[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just got paid. What are some underrated, yet excellent steam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9
File: 123535345435.jpg (230 KB, 540x517) Image search: [Google]
123535345435.jpg
230 KB, 540x517
I just got paid. What are some underrated, yet excellent steam games out there?

I enjoy platformers, roguelikes, roguelites, metroidvanias, rpg's, and shmups.
>>
if you beat mirror stage 3, come back and tell me how you did it
>>
Environmental Station Alpha might fit the bill you know what, I haven't actually played it, but I wanted to take this opportunity to see if anyone else thinks it's good
>>
Nuclear Throne.
>>
Bad Rats
>>
Add your money to a savings account so your wifes son can go to college.
>>
>>322316301
>140
I saw it for the first time today while on the queue.

Is it as good as it looks like?

Reminded me of Thomas Was Alone, but much faster and more visually appealing.
>>
File: Top it.jpg (126 KB, 951x458) Image search: [Google]
Top it.jpg
126 KB, 951x458
>>322316301
I'm interested, but it only has 3 stages? Hmm. You sure about this?

I don't know how tough that stage you're talking about is, but if I've SS'd Yotta Difficult in Dustforce, I'm pretty sure I can do anything any platformer asks of me.
>>
>>322316991
Well I like it a lot. There's no bullshit, it's very much only about the gameplay, and the mirror stages will kick your ass for a while.
>>322317317
Then pirate it first nigger, it's only two bucks.
>>
>>322316338
Oh hey, thanks for bringing this to my attention too, I've just checked it out and it looks pretty damn great.
>>
>>322317317
Forgot to reply to the other part of your comment.
I don't play many very hard platformers so I don't really know how to quantify the mirror stages in regards to others. It's mostly about timing, that's it.
>>
Guacamelee is practically free right now. Metroidvania with an intricate combo system akin to fighting games.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/275390/
>>
mount and blade warbands
>>
>>322316158
Axiom Verge
Undertale
Lisa
La Mulana
>>
>shmups
Crimzon Clover, Mushihimesama, and Eschatos.

>platformers
I'd recommend the Umihara Kawase games, but they were pulled from steam recently. Do yourself a favor and pirate them, it's an excellent series.

>>322317317
>I'm pretty sure I can do anything any platformer asks of me.
You'll rethink that statement if you decide to try out umihara.
>>
File: 1407134562162.gif (2 MB, 298x317) Image search: [Google]
1407134562162.gif
2 MB, 298x317
Hijacking the thread because I have a question to.

Are there any platformers on Steam in the vein of Banjo-Kazooie, Jack and Daxter, Crash Bandicoot etc. You know the classic good shit?
>>
File: 98779357.gif (814 KB, 401x562) Image search: [Google]
98779357.gif
814 KB, 401x562
Valdis Story nigga.
>>
Axiom Verge
>>
>>322317943
Played all four of those to completion

>>322318106
Played that too. With all 4 characters, actually.

>>322317981
I'll check them out, but I doubt Umihara has anything harder than Yotta, bro.
>>
File: qud-tiles.png (223 KB, 532x345) Image search: [Google]
qud-tiles.png
223 KB, 532x345
Caves of Qud is the fucking bomb for a roguelike itch

I clocked 20 hours on that game in my first three days playing
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcf4yS5_aiI
>>
Get One Way Heroics

Way too good for the dollar menu.
>>
File: 1442113983388.gif (49 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1442113983388.gif
49 KB, 300x250
Legend of Grimrock and its sequel are pretty fucking good

They aren't randomly generated but you'd probably love them
>>
Use the catalog, faggot
>322311128
>>322311128
>>>322311128
>>>>322311128
>>
>>322319187
This.
It's going for a dollar right now. Pretty fun. The DLC is like 5 bucks holy shit but five knight it's too much fun.
How the fuck do I into archer?
>>
>>322319187
seconding this, great roguelike
the plus version is even better
>>
Rouge legacy is all of that stuff
>>
>>322319384
great contribution
>>
>>322316158
Get Darkest Dungeon if you like a challenge, its half price right now too for $10, great deal.
>>
File: 522472623.jpg (297 KB, 1590x870) Image search: [Google]
522472623.jpg
297 KB, 1590x870
>>
File: invisible-inc_2.jpg (550 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
invisible-inc_2.jpg
550 KB, 1920x1080
>>322316158

Probably the most underrated ~$30 Steam release of a game this year.

Do you like turn-based strategy games? Do you like stealth games? Then this is for you. This game is basically XCOM with a focus on doing objectives while avoiding detection using both your party's skills, items and hacking abilities. Fun campaign with a decent budget, great music and an amazing artstyle. Levels are randomly generated and can be re-rolled using custom settings and a handful of unique characters to keep things interesting everytime. You're encouraged to keep playing even after you completely "fail" the singleplayer by having your spy agency underperform.

Here are my cons to balance out the praise:

>No borderless windows mode or FXAA
>Easy to fuck your agency's progress up mid-campaign if you focus on the wrong missions
>Higher difficulties favor certain characters over others
>Huge difficulty spikes inbetween missions
>Base game is kinda short once you nail exactly what to do, so you're inclined to buy the DLC.
>DLC is actually a pretty good expansion to the base game (Extra campaign/characters/abilities/levels/etc), but doesn't excuse the fact that the base game needed more content
>Taking too long on levels will fuck your shit up because of the "Alert" system that raises the mission's current defenses/patrols the more turns it takes you to get to the end

Overall, I'd say its worth your time.
>>
Any game from the Ys series. They're all like $5-7 USD right now.
>>
>>322316338
I've been playing it these last few days. Graphics are nothing special, but it's fun. Hookshot is great to swing around with. Overall it reminds me a lot of playing the original Metroid as a kid. Well worth the price.
>>
>>322316158
Get Lisa.
>>
>>322316158
Get Axiom Verge, it's a pretty good Metroidvania
>>
>>322316158
Nuclear Throne if you haven't already got it. Loads of fun. Roguelite drop-down shooter. Lots of variety in weapons and enemies, good replayability, some good gimmicks for the different characters.
Oh, and Ori and the Blind Forest is another one you should look at. I've only just started it, but it's good so far. Gorgeous visuals.
>>
>>322320617
Not OP but I just bought this. I remember playing an early access demo or something, or maybe I just pirated an old version.
Anything I should be aware of?
>>
File: Invisible-Inc..png (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Invisible-Inc..png
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>322322667

Draco is absolutely ridiculous to use in the early game, but he is a DLC character.

Having one character focused on speed/hacking (doing objectives/stealth) and the other on strength/anarchy (taking down guards/holding down chokepoints) is always a recipe for success. Put one point into each of their stats (forgot what it was called) to allow them to pickpocket guards from behind.

Take your time before ending a turn. You might feel impatient but there are times when I fucked up a perfectly executed level because I got lazy near the end.

CLOSE ALL DOORS BEHIND YOU. Seriously, or else guards wake up and can spot you across several rooms away.

Burst PWR gain > slow-drip PWR gain.

The ending to the game is complete bullshit so don't feel bad when you see it coming. Enjoy the journey, not the destination.
>>
I just played through Axium Verge and enjoyed it a lot.
>>
>>322322298
How the fuck do I get gud at Nuclear throne?
>>
>>322316338
Came here to say this.
I'm currently playing through this. It's overall great, there is just one boss that feels completely bullshit (it's a giant snake/worm) that you will have to endure.
I'm also slightly disappointed by the upgrades that feel underwhelming.
But the controls are top notch, atmosphere is great, overall I really recommend.
>>
>>322316158
Have you heard of this underground new RPG?

Its called Undertale

Not many people have talked about it or played it

I'm sure you'll love it.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.