[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shadowrun Returns worth playing? I heard someone say Dragonfall
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: Shadowrun_Returns_logo.jpg (60 KB, 444x230) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun_Returns_logo.jpg
60 KB, 444x230
Shadowrun Returns worth playing? I heard someone say Dragonfall is better, but I already own Returns and don't know if I should buy Dragonfall instead and play that or just play Returns?
>>
Dragonfall is the best. Returns is kinda shit. I haven't played HK but I didn't hear good things.
>>
File: 1450491570013.png (46 KB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
1450491570013.png
46 KB, 1200x1000
Dragonfall should be free if you own returns.
>>
File: Shadowrun trilogy COVERS.jpg (258 KB, 1200x532) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun trilogy COVERS.jpg
258 KB, 1200x532
>>322144140
Yes. It suffers and benefits from limited scope in that it was HBS' first game and it shows in its desire to include tablets in player base, but this limited scope also results in a story that's very low key typical shadowrunning without the whole "you gotsta save the world", until the last quarter when game goes EPIC because they thought players would be bored. Fact it's overshadowed by both games that followed it doesn't help.
>>
>>322144251
I dunno what the fuss about HK is. I thought it was fine.
>>
>>322144594
writing is kinda dry, but it's also just people expecting more copy pasted dragonfall.
>>
>>322144140
Dragonfall is the best in the series. Planescape: Torment level writing. Also unique abilities for the main cast, unlike the first. Dead Man's Switch is a skip, while you can't go wrong with Hong Kong or Dragonfall.
>>
>>322145009
>Planescape: Torment level writing.

alright kafir, calm your tits. you know that's not true.
>>
>>322144476
So should I play these in order or are they just straight up standalone?
>>
>>322145243
>implying it's not
>>
>>322145350
Games are not related and Returns has very minor references in Dragonfall. You can skip it if you want to, but I still wouldn't considering you already have it. It's also an amazing experience when you see just how they improved Dragonfall DC in comparison, starting with PC-centric UI.
>>
>>322145350
Play Returns, then Dragonfall. Hong Kong doesn't matter.
>>
WHERE IS MY HONG KONG MINI EXPANSION?
>>
>>322145603
>Hong Kong doesn't matter
That bad?
>>
Totally. Dragonfall Director's Cut is great, but I enjoyed Returns a whole lot too.

Get Dragonfall Director's Cut. It's $3, and even if you don't like it, it's probably the best of the three HBS Shadowrun games.
>>
>>322144251
I like HK way more than Dragonfall. I still haven't finished HK, but it feels more satisfying in terms of play and the style. Decking/the Matrix are way better this time as well. The only bad thing I've seen is that Gobbet's mission back in her old home is bugged like crazy. You have the option of sinking the boat or not and you're inable to arm the charges or leave the area
>>
Returns is a buggy, bland piece of shit.

Have fun rolling a decker that ends up completely obsolete because there's only two single instances where decking is an option (and they just give you a decker anyway). Have rolling a face character, when that shit is absolutely pointless in this game.

If you value your time, just skip it and play Dragonfall. Dragonfall fixes pretty much every problem Returns had.
>>
>>322144251
HK is practically Dragonfall 2.0.
>>
File: yougoddamn.jpg (43 KB, 592x448) Image search: [Google]
yougoddamn.jpg
43 KB, 592x448
>>322144251
Who the fuck said bad things about HK?
>>
>>322145243
I think he meant the quality of the prose, not the amount of shit you can choose to say.
>>
>>322145979
> Dragonfall fixes pretty much every problem Returns had.

Except, you know, the combat, the hallway map design, the yes/okay/fine dialogue and complete lack of choice (yeah you get one choice that has a consequence instead of zero but that's not good), retarded etiquette system, and every problem with Returns that isn't related to writing or deckers being useless.

It's just so weird to see people shit on one game but praise a nearly identical one
>>
>>322146885
Because writing.
>>
>>322146885
The etiquette system is fine. You can do so much with it, theoretically, it's how they used it that isn't.
>>
>>322145745
hong kong is fucking good. don't listen to that dumb nigger. Play dragonfall, then hong kong, and THEN pirate Returns, and copy the map files into dragonfall's engine. Works like a charm.
>>
>>322147203

> The etiquette system is fine.

Nigga what, it boils dialogue down to whether you were able to guess which of the etiquettes were useful and which weren't
>>
>>322145979
>Have fun rolling a decker that ends up completely obsolete because there's only two single instances where decking is an option (and they just give you a decker anyway). Have rolling a face character, when that shit is absolutely pointless in this game.

Because Deckers are entirely situational. If anything just get some points in rigging on the side so you get cool toys to play with when you're not wired in. And when Matrix missions come up you'll have a backup character in case you spread your karma too thinly.
>>
>>322147606
It's always shadowrunner ediquette/some street level shit for the beginning, and security/corp by the middle/end of it. What's not to get?
>>
>>322147606
Like I said, it's how they used it that isn't. In the editor, you can use it for almost anything, especially RP'ing wise.

But creating a heavily branching story with proper consequence based on how you acted was probably difficult to write so they went with the basics.
>>
>>322147947
also the fact etiquettes are REALLY not equally represented and as a result some are practically useless
>>
>>322147606
Or you could just roll a character, pick an etiquette that fits their story/personality and have fun with it instead of worrying about maximizing your etiquette usage
>>
>>322144140
Dragonfall was GOAT.

G O A T
O
A
T
>>
I honestly got bored around 2 hours in, it just feels so bland.

Does it get any better?
>>
>>322148760

No
>>
>>322148760
Shadowrun fans are barely interested in it because of the half-assed RP aspect and the mobile tier stat system. If the world doesn't hook you by the second hour, it's never going to be enjoyable for you.
>>
File: Shadowrun bad.png (1 MB, 1613x985) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun bad.png
1 MB, 1613x985
Dragonfall best.
>>
File: an offer you cant refuse.png (98 KB, 212x278) Image search: [Google]
an offer you cant refuse.png
98 KB, 212x278
>>322149319
those u-bahn scenes were the best mood setters in the entire game
>>
>>322147852

it's not hard to get, but it's still a retarded system that makes you waste karma if you thought it would use anything but the obvious ones

>>322147947

it's still shit because it uses either cha or etiquette instead of having etiquette add a bonus to cha tests like the PNP game

>>322148095
> missing out on content
> fun
>>
>>322150479
>knows how the PnP version works
>thinks RPing isn't fun

So... /tg/ dumped you here for being a shitty player, huh?
>>
Refund returns and use the money to get dragonfall
>>
File: 1441733762399.png (73 KB, 579x655) Image search: [Google]
1441733762399.png
73 KB, 579x655
>>322150906
> RPing
> in a video game with zero reactivity aside from one instance in DF and like two in HK
>>
>>322151282
>not just RP'ing in an CRPG for the sake of it

Caaaaasssssuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllll
>>
>>322151495
I sure love picking the angry yes option instead of the nice yes option then getting the same response regardless. Makes me feel like I'm really playing a PnP
>>
>>322151848
Yeah, I'm waiting for The Matrix to happen too.
>>
>>322150479
Can you really miss on content? Sure, you may not be able to skip a fight or get easier access to a room or something. There's usually a way to talk your way out of it or you can just git gud through it. It's not like there's plot you miss.
>>
HK is on my playlist after having finished both DMS and Dragonfall.
Will i get fucked again in HK if i make a decker, like in the previous games?
>>
>>322152674

You miss out on some conversations because you have to shoot everyone

> There's usually a way to talk your way out of it or you can just git gud through it

nigga what? Sometimes they give you alternate ways to avoid fights by doing something else but there was never a point where you can avoid a fight without a skill test
>>
>>322152942
Decker was fun desu.
>>
>>322152942
Rifle Decker is insanely powerful in Dragonfall, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
Threadly reminder that Vauclair was right.
>>
File: 1449792215545.jpg (53 KB, 560x510) Image search: [Google]
1449792215545.jpg
53 KB, 560x510
>>322153080
Oh no, you can't see all the different conversations in a game during one play through. Seriously dude?
>>
>>322144140

Returns is kinda dull, it starts off showing some nice promise but then suddenly has an awkward shift and really abrupt ending. The final mission also has utter bullshit enemies that are annoying to kill and there are loads of them.

>>322144251
A lot of people were spoiled by Director's Cut and I think they pushed HK out a bit too early since certainly for me at least it was and still is pretty buggy.

It is a lot wordier but that is what backers wanted and paid for, the main home hub is also far larger but that's kind of a detriment since it means checking in with everyone after missions is a pain.

The cast certainly feel weaker especially since the mandatory decker buddy in this one is obnoxious as fuck and not in the goofy kinda way like Dragonfall's was.

Decking as well is much different, it is more fleshed out and more challenging split into some poorly implemented stealth system, a simon says minigame and then your basic combat as in Dragonfall. Personally I hate the new decking system and think it falls flat on it's arse but other people do love it.

It is mostly an improvement on Dragonfall though, combat is a much smaller focus in this game and a lot more skills are used in more interesting ways to help avoid fighting as well.
>>
>>322154581
It is mostly an improvement on Dragonfall though, combat is a much smaller focus in this game

Is it? Felt the same, although I guess there was more parts where you can just walk around and avoid all the fights

> a lot more skills are used in more interesting ways to help avoid fighting as well.

That's not really an improvement in the way they do it, instead of making it so you solve situations in different ways, they give you a ton of identical ways to solve the same problem.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.