[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>videogames in the 90's >ambitious games >license
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10
File: image.png (9 KB, 405x344) Image search: [Google]
image.png
9 KB, 405x344
>videogames in the 90's
>ambitious games
>license loop-holes
>games weren't cookie-cutter bullshit
>no paid reviews
>internet didn't exist
>reviewers had to honestly review a game or their magazine wasn't bought
>3d was brand new
>if you didn't have a guide or a good friend to help beat that one part you were fucked
>cheat codes were found by mashing buttons no searching on the internet
>so much potential

fast forward 2015
>AAA paradise
>CoD clones
>open world clones
>gay sex orgy
>paid reviews
>shills
>internet flooded with free websites on how to cheat the game before it came out
>blames pirating for shitty games when it's an excuse of the developers (look at skyrim, modded to hell by people who did it all for free with donations)
>sexism in games is an all time high
>where the fuck did it come from
>indie games are on the verge of crashing when they just start hitting hard, thanks to kikestarter/scamstarter

what the fuck is going on, and what is going to happen soon? Is the magic all gone /v/?
>>
We can still play good games anon, just forget about the Internet and the shitty "gaming" community as a whole.

I'm gonna play Silent Hill for the 2nd time this week (first time I got the Bad Ending, and i did some research that I have to save a guy and activate a cinematic to be able to get the good one, so gonna play this again) and I am loving every bit of this game!
Also plan on playing Ape Escape for the PS1 again, and maybe get started on the Resident Evil and the Yakuza games.

TL;DR Play some old shit that you missed back in the day OP, you might find something you like!
>>
>>322391014
There's also one trick.
Treat anything on the Internet as its own game: the "My shit is always better than your shit and I can prove it because you are a shitlord" game. It's called 4Chan.
>>
>>322365214
It's ogre anons. We can only bitch about new games and try and re-direct people towards older ones and >>>/vr/
>>
>>322390493
Don't forget:
>every game is spoiled on the Internet weeks before it's even released
>>
Luckily I only play games until 2005, never get disappointed :^)
>>
>AAA paradise
As if this is a bad thing. There is nothing wrong with high-budget, highly publicized games. There is nothing with people who don't adopt gaming culture like you do. Get over it.
>CoD clones
As if we didn't have one bajillion Diablo clones, AoE clones, MnM clones etc. before
>open world clones
I'm not sure you understand what genre clones are. If you're talking about mmorpg's and/or minecraft, I agree with you but there isn't THAT many and a lot of them are better than okay.
>gay sex orgy
if you don't like it, don't play it
>paid reviews
As if this wasn't a thing before.
>shills
Well this is just inevitable.
>internet flooded with free websites on how to cheat the game before it came out
So? Who cares? No one told you to go play with cheaters.
>blames pirating for shitty games when it's an excuse of the developers (look at skyrim, modded to hell by people who did it all for free with donations)
Who in their right mind would blame pirates for shitty games? Most often pirated games are always the best.
>sexism in games is an all time high
Have you ever even played old RPGs? You have no idea......
>indie games are on the verge of crashing when they just start hitting hard, thanks to kikestarter/scamstarter
What the hell are you talking about? Some of the greatest games of our generation were indies.
>>
File: 1380481373287.jpg (82 KB, 990x534) Image search: [Google]
1380481373287.jpg
82 KB, 990x534
>>322390493
I remember looking up cheat codes for games in the late 90s. Tons of games were shitty clones of other games. The internet was around in some form even before the 90s. Stop with your nostalgia.
>>
>>322390493
>>cheat codes were found by mashing buttons no searching on the internet

Man, when I was a kid we had this little notebook our parents hand wrote out for us full of cheat codes for World Of Illusion and Lion King and a million other games except fucking Ecco the Dolphin WHERE I NEEDED THEM. To this day, I have no fucking idea where they got them all from. My parents are not game-savy people, and this was before we had the internet.
Must remember to ask them one day.
>>
>>322391465
>AAA Paradise
Except the bulk of modern AAA titles are half-assed, overpriced and gutted for DLC.
>CoD
Fair point
>OW Clone
I'm not that guy and he kinda confused me too.
>Gay
I chuckled.
>paid reviews
Agreed, nothing has changed.
>shills
Nothing has changed.
Rest is pretty spot on.
>>
>>322391856
They probably went to the store, skimmed a "game cheat code" book off a shelf, alphabetical order!, and wrote down some stuff.
>>
>>322392073
>reading a book without buying it
That's cheating
>>
File: 1272462096921.png (13 KB, 480x323) Image search: [Google]
1272462096921.png
13 KB, 480x323
>>322392162
Fitting wouldn't you say?
>>
File: 1434084667381.jpg (16 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1434084667381.jpg
16 KB, 447x444
>>322390493
>no paid reviews
>internet didn't exist
>>
Limits breed creativity.

The second we had enough power to render open worlds is the second we realized we couldn't think up enough meaningful content to fill them with.
>>
Be the change you want to see in the world, anon.

What I'm saying is

>make a game

It's not easy, and it's not cheap. It's time consuming. But whether you do it as a hobby, or as your life's work; as long as you enjoy it, you did good.
>>
Wow, nostalgia is cancer.
>>
>>322394409
>it's not cheap
RPGs are. You can make some pretty good shit in RPG Maker if you are at least patient, don't really need money for it, except maybe outsourcing music, minor clips of some audio.
>>
>>322390493
Game development cost is pretty high now so making experimental games are riskier than ever
>>
1980 Grandpa reporting in.

>>322390493
>ambitious games
>license loop-holes
No less now than then.
LOL
>no paid reviews
LO FUCKING L
>internet didn't exist
Uh huh.
LOL
>3d was brand new
Not really, no. I Robot and Battlezone say hi.
>if you didn't have a guide or a good friend to help beat that one part you were fucked
Uh huh.
Cheat codes were found in magazines.

If you actually had a childhood in the 90s, you would know how full of shit you are.
>>
>>322395652
>Grandpa
Damn, son. You're old. How does it "feel" to be old relatively and literally?
>>
File: OP underage as fuck.jpg (2 MB, 1999x1499) Image search: [Google]
OP underage as fuck.jpg
2 MB, 1999x1499
>>322390493
>>reviewers had to honestly review a game or their magazine wasn't bought
>>
>>322395652
Another 1980s grandpa here, I pretty much disagree with everything you've said.

Games were more ambitious, sure there were cookie cutter games, but proportionally less of them than now. Internet wasn't a thing for most people until the mid to late 90s. Paid reviews were a thing, but again, much less prevalent. 3d had been tried a few times, but the majority of games used 2d sprites. Cheat codes were found in magazines, or by calling those game help hotlines that you paid for by the minute (remember those?)
>>
>>322390493
>no paid reviews
spot the underage faggot
>>
File: grumpy-old-man-19577484.jpg (45 KB, 360x450) Image search: [Google]
grumpy-old-man-19577484.jpg
45 KB, 360x450
>>322390493
>Back in my day..
>>
>>322390493
let me answer your question anon.

video games are an established industry now
&
the internet is way more prevalent.
>>
File: 6x5.jpg (1 MB, 1838x1530) Image search: [Google]
6x5.jpg
1 MB, 1838x1530
Video games used to be better. I don't think there is any denying that if you actually look at the situation from an unbiased perspective. Along with everything OP said, they used to be more challenging, more cryptic, and none of these long ass tutorials to explain simple game mechanics "Press A to jump! But do you really know how to do it? Jump 3 times, just to make sure you understand the concept." I mean I could have just pressed A and saw that it made my character jump, without ever having been told that's how it works. No need for a text box explaining that, let alone a 30 minute tutorial.

Imagine that you're playing Mario 1 for the first time again, and you've never played any other video games before. So you start in 1-1, and what do you do? You press buttons on the controller, to see what they do. Right? Isn't that common sense / instinct? Apparently there are some people who would just sit there like "DUHHH WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO", otherwise they wouldn't bother putting these kind of tutorials in games.

Games are now designed to cater to the lowest denominator and everyone is punished for it - Including these stupid people who need these tutorials, and people who just suck at video games. Think about it. When did all these shitty people become interested in games? A little after the SNES era, right? Because those are the kinds of games people want. Those are the kinds of games that drew them in; challenging games with no tutorials, that don't treat you like an idiot. Even if you are an idiot / person who sucks at games / poorly coordinated person, you still benefit from more genuine quality games, rather than the handholding games of modern gaming. Because those are the kinds of games EVERYBODY wants.
>>
>>322395931
Pretty shitty overall.

Too cowardly to commit suicide, and I spend every day increasingly asking myself why I bother staying alive.

If you don't have a six figure income by age 25 you might as well just go out in a fun way and OD on heroin or something.
>>
I feel games are more cinematic, shorter, and more simplified to cater to people who wear video games as a fashion accessory or to people with mild autism. In the old days I feel like it was somewhat similar to this but more fun and challenging.
>>
File: 1351609025784.jpg (592 KB, 1999x1499) Image search: [Google]
1351609025784.jpg
592 KB, 1999x1499
>>322390493
>videogames in the 90's
>ambitious games
>no paid reviews
The "I clearly wasn't alive in the 90s" Starter Pack.

Especially this particularly chunky hunk of shit:
>no paid reviews

In future, avoid talking about things you clearly know nothing about.
>>
>>322390493
Videogames are dead, Anon. That's why indieshit is our only hope.
>>
>>322397428
Also, the reason I post this 6x5 is not just to showcase good old games, but it's to make people consider the ratio of good games in the 90's, and how frequently they came out, with that of modern gaming.

Also, consider FF7. I actually didn't get around to playing it until 2011, and I loved it. Yet I come on the internet, say that I like the game, and I'm told that I just like it because of "nostalgia", and that turn based combat doesn't stand up anymore. I'm sure others have similar experiences; didn't get around to playing / beating a game until years after its release, yet when you say you like the game, you get told that you only like it because of nostalgia.

Also Dark Souls is one of the best games to come out since the 90's, yet because people are accustomed to all these handholding piss easy games, we're told that we only like it because it's hard. The game just has no other redeeming factors apparently.

Because what happens is, people play the game, the only thing they notice about it is that it's harder than what they're used to, so that's the only thing they take away from the game. They don't want to make any kind of attempt to understand the game mechanics. Let's not look at the bosses, the great world / level design, the massive variety of weapons and different kinds of characters you can create - The only notable feature about the game is that it's hard, apparently.

And dying is now considered a fault of the game, and not the fault of the poorly coordinated person who died; if you die in a game, according to modern "gamers", that is considered bad game design.
>>
>>322397959
>"The view from the offices overlooking san francisco bay were incredible, but not as good as from the helicopter they chartered to demonstrate the game's awesome realism."

I didn't realize Hi-Rez Studios was around back in '95 google says they were founded in '05.
>>
Indie games have been DOMINATING, RAPING, and HUMILIATING supposed "AAA" trash for years. Some dude will make a $5 game in his mom's basement by himself, and it turns out better than Call of Shitty 87, made by a team of 1,000+ people and sold for $60.
>>
File: 1451538749122.jpg (72 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1451538749122.jpg
72 KB, 323x323
>>322390493
>>cheat codes were found by mashing buttons no searching on the internet

So, you didn't actually play games in the 90s.

shit thread
>>
>>322395216
Good point. So there's even less at stake for someone to try and make a good game these days. I've been working on one on and off for almost 2 years now. Don't know when I'll finish it, but it's just a fun pass time for me.
>>
>>322390493
>>322390493
>people are actually believing this post
Fucking hell.
>>
>>322400543
>people are actually believing the truth
Face it. Gameplay used to be better in classic games. There's a reason you play a game, uninstall and never play it again and move onto the next one now. They aren't designed to be masterpieces anymore. Nobody dreams of making the games you see in modern gaming; they are throwaway games, designed to get $60 from you and then you buy the next $60 game next year.

And then idiots feel buyer's remorse once they realize this so they deny it instead of becoming part of the solution.
>>
The 90's were filled with shitty AoE, M64 and doom clones. Just like with music, you only remember the good things that stood out.

I still miss the golden age of adventure and rts games though.
>>
>>322390493
Do you remember how many 2D sidescrollers there were? Beat 'em ups? Top-down perspective turn-based JRPGs?
>>
>>322390493
>gay sex orgy
How is this a bad thing?!
>>
>>322401264
>M64 and doom clones.
You probably think Banjo Kazooie is a "M64" clone. I can't think of a single "M64" clone. There were a few FPS rehashes, like I don't know, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, that's about it.
>Just like with music, you only remember the good things that stood out.
>>322401442
These are always shitty arguments. Consoles are defined by their good games. The raw number of good games is the only thing that matters. Not the ratio of good games.

If there is a console with 100 good games, and 1,000,000 bad ones, that's better than a console with 1 good game and 0 bad games. But how can that be! Look at that 100% good game ratio on that second console - at least that's what retards would try to argue.

This being said, the 90's had far more good games on their consoles than modern consoles. Gen 7 was complete trash, 0 good games across the board. The Wii U is the only good gen 8 console yet nobody is buying it - So expect fewer games, and more netflix from consoles in the future, because that's whats selling now.
>>
>>322402284
>Consoles are defined by their good games. The raw number of good games is the only thing that matters. Not the ratio of good games.
What are you talking about?

There are a LOT of games, including good ones, on 5th gen and under that are very similar. I said absolutely nothing about quality.
>>
>>322390493
MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY
>>
>>322402627
Well, games are more rehashy now than ever before. I don't even understand how you could possibly try to argue that fewer things are copied / rehashed now, for the simple fact that time moves forward.
>>
>>322402856
>games are more rehashy now than ever before
You only think this because you don't remember the millions of shitty clones of other games there there were in the past.
>>
>>322402856
Anon
The NES is literally platformers and beat'em ups: the console
SNES was basically Square's personal playground

We actually have a much wider variety in games these days. If anything, this is just you only remembering older generations through your nostalgia, when you didn't get a lot of games, so each one was like this brand new, big thing.
>>
>>322403034
You're simply cherry picking questionable "rehashes" of the past, and denying the rehashes of modern gaming.

Again, your argument doesn't even make sense for the simple fact that time moves forward. That means more things will be copied as time moves on. You can't argue that fewer things are somehow copied / rehashed now.
>>
>>322390493
Don't worry anon, the market will fix it

t. neo-liberal
>>
>>322403119
>The NES is literally platformers
Yet the well known platformers on the NES are quite different; Metroid, Mario 3, Castlevania, Mega Man, etc. You are judging the games from a very superficial perspective; they're platformers, so they're the same thing.

People who try to make arguments like this probably also think Super Mario 64 is a rehash of Super Mario World. They're both platformers, after all.
>SNES was basically Square's personal playground
Super Metroid, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Castlevania 4, Super Mario World, Mega Man X series, Donkey Kong series, Chrono Trigger, etc.
>We actually have a much wider variety in games these days
It's all a bunch of FPS rehashes and just boring, easy shit like Skyrim.
>If anything, this is just you only remembering older generations through your nostalgia
See:
>>322398136
>Also, consider FF7. I actually didn't get around to playing it until 2011, and I loved it. Yet I come on the internet, say that I like the game, and I'm told that I just like it because of "nostalgia", and that turn based combat doesn't stand up anymore. I'm sure others have similar experiences; didn't get around to playing / beating a game until years after its release, yet when you say you like the game, you get told that you only like it because of nostalgia.
Nostalgia is a myth from people like you. You think it's just a magic little word you can say to win debates.
>>
This is largely a non-problem for Japanese games because they aren't contrarian trendy gender and cultural authoritarian retards and have maintined their work ethic from day 1.

It's western gaming which is what went to absolute shit, not Japanese games.
>>
>>322403808
>t. neo-liberal
>t.

What is this thing? I've been seeing it crop up recently.
>>
>>322404325
>It's western gaming which is what went to absolute shit
I think it's more that it was never good in the first place.
>>

i guess those millions of shitty furry platformers never existed
>>
>>322404431
It's impossible to even try to argue that they weren't more unique then, because that's when gaming became really big and popular in the first place. So obviously there was a lot of innovation.
>>
>>322404382
It's an /int/ meme, t. is a finnish way of saying "regards" (short for "terveisin").
>>
>>322390493
>no paid reviews
>implying

>OP is too underage b& to know about usenet

Loving Every Laugh
>>
>>322403994
>Super Metroid, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Castlevania 4, Super Mario World, Mega Man X series, Donkey Kong series, Chrono Trigger, etc.
That's a bunch of first-party Nintendo (of course, being a Nintendo console), a Square game (good job) and then two actually different IPs from different devs.

>It's all a bunch of FPS rehashes and just boring, easy shit like Skyrim.
NOW who's painting in broad strokes?

Maybe you should try looking for other games.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_video_gaming

Look at all those fucking games
Roller Dirby Disco Dodgeball, Project Mirai DX and Bloodborne came out in the same year.
That's variety.
>>
>>322404815
That explains why my psuedointellectual fucknugget with an oveinflated ego of a friend keeps using it.

thank
>>
>>322404815
I only browse /int/ to watch south koreans and japs verbally attack each other.
>>
>>322404964
>That's a bunch of first-party Nintendo (of course, being a Nintendo console), a Square game (good job) and then two actually different IPs from different devs.
>NOW who's painting in broad strokes?
You.
>Maybe you should try looking for other games.
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_video_gaming
>Look at all those fucking games
>Roller Dirby Disco Dodgeball, Project Mirai DX and Bloodborne came out in the same year.
>That's variety.
These games are fucking jokes compared to the games I listed. Clearly the problem has to be with me, the standard rhetoric pushed by you people. There can't be a problem with modern gaming. All these people who notice what I'm saying are just wrong apparently, even though games are noticeably easier, have these stupid long unnecessary tutorials, and have been casualized / simplified to the point that they're no longer fun to play. You probably wouldn't even deny any of this, yet you still don't think that makes classic gaming better.
>>
>>322390493
>90% of most of the games were either rip-offs or unplayable bullshit that fucks you over ON PURPOSE so you can pay more money to buy their STRATEGY GUIDE that, if you play the game without it, will make it virtually unbeatable

>lel 90's kids legitimately believes that video games were better back in the day

go cry in a corner
>>
>>322405376
>These games are a joke compared to the ones I listed.
You listed a series of platformers and one RPG.

That list of releases has genres across the board. FPS, character-action, survival horror, point-and-click, RPG, rhythm, open-world, 2D and 3D platformers, TPS, strategy, etc.

Quality is another discussion altogether, but 2015 alone has more variety than the entire SNES library (which in part is due to limited hardware).

>even though games are noticeably easier
Play harder games. They do exist. Alternatively, this is because you're an adult instead of a dumb kid and also play games regularly.
>have these stupid long unnecessary tutorials
In lieu of a long instruction manual
>and have been casualized / simplified to the point that they're no longer fun to play
Opinion

Really, all I'm getting from you is "it was better when I was a kid!" You're just getting old and grumpy, anon. Things are different and you don't like it.
>>
>not remembering all the never ending sidescrolling platformers and top down shooters

OP go back to your le 90's kids circlejerk of 9gag
>>
File: 1354347278250.jpg (30 KB, 480x394) Image search: [Google]
1354347278250.jpg
30 KB, 480x394
>>322390493
>videogames in the 90's
>the decline of challenging games from the arcades begins
>shitty movie tie-ins start thanks to 3D
>rehashes and endless sequels already being made
>3D collectathons with furry mascots reign supreme
>dudebros appeared thanks to PS1 pushing boring realism sports games
>horrors of early 3D all over the place
>hundreds of shovelware thanks to Sony
>beginning of indie garbage thanks to Sony's Net Yaroze
>autism grows in our youth at a rapid rate thanks to Pokemon
>the RPG genre is sullied thanks to trash like Final Fantasy, Mana series, etc.

fast forward 2015
>plenty of unique IPs still coming out
>VR on the horizon
>way less shovelware getting exposure thanks to high pay thresholds on marketing
>graphics bar continuously raised significantly thanks to Battlefront
>fantastic art direction reigns supreme (Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Battlefront, etc)
>quality games getting recognition over indie furry garbage (e.g. Witcher 3 wins GOTY, Undertale wins nothing)
>devs more or less have mastered good environmental design now
>open world and first person games continue to be the most popular genres, as they should be
>true RPGs making a recent comeback thanks to crowdfunding
>good hardware is more and more affordable, and luxury hardware like 4K monitors, surround sound, etc. makes playing vidya more insanely enjoyable than ever before

tl;dr you can make any time frame look good, or bad, it all depends on how much of a faggot whiner you are.
>>
>>322404382
>recently
hello newfriend
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.