[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11
File: Thief 4.jpg (80 KB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
Thief 4.jpg
80 KB, 1600x800
What went wrong?
>>
Everything?
>>
>>322341743
/thread
>>
>>322341646

Nothing? It was a fun game although the ending was kindof shitty
>>
>>322341646
most of it
>>
Tiny stages, everything was prebaked animations and no rope arrows.

Also making combat viable
>>
devs have zero talent
>>
>>322341646
1. Remove everything that made the first two games great
2. Replace with Eeeeeh, press x to awesome, and loading screens
>>
File: App_erin.png (524 KB, 561x945) Image search: [Google]
App_erin.png
524 KB, 561x945
>>322341646

Thanks i need to drink bleach to get this game out of my head once again.
>>
File: Thiaf.png (185 KB, 730x858) Image search: [Google]
Thiaf.png
185 KB, 730x858
>>
>>322341646
it was casualized to hell, press X to win with a cringey plot and cringey characters.

garret looked like a redressed hipster with junkies face and was very unsympathetic for me and the main plot ended within the first few minutes because i had absolutely no motivation or desire to find out what happened to erin, as she seemed annoying and badly written. i was glad she was gone.

I HAVE SOMETHING FOR ALL YOUR AFFARIOUS NEEDS:
its really hard the only one repeating animation for merchant realistic, dynamic or at least a little bit attractive
>>
>>322341646
Consoles
>>
The PC port was good and had lots of options

the problem is that they tried applying dxhr's type of level design to the game, where you have X amount of paths where each one compliments a certain playstyle better

and a lot of other things too
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU
>>
File: nose drippings.png (123 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
nose drippings.png
123 KB, 500x332
>>322342289
>its really hard the only one repeating animation for merchant realistic, dynamic or at least a little bit attractive
>>
File: DeusExHumanRevolutionCover.png (3 MB, 1405x2194) Image search: [Google]
DeusExHumanRevolutionCover.png
3 MB, 1405x2194
What went right?
>>
>>322343430
Everything?
>>
File: baby super happy face.jpg (18 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
baby super happy face.jpg
18 KB, 320x240
>>322343029
>The PC port was good and had lots of options
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! It has less EVERYTHING than the first Thief.
>>
>>322343375
i forgot 'to make' there buddy

sorry man its day after newyears the mdma isnt entirely gone yet.
>>
>Slow Gameplay
>Forced Stealth
>Shitty grimdark setting
Literally shit.
>>
>>322343029
>the problem is that they tried applying dxhr's type of level design to the game
How's that a problem? Every scrublord loved dxhr, despite the fact it had the same awful game design as thiaf
>>
>>322343835
>Forced Stealth
In a Thief game? No wayyyyyyy
>>
>>322343430
The police station was good.
Everything else is shit.
>>
>>322344086
Deus Ex is about having different ways to solve a problem. Shooting/sneaking/hacking/persuading etc. Thief is about stealth and that's it.
>>
>>322341646
EH
>>
>>322344086

1. Deus Ex games historically emphasized the option to play levels in multiple ways, whereas Thief historically emphasized stealth with combat as a last-resort. Forcing Deus Ex's style on Thi4f was jarring enough to force more critical analysis
2. Human Revolution had good art direction and writing that consistently met a minimum level of competence. Thi4f's artstyle was bland and grey, and the writing's problems are extensive enough that they can't be adequately summarized in this one post, but two examples follow.
2a. Human Revolution's protagonist was Cyberpunk Batman. The new Garret was Victorian Batman, but this drew harsher criticism since it was an attempted reimagining of a character who was most definitely not Batman.
2b. Human Revolution's plot is motivated by a female character who we see for about the first ten minutes of the game before she disappears. Thi4f's plot is motivated by a female character who we see for about the first ten minutes of the game before she disappears, but is annoying as shit for the entire time that we see her.
3. Human Revolution was technically competent and could effectively create interesting setpieces without demonstrating the limitations of its engine. Thi4f was janky as shit and had a city-changing riot attended by four people.
>>
>>322342175

What website was this from again?
>>
>>322345159
http://sneakybastards.net/theobserver/thief-hands-on/
>>
>>322345502

Cheers
>>
>>322343430
the marketing campaign

The game is awful
>>
>>322346731
It's one of the best rpgs to come out in years senpai.
>>
>>322346906
it was good, but I wouldn't go that far
>>
So maybe slightly off-topic, but is Neon Struct any good? I remember someone in a Thief thread a couple weeks ago said it was "thief-like", and the review for it on Sneaky Bastards said it was pretty good.

Yeah I know there's a demo I could play, but I'd still like to hear more opinions, especially if it's worth picking up for 10$.
>>
Devs tried to fix the game late in development after old thief fans said thi4f looked shit.
Ended up with a semi rushed product as a result.
They tried but it wasn't enough.
>>
>>322347373
They had loads of developers extra. They started with a small team with little supervision since everyone was busy with DX. Then they made a demo and it was accepted. DX came out and SE focussed on them and brought in more people. This kind of fucked up everything to the point that the initial demo didnt work anymore (they had to disable AI). Then they had to do shit for mobile users and more action for new people and it just didnt work out well.
>>
>>322341646
EHverything
>>
Explain "eh"?
>>
>>322348263
oblivion tier reactions to seeing you trying to be stealthy
>>
>>322348263

I don't get it either, I stopped playing so fast, the game had nothing gripping about it, story or gameplay. I assume "ehh" is in the dialog somewhere.
>>
File: DMC2FrontCover.jpg (25 KB, 250x355) Image search: [Google]
DMC2FrontCover.jpg
25 KB, 250x355
>>322347373
>Devs tried to fix the game late in development
That never seems to work out.
>>
File: viHDc0m.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
viHDc0m.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>322347234

Anyone?
>>
>>322341948
>It was a fun game
No it wasn't.
>>
>>322349038
Yes it was
>>
>>322343430
Not the bug fixes for the directors cut.

Seriously, its been years, this is fucking bull shit.
>>
File: fun.jpg (157 KB, 1195x897) Image search: [Google]
fun.jpg
157 KB, 1195x897
>>322349102
Are you sure?
>>
>>322349102
No, it really wasn't. Unless you're retarded and/or don't play games.
>>
Random sperglord hate from fans

The game was good, not thief 1 or metal age good but what ever
>>
>>322347234
Yes it is pretty good, go play it.
>>
File: thief3.jpg (60 KB, 600x271) Image search: [Google]
thief3.jpg
60 KB, 600x271
>>322342289
>its really hard the only one repeating animation for merchant realistic, dynamic or at least a little bit attractive

Or, you know, don't have it in the first place? Because no matter how well made animations you see over and over and over again will get old and you'll grow tired of them. There's no need to show Garrett swiping every piece of loot he finds with a second long animation. It's the kind of shit that looks good for MUH IMMERSION aspect in pre-release videos but is just annoyance when you're playing the game proper.
>>
>>322349530
It wouldn't have been an issue if grabbing shit didn't slow you down.
>>
>mfw hallmark of old thief levels was that they were huge and open for you to fuck around in
>hallmark of new thief levels is that they're extremely linear and even further segmented by loading screens because consoles can't handle one entire level at once

Basically, Thiaf's problems were Deadly Shadows' problems amplified even further.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8pImL1FeaE
See you, space taffer...
>>
EH
EH
EH
>>
>>322349767
>those horrible analog stick based aiming motions
>those touch screen circles on the guy when he goes focus mode

Why wasnt there anyone when they put this in an internal trial saying that this is stupid. Seriously you could just make it that with focus you could instantly knock someone out
>>
>>322349530
yeah youre right i suppose, but it seems to me the actual issue is forcing the player to watch/listen to the animation going. i would be happy if the merchant im going to actually said a word and moved somehow so he doesnt have the impression of a statue.

the handgrabbing thing i didnt mind

also this >>322349841 ffs, so many thing 'FOR PLAYER IMMERSION' that actually fucked the immersion up
>>
>>322343067
>Too gamey
Jesus how fucking pretentious
>>
>>322350681
He could have worded it better but he has a good point, when you go a little out of your way and find a bunch of ammo or gold somewhere where it doesn't really make sense, before going back to the set path, it feels less like you discovered something while exploring, it feels kind of patronising.
>>
sure hope you enjoy stealing all those spoons for 10 gold and the jimmying open the window animation over and over again
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.