[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the most comfy game ever?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 13
File: mass effect.jpg (34 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
mass effect.jpg
34 KB, 460x215
Is this the most comfy game ever?
>>
File: Luna_gmap.png (173 KB, 512x256) Image search: [Google]
Luna_gmap.png
173 KB, 512x256
>>322836848
>Exploring the moon for the first time
>Hearing the Rachni singing juxtaposed against the void of space
Amazing.
>>
probably one of my biggests disappointments in a long time after hearing so much good about it.

I literally could not continue after 6 hours...it was just so fucking bad. the combat was cancer, the movement was beyond clunky, every dialogue was either SUPER EVIL, SUPER GOOD or totally indifferent.

and fuck elevators
>>
File: no.jpg (36 KB, 383x155) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
36 KB, 383x155
>>322838960
picture.
>>
the presidium was fucking excellent, iffy textures and all. I agree OP, it's up there
>>
File: noveria.jpg (241 KB, 800x377) Image search: [Google]
noveria.jpg
241 KB, 800x377
I really liked the other two games, but there was something about the lighting and music in the first that made everything feel more... mellow?
>>
File: 3454_5abdf8b8.jpg (666 KB, 1920x1000) Image search: [Google]
3454_5abdf8b8.jpg
666 KB, 1920x1000
Mass Effect was great and kinda ahead of its time when it came out and once you get past the first 6 hours you're basically one with the game.
Mass Effect 2 on the other hand is the more comfy one imo everything was done better from start to finish I've never felt so involved in a game plustali is the best romance option
>>
>>322836848
It's certainly the best Mass Effect.
>>
>>322840813
How do you feel comfy in Mass Effect 2? Probing planets for hours on end?
>>
>>322840813
I think all three games had their highlights.
ME1 was good for setting the stage and painting the feeling of a vast universe that you were just a small part of.

ME2 was more personal and intense, scaling back on the big picture to look at the smaller ones.

ME3 intermarried the two a bit. Making the crew feel like more of a family back on the Normandy, but jumping from place to place as everywhere starts falling apart.
>>
File: elsanna_comfy.png (291 KB, 800x592) Image search: [Google]
elsanna_comfy.png
291 KB, 800x592
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_JVEXDrJYg
>>
>>322838960
I recommend easy mode for the first one's gameplay, but if the story didn't grab you at all by the time you have the first council meeting it just might not be your cup of tea.
>>
>>322841718
The music and atmosphere in one was so fucking comfy
>>
>impending alien murder swarm
>everything looks cold and plastic on the citadel

Yeah, comfy.
>>
>>322841718
>Exploring planets, not particularly looking for anything. Just getting lost in those worlds.
Fuck, man. I need to play these games again.
>>
>>322841318
It was when I started really figuring out my place in the universe and how I was gonna play it out for the 3rd one. It was such a drastic change from the first one. Probing planets got lame quick but the story and my fascination with space and ailens and shit kept me going
>>
>>322840735
I think you're right, and I think that may have been intentional. almost everything felt weird, alien, dingy, and unwelcoming except for a few oases of life like the citadel and eden prime/virmire when those weren't being blown up, and maybe the interior of the ship, so you valued those places more when you came across them. to me, as much as ME2/3 were much slicker and prettier overall, by comparison everything felt sort of clean and metallic across the galaxy
>>
>>322838960
you're an idiot for buying a game without knowing how it plays. you have only your dumbass to blame
>>
>>322842315
Wow nice screenshot
>>
File: TIM.jpg (26 KB, 515x574) Image search: [Google]
TIM.jpg
26 KB, 515x574
>>322841718
>mfw hearing this for the first time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKiOcV1SSc
>>
>>322843020
yeah, great song
>>
I love Mass Effect so, so much. I think I burned through it in 3 days on my first playthrough. The critical thing to it is that you have to appreciate its camp. Yes, it does have genocide and GAME-ALTERING CHOICES, but in between the film grain, the cheesy dialogues and hilarious romance options, this thing is basically just top-shelf space-opera pulp.

It's great. It's freaking great to play over a weekend or two, warts and all.

There are warts though. The optional content in terms of planets to explore is ridiculously bare-bones and copy-pastes the same environment so many fucking times I don't even. The mako handles like shit. The combat is typically just "meh."

Still doesn't matter. Virmire, Ilos, Noveria, The Citadel, Eden Prime--there's a lot of superb content here.
>>
>>322837930
I wish the Rachni decision had a bigger effect.
>>
I love the first Mass Effect.

I like the second Mass Effect.

I didn't finish the third Mass Effect.
>>
File: 1234443613.gif (1 MB, 580x324) Image search: [Google]
1234443613.gif
1 MB, 580x324
>>322843020
Well, looks like it's time to re-install.
>>
>>322836848
Atmosphere in the first game was comfy as fuck but the gameplay in the second was much more better.
>>
>>322843794
Continuing.

ME2 by comparison is a rather more mixed bag. Instead of a series of fairly large environments to go through, ME2 has a handful of hub locations with mission zones locked away off of them. Unlike on Noveria in ME1 where you land the Normandy and then set off on your way towards what turns out to be the dungeon, the ME2 dungeons are all clearly telegraphed instances of "THIS IS A MISSION" where you simply go and kill enemies down a corridor for 25 minutes. The focus on characters over environments or plot really led to this, and ultimately it makes the game feel very fragmented for me. Plus all the optional content, the grinding for resources for upgrades, is really necessary in ME2 in order to get the best ending you can.

And by god, if one more person praises ME2's characters, I'm going to punch them. Perhaps three of them (Jack, Garrus, Mordin) are worth paying attention to. The rest are throwaways.

It has better gunplay but it's a worse, well experience. I've still played it through twice, and enjoyed myself, but there are a lot of holes that people don't seem to note in their discussions of it.
>>
>>322844503
This
>>
>>322841989
difficulty had nothing to do with it. I played on the hardest setting the game would allow me (couldnt do the insane or whatever option tho). with kb+m you can always overcome the artificial difficulty these console games have.

>>322842773
great post m80. looking forward to more of your hot opinions in the year 2016. be sure to sign them so I know it's you.
>>
I'm about to start this tonight.
>>
>>322843794
My only major complaint about the first game apart from the lackluster combat was the small variety of Mako missions.

It felt grand and epic landing on the moon and exploring different planets for the first time, but it's a shame there wasn't more to do than just storming multiple identical facilities and killing everyone inside.

It's a style I hope that they avoid for Andromeda's exploration missions.
>>
File: 1436277896927.png (226 KB, 528x404) Image search: [Google]
1436277896927.png
226 KB, 528x404
>>322841718
Hearing it in ME3 was bittersweet.
Playing ME3 was bittersweet.
>>
>>322844769
Eh, I agree and disagree.

The focus was more fragmented, but the character quests and backstories still went beyond what the first game offered. In ME1, interaction with Tali's just gives a lot of exposition on the Flotilla and how it worked, but in ME2 you actually see the place and interact with their politics.

The main story was definitely weaker than the first game, but I'm glad it took the time to flesh out all the other worlds and characters that wouldn't have had the time otherwise.
>>
File: me_andromeda.jpg (42 KB, 670x338) Image search: [Google]
me_andromeda.jpg
42 KB, 670x338
>>322845804
They better not fuck up Andromeda.
>>
>>322846314
I'm keeping expectations moderate. It'll probably be enjoyable in its own right, but I think I'll be disappointed if I compare it too closely to the originals. Best to expect it to do its own thing.
>>
>>322846846
>Best to expect it to do its own thing.
It's literally going to be Dragon Age: Inquisition in space.
>>
>>322847516
Maybe they'll find more of a balance between environments and content?

Hard to imagine the exact same fetch quest styled format for Mass Effect.
>>
>>322848810
>Hard to imagine the exact same fetch quest styled format for Mass Effect.
Dunno how they'll handle quests, but you'll have a War Table equivalent. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing though.
>>
>>322848951
>War Table equivalent
If it equates to potentially not being able to progress with something for 12 hours because the A.I.'s off faffing about offscreen, then I feel lukewarm about it.
>>
>>322843020
god tier credits song, it fit perfectly
>>
>>322846314
Lower your expectations, anon. Better yet, don't expect anything at all.
>>
File: 1355289856630.jpg (92 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1355289856630.jpg
92 KB, 1280x720
>>322837930
I couldn't believe they didn't bring back the rachni songs in 2 and 3. They were so perfectly creepy.
>>
>>322836848
God no it was awful and tedious. Two fixed the issues.
>>
>>322841470
Lighting and graphics were better, characters felt more dynamic, gameplay more refined, game felt more like a personal sci-fi adventure over the grand epic one of its predecessor, exposition was already taken care of in 1 so you could focus more on the intricacies of the universe, soundtrack was on point, and more.

ME2 was the most fun of the 3. ME worked well as an intro but had glaring issues and Bioware kind of lost their minds when handling many parts of 3.
>>
>>322844268
probably is one of the ones that matters the most desu, althought that's not really saying much
>>
>>322854742

ME2 was too action oriented. The clunky combat of 1 actually suited the weird TPS/RPG hybrid thing they had going.

Also, you had a lot more options for skill development. ME2 did a little too much streamlining, and the story ended up being irrelevant and pointless in the whole arc of the series.
>>
File: Rölli Kultakuume.jpg (17 KB, 450x297) Image search: [Google]
Rölli Kultakuume.jpg
17 KB, 450x297
>>322854979
>war assets
>>
>>322855007
Not really. Biotics in 1 were the only skills that had some variation. Tech skills were just different colored explosions that might slightly differ effects depending on whether your target was organic or mechanical. And Soldier skills were gun buffs for X amount of time that slightly altered how the gun fired and up'd the damage.

Pretty much everything else on the skill trees were passives.

Not to mention the fact that all the armors had the same basic look with color swaps and some minor altered assets.

Hell even guns could just be broken down to the 4 categories. There was really no difference from a shotgun you got at the beginning of the game and one you got at the end aside from the stats. The only thing that might make them different were the weapon mods which, more often than not, just gave bonus stats and did little else.

People bitch about the lack of customization in 2/3 but there were a lot of misleading options in 1. Just because you have the option to change something doesn't mean it actually affected your gameplay.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.