[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /v/ opinion on first person dungeon crawlers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: japanese dwarf.jpg (17 KB, 425x346) Image search: [Google]
japanese dwarf.jpg
17 KB, 425x346
What's /v/ opinion on first person dungeon crawlers?
>>
Love em
>>
They're great and addicting.
>>
File: LoGR.jpg (603 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
LoGR.jpg
603 KB, 1920x1080
An essentially dead genre that never gets enough loving.
>>
Nothing inherently wrong with them, but all the ones I played have RNG and/or increasing values you can farm (xp, gold, etc) or simillar carrot-on-stick mechanics so I ended up ignoring the genre all together.

Are there any that are actually skill based?
>>
>>322719486
Define "skill".
>>
I like them, but prefer ones that are on the ARPG side of things. FROM's games are great for example, Very simple and straightforward but also very atmospheric and rewarding to explore. SMT and Legend of Grimrock are fantastic too. Etrian Odyssey's pretty good but gets a bit too repetitive for my tastes. Should probably play the genre more.
>>
>>322720080
>see a cool loking 90's DOS dungeon crawler
>real time every time
Unfortunately that's a kind of game I'll never come to enjoy. I stick to Wizardry clones.
>>
File: 1443360120997.png (173 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
1443360120997.png
173 KB, 800x480
>>322718901
>first person RPG
>tiny objects don't have outlines and don't have a flash
>>
The Japanese are somewhat ruining the genre with low production values and thinking that integrating a visual novel is a valid substitute to decent production values.
>>
EO is super high-tier and the rest are just ok or plain bad.

Vita owners seem to massively overrate certain dungeon crawlers, see Operation Abyss.
>>
>>322720652
>production values
What does that mean?
>>
>>322721021
No you're just a console warring faggot who won't play any other dungeon crawler if it's not on 3ds
>>
>>322719370
Legend of Grimrock is the only DRPG in recent years that I've enjoyed.

Tried the EO games, but just couldn't get into them. It feels like most of the game is played out through menus rather than actual interaction with the world like with Grimrock.
>>
>>322721021
I'd say OA is actually underrated even by Vita owners because
>hurr durr why is this Wizardry reskin so much like Wizardry
Generation Xth was better though.
>>
>>322721829
I felt like Grimrock would have more strategic if it was turn-based, instead of being able to attack and then circle-strafe around the tiles so your opponent never has time to attack you.

Not played the sequel yet (backlog), but perhaps it addresses that point in some manner.
>>
>>322719048
Took the words out of my mouth, I love em'.

It's a shame that most modern ones are filled with moeshit to pander to pedophiles, though.
>>
>>322718901
is this character from a first person dungone crawler
>>
theyre fun. etrian odyssey is super fun, and grimrock 2 is great. i couldn't really get into elminage gothic, it has way too many dated mechanics
>>
>>322723120
Yeah, Class of heroes. It's pretty neat, the amount of weapons you can equip is absurd (Pom Pom's, rabbit ears, school uniforms, lances, swords, Yo-yo's, etc.) since it has a neat crafting system.

Crafting is bugged in the second game though, and it hasn't been patched. It's hard as first, but becomes so easy towards the end. (In the second game, my entire party was in the Lv.70 - 80's while the final boss was merely Lv. 50)
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.