[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I get into Ocarina of Time? I could never really stand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: leaving64.jpg (200 KB, 800x440) Image search: [Google]
leaving64.jpg
200 KB, 800x440
How can I get into Ocarina of Time? I could never really stand it's graphics even when it came out. I want to see what all the fuss is about, but I have only ever been able to force myself to keep with it until the forest temple as an adult. Same with Majora's Mask, where I just can't stand to play the game due to the graphics of the N64 and how slow everything feels compared to LTTP or Twilight Princess. How do I turn my brain off v when not even nostalgia can make me enjoy what seems like a big pile of shit.
>>
File: 1451307849284.jpg (35 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1451307849284.jpg
35 KB, 400x400
Honestly if you can't "see what all the fuss is about," then maybe the games just aren't for you.
>>
>>322321370
Play the 3DS remasters.
>>
>>322321370
How could you not stand the graphics in 1998? They were some of the best at the time. If you're really adamant about playing OOT, play the 3DS version.
>>
>>322321370
Couldnt stand the graphics wheb it came out? Mate just go play halo 4 or some shit. You are wasting your time.
>>
I have no idea how the graphics could be so hard to deal with for you. If that's what you're playing OoT for, you're doin it wrong. OoT is loved primarily for the atmosphere and well-made dungeons. Hell, I played it for the first time in 2012 and I loved it for that. The graphics can be endearing or they can seem outdated, but I can't see them flat-out ruining the game.

I'd guess it's not for you.
>>
play the 3DS versions.
>>
>>322321578
I mean even as a teen the snes sprites looked so much better than the triangle men of the N64 zeldas. I had a nes and then got a gamecube later on. I used to not really get why people would fawn over its graphics back then. I mean MGS1 came out before Ocarina and it was way better looking with much more detailed interactive environments.

>>322321541
>>322321578
I don't really want to waste the cash on another shitty handheld after the DS and PSP. I mean I recently got a N64 just to try out alot of the games I scoffed at for looking like shit earlier in life, but I can't even tell what I'm looking at half the time. Is it all just imagination and nostalgia for people?
>>
OP again, this is the same reason why I still can't bring myself to get past the opening bit of FF7. It just looks like irredeemable shit. I know they are about the remake it and I hear it will further ruin it, but why couldn't why have just skipped the bad early learning phase of 3d. All these games feel like cheap steam sale games people gift you as jokes and yet they are always lauded as the best games of all time.
>>
Because these games with shit graphics had motherfucking soul, ocarina of time felt like an actual epic adventure made videogame.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duPynkGEFGI

>>322321370
>How can I get into Ocarina of Time?

Start by having good taste.
>>
>>322323465
I never felt that "soul". Not saying it's not there, I made this thread to ask how the fuck you people can enjoy this stuff afterall. I feel soul from Super Metroid or Chrono Trigger. I don't feel soul when I can't figure out which polygonal shape is a part of some puzzle and which one is an enemy.
>>
>>322322750
I think people got interested in FF7 because its ads showed the FMVs, which looked pretty good at the time, then they played it and found it was a good JRPG with a nice magic system and an interesting story.

Too bad square tried too hard to replicate FF7 sucess and made FF8 an overproduced clusterfuck.
>>
>>322321370
Early 3D graphics were pretty rough. But c'mon, man, OoT looks alright
>>
>>322321370
1g
>>
>>322323757
Stop playing with your N64 plugged to a LCD, it will always look like blurry shit, either emulate or play on a CRT
>>
File: scart.jpg (1010 KB, 3984x2241) Image search: [Google]
scart.jpg
1010 KB, 3984x2241
>>322323994
I am using these purple motherfuckers I don't remember what it's called, because I really searched for a solution to the blur. I am disappointed so far. It almost looks the fucking same. I mean I didn't expect it to be some brand new shit, but I thought it would at least look better than it does. I have no capture shit so I can't show you exactly what I'm seeing, but there are videos and shit on youtube.
>>
File: large.jpg (16 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
16 KB, 400x240
>>322322273
>has problem
>is given the solution
>"nah"
>>
>>322321370
Well OP, if the outdated graphics are a concern to you ten you're in luck! Both of the games you mention in your post have had rereleases with updated graphics on Nintendo's portable 3DS console! That means you can play them without having to worry about the low poly counts and stretched textures! Boy shouldn't you be happy?
>>
Op is a faggot just play them you graphics whore
>>
>>322324263
>monster
You're using overpriced composite cables. Those look like shit on LCDs
>>
>>322324379
I'll wait for a home console release as there hasn't been a proper handheld made since the OG GBA. They make them all out of such cheap flimsy shit nowadays it makes me sick. And the 3DS has the same shitty little circle pad as the PSP had. That shit broke within a week of me fixing it every time on the PSP. If there is really no better way I may have to just wait for 3DS emulation. But I hope it doesn't come down to that.
>>
>>322322273
You can typically find a first gen 3DS with games on craigslist for like $100
>>
>>322324647
>LCD's

>>322324747
see
>>322324719

I know those things probably work for little kids, but if you are above 30 then you try and man handle those little circle pads and tell me its worth tossing about 400 dollars in constant repairs down the drain.
>>
>>322324263
This is the kind of person that buys monster cables.
>>
>>322325143
I will admit that I don't completely understand all this shit. But I felt like I had already bought the n64 and the cords and the game and the controllers so why not splurge for something to really bring it all together or so I had hoped.
>>
What you have can be cured, but it takes sacrifice. You have to play nothing but NES games for around a month. I would honestly suggest two for you since you seem to have a severe case of popcorn-itis.

In my experience as a guy who played nothing but Brawl for two years straight, I went cold turkey and played Zelda and Zelda 2 straight. It was hard to muster at first, but I stayed strong. Then I played ALttP. The amount of freedom it offered compared to Zelda II was just what the doctor ordered to begin my rehabilitation.

Then, after that I jumped into OoT. My mind was absolutely bloooown out of the sky. I could not believe a game looked that good, when Link steps out of his house and the camera pans over to watch Saria coming at you, your brains picks up on all the details: the way the wind is blowing as shown by the particle effects, the pop when they hit objects, and how Kokiri cannnot normally be seen from more than 15 steps away, including Saria. Except in this case. OoT was almost too much, too realistic in almost uncanny valley way. In hindsight, I wish I'd eased into it with Mario 64. But regardless, where was I, after you leave Kokiri Forest you should feel like you just got born when you enter Hyrule Field and the last place you want to go is back into the confinements of an enclosed space, so you save that for last after you have inspected every part of the openworld before that.

However, if you do this, you are borderline worshipping the game for minutiae it's not about as one anon already said. Really, you have to pay attention and learn to place yourself in the shoes of the story to enjoy story-driven games, as OoT is probably more than any other Zelda.

For instance, Navi asks you if you can trust Sheik after a while when you first meet. This means the way forward is not set in stone and the player has just enough incentivity to feel like you can decide for yourself. It's then that you realize all your options.
>>
>>322326368
He's playing with composite cables on an LCD, that's like the most retarded way to play any n64 game since they will look all blurry and horrible compared to playing them on an emulator or an old big ass TV.

I blame nintendo for forcing those shitty filters on every game.
>>
>>322327207
N64 games look actually quite nice when playing them on an emulator at 4K resolution
>>
>>322324719
>They make them all out of such cheap flimsy shit nowadays
Have you held a Vita (either version) or the N3DS?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.