[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a Pillars of Eternity thread? I'm sure others
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: header[1].jpg (54 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header[1].jpg
54 KB, 460x215
Can we have a Pillars of Eternity thread? I'm sure others must have grabbed this off the Steam sale too

How good are Druids? I'm debating taking Sagani off my team for Hiravias
>>
I heard Rangers suck. I don't know if they fixed it or if Saggy is an exception.
>>
>>322395683
Yeah she seems very underwhelming, all she can do is attack normally and inflict one shitty debuff, and I'm using her fox as a third tank but he's pretty underwhelming too

It really feels like Rangers can't do anything better than another class and the animal companion doesn't make up for it
>>
Buyer's remorse
>>
>>322395563
I kept Sagani around for a good while, she's been pretty reliable. Then again I like her character and the mission she's on is interesting, so I am biased.
Hiravias is a tiny, annoying little cunt, at best good to stick in Caed Nua and farm adventures for you.
>>
I have $4, what do I spend it on?
>>
>>322395871
When I played rangers were very powerful at DPS
>>
>>322395563
Why not just pirate it? It's entirely singleplayer
>inb4 to support the devs
>>
>>322395563
I was looking at it for a few weeks and ended up buying it this sale, but I'm on vacation and won't be able to play until next week or so. What should I expect?
>>
>>322396860
Lots of exposition dumping and somewhat generic characters, but a good game underneath that if you enjoy Baldur's Gate style RPGs, definitely not perfect but I'm enjoying it a lot, the setting is interesting
>>
File: 1274675180175.jpg (542 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
1274675180175.jpg
542 KB, 750x1000
I have been liking it, Just planned on make my character last night and ended up playing for 4 hours.
>>
>make boreal dwarf chanter with 18 in resolve, perception, and intelligence
>17 in constitution
>5 in might
>2 in dexterity

how fucked am I for a first playthrough on normal? how fucked would I be if I picked iron man mode?
>>
>>322398493
>17 con, 5 might

That's a very odd build

You'll be fine with basically anything on a normal playthrough though
>>
Hiravias has a bit of an odd build for a druid but him being a druid makes up for it
they have AoE damage and utility that surpasses even that of a wizard and some fairly neat utility spells you can use in a pinch
>>
Druids are fun, you can never have enough casters in your team and he has a good mix of offensive and defensive capabilities

more importantly, Hiarvias has a great personality and is one of the most fun and interesting characters to have around
>>
>>322399869
I'm trying him out now, especially after noticing that he comes with Weapon Focus: Peasant, so I can give him the hunting bow and unique hatchet I had on Sagani and he uses them better

Cipher MC, Aloth, Eder, Pallegina, Durance, and Hiravias seems like a pretty solid team that should be able to handle anything
>>
>>322401548
you may want to consider replacing aloth or pallegina with kana rua, bringing a chanter is always nice - particularly the summons are amazing and saved my ass time and time again.

kana rua is pretty flexible as well and works as ranged fighter as well as backup melee
>>
>>322402126
summons are good but many times they come in too late to make a difference. At least in my playthrough, by the time I was able to summon ogres (which are really good), the fight was pretty much over.
>>
>>322402368
what difficulty?
>>
>>322402731
hard. maybe they're more useful on potd?
>>
>>322402126
Well Aloth's AoE damage is too valuable to pass up, and Pallegina is my second tank, because my MC is a Cipher with a rogue build, I mostly stand back and use pistols and cipher skills and occasionally step in with melee

I'll try playing around with it more later but at this point in the game Kana just isn't very useful for me
>>
>>322396317
I pirated it and I don't want to support this. If that's what modern Obsidian is, there is no Obsidian anymore for me.
>>
White March, y/n?
>>
>>322395563
SAGANI IS BEST WAIFU
>>
>>322404461
If you like the base game, you'll like WM. It adds some good quests, powerful weapons and some challenging encounters.
>>
>>322404461
I'm waiting for part 2 to fully appreciate it
>>
>>322403012
probs, i was playin hard too, so maybe youre just better than me
>>
I never finished it.
I got stuck on the final boss.
>>
Hows the White March DLC? i just got it so when am I in for?
>>
How much voice acting is in this game? I don't want to read a wall of text.
>>
>>322406341
>I dont like to read

kids these days, I swear
>>
does this game get better after the starting areas? some singing shark dindu wants me to kill ghosts with him. Game's not really grabbing me at this point.
>>
>>322406413
I don't mind a little reading. The text in Wasteland 2 was okay. I just don't want to read for 30 minutes like I did for Divinity.
>>
File: drc.jpg (132 KB, 1173x329) Image search: [Google]
drc.jpg
132 KB, 1173x329
>>322406341
might not be a game for you, bud
>>
>>322406341
Half the time you get voice acting but only for the first text box, other times you get the whole deal.
>>
>>322406413
you know what the difference between Pillars of Eternity and Planescape torment is?

in Planescape: a dialogue with random faceless civilian will give as much a short story with entire scenes written out while staying concise and short.

Pillars will give you a character who will do nothing but dump exposition as their dialogue while providing nothing of actual substance.
>>
Do wizards get better? Currently my druid has more spells that are also a lot stronger.
>>
File: 12139884_906496822791343.jpg (102 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
12139884_906496822791343.jpg
102 KB, 1080x1080
>>322406706
I disagree. PS:T did drop walls of text at you. Since the very first moment, your conversation with Dhall can get pretty lengthy. Not that I mind, since I enjoyed both games, and granted, PS:T's story and characters are better than PoE's.

Wizards have better crowd control and utility spells; druids have the best damage spells in the game. I personally like druids better.
>>
>>322407514
>Wizards have better crowd control and utility spells; druids have the best damage spells in the game. I personally like druids better.

meant for >>322406860
>>
>>322406860

Wizards got some ridiculously powerful hold spell. or something like that. It was goofy, though, but it was high level. Druids had a lot more and easier to use AoE until then
>>
>>322407605
Wizards also have better magical weapons, the magical wand in particular is rather ridiculous. The Wizard clone summon is also ridiculously good.
>>
File: 50436567_p4.jpg (142 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
50436567_p4.jpg
142 KB, 500x600
> almost finished a voice mod six months ago but got bored because the game sucked and didn't change the last few lines
> get repeating digits on pol when I said I'd finish the mod if I got em, finally finish the mod, boot up the game again to record some footage
> game is worse then I remember, have even less incentive to publish the mod than before
>>
>>322406575
Durance may be spouting nonsensical bullshit, but damn if he's not my favourite character so far.
His healing stuff is kind of useless and his Mechanics are easily outdone by any rouge Adventurer you might create so there's someone to pick high level locks for you, but I never had the heart to get rid of him.
>>
>>322406860
The high level wizard spells are better than druid IMO
Also you can make a build for wizard summoned weapons which are quite powerful
>>
>>322395563
Hiravias rules. Sagani's pretty great too, though.

When's white march part 2 out?
>>
Someone tell me what I am missing with this game.

Every time I start a dungeon I can only go for one level and need to get the fuck out and chill to tackle next ones. Often I ignore the ones I started cause my party feels weak and I played on normal.

Is that expected?
>>
>>322409350
best character in the game imo

>>322409497
feb i think
>>
>>322409350
Priest has some great spells, his healing is pretty potent and useful against stronger enemies

His best spells for me right now are the level 3 defensive buff spell and the level 2 projectile that heals allies and hurts enemies

Also the shit he's saying isn't quite bullshit, he's pretty interesting when he starts telling you more about himself

>>322409723
That's what camping supplies are for, you have to use your best spells in hard fights so you have to rest after to replenish them
>>
>>322409723
I dunno mang, maybe your party comp is off? I played on normal and I only had to use camping supplies in the dungeon underneath the castle you end up with
>>
>>322395563
How's the White March shit?
>>
>>322409350
Priest is great for buffs, the defense against things like fear or mind control is practically necessary
>>
>>322409723
It took me a while to figure out combat in this game, how far in are you?
>>
>>322409723
Maybe you're underleveled. Enemies in that dungeon get higher in level as the dungeon gets deepr
>>
>>322410427
>>322410747

I am not planning to go back, but I was wondering if that is normal. I am liking the concepts except the game world.

I stopped around the time you get your own castle, and get to know the first city.

So I wouldn't say I tackled hard dungeons, since I literally went through main story road, and did main story missions.
>>
I actually wrote some shit about the combat in the game earlier today.How full of shit am i?

blablablabla .. The pathfinding in the game does not always work as you would expect it to. The game does not allow characters to run through each other. This is a good thing in my opinion since you use this in your strategies to block enemies and so on. I would prefer it if allied characters could switch places in crowded places but that is a design decision they made. What is annoying though is your characters can not always go where you from the visuals would expect them to be able to go. This combined with a general buggy pathfinding leads to it not being uncommon for your characters to behave oddly because of the pathfinding.

Another issue that i have is the large amount of micromanagement you have to do. The party ai is extremely basic and they will for example not continue attacking after using a skill. This means that you have to do a large amount of microing just to have your party performing the basic stuff. This would not be a big issue if it was not for the fact that there is a large amount of combat against trash enemies in this game.

If the game expects me to micro all the time then i expect the game to deliver encounters worth microing in and not simply throwing the same mobs after me over and over again. This made the combat feel slow and boring after a while in my opinion. It also did not help that the game does not give your xp for the combat and that the mobs rarely drops anything worth talking about.

Another thing i reacted to is that the game limits the amount of times you can use most spells before resting. I can see this making sense in a game where resting supplies are rare but in this game you can simple go back and get more supplies or simply rest in your castle. So it is more of an annoyance and it simply lead to me only using the boring per encounter stuff since i did not want to have to backtrack and get more supplies.
>>
>>322412095
You actually do gain xp from combat, the amount is just so insignificant that it's negligible, which really just furthers your point
>>
>>322396175
buy me republic commando
>>
Pretty shitty game
>>
>>322412302
If i am not mistaken you get a very small amount of xp the first time you have killed x of a new kind of monsters.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.