[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly is wrong with indie games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: 1452055880740.jpg (72 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1452055880740.jpg
72 KB, 960x960
What exactly is wrong with indie games?
>>
rrrrreeeeeee
>>
Nothing, intrinsically.

Most of them are too grand in scope, and too little in execution
>>
some are okay, dumb frogger
>>
Nothing op. Maybe you should play some good ones.
>>
Market oversaturated, especially by pretentious turds, shovelware and lelsofunnymeme shit.

And the actually good ones getting an obnoxious fanbase around them.
>>
>>322861836
All indie games are trash.
What is this thread supposed to be about really?
Indie games usually have low funding or at least low spending. They aim to profit off of an average authentic experience. Instead of buying milk from the grocery store you buy it from a small farmer. It's only as good or as bad as you think it is.
>>
Same with Nintendo hardware, but for gameplay - trying to be TOO original, too new.
That's why Shovel Knight worked so well. It didn't force NEW MECHANICS on a big-ass poster into your face.
>>
>>322861836
Nothing, in fact most of my favorite games are indies - Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, UNDERTALE, Shovel Knight, etc.
>>
>>322861836
i prefer indie trash games over AAA title trash games these days. there hasn't been good games in years
>>
>>322862219
sent ;)
>>
the same thing that's wrong with "indie" anything. Most of them are made by self absorbed artistes who are surrounded by sycophants and have thier head so far up thier ass everything looks like shit to them. Then following this you get scammers trying to cash in on this. Then following these guys you have big corporations trying to make their games look indie so they too can cash in on it.
>>
>>322862302
Your nostalgia is shot faglord
>>
>>322861836

Nothing, as long as they are actively attempting to try something new.

When they are just slapping different paint on the same old shit is when there's a problem. Indies are in a tough spot because staying too safe and familiar is just as bad as trying something too out of the ordinary. They have to walk a fine line, and the most successful ones manage it.
>>
>>322862501
this is gaming in general and not just exclusive to indie trash
>>
>>322862730
Then why is "indie trash"?
>>
>>322862070
>this is elite:dangerous
>not an indie but AAA title
>>
its just that sometime shit get more popular than the good or ok stuff.
>>
>>322861836
Steam started allowing all of them.
>>
>>322861836
Memes man...memes
>>
La Mulana is an indie game. Indies can be masterpieces.
>>
>>322863407
Literally this. There have always been tons of garbage indie games, but ever since Steam started putting all of them up on the store, suddenly people started noticing.

Before, you'd only hear about the good indies, unless you were looking, now all the trash indies are being shoved in your face.
>>
>>322864269
>you: "mom, gaben is making me go through my discovery queue again."
>mom: "that's nice, hunny."
>>
>>322861836
Unoriginality and Early-Access
>>
Only indie shooters are worth playing. There is not one good AAA multiplayer shooter this generation.
>>
File: 1449959671247.jpg (48 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1449959671247.jpg
48 KB, 540x540
>>322864269
Indies were big before steam.
Don't try to change the past man, not everything is steams fault in the game industry.
>>
>>322864776
>>322864483
Are you guys niggers, cause you clearly can't read?
>>
>>322864967
>ignore discovery queue
>ignore greenlight
what exactly is hard to understand about this? {spoiler]nigger
>>
File: 1446517632458.jpg (29 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
1446517632458.jpg
29 KB, 500x491
>>322865074
On that note I really like the "Small Mode" on steam.
A nice little window with nothing but your games no social media bullshit or merchandising.
>>
>>322865074
Not even him, but when you're looking at the new releases to see if there's anything interesting, it's nearly impossible to actually run across the good stuff because of the flood of bad stuff.
>>
>>322861836

Nothing, they have their gems and are oversaturated with shit just like AAA games.

The notion that Indiegames are inherently shit has always been suspected to be a meme created by AAA interest groups after indiegames started to make poorfags into millionaires.
>>
>>322861836
They take advantage the same way AAA devs do.
>very little content
>possibly shit art
>possibly shit mechanics
>possibly shit story
>give any form of constructive criticism
>BUHU I'M JUST ONE GUY LAY OFF FUCKFACE, US INDIES NEED TO STICK TOGETHER!!! STARVING ARTIST STARVING ARTIST.
Also kickstarter and early access trash
>>
Successful indies make average /v/irgin feel insecure about themselves so they are bad.
>>
Nothing, except for it becoming a catch-all for microbudget, A, AA games. Its lost any meaning it might have had.
>>
>>322861836

usually the developers put no effort into making it look or play good
>>
>>322865521
>>you're looking at the new releases to see if there's anything interesting
>doing this
>ever
damn causal
>>
>>322866449
>calls people casual
>probably missed some great games cause he's a faggot who only listens to reddit and /v/ for game recommendations, instead of seeing for himself

Literally back to reddit with you.
>>
Nothing
Freeware games are fucking amazing
>>
>>322862070
>get a job
>work on game until its finished

How fucking hard can it be. I'm doing it so can the "real" indie developers. I know one unkown indie team that does freelancing and then works a couple of months on their game to then repeat the process.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.