[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Indie-trash metroidvanias
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: vania.png (84 KB, 947x231) Image search: [Google]
vania.png
84 KB, 947x231
Which one is the better Metroid/Castlevania?
>>
>>322346814

Valdis Story > Axiom Verge

Axiom Verge is pretty average, might as well play romhacks from metroidconstruction as they are way better.

Valdis Story is a metroidvania that focus on combat, which is extremely good. You won't be able to play castlevanias after that because your tastes will be refined to another level. The exploration is kinda weak, you get rewarded with boss fights instead of items/upgrades (which is fine for me, but not everyone is up to that), so if you're looking for that, do the same shit i've said above, grab some Super Metroid romhacks.

Overall they're pretty different styles. Axiom Verge is a traditional metroidvania while Valdis is more of a 2d combat game with a shit ton of replayability (4 characters that plays different and a randomized boss arena in which you can face up to three bosses at the same time).
>>
>>322347945
Thanks senpai. I think i'll go with Valdis Story.
I feared that Axiom Verges artstyle would strain my eyes anyways. I'm not good with low bit on big screens.
>>
>>322347945
environmental station alpha
>>
valdis story is more metroidvania, axiom verge is more metroid-like

so in the end I wouldn't really compare them

also I recommend environmental station alpha, it even got recently updated with a new post-game area
>>
>>322347945
You forgot to mention the bit where Valdis Story is pretty shit.
It's combat is nothing that special and doesn't excuse mediocre platforming, lousy exploration and horridly done hard difficulty.

You can get good 2D combat in other places, so no need to eat a shitty metroidvania with it.
>>
>>322348337
my nigga. i'm stuck tho. all those drones are alive now and they rock my shit.
>>
Valdis story was pretty good.
>>
>>322348612

>It's combat is nothing that special

Pretty good for a 2d, obviously if you compare to the gods of the action game like Dark Souls, DMC or Dragon Nest, sure it pales in comparison. What do you consider some good combat or 2d combat ? Legit question.

>mediocre platforming
>horridly done hard difficulty

Literally git gud, faggot. Bet you're one of those autists that smashed your head against a specific boss while underleveled instead of exploring other areas on a fucking metroidvania game.
>>
>>322348635
try going back to the ancient ruins, specifically, from the top most entrance on the surface
>>
valdis story is not a very good game. I played most of it but the mechanics just kill it for me
>>
>>322349175
mechanics such as? elaborate family
>>
>>322349021
>Bet you're one of those autists that smashed your head against a specific boss while underleveled instead of exploring other areas on a fucking metroidvania game.
Not even talking about bosses, but the fact that every single enemy had more health than it ought to and some were just damage sponges to a point where most of the fighting was nothing but dull exercise of dodge, hit, dodge, hit, dodge, hit, dodge, hit, dodge, hit, dodge, hit, dodge, hit, continuing for way way long.

And that was with focusing on damage on levelups, so don't tell me I just boosed hp and didn't spec into damage properly.

And I did explore, all I could, not my first video game.
But when exploration is stopped every two meters because of some fucking damage sponge, it's just not fun or rewarding.
>>
Only bad thing about Valdis story is the platforming parts that require 100% accuracy. Like fuck up once or very slightly and gotta start over.
>>
>>322346814
I hate to break it to you Anon but metroidvania's are garbage whether they're AAA or indie.
>>
>>322349389

You probably put everything into strenght, which is a shitty stat (they changed it a few months ago, but it's still bad). There is also the fact accessories are huge boosts in damage and the game isn't clear about how much extra you get, so if you play without acessory or with a defensive one, you may struggle a bit.

The enemies aren't damage sponges at all, but i'll recognize that the game focus too much on RPG/numbers and has a lot of equipment so that it can overwhelm or confuse new players, making them stick with a shitty build or equipments because they don't want to screw themselves with a wrong choice.
>>
>>322346814
Axiom verge is a good game
The glitch related stuff is really cool
>>
>>322347945
>randomized
Lost me there.
>>
>>322346814
vladis story's platforming isn't solid enough for me to recommend. Neither is the combat if I'm being perfectly honest.
>>
>>322346814
Get abyss odyssey and la mulana instead
>>
>>322346814
Never played Valdis Story, but I do know Axiom Verge is a better super metroid
>>
>>322346814
Valdis Story by a mile
>>
>>322348612
holy fucking shit get good
>>322349389
your build was shit
>>
>>322346814
Axiom Verge is the sort of retro that just feels really fucking old

Like they stayed so true to feeling like an old game that they didn't include any improvements videogames have made since then
>>
i dont know why the fuck so many people playing axiom verge for a metroid kick when ESA is so much better
>>
File: La Mulana 2.jpg (132 KB, 639x549) Image search: [Google]
La Mulana 2.jpg
132 KB, 639x549
>>322350467

It's a boss rush with random bosses, so for instance you won't know which boss or bosses you will face at an specific floor

>>322350757

La Mulana is also a elder god tier game. My dick is prepared for the GOTYAY this year. Definitely a better purchase than Axiom, but it's pretty hardcore on the puzzles, which is also the majority of the game.
>>
>>322350869
like what kind of improvements besides graphics?
>>
The only negative critics for Valdis Story were by people who couldn't handle the controls (the walljump mechanics require some time to get used to) or found it too difficult even at the lowest diffs. the game is beautiful, has good music and good fights. 4 characters, a million builds, Arena mode is GOAT.
>>
>>322350705
I love both abyss Odyssey and Valdis Story but VS is just better. Only truly great thing about AO is its vs mode and absolutely no one plays it nowadays
>>
>>322350910

Not him, but i imagine that it's gameplay/mechanics related.

On Axiom Verge you just walk and jump. The only "advanced" mechanic is getting new weapons that have a different spread/angle, but it's just too gimmicky. On Super Metroid, for instance, you have speed booster, morph ball, space jump, things that changes how you fight or move through the map. On Shovel Knight, which is also muh retro pixel, you have the subweapons to keep things fresh, with the Iframes, Air Dash and Bouncing Ball (for potential insane DPS) sub weapons. Even the weapon gimmick from Plague Knight is superior to that of AV.
>>
>>322351220
Valdis is a better game but Abyss has superior combat
>>
I'm a weird dude who loves the genre but I haven't actually played neither Super Metroid nor any Castlevania

And these indie metroidvanias are actually what make the genre for me:

La Mulana -- BS puzzles, but amazing non-linearity and great music and even story

Fluidity (on Wiiware) -- nobody even knows about this game, but it's so good...

Toki Tori 2 -- awesome "metroidvania" that replaces combat challenges with puzzles and doesn't even have unlocks -- the only gates in your progression is your brain and if you know how to deal with the environment -- brilliant game design

Also from what little I played Shadow Complex is pretty cool
>>
>>322352223
That's not you being a "weird dude," that's being wilfully ignorant. Go download an emulator and play the games this genre you "love" are based on or stop pretending you "love" it.
>>
>>322351606
>On Super Metroid, for instance, you have speed booster, morph ball, space jump, things that changes how you fight or move through the map
except, you have all that shit in Axiom Verge too, just under different names
>>
>>322352473
I'm taking them in order
I've beaten Metroid and now on Metroid 2
>>
>>322350208
woah faggot, you can go suck dick somewhere else you know
>>
>>322353197
metroid 2 is kinda the black sheep of the family. there's a guy remaking it and it's shaping up really well. maybe skip 2 and come back to it when the remake is done
>>
>>322352501

http://axiom-verge.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Upgrades

The only interesting things it did was the little spider that you could teleport to it and be forced to play as it for a few rooms to get some item.

The wallhack thing that some people on /v/ really likes might as well be a key given the game design, same for the de-corruptor thing. The teleport requires 2 tap d-pad, which is obnoxious as fuck and is barely any faster than just holding a direction.

The drill was ok, it served as AV version of the morph ball bomb, but if i recall correctly there were quite a few areas with breakable walls with no hints, so you had to go full autism trying to break every corner, but this is a game deisng flaw, not a weapon/tool/upgrade flaw.
>>
>>322349389
>dodge, hit, etc.
yeah, dodge is suppose to be a last ditch effort, not something you consistently use that's why you get a limited use of them
git gud
>>
File: snap 0003.png (106 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
snap 0003.png
106 KB, 320x240
I'm tired of demos man
>>
>>322353507
there's also the bionic commando style grappling hook

combining the grappling hook and teleporting makes exploring fun as fuck.
>>
>>322346814
Never played Valdis Story, but Axiom Verge is pretty fucking cool and has some great music (and not just generic chiptune). Also has some exceptionally good style for an indie game.
>>
>>322353507
red coat = speed booster
firing drone upwards and then teleporting to him = space jump
AV has everything Metroid had, just with different tech and what not. Have you even played it?
>>
>>322353602
Been waiting on this fucking thing for so long, I'm just conceding it's completion is a myth and he'll die before it's done.
>>
>Play Environmental Station alpha
>Enjoying it
But why the FUCK are the save points and teleporters hardly together?

>Want to move to another area and save
>Best way seems to be to teleport to the only room that has both a teleporter and save in it, save then teleport to the area I'm going
>>
>>322355778
>Best way seems to be to teleport to the only room that has both a teleporter and save in it, save then teleport to the area I'm going

>defeat boss, activate some shit
>go back to tele/save room
>wall comes down just as im walking to the save point, cutting me off from it
>>
>>322353704
>there's also the bionic commando style grappling hook
>combining the grappling hook and teleporting makes exploring fun as fuck.

the grappling hook sucks though because no physics
>>
>>322346814
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNblYilPLOA
Not even listening to the commentary here; this looks incredibly slow and repetitive.
>>
Treat Valdis more like a light 2d DMC, and it feels a lot better. I just wish it was more streamlined in the beginning, trying new builds is suffering.
>>
>>322346814
Both are pretty good. AV has more similarity to Super Metroid.

Also recommednding Guacamelee, memes aside.
>>
File: 1422654863564.png (305 KB, 534x486) Image search: [Google]
1422654863564.png
305 KB, 534x486
>Playing Valdis on hard with Reina
>Beginning is easy, first boss gives a decent challenge
>Get to the sewers
>Angels proceed to thoroughly rape my tight monk butthole
Fuck, I didn't expect a spike like that.
>>
>>322346814
There are better ways and places to shill your game.
>>
Valdis
Axiom is solid, but nothing special. Valdis has some questionable choices in visuals and gameplay department, but the action itself is way better, especailly if you play as a combo-oriented character. Also features 4 distinct characters, each of which has different builds. Great soundtrack too
>>
Valdis looks too fucking weeb 4 me
I'll hop that and give a try to Axiom
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.