[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
morrowshit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 17
File: maxresdefault.jpg (155 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
155 KB, 1280x720
Straight up anon-kun, is Morrowind really the immersive epic everyone says it is? No nostalgia fags please. I'm looking for a new western RPG to play with a great world to really get sucked into, the last game that did that for me was Oblivion and Path of Exile. I installed Morrowind once years ago (having already been spoilt by modern rpgs) and just didn't have the patience for the foggy, jagged, non - voice acted game that met me, I don't really know what I was expecting. Let me stress, I'm really looking for immersive, well built world's and I was always told that Morrowind had that.

So what am I missing /v/, do I just need to force myself to play it? Does it hook you if you put the time in or do even some of you patricians hate it as well? Am I missing essential mods, like the overhaul to make me like it more? Or will superficial changes like that not change anything about the core of the game?

>Tl;Dr: Explain to me why you love morrowind so much in non-nostalgia speak and convince me to reinstall
>>
the game has all that but it also has a very large hump at the begining that can be hard to overcome, if you can get over that hump its great
>>
>>322206991

It was the pinnacle of engaging RPGs at the time. The key words here being, at the time.

Now it's archaic at best, with questionable combat and graphics that have aged horrendously. Doesn't stop it from being a good game, but playing it vanilla is unbearable.
>>
>>322206991
better than the later games by degrees but that doesnt mean much
>>
>>322206991
I played it for the first time in 2010 and I thought it was amazing, I think really you just have to realize it's an RPG first and an action game almost not at all. The first person perspective is just to make the 'select target, use attack' gameplay more immersive. Then again, I was aware of how stamina affected hit chance, and most new players don't seem to be, so that might be the biggest issue.
>>
>>322207129

The hump at the beginning is the best part. I couldn't find the fucking puzzle box for goddamned Cauis Cosades. I explored that whole fucking dungeon and didn't realize it was sitting right above my head. So instead I went on an adventure through the ashlands, killed some cliff racers, and wound up in Ald'ruhn at level 10. I joined up with house redoran and built a fucking fort. Only when my family got dial-up by the time I reached level 21 could I find that damn puzzle box thanks to cheats.

The first hump is the best part of the game

>>322206991

Anon if you have it on PC install some graphics mods, they go a long way towards bringing the game up to date.

So far as whether or not you'll like it, if you don't like exploring, reading books, and loot (in that order) then you will not enjoy it. Morrowind's melee combat is boring as fuck, stealth/archery are a bit better, and magic is cool for the game breaking shit you can do with it. The game is slow paced, but what I loved about it the first time playing was that it was open world, but there were tremendously dangerous areas to that world. You would stumble into a random fort or cross into a different terrain type and get rekt. 10 levels later you come back, roll face, and get some fat loot.
>>
>>322206991
Well Morrowind is objectively better than Oblivion, so if you liked that you have to like this.
>>
>>322207270
>but playing it vanilla is unbearable
What mods are needed to fix it?
>>
>>322206991
Why I love Morrowind over other TES games that came after it.

>No handholding, there is no magical compass that tells you exactly where to go. Listen to what people say and read your journal.
>You really have to think about what kinda of a character you are building, this might take a few restarts when you are playing the game for the first time
>You don't really know which character have quests, each time I'm playing the game I accidentally find new quests I didn't even know existed
>Mods
Seriously IMO they are required to a certain degree.
>>
>>322206991
Fuck off, no one cares if a pleb like you play morrowind so just shut up and play or leave, your opinions are literally worth nothing.
>>
>>322207270
>It was the pinnacle of engaging RPGs at the time
but that was Gothic 2
>>
Here's how I win:

Athletics
Agility
A crossbow
Alchemy
Keep pumping it with bolts until it's dead. Hop around like it's quake.
>>
>>322207740

I haven't touched the game in 5 years or so, but Morrowind Graphics Extender was a go to. Last I checked it MGE brought Morrowind's Graphics pretty close to Oblivion's.

Also high res texture packs. I would advise to stay away from any non-graphics enhancing mods until you've played the game and gotten a feel for what you like (and dislike in it).
>>
People who say Morrowind had great dialogue are lying. The vast majority of NPCs all say the same things. There's no more actual role-playing in the dialogue than there is in the later games.
>>
One of the most perfect open world games. The main story is even so cleverly written it doesn't seem retarded if you ignore it and spend weeks fucking around, the whole set up that builds the world and current political climate and crisis has been brewing for hundreds of years by the time the game starts.
>>
>>322206991

Morrowind is definitely one of the best games ever in terms of Immersion and world building. The Graphics Overhaul will get rid of the fogginess and jagginess to a good degree, I believe. You're not going to find a mod which adds voice acting and chances are, if there was one, you wouldn't want it anyway. The core of the game itself is about inhabiting and interacting with an interesting setting, exactly what you want. As for graphics mods, after you've installed them the game will look far better than unmodded Oblivion. You're worried they their changes will only be superficial, but the complaints you had about the game themselves were only superficial.

You should definitely force yourself to play for an hour or two with the Graphics Overhaul at the very least. If you don't like the game after that, you won't like the rest.
>>
Op here, you're right anons. I'm going to install some pretty mods and give it another proper go. If I don't like it after 5 hours I'll give up and commit to my pleb life for good.

I'm basically looking for a 3d version of PoE or Baldurs Gate 2. So it was a toss up between this, gothic 2, never winter nights 2 and risen. But yeah ill put the time in with this.
>>
File: 1451207596628.png (90 KB, 1013x1355) Image search: [Google]
1451207596628.png
90 KB, 1013x1355
>>322206991
>>
>>322208726
Neverwinter nights 2 is kewl too, OP. You should try it out sometime.
>>
>>322208726

I'm one of the mod anons. Just stick to the graphics mods man, they're a big enough pain to install on their own.

Morrowind is not NWN or Baldur's Gate-- the story is exploring, finding random shit, joining the 23 different factions, and breaking the game. It will take more than 5 hours to get into.
>>
It's an RPG. It has RPG mechanics, old ones at that, and the majority of people that would play it nowadays would build their character like a retard and wonder why their "attacks are not hitting the mudcrabs". In the end either you like it or you don't, don't force yourself to play it if you don't enjoy yourself, faggot
>>
File: wmw 2015-12-23 22.58.06.184.jpg (232 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
wmw 2015-12-23 22.58.06.184.jpg
232 KB, 1600x900
be a lizard!
>>
File: 1449090775164.png (207 KB, 790x2300) Image search: [Google]
1449090775164.png
207 KB, 790x2300
>>322208858
>>
>>322206991
>Unique setting
>Rich lore
>Fantastic storytree
>Not too archaic mechanics yet neither action-focused.
>Good art direction
>Excellent musical score
>Encourages exploration, character development

Aside from that, the game treats the player as life treats the being: it leaves you alone to your own designs. You will explore and develop as much as you are curious and engaged by what surrounds you and it's narratives.

This game is not for everybody. It's a game that ca be fully exploited by people with patience, desire to learn and the capability of immersing into the rich fabric of the game's world.

Or you can just dick around turning into a demi-god.

Also, beware that Morrowind is a cRPG with real-time mechanics - NOT an action game with cRPG skin. So don't go complaining about missing attacks and shit - the dice are rolling behind the real time action. Treat it as you would treat an old-school RPG.
>>
File: file.png (2 MB, 1200x1406) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2 MB, 1200x1406
>>322206991
It's a fun game filled immersive and believable characters + lore, and a quaint combat system. Multiple ways to go about reaching the end, some harder than others if you're the type that kills absolutely everyone, which you can do if you want to.

If you're a hurr durr muhgraphics type, vanilla is going to turn you off. Search for "morrowind overhaul" if you just want shit to look nice and not have to sift through years worth of modding options. Or if you're looking to replay it with better eyecandy, graphically modding it really does breathe some intense life back into it.
>>
If you like RPG's, and don't mind an older-school dice roll system, morrowind is one of the best RPG's around.

Everything about the world is awesome, especially anything about ALMSIVI.

Morrowind has the best lore and story out of any of the elder scrolls games in my honest opinion.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVvSiiEbtuQ

you might want to check this out anon-kun, it pretty much tells you what to mod
>>
File: 1419274375636.gif (982 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1419274375636.gif
982 KB, 320x287
>>322212856
>MGSO drops the framerate to less than 30fps on my computer
>but can't go back to playing vanilla now that I've seen how good the game can look
Guess I'm waiting for OpenMW.
>>
File: mw.png (80 KB, 657x379) Image search: [Google]
mw.png
80 KB, 657x379
>>322206991
>Criticizing "MORROWIND: THE MAGNUM OPUS OF GAMES"

you fucked up OP
>>
File: almalexia.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
almalexia.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1024
the game is as immersive as much as you yourself are capable of immersing

but i would totally recommend playing with atleast the overhaul, the vanilla is just too offputting
>>
>>322206991

That game requires an attention span of more than 5 minutes to play and enjoy. Also being able to think for yourself instead of following quest text objectives.

It's a proper RPG not a hack'n'slash with character leveling like the vast majority of "RPGs" to come out in the last 15 years. The game requires you to make and discover your own fun.
>>
>ywn finish that mod you started 8 years ago

If only I wasn't such a useless, Idle cunt
>>
>>322213517
I'm going to marry Almalexia!
>>
>>322214147
Technically, you already did.
>>
>>322207270
You are a faggot

Your comment doesn't deserve a rebuttal.

You are a faggot.
>>
Combat engine feels like ass even if you can live with the chance-to-hit. You waste tons of time walking until you can afford a ride.

I guess just get nude body mods and mess around with your sexy OCs as usual.
>>
>>322207606
I played it for the first time in 2013 and enjoyed it a lot but I also enjoyed Borderlands 1 singleplayer so yeah, it depends how much time and frustration are you willing to invest into one game.
>>
>>322214920
>until you can afford a ride
Anon.. there are no rides
>>
>>322206991
I played Morrowind ~2 years ago and it's one of my favourite fantasy rpg's. Just make sure you install the overhaul or it looks like shit.
>>
>>322206991
i have no nostalgia for the game at all, i played skyrim first then went backwards in the series in fact. it's really solid if you want an interesting world with interesting people who have interesting quests. it's probably the worst aged game i've ever played though, get an overhaul because it looks like a potato and is so hard to get immersed in. also the combat is retarded.
>>
File: 1424447753484.jpg (31 KB, 313x286) Image search: [Google]
1424447753484.jpg
31 KB, 313x286
>>322214920

>This entire post
>>
>>322213342
I'm the opposite, I have too much nostalgia for how the game looks in vanilla, I just can't mod it
>>
>>322207691
>objectively
>>
>>322215239
>>322214920
>>322212856
>>322209574
>>322207606

So what's the issue with the combat? Why so many complaints about it? Is it just the dice roll mechanics?
>>
I played Morrowind as a kid and no. I switched to Gothic 2 the moment I saw people talking to each other, hunting, sleeping and not being fucking mannequins like in Morrowind also you might miss your attack at point blank. Don't fall for the memes Skyrim is seriously a better game and that's saying something.
>>
>>322218446
pausing your gameplay every 3to5 seconds to select a new shout very immersive the menue scrolls series has never been hailed for its fighting, it was the interesting ways you could bend reality in an already reality bent world. Oblivion handled NPC's way better basically did all the stuff you say about gothic 2 and it was kind of cool in a way but Skyrim really didn't do anything to improve off that like i can't think of a single npc that traveled between towns like they did in oblivion or had a routine it was the same fixture of people doing the same thing quest giver in quest giver location, guy screaming about talos outside quest location guys place, shop keepers at shop keeper place it didn't seem like they even closed up at night like they did in oblivion.
>>
>>322218326
It's dice roll, which means you will miss a lot when your weapon skill is low and you are out of stamina, this then feels a little ridiculous when you play in 3D and real time, you miss while your weapon clearly seems to hit the enemy. Ways to get around this is to not be an idiot and make a character that knows shit about at least one weapon.

Also alchemy and magic are hilariously broken, which I think is awesome, others might think differently.
>>
no
simple as that
i dont like the mechanic of this game, it feels stupid and tedious
>>
>>322207768
>You don't really know which character have quests, each time I'm playing the game I accidentally find new quests I didn't even know existed

THIS.

Something that really bothers me about FO4

>In Diamond City minding my own business.
>2 NPC's having a conversation 50m away that U can barely hear.
>Nek minnit, I have a fucking quest pop up regarding what the NPC's were talking about.

10/10
>>
>>322218326
yeah basically. this might just be a personal thing but i think it feels clunky and unsatisfying. i do like the methods of attack like chop slash and thrust, that's interesting.
>>
File: 1394389628957.jpg (184 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1394389628957.jpg
184 KB, 800x600
>>322218326
>dice roll
no, there are no random numbers in it, all is drawn from yours and opponents stats.
People just grab first weapon they find and try to use it regadless of their stats, and then cry bitch tears because they lose
>>
>>322219392
It is a dice roll. Your stats and your enemy's stats determines the chance of a successful hit. That chance is then compared against a dice roll.

In my opinion it makes more sense than the system used for the later games, but there is definitely a random number involved. Still, I wouldn't call it "RNG combat" like some do, since that implies that combat is purely about random luck as if you have no control over the odds, which couldn't be further from the truth.
>>
File: minding.png (626 KB, 496x1077) Image search: [Google]
minding.png
626 KB, 496x1077
youre minding youre own businsess and this guy comes and slaps your guars ass

wat do you do ?
>>
>>322219814
I hope he kills that guar. Those boots are ruined.
>>
How do I build a character properly? How stats and major/minor skills work is confusing as fuck, and when I thought I finally got it I read a guide about it's to set skills I don't like as major, which flipped everything I knew on its head and I don't know what to do anymore
>>
>>322219730
dice roll = RNG. Morrowind DOES NOT use random values in hit chance formula
FPS using random seeding for exact point of hit in spread values is closer to a dice roll than you chance to hit in Morrowind is. Unless it's CS where it's pre-baked for every weapon
>>
>>322219940
Ignore that guide. In Morrowind and Oblivion "efficient leveling" means selecting class skills you don't use often so you can carefully control your levels to maximize attribute multipliers. There's no point to doing this whatsoever in Morrowind because you will still get stronger every level even if you level inefficiently, and it is possible to max out your attributes eventually no matter how you leveled because your skills can be lowered through various means, allowing more levels.

The benefits from choosing major skills that give you a boost in the early game far outweigh those of efficient leveling, unless you want to go full autist and keep a spreadsheet and meticulously grind, which is an easy way to suck the fun out of any RPG.

The short story is this:
Using class skills cause you to level.
Using ANY skills increase the potential bonus to their governing attribute.
Thus, if you want the highest bonus to the attributes you select when you level up, you want to make sure you spread your skills to get the maximum multipliers with no waste.

Again, don't do this and don't care about this. It helps a lot in Oblivion due to how strict the level scaling is, but the world is much looser in Morrowind and you need all the help you can get early on if you're not exploiting. Pick your favorite skills and put them all in a class.
>>
File: 1445208841979.jpg (57 KB, 256x406) Image search: [Google]
1445208841979.jpg
57 KB, 256x406
>>322219814
GLASS HIM
>>
>>322219940
make character with at least one combat skill not beign shit.
Only difference between major/minor is skill bonus given on character creation
Don't worry about minimaxing. Maxing out half os skills will level you up enough to become a demigod anyway
>>
>>322220196
>Morrowind DOES NOT use random values in hit chance formula
Correct. But guess what? The formula is used to determine your hit CHANCE. That's RNG. That's a dice roll. You roll a die for most actions in Morrowind, including lockpicking, hitting, and evading attacks.
>>
>no fappan mods

Trash
Oblivion and Skyrim better
>>
File: h92D84A8A.jpg (64 KB, 382x640) Image search: [Google]
h92D84A8A.jpg
64 KB, 382x640
>>322220414
>no random numbers generated
>still claims it uses Random Numbers Generation
>>
>>322220286
>>322220380
Thanks guys. So I just pick whatever skill I like and roll with it? I don't like that kind of meticulous min-maxing either.
Is there any Swimming in Deus Ex tier skill that is just not worth it? Is it feasible to play as a Battlemage (I know there is a BM class, I'm wondering if it's also fun to use without having both attack miss constantly and barely being able to cast spells)
>>
File: 1407682624313.jpg (120 KB, 640x599) Image search: [Google]
1407682624313.jpg
120 KB, 640x599
>>322220541
>fapping to oblivion models
>>
>>322220557
Because it literally generates a random number, you imbecile. If this random number is higher than your hit chance, you miss. If this random number is less than or equal your hit chance, you hit.

The hit chance is static, but the random number is still random.
>>
>>322219940

Don't worry about that stuff

Morrowind doesn't have the horseshit level scaling of the later games so you don't need to worry about leveling "wrong" skills.

Basically you get stronger by using your combat skills and your level doesn't mean much.

You don't need to worry about accidentally leveling alchemy, acrobatics or some other non combat skills and all rats in the game suddenly turning into minotaurs because you gained a few levels from it.
>>
>>322220623
Magic is excellend as support, but if you want to go full mage it will be tedious, because mana pots are very rare in shops, and for most part pretty shitty. If you still like the idea, there's mod on nexus that introduces (slow) mana regen that depends on your intelligence and willpower
>>
>>322220629
Then every game, except chess and checkers, uses RNG
>>
>>322220915
yes, you fucking retard
it's about how it is implemented, and in the case of morrowshit it's implemented badly
>>
>>322220623
If you're playing purely vanilla, be aware that the Unarmored skill doesn't work unless you're wearing at least one piece of armor due to a bug. I recommend getting at least the Morrowind Code Patch to fix this and a few other misc bugs without changing the gameplay. If you're using an overhaul mod then forget it because it's probably already included. Even when fixed Unarmored is (predictably) the least useful armor skill, but you get the benefit of reducing your overall weight by not having to lug around armor, thus making you move faster, jump higher, etc.

A class with both magic and combat is really fun, but it's a bit awkward to do both at once, because you have to "ready" your spell which sheathes your weapon and has an animation time. Usually it's better to use magic for preparation and then go in swinging, rather than switching mid-battle to shoot a fireball.

Still, every class but a pure mage should get a weapon in their Major skill, then buy a corresponding weapon at the Seyda Neen tradehouse. You'll 1 shot Mudcrabs with almost anything if you're playing on the default difficulty and charge your attacks.

>>322220915
Sure, except Oblivion and Skyrim don't use RNG to determine hits like Morrowind does. That's what people are complaining about when they talk about Morrowind's dice rolls, and they correctly describe them as dice rolls. Frankly, I think Oblivion and Skyrim's combat systems are worse off for removing them, but there's no need to misrepresent it. You have a chance to hit in the first three TES games and you don't in the last two ones.
>>
File: 1285915376177.jpg (24 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
1285915376177.jpg
24 KB, 500x331
>>322221228
>RPG
>effectiveness with weapons depends on related weapon skills and attributes
>if you're shit with weapon, you won't do much with it
>it's a bad thing
>>
File: 1438321512628.png (19 KB, 593x587) Image search: [Google]
1438321512628.png
19 KB, 593x587
>>322221764
>3D game
>real time combat
>you clearly hit the target although you don't
>it's a good thing
i wouldn't have a problem with this if morrowind had turn-based combat
>>
>>322213490
>I don't have to be some katana wielding samurai in real life to hit a target with a sword

Heh, sure anon. I bet you think you have good odds in a zombie apocalypse to because of your movie knowledge.
>>
>>322220915
He's right you know.
>>
Surely there's a mod that changes the dice roll mechanic of hitting or missing into something where you do less damage if you have a low weapon skill and more if you have a high weapon skill.
>>
>>322213738
This. Glad I forced myself to stick with it. Learned to have patience and pays off.

World building up the ass
Good characters
Slow pace take your time
Actual Rpg with stats
No handholding

The only bad thing is the ugly as fuck graphics and character models. This game DID NOT age well at all. Lots of npc says the same shit too.
>>
>>322213342
required GPU to run MGSO at 60 fps?
>>
>>322206991

Why not just play the Morrowind mods for later games like Morroblivion or Skywind?
>>
>>322211530
War. War never changes.
>>
>>322222014
so am I.
>>
>>322221764
>if you're shit with weapon, you won't do much with it
To be fair, that's true in all TES games. When they removed the hit/evasion system they changed weapon skill so that it affects the damage you do per hit. Over long periods of time it's the same thing, but it does mean you can't play a strong character who rarely hits but always knocks his opponents out when he does anymore. But who seriously played that kind of character, anyway? Every fighter loves their Agility.

>>322221913
I see it as more of an animation issue than a gameplay issue. No Bethesda game has good enough real-time combat mechanics to make up for the dodging, parrying, missing, and glancing blows that's all abstracted away by that hit chance formula. If we just had some kind of indicator as to what happened it'd be far more palatable.

If they insist with keeping the dice rolls gone, then they need to step up the combat mechanics to make up for it without resorting to damage sponge enemies that don't react at all to hits. We need random spread on arrows, your swing animation should be awkward and slow, maybe you should literally hold your sword by the blade when at the minimum skill and do some damage to both your enemy and yourself with each hit, and we need more special moves unlocked by skills (perks have gone in the right direction here).

>>322222143
There is:
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1513002-rel-oblivion-like-combat-tweaks-part-of-men-project/
>>
>>322207982
Do I need MGE if I already use MGSO?
>>
>>322207270
>The key words here being, at the time.

Yeah, anon. The genre has come so far since then.

Oh wait.
>>
>>322222649
MGSO includes MGE, but I think it's not the latest version of it.
>>
>>322222222
>>
>>322221913
You're probably right. I should stop getting suprised by people who weren't around pre-2005, and refuse to understand game mechanics, and accept actions that don't give fully animated graphical feedback.
>>
Op back with another exciting question. There's been some good posts in this thread and I'm pumped about playing old vidya again. My question is this:

Do I play OG morrowind with overhaul or do I play morroblivion? Because from what I've seen from screens morroblivion looks quite polished and not the gimmicky mod I thought it was.
>>
>>322223320
If you want to play Oblivion, but with Morrowind's world and story, then play Morroblivion. It's fully playable.

If you want to play Morrowind, then play Morrowind or OpenMW when/if it comes out. I greatly prefer Morrowind. You should at least give it a solid try. If you really hate the gameplay that much then go ahead with Morroblivion, since the world is worth exploring even if you don't like the game itself.
>>
>>322206991
>>322222337
This is why
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf0jiOpD-AQ
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.