[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you watch ZP and think that behind the cynical humor there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 10
File: zero-punctuation.png (340 KB, 592x356) Image search: [Google]
zero-punctuation.png
340 KB, 592x356
Do you watch ZP and think that behind the cynical humor there might be an actual point? Or do you just laugh at the jokes without questining whether they mean anything, even if they are directed at your favorite games?
>>
>>322211225
He makes good points on some things but the majority of the time he's filling time with generic yet poetically wordy insults.
>>
>>322211367
This
Now go watch his youtube channel
>>
Those are jokes? I thought they were references.
>>
>>322211225
>Do you watch ZP
No.
>>
>>322211483
He doesn't make references
He uses similes
>>
he's a lazy mouthbreather who isn't interested in games he plays
>>
>>322211225
Sometimes he makes interesting/good points

The other 90% of the time he's just nitpicking or memeing
>>
His Youtube stuff is almost always more entertaining than ZP which is just his job
>>
>>322211225
he makes good points, and ones that a standard consumer are interested in. brings the whole thing more down to earth. plus have met him and is actually a cool guy.
>>
There's some cynical humor to be found under his facebook tier casual opinion.
>>
>>322211367
This.
Although I've stopped watching ZP some time ago. Just got bored of it after so many years.
>>
I agree he does make a few good points but I never take his opinion on games seriously
>>
He makes really good points about games I don't like but gets everything wrong about the games that I do like
>>
I wonder if he's all that honest about his opinions sometimes. His GOTY of the past few years have been pretty weird compared to his old ones. Going from actual fun (SR2, JC2, etc.) to overwhelming mediocrity like Shadows of Mordor and Bioshock Infinite was pretty jarring. Maybe he's jaded to the point of forgetting what fun is.
>>
File: 1437350273292.gif (1 MB, 240x232) Image search: [Google]
1437350273292.gif
1 MB, 240x232
Never forget that Yahtzee's GOTY 2013 was fucking Bioshock Infinite
>>
File: 1451220898823.gif (48 KB, 208x331) Image search: [Google]
1451220898823.gif
48 KB, 208x331
Half and half.

He does make some valid, if not overly critical, points about all games.

At the same time, he does play it up slightly because that's his gimmick and he's trying to get a few jokes out.

Plus, no one on /v/ has the right to complain about him being critical when /v/ is the most critical place on the Internet.
>>
He is ok. Not an SJW kek and makes good points occasionally.

I feel his humour has dropped off the past year or so, but this is subjective.
>>
He can make good points, the problem is that he has to convey them in a comedic fashion after having rushed through the game and made the video in about one week, if not less.

On top of that he gets incredibly defensive even when people point out how his opinions were based on misconceptions, while relentlessly mocking other people's defensiveness himself.

So basically he has a keen eye, but he refuses to be held accountable for what he says while demanding to be taken seriously.
>>
>>322211225
I enjoy ZP, most of the time he has a more casual opinion and even when he takes the piss out of the games i like i can still see his point.
But i rather listen to his lets drown out sessions while playing space trucker simulator.
>>
The point is he gets paid to point out the bad aspects of games in a (subjectively) humorous manner, despite however many good points it may have.

There's nae really anything deeper to look for here.
>>
>>322211225
I think Yahtzee stopped being funny around 8 years ago and I am astonished anyone still watches him.
>>
The humor definitely takes priority and ZP is not meant to be taken seriously. The opinions expressed in ZP should be ignored; all that matters is that the jokes are funny and hopefully have something to do with the game.

His let's play channel is much more interesting, anyway.
>>
still the only actual videogame critic in a world full of paid shill and the like

the people that says "you don't have to take him seriously" always strike me as the one who got told over a game they liked
>>
>>322213720
>opinions expressed should be ignored
What, and why? He makes a lot of good points. For example he blamed Fallout 4 for being casual garbage that had removed every single RPG mechanic from it, and the dialogue was rubbish.
And he is 100% correct in that.
>>
>>322215024

Nah by the Minecraft video it was clear he isn't really remotely fair between how he criticises different games.
>>
>>322215289
>>322213720
His opinions shouldn't be ignored, but should be taken with a grain of salt, because of his heavy reliance on hyperbole for his humour
>>
I watch yahtzee for a sensible chuckle at his videos. Sometimes i laugh AT him, not at him. yahtzee revealed his casual level by parroting the same SJW factually incorrect load of horseshit about how Laura Craft in Tomb Raider "FINALLY WORK A JACKET IN THIS ONE!" despite Lara Croft having worn proper clothing on multiple occasions across multiple games which were made back when these femnazis were still mocking nerds and their video games while sucking Chad's cock under the bleachers during a cigarette break.
>>
>>322215305
He's not trying to be fair.

He's trying to be funny, game reviewing is way down on the list of Zp's priorities
>>
it was funny at first until I realized that all british humor is just whining about something like a bitch. And yes aussies are british too
>>
Crowshaw was an unfunny hack back when he was one of the writers responsible for killing Hyper back in the mid '00s (Blau! Wilks sucks! Crates!) and he's been an unfunny hack ever since.
>>
>>322215795
He could do with more poop jokes and crashing into garbage cans
>>
>>322211225
No I definitely get that there was actual points behind the humor. What often makes humor funny in the first place is the truth in it. This is why feminists and SJW's are often not funny. They are too pc to be funny.

His videos are entertaining but he sort of lost his touch after awhile. He likes too many shit games now.
>>
>>322215795
>all british humor is just whining about something like a bitch
It didn't use to be. It's depressing how limp-wristed British comedy has gotten.
>>
>>322215305

i don't think he's fair, he clearly has his bias which he trumpets all over the mountain

but that's the thing, he talks about his bias like a normal human beings, he doesn't try to hide behind a 7.9 or a bunch of pompous words

and if all it takes for you to being unable to bring valid point is having a bias then fuck i guess the whole /v/ is screwed
>>
>>322216039
I few people I used to follow on twitter went down the pc path. They became so painfully unfunny that I didn't recognise the numerous "Ugh... thing" tweets as jokes until I saw who retweeted them.
>>
he's a literal fedora doning fucking nerd and ex-goon, what "points" does he make
>>
>>322216734
Adrian confirmed
>>
File: CXH5x4oWcAAPBpO.jpg (31 KB, 517x793) Image search: [Google]
CXH5x4oWcAAPBpO.jpg
31 KB, 517x793
>>322212134
TRAITOR
>>
>>322211225
He has a point sometimes. But then some of his opinions are just retarded, like The Witcher 1 having too much text or something like that.
>>
Painkiller is his GOTYAY. He's okay in my book.
>>
>>322211225
Personally I prefer Judging by the Cover. Doesn't need to justify the insults, because who the fuck cares about the implications of cover-art.

That's the vibe I get from ZP nowadays. It's not about the game, it's about justifying a bunch of jokes to tack onto the game, as compared to pure observational humour. And that's fine. That's the only reason anyone goes to the Escapist.

But as for reviewing games professionally, I figure he's lost most of the interest in that and only still does videos since he's such a selling point of the site that he can get away with not bothering. Which again, is fine. But Judging by the Cover feels more freespirited.
>>
Reminder that he sucks at MH and his opinion should never be taken seriously at all.
>>
>>322212134
What the fuck is this traitor meme
>>
ZP stopped being good when he stopped using real music for the intro.
>>
File: gabe.jpg (18 KB, 450x423) Image search: [Google]
gabe.jpg
18 KB, 450x423
Gabe > Yahtzee
>>
>>322217075
Star Wars: The Force Awakens reference.

There is a stormtrooper who meets Finn, a run away stormtrooper, on the battlefield.

He screams TRAITOR, throws down his gun, and breaks out this bigass riot stun baton and styles on him till Han shoots him in the back.

/TV/ quickly adopted him as TR-8R
>>
>>322217075
The most bad-ass character on the "empire" side was that one stormtrooper.
>>
>>322216826
literally who
>>
>>322212013
Yeah? What was your goty of 2013 without going to look up what games came out that year
>>
>>322217410
Way back when he made a joke about hating every single one of his viewers, especially you, ADRIAN.
>>
His Monster Hunter and demon's souls reviews kinda showed that his format with reviewing a game in a week just doesn't work.

Now with monster Hunter I don't really mind that he didn't gave it a fair shot because even if he had figured out how to advance the game he wouldn't have liked it.

But with demon's souls you can clearly see where the problem is.
He needed 3 attempts to get into souls. which is now one of his favorite series and something he seems to really like.

So he is not even a good reviewer for himself. Not even he himself should listen to his own reviews.
>>
>>322217412
Not him but Expeditions Conquistador
>>
What is your GOTY?
Also, what is your favourite game of the year?
>>
Is LDO the only lets play series worth watching?
>>
>>322217767
yes

they're like dsp

but there's two of them

so the fun is doubled
>>
>>322211225
>this will be his 11th year doing ZP
He will kill himself this year
>>
>>322217721
Fucking Gabe.

>>322217767
Their Dark Souls 2 playthrough has been pretty tortured. You'd think Yahtzee of all people would know that a skill-based game is not prime material for wit and banter when you're distracted trying not to suck at it.
>>
>>322217823
That'd be true if it was all he's done.
>>
>>322217807
I can't believe Yahtzee has actually beaten DS2 several times, and he still plays like that
>>
>>322217823
actually he's planning on moving to america to be with his gf
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 320x320
I stopped watching him after he had to fucking apologize for a trans joke (which wasn't even extreme) he made. Fuck him.
>>
>>322217852
The douglas uppity bit was the worst thing he ever did
>>
>>322217958
But what about his fat boyfriend gabriel? also when are they fucking finishing DS2, jesus christ.
>>
>>322218076
gabe is eventually going to become a teacher in the australian outback

ds2 will be finished soon I think
>>
File: 1400455569779.jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1400455569779.jpg
9 KB, 480x360
>>322218053
>They got a shitty Yhatzee x MLP fanfiction to read when they died
>Yhatzee dies
>Didn't read it
>>
>>322218120
Are those other videos gabe does any good?
>>
>>322218049
If you get triggered that easily by political correctness, you're as bad as an 'sjw' desu
>>
>>322218202
No. Gabe's still the same as usual but the other guy is pretty shit and follows textbook "How to get e-famous" gimmicks.
>>
>>322218210
So it's ok for sjw tumblrtards to force someone to apologize for a joke. Ok keep comedy pc friendly got it.
>>
>>322218202
eh, I watched one of them and it was okay, but I think gabe and yahtzee just comedically compliment each other much better than gabe and his chums
>>
>>322218049
I think the escapist made him apologise and he kinda has to since they are the ones mostly bankrolling him

though I think he wants to become independent of them since he's selling a game on steam now and has made in clear in his LDO's that he wants to try out full time streaming (but can't as australian internet is shit)
>>
>>322218120
Gabe's planning to do a live re-enactment of Wake in Fright
>>
File: ldo-cw[1].png (139 KB, 1172x1600) Image search: [Google]
ldo-cw[1].png
139 KB, 1172x1600
btw for anyone who missed it, there's a new LDO today but you have to solve yahtzee's riddle to find it
>>
>>322218384
Australian internet is fine, I stream all the time, because my friends on the other side of the world are weird and insist on it, and the download speeds are on-par for cable. It's the fucking ping that's atrocious and no amount of copper wiring is going to solve that problem.
>>
>>322218516
Where did you even get this?
>>
>>322218516
Can't you just get it from their channel?
>>
>>322218563
Yahtzee tweeted it

>>322218571
No, it's hidden
>>
>>322218571
https://youtu.be/svpCmoyVMfk
>>
>>322218571
youtube allow to have video hidden that can only bee seen by having the right url.

Then again, you might be able to google it.
>>
>>322218516
>>322218571
>>322218598
Don't worry guys I solved it all by myself. You can have the answers if you want
http://imgur.com/xZPBU4c
>>
>>322218516
I fucking suck at crosswords.

>>322218645
They should play more co-op games.
>>
>>322212303
>Not an SJW kek

I don't know. Those complaints about the Fatal Frame girls being "too sexy" and being uncomfortable with the wetness mechanic seem like he's veering into feminazi territory. Nobody who knew the slightest thing about horror (like he is supposed since he always did horror film reviews on his website) would complain about skimpy girls in see through clothes. Sex/Nudity has been a staple of horror all the way back to its literature days.

Either he's fronting his horror cred or he lost his balls somewhere and can't appreciate lewd anymore. God help him if Nintendo actually brought the uncensored costumes out.
>>
>>322218710
>Feminazi
He was complaining about how the only reason to play the game was fan service, since everything else is shit
>>
>>322217710
If you're not him what's the point? Good taste though that game was seriously underrated
>>
>>322218710
You know that hes over 30 years old, right? Liking fanservice is fine when you're a teenager, but once you get to that age its fucking creepy
>>
>>322218913
>I repress my sexuality and so must everyone else

Puritan detected, swerve
>>
>>322211225
I haven't watched Zero Punctuation in 4 fucking years dude being really angry at shit is only funny for so many episodes.

Watch his first 5 and his last 5 and see if you can tell the difference.
>>
>>322218913
>Fanservice
>Having an expiration date

Nah m8.
>>
>>322219015
>I am a disgusting pervert who takes pride in the fact that I masturbate 5 times a day
Fucking degenerate
>>
>>322218710
>Sex/Nudity has been a staple of horror all the way back to its literature days
You mean back to when Stephen King shoehorned a sex scene into every fucking chapter and his audience were teenagers so they spent their time oogling that over whatever the hell else was going on.

Fuck was he thinking with a little boy's impression of a random-ass girl's orgasm and that one gangbang scene that just existed.
>>
>>322218710

I'm pretty sure Yahtzee doesn't like Nintendo in general.

then again when your console is nothing but Mario, shovelware and censored shit then you don't deserve much respect
>>
>>322215496
What the fuck?
>>
>>322219221
Well he was begging for developers to stop developing games for the Wii around the time of House of the Dead Overkill so there's probably some dislike for, if not Nintendo, what Nintendo stood for.
>>
nahtzee is a faggot. Pretty sure Bioshock Infinite was his GOTY
>>
>>322219176
Well, no. It dates way further back than Stephen King. Even Dracula way back in the 1800's had lewd moments. Obviously it's been taken way further, but horror has always been linked to sex. Even Frankenstein's monster was chasing skirt in the novel. King Kong kidnapped a number of girls during the film to give them the hot monkey dick.

King is just a fucking pervert that wrote a 6 guys- 1 girl gangbang even though they were only what? 11? 13 at most.
>>
>>322219526
They never had enough fanservice to negate the horror atmosphere

>6 guys- 1 girl gangbang
Yeah, how did he even get away with that
>>
>>322211225

It feels like he's unaware that he's burnt out gimmick, but he just keeps going because he knows his still getting paid for it.
>>
>>322219526
>King is just a fucking pervert that wrote a 6 guys- 1 girl gangbang even though they were only what? 11? 13 at most.
It wasn't even written well.
>>
I always liked his games.

I'd pay to see a game made by him with 10k and some not terrible programmers behind him. Maybe not ZX Spectrum era.

I think it would rule.
>>
>>322219859
I bought it, but I still maintain that Consuming Shadow looks fucking hideous compared to his previous work.
>>
>>322219920
Is consuming shadow worth buying?
>>
>>322219859
Funnily enough, I like his books. He's a much better creator than reviewer
>>
>>322219920

Yeah it doesn't feel like the fruits of some pasty nerd's year spent making video games like his old shit. Consuming Shadows is the result of that pasty nerd having like 3-4 side projects to manage.
>>
>>322219015
did you even watch the vid?

he made masturbation jokes
>>
>>322211225
I'm not sure if you're trying to suggest that he's not actually talking and you think sounds of talking fast are some sort of joke. You do know he's actually talking about shit right? Like seriously, words exist in his video. Check it out sometime, pay attention and you'll hear actual fucking words and sentences and grammar and discussion at hand.
>>
>>322212134
He's not critical enough. Which is the problem because he's basically the most critical reviewer there is 90% of the time. There is a complete dearth of reviewers who don't give handjobs to everything and just circlejerk the industry. It'd be nice to have some actual reviewers. For a place that complained about gamergate and piss poor reviewers fucking up the industry, people bitching that he's too negative when he takes it pretty fucking easy on games is a joke.
>>
File: header[1].jpg (31 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header[1].jpg
31 KB, 460x215
>>322219920
I don't think it looks bad overall, except for the title screen and these banners. They look so fucking cheap.
>>
>>322220008
it's decent

it's just ugly
>>
>>322220008
Yes. It's good. It just looks like it was put together with MS Paint gradients, which it precisely is.

Yahtzee doesn't really advertise himself either way and his work only really got retroactively popular after his dumb reviews skyrocketed, but what I'm getting at with that run-on opening is that the looks wouldn't matter if the game is freeware.

Still if you like a more harmless free-roam version of FTL's world map and RNG with some pretty fucking good dungeons it's well worth it.
>>
>>322220370
>For a place that complained about gamergate and piss poor reviewers fucking up the industry, people bitching that he's too negative when he takes it pretty fucking easy on games is a joke.
Not all one person, mate. Everyone knows there's a bunch of autistic casuals shitting up the place.
>>
>>322220613
You're seemingly one of them.
>>
>this games like riding a shit unicycle over a piss waterfall

wow i realize why i liked this guy so much when i was 14
he stopped being enjoyable to watch for me a long time ago
>>
>>322220689
Now that's just rude.

I've got a counterpoint though: he's not a critic, he's an entertainer being critical.

Absolutely none of his points are particularly thought-provoking, detailed or analytical, and considering how flippant he is with his own stubborn stances on first impressions he wouldn't be particularly good at the job.

You need more than an attitude to be a critic. While he's a funny enough guy and his stances on generic AAA games should be mirrored by the rest of everyone - "these games are fucking boring" - the minute he heads out of that barrel populated by avifauna it all falls to pieces.
>>
File: 1426857463440s.jpg (34 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1426857463440s.jpg
34 KB, 250x242
>>322212482
>yahtzee will move to usa with the gf

RIP let's drown out
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.