[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sony's linear cinematic games ( Uncharted, TLOU , God of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 16
File: The-Order_-1886_20150218063616.jpg (184 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
The-Order_-1886_20150218063616.jpg
184 KB, 1920x1080
What went wrong?
>>
And open world games are better?
>>
>>322248991
Not necessarily
>>
>>322248841
Uncharted was Gears meets Tomb Raider.
TLOU was Naughty Dog ripping off The Road.
God of War was western Currrayzhee done right.
The Order 1886 was an interactive movie that was More movie and Less Gamey.
>>
>>322248841
Dude, everyone fucking loathes God of War.
>>
>>322249879
how come? it was great
>>
>>322249879
Not everyone just /v/ even then god of war is the least cinematic out of that list.
>>
>>322250041
No I'm talking about the industry. God of War 3 was an absolute fucking mess.
>>
>>322248841
God of War is not that cinematic
>>
>>322248841
Low hanging fruit for the "game journalism" business to say LOOK EVEN THIS GETS BAD REVIEWS WE DON'T GET PAID FOR REVIEW SCORES SEE
Nobody was interested in The Order once it was revealed to be just another cover shooter. Safe to shit on it.
>>
>>322250290
You're a low hanging fruit.
>>
They deserve it, nothing went wrong.
The Order isn't, for example, it's poop.
And GoW isn't that cinematic.
>>
GUN SHOT
FADE TO BLACK
>>
>>322248841
>silly shit flinging OP
>>
Can't believe people are defending God of War lol.
>>
>>322248841
FOUR HOURS
>>
>>322249782
tlou was a lot better than the road tbqh
>>
>>322250643
lol xD
>>
>Uncharted is a bad series

It's a decent third person shooter. If you've ever played the games you'd know that there's much, MUCH less time spent on cutscenes than any Platinum game.
>>
File: Guile.png (152 KB, 337x280) Image search: [Google]
Guile.png
152 KB, 337x280
>>322248841
>linear
>cinematic
You do know that these words don't mean bad, right? You like those faggots that been on /v/ too long and associate "edgy" with bad.
>>
>>322248841
Graphic whores and normalfags.
>>
>>322250791
You're emotional.
>>
>>322248841
It's not bad as a demo or as short fun but it really lacks in the actual playtime department.
It's nice to look at pretty cinematics but I want to play the damn game too.
>>
>>322250190
[citation needed]
>>
>>322250643
God of War is probably the best action game besides Ninja Gaiden. There's honestly nothing even really shallow about it, the mechanics are there, 4 weapons with on the fly switching, and there are plenty of combos and the combat is the most fluid I've played besides NG, it's just that the base game is pretty easy even on the highest difficult.

I think it's more about the story, the graphics, the gore, the visceral feel of the combat, the spectacle of the levels and boss designs etc., over pure mechanical skill and challenge.

DMC is shallow garbage with punching bag enemies that revolves around cycling through combos to fill an arbitrary style meter. Very mediocre game Tbh
>>
>>322250815
And the gameplay is so shallow it might as well be a cutscene.
>>
Gunshot cut to black.
>>
>>322251040
(You)
>>
>>322248841
God of War is hardly cinematic.

DMC fans may hate on how "easy" it is to do combos and stuff but I still had fun with all 3. GOAT puzzles and music.
>>
>>322250815
Wow! 2 whole minutes less!
>>
>>322248841
Video games became an industry.
>>
>>322251127
lol xD
>>
>>322251127
(Me)
>>
>>322250890

>cinematic
>good

What kinda gameplay you want senpai?

Just interrupt my shit up with cutscenes of a poorly written AA movie because gamers have no standards when it comes to stories.
>>
>>322251218
>>322251249

cool shitpost
>>
>>322251127
Epic! :D
>>
>>322250890
Are you one of those faggots that use "edgy" like some kind of all-scenario downvote word?
>>
>>322251107

ART
HOUSE
BRILLIANCE
>>
>>322251040
whoa there anon....God of War is good.

But NG and DMC are on a different level
>>
>>322248841
>God of War
1 and 2 were good and barely had any cinematics at all.

basically, go fuck yourself.
>>
>>322251050
It's the same as any other TPS, and since you're constantly worried about ammo you're forced to move around to get some. On high difficulties it's a really challenging game.

But of course you, who hasn't played any of them, is a better authority on the subject than someone who has.
>>
>>322251270
As opposed to every JRPG filled with hour-long text cutscenes and "deep" philosophy?

Or is it only OK when Japan does it?
>>
tlou also had one of the best and most tense multiplayer modes of last gen

1886 was just a movie, and not even a good one at that.
Cool tech though, like when theyre jumping on the hot air balloon and you can see the cloth tensing up and stretching when they step on it

>>322250735
not even close family
>>
>>322248841

The Order gameplay is too little, and that little has too many flaws.

Uncharted, TLOU and God of War have great gameplay and the cinematic part is secondary.
>>
File: orta_01.jpg (123 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
orta_01.jpg
123 KB, 1024x1024
>>322248841
>God of War
>cinematic
What? Is the latest new meme? You could quite reasonably complain it's pretty easy overall and certainly no DMC, and that the only really fun mode (hardest difficulty) forces you to play through the game once first rather then being unlocked from the start, but they were still fun campy rides and there was gameplay throughout it. There was some QTE but it wasn't particularly offensive.

As for the rest
>What went wrong?
Literally nothing. They're all decent games. There is nothing wrong with a linear ride as part of the mix, one of my favorites of the sixth gen was Panzer Dragoon Orta, you want "on rails with cinematics" well there you go but it was still great. Deal with it.
>>
>>322248991
yes, they are.
>>
>>322248841
Uncharted, TLOU and God of War have level design and game design beyond using a weapon. I'm not talking about non-violence here obviously, I'm just saying that aiming and shooting a weapon is as far as player agency gets in The Order. Many times not even that far.
The player is just forced from point to point, you can only perform actions when the game explicitly tells you that you can press a button to do something. For example, since you can only sprint during certain parts of the game, it still has to tell the player past two thirds into the game, with text on the screen, how to sprint.
It doesn't create a consistent design language for the player to naturally have a "dialogue" with the game systems, which can be good even if the game's really linear. Done well and a really linear game simply won't feel that way.
But The Order... Basically it's just a poorly designed game.
>>
File: 1451264859688.gif (1 MB, 174x188) Image search: [Google]
1451264859688.gif
1 MB, 174x188
The people who call Uncharted "cinematic" with its 12 hours of gameplay and 2 hours of cutscenes, are the same morons who enjoy shit like MGRR with 3 hours of gameplay and 3 hours of cutscenes
>>
>>322252106
>deflecting
>>
>>322251851
>and that the only really fun mode (hardest difficulty) forces you to play through the game once first rather then being unlocked from the start

DMC and NG make you beat the game 3 and 2 times respectively to unlock the highest difficulty. How is that any better?
>>
FOUR HOURS
O
U
R

H
O
U
R
S
>>
>>322251270
You do know some of the best games back in the days were consider cinematic, right? Fucking RE, Silent hill and Onimusha were praised for their cinematic cameras and was even consider being like a movie. Or how about Metal Gear? You're just a faggot that only knows the buzzword and probably was too young to remember what cinematic games were like. There's nothing wrong with a game being cinematic.
>>322251332
Can you read? I believe my post was saying the exact opposite.
>>
>>322248841
I truly do not understand why /v/ shits on Uncharted and TLOU.
I picked up the Uncharted bundle for PS4 and I really like the characters and personality they have. The gun play is pretty fun too.

TLOU is great because the crafting system and gameplay was pretty fun. I thought Joel and Ellie were amazing characters and I actually felt sad when I was near the end.

Why does /v/ hate these games.
>>
>>322251507

Anon, it's an RPG, of course it's going to have a story. Difference is you're not going from corridor to corridor getting interrupted by a cutscene.
>>
Uncharted is fun.

So is God of War.

TLoU was actually really good and had great MP.

Sorry you can't enjoy fun things.
>>
>>322252438
>RE, Silent Hill, Onimusha and Metal Gear
All Japanese developed
>Uncharted, God of War, TLoU
All Western developed

There's the difference.
>>
>Uncharted
Actually pretty fleshed-out games with decent TPS gameplay, paired with some light stealth and incredibly easy but flashy platforming/puzzle-solving. Story does the whole pulp adventure movie thing well.
>The Last of Us
Also a pretty fleshed-out game that combines survival elements with stealth, although I find the shooting in this one to be less fun than Uncharted. Story really appeals to a lot of people, though personally I'm just done with the genre.
>God of War
Decent, if somewhat simplistic action games that combine spectacle with a combat system that feels good, and some light platforming "puzzles." Story is mostly HURR KRATOS KILLS EVERYONE after the first game, but mythology is interesting.
>The Order: 1886
Okay but very simplistic shooting, the rest of the game consists mostly of cutscenes and walking between shooting sections. Story has a neat concept that pretty much goes nowhere for most of it, almost picks up, and then the game abruptly ends.

Regardless of the "cinematic" buzzword, all the other games are relatively fleshed-out video games with actual gameplay to accompany the set-pieces and shit. 1886 is a movie with bog standard cover-shooting sequences sometimes.

The others also tend to be longer and/or have greater replay value.
>>
>>322252438
Oh sorry guess I was just being le edgy or something like that, right?
>>
>>322252438

>Fucking RE, Silent hill and Onimusha were praised for their cinematic cameras and was even consider being like a movie. Or how about Metal Gear?

You listed games to balance out the two very well. OP is talking about trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMdmkhAwIKM
>>
You can't hide garbage with lightning tricks
>>
>>322252605
This is the most accurate post in this thread.
>>
>>322252714
No but you are being retarded.
>>
File: 12wp02_1280.jpg (145 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
12wp02_1280.jpg
145 KB, 1280x1024
>>322252252
Because in that case anon the highest difficulties are genuinely incredibly challenging bonus modes. In God of War though the "highest difficulty" is actually the first one where the game is actually any fun. I mean that literally, even for someone who isn't very good at this kind of game or never played DMC or anything like it. On GoW "Hard" you can still just button mash and spam your way through without thinking about it and without ever even really exploring the scope of the combat system. Whereas on the hardest (IIRC it was "God" difficulty in GoW, "Titan" in GoW II and I forget in 3rd) it's more like a normal game's "hard": you can still get through quite easily but need a little skill, you need to learn each enemy's tells and move set somewhat, how to use blocks/counters and some basic positioning, etc.

It's still not some hard deep thing, but I was actually really surprised what a dramatic change in made in the game. "Hardest" difficulty despite only being mildly more so was genuinely pretty fun. Light fun, but fun. It's too bad that a lot of people probably dropped the game without ever experiencing it after having played through once. It in no way needed to be a locked bonus or required previous knowledge of the game. It's not extreme, it's what literally anyone mildly decent should play through the first time, so it was a shame it was locked. /v/ might have a somewhat more favorable opinion of the game otherwise.
>>
>>322252503
As opposed to a Platinum game where you walk down a corridor then someone does some "CUHRAZY" shit for 10 minutes you can't do in gameplay.

As opposed to a Metal Gear game where you walk down a corridor then someone talks about philosophy for an hour.

As opposed to Shenmue, Yakuza and the like which have HOURS of cutscenes before you can even start the game.

In fact the only Jap games that aren't riddled with cutscenes is Monster Hunter.
>>
>>322252857
Fuck off
>>
>>322252438
All the games you list have both good gameplay and cinematic quality to them. A lot of western CRPGs have great story and development ON TOP of their solid gameplay.
The games in the OP lack good gameplay and are really about the "cinematic experience" which is fucking garbage.
>>
>>322253005
Oh, and fighting games. Forgot those.
>>
>>322250190
Sure it was a lackluster mainline part of the series but it did get a ton of good reviews
>>
>>322253115
>lack good gameplay

Have you played them? Or is a game only good if it has a fuckton of numbers (whether they be stats or number of different epic combos)?
>>
>>322250890
>guile poster
>cinematic isn't bad
A.D. 2,016 BC and these fuckers are still ruining my games.

Sony is a worse cancer than Microsoft. Ever since they stepped in they have allowed western developers to get away with this shit.
>>
>>322252605
Nicely summarized anon. It's pretty ridiculous that people would compared something like The Order with those others, it's not in the same category at all.
>>
Scratch that. Im a nigger.
>>
>>322253327
Shadow of the Colossus is cinematic and it's one of the best games ever.
>>
File: next gen.jpg (338 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
next gen.jpg
338 KB, 1920x1080
>>322253005

>games with solid gameplay with stories that don't take themselves too seriously VS AAA garbage with generic TPS gameplay (TLoU, The Order, Uncharted, Tomb Raider Reboot) that try too hard to become Hollywood with their cutscenes.

Gee, I wonder why people in /v/ prefer one over the other.
>>
>ratings

the entire industry is moneyhatted. sony's been doing it for third party games so they make it seem like they have exclusives (battlefield, cod, destiny) and then the few real exclusives are paid off for good reviews
>>
>>322250041
God of War is very cinematic, always has fixed camera angles with the devs making it look cool rather than practicality (backtracking is horrendous since you are running at the camera in a room likely filled with traps) and every boss ends in a QTE murder scene.

Uncharted and TLoU have a more focus on story (even though /v/ seems to have never played them and doesn't realise cutscenes don't go over a few minutes and arnt THAT frequent). The rest of the gameplay is regular vidya, Uncharted is a TPS with some platforming and puzzles, TLoU is a TPS with a focus on survival and stealth since ammo is very limited and if you are fighting Clickers they can one-kill you. You have free camera movement most of the time and apart from 3 parts of Uncharted 1 are QTE free.

I actually enjoy all the games, and GoW2, Uncharted 2 and TLoU are all top tier games.
>>
>>322253268

Once you played a generic cinematic Sony TPS you've played them all, sonygger.
>>
>>322253115
What the actual fuck are you talking about? All of the OP's games have just as much gameplay as any of the ones you're saying were well balanced. Have you actually played any of the games we're discussing here anon? There are lots of genuinely zero-gameplay movie-games that are total shit, like The Order, but these are not remotely similar.

"Cinematic" became a meaningless buzzword ages ago, it's so generic as to lose almost all meaning. It can apply to both fantastic games and awful games from many titles PS1-era onward at least if not earlier. Even worse most of neo/v/ has obviously not played anything from that era or even 6th gen and have zero idea what they're talking about.
>>
>>322248841
Boring story, dull gameplay, not a very engaging experience.
If it was a movie, it would suck shit.
>>
>>322252927
Are you acting like Ninja Gaiden and DMC aren't easy on the lower difficulties? It's the same damn thing. Having to play through three fucking times is inexcusable. On DMC you can damn near button mash through on DMD, and on NG you can almost button mash through mentor (although mashing on MNM would kill you very quick)

If anything it's even more egregious in DMC and NG because they rely on difficulty and mechanics for enjoyment, whereas enjoyment in GoW comes from the story, music, graphics, gore, visceral combat, the puzzles, the spectacle of the fights, etc.

I mean if GoW had a difficulty one step higher it would be just as hard as DMC or NG. It's not like the mechanics aren't there (doesn't take much, look at how people think an even more shallow game like MGRR is hard), it's just that the highest difficulty isn't as grueling as other action games. The challenge mode is a decent challenge though.
>>
>>322253609
>Uncharted is a generic TPS
>TLoU is a generic TPS

Play the games before criticizing them.

>>322253702
Same could be said for most games.
>>
>>322253531
Is it made by westerners? No.
Is it cinematic? Barely.

It has way more game play than uncharted.
>>
File: 1342152853364.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1342152853364.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>>322251040
>God of War is probably the best action game besides Ninja Gaiden
>>
The order was actually way better than i expected, not worth 60 bones but the story and gameplay were entertaining, game needs a sequel
>>
>>322253872

Yep, confirmed sonygger can't see how shallow his favorite Sony games are. Play better games Anon.
>>
Uncharted/TLoU/Tomb Raider are examples of cinematic games done right. Order 1886 seconds isn't one of them.

Also, what's up with GoW? That's not a cinematic game.
>>
>>322254140
It's Western, has cutscenes and Neogaf likes it. Therefore it's casual shit.
>>
>>322248841
Sony must have thought it was okay after they saw /v/ dicksucking The Walking Dead and Life is Strange
>>
>>322253531
The list of great "cinematic" games is insanely long and covers many genres. SH and Parasite Eve to take some from 5th gen for example. Triggered autists though always end up replying with some combination of
>but these maymays I read 3rd hand!
because they haven't actually played any of them.
>that one doesn't count!
No true scotsman. Easy to say "all cinematic games are bad" if you define "cinematic game" as "only bad games."
>I only like pure gameplay like tetris anything else sucks!
No reply even possible to this level of shit taste.
>>
>>322254089
Just play them before criticizing them, anon.
Stop being a shit eating fanboy.
>>
>>322254232

It literally is casual normie shit made to appeal to the lowest common denominator you retarded Sonygger.
>>
>>322254089
That may be true, but at least I can talk about the gameplay since I've actually played them. You must have a PS3 for JRPGs, get UC2 for a few dollars used and play it.
>>
>>322254249

>Just play them before criticizing them, anon.

If I didn't I wouldn't be posting here.

>Stop being a shit eating fanboy.

Irony.
>>
>>322254331
>sonygger
>being this deluded
idortfag here, stop eating shit and expand your horizons you goddamn retard.
>>
>>322253865
I think you're confusing your skill level with normals anon. I mean I don't really know what else to say except that I strongly disagree with you, pretty much everyone in my apartment complex played through GoW1 back when it first came out while we were in college or our first tech jobs, and most of them had never played anything of the type before. Everyone agreed that it was surprising how much more fun 4th difficulty was vs 3rd and that it should have been unlocked from the start. As you say there were other NG+ bonuses, the challenges, costumes and so on. That it wasn't punishingly grueling is the point.
>>
People have wanted their video games to feel like movies for decades. DECADES.

The little video transitions between scenes in the PS1 Final Fantasys, the cut scenes of the LucasArts adventure games, the rotoscoped animation in The Prince of Persia.

This is the destiny of gaming.
>>
>>322248841
Audience's pandering.

Typical /v/ understanding of video game journalists closes after the words "Publishers encourage(buy) high scores". This is true, but the whole thing is deeper.

If you have video game reviewing portal of any sort, your main source of income are clicks(which translates into ad revenue).
Doing clickbaits is the spiral to irrelevancy so this strategy is... short sighted at best.

What you should aim for, is to:
>get access to publishers so you can release reviews and news faster/just as fast than/as the others
This usually involves giving the publisher good press aka. your game sucked but we'll give it good scores so you invite us for your E3 closed doors showcase.
>researching your userbase
Polls etc. to check what kind of preferences your audience has
>avoid offending the audience while giving them "pats in the back"(hohohoho you're so great supreme gentleman!)
This is the direct result of the previous point. Not offending the audience is very simple - don't shit on the game they like, praise them to high heavens instead. If you want to predict it, often just looking at news comments and production values can be enough.

Now, The Order received lots of hate before release, wasn't high-priority release for Sony and basically only the production values were good.
At the same time it didn't push any kind of political, social, philosophical or whatever message so praising it gave no pats to the fans("hohoho supreme gentlemen play supreme gentlemany games for gentlemen!").

Now compare it to Uncharted, which have certain audience, TLOU which was extremely high-priority release for Sony(on top of being typical "deep pat pat pat" game) and God of War which just like Uncharted - has its audience you don't want to offend.
>>
>>322254423
>I played them
post proof
I don't believe yu
>>
I don't think the order was highly rated.
>>
>>322249782
>God of War was western Currrayzhee with box pushing.

ftfy
>>
>>322254581

I WAS an idort until I realized how boring and generic Sony's cinematic trash games were Anon. Sold all that shorty after Uncharted 3 came out.

How about you raise your standards and stop buying into quick cash ins?
>>
>>322252503
>Anon, it's an RPG, of course it's going to have a story.
Which is bad.

You should get good tactical gameplay, dungeons to explore and puzzles to solve instead.
>>
>>322254423
>If I didn't I wouldn't be posting here

Alright, prove it. Post a trophy for Uncharted 2.
>>
>>322250735
read the book
>>
>>322254774
>muh all sony games are cinematic games
>i-if games don't pander to me they're bad!
Maybe they're just not for you, anon.
>>
>>322254880

Are Sonyggers really this retarded?
>>
>>322254698
It wasn't. Even on professional metacritic, which has a strong positive bias, it still only got a fucking 63 (which closely matches the user score). I still think that's too high, but for metacritic that's about as close to "total trash" as a major polished release gets (to go a lot lower tends to take much lower production values or major, obvious bugs).

>>322254653
Or maybe those three were just plain good fun games that a lot of people liked on their own merits. Just a thought. Marketing can get people to pay attention once, but it has repeatedly shown to fail to do much beyond that. When people give their own reviews and word of mouth marketing at most mildly, MILDLY shifts the average a little. But if most people hate it then all the marketing in the world will do jack shit.
>>
Game reviewers only like to play games for a few hours, so short cinematic games appeal most to them.
>>
>>322255059
>sonygger
nice meme
>>
>>322254880
yea, sure we should drop everything that made good rpgs good and make rogue-likes out of them
>>
>>322255059
Never owned Sony consoles.

STORYFAGGOTRY in RPG's should die and be replaced by superior attitudes of putting mechanics and exploration above it.
>>
>>322249782
>less gamey

The moment anyone ever said a game was too "video gamey" was when I knew our hobby was lost.
>>
>>322255109
That's why everyone loved the Order, right xD?
>>
>>322255194
let me guess, oblivion was your first rpg?
>>
>>322255035
They're my go to when I want to play a cinematic game. They're good at it.
>>
>>322255189
>good rpgs good

The original guy was talking about generic weeb JRPGs with half-naked girls on the cover, not Baldur's Gate or Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>322255189
>>322255303

Tell me about how story of Wizardry 7 made it good.

Or Might and Magic 3.

Or Pool of Radiance

Or The Magic Candle
>>
File: Manufacturing Consent.jpg (40 KB, 314x475) Image search: [Google]
Manufacturing Consent.jpg
40 KB, 314x475
>>322254653
So basically Chomsky's propaganda model applies to gaming journalism just as viably as it does to actual news.
>>
File: 1424937362773.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1424937362773.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>322255035

Why eat at your local burger joint when you can just eat at McDonalds amirite?

I'm still not convinced how going down a linear corridor hiding behind cover and shooting enemies repeatedly with QTEs every now and then, while in the process getting interrupted by cutscenes that consist of failed Hollywood scripts makes for good gameplay.
>>
>>322255429
Obviously.

What's the difference between propaganda and advertisement anyway? Both of them are replaced with public relations in newspeak.
>>
>>322255550
>still posting The Order

What's wrong with you?
>>
>>322255550
confirmed retard
you've never played TLoU or Uncharted
>>
File: 1408422333084.png (272 KB, 872x1000) Image search: [Google]
1408422333084.png
272 KB, 872x1000
>>322255194
>STORYFAGGOTRY in RPG's should die and be replaced by superior attitudes of putting mechanics and exploration above it.
Denied :)
>>
>>322254653
>Uncharted pushes a message

What? Is it because there's a black woman character in the latest game?
>>
Will it be possible to have UC4 multiplayer groups here on /v/? I missed the beta but it looks fun.
>>
>>322255426
>Wizardry
you mean crazy sci-fi?
>Might and Magic
you mean crazy sci-fi stuff with metaphysics party included?
>Pool of Radiance
It has more text than fo4 and fo3 together.
>The Magic Candle
okay, this one is probably pure math, i didn't even touch it
>>
>>322255965
Did you read my post?

Uncharted didn't get too much shit because it has established audience and at least first 2 games got lots of attention from sony marketing
>>
>>322248841
The Last of Us was literally good, though.
>>
>>322256081
Yeah, and you seemed to imply the difference between The Order and UC was that the latter was pushing an agenda.

And even then your point is just fucking retarded. The Order got LOTS of marketing behind it, it got a second billing in E3 for gods sake. Is a company advertising their biggest games somehow wrong?
>>
>>322256268
shh, you're breaking the hivemind.
>>
>>322256268

I want to live in your world where criticism doesn't exist.
>>
>>322254653
maybe, but you are looking through what's right in front of you for what may or may not be behind it. the truth is that the order is a significantly worse game than uncharted, tlou, and gow. also it does have a message, but again it's just poorly done.
>>
>>322256354
>LINEAR SHIT GAMEPLAY SJW DEVS MUCH CINEMATIC BOOGEYMAN
>criticism
>>
>>322255974
>you mean crazy sci-fi?
But how much did that matter to the game as a whole?

Did ANYBODY actually paid attention to the story?

Was it well written or at least coherent?

No. Nobody cared because combat, mechanics and exploration were 10/10.

The Magic Candle is pure fun even though it's hard to get into nowadays. The great-grandfather of Atelier games.
>>
>>322256426

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF0EaH73ee4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTsBn36yPrg
>>
I've always liked the God of War games. I never got around to 3. I heard it was a bit weak. The first two games and Ghost of Sparta are pretty great, too.

They're not terribly deep or anything but the combat is satisfying. Story got batshit stupid with the second game but that's the way it goes.
>>
>>322256519
He said GOOD, not a masterpiece, shithead.
>>
>>322248841
Uncharted 1 is solid.
Uncharted 2 is pretty darn fun.
Uncharted 3 is kinda bland but still okay shooting.
TLOU is boring with super overrated story.
God of War 3 is fun and has a really cool sense of scale and doing violent things.
>>
Real talk, which GoW collection should I get on PS3? And is GoWIII Remastered worth it if I can get it cheap?
>>
>linear
>>
>>322256621
3 and ascension are very weak
I played in each game in the series more than once but I never finished the ps3 ones
>>
>>322256652

Sorry for your terribly low standards, Anon. Maybe you should play better games outside your Neogaf bubble to raise them.
>>
>>322256519
>thread isn't about that
>nobody ever posted anything about those videos

Would someone saying "The Last of Us is literally terrible" be alright with you?
>>
>>322256681
Huh, for me it's more like:
Uncharted 1 was pretty shit but looked good for it's time.
Uncharted 2 was better in every way.
Uncharted 3 was unnecessary and boring, major letdown.
TLoU was a nice change of pace and felt different. I didn't like the story but the characters and writing were strong.
>>
I heard that the Uncharted collection fixes many of the issues with the first and third games, is this true?
>>
>>322257076
>Huh, for me it's more like:
>similar opinions
>>
>>322256963
>low standards
nice argument you got there, bro.
how is last of us not a 7/10?
>>
File: Capture2.png (62 KB, 873x177) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
62 KB, 873x177
>>322257031

>>thread isn't about that

My little Sonygger can't be this retarded.
>>
>>322257285
you must be retarded
>>
>>322257176
The first's aiming was originally terrible, although the finnicky and unresponsive platforming is still there (I must have died 15 or so times due to Drake not grabbing onto clearly-signposted ledges)

The third's issues can't really be fixed without a complete reworking of the game.
>>
>>322256791
>Not knowing what linear means
0/10
>>
>>322248991
They require a much higher level of ambition and design to be good.

A good video game isn't a movie, but a good video game can have cinematic elements. It spoils the purpose of this medium to have huge events happen for you or for you to have no control over.
>>
>>322257598
Sorry anon, but you're the retard.
>>
>>322257914
shut the fuck up sonygger
>>
>>322250709
Took me just over 5, but that didn't bother me much, I loved the game, visuals and art direction were solo, and the gameplay was standard, but not unplayable, and the game length kept it from getting too stale
>>
>>322258593
*solid
>>
>>322251383
No, Vanquish and RE4 had actual gameplay. Get fucked
>>
File: Nice vita faggot.png (712 KB, 582x553) Image search: [Google]
Nice vita faggot.png
712 KB, 582x553
>>322248841
>comparing Dude Raider/Dude Raider with Zombies with God of Motherfucking War
Go back to "The Gaf" faggot.
>>
>>322248991
LE open world Games Are always bad for some reason me-me

Kill yourself
>>
>>322262080
>le tlou is just uncharted meme
They don't play the same at all
>>
>>322262080
I guess DKC is also a SMB clone by your logic
>>
>>322263397
>B-but nintendo!!!1
>>
>>322255014
It's one of the least compelling and most boring books I had the displeasure of reading back in highschool. Very overrated.
>>
>>322263672
>NINTENDO IM TRIGGERED!!!
Fine, I bet you think Banjo - Kazooie is a clone of Spyro
>>
>>322254140
> Uncharted/TLoU/Tomb Raider are examples of cinematic games done right

Haven't played Tlou and Uncharted but if they're being compared to Tomb Raider then they're most likely fucking awful
>>
>>322263672
>its ok when Nintendo does it :^)
>>
>>322248841
>What went wrong?

Nothing.

Games dont have to cater to hardcore gamers such as yourself.
>>
File: RVp5UYM.jpg (263 KB, 480x753) Image search: [Google]
RVp5UYM.jpg
263 KB, 480x753
>>322258593
How much did you pay for a 5 hour playable movie? Do you think it was worth the price for the enjoyment you got, seeing there are games that offer way more for the same price (assuming you paid 60 buckaroos) ?

The fact that you said that the short playtime kept the game from getting stale is on itself something negative about the game already.

Go play Journey if you want fancy visuals.
>>
>>322252503
so youre sayign that sometimes it is ok then. gotcha.
>>
>>322265863
I got it used, it was I thing 20 bucks, and while yes there are alot of games that offer more, but those get boring for me after a while. I normally prefer a game that's about 8-10 hours in 1 sitting, cause ill play a game over the course of a week. So the order took 3 days of playing for me. I also enjoyed Journey, but its a different art direction, which is still a good one
Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.