[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite Bethesda game and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7
What's your favorite Bethesda game and why?
>>
Fallout 4, because they've improved on every game they've came out with time after time til they've gotten something really good with FO4.
>>
>>322427129
lol
>>
>>322427015
Skyrim because it's like Far Cry 3 with swords.
>>
Definitely not Oblivion, since that one is the worst.
>>
Oblivion because I have mad nostalgia for it and its soundtrack.

Based Jeremy Soule.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuFXhcUz06s
>>
FLYYYYIN IN THE SKYYYY CLIFF RACERS FLIES SO HIGH FLYYYYYIN
>>
>>322427172
>worse than Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Fallout 4
literally how
>>
>>322427328
It's definitely worse than Skyrim, and I say that as someone who thinks Skyrim is casual trash.
>>
>>322427328
Skyrim>Oblivion
>>
Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all time. I dunno why, I just enjoy the world and the quests. Great comfy atmosphere and >>322427306 GOAT OST.
>>
>>322427015
Oblivion for nostalgia reasons
>>
File: Morrowind art 2.jpg (129 KB, 592x900) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind art 2.jpg
129 KB, 592x900
>>322427015
Morrowind because its the only one that isn't shit.
>>
>>322427413
>>322427418
I never found an interesting location or character in Skyrim in my 50 hours of playing but I can name tons of great ones in Oblivion.
>>
>>322427015
Hard to say. FO3 had my favorite world but I spent the least time in. Skyrim had the most comfy world and great mods but got old fast. Oblivion was great and I spent the most time in but it was buggy and broken even after mods. Morrowind I didn't get into even at launch. FO4 tries but is missing that secret ingredient.

I guess Oblivion. Barely.
>>
>>322427015
wolfenstein the new order
>>
>>322427597
Why can't Bethesda make a game like Morrowind again?
>>
>>322427796
Because Morrowind was incredibly inaccessible and not fun.
Though unfortunately they've been focusing on the "fun" increasingly too much with each game. Oblivion was the best mix of fun and substance but it's downhill from there.
>>
File: ScreenShot00026.jpg (383 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot00026.jpg
383 KB, 1280x960
oblivion is, in my opinion, the best game this company has ever put out.

I know nobody endorses this game on /v/ (until recently), but I truly to find it to be one of the greatest RPG's of all time. I am currently replaying with no mods and loving every bit of it.
>>
>>322427796
You probably already know the answer to that. The only games allowed to exist according modern developers (western at least) are casual, easy to make and sell videogames.
>>
>>322427928
>that pic

Gee whiz anon, you sure modded your Oblivion to the point of no return.
>>
>>322427015
[My first Bethesda game] is my favorite Bethesda game, and anyone who disagrees is an underage retard/nostalgia babby
>>
Probably oblivion, technically morrowind is the better RPG but I like some of the quality of life improvements that came with oblivion. It's still hard to say it beats out morrowind though just because morrowind had such a unique setting.
>>
>>322428124
>tfw hated morrowinds setting
>>
>>322428046
ha, that pic is of asherons call, the literal greatest MMO ever made.

I linked that mistakenly, please disregard
>>
>>322427796
Because it would take creativity and integrity that they have long since shed for easier pastures.

Oblivion was an absolute shittastic mess of game design and sacrificed the heart and soul of their company on the altar of the xbox crowd.
>>
Skyrim because it and FO3 are the only ones I've played.
>>
File: daggerfall.jpg (34 KB, 230x451) Image search: [Google]
daggerfall.jpg
34 KB, 230x451
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 600x600
>>322427129
>>
What /v/ contrarians say:
>I like Morrowind the best.
What /v/ contrarians are actually saying:
>I prefer inaccessible games with shit-tier gameplay because they make me feel "intelligent" the same way that parsing through Ulysses makes me feel special.
>>
>>322428438
Interesting. Lets see what other Anons have to say about this.
>>322428401
>>
>>322428438

Nah, Morrowind just has top tier world design, and introduces a lot of the most interesting facets of the lore and setting.
>>
>>322428438
I know this is probably bait but morrowind is not that inaccessible m8, the biggest hurdle to get over is the leveling system. I feel like people who call it inaccessible aren't really looking for an open world RPG because morrowind gives you a huge open world to explore and solid RPG mechanics and that might be overwhelming to some people who want their hand held a bit.
>>
>>322427928
Is that Asheron's Call?
>>
>>322428438
I haven't even played Morrowind but you are everything wrong with the state of the industry. You're probably underage too.
>>
>>322427015
why is nobody mentioning fallout new vegas ??
>>
>>322428601
I mean there's value in that sure, but it's still a video game.
Also consider that New Vegas has superior writing and story but VATS is broken and much of the map is unfinished.
>>322428746
Having skills determine hits is fucking stupid.
>>
>>322428776
??
>>
>>322428768
yes. did you play? I still play my character on darktide regularly.

/v/ would absolutely love this game, but I am too lazy to promote it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wVKWWkp0hU&feature=youtu.be

I still play my character regularly, and can help everyone get started. watch the video and give me a shout ingame or on here if you want to meet up
>>
>>322428776
Because it's not a Bethesda game you moron.
>>
>>322428858
>Having skills determine hits is fucking stupid.
>in an rpg

what the fuck
>>
>>322428769
Probably older than you actually.
Definitely more mature since I can see past the contrarianism here.
>>322429126
Go on: define what makes an RPG for us. :)
I don't think RPGs are required to have shit-tier combat.
>>
>>322428776
why is nobody mentioning wolfenstein the new order??
>>
I wish morrowind had a bigger soundtrack, you play for 10 minutes and you already hear the songs repeating
>>
>>322429220
RPGs are broadly defined but one thing they consistently share is stats that determine character performance over player input.

This is employed in varying degrees from game to game.

TES has tried to hybridize action and RPG conventions from day one. Morrowind was just staying true to its Might and Magic roots as a first person dungeon crawler.
>>
>>322429220
I'd say a fairly fundamental aspect of RPGs is the ability to create different character builds independent of player skill.

If a person with shitty reflexes can't play an agile character, I think it's a questionable RPG and starts to become an action game.
>>
>>322428941
I beta tested it back when that meant getting MS to mail you a copy. Haven't played in years. I may have to now that you put the itch in my brain.
>>
>>322429495
Oblivion did it fine: it determines your damage with the weapon. Theres no reason for it to determine hits.
>>
>>322427796
It was total shit you little weabs
>>
>>322427796

Because Micheal Kirkbridge works for TellTale now
>>
Skyrim since it was the first Bethesda game I actually spent time playing.

All the other games I'd play for a few hours and then never touch them again.
>>
>>322429887
Sure there is, if you always hit and do some damage with enough healing potions anything is possible.

If you can't hit at all there can be actual interesting situations that come out of it. The example I always give is ghosts; they can only be hurt by silver and better weapons. If I play an axe character but only have a silver longsword, I can just use it anyway.

So a potentially interesting situation of "how do I avoid the ghost" turns into "how many times do I need to stand in front of the ghost pressing LMB"
>>
>>322430196
Why?
>>
>>322430218
It's fine with skill determining hits as long as the animations that play fit the skill checks done by the combat engine.
>>
>>322429887
Hit determination validated light and fast builds. Before Skyrim added sprinting, Oblivion's change absolutely neutered endurance. But then Skyrim felt it didn't really need stats anyway.

In Oblivion there is absolutely nothing a dagger brings to the table that makes it worth taking over a sword. Oblivion's consolidation of stats and weapon types raped any potential depth the series had for button mashing.

Oblivion also raped speechcraft with its bafflingly retarded minigame.

Oh, and then there's Oblivion's going full retard on its enemy scaling in a game that levels you up through non combat stats and 2/3 of the stats being non combat.
>>
>>322427015
favorite implies you like more than one. fuck off bethesdrone
>>
>>322430352
I agree. Morrowind's critical flaw isn't skill based combat, it just did a shitty job conveying what was going on.

One other shitty thing about Oblivion's system is it makes leveling agility stupid, since raising it doesn't increase your ability to dodge any attack.
>>
>>322430079

>wrpg fans
>'weabs'

um...
>>
>>322427015
Dishonored because Bedshitter's incompetent developers didn't touch it, just their marketers and publishers.
Bethesda are what is wrong with video game development, y'all too stockholmed to see it.
Fucking Horse Armor. Fuck Bethesda and their fans.
>>
>>322427796
Because your nostalgia blinds you. The same exact bullshit will be said years from now for Oblivion and Skyrim. "Why can't bethesda make a game like Oblivion/Skyrim again?"
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (38 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
38 KB, 480x360
Skynet, captured all the atmosphere of JC's vision.
>>
>>322427015
1 - Fallout NV
2 - Skyrim
>>
>>322430869
>still mad about one of their first DLC ever
>doesnt think about how they made up for it with shivering isles
>doesnt think about the DLC in subsequent games
sad
>>
>>322430869
I don't like a lot of things Bethesda does but they're pretty good as far as American AAA devs go.

Horse armour sucked but they honestly learned from it and mostly release mini-expansions and substantial DLC now.
>>
File: tsoo0_si_img00.jpg (125 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
tsoo0_si_img00.jpg
125 KB, 512x384
>>322430869
>Not liking Horse Armor
>>
Oblivion because it was the first one I played and I have some fond memories of the exploration aspect of it despite the jarring flaws.
>>
>>322427015
FO4. Bethesda showed what they learned from other games and from modders and made use of it.

Thing is, I wish they'd gone a little further, but in games this scale, it's hard to do that with publishing dates looming overhead.
>>
now I wonder what Fallout 4s DLC will be like.
hopefully no more forced crafting bullshit
>>
oblivion
>>
>>322431058
The only reason the Shivering Isles and Dark Brotherhood mission set was good was because they were written by ex Looking Glass devs.
Horse Armor being a success fucked us in the long run, the rest of the industry noticed, now we get sold games piecemeal.
>It's a Bethesda game it's supposed to be broken and buggy
is not a valid sentiment, despite being a common one.
>>
>>322431295
Not even mentioning the gameplay but they've never made a more poorly optimized game
Its unbelievable how bad it runs in the city
>>
>>322431397
horse armor wasnt broken or buggy just overpriced
nowadays it would be 099 or 199
>>
>>322427172
>>322427413
>>322427418
Found the barely legal babbies. If you seriously think they Skyrim is better then Oblivion then you're just 100 percent wrong.
>>
>>322431660
gross dude, oblivion has fucking ugly graphics, te people all look like retards
>>
>>322431660
I'm convinced most of them were too young to play Oblivion and are just attached to the gameplay of Skyrim.
>>
>>322428124
I loved the setting in Vvardenfell. I loved Dragonborn since it was a nice visit back.

But god, Morrowind as a game was problematic. The dice-based combat mixed with reflex combat doesn't really make sense in how they implemented it. It's hard enough to aim a fucking ninja star at a moving target, and then you have to hope your Marksman skill rates, too.

The UI was a mess - especially dealing with inventory.

The dialogue system was nice in theory, but when you realize how much of the dialogue is a copy-paste job, it takes a lot out of the roleplay.

I did like the piece-by-piece armor. I wish they'd done that in Skyrim. Nice that they did that in Fallout 4, even though there's only a handful of armor styles.

At any rate, I enjoyed Morrowind but I couldn't go back and play it for long. It's so cumbersome to play.
>>
>>322431795
I hope you insult Morrowind even more.
>>
>>322431916
nah morrowind looks fine, the graphics are technically worse but the characters aren't as painful to look at too bad it's a shit game because of the combat system though
>>
>>322431660
It's been a while since I replayed Oblivion but I think Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion.

I think part of that was the ridiculous high expectations I had for Oblivion and I was already jaded by the time Skyrim came out, but I prefer the levelling, world design, and two-handed equip system in Skyrim.

Oblivion is an awkward half way point, Skyrim at least knows it's a casual game and just tries to be a fun one.
>>
>>322431483
Never had trouble in the city areas - seen it both on the PC and the PS4.

THAT SAID - Bethesda is awful, awful, awful about optimizing their games. Like, they could do a lot of good if they hired the guy that did the texture optimizer for the Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim just to do that and only that for their games. There's no reason why a texture that looks fine (on HD monitors) at say 100kb should remain unoptimized at 500kb.
>>
>>322432215
>Oblivion is an awkward half way point, Skyrim at least knows it's a casual game and just tries to be a fun one.
hadn't considered this
still prefer Oblivion though
>>
>>322431814
How was UI a mess? It's the best fucking TES game UI, period. You had all the windows and all the information instantly at your disposal, you could move, close and resize the windows.
>>
>>322432078
I can live with the hardware limitations of Morrowind, too.

But fuck that combat system and those awkward animations.
>>
>>322432464
idk man, I've never had a bethesda game have frame drops as bad as trinity tower.
in the wastes I get 20, there I get 5.
before you ask no I didnt buy it; already knew it would run too shitty but not THAT bad
>>
>>322432695
I agree it's the best UI in a TES game but the inventory becomes a mess.

It's awful to try and find one potion among 30 identical icons by hovering over each one.
>>
>>322432695
Inventory - you'd have to hover over the object to see what it was. A detailed list (like they brought out in Oblivion and what's in the SkyUI mod) handles that well. This was an issue when looting and trading as well.

Magic Effects - while it was cool to have them in-language for the universe, those icons were both difficult to figure out and could be hard to see, especially if you had a larger monitor.

Being able to set up your own windows was smart. I definitely miss seeing what my character's gear looked like, too.

I'll say this - worst Bethesda UI belongs to Fallout. Oh my christ, all this screen space and it's all limited to like, 65% of the screen, wtf?
>>
>>322427015
oblivion because nehrim
>>
>>322431012
FS has better maps though and is my most played Bethesda game ever
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.