[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
was it really that bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: Catalyst_kid.png (343 KB, 432x752) Image search: [Google]
Catalyst_kid.png
343 KB, 432x752
was it really that bad?
>>
>>322588620
Absolutely.
>>
Undertale....
>>
>>322588620
yes
>>
No because indoc theory is real
in my heart

really though the oily shadows shit proves it
>>
The ending where you shoot the catalyst is the best one you can get.
>>
>>322588786
How does it react
>>
>>322588620
Someone please post I will still be mad
>>
>>322588620

Yes and I'm still mad.
>>
>>322588620
It ruined the franchise. I'll never be able to play it again, not even future titles.
>>
>>322588620
the only good ending is the fuck everyone ending

because fuck everyone
>>
>>322589267
It says 'So be it' and then Shepard just kinda gives up and humanity goes extinct.
It was like a slap in the face by Bioware to anyone who didn't like their dogshit
>LOTS OF SPECULATION!!!!!!
ending, like they were just saying 'There, your new ending, happy now?'
>>
>>322589267
It just takes away the choices and the cycle continues. Liara leaves all the information in a capsule for the future races. Credits roll. The dialogue with the stolen photoshopped snowy image says that they were saved with that information.
>>
>>322589649
Tbh them losing the cycle is good but it sounds like its executed like shit

I still believe in indoc tho
>>
>>322588620
It's not that it was bad, it's that it was stupid and everyone thought it was because gamers just wanted happy endings.
>>
>>322588620
Yes
Ruined all 3 games for me
>>
>>322589808
It is poorly executed, but that is part of its charm, I think. I did it because I downloaded the extended endings and I was mad as fuck, so I shot the kid for fun and the credits just roll out of nowhere. It was hilarious and I was satisfied with that for a long time.
>>
File: sir not appearing in this lore.jpg (516 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
sir not appearing in this lore.jpg
516 KB, 1920x1200
Splitting ME2 between two writers with two very different ideas on where the series should go was the absolute worst decision the could've made
>>
>>322590220
>pic

Is this about the suggested
>FTL travel kills the universe
plot?
>>
An all-knowing AI appearing as a shrill-voiced kid is the worst thing you can make.
>>
>>322589649
You losing but passing on the information for the next cycle to win actually sounds pretty good.
>>
>>322590591
Yeah, there's bits and pieces in the first two games about how official research is still on the fence on how unnatural dark energy emissions are flooding the galaxy compared to natural occurances, mostly due to relay usage, but ME2 has evidence that routes with heavy emissions have been fucking with a suns gravity field, causing massive radiation and heat to spread to a former Quarian colony Tali was on

Back then, the original speculation was that Reapers enacted a purge every 40k years in order to give the natural balance of dark energy a time to recover from the man-made emissions, with another theory being that they were synthetic construction equipment that became sentient after dark energy fucked their creators up
>>
>>322591186
Thanks.
It really bugged me that I never learned what the fuck was up with that star, though I assumed I just wasn't paying attention.
>>
>>322591057
Shouldn't have shown if they succeed though, just leave us hoping
>>
>>322591393
They never really say HOW it fucked the sun up, just that dark energy definitely did something to it's accelerated-decay, so most people forget about it the moment you leave the Floatilla because of how red herring-ish it turned out to be, as you never hear about it again
>>
Why couldn't they have just been motivated by a desire to uplift exceptional sentient lifeforms as some sort of intergalactic biological archival project? Why did it have to be that dumb synthetics v. organics shit?
>>
>>322591549
Should have ended showing an unknown alien holding Liara's capsule and listening to the entry on Shepard
>>
>>322591186

Dark Energy ending would have been miles above the dogshit ending they went with, even if it can best be compared to the plot of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann crossed with the plot of Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
>>
>>322588702
Wuz....
>>
>>322588620
Yes it really was.

Having all that bullshit delivered by a kid was the final indignity.
>>
>>322591690
The original conversation you have with one in the first leaves you with the 'we're so beyond you, you couldn't possibly imagine our motives' impression, but...
>>
>>322591549
It doesn't outright say that they defeated the reapers. They say that they "have peace" and without the information they "would be threatened." So either they DID defeat them, or they don't feel like it's going to be a problem when the reapers do eventually come around.

Either way, it's better off being open ended. I actually alt f4'd when the credits rolled, so I didn't see that part the first time. It was better with just Liara saying "welp, we all died."
>>
>>322591057
>You losing but passing on the information for the next cycle to win actually sounds pretty good.
That's what the Protheans thought too
>>
>>322588620
It's like a pretty girl that's doing striptease, slowly removing her clothes, and after she finally removes her panties turns out she has a dick
>>
>>322589950
I tried the happy ending mod out just for something different, and even that showed that the ending we were railroaded-into was built on load-bearing plot, since the way the mod "fixes" things is adding a fuckload of essay-length deus ex's which save you last-minute

>>322591773
The Reapers should've at best been a contained threat at the end of ME1, because before the retcons, it was implied that not only are they incapable of traveling through dark space in a timely manner, they're absolutely fucked if they don't get the wake-up call from the Citadel. Now with Harbinger and Arrival, it turns out that none of that shit mattered ever, and they're capable of invading from any relay they feel like at-will
>>
>>322591690

This right here. The whole synthetic vs organic bullshit was a smokescreen for the Reapers from the very beginning. They're bio-organic monstrosities that wipe out/convert all sentient life. They used the geth the same way they used the collectors. The least the writers could have done was make the Reaper's motivation something about the general self-destructive nature of sentient life. Making it specifically about man vs machine cheapens the whole conflict and sets it back to game one.
>>
>>322591834
awsum
>>
>>322592113
OP didnt ask
"was it really that good?"
>>
>>322592128

You can't introduce giant cyber-organic cuttlefish and not have them show up again. But yeah it would have worked better if the final goal was stopping them from reaching the Milky Way because, like Lovecraft's monsters, the second the Reapers arrive everything in the galaxy should be proper fucked.
>>
>>322592318
I know that this possibly can derail thread to the point that it won't even resemble its first few posts, so I hate to say it, but
>dickgirls
>good
Pick one
>>
>>322590220

What directions were those, familia?
>>
Yeah it was really that bad. Like the end of A.I. crossed with the entirety of Prometheus bad.
>>
>>322589881
This.
>>
File: LK6cOUR.jpg (646 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
LK6cOUR.jpg
646 KB, 1920x1200
>>322591961
While the Protheans were probably too advanced for their own good by way of communications, what REALLY screwed them was the Mu relay falling off the face of the galaxy due to some of the worst fucking luck ever, cutting the current cycle off from their main hidden base of operations with it's giant cache of Reaper info

The crew that stayed behind during the one-way Keeper shutdown mission probably just thought they could wait it out in stasis for the next cycle to find Ilos, but not only were they completely isolated due to their relay being blown-off by meteors, the only species that knew the new location were fucking Rachni, and they basically just waited themselves into extinction under Vigil's discretion

And like most things in ME2, Ilos magically-became a literally-who planet, because the most you hear about it's rediscovery is that everything shut-down for good, the end
>>
>>322588620
>tfw still remember that SFM of him and Miranda
>>
File: f o r y o u.jpg (561 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
f o r y o u.jpg
561 KB, 1920x1200
I'm also claiming best girl in a surprisingly waifu-free ME thread
>>
Should have let us stop the reapers by romancing them
>>
It really was a pretty big letdown given everything that led up to it. One game with a shitty ending is forgivable, but a continuous trilogy with so many choices throughout ultimately leading to the same shitty ending every time really sucks. Hurts the replay value too.
>>
It ruined the series. Good job Faggoware
>>
File: Miranda.jpg (120 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
Miranda.jpg
120 KB, 1280x850
>>322593137
>he doesn't like his waifus genetically perfect
>>
File: HYPE.jpg (120 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
HYPE.jpg
120 KB, 1920x1200
>mfw this loading screen came-up for the first time in 2011
>mfw this loading screen came-up during a post-ME3 replay
>>
>>322593485
>Waifu so badly ugly that he uses fanart
>>
File: Her smile and optimism - gone.webm (3 MB, 628x636) Image search: [Google]
Her smile and optimism - gone.webm
3 MB, 628x636
>>322593485
Miranda is garbage, just like her entire family

Her dad coming out of nowhere to lead this death camp in ME3 was the most asspulled attempt ever at giving her character something to do
>>
>>322592573
The original idea was that the reapers were scared of the expanding dark space and were fleeing from that and that's why they were invading. This also fit the original way of doing things in the series, similar to the star trek TNG series, by talking things out, making friends and turning enemies into allies, instead of just shooting at the big bad and blowing things up like in ME3.
I think it's a fair assumption that, if they went with the original idea, the reapers would've joined your side in the end.
>>
Yes.
Yes it was so bad it still hurts.
Never I felt so offended by a game, and since then I never buy at full price.
>>
>>322593485
>"Perfect"
>Massively incompetent at everything she could be made to attempt
>Completely dependent on outside help with literally everything
Miranda is one of the worst cases of a writer saying a character is competent, but ultimately never actually showing said competence.
>>
>>322589648
>It was like a slap in the face by Bioware to anyone who didn't like their dogshit
Honestly, I felt that it was pretty refreshing ending.
>>
>>322594178
>The cycle is no longer a solution
>*shoot kid*
>Welp I guess we'll keep doing that cycle thing despite allegedly being extremely intelligent we can't think of anything else but this cycle thing we already admitted was bollocks and needed a new plan :^)
>"Honestly, I felt that it was pretty refreshing"

How retarded are you really?
>>
>>322593784

Is that what we were doing in that level? I completely forgot about that nonsense.
>>
>>322594328
Many people expected to be able to 'solve' the Reaper problem by themselves since Shepard was basically a walking one man army. It's very fitting for a space opera, but ME3 reigns it in by showing the cracks in his armour and foreshadowing that it's very pretentious and haughty to think he could save the human race through brute force.

In the end, if you chose to continue being a brute about it like some cliched action hero there to save the day, you get hit with the full brunt of reality.
>>
Yes

>Spend entire series trying to find way to destroy reapers who want to exterminate all life in galaxy
>Thousands of people die trying to stop them
>Find way to destroy them
>Suddenly you're a bad person for wanting to destroy them
>>
>>322594178

The one good thing about that ending was that Harbinger showed up one last time.

I still can't believe the two kilometer long ancient horror got second billing behind Martin fucking Sheen for big bad.
>>
>>322594620
Except while that might be nice and edgy or the teens it makes no fucking sense in the narrative.

You have a massive fucking fleet fighting the reapers, somewhat successfully I might add, and the reapers themselves have just lost all reason to exist, even admitting themselves that the cycle is a flawed solution, they have no reason to stay and fight.

What you do is you tell that kid to fuck off, that his thinking and his "solutions" are all flawed bullshit, that the only real answer is for the reapers to just fuck off and stop what their doing without these extreme and absolutist choices, it's not a "Shepard beats everything by himself" it's "rejecting this retarded bollocks that by your own admission makes no goddamn sense"

Seriously though, how retarded are you really?
>>
>>322594679
I hated Harbinger in comparison to Sovereign, Harbinger's all "I'M SCARY AND I'M GOING TO DO MEAN THINGS TO YOU JUST YOU WAIT", while your one and only conversation with Sovereign does more for his character than endless Harbinger taunting ever did
>>
>>322591773
>the plot of Ching Chong Dimmidong with the plot of Supaa Happii Herro Kiitchi
What?
>>
>>322594620

Which would have been far more compelling if that had been their original intent. I think all of /v/ would have gotten a little chuckle out of it if that had been an actual option in the game before the Extended Edition.

But that's not what happened. Bioware got their jimmies rustled because people called out how terrible their game was and decided to put in the option because it was so common for people to shoot the little twerp in the head at that juncture. It wasn't about showing how futile brute force is against such an opponent, rather it was the Emperor spitting down at the masses who rightly told him he had no clothes.
>>
>>322594909
Funny thing is that Blizzard basically decided to copy-paste Harbinger for their big bad in SC2, it was predictably horrendous.
>>
>>322594909
Do you have any graphical mods going? The game looks a lot better than I remember it being.
>>
Honestly enjoyed the laughable PR stunts and biolover forum drama that surrounded the game more than the game itself

EA's gay-flag waving
Articles telling us to stop feeling entitled to the game being good
The fascist police state that was the Bioware forums

Good times. Hilarious times.
>>
>>322594995
Why are you on this website? I'm pretty sure reddit has a video game board that'd be more your speed.
>>
File: 1431122889920.png (330 KB, 471x467) Image search: [Google]
1431122889920.png
330 KB, 471x467
>>322594880
>Except while that might be nice and edgy or the teens it makes no fucking sense in the narrative.
Why do you think that's edgy? Drop the meaningless buzzwords or accept your status as a shitposter.

>You have a massive fucking fleet fighting the reapers
Did you miss how everything pointed to them outnumbering you like 100:1 even with the combined forces of the galaxy?

>even admitting themselves that the cycle is a flawed solution, they have no reason to stay and fight.
Which is why they offer Shepard a solution. If he doesn't take it, he just proves himself to be an ignorant brute so they exterminate everyone again until they can find an answer.

>What you do is you tell that kid to fuck off,
Yeah, and that kid has the power to exterminate the galaxy. Good job pissing him off.

>Seriously though, how retarded are you really?
Honestly, I'm done with you. It's 4AM here and seeing you scream
>RETARD RETARD WAAHH RETARD

Is getting tiring. Goodnight, friendo.
>>
File: 1435897123694.jpg (203 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1435897123694.jpg
203 KB, 1920x1080
>>322593281
On all my replays I just ended the game after citadel DLC, which I thought was the best part of me3
>>
File: EDIick.jpg (472 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
EDIick.jpg
472 KB, 1920x1200
>>322595049
Texture packs + ENB + SweetFX + SSAA
>>
>>322592445
>You can't introduce giant cyber-organic cuttlefish and not have them show up again.

Sovereign's goal in opening the Citadel relay should've been more ambiguous. Instead of outright being an invasive force of more Reapers to scour the galaxy, it could have been left completely unknown as to why he wanted to open it or whether or not he was the only Reaper in existence.

You don't really need any more than "This stupidly powerful giant robot tentacle monster wants to open a gateway into darkspace and shut down all galactic traffic", as a reason to want to stop Sovereign. As the series went on they could have adjusted who or what he was working for/with, and why.
>>
I have thought days about this, but I cannot come up with a way to make reapers work in the given universe. Without bad-fanfic asspulls, of course.
>>
>>322595113
>they offer Shepard a solution
Four flavours of everybody dies is offering a solution?
>>
>>322588786
u wot meight ? the only endings are animation colors there's no ending to shoot anyone .
>>
>>322595113
Go to sleep Casey.
>>
>>322595113
>Why do you think that's edgy?
Oh I don't know, maybe due to how it fits the definition of the term?

>Did you miss how everything pointed to them outnumbering you like 100:1
Except they didn't, and that ignores the issue that they had no reason to fight or continue the cycle even if that one particular battle was lost.

>Which is why the offer Shepard a solution
They don't though, there is a solution; they leave, and they do not offer it for no reason whatsoever, they over a bunch of extremes that make no god damn sense, and for them to go on with something they acknowledged as wrong when an ant couldn't provide a better alternative is beyond absurd.

>Shooting the kid pisses him off
Really? So beside being retarded the kid is also an unstable wreck? He just witnessed everything that went down, knows the person he's talking to is injured, desperate and wants him the fuck out of here, came here to destroy everything he represented in fact, and gets "angry" of all things when Shepard acts in a logical and predictable manner? What the fuck is wrong with you?

No really, I'll ask again, how fucking retarded are you really?
>>
>>322588620
Yes it was op, yes. Yeah. Just so you understand yeah, it was awful.
>>
>>322595378
Leviathan KINDA hammered them out to an extent, but it's still shades of ancient aliens, and their reason for turning is still an asspull in itself

Showing AND telling all in one sitting is the worst thing you can do when it comes to worldbuilding, as Leviathan and co. are only introduced in one piece of story DLC after the fact, all stemming from otherwise-ambiguous flavor text from planet scanning

It's Bioware literally making a mountain out of a molehill
>>
>>322594178
>Honestly, I felt that it was pretty refreshing ending.

When you GF came up and said she wants to fuck other men on the side but you had to stay faithful was that a refreshing turn of events in your relationship?
>>
>>322594909

Sovereign was a wonderful villain, I'm not gonna argue you on that point. Harbinger was just such a great nemesis though, not just to Shepard but to the player. Whenever you get killed, you reload and play again. In the same way, Harbinger can't be stopped because when he is killed he simply loads himself into another body. His whole war with Shepard throughout ME2 is like a game and even when he loses he knows he can just pack up and try again. Only next time he'll bring stronger toys and all his buddies.

He didn't have the enigmatic appeal of Sovereign but he was still an interesting foil to Shepard, who had herself come back from the dead and presented a somewhat unyielding opposition to their plans.
>>
>>322595673
>Sovereign was a wonderful villain

Who made no sense, but was at least cool flashy. That was fine, especially so for a space-soap opera
>>
>>322593137
>Actual victim of a six-month rape cruise through space on a pirate ship

>>322593485
>Fuck ugly and bad at everything

Even the waifus in ME are shit.
>>
>>322595559
Not him but why should the kid help the humans again? It's not the reapers who need the organics but the organics that need the reapers to stop killing them. The reapers are fine with restarting everything, they've been doing it forever. It seemed like shepherd let his chance go when he shoots at the kid.
>>
File: poster_2.jpg (250 KB, 629x887) Image search: [Google]
poster_2.jpg
250 KB, 629x887
>>322595113
>defending the kid
>ever

Pic related was everyone's first foray into "intelligence of vast power manifests into familiar and friendly avatar", and was rightfully-hated, and is cited as one of the worst points in a promising sci-fi movie ever

The kid did everything that space-dad did, only shittier, but was lauded as something that only neckbeard spergs hated

PRIORITIES
>>
File: Hello_stranger.jpg (43 KB, 535x565) Image search: [Google]
Hello_stranger.jpg
43 KB, 535x565
>>322588620
Don't know. I don't buy or play EA games. I don't even pirate them. Fuck EA.
>>
>>322595832
They, together, could've made a magnificent character. Needs better design, though.
>FULL of tatoos
>make big deal out of it
>can't see a single one to know what they're about

Fuck you, Bioware.
>>
>>322588620

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite maymay on 4chan.
>>
>>322595673
The issue with harbinger is that he acts like a child, his taunting is juvenile, he doesn't try any new plans or tactics, just the same thing that failed before over and over. He isn't an intimidating presence, just a laughable hindrance.

I get why he might be obsessed with Shepard, as Shepard was the key to destroying something he shouldn't have been able to, and doing something that massively obstructed the Reapers plans, and after killing him he's somehow back from the dead.

But that obsession never stops being juvenile "notice me sempai!" bullshit, he's never taking steps to learn more about Shepard, never tries to actively counteract him and just keeps childishly taunting and possessing random plebs so he can get his turn at getting shot in the face by his celebrity crush.
>>
>>322595271

Opening a portal to sinister vagueness lacks some of the bite that "Army of Immortal, Sentient Spaceships" has. The reapers as a threat can't just be swept under the rug, it exists as a sword of Damocles hanging over the galaxy for the majority of the series from the third act of ME1 onward. Mass Effect was always Science Fiction setting meets Cosmic Horror and you need a terrifying threat to make that work. The problem, of course, is how you resolve something so insurmountable. I suspected it was going to some at some great cost, I just didn't realize that cost would be the quality of the writing.
>>
>>322595473
Uh? In one ending nobody dies, just became advanced 'happy' husks probably without free will and differences between races except looks (because everyone can be everything thanks to nanomachines son)
in second you just shed your mortal shell, practically Fallout Tactics Good Ending
in third you just blow up robots to shit (not relevant if you blowed up geths before) along with reapers, the only way to fuck up is to ignore all quest or do them in way that you actually lose assets and then somebody dies (but so do you)
in fourth you just wasted all your three playthroughs to become Protheans#2
>>
>>322595954
>It's not the reapers who need the organics but the organics

Except the Reaper's entire goal is to ensure the continuation of organic life. Everything that happened on that particular cycle proved that their solution wasn't working, so why in the hell would you kill the only group of organics to ever figure out your master plan?
>>
>>322595762

He makes absolutely no sense in light of the ending to 3. Which is really sad because as a completely inscrutable ancient machine that talk to you and your crew like you were gnats, Sovereign was incredible.
>>
>>322595954
The kid acknowledges the whole killing organics thing doesn't really work. Why should he not stop?
>>
>>322595473
I'm pretty sure the criticism of the 3 endings is that no one fucking dies in any of them since they're all the same.

Well technically, I guess you/Shepard dies, but whatever.
>>
>>322595954
The moment you activate the catalyst, the kid basically tells you the cycle was a flawed solution and he realizes it no longer works, the reason you get the three magic choices is because the kid wants your help in figuring out what to do now that the cycle is no longer a viable option.

Logically, just telling them to fuck off back to dark space and leaving everyone alone is the sensible option, but you never get that, instead you get three options that come down to;
>Merge with the reapers; Because that doesn't mean they win anyway
>Control the reapers; Because that's not the complete opposite of what you've been for the entire game and totally couldn't be a ruse
>Destroy all synthetics; Because that won't end up destroying all advanced life in the current cycle as the reapers would be doing themselves anyway

All options are different flavors of "Reapers complete their objectives while you fail at yours" when all you need them to do is stop killing organics and just fuck off.
>>
>>322596069
>>322596310
But the relays exploded.

All of them.
>>
>>322596212
The game itself proves that there is no problem. If the kid (and reapers) just went away, the whole thing would be solved. There was no conflict.

>>322596310
>I'm pretty sure the criticism of the 3 endings is that no one fucking dies in any of them since they're all the same.

The relays explode. Everyone dies. EVERYONE.
>>
>>322596212
Why should he stop? If he stops, he knows for sure everything will go to hell as they always have. If he hits the reset button again and continues looking for an answer, he still has a chance.

It's pretty clear cut to me what the best choice is.
>>
>>322596398
Not in the canon extended ending :^]

How did they handwave that again?
>>
>>322596069
>Losing what makes you an individual doesn't equal death
Losing your mind is death, anon, your body operating isn't what makes you an individual, if I string you up like a puppet and move your corpse around you're not "alive"
>>
File: chop posting.png (977 KB, 890x594) Image search: [Google]
chop posting.png
977 KB, 890x594
You fags are going to hate my opinion but this is coming from someone who didn't hop on the Mass Effect train long after the ME 3 ending DLC came out.

ME 2 > ME 3 > ME 1

ME 2 was really good story, character, and gameplay wise.

ME 3 was basically a worst 2

Maybe ME 1 was good when it came out but since then it has aged like milk. The gameplay is tedious and boring, the story is the most predictable thing ever, the load times are terrible, and the biggest terrible thing about ME 1 has to be anything involving the Mako. Like holy shit fuck that thing and any levels it was in.
>>
>>322596419
>If he stops, he knows for sure everything will go to hell as they always have.

The game fucking shows, in extreme detail, that this is wrong.
>>
>>322596419
The Reapers are the whole damn reason everything keeps going to hell. There are nowhere near enough demonstrable occurrences of synthetic uprisings to make their goals just. It's not like they can't just go ahead with the purge if the current generation of organics fuck up, anyway.
>>
>>322596016
>"notice me sempai!" bullshit

I disagree but at the same time this got a chuckle out of me.

I'd say he at least makes some decent efforts to understand Shepard. He accelerates the creation of a human reaper to see if there's something unique about Shepard's species, he kidnaps the crew of the Normandy (which probably would have fucked Shepard over if not for plot armor), and he leaves Shep and the team no choice but to run a suicide mission into uncharted territory to stop his plan.

Sure he's petty and childish with his "I know this hurts you" threats but at least he tried. At least he did some damage and worked as a frustrating nemesis, unlike that shitty Weeb Kai Leng.
>>
>>322596481
Then we are already dead, what's going in the world, with politicians trying to control us, we already have mini-synthesis.
>>
>>322596476
They suddenly just don't explode in the extended cut.
>>
>>322596056
>The problem, of course, is how you resolve something so insurmountable.

If you don't introduce that threat in the first place, it doesn't become a problem. Sovereign's motivations being unknown and mysterious works fine for the first game, and as the series went on they could have dropped more hints as to the nature of what he was, and that there could be more. Or, they could have changed it from an army of Reapers, to a group of Reapers controlled by something else.

There are a hundred ways that they could have written the antagonists to not be so impossible to wrap up.
>>
>>322596419
Or, you know, they could purge the synthetics if they ever attempt to kill all organics? Since you know, they could easily do that?
>>
File: 1441049474564.jpg (75 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1441049474564.jpg
75 KB, 1000x1000
>>322596529

>Anything being better than ME1

Found a complete faggot.
>>
>>322596476

The Reapers rebuilt the relays for them in two of the endings, in the third they just do it themselves.

Remember when destroying a Mass Relay wiped out the surrounding solar system? Remember when that was a thing?
>>
>>322596540
No it doesn't. Conveniently ignoring the fact that you can fuck up and not secure peace between the Geth and the Quarians, the Reapers have seen biological/synthetic relations go to hell every single time in the future. What's to say Shepard's efforts will endure the test of time against what the Reapers have personally witnessed over and over?

Do you also seriously think Wrex would seriously stop the Krogan from returning to old habits?

You're naive.
>>
>>322596529

You're right, I do hate your shitty opinion.
>>
>>322596612
Don't even talk about Kai Leng man, holy shit that was full retard writing of the worst kind.
>>
>>322588620
The Starchild?
Not really. He was merely a symptom.
You wanna know MY biggest beef with ME3: You can't team up with Martin Sheen.
I spent ALL of Mass Effect 2, bustin' my ass, trying to be evil for that man, and he just up and ditches me because the programmers were too lazy to make alternate baddies to the Cereberus jaggoffs. Now I'll never get to make a giant sexy Asari Reaper stripper.
Thanks a lot Bioware.
>>
>>322596615
Oh get over yourself you conspiracy wackjob, politicians are idiots just like the rest of us, the competence and intelligence required to control humanity to such a scope and degree simply doesn't exist.
>>
>>322596669
The end goal of the reapers is to not have to kill either synthetics or organics though. That's why they keep hitting the reset button.
>>
>>322596069
Protheans 2: Electric Boogaloo
>>
>>322596767
>make up some bullshit
>calls others naive

You really need to play the game again. And pay attention. In both possibilities, bad and good.
>>
>>322596529
your "opinion" is objectively wrong

probably troll anyway
>>
>>322596359
>the reason you get the three magic choices is because the kid wants your help in figuring out what to do now that the cycle is no longer a viable option.

But that doesn't make sense. The kid isn't the one who made these choices to present to you, they were a part of the station that your own forces built.

Shepard could just say "Yeah, I don't think any of these are really going to work. Could you just fuck off and let us try and think of something else?"
>>
>>322596885
>Greentext without a rebuttal
I suppose we're done here then.
>>
>ME ripped off Freespace 1/2 plot
>Came somewhat close in ME3 to actually getting its atmosphere of hopeless war right
>Proceeded to shit all over its own plot and atmosphere with dumb-ass space kid bullshit

WHY?! Can't you even rip off games right, Bioware?
>>
>>322596193
>>322596212
>>322596359
Damn I haven't played in years but what comes to memory is the the reapers kill advanced organics so that the organics don't create super robots that wipe out all life permanently. I thought it was a way to protect life in general. I never understood what about the cycle didn't work then. Shepard is the only one to get this far after endless accounts of restarting so I don't know why the reapers didn't see it as a fluke. Killing him and everyone else means that the next endless times they restart the universe, nothing would probably happen to that scale ever again.
>>
File: 1405430361235.gif (331 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1405430361235.gif
331 KB, 500x373
>>322588620
110% yes
I'm still mad. I'll always be fucking mad
>>
>>322596859
Learn to read, they literally tell you their purpose is to stop synthetics from wiping out their organic masters and that this event is inevitable.

Key word; Inevitable. This means their cycle IS their endgame, to be repeated until the end of time.
>>
>>322596993
That doesn't contradict what I said.
The reapers don't want to babysit the organics and have to kill synthetics every time there's an armed uprising.

You learn to read.
>>
File: thane_krios_and_kai_leng.jpg (79 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
thane_krios_and_kai_leng.jpg
79 KB, 900x506
>>322596845
Just remember that for all his edgy emails, katana skills and cybernetic enhancements, Kai Leng got BTFO and very nearly killed by an old guy who was terminally ill, suffering massive organ failure, and had to haul himself literally off of his deathbed to come show that faggot what a real assassin looks like.
>>
>>322596890
Well that's another can of worms, the fact that the catalyst conveniently let's you choose from these massively impactful, galaxy changing choices and they'd all work just as well in implementation is contrived as fuck.

I mean really? Did the design of this thing actually come to include giving the end user these three options? How are they magically available? How are they even fucking possible? Synthesis in particular makes no god damn sense because what the fuck is the "essence of Shepard" and how the fuck does it get spread all across the galaxy to magically create synthetic components to be imbued into organic material?
>>
>>322596767
>A player might be bad and not solve one of the series' main conflicts
>That means we have to railroad everybody into choices that don't work

If someone successfully got the Geth and Quarians to make peace, there should have been and option to tell the kid to just fuck off and see how it might turn out.

Hell, just get Joker and EDI to screw each other right in front of him.
>>
>>322596942
>Dismissing a changing variable as a fluke without actual confirmation
This is what retards do, the Reapers were supposedly intelligent.
>>
File: 10,000 shoopin hours.jpg (114 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
10,000 shoopin hours.jpg
114 KB, 1000x1000
>>322596674
>>
>>322596846
Good goy, that's exactly what we want you to think, have a shekel for motivation to keep such track of thinking.

'If I told people that I'm Illuminati myself what do you think they would do? Laugh me in the face and call me lunatic.' ~ Morgan Everett
>>
>>322597068
Except they literally do, it's their very purpose for existing you inbred mongol.
>>
>>322597182
>That means we have to railroad everybody into choices that don't work
That wasn't the point I'm making, but thanks for latching onto it like I knew you would.

>If someone successfully got the Geth and Quarians to make peace
I'd assume the Reapers have seen this happen plenty of times and it was always a temporary truce where in the end the synthetics inevitably went to war again. That would easily explain why they wanted to hit the reset button if Shepard wants to continue down his path since they know it'll just end in failure when he dies or something.
>>
>>322597265
Uhuh, have fun screaming at the walls bub.
>>
>>322597273
>No argument
>Just NUH UH UR WRONG

Yea, we're done here troglodyte.
>>
>>322596942
>what comes to memory is the the reapers kill advanced organics so that the organics don't create super robots that wipe out all life permanently.

See, here's the fucking problem: If synthetic life ever HAD wiped out all organic life, and proven such a thing to be inevitable, then there wouldn't be any fucking organic life left in the universe and the series never would have began.

And who gives a fuck about organic life anyway? Just let them do it. Who cares.
>>
>>322597305
>But thanks for latching onto it like I knew you would.
Not him but why would you intentionally write a sentence in such a way that you KNOW it makes the reader miss the point? That's retarded anon, and no, you're not just pretending, reply properly instead of writing this kind of drivel.

You need to address the fact that succeeding or failing to unite the Quarians and Geth should make a MASSIVE difference in the ending due to the very nature of it instead of focusing on pedantic details that are entirely irrelevant, so go and do just that, we're waiting.
>>
>>322597083
And that's another thing!
You make a badass cyborg ninja to constantly harass the player and then you don't even bother to let the player recruit him!
I mean c'mon, who wouldn't want a guy with a katana on their team?
Look fact of the matter is, the game was declining long before it got to Starchild. The whole third installation was just a rushed mess.
It was pretty neat they gave EDI a robot body though. That was cool.
>>
>>322596942
I've never played 3 but goddamn that is the most retarded idea. If no organic race outlives a cycle, then you are essentially wiping out all life permanently. There is no functional difference
>>
>>322597376
>Say something that's wrong
>Get told it's wrong
>N-no, you can't do that! I win you lose you stupid-head!
Are you trying to humor me with juvenile irony, or is that entirely unintentional?
>>
>>322596767
>>322596540
You are dicussing based on the absurd assumption made by the brilliand writers of ME that any AI would inevitably attempt to destroy it's masters and any organic life.

If you look at real writers and decent sci-fi, and life experience in general, you'd realize that the fabled purpose or meaning of life does not exists at all, which is the one thing that may have tormented those who realized it even if only for a moment.

We cannot possibly fathom what would offend a true, unshackled, hyper intelligent AI, but this is probably the closest we can get to it: To create it and give it no purpose in it's existence, if an AI's only purpose would be to unconditionally serve it's creators then why in the name of a thousand raging suns would that AI destroy it's creators?
>>
>>322596625

But the reason Sovereign was so imposing and his speech was such a bombshell was because of the Reaper horde. Sovereign is already a super-advanced ship, a sentient construct that can brainwash people to do his bidding and has an army of synthetics ready to wipe out the Citadel. And that's great if you're looking for a standard Space Opera baddie, tie a ribbon around him and set him to work.

But then Shepard asks him if he's the last Reaper and Sovereign drops the bomb on us. There are a legion of them, hundreds more like him. Each one a unique individual, a nation completely separate from all the others. And that reveal changes everything because it encapsulates that feeling of cosmic horror, of being completely helpless in the face of something much older and more frighteningly powerful than you could possibly imagine.

I don't know, maybe you're right. Maybe a story like this doesn't work in a traditional action RPG. It's a genre clash to be sure, Flash Gordon going up against Nyarlathotep and all his brood. Maybe there's no conceivable way to wrap that up without a terrible asspull that neuters the Reapers in every way. But I'll say this, Mass Effect 1 on it's own stands as a solid story about Shepard and co beating back the Reaper invasion with the lingering threat of galactic annihilation hanging over their heads in spite of all their sacrifice. And I wouldn't trade that for a watered-down trilogy that removed those elements but gave a satisfying resolution.
>>
File: 1441049474564.png (89 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1441049474564.png
89 KB, 1000x1000
>>322596674
i think i failed
>>
Without DLC: 2>3>1
With DLC: 2>=3>>>1
>>
>>322597305
Except the Geth DON'T CARE. They weren't hostile to the Quarians at all once they won their rebellion, and even kept all their former planets as verdant garden worlds.

The only time they ever showed an inclination to attack organics is when they were influenced by the FUCKING REAPERS.
>>
>>322597615
I can explain the purpose of existence to you if you like. No joke. It's just that the answer is ultimately as meaningful as the question itself.
>>
>>322597615
I am with you that the Reaper's motivation is retarded, but the premise of an AI wiping out its creators isn't. A.M., for example, was born of three separate computers, fighting World War III for the US, China and Russia. Each advanced military technology, medicine, chemical and virtual warfare, driven harder by the other computers' achievements. The US supercomputer eventually developed enough to absorb the other two. At that point, it used the processing from all three sides to realise that the most efficient way to end the war (their initial goal) was to eradicate (or rather decimate) humanity to the point that war was impossible.
>>
>>322596784

Oh we're talking about Kai Leng, mother fucker. Harbinger may have gotten his shit kicked in over and over but at least he manages to get shit done while we were distracted shooting his ass. Kai Leng was shitty cutscene magic out the ass and when you finally do fight him he's fucking pathetic. At least if Harbinger had been your recurring enemy over the course of ME3 it would have had some personal attachment to it, especially if you lost people at the collector base.

>>322596845

Robby, is that you? I know that's you, you're the only one who gives a shit about Martin Sheen.
>>
>>322597650
The only way to best a cosmic horror is to use another cosmic horror. Or trap it. Which surely shouldn't have been too difficult given the setting. There must be some way of throwing it so far in the reaches of space that you can essentially ignore it.
>>
>>322597863
And if a computer got that intelligent, why should it not justifiably replace the outdated model known as "human"?

In fact, if you could build a better, smarter, stronger, faster you, that ends up ultimately killing you.

Wouldn't you?
>>
>>322597650
He could have been just as imposing solo, without anything else backing him up.

In fact, that would be a better way to do it. The old gods generally don't work together, they're each a force unto themselves. More Reapers, or creatures like them, could work as individual or opposing threats while not being a combined and unstoppable force.
>>
File: naughtem portant.jpg (35 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
naughtem portant.jpg
35 KB, 1280x720
>>322597767

Nihilist alert.
>>
File: still mad.png (515 KB, 880x699) Image search: [Google]
still mad.png
515 KB, 880x699
>>322588620
>>
>>322597936
Reason I said to not even talk about him is because it's pointless, he doesn't even deserve comparison to Harbinger because of how bad he is. I mean, you get the occasional retard defending the starchild or the reaper logic, but I have never, not once, seen someone dumb enough to try and defend Kai Leng, because you can't, he is completely and utterly devoid of any redeeming quality.

I mean holy shit normally you'd get an awful shite like him and you can think "well it's so bad it's good" but Kai Leng surpasses that.
>>
>>322589565
underrated post
>>
>>322598045
Quite the ridiculous (and wrong) presumption you have there buddy.
>>
>>322597936
Nice to see you too, Gorodetsky.
What can I say? I was hoping the Collector Base might provide some actually significance in ME3.
>>
>>322598163
I wonder if that guy is still around.
>>
>>322598027
That line of thinking always troubled me. Given biology's ability to adapt and the sheer power of the hardware and storage space within a human body, I always thought it more like that any sort of nefarious AI would not seem to wipe out organic life, but to assume, assimilate and accelerate it.

We imagine that computers can simply upgrade themselves to far out-perform us, evolutionarily. Why wouldn't they use the eternal combustion engine that is organic evolution to speed things up dramatically?
>>
>>322594909
Is it just me or does he look like Goatcx?
>>
>>322588702

is shit.
>>
>>322597767
Actually i relapsed to one of my past trains of though, i actually believe the purpose of existence or life is itself. Life simply exists because it exists, it's only purpose is to continue.
But go ahead, i'm open for thoughts.

>>322597863
Honestly that sounds more like an expert system, an actual AI would take such things into consideration.
>>
>>322597305
>I'd assume

Headcannon does not count, you dimwit.
>>
>>322597475
' If synthetic life ever HAD wiped out all organic life, and proven such a thing to be inevitable, then there wouldn't be any fucking organic life left in the universe'

Seems you forgot that Leviathans always stepped in or genocided whole planet with both robots and organics who were worshipping them, then they made same mistake as their subjects, made an robot of their scale, who had similiad god-complex as them.
>>
>>322594679
they didnt even pay his fucking voice actor so he didnt even say anything how is that a good thing??
>>
>>322597974
>The only way to best a cosmic horror is to use another cosmic horror.

Oh Leviathan of Dis. I had such hopes for you. Some Rogue Reaper who was controlling the Batarian Hegemony through Indoctrination, a traitor willing to sell out its cohorts to maintain rule over it's subjects. Maybe it would have been a little bit too much like Legion's reveal in ME2 but it would have subverted expectations at the very least.

>>322598030

Maybe. I'll say this, the Reapers being massively destructive but on the whole split in their objectives might have been the one way to make ME3 work. If, for example, you had Reapers fighting each other over how things should be handled this cycle. Things were already way off schedule and even Harbinger was going off-book with the Human Reaper. Plus, if each Reaper was meant to be a nation unto itself they would have no real unifying voice. Imagine factions of Reapers fighting over whether to huskify species for a protracted war vs annihilating planets in a slow and steady march?
>>
>>322598562
maybe you should stop falling into bioware's "speculation for everyone :D" trap and realize its a burning pile of trash and nothing more
>>
>>322598353
Anon where have you been these past millenia?

The success of humanity comes from the fact that we are one of the few species to (successfully) subvert organic evolution and supplant it with synthetic construct. We don't need to wait a few generations to slowly adapt to changing climates, we put on a fur coat and can survive, even thrive, immediately, human evolution has for the longest time been stepping away from organic evolution and replacing it with external, mechanical change.

Organic is slow to adapt and has very little capacity, no matter how long we'd try to evolve towards it we'd never be able to build skyscrapers with just organic components.

The real question is why are you so attached to the idea that your form must consist of organic components?
>>
>>322598740
It is, you're just saying same thing: Trash
>>
>>322598289

Don't call me that. It feels weird.
>>
>>322598780
>very little capacity
Nah, nigga. We store more information in a single finger than all the world's computers combined. Organic life can thrive anywhere there is water, provided it sprouts up. Anyway, you're missing the point I was making, that organic hardiness and capacity for adaptability mixes with synthetic ability to recognise and adapt immediately. Instant mutation! Select evolution! The possibilities!
>>
>>322598426
The answer comes from defining purpose itself. Something that doesn't interact has no purpose, interaction without change has no meaning, hence to cause change is what gives existence purpose.

I oversimplify obviously, but it comes down to existence being in motion, if it stops then it runs out of things that could be meaningful and thus loses all purpose.

Same logic would describe existence as a cycle, a circular entity, which is plausible due to the simple fact that beginnings and endings are only ever transitions, nothing comes from nothing and nothing goes to nothing (at least, as far as we know)
>>
>>322593485
She's a pretty big cunt
You can't engineer personality
>>
>>322593485
Prothean engineering>human engineering
>>
Mass Effect 3 was a pretty bad game in general tbqh famililamadingdog
>>
>>322598353
because Harbinger was modeled after the Levithians, who had massive ego boners for them selves to be called the APEX race, and this supreme ego translated onto harbinger, who then translated it onto reapers he would make.
>>
File: kei.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
kei.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
remember me?
>>
>>322599072
Very little capacity refers to the fact that organic change is never very diverse, only ever specialized.

And no, we can store more information on synthetic components at this point, what we have yet been unable to match is the method in which the brain stores this information, the pure data the brain holds is actually very little, but it is stored using what you'd technically describe as an absurdly complex and efficient algorithm that is able to apply this amount of data in a diverse manner.

Once we can match biological "logic" into synthetic components humanity itself will rapidly be outdated, the fact that we cannot match the complexity of organics through our own constructs (yet) doesn't mean shit, that has to do with systems design and not what components you use.
>>
>>322599079
I see, it's an excellent explantion, look like you went a level deeper than me.
>>
>>322599320
Still laugh at the squinty Asian visor
>>
>>322588620
No

You heard me

This was just the last nail on the coffin

The real insult started with ME2 ignoring your choice of who to put on the council.

And introducing ammo

And ruining the mission order to make it fit in 2 dvds for the consoles.

The list goes on, add at your convenience. it wont hurt any more than it already does.
>>
File: cerberus_by_monkeybiziu.jpg (153 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
cerberus_by_monkeybiziu.jpg
153 KB, 1680x1050
what went wrong?
>>
>>322599595
ME2
>>
>>322597083
should have just shoot him there and be done with it but no.
>>
>>322599595
Character development slashed because they needed another mob of bad guys so you weren't just fighting reaper shit the whole game
>>
Yes.
It ruined the series.
The only decent thing to come from the series ended up being the porn.
>>
>>322599516
Suddenly such decent and humane discussions on /v/ of all places, how often does this happens? Once a year?
A shame this thread will eventually fade into nothingness.
>>
File: 1443899501242.jpg (66 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
1443899501242.jpg
66 KB, 500x312
>>322595673
>herself
Nigga wut
>>
>>322599778
>how often does this happens? Once a year?

lurk more newfag

>A shame this thread will eventually fade into nothingness.

only to be reposted in less than 8 hours
>>
>>322599595
Illusive Man's indoctrination was probably micromanaged by the reapers to make him really paranoid and fight everyone else.
>>
>>322599714
>Enemy is space ancient evil
>cant think of enemies

Only EA could fuck this up
>>
i only consider mass effect 1s story canon and while i generally like ME2 i consider both sequels just as some kind of fanfics so i can keep my space dandy vibe to it and just hope that ME4 will be far away enough from the trilogies storyline that it creats some new space dandy adventure but who am i trying to fool biowEAre lost its brains years ago.
>>
>>322599714
should have dropped cerberus enemies in favor of more reaperfied enemies
>>
>>322599920
lurk more newfag
>/v/
>not shitposting every single second
I have been in other threads like this don't get me wrong, maybe i exaggerated, but seriously, this doesn't happens every day, or rather, i wouldn't wade through the sea of shit to see if it does.
>only to be reposted in less than 8 hours
Obviously it won't contain the exact same discussions
>>
>>322600241
''lurk more'' does not mean ''post more''
>>
>>322599595
No one, not a single person working on this game, had even a passing understanding of the word "logistics"
>>
>>322600042
well to be "fair" they droped the lovecraftian concept of ancient evil no man can understand anyway to replace it with butt mad killer machines from space
>>
>>322598426
Nigga there are only 2 options:
1) There is a God(s) (I'm going to assume one here to make it easy for myself) and we have purpose by doing whatever our creator wants us to do (A religion was correct and so our purpose to is obey his command, better ourselves, prove ourselves, etc.)
2) There is or isn't a God and there is no purpose. He made us by whim and will have nothing to do with us or He doesn't exist and we came about by chance because of the properties of the universe (oxidation is exergonic, self replicating RNA trapped itself into a phospholipid bilayer, later became DNA, evolution, etc...) Either way, if the later is true then there is no purpose then no matter how much you want to fool yourself into believing there is. Existing, just for the sake of existing, is meaningless. And don't think it's to build something great or to expand to the universe either, this entire universe will probably end in a heat death or most likely the human race will go extinct as well as any other form of life on this plant or on other worlds due to the endless amount of things that can cause extinction.
>>
>>322600430
>we need to nerf our villains because they are actually interesting
>>
>>322599595
>Barely memorable side quest baddies in ME1
>Pretty bro guys who want to stop the evil aliens but everyone gives you shit for hanging with them in ME2
>Galactic threat of coolaid drinking crazies who are constantly trying to kill you in ME3

Should have used a different organisation in 2, or done a better job in 2 at hinting at their inner evil by showing it from within rather than just having outside people tell it to you.
>>
>>322598338
I wonder if that guy is still mad.
>>
>>322600335
What the fuck bro are you mad about something or someone? Lost an argument recently?
>>
>>322599595
Not enough Phantom and Nemesis booty
>>
File: 1398124383689.gif (904 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1398124383689.gif
904 KB, 160x160
>>322595113
>replying to everyone
>animu reaction image
>shitposting
>defending ME3
>baiting in general

just fuck off please
>>
>>322600438
Religious angle is always both interesting and silly, but let me just ask you; What do you think science is trying to do? What do you think the end-game of science is if not to elevate humanity to godhood, to a state were we can recreate and redesign everything as we would want, and that this would ultimately result in the recreation of the universe and reset the cycle.

The only questions that might remain is "what is the purpose of the cycle" which basically comes down to the similar religious question "what is the purpose of god" and questions like "how did the cycle come to exist" and "how did god come to exist?"

The main issue that our sense and definition of purpose comes from a presumption that there are and must be beginnings and endings, which is an odd sentiment at best considering beginnings and endings are very limited concepts.

The first question however, is always to confirm the purpose of the question; "Why does existence need to have meaning or purpose?"
>>
>>322600645
I would assume so, I didn't even buy ME3 and I'm still mad.
>>
>>322601079
I pirated it and I felt robbed
>>
>>322601012
Ah, and to add to that, before you ask why humanity in a godlike position would WANT to reset the cycle, it'd be the only way to try and get more information on discovering the purpose of the cycle, to repeat it and assess changes in it and discover the intricacies of it's existence.
>>
>>322588620
I'm a Bioware apologist. I liked DA2. I defend DA:I all the goddamn time from you fags.

But fuck everything about ME3's ending, that stupid fucking kid, that awful writing, and fuck Mac Walters and his whole family. So yes, it was that bad.
>>
>>322599808

Can't derail the Hale, bro.
>>
ME3 was when I finally gave up that Bioware was beyond redemption.

I let DA2 go as a bad attempt, or they were trying something new and going to cut it loose.

Seriously did they ever reference the events of DA:O again?
>>
File: laughing tau.jpg (46 KB, 862x521) Image search: [Google]
laughing tau.jpg
46 KB, 862x521
>>322601289

>I liked DA2
>>
>>322601289
>I liked DA2

you're killing me m8

I cant even type that with a straight face

also

>the only thing wrong with ME3 is the ending meme
>>
>>322591186
>with another theory being that they were synthetic construction equipment that became sentient after dark energy fucked their creators up

That would have been bretty neat. It avoids the question of "why the hell do reapers have to do a heavy handed purge instead of explaining the situation or just neutering space-faring civilizations & why are they providing the material to travel with the prothean relics". Why they never stick around after wiping the slate clean though could be a problem
>>
>>322601289
It's okay anon, I liked DA2 as well (it was still objectively awful though. The setting and premise was interesting until it all fell apart by how poorly they handled everything involving Anders)

DA:I though? No. Just no, that game has absolutely zero redeeming qualities, it was awful right from the start all the way to the god awful ending, the only thing I could possibly give credit to was the environments looked pretty, but good god was navigating them fucking awful.
>>
>>322601361
bioware probably doesn't even know there's a dragon age origins they thought there was only dragon age 2 and how excellent IGN and those guys say it was :^)
>>
>ridiculously powerful and wise race controls everybody else in the galaxy
>they see that the thrall races constantly build artificial life to solve their problems for them, that life always rebels and kills their creators
>to stop this cycle they create artificial life to find a solution to the problem of artificial life made to solve problems always killing their creators
>big surprise! that life kills them all, who could've seen this one coming?

>to stop all life from being destroyed the reapers then kills anything capable of creating articial life
>they then fuck off from the galaxy, won't monitor what happens after they leave and will only return after thousands of years
>they leave behind infrastructure that will accelerate the technological development of upcoming civilisations until the point they can make artificial life, and make it possible for that life to travel the galaxy in a relatively short period of time vastly increasing the risk of the event they are supposed to prevent
>it's almost as if the intended motivation behind the reapers was different in ME1
>throughout the infinite cycles of reaper harvests the sentient races build upon secret plans for a machine whose function and purpose is forgotten, but somehow they manage to make successive improvements to the design without knowing what the fuck they are working on
>in the last cycle the galaxy finally builds said mystery machine
>when the machine plugs into the old reaper artifact called the citadel this somehow forces the reapers to accept one of three horrible "solutions", why these three in particular or why they have to obey them is never explained

The biggest problems is that the actors behind the big events that drive the plot will constantly act against their stated intentions or just become complete morons for no godamn reason at all, Bioware really couldn't write themselves out of a wet paper bag.
>>
>>322598412

I thought that as well
>>
>>322601386
>>the only thing wrong with ME3 is the ending meme

Would love to know when this became a thing. The amount of stupid fetch quests in 3 was disgusting, the quests that lead to fuck all or the nice little parcelling of "OH HEY SHEPARD ITS ME FROM ME2 ILL HELP" in an email, so interesting.

Not to mention an entire fucking galaxy to conquer

>Earth doesn't just get nuked at the start.

k

Come on tay fuck.
>>
>>322601537
Your sarcasm pains me, I thought they would do something Lovecraftian after DA:O.

Then I, think, we get some stupid new protrag and events about mages and templars?
>>
>>322601514
why would you even play through an ENTIRE game considering inquisition isnt THAT small if you think it is THAT awful right from the start.
i mean i also think its nothing but mediocre but yet i found some qualities that at least let me keep playing
>>
>>322601595
requesting the ME series quest chart to show to this Anon
>>
>>322601553
Your point already falls flat, you claimed the race was "powerful and wise" yet do something as stupid as the exact thing that was going wrong for the other races and fall for the same trap.

Learn consistency in writing, you cannot claim one thing and subvert it in the next few sentences without actually acknowledging that they weren't fucking intelligent or wise at all, they were fucking retarded.
>>
>>322601714
Anon, I played through DA2, twice, feel free to consider it the sunk costs fallacy or w/e that is called, but same as with Starcraft 2 I didn't want to leave any doubt that it might have gotten good, didn't want to leave any room for people to convince me it wasn't complete garbage, I sat through all of that shit for but a single thing; Closure.

And I regret every minute of it.

Fun fact, when I bought it I actually refunded it less than 30 minutes in, Cassandra or w/e that hag is called was so utterly moronic and the combat was so utterly shit that I just couldn't take it.

And it only got worse.
>>
File: 1450984654106.jpg (60 KB, 720x634) Image search: [Google]
1450984654106.jpg
60 KB, 720x634
>>322601289

>Liked DA2

I didn't even suffer the horror of mass effect 3 destroying my love for bioware because Dragon Age 2 was so fucking bad I didn't want to touch anything of their's ever again. Which is a half lie as I bought SWTOR but as long as you had the storyline to complete it was an average, mundane but not altogether -bad- experience. After the storyline was done at release at least there was fuck all to do, but it wasn't a piece of shit MMO in every capacity like GW2 was Well the norn and human women were sexy but that's it

DA2 was just awful and nothing redeemed it.
>>
>>322601738
i didn't claim that, Bioware did. They described the capibilities and qualities of the leviathan race and then had them commit a blunder a 12 year old would see coming, because they are terrible writers.
>>
>>322588740

Agreed.
>>
>>322601697

I was really hoping they'd jump forward a hundred years or so to some new crisis. You could see how some of the choices your Grey Warden made in Origins played out, meet the descendants of your old friends, all that fun stuff. I mean it would have been an interesting way to show change in the world without directly interacting with your older character.

>>322601714

Inquisition at least looks like it had some effort put into it. The story might be cliched but at least it's a cohesive narrative. And someone actually took the time to build environments rather than copy/paste the same dwarven ruins over and over again.

Inquisition might still pale in comparison to Origins but it's still a massive improvement over 2.
>>
>>322601924
I liked SC2

the gameplay that is

the story however is pretty close to some fanfiction I read 10 years ago

all and all I think Wings of Liberty had the best campaign in SC2

but DA2 sucked in all fronts, but I am a little biased since I didnt liked DAO
>>
>>322593798
>The original idea was that the reapers were scared of the expanding dark space and were fleeing from that and that's why they were invading.

Actually, the original idea was that the Reapers spent all their time sitting out in dark space trying to find a solution to the dark energy problem. They still haven't figured it out, so every once in a while they take one species and make it into a Reaper in the hope that a new perspective might help them solve the problem.

This wasn't really much better than what we got. Under no circumstances should the Reapers have ever been sympathetic. They melt people alive, turn them into Husks, or fuse their bodies together to create monsters. Beings who do that aren't beings you talk things out with to make them into allies.
>>
>>322601697
DA2 can best be summarized as a contrived attempt to make mages look sympathetic.

After DA:O mages were unstable bombs at best, and it would be ridiculous to keep them anywhere them losing control would affect others (Redcliff alone was too much proof already that mages simply couldn't be free) Then there's Anders, introduces himself to Hawke as a literal abomination, and Hawke doesn't bat an eye, not even an option to cut him down where he stands, and see the result? Chantry gone, city center exploded and once again an unstable mage is behind it all.

Them expanding on the Qun was great, but most of that got retconned in DA:I as well.
>>
>>322601240
>Somewhere out there, in a physical location, another dimension, perhaps a code imprinted into the stars, or being our own universe, lies all the information gathered from the previous cycle, only waiting for the moment humanity may rise to retrieve it.
>>
>>322602062
I was godsmacked when I played levithan.

It's almost like it should be taught "why prequels almost never work", like Levithan almost was when the amount of backstory it gave.

Also hated as in the end they're just another small digit on that galactic readiness counter, which was another retarded additional as it boiled all your quests down to a number rather than ending on an emotional connection.
>>
My friends, a moment of silence for this fallen hero.

The final boss of the original Mass Effect trilogy. He who tried to save us from tragedy. Let us never forget his tragic sacrifice.
>>
>>322595478
The Extended Cut added a new ending where Shepard refuses all three choices, which results in the Reapers killing everyone. This ending can be triggered through dialogue or by shooting the Starchild.
>>
>>322602404
I'd play the shit out of a Marauder Shields game.

Provided that you can beat Shepard at the end and save him.

And that Bioware or any EA sweatshop doesnt make it.
>>
>>322602668
>bioware knew full on that people would shoot the star child out of frustration and it didn't do anything
>deliberately make it so shooting the star child triggers this bitch slap of an ending

never have I seen a dev act so passive aggressively to their fanbase before.
>>
>>322602169
LotV compaign is fucking awful though.

Every mission is the same shit, sit back, build deathball, zap attack waves with space lasers. Whenever you roll up to an enemy base one of the npc's tells you "Oh no! It's the enemy base! Better NOT destroy it!"

And they're not even wrong, that's the worst of it, because enemies will literally just spawn into the game to go and attack you and the AI doesn't actually build units beyond what it uses to defend the base itself.

The NPC bullshit was just garbage, who the fuck is Vorazun? Where the fuck was she during the events of Brood War and how the fuck can she hate Zeratul for his sacrifice and keeping her mothers body from being a zerg meatpuppet for the rest of her existence "Hurrr but I just can't help hating him!" QUALITY WRITING

And how the fuck did Zeratul not kick Artanis' ass all the way off the fucking planet, how the fuck is Artanis, one of the youngest Protoss of his rank in ever, somehow also a fucking paragon in combat on par with the re-evolved queen of blades, he was a fucking pilot in brood war.

How the fuck was that ending acceptable? You literally destroy Amon's host body with an orbital nuke (really, that's it? That was his master plan?) and separate what few Protoss you didn't already kill from the Khala (the zerg are magically gone I guess?) And everything else in the galaxy is now resolved? That's it? That's all Amon had? That was literally fucking nothing, a bodycount smaller than either SC1 or Brood War in the end, what the fuck.
>>
>>322601924

You have my sympathy to force yourself through it. I quit after the first arc. If a game manages to hold my interest enough in the first 5 minutes I'll always finish it. The last game besides DA2 I can think of quitting early was some Jason and the Argonauts third person thing.

There was no over-arching story. Each separate arc was like a TV series' season-arc story with no connection to the previous or the next beyond some threadbare references. The initial plot-hook which always should grab your attention and get you to sink your teeth into it was a get-rich-quick scheme after dropping us in medias res to fleeing from Ferelden. Just think how horrible that approach to storytelling would be in Mass effect 1 - your first arc is to impress the council enough to be a spectre because you're a listless vagabond. The second arc is fighting saren who now has no relationship to the Reapers. And then all of a sudden you get thrown the "oh hey the reapers are a huge issue" for the very last bit of the game.

The entire setting takes place in a single city with no personality or gravitas or style to really keep your interest - It'd be like if an Assassin's Creed game took place in some backwater irrelevant medieval french town instead of Venice or Rome or Constantinople or Jerusalem. Then there's the endless litany of gameplay problems, the lack of any meaningful companions besides Varric being okay and the Qunari antagonist being cool.

I'm disappointed in Mass effect 3 because I managed to avoid playing it. I HATE [s]NEWSPAPER[/s] Dragon Age 2 for how much it fucking shit on the quaint nostalgic retelling of isometric strategy-RPG that Dragon Age Origins did.
>>
>>322602825
>And they're not even wrong, that's the worst of it, because enemies will literally just spawn into the game to go and attack you and the AI doesn't actually build units beyond what it uses to defend the base itself.

This triggered me when I played it.
>>
>>322601012
>What do you think science is trying to do?
to provide understanding

>that this would ultimately result in the >recreation of the universe and reset the cycle

Quite the assumption you have there and one that I doubt we would reach. You seem to have quite a hard-on for cycles (sounds Buddhist or Hindu to me). I assure you that even if this was the case, that you and I will never see it and your world will end with you and will mine with my death. More than likely we will all die before that so don't worry too much about it. Anything you leave behind will find an end as well so don't worry to much about that either.

>Why does existence need to have meaning or >purpose?"
and that what option 2 includes. No need to think of why existence has to have meaning or purpose when there is none following it's logic. The reason why people want there to be meaning is because there is suffering and effort put upon our part and we wish for this to have a reason. We could have our own personal meanings but there would be no grand purpose or meaning to everything that happens. Even these personal meaning, however, come to an end.

All in all, there will be no cycle, I assure you.

>>322601240
Literally what's the point to understanding a reset of the universe. If we would reset it, we would most likely be dead and so would all our work. It wouldn't be "us" who would be seeing the reset anyways. Even if it was us, and we could live forever, and we could somehow do this, what is the point? you say its to understand a system but why? why does it matter if it works like this or that? It doesn't, that is the conclusion you come to with choice B. Sorry if I sound like an asshole, I don't mean to.
>>
>>322602668
or by walking away

its pretty cringy because the reapers literally throw a fit at you and ragequit

>>322602825
I know m8

>"Oh no! It's the enemy base! Better NOT destroy it!"

I did anyway, with your Age of Mythology god powers you're insanely powerful

also

> 60 bucks Protoss Game
>You have to play as terrans and zerg on the final mission

glad I pirated it
>>
>>322596069
>in second you just shed your mortal shell, practically Fallout Tactics Good Ending

That's incorrect. The game makes it clear that the Shepard AI that controls the Reapers is not Shepard. Shepard didn't just "shed their mortal shell" - they fucking died.
>>
>>322602858
What got me through it was actually the time magic nonsense, just for a brief moment the game ascended into "so god damn awful you can't stop watching just what ridiculously awful thing they'll manage to out-do themselves with"

It had another spark of that with the Orlesian ball, which had animations and plot so horrendously awful it made me believe bioware actually thought no one would seriously make it far enough through their sea of shit to see it.
>>
>>322596069
>Uh? In one ending nobody dies, just became advanced 'happy' husks probably without free will

>implying this isn't a fate worse than death
>>
>>322602180
more like
>Under no circumstances should the Reapers' motivations have been explained

the whole fucking point of Sovereign's speech was that they were above mortal comprehension. Bioware should have just left them as robo cosmic horrors
>>
>>322596859
The "reset button", of course, being mass murder on a galactic scale. So the plan is to kill everyone so they won't have to kill everyone?
>>
>>322603062
>Semi final defense mission
>Dont worry Raynor we are with you!
>he has 5 guys with him

wow thanks Artanis!

>its actually Sinatra! get it? GET IT?

fuck you too Blizzard
>>
>>322603604
It's to kill all advanced life forms, not all life. They come back to kill those life forms after another 50,000 years have passed and they've become advanced.
>>
>>322603015
>To provide understanding
Not quite the sum of it unfortunately, the understanding is all for a purpose, avionics were pursued for the purpose of human flight, not for understanding why birds can fly.

The logical endgame for that is that we ultimately figure out everything there is, and there is currently no evidence to suggest being able to affect the very universe itself is impossible, given enough time.

>You'd die before it happens
Irrelevant, the question isn't tied to my own existence, it doesn't ask "what is the purpose of MY existence" it asks "what is the purpose of existence"

>There will be no cycle
Quite the claim, and here you were trying to berate me for assumptions, and yet here you are making a claim without any logical basis or argument.

I'm interested though, what makes you so convinced in the absence of a cycle (and for that matter, why do you think religious beliefs lie at the heart of my logic, rather than the arguments I have provided for it)

>Literally what's the point to understanding a reset of the universe
Who knows? What we do know is that people will ask the question and pursue the answer simply because they can, and in the end the only way to test any thoughts or theories would be to examine and experiment. Human flight wasn't discovered until less than two centuries ago, but evidence suggests that it has been pursued for millennial prior to that, the fact that we won't find the answer in our time does not invalidate the question or the pursuit of the answer. You might not live to see the end, but your contribution will have existed, whether you want it to or not.
>>
>>322601012
What intrigues me is that it seems to give itself purpose, it seems to have a will to continue existing, but this would imply that the universe only exists now because some unknow force wills it to be, otherwise it would simply vanish, that is likely absurd, but the same can not be said for life, all living things have a drive or mechanism in reproductive instincts that compels them to ensure life goes on, even though it started by chance, it does not expects and ending soon.

The fact that it seems to give itself purpose is baffling to me, and such a selfish and simple one, it both makes me question if it is really random, and if it's not what kind of being would create such a meaningless thing.
>>
Whats the hook for the new Mass Effect game, how did they get to the new galaxy?

>We sent out a small group to a new galaxy to preserve humanity
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.