[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of retard hears "Wii U" and thinks "that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: B009AGXH64hardware.jpg (48 KB, 1024x665) Image search: [Google]
B009AGXH64hardware.jpg
48 KB, 1024x665
What kind of retard hears "Wii U" and thinks "that must be a Wii accessory"?
Why do people still use that excuse for the Wii U's failure? The Xbox One being named "Xbox U" wouldn't have done any harm. The PS4 being named "Playstation U" wouldn't have done any harm.
>>
Wii 2 would have sufficed
>>
>>322869680
>Why do people still use that excuse for the Wii U's failure?

They have to blame it on consumer ignorance, else they have to accept the reality that Nintendo put out a product people do not want.
>>
>>322869680
Nintendo named all their consoles something new up until that point. It wasn't like PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 or Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox 1.
>>
>>322870719
Nintend Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance

DS
3DS
New 3DS
>>
File: sexysexy.jpg (62 KB, 558x500) Image search: [Google]
sexysexy.jpg
62 KB, 558x500
The Wii U controller don't even has analog triggers, it's either on or off.

The fucking GameCube has analog triggers.
>>
>>322872126
Why does she look so nervous? Did she come to a difficult part of the game she's playing?
>>
>>322872242
shes playing dmc3se dmd mode mission 19
>>
File: uDraw[1].jpg (25 KB, 450x320) Image search: [Google]
uDraw[1].jpg
25 KB, 450x320
shit like this didn't help, that's for sure
just adding "U" at the end doesn't even remotely imply that this is a new console, especially when all the Wii's peripherals were called the "Wii x", like the Wii Zapper and the Wii Nunchuk.
>>
At the start they were really pushing the gamepad and not showing what the actual console looked like, to the point where I knew that the damn thing was a console, but I had to go out of my way to see it online. Obviously the console itself is visually unimpressive, with the design being nowhere near as interesting as the Wii, or even its current competitors. I still remember that, given the first glimpse I had of the gamepad (naturally, the console nowhere in sight) my first thought was "is that a peripheral?". Because it just looked like a damn peripheral at the time.

Now, if you really think about it the fact that it was confused for a peripheral wouldn't have had much of a negative impact, I think. In fact, it would've probably served to drum up interest. "Oh look, a new tablet controller for our Wii, let's go check it out." Naturally, the next thought is "oh, it's a new console. We're fine with our current Wii, thanks." But those people probably weren't gonna buy a Wii U anyway.
>>
>>322869680
> with the design being nowhere near as interesting as the Wii
Its literally a round Wii and the Wii itself was never interesting either.
>>
>>322873115
The Wii on it's stand with that blue disk slot light on is fucking iconic, almost anybody would be able to tell you "that's a Wii", because it was in every advertisement.

I can't even fucking remember if my Wii U has a disk slot light. It's just this rounded block and you can tell that it was made to hide in plain sight while the gamepad got everyone's attention.
>>
The target demographic would be confused.

That bring soccer moms, old people and adults who only bought it for Wii Sports.

It didn't help that the Wii had a ton of useless peripherals released for it from third parties and Nintendo themselves.

The early marketing either refused to show the actual console or shoved it in the back of every promo. Nintendo failed to make it obvious that the game pad was NOT a new peripheral.

The marketing itself was also ridiculous. The Wii's marketing campaign was simple and effective. It wasted no time showing people exactly what the Wii is and what it does. The early marketing for the Wii U spent more time explaining to soccer moms why the Wii U was great for families and how great it is to be a family that does things together. Those ads with the families going to Nintendo HQ and talking about how much they love each other did nothing to explain what the fuck a Wii U was.

The game pad itself was also something that really offered nothing worthwhile. It attempted to catch the tablet craze, but Nintendo failed to realize that people love their tablets for being portable and not being tethered to a home device. The game pad cannot function in anyway without the Wii U being nearby. I know you /v/irgins love to jerk off to TV Off Play, but a majority of people don't give a shit and that is not reason enough to buy Wii U. That and barely any titles used the game pad, even Nintendo pretty much dropped it. It was a useless device.

The Wii U could have done a lot better if they just made some better design choices and not had such an awful marketing campaign. It seems like Nintendo got cocky and believed it would sell on brand name alone.
>>
>>322869680
Because I've seen it myself all of the time, when I was buyingbstuff in stores. People come in and ask, 'Excuse me, can I play this game on my Wii or not?' (Holding a Wii U game). Or, 'Ah, so the Wii U is a new Wii? Can I use my old sticks on it then?' (The guy working there actually told them that no, they would not be able to do so.' Can you believe it?
>>
All they had to do was make a sequel to this
>>
>>322874820
Your anecdote is worthless. There were people that also thought Super Nintendo was an extension of the Nintendo Entertainment System, it doesn't matter since most knew it wasn't. Are you seriously going to sit there, and try to claim a significant number of people are still clueless three years later?
>>
>>322874820
>'Ah, so the Wii U is a new Wii? Can I use my old sticks on it then?'

That brings up another interesting point. The Wii U uses Wiimotes for some games, and had plenty of advertising done regarding the asynchronous play featuring Wiimotes, which may have confused some people in regards to it being a peripheral for the Wii. I mean, you wouldn't usually expect a console to use the controllers of it's predecessor in it's main games. I certainly don't remember the Wii having very many ads featuring the GC controller ports, if at all.

>>322875053
>and try to claim a significant number of people are still clueless three years later?
Nobody is doing that. The fog has definitely cleared up but there was a lot of confusion at the start and anybody who denies that is delusional.
>>
>>322875053

Nit him

I wouldn't say they're clueless anymore. They just don't care.

The PS4 and Xbone took all the attention away and I really don't feel any sympathy for Nintendo. They let that happen. They had a year head start and released nothing worth a damn in that period. They were too busy trying to save the 3DS that they didn't do shit for the Wii U when it really mattered.

Nintendo could be giving this shit away, and nobody would give a fuck.
>>
>>322875053
It is not just an anecdote anymore. Where I am from every store has huge 'Wii U games don't run on the old Wii' posters now. You don't see this kind of thing for the other consoles.
>>
>People hear the word "Wii U"
>The Wii comes to mind
It's that simple
>>
>>322869680
Millions of them. It's not any excuse, you retard, it's a sad reality. Go talk with anybody working at retail and you'll see how wrong and stupid you are.
>>
>>322869680
>What kind of retard hears "Wii U" and thinks "that must be a Wii accessory"?
Parents.
The kind of people who are usually in charge of a Nintendo fan's gaming funds.
>>
>>322869680
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg
>>
>>322876582
>'the new controller'
>show it right next to a regular wii controller, and the wii fit.
>'the new controller'
>'the new controller'

No wonder I thought this was just peripheral and not a now console at first. They don't even refer to it as a console in it's reveal trailer.
>>
>>322876582
This is fucking hilarious. This is exactly the advertisement that made me have to go look up whether or not it was a console, and now I remember exactly why.
>>
The Wii U was the subject of misleading publicity, just like Captain Phasma.
>>
Who comes up with the marketing for this shit? Does Nintendo tell NoA what kind of advertising to make? Or is Reggie that fucking stupid?
>>
>Friend wants to buy Wii U

What price do I give him so I maximize profits but minimizing him thinking I'm a greedy asshole
>>
Nintendo consoles and handhelds get mostly bought by parents for their children.

>mommy can i get a wii u?

>mom: why dear? you already have a wii.
>>
>>322877191

Except it was cut from a conference where they showed both the console and the controller.
>>
>>322878572
If my interest had been high enough to tune in for the conference back then, surely I would've known that they were revealing a console beforehand.

I, like most people, did not find out about the Wii U directly from tuning in to the conference. I heard it mentioned, somewhere, saw this trailer, and *still* had to do additional research to find out exactly what this thing was. And that's only because I had doubts about the feasibility of a new gamepad addon giving the Wii the ability to have off screen play. I can only imagine that the more technologically illiterate or just plain apathetic stopped right at the trailers and TV spots and assumed that it was a peripheral for a good while.
>>
>>322878235
$299.99+tip
$200-$250 is good
>>
>>322879513
>>322878235
You can buy a refurb Wii U directly from Nintendo (that means with a warranty) for like $200, and they might even still have some of the Zelda one's for just a bit more. I think they even come with a couple of games.

So, yeah, depending on how many games/controllers you're including, $250 sounds good. $200 if you wanna be a good friend.
>>
>>322878391
There is truth to this, right here. Back when I was a kid, there was the same conversation when it came from upgrading "the Nintendo" to "the Super Nintendo." One big difference between then and now, however, is that Nintendo know how to market the SNES to get past that.
>>
>>322871269
He is obviously referring to home consoles not handhelds you fucking tard.

Nice b8 though, made me reply
>>
It's just nintenyearolds making up excuses. The Wii U failed because it was (and still is) garbage. The shitty marketing didn't help for sure, but even if it was called THE SUPER NOT A WII ACCESSORY 2.0 it would have been failed with that shitty hardware and shitty collection of games.
>>
The reason why people still think Wii U is an accessory is because of the awful reveal, they only showed the gamepad.

First impressions are literally everything, Wii U's first impression was confusion, and it will stick around to its end.
>>
>>322869680
When they unveiled it at E3, they focused ONLY on the controller and never once showed the console unit itself.
To the point where even /v/ was convinced it was just a controller.
Even after they showed the unit for a while the average consume still believed it was an add-on.

I didn't believe it myself until I went to Gamestop, and overheard a mother being explained that the Wii U is an all new system they'd have to buy.
>>
The problem wasn;t just the name

It was the exact naming scheme was already used for accessories. They mired the new system's identity in with their accessories.

WiiMote
WiiMotion Plus
WiiFit
WiiU
WiiSports (And other games)

Coupled with the early promo videos talking almost 100% about the "new controller" and it actually isn't that unreasonable that large amounts of people got confused/uninformed
>>
>>322870058
Super Wii is super version
Agreed?
>>
>>322869680
>What kind of retard hears "Wii U" and thinks "that must be a Wii accessory"?
Literally every single mom that doesn't know dick about video games and just buys whatever their kid asks for.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.