[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys think Bethesda will let Obsidian make another Fallout?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 25
File: obsidian-entertainment-logo.jpg (22 KB, 530x165) Image search: [Google]
obsidian-entertainment-logo.jpg
22 KB, 530x165
Do you guys think Bethesda will let Obsidian make another Fallout? And how much better do you think the series would be if Obsidian maintained it?
>>
Considering their last good game was a meme game, don't have much trust in them anymore.
>>
if it is made it will be exponentially better
i don't know if obsidian would want to though
bethesda can be hueg cunts
>>
>>322378909
I don't know about this meme argument. I think it's pretty empty.
>>
>>322379090
He's talking about Pillars of Eternity and he's wrong. Ignore the retards if you're thinking of staying here.
>>
didn't they get screwed out of royalties the first time round because of metacritic or something?

so I doubt they'd want to
>>
>>322379210
I've been here for too long to start ignoring regular posters now.
>>
How would they even implement a proper dialogue system?

They'd only be given like a year to make it and Fallout 4 is so fundamentally broken that it probably just wouldn't work
>>
>>322379531
They weren't screwed, they had a target and they didn't meet it
>>
>>322379531
>what is business
Both Obsidian and Beth said they'd like to work together again at some point.
>>
>>322378726
The Obsidian that made NV is not the same Obsidian that we have today.
>>
Fallout 4 hasn't even got it's first DLC yet
>>
>>322378726
what do you mean "let?" fo4 was a fucking flop and bethesda will probably auction off the ip
>>
>>322379715
>How would they even implement a proper dialogue system?
are you retarded? modders easily did that without the creation kit. all obsidian would need to do is write and record varied dialogue. easy enough
>>
>>322380014
but everyone says NV is better than fallout 3, so that sounds like a bullshit deal
>>
>>322379715
It's the same engine as Skyrim so they would just port over the dialogue system from there.
>>
I hope Obsidian will find some better publishers than Bethesda. New WOD game under Paradox would be nice.
>>
>>322380014
They were screwed, Bethesda pushed out an old build with bugs that had already been fixed and Obsidian was punished for it.
>>
>>322380183
>$750 million revenue in 1 day
>flop
>>
>>322380014
>make a game
>don't get paid royalties because of an arbitrary deadline
>>
File: 1449688043005.jpg (15 KB, 287x277) Image search: [Google]
1449688043005.jpg
15 KB, 287x277
>>322380183
>fo4 was a fucking flop
>Witcher 3 faggots actually believe this
>>
>>322380041
source?
>>
>>322380241
>they'd use some old dialogue system made by bethesda
yeah, more than likely not
>>
>>322380356
>it sounds like a lot of money to me so it must be a success
>>
>>322380246
Obsidian has never had a consistent publisher, right? Probably because in every instance except Dungeon Siege 3 but nobody fucking played that they got fucked over in some way.
>>
>>322380304
proof?
>>
>>322380301
>this revisionism
I like New Vegas but you're full of shit and it's entirely Obsidian's fault it was so broken. People latch on to Bethesda being QA as an excuse but QA only reports bugs, they don't fix them and anyone in QA can tell you how bugs they pass on to the devs still show up on launch. Yeah it'd be better if they had more time but that's what they agreed to by contract.
>>
>>322380532
It is literally a box where you pick options and can press tab to make people shut the fuck up, it's the best gamebreyo dialogue system.
>>
>>322380014
>They weren't screwed
do you know anything about how zenimax handles contract devs? go do some research on dishonored's development history and what led to the cancellation of prey 2. I'll give you the tl;dr version here just to be nice; bethesda, the publisher, sabotages devs they contract to make games. there's a reason why arkane started dishonored as freelance dev then got bought by zenimax at the end of the game's development.
>>
>>322380728
Yes that is exactly what that means
success =/= quality
>>
>>322380780
shut the fuck up, redditor
>>
>>322380728

it sold millions of copies. You call that a flop?

I don't know what more you expect. 10 billion units sold?

You're a fucking idiot with unrealistic expectations. Either that, or you're a New Vegas fanboy who's mad as fuck about Fallout 4 in general
>>
>>322380780
>it's entirely Obsidian's fault it was so broken
yeah bro, it's obshitian's fault they only had a year to make a game and it's obshitian's fault they were forced to used gamebryo.
>>
>>322380763
just google it
>>
fallout new vegas is trash and so is obsidian entertainment
>>
>>322381121
>a year

I love how their dev time gets shorter every time.
>>
>Tying royalties to a fucking metacritic score
Pretty cruel Bethesda
>>
File: 1418706563960.png (152 KB, 559x556) Image search: [Google]
1418706563960.png
152 KB, 559x556
Pillars of Eternity sucked

South Park sucked

Obsidian is trash
>>
>>322381121
They had 18 months not a year and they had all of Fallout 3's assets to use and an engine.
>>
So Obsidian's bonus was tied to a certain score being reached on meta-critic?

Sounds fair. Especially fair given that vidya journalism is not infamous for it's corruption and is so utterly above reproach it makes Captain America look like Dorito Pope.
>>
>>322381320
It was a bonus not royalties. Big difference.
>>
>>322381329
Alpha Protocol was pretty great.

FNV was GOAT.

Obsidian is alright.
>>
File: 1443995889680.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1443995889680.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>322381478
>Alpha Protocol was pretty great.
>>
>>322380752
Considering the fact that they are hired goons and have to make sequels for well-known series using lots of different engines and assets, it is harder to blame them for bugs and fuck ups in their games.
They also have decent writers. Well, used to.
>>
File: qeq.jpg (51 KB, 474x595) Image search: [Google]
qeq.jpg
51 KB, 474x595
>>322381478
>Alpha Protocol was pretty great
>FNV was GOAT
>>
>>322378726
Obsidian is dying anon, they most likely will never make an AAA title again. They'll finish their mobile shit, f2p game, poe expansion pack and after that, they will most likely shut their doors.
>>
>obsidian takes on contracts knowing they have short time limits
>b-but it's the publisher's fault!

Funny part is people like Avellone are completely honest about parts of development that they essentially wasted time on and could've been spent better elsewhere.
>>
File: laughing bros.jpg (99 KB, 1035x697) Image search: [Google]
laughing bros.jpg
99 KB, 1035x697
>>322381629
>>322381689
>>
>>322381727
What happened?
Did PoE not make the bank it needed to and they still have no publishers that want to go near them?
Why did Chris leave?
>>
>>322380354
Almost succeeding is still failing you mongrel.
>>
>>322381756
Yep. I like Obsidian and how they are willing to admit their past mistakes. Really it's the fans that do all the deflecting.
>>
Is there any reason they wouldn't? Obsidian probably has enough interest in them after New Vegas to pump the fans for money without Bethesda needing to do any work for it, is there really any risk to Bethesda to allow it?
>>
>>322381858
PoE was a massive flop actually, and rightly so. They no longer have the resources to make a new game and most of the senior staff have already left.
>>
>>322382035
Both parties are open to it. It might happen since Obsidian has multiple teams working on different games to stay afloat.
>>
Of course Bethesda would want them to make another Fallout game.

They got good sales, pocketed most of the cash, were lucky enough to have RPS fuck them over enough to keep the bonus, and were successful overall.

The real question is, would Obsidian ever partner up with Bethesda again? And I don't think they would, considering F:NV not getting them their bonus almost closed the company, if not for the PoE kickstarter doing good.
>>
>>322382138
>Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart has a keen interest in continuing their collaboration with Bethesda, and wasn’t afraid to say it: “Oh, we’d love to do Fallout: New Vegas 2.
>>
>>322382442
>Oh, we’d love to do Fallout: New Vegas 2

Probably because they don't have a single successful IP of their own

>PLEASE GIVE US SOMETHING
>>
>>322382442
Oh shit for real?

Well that would be cool. I honestly didn't expect for them to actually be interested in it again, but if they are, get that shit started.
>>
>>322381858
>>322382107

This basically. Obsidian's shut down is inevitable, probably in the late 2016 - early 2017.
>>
>>322382720
>No Chris Avellone
Dropped
>>
The developer doesn't change the fact how shit your game is. All Fallout games are boring mess filled with garbage meme references and glitches. Obsidian developing the game won't make the series any less shitty.
>>
>>322382887

Avellone couldn't save Shillars of Eternity

his presence does not make or break a game
>>
>>322382887
Well I'm kinda okay with that.

Dude said if he got a hold of Fallout again he'd nuke the entire West Coast again because he hates the idea of the world developing again, and considers Fallout to be about surviving after a nuclear war, not recovering after a nuclear war.
>>
>>322383001
His presence was barely there at all, he only wrote two characters who felt massively out of place at best, it's dishonest to even credit him for that game at all considering how insignificant his contribution was.

If only, maybe the story wouldn't have been such a god-damned disaster.
>>
>>322378726
I'd rather Bethesda just lay down and give up, just hand TES6 over to Obsidian and see what they can do with Elder Scrolls lore.

Maybe then we'll get a proper Elder Scrolls RPG with a world as interesting as Morrowind.
>>
>>322383158
>and considers Fallout to be about surviving after a nuclear war, not recovering after a nuclear war.
Wait, wut? Isn't it entirely the other way around? Hence FO3 feeling so out of place acting like an apocalypse survival, with NV's struggle for power and concern over the next step in shaping the world and which direction to take it was so much more interesting?
>>
File: 1426379878413.png (135 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1426379878413.png
135 KB, 900x900
>>322383281
>just hand TES6 over to Obsidian

are you fucking insane
>>
>>322382990
it'll add more mission variety other than KILL LOOT RETURN
>>
>>322383517
Like what? Getting handjobs from a robot?
>>
>>322383461
3's setting was more interesting, it's just that NV had more well-written characters and a better-written story.
>>
>>322383651
>3's setting was more interesting
Pfff
>>
>>322383517
>Mission variety
>Fallout game

choose one
>>
>>322383461
Yeah. Thing is, Avellone is stuck in Fallout 1 nostalgia or something, and doesn't want that.

To make it more obvious, Chris considers Ulysses to be his view on how the world should be.
>>
>>322383281
I hate this fucking "world as interesting as Morrowind" meme. Look you idiot, Morrowind is literally the only place in Tamriel that has a different look to your generic fantasy, the rest of Tamriel is mostly like every other fantasy world. If you don't like it deal with it.
>>
>>322383651
>better-written story.

>Go find the guy who shot me

this is better than

>find dad and slowly uncover the truth about his water purification efforts

BRAVO OBSIDIAN
>>
>>322383814
It's about the journey, not the destination. And New Vegas' journey was way better.
>>
>>322383736
Fallout 1 is the best Fallout game so he's right.

>>322383740
Well that's not true either but Morrowind as a place is more magical than other places in Tamriel.
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 900x900
>>322379090
Yeah, so was New Vegas
>>
>>322380207
>Implying a small niche of people with common sense and sense of quality counts for the normie AAA game playing masses
>>
>>322383281
Bethesda can do whatever they want with Elder Scrolls, it literally is their child. It started as their fucking D&D homebrew setting.
>>
>>322378726
I doubt they even have the capabilities for it.

Like, before Pillars of Eternity they were so close to bankruptcy they had to let go of almost everyone. They were preparing to close down, while betting all their cash on the kickstarter.

Now I think PoE got them some bank. But not enough to start making AAA titles again. Hell, even Avellone left, and that can't be a good sign.
>>
>>322380183
Nice and subtle
>>
Do people really think New Vegas had any better story than 3 or 4? Seriously how, someone explain me. I have played all 3 games and NV story felt the most bland.
>>
>>322384140
Wouldn't they get some funding from Bethdesa too?
>>
>>322383483
Here's how you make TES6 good.

>Give the story to Kirkblade, give him as many drugs as he needs, but tell him he can't use his self-insert fanfic and has to set it before the whole space stuff happens
>Put it in a new area with a bunch of unexplored shit, like Black Marsh or Hammerfell
>Make a good combat system where fighting doesn't feel like you're either swinging fast, swinging medium, or swinging hard, nothing else
>>
>>322384201
which had the best story?
>>
>>322383814
>guy shoots you in the head because he wants something you have, you survive

>your dad, who's lived in the vault since you can remember, suddenly feels the urge to go out and revive an ancient prototype he's been working on, you resort to murdering fellow vault dwellers when all they wanted to do was interrogate you

I don't know anon
FNV makes more sense
>>
File: fallout lelvegas.png (219 KB, 1505x1398) Image search: [Google]
fallout lelvegas.png
219 KB, 1505x1398
Friendly reminder
>>
File: 1413946537671.gif (1 MB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
1413946537671.gif
1 MB, 280x210
>>322384023
>>
>>322384226
True. But it's hard to completely rebuild a company. And that is if Bethesda were willing to gamble on them.
>>
>>322384023
Let's not kid ourselves. 3 and NV were both empty. It wouldn't make sense for a wasteland and desert to be bustling with life.
>>
>>322383483
I don't understand this "Obsidian would fuck up Elder Scrolls" meme, care to give an actual reason?
>>
>>322383740
That's not really what I mean though, because yes a lot of tamriel is pretty regular looking, but you can still do a lot to make a generic themed fantasy interesting in it's own unique way rather than... just not.

>>322383483
Are YOU insane? What the fuck has Bethesda even done with Elder Scrolls in recent years that has made that series better or more interesting? world/lore wise

Everything has been in service of making that series more and more watered down and like every other modern fantasy RPG that is only vaguely interesting but has nothing worth digging deep to find.
>>
>>322381372
>vidya journalism is infamous for it's corruption
Literally only on /v/.
>>
>>322380014
By one point. Meanwhile Fallout 4 got a lower Metacritic score than New Vegas. Go fuck yourself Bethshit drone.
>>
>>322384201
People prefer New Vegas because you can be on any side.

In Fallout 3, you HAD to side against the Enclave. You couldn't do anything else without losing (Giving Autumn the code just has you die).

4 did better on that, but it has less role playing potential because you can't really be a bad guy. The closest you get is siding with the Institute, but even then, you don't really get to do "Nuke Megaton" levels of evil shit.
>>
>>322384465

I didn't say they would fuck it up. You are making up your own "memes"

My point is Bethesda would never hand their flagship series to anyone else, ESPECIALLY not for a main series entry
>>
>>322383740
>From the shore it is hard to tell what is city and what is Palace, for it all rises from the islands of the lake towards the sky in a stretch of gold. Whole neighborhoods rest on the jeweled bridges that connect the islands together. Gondolas and river-ships sail along the watery avenues of its flooded lower dwellings. Moth-priests walk by in a cloud of ancestors; House Guards hold exceptionally long daikatanas crossed at intersections, adorned with ribbons and dragon-flags; and the newly arrived Western legionnaires sweat in the humid air. The river mouth is tainted red from the tinmi soil of the shore, and river dragons rust their hides in its waters. Across the lake the Imperial City continues, merging into the villages of the southern red river and ruins left from the Interregnum.

>The Eastern people of Cyrodiil relish in garish costumes, bizarre tapestries, tattoos, brandings, and elaborate ceremony. Closer to the wellspring of civilization, they are more given to philosophy and the evolution of ancient traditions. The Nibenese find the numinous in everything around them, and their different cults are too numerous to mention (the most famous are the Cult of the Ancestor-Moth, the Cult of Heroes, the Cult of Tiber Septim, and the Cult of Emperor Zero). To the Colovians, the ancestor worship and esoteric customs of the East can often be bizarre. Akaviri dragon-motifs are found in all quarters, from the high minaret bridges of the Imperial City to the paper hako skiffs that villagers use to wing their dead down the rivers. Thousands of workers ply the rice fields after the floodings, or clear the foliage of the surrounding jungle in the alternate seasons. Above them are the merchant-nobility, the temple priests and cult leaders, and the age-old aristocracy of the battlemages. The Emperor watches over them all from the towers of the Imperial City, as dragons circle overhead.

All retconned out in Oblivion with a wave of "a wizard did it"
>>
>>322383814
>>Go find the guy who shot me
Technically it's more just "you were shot. Well, off you go." You don't HAVE to investigate it. The storyline will just inevitably lead you to Benny when whichever faction you cosy up with tells you to go for him.

But that's RPG's for you, find your own damn motivation, lazy. "You were shot, I wonder why" is a far more evocative opening that "this is your entire life story, these are the kind of people you're friends with, your father is exactly this kind of person and you really love him. Now go out and potentially nuke a town, because clearly that's something that falls within the scope of this totally open character and won't feel jarring at all."
>>
>>322382887
J. Sawyer is a million times the writer/dev than Avellone.
>>
>>322384201
I liked NV's because it wasn't as "railroaded" as the others.

A linear quest line is the most boring parts of all the Bethesda(and NV) games. Granted I haven't played all the much F4 since I found it kinda boring.

As you can imagine Dawnguard was really fucking hard to push my way through since it was essentially one big awful main quest.
>>
>>322384539

Meanwhile, Skyrim got a higher metacritic than anything Obsidian ever produced.

The bottom line is: metacritic means shit and only retards use it as an argument.
>>
File: fo4vsskyrim.jpg (2 MB, 4240x1344) Image search: [Google]
fo4vsskyrim.jpg
2 MB, 4240x1344
Compare the quest list from Skyrim with the quest list from FO4 and you can tell that Bethesda does not GIVE A FUCK about Fallout.
>>
>>322382887
He didn't have a huge role in the making of New Vegas, just the DLCs.

Fallout New Vegas was Josh Sawyer's thing. and John Gonzalez who was the lead writer

Obsidian has since lost Avellone and Gonzalez but they have Tim Cain now and I would like to see him get a shot at a new Fallout game, seeing as he is the sole man responsible for the franchise coming into existence in the first place
>>
>>322378726
Obsidian can't make good games.
When will you faggots realize this.
>>
>>322384539
Wait didn't New Vegas and 4 got the same metacritic score?
>>
>>322378726
I seriously hope not. FO:NV wasn't any better than FO3 and its fanboys are really obnoxious.

Just because the shitty writing in NV is pretentious doesn't make it any better than the shitty writing in 3.

But OMG, I have so many choices in NV! So you'd be happier if instead of giving you a turd-burger, I instead gave you the choice between a turd-burger, a shit-sandwich, and a poo-dog?
>>
File: 13555424812.jpg (217 KB, 729x1087) Image search: [Google]
13555424812.jpg
217 KB, 729x1087
>>322378726
not after the literal shambles that was New Vegas no. Good riddance.
>>
>>322384757

Fuck off.

Sawyer is an autistic SJW that never worked in a single good game.
>>
>>322378726
They're already working on it

But nobody else on /v/ has seen J.E. Sawyer's twitter recently
>>
>>322384973
>Meanwhile, Skyrim got a higher metacritic than anything Obsidian ever produced.
Okay? We're not talking about Skyrim here.

>The bottom line is: metacritic means shit and only retards use it as an argument.
Like your precious Bethshitsta Softcocks?
>>
>>322385083
When they start only making bad games.
>>
>>322385148
but I have

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/671885791946141697
>>
>>322384981

Do you realize that comparing the absolute number of quests in two different games means nothing, because one can have way bigger/more complex quests than the other?
>>
>>322385097
Yeah they were the same, my bad. Point still stands though.
>>
>>322384981
Skyrim didn't even have any fun quests

it was always
>oh go walk the the furthest corner of the map, and go into this dungeon and get past the traps and the draugr and bring me back this thing from the cave.
>bring it back
>oh thanks
>>
For anyone wondering, Obsidian is currently NOT working on a Fallout game but they said "we don't know what we would do in the future". This is from a reddit post.

So yes Obsidian might make a Fallout game in the future if Bethesda allows so.
>>
>>322384994
>Tim Cain

That shitter sank Troika games

it would be beneficial to keep him AWAY from any potential project
>>
>>322385512
So. Same as Fallout 4 then?
>>
File: Fallout.png (125 KB, 647x462) Image search: [Google]
Fallout.png
125 KB, 647x462
>>322385142
Laughed to be honest family
>>
>>322384757
Avellone's absence and Sawyers prevalence in PoE has already proven otherwise anon.
>>
>>322385476

And there are absolutely no complex, big or memorable quests in Fallout 4, go suck a dick.
>>
>>322385653
>made Fallout
>made VTMB
>made Arcanum
I disagree t b h f a m
>>
>>322385369
>he shits on bethesda for using a shit metric to measure how well the game is
>points that Skyrim has a fucking high metacritic, implying that not only metacritic is shit but also skyrim

you call him a bethesda shill
where's your reading comprehension?
>>
File: toddtheliar.jpg (77 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
toddtheliar.jpg
77 KB, 1440x1080
>>322385476
>>322385702

It's a matter of technology.

They have an ability to tell a story that can expand up to 300 hours. Why the fuck does the game feel shorter than not only Skyrim, but also Fallout 2?

Seriously, this game feels shorter than Fallout 2 and New Vegas. That's a crime in itself.
>>
>>322385840
That means if Obsidian tries to make another Fallout game it will get rated more low.
>Fallout 3 91
>New Vegas 84

>Fallout 4 84
>New Vegas 2 ?
>>
File: 1412894049403.png (152 KB, 340x426) Image search: [Google]
1412894049403.png
152 KB, 340x426
>>322384327
>even the voice acting was terrible they would pronounce "ceaser" in different eays

This was a nice little detail though, with NCR and civilians saying it one way and Legion saying it another. How are people so stupid?
>>
File: 1451722143163.jpg (133 KB, 1440x1057) Image search: [Google]
1451722143163.jpg
133 KB, 1440x1057
>>322378909
>>
>>322378726
they'll never touch the IP ever again.
>>
New Vegas sold a lot, and how their contract was meant they barely saw any of that money. I don't know if they'd make the same mistake again since they nearly went bankrupt
>>
>>322386063
Or you know, maybe Fallout: NV came out after 3 and people assumed it was just a spin-off game, automatically dismissing it/giving it a harsher score? Or did it ever occur to you Fallout 4 is just a shitty game?
>>
Who cares about Fallout bring on the new WoD/VtM game.
>>
>>322386063
nope since even IGN acknowledges new vegas as the best fallout title

bethesda has had its run but not anymore, when 9 out of 10 reviews mention the elephant in the room (witcher 3) you know bethesda is fucked unless they get their standards higher
>>
>>322384043

>Gamebryo
>Quality

Okay normie casual
>>
>>322386053
Fallout 4 is much longer than New Vegas and is almost as long as vanilla Skyrim. What the fuck are you talking about? My first playthrough for New Vegas clocked in at 70 hrs, Skyrim - 130 hrs, Fallout 4 - 120 hrs.
>>
>>322385512
>Turn off quest markers
>"Journal" (Objective) says find x
>Ask around about her
>nothing
>Talk to related NPCs
>nothing

>She's in a new town under a new name and your character literally knows who she is immediately despite never meeting her and there was actually absolutely no in-game way to learn about her because the quest marker would just point to that town and be like "Here." with no context.

That was my breaking point in Skyrim, I was so lenient on that game and I enjoyed some things about it, but that moment was just such a what the fuck has Bethesda come to moment.
>>
Don't know about Obsidian but have you guys heard of Fallout Lonestar?
Community made free mod which will have the size of a Fallout new vegas DLC, set in Texas.
It doesn't seem that it's going to come out anytime soon
>>
>>322386306
>Fallout 4 is just a shitty game?

Only New Vegas fans on /v/ say this

just like they said about Fallout 3 before it

Quit sucking J. Sawyer's SJW penis
>>
>>322386327
Why would they make one? They don't have the IP.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (71 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
71 KB, 1280x720
>>322386452
>implying Catherine wasn't great
>>
>>322384757
Needed Avellone's autism to balance his autism out
>>
>>322386665
No White Wolf got bought by a company who actually wants to make games with those IPs and immediately hinted at Obsidian, so get excited.
>>
>>322386665
Paradox has the license to WoD and VtM (but not the game Bloodlines) and retweeted Obsidian's tweet about them making a game with the license.
>>
>>322386541
>Texas
>the size of a Fallout new vegas DLC

Fucking dropped
>>
>>322386579
No Bethshit drone. I actually had a lot of fun with Fallout 3. 4 is a regression in almost every sense with the worst dialogue system I've ever seen in my life, and is one of the most poorly optimized games yet to boot.
>>
>>322386541
I guess it will have some retarded story involving the Brotherhood of Steel, Enclave, and Super Mutants?
>>
>>322386820
>>322386821
Sadly Paradox is for the most part a terrible publisher. Their only worth is their grand strategy games.
>>
>>322382887
He's a freelancer now. People like to think there was a fallout between him and Obsidian, but in one interview that asked "would you agree to work at X studio?" he said any full-time is impossible right now for personal reasons. Not to mention he's one of the founders of Obsidian.
>>
>>322386306
I don't think Fallout 4 is shitty game, it is better than 3 for me, but still it got rated low. NV is considered the best modern Fallout game and is rated at 84. I just don't know what to think about this.
>>
>>322378726
I think it's better that Bethesda makes the frameworks to the games, and maintain the series, at least as opposed to Obsidian soloing the franchise.

Obsidian is at its best working off of other people's shit. Ask them to develop something from scratch, and it's often a buggy or unpolished mess. Unfortunately, when they build on other games, they often get shafted on time, like with KOTOR2 and NV.

Look at Alpha Protocol. They made that one from scratch, and it took way longer to make than it should've. It was a great experience, and I love it, but the gameplay is broken.

I'd love for them to make another Fallout game, and IIRC they said they'd want to, but with Avellone gone it likely won't be as good compared to 4 as NV was to 3.
>>
>>322386845
>a regression in almost every sense

It adds several entirely new features to the series. You might notice if you would shut the fuck up about your precious quests for a moment
>>
>>322385147
Yeah, the gun nut who refused to apologize for references to rape in NV is total sjw
>>
>>322387025
Load of shit. Pillars of Eternity wasn't buggy or broken on release.
>>
>>322386975
If they want Obsidian to do WoD games, that's enough.
>>
File: 134849859622.jpg (51 KB, 562x359) Image search: [Google]
134849859622.jpg
51 KB, 562x359
>>322384140
>Like, before Pillars of Eternity they were so close to bankruptcy they had to let go of almost everyone. They were preparing to close down, while betting all their cash on the kickstarter.

They were so close they literally had BANKRUPTCY marked on their company calendar. Urquhart had to fire like 30 something people just to stay afloat.
>>
File: Dial02.jpg (45 KB, 940x545) Image search: [Google]
Dial02.jpg
45 KB, 940x545
>>322386478

I said it FEELS shorter.

Like, I feel so unsatisfied finishing Fallout 4 even with mods. There is something completely wrong with this game that makes it completely unsatisfactory compared to previous Fallout games.

At least with Skyrim you get to explore more shit especially when there are things like minor factions (The Dark Brotherhood and The Companions) and College of Winterhold.

Whereas here, I feel like there's only the main quest (Minutemen, Institute, BoS, Railroad), a companion quest, maybe "The Atom Cats", that crazy guy in Salem and nothing else.

It's so unsatisfactory that it makes you feel like you're playing a much more shorter game than Skyrim and New Vegas.
>>
>>322386975
Not really. Paradox whores out their own games for DLC, but are otherwise alright and will publish weird shit.
>>
File: 1418197417817.gif (2 MB, 400x226) Image search: [Google]
1418197417817.gif
2 MB, 400x226
>>322387286
>the main quest (Minutemen, Institute, BoS, Railroad)

You're putting all four factions, and their quests, under "main quest"?
>>
>>322387050
What are these features you speak of? Skyrim style legendary weapon drops? Weapon modding, even though it's inferior to NV's modding system? Dumbed down Minecraft-esque settlement builders? Voice actor for the player character? Also not once did I mention quests, simply because it's a non argument NV has far superior quest design compared to "Fallout" 4.
>>
>>322378726
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpaQpyU_QiM
>>
>>322384327
>that comment about writing

I swear to god, most people can't even tell bad writing from good these days. Even supposed RPG fans.
>>
File: 947791052.jpg (75 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
947791052.jpg
75 KB, 720x720
>>322387653

You have to do quests for all the 4 factions just to finish the main story.

Just admit that the story and quest design is fucking shit, Todd.
>>
>>322387216
Fair enough.

Just expect 400 different nickle and diming DLC and shitty marketing.

>>322387220
Didn't they say only like 6 employees?

I feel sad for all the Interplay veterans. All they want to do is make fun RPG's and AA games but there's just such a small market for them,

>>322387463
I mean. I do commend them for actually publishing indie style games and more obscure war games. Not to mention giving modders the chance to make real products out of their IP's. But lately they just haven't been all that good to me.

Especially their development studio
>>
I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda implements this new shitty voiced protagonist dialogue system in their next Elder Scrolls game. Seriously, do they ever listen to criticism? Because everyone hates the dialogue system in Fallout 4.
>>
>>322380910
>bethesda, the publisher, sabotages devs they contract to make games.

But why? That makes no goddamn sense.
>>
>>322388332
It's also gonna have that wonky crafting system. It's like the only new feature that people really took to.
>>
>>322388332
It doesn't matter because there's no going back after you have a fully voice acted MC. You get mouth breathers used to not reading and it's all downhill from there.
>>
>>322387856
I don't even know what good writing is in a game, it seems to be such an arbitrary definition now

All I care about in an RPG is player choice and New Vegas has that in spades and that's why I like it so much (and the originals)
>>
>>322380202
>modders easily did that without the creation kit
Oh shit, I haven't played in months, where's the dialog mod that turns it back into an RPG instead of Press Any Button To Continue Conversation?
>>
>>322388501
>tfw couldn't play my usual latino gunslinger which I always do for a first run

They should at least have had more than one fucking voice per gender. Christ. Even fucking DA:I had 2 or 3.
>>
File: hiss.gif (2 MB, 261x202) Image search: [Google]
hiss.gif
2 MB, 261x202
>>322387867
Fucking gross. Why do you have this saved?
>>
>>322388332
It will. Up until Fallout 4, Bethesda was the only AAA developer in the industry that had a silent protagonist and required players to read their dialogue input. I didn't realize it until Fallout 4 had the voiced protagonist. There's a reason the dialogue wheel has shortened sentences instead of the full dialogue and that's to cut down on the amount of reading Jamal and Tyrone has to do. Bethesda did their hardest to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I imagine their next game will be the same.
>>
>>322389225
But the thing is it didn't appeal anyone. Seriously I haven't heard a single person saying they like the new dialogue system in Fallout 4. Even the normies hate it.
>>
>>322389225
Same shit in W3 mate, all the sentences are butchered and cut to as few words as possible to cut down on the amount of recording they had to do.

This is the main reason why people keep saying NO to voice-acting in RPGs, because it limits the writing severely.
>>
>>322389671
That's just how Bethesda rolls. Ever since Todd took over, every game they've made has been more dumbed down than the last. They alienate their old fanbase in the process but they gain a lot more new fans at the same time, who in turn get pissed off for the same reason when Bethesda's next game comes out. Bethesda does not give a single fuck about their fans. They are an incredibly scummy company.
>>
>>322388332
>>322389225
I said this months ago back when Fallout 4 first had no skills and a voiced protagonist
The next Elder Scrolls game is going to have you only play as like Imperial, Nord, Breton or Redguard and they'll all have the same voice actor and there will be like 10 main quest missions

Does Bethesda not realize that making the protagonist voiced completely fucks the modding community for story mods and thus brings down the longevity of the game?
>>
>>322389671

idk, 2/2 normies I know don't mind it and don't get why I'm not interested in playing it. And one of them is barely even a normie.
The other one is so normie that when I brought up Bethesda/Obsidian, he didn't even understand how it could make any difference to a game if it's made by an entirely different group of people. That's not really related, I just still can't believe anyone could be so oblivious.
>>
>>322390438
>Does Bethesda not realize that making the protagonist voiced completely fucks the modding community for story mods and thus brings down the longevity of the game?
They probably do. They just don't care. Look how they delayed the release of the SDK for no reason even though the game was in development for at least 4 years, and they use the SDK themselves to develop the game, so it is finished and sitting on some dickhead's harddrive but they delayed it anyway. They did the same thing with Skyrim. Just a big 'fuck you' to the modding community, the people who are the only reason Skyrim is still one of the most played games on Steam right now. Not to mention how bad the PC port is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmWrgwde7O8
>>
>>322378726
No, and even if did it would have to use what fallout 4 used, so the weapon customization that is all sorts of stupid. The up down left right style dialogue.
On top of that they would need to use Bethesda's janky as hell engine.
I don't want any of that, I would rather it just dies.
>>
>>322391375
Is this what getting old and jaded feels like because why is all this new shit so -bad-
>>
File: 1448581771168.jpg (424 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448581771168.jpg
424 KB, 1920x1080
>even fucking tor has more dialogue options than fallout 4

What happened
>>
>>322391845
When you get older you can see through lies and bullshit easier. There are lots of good developers out there. Bethesda isn't one of them.
Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.