[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do MMO's all feel the same?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 24
File: blade n soule.webm (570 KB, 140x190) Image search: [Google]
blade n soule.webm
570 KB, 140x190
Why do MMO's all feel the same?
>>
>>322854347
Because the same genre?
>>
>>322854347

Because everyone seems to assume "MMO" either means shitty WoW clone, or shitty Everquest clone when Everquest and kin weren't extinct.

Technically speaking, games like WoT and WT could be considered MMOs, but most of them group them into the vehicular combat genera since they have more in common with games like CS and TF2 than they do MMOs.
>>
>>322854709
Feels like they all use the same engine.
>>
File: 1452048202302.gif (2 MB, 264x426) Image search: [Google]
1452048202302.gif
2 MB, 264x426
>>322854347
Because people feel entitled to some unreasonable and unreachable expectations.

MMOs have been promoted as this miracle machines that will fullfill all your hopes and dreams, but honestly there's not much room for improvement, you end up with shallow gimmicks and half assed worlds and abilities that do the same with a different animation.

The ceiling for mmos has been lifted so high that it's really hard to reach, and every new mmo needs to push the limit some more to attract customers, while keeping them happy with their expecations from previous titles, so they end up with very little room for improvement and usually they don't even care if the game is interesting or not.

The problem is average mmo players don't really play more than 1 mmo at the same time, so the next big mmo has to be enough to separate them from their current game, and mmos are anything but cheap compared to other genres, you have to create a fuckton of assets and an entire world that seems somewhat interesting, get the best concept with big titty ladies and somehow justify your game having a sub fee or a jew cash shop.

People never seem to complain how similar Mortal Kombat is to Street Fighter, or KoF, or BB, or GG, or MvC etc... but when it comes to mmos everyone goes oh it's the same fucking shit... why does this mmo play like an mmo and not like Devil May Cry? or a racing game? or an RTS? or a fucking bowling game? why can't I be a pirate? why can't I make my own clothes? why can't I be a loli stripper? why can't I be a black enterpreneur? why can't I ride a jetbike? why can't I dual wield shields? omg no pantsu slot this game is dead on arrival.
>>
What's the most fun MMO right now?
>>
>>322855418
Honestly? At this point in time? Probably FFXIV, but even that's in a bad spot. WoW will probably retake it's throne when Legion comes out unless something massively amazing comes along before then.
>>
>>322855418
TERA?
I want to play Blade & Soul or Black Desert.
>>
>>322855418
wildstar if you're a themepark fag
>>
>>322854347

Why don't MMO's let me touch the fluffy tail?
>>
>>322855357
what game is this gif from?
>>
>>322855719
WoW Legion
>>
>>322855357
>Mortal Kombat is to Street Fighter, or KoF, or BB, or GG
>similar
what? in what way?
>>
File: 1452025638276.jpg (1 MB, 1826x2335) Image search: [Google]
1452025638276.jpg
1 MB, 1826x2335
>>322855418
PSO2. Not open-worlded, I've heard it called a combination of Monster Hunter, DMC and Vindictus, but I've only ever played the first of those.

In case that's a lousy explanation, let me tell you I find it fun, and that it was the answer after years of searching for something decent.
>>
>>322855719
Blade & Soul
>>
>>322855825
And I still want to believe it'll see the light of day in NA.
I put more hours into PSO in the Dreamcast than, maybe, any other game.
>>
>>322855965
no it wont Sega believes that they dont need to localize their game because the fans already do it, and its THEIR work around to get passed legal issues to get players their cross over anime shit

people from around the world are already playing it in droves
>>
File: SHOOPDAWHOOP.jpg (230 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
SHOOPDAWHOOP.jpg
230 KB, 800x450
>>322855965
Don't bother, come and play the Japanese version. Full English patches included with tweaker, English community's on Ship2, tons of content including a lot of crossover shit you'll never see come to NA.

Tweaker, basically a launcher, downloader, patcher etc. Get it: http://arks-layer.com/

And here's registration directions. http://www.bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-pre-open-beta-registration-guide/

Have fun, hopefully.
>>
File: 1407688219754.jpg (53 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
1407688219754.jpg
53 KB, 500x378
>>322854347
why cant there be an MMO that isnt an RPG?
>>
>>322855357
Don't really agree with this. The only thing I want is a sandbox fantasy MMO with high production values.

Sort of like a modern Ultima Online
>>
Because they all use the linear model of either grind quests to progress story and gain levels or grind mobs to gain money and levels for armor.

As it turns out the game's setting, characters, and story really doesn't matter if you're doing the same shit. The point of an MMO is doing shit in an online world. When you look further into the past at games like Runescape, Ultima, and Everquest a lot of times character levels are a reflection of how much game content the character has consumed. Yes there was always grinding but it wasn't limited just to killing mobs or doing quests. There were plenty of things that could be done to gather xp, armor, new ingame options and areas, etc.
>>
>>322856387
Planetside 2.

It's shitty.
>>
>>322855825
The game starts to be very fun when those scheduled UQ kicks in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVuQKjOI0O4
>>
>>322856392
This could be ultra lucrative, but you'll never see it because investors won't back anything that isn't a WoW clone. You'd have to wait for some Donald Trump or Elon Musk type character to come along and fund it completely himself for it to work.
>>
>>322856387
>what are MMOFPS
>>
MMOs are such a mindless grindfest these days. I used to enjoy grinding mindlessly, grinded well over 65 reps to exalted in WoW but it just doesn't have the same appeal anymore for some reason. Every dev seems to be under the impression that time consuming = fun, so it takes fucking forever to accomplish things in MMOs instead of being fun and challenging, they force players to do tedious and repetitive tasks for minimal reward.

If the content was made to be much more challenging and much faster to get to (leveling to max doesn't take a month) then the genre would be much better. I can't get into anything atm because leveling always feels like a chore. That being said, I do occasionally get into FFXIV because I love the aesthetic and world, but grinding is always off-putting for me.
>>
>>322856387
even gta online has to be an RPG. Its annoying, why cant it just be a world of limited resources with timed resource respawns where you can play random MMO quests and get cool stuff, GTA isnt about levels and grinding its about getting that cheddar.
>>
>>322855357
I disagree with your comparison between fighting games and MMOs. Fighting games heavily prioritize the PvP aspect, and in PvP, every match is different because there's a large variety in playable characters and opponents.

PvE tends to be the bigger part of MMOs, especially since PvE is the main leveling system in most MMOs and is also a method of obtaining endgame gear. People are of course going to get bored and call it all the same shit if leveling and endgame consist of farming the same dungeons and AI mobs, so they're more likely to demand new content and features.

People would complain all the same if fighting games had you farm the same CPU enemies over and over to get gear that boosts your character's stats and abilities.
>>
Ragnarok was the most unique mmorpg I ever played, and not even the people who made it could do it again, I guess I'm done with the genre
>>
>>322856502
I want to rebuttle, but I cant think of anything. Youre right. You have won.
>>
>>322856514
Don't be posting the good bosses though, let anon play it. DF Loser blew my fucking mind and he's still one of my favorite bosses of all time. Like, in vidya. When he was new and crazy hard, of course.
>>
>>322855825
You can't be fucking serious.

PSO2 is like the furthest thing away from being an actual MMO.
>>
>>322856627
>If the content was made to be much more challenging
wildstar did that and now it's dead.
>>
>>322855418
Blade and Soul if you like PvP.
>>
>>322855357
Shut up faggot. MMO's are shit because developers choose safe money over innovation.
>>
>>322856806
>start wildstar with a guild on launch
>by the time we reach the first raid we had cycled through 95% of our players
>had to absorb several other guilds just to get enough good players to do the first raid
>by the time we've finished the first raid there literally aren't even enough players on our server that are good enough to do the 40 man.
>>
>>322856806
Wildstar as a whole was very uninteresting and bland though. I enjoyed that it was challenging when it first came out, but still lost interest quickly. The combat was such a mess too, especially in PVP...
>>
>>322856782
Not the furthest, it at least has MMO lobbies and constant means of communication between anyone at any time, but, whatever.

I think DDO has the best formula out there. Open world, but with a limited party at a time. Allows for progression and dynamic shit, instead of "our world is in danger, run into this field and kill some soldiers that have just been standing there for years and respawning". Or, so I'd expect.
>>
>>322857041
Wildstar was made for the 1%ers of MMOs.
>>
>>322857212
DDO is really great and I can't wait for it to come to the west.
>>
>>322857041
>aren't even enough players on our server that are good enough to do the 40 man
to be fair though, 40 man datascape was just overtuned. the people who raided those first few months basically beta tested the raids so carbine could fix them later. so it came as a surprise to no one when 40 ds was changed to 20 man.
>>
/v/scape is still fun
>>
>>322856514
>Idola: the strange fruits kicks in at 12:00

I love how that song makes it into every pso game
>>
>>322857365
Right. I quit by around the third month so I never knew it was turned into a 20 man, but that makes total sense.
>>
>>322857239
this is the mentality that contributed to wildstar's downfall, I think. some people thinking vet dungeons or raids are just too hard for them. wildstar is hardcore in the same way dark souls is hardcore, which is to say it's not very. it just requires a level of competence and knowledge.
>>
>>322856387

To be technically speaking, any game that incorporates more than 2 players on a single server is technically an MMO a la S4 League or Pangya, it's just that everyone assumes MMO means WoW/Everquest and all its shit derivatives
>>
>>322857742
>Massively Multiplayer Online
>massively
>2
>>
>>322857742
Is DotA 2 and LoL MMO too?
>>
>>322857867

Did I stutter?
>>
>>322857680
You're overestimating the MMO player base though. We went through 30+ applicants while we were getting everyone attuned to the first raid and most of them could just not handle the most basic shit.
>>
I just want to play as my character in a living, breathing world. For MMO's it should be easy, since other people do this really easily. But for whatever reason, games continue to give everyone WoW's solo everything treatment.

I miss being able to make lasting friends while playing video games.
>>
waifufags ruined video games
>>
>>322854347
Because there has been one truly successful mmo, a handful that stayed afloat, and a landfill of garbage. They all tried to get as many players as possible with as little creativity imaginable.
>>
>>322857949
that's not massive you dumb fuck
>>
>>322857680
yes but the problem is the average mmo player isn't playing an mmo expecting a dark souls experience, mmos are usualyl laid back experiences where you grow over time by spending hours upon hours in character progression.

I played Wildstar on release, bought the game and all, and let me tell you probably 80-90% of the dungeons I ended up 3 maning every boss, the pugs were so bad, like god damn terrible, they didn't even want to talk, and couldn't stay outside of the red shit, every single run was a nightmare and a waste of repair money.

You can't have a game that requires a degree of skill when your average customer comes from much more forgiving games, at least for me it was a super frustrating experience, even if I liked the dungeons playing them was no fun because you're not alone doing them, you depend on the other random fucktards. And the daily island being the only way to progress on top of that was just the icing on the cake to quit the game.
>>
>>322854347

Because the only popular MMOs are WoW clones. The unique games either don't get released outside Asia or don't get heavy marketing.
>>
>>322858005
This is what modern MMO players don't understand. They don't want to need other players for shit, but then they complain when nobody communicates. Of course nobody is gonna say shit when you might as well be playing with bots who you'll never see again after 5 minutes.

But that's the shit that made old MMOs so great. Wanted to do anything in FFXI? Gotta get that group and you end up making friends. Wanna grind shit in RO? Gotta get that group and you end up making friends. When everything you do is solo you don't need to make friends and so most people won't and the apathy only grows from there. A normally chipper player will stop trying to make friends after a few failed tries and this keeps happening.

We need hard MMOs with low technical skill, but high dedication back. Allow us to chat while fighting and need help from others to do shit.
>>
>>322858148
it is if their americans kek
>>
>>322858005
How about making an MMO game mechanic wherein you increase your affinity to a particular PC. The higher the affinity, the more buffs you get. For instance, higher affinity to a healer allows you to receive higher heal points. Higher affinity to bard-type characters allows you to receive higher rates to percentage-based buffs.
>>
>>322857982
I don't doubt you burned through shitters while looking to build your ds roster. I guess what I'm saying is some people just don't want to make the effort to git gud. there's a 50 year old school teacher in our guild who got good enough to raid with us. if she can do it I'm sure a neet who does nothing but play vidya all day can too. it's not exactly hard.
>>
>>322855418
STO is pretty good with it's recent story content
>>
>>322858575
Just to add, this affinity is gained with the amount of exp you receive within the party. So the more you and other players get together, the higher the affinity you have with each other.
>>
>>322854347
1) Because MMOs are an enormous investment in terms of money and time with an even greater amount of risk. When your greatest hope of making an MMO is to barely break even, you're going to play it safe and copy what works

2) Because the genre is still a bit young, both in terms of time and in terms of willingness to innovate and expand (due to the previous point)

3) Because we just don't have the technology and tools to make a truly sandbox dynamic open world with enough freedom to actually feel like you are virtually living in a virtual world. Even games like Eve have to abstract all the gameplay and visuals to practically spreadsheet levels to mimic the mere semblance of an open, player-driven sandbox.
>>
>>322854347
Because you're still playing post-wow themepark mmos and korean microtransaction-waifu grinders
>>
>>322855418
mortal online
>>
>>322859536
>waifu grinders
What game allow me to put waifu into grinders?
>>
>>322854347
Because 90% of mmos for the past decade have been gunning for the WoWbux
>>
File: -4 strength.webm (2 MB, 1280x532) Image search: [Google]
-4 strength.webm
2 MB, 1280x532
Is there any fucking decent F2P MMO out there? Something I can just kill some time in? Tera? Rift? Wildstar? Blade and soul soon? I just want some fucking monster killing with people online.
>>
>>322855418
Aion
>>
>>322859857
BnS will be pretty fun.
Tera is dead along with being 100% solo til cap.
>>
>>322856673
What about PvP focused MMOs like Lineage, Lineage 2, Aion, Blade and Soul, Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Warhammer Online, and Dark Age of Camelot?
>>
>>322859857
kek
>>
>>322859857
Aion
>>
>>322859857
source?
>>
File: 1451850945866.png (448 KB, 800x1030) Image search: [Google]
1451850945866.png
448 KB, 800x1030
1. All MMOs believe they have to be like WoW to be successful. All stats have been changed to WoW stats, all builds are "raise this stat endlessly", all raids are the same fucking raids.

2. Most MMO players have an ideal MMO that they've already played and if the new game isn't like it they don't want to play it.

3. Everything has been done to death with very little room for variation or creativity. Most sell because they let people be little girls and give them clothes for dress-up.

4. Video games in general have moved to a more competition-oriented market, with the rise of MUH ESPORTS and crap like that.

5. Most people simply don't want to spend time grinding, killing the same pig ten times in a row, for a reward that just gives them the stats to kill the dire pig ten times in a row for the next quest.

Basically, MMOs are deprecated and used. Action MMOs and stuff that emulates Monster Hunter/Diablo still has potential, but they need to remove the current MMO system of leveling through grinding to do so.
>>
>>322860369
mortal online
>>
>>322859857

Warframe.

You don't have to pay for anything. You can slaughter to your hearts content.
>>
>>322860970
Thick?
>>
File: ZPXIw.jpg (165 KB, 605x532) Image search: [Google]
ZPXIw.jpg
165 KB, 605x532
>>322861496
>>
>>322856392
This is what I want.

Give me exactly UO but in 2015.
>>
Because World of Warcraft was a phenomenal success and developing MMOs is too expensive and risky to try to be different.
>>
File: oh bother.jpg (367 KB, 2048x1138) Image search: [Google]
oh bother.jpg
367 KB, 2048x1138
>love PSO2's character creator
>got bored of the game awhile ago playing with the english patch
>tfw no character creators like that in any other MMOs I've played
>>
>>322862315
PSO4 character is amazing.

Even with all those option no matter how hard you tried your character will still manage to look like potato.
>>
File: plz.jpg (149 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
plz.jpg
149 KB, 640x480
>>322862315
But anon, you have the most powerful character creator in the world: Your imagination.
>>
>>322861496
I am desperate, but not stupid.
>>
The only MMO I'm looking forward to right now is Black Desert. It has its issues, judging from the KR version, but after playing the NA beta, it's the first MMO in a long while that has kept me hooked. It's also one of the few recent MMOs that at least tries to not become like WoW.

I'm just hoping they change a few things with the PvP and cash shop. No need to turn it into another ArcheAge blunder.
>>
>>322862315
And PSO2's character creator is about to get even better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1-wnk2Qopk
If you're not a Cast
>>
>>322854347
all korean mmo's feel the same because it's the same kind of useless grinding

every other mmo is the same because there's no community with any of them
>>
They finally made a Ragnarok game with updated everything
It's mobile
>>
>>322862895
Did they fix potion spamming?
>>
>>322862895
>I'm just hoping they change a few things with the PvP and cash shop. No need to turn it into another ArcheAge blunder.
Anon, it's already sunk.
>>
File: TERA 2016-01-04 19-36-51-38.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
TERA 2016-01-04 19-36-51-38.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>322859857
If you don't care about p2w endgame and only want fun-things-are-fun-mindless-grinding go with TERA, play a melee or a gunner, most enjoyable combat system in a mmo without beeing overly complicated, go solo bosses or 5man instances. And the world is real eyecandy.
>>
>>322862539
I want to cum inside Nyanners!!
>>
>>322863142
No one knows anything about how the western version will be like. I'm just waiting. All we know is that it will be B2P instead of F2P like the other regions.
>>
>>322863285
Doesn't everyone? The fact that she's an SJW now makes me want it even more.
>>
>>322863002
Character still looks like potato though.
>>
>>322855357
Fighting games have a lot of depth and a high skill ceiling. Same reason why people don't bitch about RTS games.

MMOs are simple as fuck and take 50+ hours to get any worthwhile challenge that isn't just damage sponge.
>>
>>322854347
Are we getting those outfits in the US version?
Because I might play the game if so
>>
after playing ancient WoW with friends on our shitty pc's and pre cu swg even nge swg as well as the first guild wars for a while, i think i'm ruined when it comes to mmo's. i could never reduce myself to being able to enjoy some of the shit that's out now. i think i played the old republic for like 40 minutes before uninstalling -- what a fucking dogshit game. i can't imagine how masochistic you'd have to be to regularly play something like that or guild wars 2 or whatever. plus i'll definitely never pay a subscription for any game ever again so

i just want to player bounty hunt and fly an a-wing again man
>>
>>322856392
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Developers need to take a step back from just dropping in as much shitty content as possible and give players the tools they need to make their own content. It's simple.

For example, make a game with 4 major cities with differing themes that players can live in. You can sell your goods on an Auction house, but it only sells in one city. Therefore, if there is a hole in once cities market, a smart player can sell some shit there instead.

Make a system where players can only carry so much weight, so they have to put their goods in a caravan to take over there.

Make it so that outside of cities banditry is an option.

Now the caravan has to hire guards.

Now heading down the road to sell your shit of your own initiative is a tense and fun thing to do with actual rewards and risks, and the developers didn't have to make a shitty questline.

Take that shit a step further, maybe allow players to elect each other to positions of power and shit, now all of a sudden playing politics, declaring wars, having commanders, alliances, troops, a good economy, etc etc is all important automatically. It emerges from the fact that players actually have a stake in what other players do. The game is now an MMO for a reason, people are banding together like they should to achieve goals.

I don't really like EVE online because the community and gameplay are shit, but it really has a solid base that should be applied to a more conventional MMO.
>>
>>322863436
Its tendency around PSO2, somehow people likes to make ayylmaos, it doesn't really work in that game -- not anime enough.
>>
>>322861789
mortal online
>>
>>322854347

Because the market is now full of players who either don't really like mmos and want progression or just want single player mechanics that provide easy rewards rather than dedication.

Hence why safe themeparks that emphasize single player driven quests/story, cutscenes, and setpieces take precedent over creating living worlds and mechanics to foster communities. The market is a direct result of the majority, and the majority are people who probably just played WoW on a novelty and only want games to be 'more like X' rather than actual MMOs.

The problem is that developers listened because they wanted some of that deep sub change, so now western MMO development is dead so they can chase after the MOBA crowd.
>>
File: ofigt8n83qpzse95igga.png (455 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
ofigt8n83qpzse95igga.png
455 KB, 636x358
>>322864082
It suffered from the same shit as XCX and most Tri-Ace game. Trying to mimic animu style in 3D but utterly failed at doing so because reasons.

Although it feels kind of weird in PSO2 since they seems to already have non potato looking model in 3D already but decided to go with potato model for some reasons.
>>
VR will save MMO. Someone will feel compelled to make a Sword Art Onlne MMO and, even though it will be kind of shitty, the novelty of VR and reliance on player interaction (due to the devs being too incompetent to implement streamlined features of modern MMO) will make it the best MMO seen in years.
>>
>>322864061
That's literally everything Black Desert has, aside from the city politics. Robbing caravans isn't that rewarding though, and the karma penalty is retarded on the KR server so no one actually wants to kill each other.
>>
>>322860105
Still have to suffer through boring ass repetitive nonsense to actually pvp, and the pvp systems in mmos are vastly inferior to any other genre anyway so it ends up just wasting your time.
>>
File: no.gif (1002 KB, 272x198) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
1002 KB, 272x198
>want to try out FFXIV
>subscription
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 232x268) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 232x268
>>322859631
MO plays like it was funded by Kickstarter
>>
>>322864943
>subs keep poorfags out
works for me
>>
>>322854347
MMOs are severely limited by their very concept since we don't really have the technology to realize them yet.

Just look at multiplyer games that aren't MMOs like the Souls games or Monster Hunter. They already have issues with hitboxes and collision detection as is.
MMOs have no skill dodges. You real aiming. And they are all horribly bogged down since they can't properly communicate back and forth through servers without screwing up the game.
>>
>>322865138
and what does UO play like
>>
>>322864943
Pretty sure there's a free trial.
>>
>>322864782
I was interested in Black Desert, but the aesthetic really, REALLY turns me off.

All Korean games have this weird sense of outlandish cringe that I just don't like.

Maybe I'm just autistic, but I vastly prefer realism and grit. I don't want to play as some half-naked whore or some boy-band faggot.

However, I'll freely admit that I dropped my interest in that game before really learning much about it just because I thought it looked gay, so I won't judge you for liking it.
>>
>>322864943
If you don't go in with friends you're missing out on literally nothing.
>>
>>322865156
It's true it keeps BRs and shit out, and it's not even that pricey, I just hate the thought of sinking a bunch of money into something like that. I already did it with WoW once and regret it.
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 700x600
>>322865197
UO plays like the sadness that ensues immediately after getting off
>>
>>322865369
>>322865156
>BRs amd Pinoys don't infest Final Fantasy

L M A O
>>
>>322865324
It's the gloss. You can make some really badass or slumlord looking characters, but it's all ruined by all the shitty bloom.
>>
>>322865324
But the character creator is so in-depth that you can literally make whatever you want. You're not constrained to playing anime lookalikes. The game's theme is pretty far from that department anyway.
>>
>>322860054
>solo till cap
The true death of the MMO and yet everyone clamors for it. People have such fond memories of RO, FFXI, UO, and other such games because they were forced to interact and share their misery with others. When you have to talk to people you end up building friendships and sharing adventures. What we've learned from modern MMOs is that people will not interact in any meaningful way unless they are forced to and don't have mega servers to fall back on. Bring back accountability, misery, and low technical skill, high dedication difficulty and you'll bring back the golden future of MMOs.
>>
File: wizardsguild.jpg (306 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
wizardsguild.jpg
306 KB, 500x500
Guild for unreleased game I haven't played seeking Wizards.
>>
>>322866584
>RO

Fuck off with that piece of shit. Literally babby first mmo and and a bot first. People remember it fondly because it's their literal first mmo.

Its only saving grace is the economy system. Everything else is full blown mediocre or outright shit.
>>
>>322854347
WoW worked out too well and centralised the market too the degree only otherwise really seen in walmart or mcdonalds.
>>
>>322866736
RO had one of the best class systems of any MMO. It was varied and the classes worked well with one another.
>>
>>322856782
>>322857212
Wait so what is it? It look like an MMO I've heard lots about PSO 1 and I was thinking of trying to get my friends into 2 after the recs itt.
>>
>>322867447
Yeah, no shit. Each classes have like what? 5 skills to use, and like 3 builds at most per classes, which revolve around maxing few skills and nothing else.
Everything related about combat is literally 1-2 buttons spam

If they can't balance that shit might as well quit living.
>>
>>322854347
They don't. You just don't play good mmos. Try Project 1999 everquest and tell me it feels like other mmos.
>>
>>322866631
Can I join? I'm not really a wizard but I like to play them in games.
>>
What are some active games that I can be a healslut?
>>
>>322855418
Project 1999
>>
SWGEmu
>>
>>322868065
Is it actually good? I have mild interest in playing
>>
File: 1356680796904.gif (42 KB, 192x224) Image search: [Google]
1356680796904.gif
42 KB, 192x224
>>322865197
crushed dreams and halcyon days that will never return.
Fuck you, Everquest. Fuck you for destroying the MMORPG genre. Even today it is a pile of shit that has almost nothing to do with MUDs
>>
really enjoying STO currently, but I'm a huge star trek faggot and I just love pretending to be the captain of a starfleet vessel.

it kinda just makes me want a fleshed out offline Star Trek RPG with a lot of the same mechanics tuned up to 11, though. there are so many things in STO that might've been really good if they'd been given more love during development, but you can tell they were just an afterthought because the team wanted to churn out more and more content for people to grind through.
>>
>>322856387
I feel like eve online isn't much of a rpg
If you ignore reading the lore, not much story is given to you in missions
You can also grief people
>>
>>322869665
>You can also grief people

And how's that a bad thing?
>>
>>322869796
i dont think he was implying that it was a bad thing
>>
>>322854347
There's always Guild Wars 2 if you want something different. :^)
>>
All western MMOs are cloning WoW.

All korean MMOs are cloning Lineage.

Good players are diluted across a dozen or more games, and so shitters rule them all. If there are good players in MMOs nowadays they're so insular and cliqued up that you'll never meet them.
>>
publishers and accounting be like "hurr WoW had 12m subs that means due to bla bla market forces bla bla target demographic bla bla projected growth, overall we can hope to attract 20m to OUR mmo in 4 years hehexD"

and then that target demographic didn't exist and then WoW was just an anomaly and then everyone that loved making money by publishing games was sad.
>>
>>322859884
>p2w is considered fun
>>
>>322869796
It's the best part
Iirc the only thing you can't do is grief in starter systems, because that would be just plain evil

A lot of the most popular mmo's to me are just the same third person hack and slash with a extremely contrived ui
>>
>>322854347
>WoW comes out when I'm in college
>get addicted as hell
>spend every waking moment playing
>sitting in the Undercity one day just leveling up some mundane Engineering stuff for fun
>realize that I'm spending hours and hours just increasing random numbers that don't mean anything
>I've spent the past several months just increasing profile numbers
>the game will never end
>this shit will never end
>I could be doing so many other things, or, at the very least, actually enjoying other games

Quit right there, cold turkey. Never looked back.
>>
>>322855585
Black Desert is fucking awesome

> I was in OBT1
>>
>>322864782
>Robbing caravans isn't that rewarding though, and the karma penalty is retarded on the KR server so no one actually wants to kill each other.

And this is the main problem with MMORPGs today in that everyone just wants to min-max everything because no one has the time to spend on actually enjoying the game. That was the byproduct of opening up MMORPGs to the mainstream. No one really wants to spend hours doing something or doing it in less than optima fashion because it's more fun that way.
>>
>>322869923
Entertainingly, recent decisions made by arenanet about GW2 has resulted in a spike of players returning to GW1 to replay.
>>
>>322854347
Probably because they're all the same game with different visuals.
>>
>>322867641
>Yeah, no shit. Each classes have like what? 5 skills to use, and like 3 builds at most per classes, which revolve around maxing few skills and nothing else.

It's almost like classes have specific roles they fulfill in the ecosystem of game's classes or something. This whole "everyone can do everything and play it YOUR way" shit is what ruined the genre. Solo entitlement has been the cancer upon MMORPGs since WoW advocated for it.
>>
File: 144.jpg (114 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
144.jpg
114 KB, 960x540
>>322869665
Well yes. I don't think MMORPGs should be trying to tell a story, they should have a really well developed setting and lore while providing players with the tools to tell their own stories. Problem is most players nowadays basically want singleplayer RPGs with occasional people running around and some end-game.
>>
>>322870351
What decisions in particular? I know there's heaps of shit that has caused its popularity to go down, but could I get a list?
>>
I miss Silk Road Online's Merchant-Bandit-Guard dealio.
>>
>>322870006
problem is every new developer seems to be think mmorpg player pool is infinite when that's obviously not the case
>>
I'm surprised they never shut down GW1. I guess the one good thing everybody calling those korean faggots out on shutting down City of Heroes out of nowhere was that Arenanet wrangled a promise to be able to keep their servers running the original GW. The servers that Anet stole from Paragon Studios.
>>
>>322854347
Because they all clone the shittiest aspects of WoW.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IMdGCqNbYg
>>
>>322870730
because it literally costs less to keep it up then to keep up ONE gw2 server. and there's no need to have that bad pr by shutting down a game.
>>
>>322859884
Hahahahahahahahahahhahah
>>322860205
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH
>>
>>322863214
>The world
You mean the little girls, anon.
>>
>>322870180
lol nigga u old
>>
>>322870180
This is the feeling I always get. When I was a kid I went hard into WoW. It came out in my freshman year of high school and my entire high school life was dominated by WoW, but then the summer after my senior year I was sitting around waiting for a raid and that same realization hit me like a sack of bricks. I just had to leave the house and do something else. I still play WoW to this day, but only with friends. I don't bother doing anything on my own because that same feeling hits me every time.
>>
>>322859857
Guild Wars 2
>>
>>322871416

That reminds me: I ended up buying GW2 on August 25, like a day before the expac dropped and the base game went f2p.

Man, I got cucked hard.
>>
>>322871676
Me too nigga. Lmao
>>
>>322871676
holy fuck. I bought that game a long ass time ago and thought about playing it recently but what the fuck. going f2p is the absolute worst shit ever. I'm expecting br's and cheeki breeki if i ever go back.
>>
File: 1388048159483.gif (1 MB, 225x176) Image search: [Google]
1388048159483.gif
1 MB, 225x176
>>322871676
I got tricked by friends into buying it.

>GW2 is in beta
>get an invite
>try it out and I'm not impressed
>talk to buddies about it near release
>they're all getting it and wanna all play on the same server
>this group of friends consists of about 12 people or so
>I might as well get it so I can play with them
>get in and play with them for a few levels but different work schedules splits us up early on so we each go to soloing
>after a week finally get to max level
>check friends list
>most of them only made it to 20-40
>talk to them about GW2
>"nah dude, it was boring, we're going back to playing WoW"
>mfw
>>
File: 1447311753492.png (268 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447311753492.png
268 KB, 1280x720
>friends play MMO
>convince me to play
>they eventually quit
>I eventually quit
>friends want to play an MMO again
>convince me to play
>they eventually quit
>I eventually quit
>>
>>322872662
this is me
except that I'm the one who quits first
>>
>>322872662
>I want to play an mmo
>Try to get some friends to play with me
>They just don't play as much as me and don't seem to be that interested in it
>I quit because I don't want to play alone

My friends are such shitters
>>
File: Shot0010.jpg (683 KB, 1280x680) Image search: [Google]
Shot0010.jpg
683 KB, 1280x680
Who Lineage2 here?
>>
>>322873307
used to. game is all about pvp yet to be able to pvp you have to grind forever,and then grind some more for gear
>>
>>322872662
>>322872532
>In skype call with friends
>They start talking about TERA
>They get me to download it
>We all level together
>I start getting a bit ahead of them because I like shitting on nerds in pvp as a healer racoon cat called Donut steel
>Get really close to max level
>Everyone fucking quits

>In skype call once again
>They're talking about Final Fantasy 14
>I'm a massive fan of the series
>They convince me to get the demo
>Really like how comfy it is + all the little stuff it had over f2p mmos
>Decide to buy it
>They won't run anything with me

>"Hit level 50 (Before Heavensward) and I'll run dungeons with you"
>Put a week's effort into hitting 50 and beating msq
>Ignored for weeks
>Meet really nice people who hunt with me
>I tell my friends to stop being complete fucks
>They start being assholes
>Leave FC
>Join Hunt squad's FC
>All my friends do is talk shit about how my FC is full of shitters
>My FC is full of supportive people who, up until it died when our leader left, were willing to run any sort of dungeon or trial for fun because they genuinely liked helping out

Fuck your friends. Join a guild with nice people in it and roll with it. Don't care if they're not good, you can help them get better. MMOs are about community, and you're not going to get that if you leave because your faggot friends left or whatever.
>>
>>322873307
Fuck me i'm getting the feels again, any good private servers or something because official retail is shit and NCsoft deleted my characters
>>
>>322873591
this is why i prefer Runescape, you can do everything alone
>>
>>322873591

>not just being friends with your guildmates
>>
Ideal MMO:

No such thing as levels, skills and spells can be learned and retained.
Random item from unsafe "overflow" inventory is dropped on death, as well as a random amount of gold (1-10% of your total.)
No quicktravel, pick your starting city, deal with its politics.
Guilds can take over raid dungeons by fulfilling various requirements (basically have that shit on lockdown and grind.) It then becomes their guild headquarters, it can still be raided for the guilds things by other players.
Guilds can own cities if they kill the lord/guards of that city. They get taxes and levies by doing so, but pay for mercenary guards to protect it. If they choose not to, it basically becomes like the wilderness, lawless with caravan npc merchants that can be killed for gold.
Permanent capitals can send out armies to take over guild halls/cities.
Secret classes/weapon/builds that can be discovered by making consistently themed characters.
Crafting system that boils down to - Use X materials to build Y, X metal is best for blunt weapons, while this one is better for sharp or piercing, etc. Creates unique weapons you can name.
All inventory that doesn't fit in your personal bag must be kept in the world somewhere, and it can be stolen.
>>
>322872662
>friends want to play game
>convince me to play
>i get bored so i grind out the game without advancing the story because our schedules are fucked most of the time and never take advantage of the time when we can
>we play together
>whine that it's too easy because im too strong
>they eventually stop
>I eventually stop
>>
>>322873104
The only MMO I've ever quit before my friends did was Skyforge and that's cause it's a horrible grinding nightmare MMO.
>>
>>322873908
So basically a mix of Lineage and Ultima Online
>>
>>322873862
What a fucking faggot

>>322873881
FCs are guilds in XIV. I made a lot of friends in the FC I had with the hunt squad.
>>
>>322873307
spent all my youth playing this, no regrets. Crafting top gear was challenging and grindy as fuck and you didnt get a 100% for a succesfull craft.
>>
File: 1439709156948.png (599 KB, 867x720) Image search: [Google]
1439709156948.png
599 KB, 867x720
>>322872662
>Want to play PSO2 or DDO with friends.
>They're pretty normie and don't like playing with a half translated UI and through a VPN
>>
File: smug_reyjpg.jpg (28 KB, 260x378) Image search: [Google]
smug_reyjpg.jpg
28 KB, 260x378
if i can't be a loli stripper then why would i waste hundreds of hours of my life playing this game, when i could be playing a loli stripper in that game?
>>
The perfect MMO has:

>a wide variety of races to play that DON'T LOOK LIKE TINY HUMAN, LONG EAR HUMAN, HUMAN WITH A REALLY LONG BEARD AND ANIMAL HUMAN
>you can interact withthe world around you, like you can raid castles, cities and villages and actually claim them until you get raided back
>a great story
>you should be able to choose your stand. Are you a peasant, a soldier or a hobo?
>no fucking loot tables, let bosses drop a currency and py what you want with the currency
>random world events
>>
>>322873908
My ideal MMO has stats that have an actual effect in the world. STR required for moving boulders, debris, walls, or other blockades. DEX/AGI required for climbing vines, ropes, and shit. INT for dispelling barriers or divining artifacts.

I want to have an adventure in a world. Not take a ride on a themepark. Say there's a boulder that requires a combined total of 30 STR to move. Well you get 6 friends all with 5 STR and you move that motherfucker where ever you want; in front of a gate, in the way of a path, or even just push it out of the way into a lake. I want a world where the player shapes it at least for a little while, but I want this in a fantasy setting. EVE doesn't interest me.
>>
>>322874456
I have a little over 400 days worth of playtime on my wow account. What am I doing with my life?
>>
>>322874456
>Hire loli stripper to be a follower in my caravan and attract more neet, and therefore more artistically powerful guards
>Never explain that she makes twice their wage
>>
I'd like to see an mmo that has no quests, just requests from actual players for crafting supplies that drop off X animal, or completely wiping out the food supply for Y monster so your competitors can't stock up on whatever ingredient you just got a monopoly on.
>>
>>322874413
To be fair, the half translated UI is really annoying. I got super fucking confused playing through just because I couldn't tell what half the things were saying. Had to get my bros to explain that shit to me.
>>
>>322875513
I wanted to play DDO badly because it's literally the only MMO with actual good action combat, none of that dumb tera "M1x5 holy shit such skill based action man".

But it sucks to play solo because of inflated health bag bosses and the English community is really small.
Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.