[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the Phantom Menace of video games and why is it Dark Souls 2.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8
File: darkguy2.jpg (493 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
darkguy2.jpg
493 KB, 1920x1200
Whats the Phantom Menace of video games and why is it Dark Souls 2.
>>
Metal Gear Solid V

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
>>
phantom menace of videogames would be Twilight Princess
>>
>>322272814
This
Fucking
This
/thread
>>
Dark Souls 2 is the opposite of the phantom menace.

Episode 1 was people giving a creator 100% free reign because of his former success, and only realizing after it's too late that not everything he comes up with will be gold and you've got to reign that shit in and evaluate it and exercise restraint.

DS2 was a game made specifically because its predecessor did unexpectedly well and suffered because it didn't have the original director on board.
>>
>>322272814
>MGSV is bad
worst meme of 2015
>>
File: 250px-Metroid_Other_M_Cover.jpg (32 KB, 250x345) Image search: [Google]
250px-Metroid_Other_M_Cover.jpg
32 KB, 250x345
Clearly fucking Metroid Other M.
Its a prequel sort of and it is science fiction and the original director is attached to it and nobody had the balls to tell him not to be retarded.
>>
>>322272814
MGS V is more revenge of the sith

Not nearly as good as the originals, but still better than the 2 MGS games that came before it
>>
>>322272814
nah

I give it more credit than that

in comparison, phantom menace was thoroughly shit while MGSV is a letdown because it's mostly good and then it fizzles out past the midpoint, though, it still has a couple of highlights left in the endgame

also OP is a fag
>>
>>322273539
But MGSV was the one hyped up after an absence of mainline games in the franchise

That's more like the phantom menace
>>
Dark Souls II is easily the worst of the Souls games and littered with issues, but it's not really The Phantom Menace of video games because it's still playable, enjoyable, and full of decent game design. Its biggest failing is highlighting how fucking autistic the Souls fanbase can be at the slightest transgression of Miyazaki quality. Proved they're unwilling to accept a middleground or spectrum of quality; it's either the greatest thing ever or the shittest game ever made.

Narratively MGSV is probably the best choice. Thing with Phantom Menace is it's so forgettable and meaningless. It COULD have been special, and people were EXPECTING it to be special, due to the precedent set by previous entries in the franchises. Fans rightly hyped it up. Then it lands and...oh, okay. I mean, MGSV plays pretty great for most part, but MGS as a series is so well known for story and MGSV has...nothing. Like it just mostly doesn't fucking matter whether or not it exists as its implications and twists are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Which is exactly like The Phantom Menace.
>>
>>322272703

But DS2 was really good.
>>
>>322274165
exactly
>>
>>322274092
>Proved they're unwilling to accept a middleground or spectrum of quality
Not really a soulsfan but how is that a bad thing?
Every fanbase has the opposite problem where they can't see a sequel because they genuinely just want the same game again.
>>
>>322274165
Yet it was the worst in the series
therefore, this comparison
>>
>>322273338
>>322273338
This

MGSV and DaS 2 are actually good even if they are both disappointing compared to predecessors
>>
>>322274579
The prequels were more than just the worst in the series though.
They were fucking horrible.
>>
>But SOTFS
>Having fun so far, a lot of cool tweaks like Dragon Tooth available much earlier on.
>mfw reworked Iron Keep
Anal Rodeo ain't got shit on this. Holy fuck it's been brutal so far.
>Two invaders in the front gate
>Knights are MUCH more persistent
>Snipers actually position themselves to shot you
That last one especially, holy shit I'm impressed. This is a different kind of evil.
>>
>>322274092

Because judging every game on a binary "BEST THING EVER / WORST THING EVER" is fucking retarded.

It's pretty much unanimously accepted Dark Souls II is the worst of the Souls titles, for good reasons. Souls fans just have an irritating tendency to inflate just how bad it is and act like FROM's B-Team molested the fanbase, throwing a shitfit whenever the game is mentioned or recommended and act like it's an objectively unplayable disaster.
>>
>>322274701
DaS2 was fucking horrible in a lot of things anon
>>
To be honest, Dark Souls was so different to Demon's Souls I didn't cared at all about the gameplay difference om Dark Souls 2 and eventually BB. It's good fun finding yourself around new metas even after playing the previous games. It might be my favorite game if it wasn't for the Soul Memory and some weird lore.
>>
>>322274962
So you agree with everything they are saying just not how passionate they feel about it?

Sorry man at that point you are arguing emotions.

You better be a women or a really gay man otherwise this is unacceptable.
>>
>>322275063
Not Prequel tier horrible.
More like terminator 3 horrible.
>>
whats the deal

watching star wars for the first time and that was probably the best of all of them

don't see how that applies to Dark Souls 2 imo
>>
>>322275165

Uhhh, if emotional arguments/extremes are indicative of being a women or gay man, then Souls fans endlessly pissing and moaning about Dark Souls 2, because it's not up to the standard of the rest of the series and acting like it's the worst thing ever made, are the most feminine, gayest men around.
>>
>>322274962
It's even worse when they refuse to admit some of the glaring flaws in Dark Souls like half the covenants not working and a really shitty endgame. I mean, shit, half of the equipment required twinkling titanite and they had to patch a fucking vendor for it, that's really bad design.
>>
>>322275134
yeah
>>
>>322275846
No ARGUING about emotions is indicative of being a women or a really gay man.

You are getting stupider with every post.
>>
>>322275852
The covenants are still shit in das2. A fucking sequel.
Endgame was fine.
People who exaggarate lost izalith as the second half of the game are retarded.
Duke's archive, the tomb and the entire dlc are still completely fine.
>>
File: 2.png (54 KB, 621x480) Image search: [Google]
2.png
54 KB, 621x480
>>322274717
>shrine of amana is tough, but not ballbustingly so
>dragon shrine is so much better now that the guards are passive
>get actual endgame shit while playing without looking too hard (great heal, warmth)
>weaponfu in a chest instead of farm only

fuck, Scholar did a lot right.
>>
>>322276305
It better considering it is the entire game again for full price.
>>
>>322273218

>All popular opinions are memes

Its shit. Its barely even a metal gear game.
>>
>>322275846
Are you a woman or just severely retarded? Or possibly both?
>>
>>322273539
>OT is good

here we go again
>>
File: The_phantom_menace_video_game.jpg (36 KB, 394x500) Image search: [Google]
The_phantom_menace_video_game.jpg
36 KB, 394x500
actually pretty good
>>
>>322274092
>Proved they're unwilling to accept a middleground or spectrum of quality; it's either the greatest thing ever or the shittest game ever made.

>>322274962
>Because judging every game on a binary "BEST THING EVER / WORST THING EVER" is fucking retarded.

But that's literally what 4chan does every day in every thread for anything ever.

This place is shitpost central and if you want to have fun and discuss games with people who enjoy the same games you're FUCKED.
>>
>>322277174
Stop trying to force this meme /tv/. The prequels are fucking shit.
>>
>>322277238
>the top down point of view
>>
You ever wonder why the fanbase for Souls games turned so hostile? I still remember how civil DeS threads could be.
>>
>>322276305
>flexile sentry before lost sinner
why?
>>
File: mustafar-duel6.jpg (224 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
mustafar-duel6.jpg
224 KB, 1024x768
Leading up to release I expected MGSV to be the Revenge of the Sith of vidya

>hype is big
>finally get to see the good goy become the bad goy
>dispair, tragedy and hatred

Turns out to be a well designed but ultimately repetitive and puddle deep game
>>
>>322277359
All mainstream cinema became infantilized garbage in the wake of star wars. It is because of Star Wars that we're knee deep in capeshit.
>>
>>322277769
super hero movies have been a thing for nearly 100 years. You are a whiny child who hates popular things
>>
>>322272703
It literally can not be since it was made by B-Team
>>
In what sense would something be a Phantom Menace of anything? Someone explain to me I don't know shit about Star Wars.
>>
DS2 is the return of tbe jedi of souls.
>Still has good parts and is enjoyable
>But has some stupid fucking ewokbullshit dragging it down
No souls game is Phantom Menace bad
>>
I think the Souls series is starting to develop its own Zelda cycle.
>>
>>322274414
>Not really a soulsfan but how is that a bad thing?
Because there are people who go so far as shit on literally everything DaS2 does, even things it did right such as parrying, that it crosses over into severe autistic 24/7 triggered shitposting.
>>
>>322277876
>super hero movies have been a thing for nearly 100 years.
Yeah, there was always 10 a year. They were always just advertisements for their franchise "universes" and didn't even attempt to be movies in their own right.

It would be impossible for those things to become popular unless it was pedestrian in the first place. Quality alienates. Bad movies make crowds of people cheer and clap. Good movies clear screenings by the half way point.
>>
>>322277958
I think what OP means is "a release that had a well-received and loved series of games but followed up after a hiatus with a piece of shit, disappointing almost everyone."
>>
File: pottery.webm (1 MB, 1274x1080) Image search: [Google]
pottery.webm
1 MB, 1274x1080
>>322277651
RotS was actually decent because it went full circle with some neat callouts to the original trilogy.

MGSV is just pure retardation.
>>
The intern that coded the Salamanders is probably the same evil fucker that coded the Dragon Butts in the DS1.
>>
Dark Souls 2 is better than Bloodborne.
>>
>>322278391
>RotS was actually decent
Nice meme.

UPVOTE REDDIT STYLE
>>
>>322278490
But reddit hates the PT.
>>
I thought PT was alright, just like I thought DaS2 was.
>>
>>322278335
That sounds more like Deus Ex: Invisible War or Duke Nukem Forever. Soulsfags don't know shit about actual disappointment.
>>
>>322278391
>>322278490
If I were forced to watch one of the prequels, I'd choose RotS.

>god tier soundtrack, better than TFA
>order 66
>the last 15 mins of the film is probably the best set of scenes of the entire prequel series

I'm still not a huge fan of the prequels in general, but yeah
>>
>>322278698
I have to admit, the final fight between Obiwan and Anakin was pretty GOAT. It even ends with a classic meme.
>>
>>322278517
This is just me speaking from experience, but everyone I know that likes the PT also talk about threads they saw on reddit last night.
>>
>>322278698
>god tier soundtrack, better than TFA
All of the prequels have better soundtracks than TFA. Not one memorable part that isn't just lifted from a previous movie.
>>
I bought played Dark Souls 2 when it first came out on ps3 but never beatened it. I just bought the Scholar edition from steam. What changes does it have in it? Also how often am I bound to run into a hacker?
>>
>>322278781
It's well done, but a tad too long imo
>>
>play ds2
>get high because I'm degenerate like that
>decide to farm big guys in heide's since they give lots of delicious souls
>friend is confused at me how I'm level 70 by the time I'm at no-man's wharf
>>
>>322279034
>too long
Get fucked underage neo-redditor. Bet you're the type who calls games "too long" also. It could have been 5 times as long and with the same great acting, effects, direction, and choreography it wouldn't have even begun to feel "too long" to anybody educated enough to appreciate quality film making.
>>
>>322278929
Now that you mention it, I can't recall a single track from TFA. Not sure if that's just the usual with me not caring about sound or what though.
>>
Resident Evil 5 is the Phantom Menace of the RE franchise. re6 is clone wars, and whatever shit Capcom makes for 7 will be revenge of the sith.
>>
>Get to Iron Keep DLC area for the second time
>Start to notice you can actually see most of the area from the first chain
Yeah, there's no way the people that worked on the DLC are the same that did Heide or the transition from Earthen Peak to Iron Keep.
>>
>>322279386
4 is almost as bad as 5.
>>
>>322279208
Settle down m8

I like the fight as much as the next anon but it clearly starts to lose its effect after 7 minutes of choreography.

And I don't have problems with long games.
>>
>>322279262
Supreme Hologram Snork's theme is a bit of a ripoff of Palpatine's.

Don't get me wrong, John Williams is still based as fuck but there needs to be an iconic track for the new saga.
>>
>>322279669
>John Williams is still based as fuck
Fuck off reddit. He totally phoned it in. They should have got someone else if Williams wasn't going to give a shit. Of course this is the entire movie in general. Chasing the nostalgia meme is more important than making something good in it's own right.
>>
>>322279453
>That fucking slog to the smelter demon reskin

Can't go back to that DLC for solely that reason. Fucking shit.
>>
>>322279989
What makes you think that Williams "phoned it in"?

He's 83 years old. If I'm 83 and still composing shit to the level that he is (sadly for pretty mediocre films) I'd be pretty happy
>>
>>322280034
That's the multiplayer segment.
You should be able to just run all the way up to the fog door though.
>>
>>322280270
>What makes you think that Williams "phoned it in"?
The fact that the soundtrack was boring trash with zero memorable themes.
>He's 83 years old
Oh it shows.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.