3rd party studios.
that youre thinking of are indies.
>>
>>322891562
I'd throw Iga in there as well. Bloodstained recieved the most donations of any kickstarter for vidya.
>>
File: china-04.jpg (14 KB, 341x334) Image search: [Google]
china-04.jpg
14 KB, 341x334
>>322891826
>Meritocracy is bad because your social background and world-view isn't taken into account?

lah lah
>>
File: feminism socialism.jpg (34 KB, 300x339) Image search: [Google]
feminism socialism.jpg
34 KB, 300x339
>>322891582
Communism preaches equality for everyone, while Feminism is a branch that specializes in my soggy knee. LGBT activism specializes in gay shit. Afro-communism groups focus on black special treatment like affirmative action. It's always the same old narrative.
>>
>>322891830
I was specifically referring to the Doom team myself. They had it way harder back then, having to design an engine from scratch and all that. They also didn't have the easy convenience of Steam and other digital distribution services.
>>
File: neofag3.png (325 KB, 1822x1541) Image search: [Google]
neofag3.png
325 KB, 1822x1541
>>322891826
Next is removing the Internet of opinions that disagree with them. Free Speech is only acceptable when it doesn't disagree with the far leftists.

This is why Vavra is fighting against this shit. It's his worst nightmare.
>>
>>322890751
>This isnt about communism though, the context here is him standing against the gender/race equality trend.
Huh? The gender/equality trend IS communism.
>>
>>322891826
Political correctness is the establishment right now, and anti-PC is counter culture. I dont see why you are upset, those are facts.
>>
>>322885492
>Ancel
>Wild
That's actually looks like the only open-world game that try to do the right thing.
I'm with you Michel.
>>
>>322891562
Anon, i was not actively trying to exclude names, it was just a quick example. They are also good examples of extensions of the 90's. The point was just to portrait how big publishers are actively trying to kill that cult of personality under the flagship of their big IP's. Japan, for the most part, still let it like others point out.
>>
>>322892052
building an engine from scratch was de rigur back then. thats why gameplay was much tighter. now its just the same engine with new assets.
>>
>>322892143
>diversity quotas are communism
No, they arent. They arent theoretically communist, nor practically communist.
The communist idea is that everyone gets access, the communist reality is that people with connections get access first, and the rest potentially later.
At no point did communism preach or practice female or race superiority. I think you are just bundling all the things you dont like in the same bucket for convenience.
>>
File: Ancel.jpg (47 KB, 643x361) Image search: [Google]
Ancel.jpg
47 KB, 643x361
>>322892237
I love Ancel, I hope he makes a spiritual sequel to BG&E with his new studio, and and manlet CEO of Ubisoft gets brutally raped by that black giantess
>>
>>322888371

i'm pretty sure they won countless awards for doom tho
>>
>>322890364
win
>>
>>322892332
*de rigueur
>>
>>322892348
>No, they arent.
Yes, they are. Equal opportunity is liberalism. Equal outcome is communism.
>>
>>322891924
There is no social determinism in China, it's very easy to rise up from the bottom, especially through the army.
>>
>>322892395
I respect the guy too. Rayman 1 from '95 is a fucking masterpiece in every way possible. It's very encouraging to see him have his own studio and do his own shit. WiLD looks neat.
>>
>>322892529
I like how you responded to my comment and didnt just say LOL NO U.
>>
>>322892332
What do you mean? Engines aren't at fault for people being lazy with them, anon, even though I hate Unreal's texture streaming problems, that triggered me like nothing else.

Mirror's Edge was made with a slightly modified Unreal Engine. So was Singularity, The Last Remnant, Viscera Cleanup Detail, XCOM: Enemy Unknown and fucking Zumba Fitness.
>>
>>322892087
Jesus fucking Christ. Do these people not realize they're talking just like hardcore Republicans?

I hate that being left-leaning means people might group me in with people like this.
>>
>>322892627
Is this sarcasm? Because my comment still holds true.

Equal opportunity is liberalism. Equal outcome is communism.
>>
>>322892726
You are posting unrelated shit.
You made a claim that communism and feminism are the same thing.
You didnt prove it. I told you how its not true. Now you pose some 2deep4u forum signature tier shit.
>>
>>322892862
Feminism is the belief that women should be given positions and power based on their gender. That is a communist ideal.
>>
>>322892862
you're discussing with many people by the way, I'm not that anon but I was the one who made this post >>322891937 that went unnoticed for some reason
>>
>>322885492

Platinum ganes is the best example you could use of this as it's probably the most established / successful example.

A decade later and a bunch of posses, ex-Capcom / Clover employees are making the games they want which, although they don't make mega money, earn enough for them to carry on.
>>
File: romeros gotta pay for his wife.png (411 KB, 504x676) Image search: [Google]
romeros gotta pay for his wife.png
411 KB, 504x676
>>322885492
>>Craig Hubbard, formerly a big figure in Monolith Productions who was the lead on F.E.A.R., Shogo and No One Lives Forever 1/2, created a company called Blackpowder Studios, and they already made a game called Betrayer
This is the ONLY thing I'm excited about.
Betrayer was decent, but still lacks the magic of their former games. I hope with the profits they made from it they can return to their former glory.
With AA games I don't give a single fuck about amazing NEXXXT GEN graphics. Just fully concentrate on great gameplay and level design. Fuck story too, keep it to a minimum. If I want great stories I will read a book.
Thus said, does anyone know what Blackpowder is going to work on next?
Pic related, I wish that glorious bastard would make a traditional fps again.
>>
>>322892725
Not sure on republicans senpai, but right wing doesn't mean authoritarian, much the opposite. Right wing = either minimal government or no government at all as the most hardcore anarchic capitalists would want. I don't want to expand this offtopic shit but yes, even Nazism was left wing, despite of what you have been told. Hitler was an open admirer of Marx, and he promised to do socialism right, without being corrupted by that bum-looking jew.
>>
>>322892974
>inequality is a communist ideal
No, its not. You are by definition wrong.

>>322892993
I didnt reply, because it doesnt argue with my post, and I dont disagree with it.
You simply quoted me and made a side statement that I am okay with, even if its poorly expressed.
The muh soggy knee was a nice joke, but it turned into a terrible meme. There is actual legit misogyny, its just a cultural thing, not an institutionalized one. Thus you should fight it the way the progressive activists are attempting.

Also, on second reading, you might be implying that "equality for everyone" is the same as "female superiority", in which case youa re wrong by definition as the other person. How exactly can you equate "everyone is the same" with "these guys are better" is beyond me.
>>
>>322892660
and they all feel like it. engine limitations causes games to be contained in that box. all unreal games feel like unreal games. all gamebyro games feel like gamebyro games. all lithtech games feel like lithtech games. then we have things like minecraft, stalker, fox engine. new engines give fresher gameplay.
>>
>>322893195
Wasn't John Romero just a fluke? I mean he worked on Doom but he never ever managed to make something as good as it.

J Carmack was not a game designer, but he made other engines, like the Quake 3 engine that was great, the engine behind Doom 3 was quite good, shame he took a major shit with MEGATEXTURES
>>
>>322885492
Hope so. AA is the best thing in gaming, most games that are now big franchises or did something innovative were middle market AA games made with a smaller budget. Even Call of Duty was that.

So this year alone we're getting stuff like Alekhines Gun, Styx sequel, Divinity Original Sin 2, Kingdom Come and many more. Hopefully a new golden age is upon us, like from 2000 - 2007 with all the weird PC and PS2 games.
>>
>>322893368
They definitely feel similar aesthetically, Unreal Engine 3 not only had those texture pop up problems, but the way the engine rendered the textures, I don't know it always looked off to me, a bit blurry and just fucking shit really.

However, even with its limitations some games that play differently were done. I mean seriously, Mirror's Edge and Gears of War were nothing alike.

You have a point that new engines can cover areas where UE, Cryengine and others have problems, however that also takes time and money. If you just wanna create a 3D platformer today, or something that is not overly ambitious, you might just do fine with those known engines, and it cuts time and money. It's great for developers to have more options than they had back then.
>>
>>322893368
Problem is that making one engine per game isn't viable anymore. It worked when games were less complex but today just making an engine can take years.
>>
File: WH_cliff_1.jpg (193 KB, 622x491) Image search: [Google]
WH_cliff_1.jpg
193 KB, 622x491
I can offer some perspective on Vavra and his company at least.
I was applying for 3d art jobs in Prague, and was talking to a couple of companies there, including Warhorse. Did a test for them, passed, was scheduled for an interview when the art lead contacts me with news that they decided that they don't want another person for a position I was applying for. Okay, not nice of them, but can happen.

Luckily, another company picked me up shortly after. A couple of people who worked with Vavra on Mafia II were working there as well. Their words about him were quite unkind. Their impression of him was that he is a bit of an ego-maniac, trying to make it seem like he made the game just by himself, while in reality he was only a small part of a team. Reading some of the stuff he says in the interviews, especially local Czech ones also gave off an impression that he has a giant ego.
In short, he was a bit of a running joke in the office - like we should all go to their studio and take lessons from the pillars of Czech game dev, etc.

In short, my opinion is that some people like him see an opportunity to make a game of their own, partially cashing in on their name. Most devs go in the industry with a burning desire to make something of their own. But reality shows that joining a company binds your creativity a lot. People are hired to make what the boss/publisher/investor wants, not what the person wants.
So people like that start their companies, but it doesn't mean they are talented geniuses. Just disgruntled employees with an ego.
>>
>>322893398
Megatextures where an amazing idea that was poorly implemented and never took hardware optimization into consideration. If it wasn't for that the megatextures could've become the next industry standard
pls, do it for Carmack-sama ;__;
>>
>>322893398
>>322893398
>Wasn't John Romero just a fluke?
No, he was the real deal and these days people like to shit on him because of Daikatana and get off on spouting the "John Romero's about to make you his bitch" meme rather than aknowledging what he has contributed.
For example he is solely responsible for finishing and wrapping up Quake when every faggot at id Software quit working on it at that time. He left the company right after and never saw a single $ from the game's profits.
It is true, after the success of Wolfenstein and Doom he got full of himself and basically lead a rockstar lifestyle, which eventually resulted in Daikatana turning out underwhelming and disappointing, but man, life has humbled him since then.
He is or was a very capable game developer.
>>
>>322894626
he also managed to make the idTech engine that has megatextures, what was it, 4 or 5, to have texture problems just like Unreal, holy shit Carmack what are you doing

On the bright side, RAGE looks very good at a distance due to that tech, however up close it looks like utter trash
>>
>>322893790
>>322894337
yes but the point still stands. youre referencing full blown, feature rich, catch all engines. it tends to happen. coalescing features to singular engines how most of these larger engines started. a lot of the problems stem from framework constriction. like, whether its a scene graph system where loading is limited scene by scene. or a scene system where things are loaded level by level. this limits design. smaller games make new engines constantly. off the top of my head, things like spelunky. it made for what it does and does it well. its made for random chunk design with contiguous path building. or minecraft, out of core chunk loading even though its elevation limited but it works for what it does. then there all the the games flooding steam which are engine rehashes. platform engine + gimmick but are pretty much the same game. too many samey games nowadays. a lot of; working with whats there. little of; making what isnt, happen.
>>
I wonder how it feels for Vavra to see Mafia become SJW bait.
>>
>>322885492
>Daniel Vavra
>auteur

Fuck off
>>
>>322896513
>auteur/dev
learn to read, retard
>>
>>322896378
I'm sure you know since you follow him on twitter.

>>322896580
>big names of the AAA industry
>Daniel Vavra
>>
File: doll.jpg (55 KB, 498x462) Image search: [Google]
doll.jpg
55 KB, 498x462
>>322896843
He is, Mafia was one of the best games ever made.

Why does he trigger you so bad? Show us on the doll where he touched you
>>
>>322896843
No I don't. Eat shit.
>>
>>322885492

All of those people except Vavra are irrelevant
>>
>>322897180
Fuck off faggot. No gave a fuck about him until the twitter slap fight happened.
>>
File: MAncel.jpg (12 KB, 219x300) Image search: [Google]
MAncel.jpg
12 KB, 219x300
>>322897578
you are irrelevant
>>
>>322885492
things are finally coming full circle, so it seems.
>>
>>322889545
Sure, I would also put No Mans Sky in that category as well.
>>
>>322897662
Speak for yourself, you casual shistain. I've always been a supporter of his work because Mafia 1 is very good. I bet you never even played those games and just means and whines because of his political views.

Do us a favor and just flush yourself down the toilet
>>
>>322897662
>Nobody liked Mafia before Twitter
Why don't you fuck off? Mafia was a great game and Mafia 2 still gets threads on /v/ on a consistent basis. It seems like you're the one upset with Twitter here and not him.
>>
>>322897904
Played Mafia 2 it was awful.
>>
>>322897738

that's true, but at least I don't make rehashed tower-climbing games padded out with MMO-tier fetch quests.

>this faggot Ancel ruined Far Cry

absolute cancer
>>
>>322889545
>>322897829
Don't forget FEZ, Life is Strange and Her Story then.
>>
>>322897992
So you never played Mafia 1

just leave, you're clearly more interested in political slap fights than games anyway
>>
>>322898167
I just don't think he is comparable to those other devs listed.
>>
>>322898012
Ancel didn't work on Far Cry.

Rayman (1995) – Concept & Design
Tonic Trouble (1999) – Concept
Rayman 2: The Great Escape (1999) – Concept, Game Design, Artistic Design & Story Concept
Rayman Arena (2001) – Character Design
Beyond Good & Evil (2003) – Director, Game Design & Story
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie (2005) – Creative Director & Game Designer
>>
File: JENOrVv.gif (858 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
JENOrVv.gif
858 KB, 240x228
>>322898012
You talk like a faggot and your shit is all retarded
>>
>>322898147
What AAA games did Philip Fish work on?
>>
>>322898398
That's not what you said at first and even then it's not true. He has his own studio now and his crowd-funding was very successful. Mafia 1 was some revolutionary shit back in the day. There was nothing like it on the market.
>>
>>322898398
Just stop, you didn't play Mafia 1, while 2 was known for having tons of content cut, it was supposed to have a taxi system, boxing and way more stuff

You're talking without playing the guy's best game. Do it and then return
>>
>>322898672
>his crowd-funding was very successful

Yeah I wonder why. It's not like he was pandering to a certain crowd on twitter or anything.
>>
>>322898830
The physics were a decade ahead of its time. And the writing was fucking bold for a videogame where mobster games was something most publishers didn't dare to touch.
>>
>>322898874
You sound like a buttmad SJW more than anything. Literally nobody was talking about the SJW thing when the Kickstarter was running. Again, the GG boogeyman is all-present for SJWs.
>>
File: 1448800312036.jpg (86 KB, 529x626) Image search: [Google]
1448800312036.jpg
86 KB, 529x626
>>322898830
Mafia 1 was utter shit m9
>>
>>322898830
>this was before vice city came out

I see two people on the sidewalk. Not really impressed
>>
File: boom.webm (3 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
boom.webm
3 MB, 720x405
>>322899039
it's pretty crazy, it had way more technology than GTA III did, and still had more than VC that came after it, it had a clutch system and all kinds of detailed stuff
>>
>>322899154
Damn took you long enough to call me an SJW.
>>
>>322899436
You've been calling everyone a goobergator for 50 posts now so I thought I'd return the favor. In your world, nobody can like a game not SJW-approved unless it's political. Fuck off.
>>
>>322898398
He made two of my favourite games, Mafia and Hidden and Dangerous 2. That's very much enough for me.
>>
>>322899275
You are supposed to look at the physics. Because you won't find another game from 2001 that did that shit.
>>
>>322899550
>You've been calling everyone a goobergator for 50 posts

No?
>>
>>322899645
Yes.

>>322897662
>>322896843
You got mad that people liked his games because apparently he pisses off SJWs in his free time.
>>
File: driving2112.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
driving2112.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>322899269
ur mom was utter shit m8
>>
>>322899759
How is that 50 posts?
>>
>>322886409
Or you can use cryengine and not pay 4%
>>
>>322899773
Modern audience would never play this game. They are too ADD to deal with being fined for speeding.
>>
>>322899986
I love how clean Cryengine games look, but every developer out there says Unreal is way easier to use, so Crytek needs to up their fucking game.
>>
File: FUCK MAN.gif (1 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
FUCK MAN.gif
1 MB, 250x188
>>322899301
Played it on release day
>Getting a ticket for speeding, any obvious violation of road safety.
>My fucking face when
>>
>>322893146
Platinum has the advantage of being an incredibly efficient and reliable dev for hire though. As long as they do their job well, they get paid whether it sells or not because they're still ultimately working for a big publisher. They get to make what they want, but only when they find a publisher who wants to pay them to make it.

However, mid-size devs making and financing their own properties immediately end up in a situation where a single failure bankrupts the company. Sometimes it works, a lot of times it doesn't.
>>
>>322900362
>Crytek needs to up their fucking game
They're making f2p games and are nearly bankrupt. Crytek is dead.
>>
>>322901146
>we want the CoD money
Served them right. They could've remained a high-end PC dev but no, can't have that.
>>
>>322901146
They moved to VR games now.
>>
>>322901292
I'm sure that will work out just fine.

Fucking idiots.
>>
>>322901292
Two cheap projects in partnership/paid with Sony. They're just taking whatever they can.
>>
>>322901146
>>322901715
It sucks how they're going under because I think the appearance of Cryengine games is really nice. The textures are clean and sharp, while UE 3 had very blurry-looking textures in the way they are rendered, not to mention the textures pop in problem. Haven't had the experience of playing many UE4 games to see how it is
>>
>>322887941
damn so sexy
>>
>>322885492
From this list Ancel really surprised me. I was not expecting to be hyped as FUCK for what he's shown of WiLD. That presentation was fucking fantastic and I was even more surprised to learn that he works at Devilsoft.

Vavra promises too much but I don't think he's gonna deliver. I don't like how he tries to farm gamergate for attention because he's doing the exact same shit he criticizes, which is exploiting the masses for attention.

The prices to back up his game are entirely fucked as well, you have to pay an outrageous amount of money to have access to the three acts. I don't like him.
>>
all thanks to kick starter like businessmen models like pre purchasing games.
Thank you capitalism
>>
File: HAHAHA.jpg (7 KB, 225x257) Image search: [Google]
HAHAHA.jpg
7 KB, 225x257
>>322885492
>Thinking literally whos slaves from marketing and focus-testing teams are "auteurs"

The delusion
>>
File: 1443035768037.jpg (26 KB, 265x306) Image search: [Google]
1443035768037.jpg
26 KB, 265x306
>>322889685
>Tim "Joker gasoline scene" Schafer
>>
File: Froggy Kotick.jpg (5 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
Froggy Kotick.jpg
5 KB, 299x168
>>322905174
Nice try manlet
>>
>>322890501
>>322892191
Being against the left isn't counter culture here because we lived through true leftism and we know it's bullshit. As for PC, it never really took root here, so for us it's just some weird fad for people who have it so good they have nothing to complain about.

t. PepĂ­k
>>
>>322899301
>clutch system
Now I know why it's considered an exotic game.
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.