[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what the actual fuck is an RPG anymore? literally every single
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: 1399000192029.jpg (667 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1399000192029.jpg
667 KB, 1024x768
what the actual fuck is an RPG anymore? literally every single game ever made is classified as an RPG somebody help me out here
>>
RPG
Role-playing Game
A game in which you can play a role.
>>
File: ness at computer.jpg (24 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
ness at computer.jpg
24 KB, 500x368
>>322538731
has numbers in it

sometimes not even that

See: Deus ex human revolution
>>
>>322538946
>in Call of Duty you play the role of a marine who shoots sand people
>Call of Duty is an RPG
You play a role in nearly every game ever, silly
>>
>>322539115
bait.
>>
>deep and complex stats and combat system
>deep lore
>great writing
>turn based

basically Undertale.
>>
>Hurf durf any game is an RPG because you're role-playing as the character
>>
There are only two kinds of RPGs
WRPG (also known as shit) - A make your own adventure shitfest with terrible dialog and sex scenes because it's mature for a mature gamer
JRPG - Linear game with turn based combat in which teenagers save the world from gods/demons/some evil organization
Anything that doesn't fit these criteria is an action or an adventure game.
>>
You advance the character you role-play as through leveling and items. You're not just watching a character go through their journey (the game) you actually actively change their role within the world.
>>
>>322539489

People that say that are pointing out that an RPG isn't something defined by the literal meaning of the term. So that your autism doesn't let you read between the lines.
>>
>>322538731
That's a tough question friend, because under the standard definition pretty much every game CAN be rightfully called an RPG.
You play a 'role' in more or less any and every game. And so many games that you would never consider an RPG have level up systems (e.g every FPS in the past 10 years), so that idea is out too.
>>
my casual friend was talking about Witcher and I said it's not really my kind of game (shit combat, lame universe), and he said "What you don't like RPGs?" And I'm thinking "An RPG where I play a main character with a big canon backstory and established way of interacting with people? One where the levels you gain give you trivial upgrades that all end up being the same thing?"
>>
>>322539717
No, people who say that are my faggot-ass ex-roommate fedora-tipping 2deep4u dipshits.

We all know you role-play in any game. We're talking about legitimate DnD or Final Fantasy-style games in this context, anyone who isn't a fucking douchebag knows that.
>>
>>322539784
>levels you gain give you trivial upgrades that all end up being the same thing

Is this really the case? I was hoping to get in to the series.
>>
>>322538731
>>322538946
Role Playing Game is a game in which you play a set role. Not a role as in a role in the plot, but a role as in you have a character type or niche which you make the characters you control fulfil.

For example a game in which you have a party composed of a Tank, Healer and Damage Dealer, or a game in which you can be a Magic-user, or put points into being a sword user. Perhaps the game lets you develop yourself into a sneaky beaky fucker, or a gun-toting badass.

Basically any game that lets you develop yours or other characters into fulfilling specific roles is a role playing game. NOT a game that has you fulfilling a role in the story.

Quake 3 is not a role playing game, even though you play the role of a combatant in the arena.

Persona 3 is a role playing game because you take on specific roles based on what persona you pick, and your party fulfills healer/debuff/physical attack/elemental damage dealer etc. The line appears to blur in games like Battlefield 4 where you fulfil a specific role, but you do not particularly develop your character into fulfilling said role.
>>
>>322538731
I've always imagined it as a game where you're given a role, and you make every reasonable decision with regards to how you fulfil that role.
Example: Deus Ex
>>
>>322539174
He's being pedantic but he's right. I think the main difference between that and an RPG is the CHOICE of what role you play.
>>
>>322539236
>turn based
RPGs don't have to be turn-based
>>
>>322539236
Final Fantasy 1, the grandpa of RPG games, only has 1 of those.

>>322540561
So what defines growth as a character? Borderlands is considered an RPG, where you pick your character and build them but they are already pre-defined characters. Well on the other hand Ace Combat Zero isn't an RPG, even though you customize what plane you can ride in and it's weapons. To boast Ace Combat Zero has a lot more choices to it than Borderlands 1 has.
>>
>>322538731
Witcher 3
>>
File: skyrim-logo-5.jpg (199 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
skyrim-logo-5.jpg
199 KB, 1920x1080
>>322538731
>search best RPG's ever made
>pic related comes up

fuck video games man. its a fucking waste of existence
>>
>>322538731
>anymore

nigga, people been asking that question since day one.
>the fuck does this have to do with my pen and paper game?
>>
>>322538731
>Super _Smash_Bros_Brawl.jpg
>>
>>322540927
>choice of what role you play
Then why the fuck are JRPG considered as RPG when most games have you play an established character and class
>>
Rocket propelled grenade
>>
File: Rogue knight.jpg (553 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Rogue knight.jpg
553 KB, 1920x1080
>>322545418
Maybe it's because you have shit taste from eating mud in the Balmora riverbank.
>>
The real answer is any game based off of tabletop RPGs, e.g. DND. So games where you build characters' stats and equipment as you follow a questline.
>>
>>322542490
>FF1
>Grandfather of RPGs

This is what casual weebs believe
>>
>>322538731
An rpg allows a high level of freedom in regards to the story, character development, and interaction with the environment. Its supposed to emulate the kind of experience one gets with pen and paper games. Of course a perfect translation is impossible as the key component, real-time human colaboration, is missing. Early rpg games copied as much as they could, number crunching and basic story and character choices were the easiest to port over, but the more complex and evolving elements remained elusive.

Action games have borrowed lite rpg elements from even the early days of video games and have become more popular as 3d environments have become increasingly more detailed.

Action games and rpgs have tried to meld in the past (my favourite example of failed potential being the mass effect series) but as the price of making games continues rise and further pressure to achieve broad appeal many of the more complex elements of rpgs (character and story crafting and environment interaction) are simplified or thrown out entirely.

Marketers like to brand things as "rpgs" as it suggests a level of complexity that really isnt true.

If u want to play a real rpg find some friends and download the rulebook for traveller.
>>
>>322538731
That's why I call games like Final Fantasy or Earthbound turn-based games instead of RPG.
>>
>>322540053
Tell me a rpg that doesn't have a story where the game isn't focused on the character. You can't rpgs are role playing games.
>>
>>322546062
Old discussion, but many people (me included) don't consider most of the JRPGs really RPGs
>>
All games, by virtue of being interactive, are "role playing games". They're all limited in what you can do, but so are every single TRPG as well.

So, focusing on "can I interact with the world and the story and the lore" is pointless, because that's every game. Even shit like Kirby, you're choosing in what manner Kirby clears the levels, you have direct control over him and his actions. And the story is merely the sum of his actions.

SO INSTEAD, "RPG" in the context of a video game, simply means "a game with stats that you can raise by leveling up". That's it. It doesn't make any sense given the name, and we should probably come up with a new name for it. But that's what RPG means in this context, and anyone who says otherwise is trying to cause a ruckus.
>>
>>322551635

Many people (including you) are fucking retarded.
>>
>>322538731
>RPGs are a current meme. Shit like level ups and damage numbers is not what makes a game a RPG
>>
DotA and LoL are Multiplayer RPGs, but the game only lasts 20-60 minutes. The emphasis on these games are multiple playthroughs.
>>
File: DioBrando.png (595 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
DioBrando.png
595 KB, 1024x640
dont worry guys, im making a real rpg to show those clowns what theyre doing wrong
>"actual AI"
>randomized worlds on gamestart
>autistic level of cuztomization and retardedly complicated magic systems that make you feel like an actual wizard, journeying to learn the fundamentals of completely different systems in order to craft your own spells.(basically how i made my ai)
>everyone is datable.
that will be all
i will spam it for like 2 weeks in a row when im done with it
>expect nothing
>recieve everything.
too bad i dont have the knowledge to build an engine and my friends wont help so its all in python :^]
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.