[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best 3d zelda game and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: legend-of-zelda.jpg (102 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
legend-of-zelda.jpg
102 KB, 1024x768
What is the best 3d zelda game and why?
>>
Crossbow Training
>>
>>322194126
Majora's Mask.

It is more than just a LttP formula rehash. It actually innovates in ways that no other 3D Zelda has done with its mechanics and themes.
>>
Probably Majora's Mask, since it does different stuff with the formula, but not in the "doing it different for the sake of being different" sense. It felt like they did it differently because they wanted to experiment and make a game that gave the player a wholly new experience.

Is it my favorite? No that's probably still OoT, but I acknowledge that MM is a better game.
>>
Majora's Mask. Only downside is that it's short.

It feels more like an expansion to OoT, but both are good in their own ways.
>>
Another in for MM.

>>322195958

Perfect length IMO. I 100% the game like once every year or two and would probably play it less if it were much longer.
>>
>>322195104
>>322194631
MM was a step down from OoT in about 80% of ways. The only thing it really did better was make the NPC's feel more alive, and gave you greater freedom with how you wanted to battle bosses/enemies (which is a pretty big feat that's easy to take for granted given the games theme of transformation).

OoT is better in everything else: nonlinearity, deeper dungeons, better items and more tactful implementation (even things like Iron Boots are integral in OoT. In MM, sinking is a novelty to push switches underwater), longer and more expertly crafted sidequests, bosses themselves, and more of all those things. Plus sidegame content. It's the better game no matter which way you spin the bottle.

Also, saying OoT didn't innovate is the first way to get your post droppes first guy. Didn't even read it all.
>>
Majora's Mask or Wind Waker.
>>
>>322196401
You sound like a faggot and I read your entire post to make sure.
>>
>>322196480
Ad hominems is the same thing as sticking your fingers in your ear and screaming at the top of your lungs.

It doesn't change a thing and it makes you out to be a blubbering idiot.
>>
File: 1363552724019.jpg (213 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1363552724019.jpg
213 KB, 800x800
I like all of them. I don't think I can pick a favorite.

I think Skyward Sword is the weakest, but the rest of them are pretty much tied.
>>
Wind Waker is the closest 3D Zelda has ever gotten to being like 2D Zelda, and it's still a light year away.
>>
>>322196889
Nothing about your post makes a lick of sense.
>>
MM>OoT=TP>WW>SS
>>
>>322197053
Not him, but exploration in that game was fun. All they needed was some more islands or secrets to find and it would have been a great game. And the combat was fluid, too.

The DS doesn't do Phantom Hourglass any justice. Twilight Princess should have stayed Wind Waker 2.
>>
>>322196435
My nigga
>>
>>322197317
DS was a great system for a sequel. It's that the stylus controls suck that is problem. But the game's concept and execution were 10/10 not counting the fact there wasn't a quick warp option to the Ocean King Temple after each dungeon. Spirit Tracks on three other hand is an abomination.
Twilight Princess should have been exactly what it is, but nonlinear like OoT.
>>
I didn't really like the time limit in majoras mask, it felt like I lost the freedom to explore.
>>
>>322198093
Spirit Tracks was a vast improvement from Phantom Hourglass. The first time someone said this.
>>
>>322198506
It was really more of a schedule than a time limit. You can always slow down time or turn back time to explore. It's not like you can run out of time and get locked out of anything.
>>
File: Wind_Waker_Link_waves_goodbye1.png (143 KB, 640x352) Image search: [Google]
Wind_Waker_Link_waves_goodbye1.png
143 KB, 640x352
I remember back in 2004 I got rid of this game to a goodwill because "I was done with it"
I kinda figured the later zelda games were gonna be the next coming of christ and blow wind waker out of the water. if only I knew how wrong I was
>>
File: wind-waker-hd-banner.jpg (65 KB, 648x365) Image search: [Google]
wind-waker-hd-banner.jpg
65 KB, 648x365
This or the original, both feel the same.
>>
>>322200868
It amazes me how I am not the only one who fell for this meme, "the future Zelda games are going to be way better." God how could I have been so delusional.
>>
Hyrule Warriors
>>
wind waker is best. it's the most atmospheric and immersive, makes you feel into it like no other. and does everything it set out to do right. without having to be 2edgy and gritty to appease to the common manchild who thinks that makes a game great (COUGHmm&tpCOUGH)
>>
i'm almost finished playing tp right now and haven't played any of the other games yet. what does OoT do better than tp?
>>
>>322203107
OoT might feel outdated playing it after TP.

TP has nice dungeons and items I guess
OoT has better atmosphere/story IMO, and I just prefer its dungeons
>>
>>322197158
this is the one true answer
>>
>>322194126
MM because of great setting and sidequests. Masks were neat too.

i really did not like the music in that game though, the 4 zones had the same depressing track but sliiightly different.
>>
>>322196401
>longer and more expertly crafted sidequests
This is true, but I fell this is a hard pill to swallow for many fans of MM. I do feel that, while fewer in number or quests, OoT has side content that at least equals MM's.

Pound for pound, OoT's collection quests (skultulas, poes) are better than MM's. MM crams most of its stuff in single areas and expects you to do it all in one go, while OoT spreads everything out and give you more deliberate incentive to explore the game at large under various conditions. OoT also has an optional pseudo dungeon that's higher quality than any equivalent.

The game's trading quests are also at least as good as anything in MM. MM's major quests frequently boil down to "wait around meet x character at y time because another character told you to/there's an inexplicable blue bar there and hope you set up the conditions right". There's nothing necessarily wrong with this (beside frequently excessive tedium), but I can't say that it really strikes me as being better than what OoT did, it's just that forces you to specifically direct more time and attention to executing them.

This is not to say that MM doesn't do specifically clever things with its unique systems, it's that that its most inspired ideas tend to be small, one off things (like the toilet hand, the jam session, the bomb robbery and its subsequent effects, the solution to the pictograph comp etc) and hidden cutscenes, rather than the more iconic big quests.
>>
>>322203107
OoT is really a more freeform game with less focus on playing through a set story and more on finding things for yourself.
>>
>>322194126
There is no objective best 3D Zelda game. Each one has a different focus, and the gameplay and strengths of each title are different. If the games all did the same thing but one title did it better, it could stand out as the peak. But instead, the quality and favorite has to be decided on what the player wants personally and considers a strength or flaw.
>>
Why are 3D Zeldas so shit, /v/?
>Every single one has a shitty, boring overworld in its on way
>The 2D combat transfered over horribly
>Each of them asides OoT has a shitty gimmick that gets in the way more than it adds to the experience
>Puzzles are always bland and uninteresting in 3D Zeldas
>2D Zeldas are much more challenging

I mean LttP, Awakening, the Oracles and Minish Cap are all fucking great. The first has the cryptic challenge some enjoy and Link Between Worlds was very enjoyable.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.